What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MIKE X. WILLIAMS (1 Viewer)

Reminds me of Josh Hamilton-type story. I'd like to see this kid light it up, he has all the tools.
I'm sorry.. but how do u figure? Mike Williams was never the most talented player to come into the draft in years nor did he have the physical tools for his profession that Hamilton did... Mike Williams also didnt waste years because he was doing drugs/booze.... he's always been around trying to make a team. Hamilton wasted years and still came back to be great. Sorry.. but not even close.
Are you kidding? He was a top 10 draft pick because of his monsterous potential as an NFL WR. 6'5" 230 pound guys with speed, hands, and freakish athleticism are not commonplace. He just let himself go (got up to 270 pounds at one point) and was out of the league because he couldn't keep his mind and body together. There ARE parallels to the Josh Hamilton story - two guys whose potential talent was wasted for years because of personal issues.
It's not close.. Hamilton was a freak at the hardest sport to play... Williams played at a big time program where he was good. Mike Williams isnt a physical freak. If he was he wouldnt have had such a hard time getting back. He was also never 270.. that was all speculationMike Williams could never have left his sprot for years to come back and be great... if he could he'd be better right now. I dont understand the rant.. Mike Williams has been around and still hasnt done D*CK?!? How are the 2 comparable when 1 guy left his sprot for years to come back to be great.. other has been around and still isnt?

Last edited by a moderator:
What of Tate? Any threat here?
I managed to watch all of Seattle's pre-season games and Tate had a horrible pre-season (which upsets me having spent a 1st round rookie pick on him in July). He admitted that he was having trouble adjusting and learning the playbook and dropped to the 5th WR behind Deon Butler. At this point, BMW is the man to own in Seattle. Tate will improve as the year goes on but probably would be more of a threat to Branch at that point than Williams. In dynasty formats I still like Tate longterm, but for the immediate future BMW will be a target hog in that offence until the rest of the team improves.

We need more projections from those in tune with the situation. Receptions? Yards? Touchdowns?
It's a completely different regime from last year, so projections are sketchy. I'm of the opinion that, by season's end, Mike X. will be Seattle's #1 target. Housh had 135 targets for 79 rec. in that role last year. Where I think we all need to keep expectations in check is the touchdowns. As undervalued as I "think" this guy is, it's irresponsible to simply ignore the pink elephant in the room that is the O-Line. There's legit concerns there, and this offense isn't as proficient as it was 3-4 years ago. All that said, I'm going to conservatively give him 120 targets, 75 receptions, 13.0 ypc (975 yds) and 5 touchdowns. If the Seahawks do in fact move Housh and Williams improves at all upon what we've seen in the preseason - there's a ceiling of 87-1,200-8.

We need more projections from those in tune with the situation. Receptions? Yards? Touchdowns?
It's a completely different regime from last year, so projections are sketchy. I'm of the opinion that, by season's end, Mike X. will be Seattle's #1 target. Housh had 135 targets for 79 rec. in that role last year. Where I think we all need to keep expectations in check is the touchdowns. As undervalued as I "think" this guy is, it's irresponsible to simply ignore the pink elephant in the room that is the O-Line. There's legit concerns there, and this offense isn't as proficient as it was 3-4 years ago. All that said, I'm going to conservatively give him 120 targets, 75 receptions, 13.0 ypc (975 yds) and 5 touchdowns. If the Seahawks do in fact move Housh and Williams improves at all upon what we've seen in the preseason - there's a ceiling of 87-1,200-8.
I was considering dropping Louis Murphy for him in one league. Good move or overreaction to the hype? My other receivers are Calvin Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, T.O., and Laurent Robinson.

Professional Career Receiving Statistics

Year Team G Rec Yards Y/R TD LNG

2005 Detroit Lions 14 29 350 12.1 1 49

2006 Detroit Lions 8 8 99 12.3 1 21

2007 Oakland Raiders 6 7 90 12.9 0 24

2007 Tennessee Titans 2 0 0 0.0 0 0

Total 30 44 539 12.2 2 49 :shock:

Professional Career Receiving StatisticsYear Team G Rec Yards Y/R TD LNG2005 Detroit Lions 14 29 350 12.1 1 492006 Detroit Lions 8 8 99 12.3 1 212007 Oakland Raiders 6 7 90 12.9 0 242007 Tennessee Titans 2 0 0 0.0 0 0Total 30 44 539 12.2 2 49 :shock:
Everyone knows his stats and prior bust status. You gotta think outside the box on this one. Invest if the price is right, not much to lose.

So nice to know i own this kid in 95% of my 40 plus cash leagues and been drafting him since early June as good info about him has been out here since then. I say hes the most targeted WR in Seat and will approach 1,000 plus yards with 75/8-10 TD type numbers...kids a beast and can YAC like crazy also! I am just hoping he can hold up as durability is now the issue for him.

Professional Career Receiving StatisticsYear Team G Rec Yards Y/R TD LNG2005 Detroit Lions 14 29 350 12.1 1 492006 Detroit Lions 8 8 99 12.3 1 212007 Oakland Raiders 6 7 90 12.9 0 242007 Tennessee Titans 2 0 0 0.0 0 0Total 30 44 539 12.2 2 49 :shock:
Because he was not good before means he cannot be good now?It's been a long time so I don't remember...did he ever look as good as he does now with the Lions? Even in TC/preseason?

I'd say any projection of 70 catches and 800 yards or more are ridiculous. The Seahawks will trade for Vjax.. otherwise they'll be same garbage offense as they were last year.

Mike Williams will not out preform Jabar Gaffney...

In a 12 team league would you drop either Burleson or Devery Henderson for X?
Yeah Ace. Drop Devery for this guy now. You can buy me a beer later.
You may be right but doesn't Henderson hold good value as a starting WR for one of the best passing games in the league.Saints | Marques Colston and Devery Henderson likely starters (Sat Aug 21, 03:08 PM) - New Orleans Saints WRs Marques Colston and Devery Henderson are likely to be the team's starting receivers again this season, reports Les East, of The Advocate.

I was considering dropping Louis Murphy for him in one league. Good move or overreaction to the hype? My other receivers are Calvin Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, T.O., and Laurent Robinson.
That's tough. I'm a fan of Murphy's with Campbell finally giving the Raiders some semblance of a QB and Schilens utter inability to stay on the field. I love your WR's though - they're rock solid. I still say do it. Swing for the fences.

You may be right but doesn't Henderson hold good value as a starting WR for one of the best passing games in the league.Saints | Marques Colston and Devery Henderson likely starters (Sat Aug 21, 03:08 PM) - New Orleans Saints WRs Marques Colston and Devery Henderson are likely to be the team's starting receivers again this season, reports Les East, of The Advocate.
Problem is, there's so many cooks in the kitchen for the Saints. Regardless of what the depth chart reads, Meachem carved out a serious role last year. In non-ppr, big play bonus, you could make a case for Devery - but I don't think you'll be losing much in standard formats. Also need to factor in your other starting WR's. If you're strong at WR1 and WR2, Mike X. becomes a luxury risk you can afford. But we should probably get the thread back to Mike X. here.

I'd say any projection of 70 catches and 800 yards or more are ridiculous. The Seahawks will trade for Vjax.. otherwise they'll be same garbage offense as they were last year.

Mike Williams will not out preform Jabar Gaffney...
You say that as if a trade for Jackson would wreck him. He could still get 100 targets as Seattle's #2. Given that, 70 catches and 800 yards would be fairly close. You do realize that fewer than 20 WR's last year topped 70 catches and fewer than 30 topped 800 yards don't you? He'll be a fantasy WR3 WITH Jackson as a Seahawk (which is far from anything we can etch in stone right now).

Problem is, there's so many cooks in the kitchen for the Saints. Regardless of what the depth chart reads, Meachem carved out a serious role last year. In non-ppr, big play bonus, you could make a case for Devery - but I don't think you'll be losing much in standard formats. Also need to factor in your other starting WR's. If you're strong at WR1 and WR2, Mike X. becomes a luxury risk you can afford. But we should probably get the thread back to Mike X. here.
So what do you guys think in a PPR league: Legadu Naanee or Mike Williams? I've got Legadu as my last rated WR but I'm really considering dropping him for BMW.

So what do you guys think in a PPR league: Legadu Naanee or Mike Williams? I've got Legadu as my last rated WR but I'm really considering dropping him for BMW.
Unless you have a couple of behemoths as your one and two, I think the prudent thing is to hang onto Legedu...for now. I'd have an itchy trigger finger though if Mike X. shows well against the 9ers.

I bought in today. 13th round of a 10 teamer, start 3WRs. Probably could've waited, but I am feeling it here. All signs point to a consistent production if he is the #2, with his height I can see him as the red zone target. I like him for 5 catches a game with high upside. 65 900 6TD as a low with hourh gone and whether they get VJAX or not.

Interesting to read what players some owners here are gonna drop to pick up BMW. We use blind bidding in my league (using fantasy $), and I was gonna put a small bid on Huggins, but guess I'll have another bid on BMW (dropping Lance Moore who I drafted in the last Rd for s--ts & giggles). I do have to say BMW looks to be in good physical shape (based on the one pre-season game of Seattle's that I did see).

I'd say any projection of 70 catches and 800 yards or more are ridiculous. The Seahawks will trade for Vjax.. otherwise they'll be same garbage offense as they were last year. Mike Williams will not out preform Jabar Gaffney...
Fácil tigre. Your attachment to this particular subject matter seems strong. Why?VJax seems destined for a long sit down.

:no: That's about the polar opposite of "conservative." That would make him a fringe Top 25 fantasy WR on your conservative low side and an elite fantasy option at the high side. This, for a guy, who had a career high 29 receptions as a rookie in 2005? :no:

I suspect the Seahawks are looking at bringing someone else in, and let's also remember this isn't a team that's going to throw for 4,000 yards and 25 TDs. Butler and Branch have looked as good as Tate has looked bad, and both will play a country ton.

I submitted new projections last night and gave him:

...and that kind of felt like I was buying into the hype a bit too much. :D

So the guy has not done much...so what. He is no risk/high reward where he was drafted before this news. I got him in round 16 at almost last pick. Below are the numbers of a player every person on this board wished they had drafted last year at this time....another player who did nothing prrior until his breakout. Would argue that Wiliams has more ralent than this guy.

Year G Rec Yds TD

2009 16 81 1,320 11

2008 12 13 278 2

2007 16 5 76 0

2006 9 0 0 0

Any guess to who I am talking about? Scroll down...

MILES AUSTIN. Yes undrafted/late round fantasy picks can turn into studs. As the lottery says you got to be in it to win it. Get BMW now

So the guy has not done much...so what. He is no risk/high reward where he was drafted before this news. I got him in round 16 at almost last pick. Below are the numbers of a player every person on this board wished they had drafted last year at this time....another player who did nothing prrior until his breakout. Would argue that Wiliams has more ralent than this guy. Year G Rec Yds TD2009 16 81 1,320 112008 12 13 278 22007 16 5 76 02006 9 0 0 0Any guess to who I am talking about? Scroll down...MILES AUSTIN. Yes undrafted/late round fantasy picks can turn into studs. As the lottery says you got to be in it to win it. Get BMW now
Sure, as with any player it's about risk/reward. Taking him as your last WR makes all the sense in the world. Taking him as though he's a lock to produce Top 25 numbers makes considerably less sense. The reason late round fliers (Austin included) are that way is because for every Austin there are 10 "late round fliers" that are dropped in the first week or two and never heard from again.

Jason Wood said:
FantasyTrader said:
Winky the tunnel ferret said:
:goodposting: That's about the polar opposite of "conservative." That would make him a fringe Top 25 fantasy WR on your conservative low side and an elite fantasy option at the high side. This, for a guy, who had a career high 29 receptions as a rookie in 2005? :no:

I suspect the Seahawks are looking at bringing someone else in, and let's also remember this isn't a team that's going to throw for 4,000 yards and 25 TDs. Butler and Branch have looked as good as Tate has looked bad, and both will play a country ton.

I submitted new projections last night and gave him:

...and that kind of felt like I was buying into the hype a bit too much. ;)
Jason I agree that the guy has only disappointed in his career but if BMW is the "talk of camp" and they cut/trade Housh - presumably BMW is the #1 target for Hass - Hass has even gone as far to say that BMW could be there "Brandon Marshall".I understand he hasn't done much in the past - but he has all the physical tools and the highlights I've seen of him thus far, he really reminds me of Brandon Marshall and/or TO.

I smell good value here - Housh had 79 receptions in this offence last year. I think Hass likes BMW and as others have said on the board Miles Austin came out of nowhere to be a top5 WR last year.

I think BMW is worth a flier and has good upside. He might not be top5 or top10 or even top20 but I think he can definately finish inside of the top25 being the #1 in Seattle

WOW!

I'm shocked that knowledgable NFL and Fantasy fans are all over this dude after one PRESEASON,

Many factors for why the hype should be overlooked.

1. He's just not good...His stats (Rec, Yards, Tds)

2007 - 7 90 0

2006 - 8 99 1

2005 - 29 350 1

2. 3 diff teams in 3 years, none of the teams WR core were stellar by any means, so why didnt he hack it there? Det, Oak, Ten

3. Pete Carroll is his former College HC, he is not building up this guy to reporters just because.

4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing.

5. I can't believe we have given this guy a nickname, and his own street name in SoCal....I'm baffled!

I'm staying away, and will await the thread of people who were dissapointed with his production, then I will revert back to this thread.

WOW!I'm shocked that knowledgable NFL and Fantasy fans are all over this dude after one PRESEASON,Many factors for why the hype should be overlooked.1. He's just not good...His stats (Rec, Yards, Tds)2007 - 7 90 0 2006 - 8 99 1 2005 - 29 350 12. 3 diff teams in 3 years, none of the teams WR core were stellar by any means, so why didnt he hack it there? Det, Oak, Ten 3. Pete Carroll is his former College HC, he is not building up this guy to reporters just because.4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing. 5. I can't believe we have given this guy a nickname, and his own street name in SoCal....I'm baffled!I'm staying away, and will await the thread of people who were dissapointed with his production, then I will revert back to this thread.
Have you WATCHED him play this pre-season, not just looked at his production?

WOW!I'm shocked that knowledgable NFL and Fantasy fans are all over this dude after one PRESEASON,Many factors for why the hype should be overlooked.1. He's just not good...His stats (Rec, Yards, Tds)2007 - 7 90 0 2006 - 8 99 1 2005 - 29 350 12. 3 diff teams in 3 years, none of the teams WR core were stellar by any means, so why didnt he hack it there? Det, Oak, Ten 3. Pete Carroll is his former College HC, he is not building up this guy to reporters just because.4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing. 5. I can't believe we have given this guy a nickname, and his own street name in SoCal....I'm baffled!I'm staying away, and will await the thread of people who were dissapointed with his production, then I will revert back to this thread.
See reason 4

Sorry but I've watched every game and when he is on the field Matt is always looking for him, big target and making some brilliant catches, we have some great talented receivers right now and this offence will score, BMW will benefit.

See reason 4
You miss the point. I haven't quoted stats. Simply watched him. His ability and physical presence is extremely evident. Granted, I have an amatuer eye for sure, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Housh is being released/traded along with BMW's emergence. Quite frankly, I think this came down to 'whose the better #1 WR?". BMW is.

WOW!

I'm shocked that knowledgable NFL and Fantasy fans are all over this dude after one PRESEASON,

2007 - 7 90 0

2006 - 8 99 1

2005 - 29 350 1

2. 3 diff teams in 3 years, none of the teams WR core were stellar by any means, so why didnt he hack it there? Det, Oak, Ten

3. Pete Carroll is his former College HC, he is not building up this guy to reporters just because.

4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing.

5. I can't believe we have given this guy a nickname, and his own street name in SoCal....I'm baffled!

I'm staying away, and will await the thread of people who were dissapointed with his production, then I will revert back to this thread.
See reason 4
You miss the point. I haven't quoted stats. Simply watched him. His ability and physical presence is extremely evident. Granted, I have an amatuer eye for sure, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Housh is being released/traded along with BMW's emergence. Quite frankly, I think this came down to 'whose the better #1 WR?". BMW is.
BMW is the better NFL Caliber #1 WR then Housh? Says who Carrol? 4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing.

WOW!

2007 - 7 90 0

2006 - 8 99 1

2005 - 29 350 1

See reason 4
So you haven't seen him play?

See reason 4
Yes I have, again its preseason... I also watched him play when he was in Detroit...and Oakland...and Tennessee, Have you seen him play there?

See reason 4
Have you seen him play this year yet, either games or practice? he's lighting up the field dude beating cb's all over the place and is uncoverable on the jump ball....he looks like a chiseled out beast right now. I just hope alot more think like you as his ADP is FLYING up and i have a few more drafts yet and that sux since now i must think about were to land him instead of knowing i have the entire back end of the draft to grab him..I love what my ears and eyes are telling me on this kid and that's what i go by when playing this game.only concern for me is durability as he hasn't played in along time and was known to get nicked up in the past some. I'm ecstatic knowing i have this kid available on almost every team i own and all as cheap as possible :) . When he goes for 6/75/1 vs SF game one you will be wishing you had him.

While I certainly agree we need to keep expectations reasonable, we're not talking about an early-round draft pick here. For most, BMW would be a late-round flier or picked up as a free agent. I doubt the opportunity cost will cause many owners great disappointment. Also, one thing that you may be overlooking is that your numbers 1 & 2 occurred when he was woefully out of shape and apparently under-motivated. Again, one pre-season is hardly sufficient to prove he's overcome those limitations, but the evidence we do have is very positively suggestive.

Yes I have, again its preseason... I also watched him play when he was in Detroit...and Oakland...and Tennessee, Have you seen him play there?
DirtyWord,I think he's saying, once a lazy ### bum with $ in his back pocket, always a lazy bum with $ in his back pocket. We'll see. He may go back to being lazy but the guy has tremendous ability.

thehornet said:
this seattle receiver thing is a mess? who will be the most productive this year if housh is gone and they dont pick up v. jackson? anyone?
It doesn't seem all that messy to me. You have Branch and BMW. Then you have the backups Golden Tate and Deon Butler. What is so messy about that? Seems to be pretty cut and dried to me.

.To me, it isn't the stats he had in preseason, it is what my eyes saw in preseason. This isn't the same guy that played for the Titans, or Lions. Ran great routes, good hands, he LOOKED like a #1 WR. Sure it is the preseason, but if it was the regular season, he would be on a sharks team already. When I add up everything I saw in preseason, add in what other players and coaches have said, and DISCOUNT all the past history, I think he is a good player to take a shot at early. Unless Seattle does pick up someone like VJax, Williams looks to be the #1 WR, comming off a good looking preseason, in an offense that passes a fair bit, with a decent QB and easy schedule. What is not to like. Having said that, I am having to decide between guys like:Mike Williams (Sea)Mike Williams (TB)Malcom FloydJabbar GaffneyLaurent RobinsonLouis MurphyI like all these guys as a late round WR flier. I am going Floyd first, but then BMW ahead of Gaffney but I feel it is very close, I just think BMW has a higher ceiling then Gaffney. I sort of feel like I know what Gaffney can do.

BMW is the better NFL Caliber #1 WR then Housh? Says who Carrol?

Nope, but I don't see where that matters more than what happened this month. It's clear he blew his chance coming into the NFL. But why is a players performance back in 2006-2007 more relevant than seeing a guy perform after he's turned over a new leaf? I can understand the sentiment about the pre-season meaning little. But it can give insight. Two years ago, I remember watching rookies Matt Ryan and Chris Johnson. What impressed me about Ryan wasn't necessarily his on field play, which was solid, but the way he interacted with his team on the sidelines and instructed his O-Line when they were off the field. He was already demonstrating characteristics of bein the #1 guy. With CJ/LBJ, his explosion simply was not generally available. He had a 60 yard run where he was there one moment, gone the next. Fact is, if you saw BMW in his 3 previous NFL stops and haven't seen a different guy this last month...then I question whether you watched him this pre-season or whether you can tell the difference between a guy winging it vs. a guy taking it seriously. Watch some of his interviews, read some of his stories leading up to the season. BMW gets it now. His talent was never in question. To Sigmund's point, how often do you have a chance to pick up a penny stock and have it turn into something very valuable within a short period of time in FF? These are the opportunities that we all wait and thirst for. With as much information that exists out there to level the playing field, how many 'out-of-the-blue' opportunities are really out there anymore. Not many...yet you'd prefer to point to a point in BMW's career when he'll even tell you, he blew it, when evaluating his prospects. Doesn't make sense to crap on such a golden chance.

As for saying whose the better #1 WR, if Pete Carroll says so...isn't that the only opinion that really matters in this case?

Most late round sleepers never A) get an opportunity and B) don't have enough talent.

Mike Williams is being given every chance here AND he's a former first round pick. If he has as much talent as once though I don't see how he won't be a top 40 wr...and that's his absolute floor. With top 20 being his upside.

I'm shocked you are using reasons (#2, #3) that have nothing to do with the current BMW. He was fat, lazy, and out of shape with those teams. He is 40lbs thinner and a helluva lot more motivated. Pete Carroll cut Lendale White, regardless of past relationship. Of course, you do make a point in that it's preseason, but then discount it by intimating that the guy lacks the skills. He's never lacked the skills, he's lacked the desire and consistency. Who knows how well he does. But to "stay away" from a late, late round or WW guy? Makes little sense.

I've been following BMW's progress this past summer and I think that there's a good chance that he's productive this season and worth a pickup. DirtyWord and others have laid out most of the reasons why in this thread and a couple others as well. The only thing I'd like to add is that it costs next to nothing to pick him up off the waiver wire and find out what he does this season. I'm not surprised that people are skeptical and maybe they should be, but again, what is the downside to being wrong on BMW?

WOW!

diff teams in 3 years, none of the teams WR core were stellar by any means, so why didnt he hack it there? Det, Oak, Ten

.To me, it isn't the stats he had in preseason, it is what my eyes saw in preseason. This isn't the same guy that played for the Titans, or Lions. Ran great routes, good hands, he LOOKED like a #1 WR. Sure it is the preseason, but if it was the regular season, he would be on a sharks team already. When I add up everything I saw in preseason, add in what other players and coaches have said, and DISCOUNT all the past history, I think he is a good player to take a shot at early. Unless Seattle does pick up someone like VJax, Williams looks to be the #1 WR, comming off a good looking preseason, in an offense that passes a fair bit, with a decent QB and easy schedule. What is not to like. Having said that, I am having to decide between guys like:

Mike Williams (Sea)

Mike Williams (TB)

Malcom Floyd

Jabbar Gaffney

Laurent Robinson

Louis Murphy

I like all these guys as a late round WR flier. I am going Floyd first, but then BMW ahead of Gaffney but I feel it is very close, I just think BMW has a higher ceiling then Gaffney. I sort of feel like I know what Gaffney can do.
Duh you don't get it, it's just the preseason. Guys run and look and act different in August, and teams are only practicing plays and focusing on players that they'll never use. Completely pointless. Once it's September you'll see that MW is fat, lazy, slow, doesn't know the playbook, and has a QB and coach who hate him. Because that's what the regular season is all about.(for the skimmers)

:banned:

You either don't play in a shark league or you getting eaten up by the sharks every year with your reasoning on evaluating a player's upcoming season.

Sometimes the light goes on for guys. I still rememeber when Drew Brees was considered a Bum. They drafted Rivers to replace him and wham the light went on and hes one of the top QBs in football. Last year anyone who drafted that Bum Vernon Davis was told , hes a bum , no talent, waste of a draft pick. Well he was the best TE other then Dallas Clark last year and is a top 5 TE in football now. The light went on. I Understand why people are skepticval of guys like Davis or Williams but its not costing alot. Williams was barley drafted in most leagues and you can get a potential talent and starter at WR in the last round of your draft. he does not pan out you drop him for the flavor of the week. But like my Drafting Vernon davis late last year as a backup maybe he comes on and puts up #2 WR stats. Picking sleepers is part of the fun of Fantasy. All staying away from a player based on past history does is cost you a chance at a super sleeper. theres really no risk if its the last pick of your draft. Thats the ultimate value pick.

Sometimes the light goes on for guys. I still rememeber when Drew Brees was considered a Bum. They drafted Rivers to replace him and wham the light went on and hes one of the top QBs in football. Last year anyone who drafted that Bum Vernon Davis was told , hes a bum , no talent, waste of a draft pick. Well he was the best TE other then Dallas Clark last year and is a top 5 TE in football now. The light went on. I Understand why people are skepticval of guys like Davis or Williams but its not costing alot. Williams was barley drafted in most leagues and you can get a potential talent and starter at WR in the last round of your draft. he does not pan out you drop him for the flavor of the week. But like my Drafting Vernon davis late last year as a backup maybe he comes on and puts up #2 WR stats. Picking sleepers is part of the fun of Fantasy. All staying away from a player based on past history does is cost you a chance at a super sleeper. theres really no risk if its the last pick of your draft. Thats the ultimate value pick.
Nice :banned:

I'm not going to say BMW isn't worth a late round flier... he's got as much chance to produce as any flier (maybe more since SEA has no clear cut starter WR's IMO)... however a couple things that bug me about the arguments he's GOING to succeed..

1. He's a former first round draftpick. If idiot Matt Millen hadn't drafted BMW way too early in 2005.. who knows how far he would have fallen? I'm guessing out of the first round. People were projecting him as a TE because he wasn't looking so great coming into combines--and in 2004 hadn't posted great combine numbers either.

2. YAC--he's done it in preseason--but I don't think that translates... and I'm not sure how fast he is. He wasn't blazing fast in 2004/2005... if he's 230 now I don't know how blazing fast he is curently. Infact I'd bet in a long run he'd get caught from behind. (based on the 50 yard TD rec...).

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former Southern California wide receiver Mike Williams, the other orphan from the 2004 draft, lost the farm here Sunday.

AP Photo/John Harrell

Williams had "bet the farm" he'd run under 4.5 seconds in the 40. After Sunday, he likely won't place many more bets.Williams, who on Friday said he was "going to bet the farm" that he would run under 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash drill that is a key part of the standard workout at the predraft combine sessions, better get ready to turn over the deed to the barn.

On a day when many lesser-known receivers turned in scintillating times, Williams was unofficially clocked at 4.59 and 4.61 seconds in his two attempts. Those times were not significantly better than the 4.6-second 40 time he turnd in last spring, when it appeared he would be cleared to enter the 2004 draft.

An appeals court, of course, subsequently kept Williams and Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett from essentially re-writing the NFL's draft eligibility rules. Williams sought to have his eligibility restored, but the NCAA denied his request and he sat out the entire 2004 campaign.

While his performance wasn't nearly as disastrous as Clarett's abysmal Saturday session, in which the tailback was timed at 4.72 and 4.82, it was still disappointing for Williams.

"No excuses," he said. "I felt good and should have done better. I've just got to work harder, shave off some time, and impress people with my next shot."

Williams is scheduled to hold a personal workout for scouts in Tampa, his hometown, on March 10.

Some scouts suspect, though, that Williams will never run markedly faster times because he is such a big receiver. At 6-feet-4½ and 228 pounds, Williams presents a huge target, has good hands, is aggressive in going after the ball, and is tough coming across the middle on pass routes.

There are a few teams that believe Williams will be most effective in the NFL in an H-back role, but the likelihood is that he will be chosen as a wide receiver, and utilized at that position. Even with Sunday's poor 40 times, Williams is almost certain to be chosen in the first round, probably about the middle of the stanza.

"You know more about what you're getting with him [than with Clarett]," Bills coach Mike Mularkey said. "He hasn't been away from the game nearly as long, and he's got really good tools. I don't think the concerns are the same."

Despite the pedestrian times for Williams, the wide receiver workouts reinforced the notion that the position will once again be a deep one in the draft. Braylon Edwards of Michigan did not run the 40 but there were plenty of quick times as wideouts jostled for better draft positions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/colu...&id=2001470IF he's actually turned it around I give him props (and will be watching to grab him off WW).. All the negatives people posted about him in his NFL football past are true and more (he wasn't just a cheeseburger eater--he was a lazy--good for nothing slob in DET.. complete primadonna)--it would be a great story if he's pulled his head out of his rear and wised up.

Users who are viewing this thread