What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bush injures finger (1 Viewer)

Coach Cable being very coy regarding Bush's injury....

Cable on Bush: I didn’t know he was out

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 at 11:56 am in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Tom Cable was playing it coy with the Tennessee media regarding the availability of running back Michael Bush when the Raiders visit the Titans Sunday.

Asked if Darren McFadden would get a featured role with Bush out of the game, Cable said, “First of all, I didn’t know Michael Bush was out. But if Darren is playing, we have high expectations for him as well as Mike.”

When Cable was asked about his expectations for Bush, he said, “I think we’ve got two good running backs. I expect good things from both guys, they both can run and catch and block. I think they give us something—both of them.”

Bush came off the field following the morning walkthrough with only a small bandage and splint on his left thumb. Practice is scheduled to get underway shortly

Michael Bush update

Status quo for injuries

Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 at 1:01 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Linebacker Travis Goethel, cornerback Walter McFadden and wide receiver Chaz Schilens were not present for warmups and drills for the media window of the Raiders practice Wednesday.

Running back Michael Bush had his left hand and thumb protected with a wrap that seemed bigger in size than the one he used the previous day. When running backs and defenders were going through a deflection drill, tipping the ball in the air for the purpose of players to practice catching interceptions, Bush went through the line but did not participate.

The drill portion was heavy with regard to turnovers, with defenders practicing picking up fumbles on the run.

More to come later . . .

Seems like they want the Titans to prepare for Bush but probably won't play him.
Agreed, if you are afraid of having your running back to tipping drills how confident would you be putting him out there on Sunday. I would rather have them hold bush out another week so he comes back full strength. So Mcfadden has a week or two to showcase what he can do. I am not that worried.

Cable: Bush `improved’

Friday, September 10th, 2010 at 11:09 am in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Tom Cable said running back Michael Bush was improved during the short Friday practice and officially listed him as questionable for Sunday’s season opener in Tennessee.

Bush was essentially a spectator during the media window, holding a football in his right hand and watching running backs and tight ends run through half-speed patterns near the goal line.

Once practice was underway, Cable, said Bush “Took reps, caught the ball, ran with it, it’s a matter of how it reacts, how it responds.”

Asked if Bush had caught passes thrown with some velocity or just softer throws, Cable said, “No, we threw some stuff to him today.”

Also listed as “questionable” along with Bush is defensive tackle Desmond Bryant (elbow). Wide receiver Chaz Schilens (knee), cornerback Walter McFadden (hamstring) and linebacker Travis Goethel (lower back) did not practice, were listed as out, and will not be among the 45 players who suit up for the game.

More to come . . .

Just my opinion, even if Bush plays, Mcfadden will get the bulk of the work after his good game last week.

Just my opinion, even if Bush plays, Mcfadden will get the bulk of the work after his good game last week.
Probably true. The team wants nothing more than McFadden to be the guy, and while he didn't set the world on fire on Sunday, he certainly helped his stock.

Probably true. The team wants nothing more than McFadden to be the guy, and while he didn't set the world on fire on Sunday, he certainly helped his stock.
What is your definition of "setting the world afire?"McFadden had 150 total yards against what should be at the end of the year a top 10 defense. Overall, I'd compare his day favorably to Chris Johnson, since the Raiders run defense is below average to pathetic. McFadden made some good tough interior runs and was consistently making positive plays. If McFadden can keep this up, I'd like to see the Raiders mimic the Giants Bradshaw/Jacobs combo. But Bush needs to heal up all the way. A few short weeks is nothing compared to it not healing correctly and it affecting his long-term career.

Bush fully practiced today........I'm starting DMC...anyone think otherwise??? Anyone think Bush might be a factor this week???

If Bush is healthy they will both see carries . It will be like Arizona. McFadden the starter & recieving back ( Hightower) and Bush the bigger , stronger back ( Wells). After last week I think McFadden starts and gets a few more carries then Bush like 60-40 and I am a Bush owner but we all know that AL Davis want McFadden to succed. .

I already have Wells and its a suckky situation when your dealing with two guys and if Bush can have a big game I will try to trade him for anything of value and If I had McFadden I probally would do the same if McFadden has a big game again against the Rams. just like its hard to play either Hightower or Wells when they both play , will be the same with Dmac and Bush. A Situation that will drve you crazy every week. I want nothing to do with the OAK running game if both are in there. Niether would be any more then a RB3 / Flex play at that point.

I agree with the Dmac ownes that he has more value then Bush but after this week ( IF Bush is back by week 3 ) sell , sell , sell and dont look back. Honestly Dmac has disaponted way too many times . and its not injuries. Been following Dmac since college and he has played many games with no injuries and he really is not a great RB. hes good but hes just like Reggie Bush. same type of player . Fast and talented but not really a NFL running back. And both of them are injury prone.

Neither will make it through the season without getting hurt again. Dmac gets criticized for that and rightfully so (He has been in ijured alot) but so has Bush. they both are an injury waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bush fully practiced today........I'm starting DMC...anyone think otherwise??? Anyone think Bush might be a factor this week???
Cable said they need them both to play a lot. :football:
I keep getting the impression that Cable wants Bush to be the guy. I doubt it happens this week though. I would start McFadden this week but I would try to trade him after this week if he has a good day.

Cable said they need them both to play a lot. :lmao:
I keep getting the impression that Cable wants Bush to be the guy. I doubt it happens this week though. I would start McFadden this week but I would try to trade him after this week if he has a good day.
That's funny, but I always had the opposite impression. It was only last year that Cable was trying to convert Bush to FB.I think Cable just wants to see his RBs run aggressively and stay healthy. Which is in most cases an oxymoron :P

A Raider fan or Local can probally better access this but I (Going back to last yar) see Cable as wanting Bush to be the man and AL Davis wanting McFadden to be the man. But we all know who wins that Battle so McFadden as I said will be the more valuable but both will eat each others value . Now if this was a good team with a good offense then they both might have value ala Bradshaw and Jacobs on the Giants but it probally a guessing game every week to which one has more fantasy points.Again rather own neither.

enough work to go around against a soft Rams rush defense :wall:

also, if the Raiders get a lead early, which they shoud be able to do, why would they run Bush out when they can save him for another day..?

probably a 70/30 split, dmac/bush

richn said:
Any word on if his hand was still wrapped up? He practiced fully last week but w/ a club on his hand. If it is still wrapped up I would doubt he would play unless they think the wrap will be off. To much ball security issues.

What is your definition of "setting the world afire?"McFadden had 150 total yards against what should be at the end of the year a top 10 defense. Overall, I'd compare his day favorably to Chris Johnson, since the Raiders run defense is below average to pathetic. McFadden made some good tough interior runs and was consistently making positive plays. If McFadden can keep this up, I'd like to see the Raiders mimic the Giants Bradshaw/Jacobs combo. But Bush needs to heal up all the way. A few short weeks is nothing compared to it not healing correctly and it affecting his long-term career.
I don't think McFadden really did well. Yes I do see the stats and from a fantasy perspective, he did very well. But it was all garbage time. The game was out of hand early. When a defense is playing prevent on a 3rd & 20 and McFadden runs for 16 yards, yes that is nice in the stat book but it takes the meaning out of it. If the defense is trying to stop OAK in a close game, I just don't see DMC doing much. Bush in my opinion can handle the load better than DMC can.

Michael Bush, RB, Oakland Raiders Thursday 9/16, 10:49 AM CT

Raiders coach Tom Cable said on Thursday that once running back Michael Bush (thumb) is declared healthy, he and Darren McFadden "will share the workload," according to the Contra Costa Times. Bush "has a chance" to play against the Rams this week.

Good news and bad news for the Oakland Raiders, who were crushed in Week 1 against the Tennessee Titans, ahead of their very winnable game Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.

Starting running back Michael Bush, who broke his thumb in the preseason and sat out the Titans loss, returned to practice on Wednesday and had no lingering effects from his injury. He could play this week against the Rams, although he will share the workload with Darren McFadden whenever he returns, according to Coach Tom Cable

Oakland RB Michael Bush’s thumb is much improved and he should be ready Sunday against a bad Rams defense. Bush’s return means Darren McFadden’s fantasy value plummets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Bush, RB, Oakland Raiders Thursday 9/16, 10:49 AM CTRaiders coach Tom Cable said on Thursday that once running back Michael Bush (thumb) is declared healthy, he and Darren McFadden "will share the workload," according to the Contra Costa Times. Bush "has a chance" to play against the Rams this week.Good news and bad news for the Oakland Raiders, who were crushed in Week 1 against the Tennessee Titans, ahead of their very winnable game Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.Starting running back Michael Bush, who broke his thumb in the preseason and sat out the Titans loss, returned to practice on Wednesday and had no lingering effects from his injury. He could play this week against the Rams, although he will share the workload with Darren McFadden whenever he returns, according to Coach Tom CableOakland RB Michael Bush’s thumb is much improved and he should be ready Sunday against a bad Rams defense. Bush’s return means Darren McFadden’s fantasy value plummets.
I guess a lot of these reports are just opinion. From this website:RB halfway through regular healing time for thumb Running back Michael Bush, listed as having practiced without limitations the previous day, was limited Thursday. Wearing a glove over his left hand which protected a fractured thumb, he politely declined to answer any questions about the injury. It’s worth noting the Raiders were in full pads Thursday, meaning Bush may not be ready for full-on contact with the thumb. Sunday will be the 20th day since he had surgery for an injury which normally takes four to six weeks to heal in a best-case scenario. (Contra Costa Times)FF Today's Take: Bush's practice schedule was pretty much the same this week as it was last week, meaning he probably won't go vs. the Rams in Week 2. Darren McFadden owners should enjoy another week of feature-back status from him, although it should be noted the Oakland Tribune reported earlier in the day that Bush will share the workload with McFadden when he is healthy. It looks like Mcfadden has one more week to himself.

Users who are viewing this thread