What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Offseason (2007) (1 Viewer)

what is this team going to do at QB?

draft Quinn with #7 if available?

In round2 take Troy Smith/Staton?

trade for Plummer/Carr?

sign Garcia? and draft a qb in round2?

what a mess, until the QB situation is resolved, really dont like this teams chances to compete even in the weak NFC. I expect the domination of the Lions to continue though.

Do you Vikings fans think T. Jackson will be "the man" next year or do you see Leftwich, Plummer, Garcia or maybe even Carr as a possibilty. I doubt they would use a high draft pick on another qb. Is Schwaub s guy you could see the front office trading for?
As much as I want to be optimistic about Jackson being able to play at this level I have one major concern about him.In the limited action we saw from Jackson he did not show good pocket awareness. He did not seem to be able to sense when the rush was closing in on him and his mechanics were terrible. I realise he is raw and some of this can be taught. But part of pocket awareness is instictual as well and I am sad to say I don't think he has it.I hope I am wrong but I see this as being a big problem with him. There are things an offesne can do to help him out such as rolling him out often. But I just have too many doubts about Jackson having "it".Maybe he will be fine in 2008 but he did not look ready to be a NFL starter in 2007 to me.
I'm wif dis guy.

I still believe Jackson has "it" even if it's not apparent quite yet. As was mentioned earlier, he ran the scout team all season until it became evident he would start. So you had a guy who's last meaningful game was almost one year prior, who hadn't run the offense daily in practice needing to get ready to play on a short week and then have a full week of practice. Add to that the iffy line that we saw all season and the WRs who either: A.) couldn't get open or B.) catch the ball. I'm completely ready to roll into this season with Jackson beating out Bollinger to take the starting job.

I'm absolutely not going to bring in a quitter in Moss who is going to run only fly and sideline routes, just to see him quit when the team struggles. This team will struggle, at least early. It's obvious they need to bring in receivers and whether it's free agents or draft choices, it will take a while for them to get acclimated to the offense and the QB. It almost always does. Obviously Calvin Johnson would be the dream of most Viking fans, but Jarrett would be fine too. Give me guys who want to compete and can actually catch the balls that hit their hands. I'd be fine waiting for the second round to get a receiver. There should be options available at the Vikings 2nd pick.

Addressing DE at #7 wouldn't bother me. They're going to have to pay someone at that slot, so what's the big deal if it's another DE? Sure you'd have a lot of money tied up in the DE position, but if you bring in a guy who can actually get a sack, Udeze is going to be allowed to walk after the season as he'd be expendable.

Adrian Peterson would be fine with me. A QB on the first day would not.

I would like to see them go after guys like Daniel Graham, Eric Johnson, Donte Stallworth, Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis, DJ Hackett, Jarred Allen and Justin Smith in free agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I DO like about Jackson is that he has a VERY live arm. The ball just explodes off his fingers.

Another thing that I have a tough time figuring out is the linebacker situation. Signing E.J. Henderson to that contract makes no sense to me. You now have E.J., Leber, and Greenway to play the outside but nobody on the inside (Nap Harris? Please. :shrug: ). I wouldn't mind seeing them acquire London Fletcher-Baker to play the middle.

Udeze gets a bad rap since he was playing the opposite side he normally does. Has anyone heard how Erasmus James' rehab has gone? Will he be ready by camp?

The thing I DO like about Jackson is that he has a VERY live arm. The ball just explodes off his fingers.Another thing that I have a tough time figuring out is the linebacker situation. Signing E.J. Henderson to that contract makes no sense to me. You now have E.J., Leber, and Greenway to play the outside but nobody on the inside (Nap Harris? Please. :lmao: ). I wouldn't mind seeing them acquire London Fletcher-Baker to play the middle.Udeze gets a bad rap since he was playing the opposite side he normally does. Has anyone heard how Erasmus James' rehab has gone? Will he be ready by camp?
Shouldn't we be expecting to see EJ in the middle with Greenway and Leber on each side? I would be interested to see them bring in a guy like Fletcher.I remember reading that James didn't have his surgery until at least a month after originally scheulded, but haven't seen anything about his rehab. I guess we won't hear anything about it unless something goes wrong or we get to mini camp time. If they do bring in another DE, any chance we see them try to move Udeze inside from time to time to get a little better pass rush than Pat Williams can provide? Either way, I expect Udeze to move on unless he has a breakout season.

I guy I would be interested in seeing the Vikings bring in if he is available at a fair price is Byron Leftwich. I am not sure he is available but there was talk last season of Jacksonville maybe going to Garrard. I believe Leftwih would make a fine starting QB on the Vikings.

I guy I would be interested in seeing the Vikings bring in if he is available at a fair price is Byron Leftwich. I am not sure he is available but there was talk last season of Jacksonville maybe going to Garrard. I believe Leftwih would make a fine starting QB on the Vikings.
I've said this a couple of times to my buddies, so I'm in complete agreement with this. :shrug:

Where to begin?

(1) First and foremost, get a real GM. It is not working to have a real estate tycoon (Wilf), a calculator holding attorney (Brzezinski), an invisible personnel guy (Spielman) and an unproven head coach (Childress) playing "who's job is it today?" For once it would be nice to know who is accountable, and have the impression strong leadership has a vision. Only Spielman strikes me as being a voice of football experience, but my guess is he treads lightly for fear of being the next Fran Foley [who aside from lying on his resume, reportedly ruffled feathers trying to <gasp> do personnel work]. This current arrangement is rife for territorial infighting and "ok you get your way this time but I get my way next time" back scratching.

(2) Get Childress the heck away from GM and Offensive coordinator duties. Until he proves he's something more than the clipboard-holding yes-man he was in Philly, he should not be entrusted with anything but being a head coach. His ego is in the way of this team at present, end of story. The only way I let a head coach call plays is if he got a HC position because playcalling was a strength. That's simply not the case here, it is nothing more than muscle flexing. Maybe if his schedule is freed up a bit he can focus, for example, on fielding a team that does not lead the league in penalties.

(3) Fire Darrell Bevell as OC and replace him with a proven OC. Frankly I don't care if Bevell is the next great offensive mind of our era. I'll take that chance. When an OC is brought in not to call plays, he was brought in for the wrong reasons (i.e. to be happily and quietly under the head coach's thumb). An NFL team should have higher aspirations than hiring nobodies so that its head coach has a justification to call plays.

(4) Fire the existing OL coaching staff immediately. If you can't cook with those ingredients, then you can't cook worth a darn in the NFL.

(5) I don't want to read of any new additions to this team with prior Wisconsin Badger/Philadelphia ties. If it happens, it's because recommendation #2 is being broken.

(6) Trade up for Calvin Johnson or in the alternative take Jarrett at #7. And while we’re on the topic of WRs, please God no more posting of the name ‘Kevin Curtis’ in this thread. With all due respect, the #3 WR in St. Louis does absolutely nothing for me as a #1 WR option in Minnesota. I chalk up the delusion I see in this thread to "scarred fan syndrome" but it's no less pathetic than if fans of a mid-90's NFL team were clamoring for their team to go after Wayne Chrbet. It’s this sort of underwhelming solution at key offensive positions (i.e. Brad Johnson, Chester Taylor, pick your WR to name) that has this team paying dearly, based on the dismal product they put on my TV set in 2006 {hell no I wouldn't pay to go see this product live}. This is a team that must sign, trade for, or draft a *legitimate* #1 WR that this fanbase can be excited about. Kevin Curtis, and most of the other mediocre WRs mentioned in this thread, are not that guy. And none of that even considers the necessity for real offensive threats if they plan to go with a young QB.

(7) Find a proven bona fide DC to replace Tomlin. Please god let this person not be a former Wisconsin coach, allowing Childress to call defensive plays.

(8) Dump Smoot, bring in a better nickel CB [assume Ced Griffin will be starting].

Andy, why all the hate for Nap Harris?? No, he isn't Urlacher but he isn't terrible and for over half the season, I thought he was playing well above average.

Andy, why all the hate for Nap Harris?? No, he isn't Urlacher but he isn't terrible and for over half the season, I thought he was playing well above average.
Maybe I'm too hard on him. I guess I'm bitter that they thought he was good enough to the point that they didn't need to draft DeMeco Ryans. He just seems really average to me, especially in coverage, and I think he's protected a LOT by having the Williams boys in front of him.

This team is sort of a mess. Completely unproven QB from a tiny I-AA school. WRs that should be good but can't catch a cold. The defense sould be very good again but who will coach? Childress and the OC did not establish any confidence. We brought in Greenway, who is the best cover LB I have ever seen, and then give EJ an extension to play OLB? I have heard the team thinks Greenway can play inside. Great, just because he never played MLB in high school or college doesn't mean anything.

The team is going to waste a very good defense while our QB of the future proves we need another QB of the future.

We have $30 some million with 4 teams or so with more money.

What we should do this offseason is:

1-dump Smoot

2-sign Plummer to a good contract that allows us to put most of the money into the 1st year. This will allow us to be flexible in coming years.

3-trade up for Calvin Johnson. A prospect like Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson doesn't come around too often.

Who Jarrett remind you all of? To me he's a ME-shawn Johnson, a good possession type receiver. Anyone know how fast is he? I want speed not just another possession-type receiver, not with our top pick.

As for the LB'ers, EJ probably will move back inside since Napster won't be resigned.

As for Action Jackson, give the kid a break guys. He'll come around. He'll need a veteran back-up behind him for sure to learn from and to push him. I also like the way he throws the deep ball, hence another reason why I want a speed WR if we go that way with our top pick.

Who Jarrett remind you all of? To me he's a ME-shawn Johnson, a good possession type receiver. Anyone know how fast is he? I want speed not just another possession-type receiver, not with our top pick.As for the LB'ers, EJ probably will move back inside since Napster won't be resigned.As for Action Jackson, give the kid a break guys. He'll come around. He'll need a veteran back-up behind him for sure to learn from and to push him. I also like the way he throws the deep ball, hence another reason why I want a speed WR if we go that way with our top pick.
Speed receiver? Williamson? I would welcome any possession type receiver that can move the chains. How easliy we forget how many first downs a possession guy like Cris Carter got us. I don't need speed, just a guy who can do two things...get open and catch the ball.(I don't mean to compare Jarrett to Carter. Just the first possession guy that popped into my head.)

Who Jarrett remind you all of? To me he's a ME-shawn Johnson, a good possession type receiver. Anyone know how fast is he? I want speed not just another possession-type receiver, not with our top pick.As for the LB'ers, EJ probably will move back inside since Napster won't be resigned.As for Action Jackson, give the kid a break guys. He'll come around. He'll need a veteran back-up behind him for sure to learn from and to push him. I also like the way he throws the deep ball, hence another reason why I want a speed WR if we go that way with our top pick.
Speed receiver? Williamson? I would welcome any possession type receiver that can move the chains. How easliy we forget how many first downs a possession guy like Cris Carter got us. I don't need speed, just a guy who can do two things...get open and catch the ball.(I don't mean to compare Jarrett to Carter. Just the first possession guy that popped into my head.)
I could NEVER forget Carter. I met him once and have a photo taken with him on one of my two times I visited the Twin Cities. Carter usually had a speed guy opposite of him and or someone else who teams couldn't always single up on, players like Anthony Carter, Qadry Ismail, Jake Reed and Randy. I think you always need speed guys and right now we have a bunch of #2-possession type receivers on the team, so I don't want another one coming with our overall pick.

I guess I am an optimist when looking at the Vikings (otherwise it hurts too much! :goodposting: ).

I know the offense was ugly this year (understatement of the year) but the personnel was mostly leftover from the old regime and the two offensive styles could not have been any more different. Also, if you take away the turnovers that Johnson had this season (at least a bunch of them anyway) and the fumbles of Chester, this team could have made the playoffs. Childress clearly saw that he didn't have playmakers on offense at the skill positions and game planned the ONLY way he could to try and be successful with this bunch.

This offseason should give us a chance to see what kind of plan they have in place. They have built the foundations on the OL and DL (four pro bowlers) and now can focus on the skill positions. If they leave the QB position alone, I highly expect them to draft a WR (or two) that can spread the field and run after the catch. (I still have faith in Williamson - like I said I am an optimist :D )

I didn't expect the Super Bowl this season but the play of the defense was a welcome sight and if the offense can grow they will be a contender sooner rather than later.

I could NEVER forget Carter. I met him once and have a photo taken with him on one of my two times I visited the Twin Cities. Carter usually had a speed guy opposite of him and or someone else who teams couldn't always single up on, players like Anthony Carter, Qadry Ismail, Jake Reed and Randy. I think you always need speed guys and right now we have a bunch of #2-possession type receivers on the team, so I don't want another one coming with our overall pick.
I am not questioning the need for a speed guy, but for several years before Moss, they relied on Jake Reed opposite CC. Ismail was a slot guy and while he could get deep, he never took coverage away from Carter. Reed was not really a speed guy either, although he could get deep by running double moves. Yes we have a lot of possession guys, but nothing that inspires a "I'm going to throw it somewhere in his area and I know he will catch it." Travis Taylor is as close as we have and while I think he would be a solid no. 3 WR, I don't want to rely on him in this position again. So, I would welcome Jarrett because I think he will be that guy. That's just my opinion. I am also in the minority, however, that would like to see them draft Jarrett and bring in (gasp) Drew Bennett. :wall: I think Bennett would give the receiving corp some much needed leadership.

Unless it's Calvin Johnson, which it wont' be, I can't see the Vikings taking a WR at #7. Here is what I think the Vikings' wishlist is for the #7 pick.

1) If Adrian Peterson drops to #7, take him.

2) Consider one of the top DE's, either Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson.

3) Laron Landry

If they're going to take a WR, it is likely in the 2nd at the earliest, maybe not even then.

I don't think Peterson is there, so talking about it is probably irrelevant, but I just don't see them taking Peterson if he is there. They have Chester and I think Childress is feeling pressure to turn this around now. Peterson would create a logjam at RB and there are so many other needs on this team, that I see them going another direction (DE, WR, CB, LB or S) or trading the pick to someone who really covets Peterson. Not saying that I wouldn't like to see him in purple next year. A combo of Taylor and Peterson sounds great, much like Bush and McAllister, but I don't see that as the Viking's direction. I am not completely sure what that direction is or if management sees their own direction either, however.

I don't think Peterson is there, so talking about it is probably irrelevant, but I just don't see them taking Peterson if he is there. They have Chester and I think Childress is feeling pressure to turn this around now. Peterson would create a logjam at RB and there are so many other needs on this team, that I see them going another direction (DE, WR, CB, LB or S) or trading the pick to someone who really covets Peterson. Not saying that I wouldn't like to see him in purple next year. A combo of Taylor and Peterson sounds great, much like Bush and McAllister, but I don't see that as the Viking's direction. I am not completely sure what that direction is or if management sees their own direction either, however.
I've said this before but...Yes, Chester had a very nice season. But he lacks that extra gear. How much better would Peterson have been? Given he's a premiere back, I'd say he could have done that much better than Chester. Put the two together, and I think you really have something.I think the Vikes philosophy is to RUN the ball. You say Peterson would create a logjam? I think you overrate Moore and Fason.But I also think you're right that it would be a miracle if he was even there to be picked. I think the debate is between Adams/Anderson/Landry. Even better would be for them to trade out of that spot, EITHER up or down, but I don't like predicting that.

I've said this before but...Yes, Chester had a very nice season. But he lacks that extra gear. How much better would Peterson have been? Given he's a premiere back, I'd say he could have done that much better than Chester. Put the two together, and I think you really have something.I think the Vikes philosophy is to RUN the ball. You say Peterson would create a logjam? I think you overrate Moore and Fason.But I also think you're right that it would be a miracle if he was even there to be picked. I think the debate is between Adams/Anderson/Landry. Even better would be for them to trade out of that spot, EITHER up or down, but I don't like predicting that.
Actually I have a tendency to under-rate Moore and Fason. I am not high on either. I just think taking Peterson at #7 creates a salary logjam. Chester already has starter money, so to tie up another chunk with what Peterson is slotted would be hard for the team to justify. At least Moore and Fason both came cheap.Again, not saying that I wouldn't like to see it, just that I doubt old Chilli would pull the trigger on that.

I agree 100%. If last year was what Childress is about, and he really wants to have a run dominated offense with a solid defense, then he would be insane to pass on Peterson if he was there. Sure, Chester is a nice back, but he's no focal point of an offense. If Childress passed on Peterson, what the heck would he be waiting for?The Vikes primary concern is the offense. The defense played well last season, but they lost when they couldn't score. They need to fix that, and if Childress is looking to improve the team immediately, the easiest, fastest way to do that would be to draft a premiere talent at RB. What good would it be to draft a defensive player at this spot if you still can't score (this is assuming he's motivated by improving the team right now. If he's looking at a 5 year plan, then he can go BPA here).

The wild card in all the Vikings draft talk is Erasmus James. If he's coming back healthy, they may bypass the DE position with the #1 pick and probably even the #2.

That would free them up to focus on other areas of need such as safety and skill positions on the offense.

I agree 100%. If last year was what Childress is about, and he really wants to have a run dominated offense with a solid defense, then he would be insane to pass on Peterson if he was there. Sure, Chester is a nice back, but he's no focal point of an offense. If Childress passed on Peterson, what the heck would he be waiting for?The Vikes primary concern is the offense. The defense played well last season, but they lost when they couldn't score. They need to fix that, and if Childress is looking to improve the team immediately, the easiest, fastest way to do that would be to draft a premiere talent at RB. What good would it be to draft a defensive player at this spot if you still can't score (this is assuming he's motivated by improving the team right now. If he's looking at a 5 year plan, then he can go BPA here).
:nerd: While Chester did good this year, one really has to wonder if any legit RB would have done worse than 1200 (4.0) behind that line. Yeah, the OL clearly didn't perform up to snuff in pass protection but it is a little more complicated to grade it on run blocking with a relatively plodding RB. I'd imagine the same holes created for Chester would have been more exploited by a shiftier RB. Chester is adequate, but I don't think you pass on a potential stud for the sake of maintaining adequacy. As mentioned by BD, getting a bona fide RB threat is definitely the quickest way to revitalize an offense, not to mention taking advantage of the OL they are assembling. I am still hoping for a WR in the 1st but I would be tickled pink if they took AP with that pick.

The wild card in all the Vikings draft talk is Erasmus James. If he's coming back healthy, they may bypass the DE position with the #1 pick and probably even the #2. That would free them up to focus on other areas of need such as safety and skill positions on the offense.
I'm a little burned out on the whole DE in the 1st thing after seeing the Viking's futility. A handful of guys like Kearse/Freeney have worked out being taken early in the 1st, but this is one of the few positions I'd use FA money rather than draft picks to solve. If it is as difficult as the Vikes have made it look to project this position, then why not just go after a proven commodity?

The wild card in all the Vikings draft talk is Erasmus James. If he's coming back healthy, they may bypass the DE position with the #1 pick and probably even the #2. That would free them up to focus on other areas of need such as safety and skill positions on the offense.
I'm a little burned out on the whole DE in the 1st thing after seeing the Viking's futility. A handful of guys like Kearse/Freeney have worked out being taken early in the 1st, but this is one of the few positions I'd use FA money rather than draft picks to solve. If it is as difficult as the Vikes have made it look to project this position, then why not just go after a proven commodity?
I actually think they've done pretty well. James was really coming on before he got hurt and looked like he was going to live up to his 1st round status. Udeze plays the run very well and was playing out of position this year. I'd rather they went WR, but just don't think they will.

I actually think they've done pretty well. James was really coming on before he got hurt and looked like he was going to live up to his 1st round status. Udeze plays the run very well and was playing out of position this year. I'd rather they went WR, but just don't think they will.
:lmao: by both of you. I think the ends are ok and really like Darrion Scott as an underrated role player as well. Edwards played well as a rookie so, even though I said I would like Adams if there, I hope they either trade up to get CJ or down and get Landry.

As a Steeler fan I gotta say, thanks for Tomlin :shrug:

I think you guys are in sore need of a Head Coach. Childress doesnt impress me.

Tavaris Jackson seems promising, why are you guys scrambling for another aging veteren? Bringing in another Brad Johnson would be a bad call. Defensively the vikes look to be alright. I'd be looking for OL and WRs.

As a Steeler fan I gotta say, thanks for Tomlin :lmao:
:lmao:
I think you guys are in sore need of a Head Coach. Childress doesnt impress me.
:lmao:
Tavaris Jackson seems promising, why are you guys scrambling for another aging veteren? Bringing in another Brad Johnson would be a bad call.
Because he's just not ready yet. I don't want another Brad Johnson, but I don't like starting the 2nd year player either.
Defensively the vikes look to be alright. I'd be looking for OL and WRs.
Have to get some pass rush. The only O-lineman position of need is RG, as I expect Ryan Cook to grow into the RT position.WR goes without saying. What a bunch of trash. Good thing we didn't need Hank Baskett :shrug: .

The team needs to go best player available at #7, whether it's a RB, WR, DE or whomever is there. If they don't want to do that, then they might as well trade down and look for extra picks.

The only guy I'd really love to see them get would be Johnson, otherwise just take the best player and roll. The absolute worst thing to me is busted first round picks whom you reached for out of need. Williamson?

BigJim® I hear what your saying about Kevin Curtis or the other free agent WRs being available not being true #1 game breaking WRs. However this is my reasoning behind signing one and Curtis in particular:

Even if we use our 7th overall pick on a WR most rookie WRs take a year to develop. We need a player who can fill in now while a rookie WR develops. We could keep Travis Taylor for that I guess but I think Curtis is better than him and Curtis can streach the field more than TT. I think he is a pretty decent WR actualy it is no easy task to beat out Ike Bruce and Torry Holt.

Curtis is still pretty young for a WR at 28. I think he is reaching his peak years now. In 2005 he got more than just WR3 duty while Bruce was injured. He played great as the WR2 in those games.

Kevin Curtis 2005 St. Louis Rams 9 games started 60 catches 801 yards 13.4ypc 6TD long of 83 yards.

Game by game 2005

+----------+--------+-------------+----+

| WK OPP | RSHYD | REC YD | TD |

| 1 sfo | 0 | 7 63 | 0 |

| 2 ari | 0 | 2 29 | 0 |

| 3 ten | 0 | 5 56 | 1 |

| 4 nyg | 0 | 6 78 | 0 |

| 5 sea | 0 | 5 63 | 1 |

| 6 ind | 0 | 3 73 | 1 |

| 7 nor | 5 | 3 69 | 1 |

| 8 jax | 0 | 3 105 | 1 |

| 10 sea | 0 | 6 51 | 0 |

| 11 ari | 0 | 9 98 | 1 |

| 12 hou | 0 | 1 56 | 1 |

| 13 was | 0 | 2 6 | 0 |

| 14 min | 0 | 2 13 | 0 |

| 15 phi | 0 | 1 7 | 0 |

| 16 sfo | 0 | 2 15 | 0 |

| 17 dal | 0 | 3 19 | 0 |

| TOTAL | 5 | 60 801 | 7 |

The games I bolded from the 2005 season were the games that Isaac Bruce missed with injury and Curtis moved into the WR2 role. He scored a TD in 4 out of 5 of those games and had solid yardage as well. The Rams continued to go to Curtis in the 2 games after Bruce came back while Bruce was still getting back in game shape I think. Not bad for a WR3 huh? I think Curtis probobly deserved to start over Bruce last year and would have been more productive than Bruce was but the Rams loyalty to Bruce is understandable.Curtis still has not totaly broken out yet so we could sign him to reasonable money. He could be either a stop gap player for our offense while a rookie WR develops or as a compliment to Williamson if he develops into our #1 WR. (by consistently catching the ball). Curtis seems to be a player who could be a solid WR2 for us. Worst case scenario Curtis becomes a great WR3 for us if Williamson AND a rookie WR overtake him. That would not be so bad either.

The only other free agent WR avialable that I think the Vikings should consider is Stallworth. Stallworth has a problem staying healthy but has shown he can do damage when he is healthy. I think Stallworth is a greater risk and will be more expensive than Curtis will be however.

Right now unless Williamson develops the Vikings have ZERO WRs we can count on. We need to bring in playmakers from free agency and the draft imho. Curtis seems like the best free agent option available and I actualy like his upside as a compitent WR2 based off of how he performed in 2005.

Andy Dufresne said:
Unless it's Calvin Johnson, which it wont' be, I can't see the Vikings taking a WR at #7. Here is what I think the Vikings' wishlist is for the #7 pick.1) If Adrian Peterson drops to #7, take him.2) Consider one of the top DE's, either Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson.3) Laron LandryIf they're going to take a WR, it is likely in the 2nd at the earliest, maybe not even then.
This is the first year in many that I absolutely agree with you. I also just want to the Vikings to take the best player available at 7 - Johnson followed by Peterson.Second, I think that the Vikings poor pass defense was mostly a result of not having any outside pass rush. I think the Vikings secondary is just as good as the Chargers but the Vikings don't have Merriman and company chasing the QB. Even having a part timer like Lance Johnson would have made a difference. I have a hard time believing that Freeny will not be tagged by the Colts.

BigJim® I hear what your saying about Kevin Curtis or the other free agent WRs being available not being true #1 game breaking WRs. However this is my reasoning behind signing one and Curtis in particular:

Even if we use our 7th overall pick on a WR most rookie WRs take a year to develop. We need a player who can fill in now while a rookie WR develops. We could keep Travis Taylor for that I guess but I think Curtis is better than him and Curtis can streach the field more than TT. I think he is a pretty decent WR actualy it is no easy task to beat out Ike Bruce and Torry Holt.

Curtis is still pretty young for a WR at 28. I think he is reaching his peak years now. In 2005 he got more than just WR3 duty while Bruce was injured. He played great as the WR2 in those games.

Kevin Curtis 2005 St. Louis Rams 9 games started 60 catches 801 yards 13.4ypc 6TD long of 83 yards.

Game by game 2005

| WK OPP | RSHYD | REC YD | TD |

| 1 sfo | 0 | 7 63 | 0 |

| 2 ari | 0 | 2 29 | 0 |

| 3 ten | 0 | 5 56 | 1 |

| 4 nyg | 0 | 6 78 | 0 |

| 5 sea | 0 | 5 63 | 1 |

| 6 ind | 0 | 3 73 | 1 |

| 7 nor | 5 | 3 69 | 1 |

| 8 jax | 0 | 3 105 | 1 |

| 10 sea | 0 | 6 51 | 0 |

| 11 ari | 0 | 9 98 | 1 |

| 12 hou | 0 | 1 56 | 1 |

| 13 was | 0 | 2 6 | 0 |

| 14 min | 0 | 2 13 | 0 |

| 15 phi | 0 | 1 7 | 0 |

| 16 sfo | 0 | 2 15 | 0 |

| 17 dal | 0 | 3 19 | 0 |

| TOTAL | 5 | 60 801 | 7 |

The games I bolded from the 2005 season were the games that Isaac Bruce missed with injury and Curtis moved into the WR2 role. He scored a TD in 4 out of 5 of those games and had solid yardage as well. The Rams continued to go to Curtis in the 2 games after Bruce came back while Bruce was still getting back in game shape I think. Not bad for a WR3 huh? I think Curtis probobly deserved to start over Bruce last year and would have been more productive than Bruce was but the Rams loyalty to Bruce is understandable.Curtis still has not totaly broken out yet so we could sign him to reasonable money. He could be either a stop gap player for our offense while a rookie WR develops or as a compliment to Williamson if he develops into our #1 WR. (by consistently catching the ball). Curtis seems to be a player who could be a solid WR2 for us. Worst case scenario Curtis becomes a great WR3 for us if Williamson AND a rookie WR overtake him. That would not be so bad either.

The only other free agent WR avialable that I think the Vikings should consider is Stallworth. Stallworth has a problem staying healthy but has shown he can do damage when he is healthy. I think Stallworth is a greater risk and will be more expensive than Curtis will be however.

Right now unless Williamson develops the Vikings have ZERO WRs we can count on. We need to bring in playmakers from free agency and the draft imho. Curtis seems like the best free agent option available and I actualy like his upside as a compitent WR2 based off of how he performed in 2005.
One perhaps BIG problem with this logic is who's offense was that in 2005? Martz. They were pass-happy and even though Martz was "off" for being ill for most of the season that offense still was his design. Now if we can get Curtis on the cheap sure bring him in but I'm not backing up no truck to get him over here. I'd rather have Drew Bennett anyway.

I decided last night there is a 0% chance of the Vikes taking Adrian Peterson, even if he's available. Childress' ego couldn't handle replacing the RB he brought in.

Andy Dufresne said:
Good to see my anti-Childress campaign gaining steam! :goodposting:
Won't take much :yes: to convice me. I still can't stand the lack of information the fans are provided. It drives me nuts!

I'm not sure that Childress is the problem. I thought it was very obvious heading into last season that the 2006 Minnesota Vikings had very poor talent offensively at the skill positions. Add a solid QB, a deep threat WR that can actually catch the ball and this team can be a plyoff team. They would be best served bringing in those needs from the free agent market and then draft the best players on the board during the draft. Also, with their track record I would avoid bombing out on the DL in round 1 once again.

BigJim® I hear what your saying about Kevin Curtis or the other free agent WRs being available not being true #1 game breaking WRs. However this is my reasoning behind signing one and Curtis in particular:Even if we use our 7th overall pick on a WR most rookie WRs take a year to develop. We need a player who can fill in now while a rookie WR develops.
Well, as long as it would be bringing him in as a #3 WR I don't really have a problem with it. They're obviously thin at the position regardless. I just want to be clear that bringing in 3 ho-hum WRs is no better than what we saw this season, and it provides little future hope at the position. The Vikes need a bona fide WR threat, and I would address that need with a more serious pick-up, either a surprise FA or a blue chip rookie. IMHO next year is a lost year anyway if this team plans to allow Tarvaris to compete for #1 QB, so I'm not overly concerned about waiting a year for a rookie to develop. I'd personally rather spend 2007 watching C.Johnson/Jarrett struggle than watching a stop-gap like Kevin Curtis catch 80 balls.

I'm not sure that Childress is the problem. I thought it was very obvious heading into last season that the 2006 Minnesota Vikings had very poor talent offensively at the skill positions. Add a solid QB, a deep threat WR that can actually catch the ball and this team can be a plyoff team. They would be best served bringing in those needs from the free agent market and then draft the best players on the board during the draft. Also, with their track record I would avoid bombing out on the DL in round 1 once again.
:hot:

I'm not sure that Childress is the problem. I thought it was very obvious heading into last season that the 2006 Minnesota Vikings had very poor talent offensively at the skill positions. Add a solid QB, a deep threat WR that can actually catch the ball and this team can be a plyoff team.
Here's where the logic fails: If it was obvious to you last year that we were in trouble offensively [like it was for most fans], then why was it not obvious to Childress the GM? I don't think it was obvious to him. Childress the GM chose to (1) hire an absolute nobody as Offensive Coordinator, seemingly on the basis that this guy used to be his college QB; (2) sign a plodding RB that another team didn't like as its own #1 RB; (3) draft a Div. 1AA QB to side saddle with crusty Brad Johnson; and (4) signed no WR, and traded for Billy McMullen when we became desperate. I'll also tell you why Childress the GM made these moves: (1) Because Childress is such a great offensive mind, he really just needs a young OC to bask in his wisdom, and hold his coffee; (2) Because Childress has a much better eye for talent than Baltimore; (3) Because Childress groomed #2 NFL pick McNabb, so he can obviously groom any young QB; and (4) Because Childress is tired of prima donna WRs, and comes from a team that used a bunch of run of the mill WR options with relative success [ignoring everything else that contributed to that relative success]. You may notice a trend here. This is a guy who believes he can get by thinking small because he has the innate ability to deliver big.

BigJim® I hear what your saying about Kevin Curtis or the other free agent WRs being available not being true #1 game breaking WRs. However this is my reasoning behind signing one and Curtis in particular:Even if we use our 7th overall pick on a WR most rookie WRs take a year to develop. We need a player who can fill in now while a rookie WR develops.
Well, as long as it would be bringing him in as a #3 WR I don't really have a problem with it. They're obviously thin at the position regardless. I just want to be clear that bringing in 3 ho-hum WRs is no better than what we saw this season, and it provides little future hope at the position. The Vikes need a bona fide WR threat, and I would address that need with a more serious pick-up, either a surprise FA or a blue chip rookie. IMHO next year is a lost year anyway if this team plans to allow Tarvaris to compete for #1 QB, so I'm not overly concerned about waiting a year for a rookie to develop. I'd personally rather spend 2007 watching C.Johnson/Jarrett struggle than watching a stop-gap like Kevin Curtis catch 80 balls.
:headbang: You are on a roll Big Jim!(Looking at your sig...are you a Johnnie Alum?)

Culpepper and Moss?

Culpepper and Moss?
:ptts: :lmao: Although at this point I'm confident Moss and Childress would have been a

:wall:

Culpepper and Moss?
:goodposting: ;) Although at this point I'm confident Moss and Childress would have been a

:hot:
If MRob and Childress became a :tfp: then Moss and Childress would have been an episode of Twenty-Four - bombs, beatings, and the end of the world constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread