What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Offseason (2007) (1 Viewer)

Vikes Fan said:
BigJim® said:
Bull Dozier said:
I'm not sure that Childress is the problem. I thought it was very obvious heading into last season that the 2006 Minnesota Vikings had very poor talent offensively at the skill positions. Add a solid QB, a deep threat WR that can actually catch the ball and this team can be a plyoff team. They would be best served bringing in those needs from the free agent market and then draft the best players on the board during the draft. Also, with their track record I would avoid bombing out on the DL in round 1 once again.
Culpepper and Moss?
:confused: :D Although at this point I'm confident Moss and Childress would have been a

:tfp:
If MRob and Childress became a :tfp: then Moss and Childress would have been an episode of Twenty-Four - bombs, beatings, and the end of the world constantly.
I don't know why you guys would think that. Of course Moss would have recognized Childress' winning gameplan of run-run-run punt, and Moss would wait patiently for his one deep ball every two games.

On a different subject, is the fact that the Vikes don't have a D-coordinator yet point more toward the fact that a)they have guys in mind from the Colts/Bears or b)they're having the same trouble the Raiders had - "I won't work with that (Childress) guy."?

On a different subject, is the fact that the Vikes don't have a D-coordinator yet point more toward the fact that a)they have guys in mind from the Colts/Bears or b)they're having the same trouble the Raiders had - "I won't work with that (Childress) guy."?
My first gut reaction is that it is definitely not b). While Childress may be hard to work with, if I was a prospective D-coordinator, I can't be discourages about moving into Tomlin's former position. If I saw a guy went into that spot for one year, and immediatly got the opportunity to be a head coach, I would take that as a good thing.Whether or not they have their sights set on one of the Colts/Bears guys, I have no idea. I take it more that they were totally unprepared for Tomlin leaving, and given they have no real viable in house candidates, their slow moving is more of a sign of incompeptance than anything else.

My first gut reaction is that it is definitely not b). While Childress may be hard to work with, if I was a prospective D-coordinator, I can't be discourages about moving into Tomlin's former position. If I saw a guy went into that spot for one year, and immediatly got the opportunity to be a head coach, I would take that as a good thing.Whether or not they have their sights set on one of the Colts/Bears guys, I have no idea. I take it more that they were totally unprepared for Tomlin leaving, and given they have no real viable in house candidates, their slow moving is more of a sign of incompeptance than anything else.
And yet, his former Eagle colleague Steve Spagnuolo quickly took the NYG defensive coordinator job 2 days after it was generally known that Tomlin was the Steelers head coach. If it is true that Spagnuolo was Childress' 1st choice for a Tomlin replacement, why was Spagnuolo so quick to jump at the Giants job? A cynic might conclude he had no interest in joining Childress.I would think the Vikes DC job would be easy to fill given all the young defensive talent.

And yet, his former Eagle colleague Steve Spagnuolo quickly took the NYG defensive coordinator job 2 days after it was generally known that Tomlin was the Steelers head coach. If it is true that Spagnuolo was Childress' 1st choice for a Tomlin replacement, why was Spagnuolo so quick to jump at the Giants job? A cynic might conclude he had no interest in joining Childress.I would think the Vikes DC job would be easy to fill given all the young defensive talent.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dimish the possiblity that Childress is hard to work with. I'm just saying that I doubt his reputation is such that the job is impossible to fill. Now, with Spagnuolo, since he already worked with Childress, maybe he knows first hand he doesn't want to work with Childress. Maybe he figured the Giants would pay more. Maybe he liked the talent on the Giants. Maybe the fit in with his schemes better than the MN talent (I have no idea what he coaches). Maybe he wanted to be in NYG with a coach in the hot seat. I have no idea. But, I don't really think another young coach looking for a shot (who hasn't already worked with Chili) is really going to pass up an NFL coordinator job. But again, I'm just speculating, I don't know jack.

I've heard that they are looking at (strongly) the Colts' defensive backs coach (name escapes me at the moment).
Alan Williams or possibly Leslie Frasier. Read below. Wouldn't it be great though if it was Ron Rivera making a lateral move? One can dream, right?http://www.startribune.com/510/story/973015.html

Vikings: Colts aides considered for opening

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

MIAMI - While the Vikings presumably wait out Super Bowl XLI before hiring their next defensive coordinator, two members of Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy's staff are emerging as likely targets.

Special assistant Leslie Frazier and defensive backs coach Alan Williams have long histories in Dungy's Tampa-2 defense; each would employ a scheme similar to the one favored by Vikings coach Brad Childress.

NFL rules prohibit the Vikings from approaching either coach until after Sunday's game, but it would not be surprising if they hire one of them next week. Another coach who could be interviewed is Bears linebackers coach Bob Babich, a former North Dakota State head coach who also is a Tampa-2 disciple.

Frazier, a cornerback on Chicago's 1985 championship team, is the more experienced candidate. He served as Cincinnati's defensive coordinator in 2003 and 2004 before joining Dungy's staff last season. Previously, he served on the Philadelphia coaching staff alongside Childress, working with defensive backs from 1999-2002.

"I'm kind of out of the loop on it," Frazier said, "but I hope the job is still open when we're done playing. There's nothing I can do in the meantime."

Frazier called Childress "a good friend" and said he hopes to get a coordinator's job soon so that "I one day will have the opportunity to be a head coach."

Frazier, 46, shares duties with Williams, 37. Typically during Colts practices, Frazier works with cornerbacks while Williams handles the safeties. Williams played college football at William & Mary, where he was teammates with former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. Tomlin recommended Williams for a position on Dungy's Tampa Bay staff in 2001.

Like Tomlin, Williams called himself a "fundamentalist" and said he is not bound by the traditional X's and O's of the Tampa-2 scheme. He said he aspires to be a defensive coordinator but won't promote himself for the Vikings job.

"It'll come when it comes," Williams said. "You just have to make sure that the tape speaks for itself. Having people recognize that the guys play for you on a consistent basis, that's important. You let that speak for itself."

Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, a friend of Childress', also could be a candidate.

Fraiser is interviewing for the D Coordinator job...English clains he isn't interested. Do you think that could be smoke and mirrors with National Signing Day being today?

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/985739.html

VIKE020707

Last update: February 07, 2007 – 12:30 AM

Vikings: Colts' Frazier set to interview today

As another coach denied interest in the job Tuesday, the Vikings appeared set to interview at least one candidate for their opening at defensive coordinator.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

As another coach denied interest in the job Tuesday, the Vikings appeared set to interview at least one candidate for their opening at defensive coordinator.

Barring a change in plans, Leslie Frazier -- the Indianapolis Colts' special assistant and co-defensive backs coach -- is scheduled to arrive in the Twin Cities for an interview today. Frazier, who served as Cincinnati's defensive coordinator in 2003-04, said in interviews last week that he would be interested in the job.

Frazier and Vikings coach Brad Childress served on the same staff in Philadelphia from 1999 to 2002. Frazier was the defensive backs coach and Childress began as quarterbacks coach.

Frazier, 46, played cornerback for the Chicago Bears from 1981 to '86. He has learned the Tampa-2 defense while working for Colts coach Tony Dungy.

While Frazier's travel plans were confirmed, University of Michigan defensive coordinator Ron English spent part of Tuesday refuting a report that he had spent the day in Minnesota interviewing for the job. Sirius NFL Radio reported as much Tuesday afternoon, suggesting English was Childress' top candidate for the job.

In fact, English spent the day in Ann Arbor, Mich., and issued a statement denying his involvement.

"I have not had any contact with the Minnesota Vikings," English said, "and do not plan to leave Michigan."

English is the second major college assistant to deny reports that he was close to accepting the job. Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, a close friend and former colleague of Childress, said last week that he was not a candidate.

Along with Frazier, the Vikings' top two candidates are defensive line coach Karl Dunbar and linebackers coach Fred Pagac. Other possibilities include Colts co-defensive backs coach Alan Williams, along with Chicago assistants Bob Babich and Steve Wilks.

Etc.

• The Vikings are mailing out season ticket invoices this week. The team has raised prices annually for nine years, but this year at least some tickets will remain unchanged. Team officials plan to release the entire price structure later this week.

In 2006, the Vikings had the NFL's seventh-highest ticket prices, according to Team Marketing Report.

Since everyone in this thread seems to be pessimists....

Does any of this really matter? There will be no stadium built here with the way things are going. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome your 2012 LA Vikings!

I am starting to think it may not be a bad plan for the Vikes to trade down a little and draft Patrick Willis http://www.ontheclockdraft.com/Patrick_Willis/1240
With the money they have already tied into the linebackers, with Greenway, EJ and Leber, I can't see them going to a 3-4 and/or going after yet another 1st round pick for this position. I think they'll address some help here via free agency with someone relatively cheap but more in a back-up role, in case Greenway isn't ready yet. They'll have to address WR, TE, DE and CB before they'll take LB.

I am hearing a few rumors that the Vikings may be looking to move up, and Tampa could be a possible trade partner. If Jamarcus Russell is on the board when the Buc's pick, Minny may try and move up. Also, the Buc's have been rumored to want to trade down if CJ or JT aren't there, but wouldn't want to drop past 7. I am guessing the Buc's would want Okoye, but #3 or #4 may be too early for him. Not sure what it would take Minny to move up, probably a 3rd or 2nd. I wouldn't mind getting BJ back as a veteran presence.

I am hearing a few rumors that the Vikings may be looking to move up, and Tampa could be a possible trade partner. If Jamarcus Russell is on the board when the Buc's pick, Minny may try and move up. Also, the Buc's have been rumored to want to trade down if CJ or JT aren't there, but wouldn't want to drop past 7. I am guessing the Buc's would want Okoye, but #3 or #4 may be too early for him. Not sure what it would take Minny to move up, probably a 3rd or 2nd. I wouldn't mind getting BJ back as a veteran presence.
I think if they move up it would be for CJ, not Russell. I think Childress is too pig-headed to make it appear he doesn't have confidence in his second round pick of Jackson last year. If he brings in a vet this year, he can use the excuse of still letting Jackson develop. If he drafts Russel or any other QB, he is saying "I was wrong" and that will never happen.The Brad Johnson bridge was burned long ago. Frankly, I am surprised he hasn't been released yet. There is 0% chance of resigning him for a veteran presence.

I think if they move up it would be for CJ, not Russell. I think Childress is too pig-headed to make it appear he doesn't have confidence in his second round pick of Jackson last year. If he brings in a vet this year, he can use the excuse of still letting Jackson develop. If he drafts Russel or any other QB, he is saying "I was wrong" and that will never happen.The Brad Johnson bridge was burned long ago. Frankly, I am surprised he hasn't been released yet. There is 0% chance of resigning him for a veteran presence.
:rolleyes: I cannot see the Vikings trading up PERIOD, much less for Russell. They've already said that they want to build through the draft more than through free agency, so draft picks are at a premium in Vikingland. That discussion from above makes no sense.

Childress did say on the radio that they would draft a qb if the right guy was there when they picked. And the other poster was saying he wouldn't mind if Johnson was back in tampa, because yea he is done in MN. I would be pumped if they could get Russell.

CanadianNFLJunkie said:
Donnybrook said:
I am starting to think it may not be a bad plan for the Vikes to trade down a little and draft Patrick Willis http://www.ontheclockdraft.com/Patrick_Willis/1240
With the money they have already tied into the linebackers, with Greenway, EJ and Leber, I can't see them going to a 3-4 and/or going after yet another 1st round pick for this position. I think they'll address some help here via free agency with someone relatively cheap but more in a back-up role, in case Greenway isn't ready yet. They'll have to address WR, TE, DE and CB before they'll take LB.
As a general rule, it takes 2 years to recover from an ACL. So I don't see Greenway as a fulltime starter yet. Napy Harris might not be back. Sharper might not be back so the defense would not have a real leader. Dontarious Thomas is a good athelete but I doubt that he's bright enough to be their MLB. I am not suggesting that they trade down for nothing. I just wonder if they could get Willis and another player like Michael Griffen, or the #3 WR OR #3 DE on the board. Of course, there is only one team with multiple 1sts and not sure that their late picks would be worth it. If Calvin or Adrian Peterson aren't available at 7, then the Vikings might be forced into taking a player that is less of a sure thing anyways.Just sort of thinking aloud. The Vikings probably won't be able to find another team that is desperate to move up.

Looking at CnnSI's list of the top 20 free agents shows that there are a lot of good DEs out there this year. Also OG Eric Steinbech is a stud and CBs Nate Clements and Assante Samuel are available.

I personally think the OL wasn't good this year. Chester Taylor did a very good job and will not be replaced. Calvin Johnson would be great but will not last to pick #7. We might go for Gin or Jarrett at #7 but both would be mistakes. We could use the WR help.. If Brady Quinn fell I hope we would select him.

If they were to move up for anyone other than CJ, I would be disappointed. At this point if they don't go CJ or DE, I would like to see them trade down.

Some interesting stuff from Zulgad, didn't see it posted any where else yet

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

A few answers

Monday, February 12th, 2007 by Judd Zulgad Good job, for the most part, on the questions today. I figured I’d get a start answering about 10 of them tonight. As usual, thanks for the interest.

Q. Is there any sign of the Vikings possibly trading some players for receivers? If so, any big name receivers being talked about?

A. So far the Vikings haven’t been tied to any big-name receivers when it comes to trade rumors. Considering major trades in the NFL are rare, it’s not as if there are a bunch of big name receivers having their names thrown around in talks. Randy Moss and Jerry Porter of Oakland come to mind as two guys who could be available but it’s hard to believe Brad Childress has any interest. I’d say the Vikings will make a play for a receiver(s) during free agency and at some point during the draft. Donte Stallworth might command too much on the open market. One guy to keep an eye on is Drew Bennett of the Titans.

Q. I heard that new defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier wants to institute some principles of the Bears’ old 46 defense. Do you think the Vikings have the talent and flexibility to do this?

A. The immediate answer would be no. The Vikings struggled to get to the quarterback for much of last season — end Kenechi Udeze had zero sacks — and one key in the 46 is to apply pressure. But Frazier, who played under 46 guru Buddy Ryan in Chicago during the mid-1980s, might be willing to send more players at the opposing QB to make sure there is a sufficient pass rush. It also should help to get Erasmus James back after he missed almost all of 2006 because of a knee injury. But the Vikings certainly need to add some help at end.

Q. In what areas do you think the Vikings can get help in free agency and how much money will they have available?

A. First off, the Vikings are $12.4 million under the cap at this moment. Adjustments still need to be made before the new league year begins on March 2 and that number likely will go up but right now it’s $12.4 million. As for the free agency question and how much of that will go toward players on the open market, I’d say this: Don’t expect a spending spree like we saw last offseason. A lot of teams are well under a cap that has been set at $109 million in 2007 and thus have the ability to keep pending free agents if they want. I’d say the Vikings will take the longest look at receivers. They have no real choice. On defense, it will be interesting to see if the Vikings attempt to keep middle linebacker Napoleon Harris. Such a move would tie up even more money.

Q. What will be different in regards to play calling in 2007 under Brad Childress and will the quarterback get more autonomy regardless of who is playing that position?

A. This is the million dollar question. One would think that Childress has spent much of his time since the season ended reviewing what went wrong with this offense. Sure, the execution by the players wasn’t great but it’s ridiculous to pin this on all the guys wearing uniforms. The play calling wasn’t where it needed to be either and the hope for everyone who has to watch this team on a regular basis is that the proper adjustments will be made. That being said, I can’t see Tarvaris Jackson, Brooks Bollinger or anyone else getting much more autonomy. It will be interesting, though, because if Childress’ offense sputters out of the gate in 2007, no one will be able to blame Brad Johnson.

Q. What is the buzz about the QB position? The Vikings aren’t making a run at drafting Brady Quinn or signing free-agent Jeff Garcia, right?

A. Childress attempted to downplay the Garcia talk during a radio appearance last week. Considering Garcia’s success in Philly in 2006, and the fact Donovan McNabb should be ready to go next season, I’m thinking Garcia is going to get a big pay day somewhere but it probably won’t be in Minnesota. As well as Garcia played in Philadelphia, go back and look at his performance in Cleveland and Detroit. Signing the veteran wouldn’t be without risk. As for Quinn, there is talk that he might drop in the draft because not everyone needs a QB. This could make him available when the Vikings turn comes up. It’s also when we all learn the amount of faith this franchise has in Jackson. A vote of confidence in Jackson, means that if Quinn is available, the Vikings will take their 15 minutes to work a trade that will land them more picks and perhaps a player.

Q. Do you think the Vikings have any interest in pairing Antoine Winfield with free agent Nate Clements (Bills) at cornerback?

A. Nope. The Vikings’ starting corners in 2007 will be Winfield and Cedric Griffin. Griffin had a solid rookie season and earned himself a place atop the depth chart.

Q. Are the Vikings possibly looking at bringing in another running back and taking some of the work off Chester Taylor?

A. Childress gave no indication this season that he favors a two running back system. Taylor was his guy in 2006 and figures to remain in that role in nearly every situation in 2007. (Mewelde Moore does have the third-down pass catching role.) Remember, Taylor had very little wear and tear before coming to Minnesota, so this should not be a major issue. Yet.

Q. Any chance the Vikings can sign Napoleon Harris? If not who is going to play middle linebacker?

A. Touched on this one briefly but it’s a good question. This figures to be a long shot, considering Harris could be in line for a big contract after rebounding to have a solid 2006. The Vikings already have made big investments in E.J. Henderson, Ben Leber and Chad Greenway. Greenway will return after missing his entire rookie season because of a knee injury. If Harris departs, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Henderson shifted to the middle, with Greenway on the weakside and Leber remaining on the strongside. I know Henderson failed the last time he tried to play in the middle but this is a new defense and Henderson is now making enough money that big things should be expected of him.

Q. With the way the Marcus Robinson situation was handled on Christmas Eve do the Vikings think that will hurt them in free agency?

A. You don’t really think the Vikings are going to tell you the truth on this one, right? Robinson, you might recall, was informed on Christmas Eve that he would be cut. I don’t see how free agents, and their agents, won’t be impacted when they consider the Vikings. It’s human nature. (I’d love to hear the Vikings try to explain themselves on this one when a player they like asks exactly what happened.) In my opinion, of all the mistakes the Vikings made in 2006 on and off the field this one was the worst. So if the Vikings are running neck-and-neck with another team for a free agent this one could bite them. Of course, if they are willing to write the biggest check it might not matter.

Q. Which Vikings players are the most approachable when you need to talk to them for a story and which players rarely or never speak to the press?

A. Everyone knows about the guys who talk all the time (you see ‘em quoted several times a week and the list includes Birk, Richardson, Brad Johnson, Sharper, etc.) but one guy who doesn’t get much publicity but gives very thoughtful answers is Darrion Scott. He’s not always a guy who wants to talk after losses but approach him in the middle of the week for his perspective on how the defense is playing or why something worked/or didn’t and he can be very good. Another guy who was very entertaining was Dwight Smith. Smith isn’t afraid to challenge a question by a reporter but there’s nothing wrong with that. Get Smith on a roll and he can be extremely candid and at times very funny. Some guys don’t talk much but this doesn’t make them bad guys. Offensive tackle Marcus Johnson is a prime example. Johnson quit talking to the media early in his rookie season and hasn’t talked since. But Johnson has been consistent about it and seems as if he’s just not comfortable dealing with the media. It’s funny because one of Johnson’s best friends on the team is guard Artis Hicks, who like Scott is very articulate and thoughtful in his answers. One guy who I don’t think enjoys talking one bit is Chester Taylor. It’s funny because when I covered the Packers (I know, I know you guys hate to read that) Ahman Green could be incredibly moody and really seemed to despise the press. Taylor couldn’t be put in that category, but I never sense he really enjoys seeing the media approach.

That’s all for now.

Just saw this at vikings.scout.com:

Sharpening the Axe

* The other QB rumor floating around is that the Vikings might be interested in David Carr of the Texans. Head coach Gary Kubiak is convinced that Jake Plummer can operate his offense better than Carr and the asking price isn’t steep at all – a second-day draft pick, most likely a fourth- or fifth-rounder.
Not real sure how to take that rumor: :shrug:

The crazy thing is that Carr started out having a decent season when his OL was blocking. Then it turned bad. He set the record for number of sacks in a season earlier in his career and the OL hasn't gotten much better. Go for it for a 4th rounder!

Lord please deliver me from David Carr and his 7 mil per season contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carr has some baggage. While I agree it would be worth seeing what he could do in a offense that does a better job of giving him pass protection at least some of the blame does fall on him. He doesen't get rid of the ball quickly enough. He doesen't have to take all the sacks he does.

I think he is a good team player for taking the sacks instead of risking a turnover. However I think it will take more than a season for him to psycologicly overcome the phantom pass rush that has been ingrained in his head by now.

I think he would be worth it for the Vikings to trade for. They can play Carr and see how he adjusts to the new situation. He still won't have very good weapons to throw to. Carr has become a high percentage dink and dunker in Houston. That style of play would fit perfectly with what the HC seems to want to do with the offense most of the time. I think that would be a good fit. The Vikings do not have an Andre Johnson however.

If Carr were to fail it would allow the Vikings to give Jackson another season or 2 to develop. If Carr is a success then the QB need is solved.

If Carr could be had for a fourth rounder, I think that would be a no-brainer.
:confused:
I just don't see any down side in this trade for the Vikes. If they expect the fans to support this team next year they have to have something in place other than Tjack and BB at QB. #1 rushing defense, a solid RB and O-line and no one to lead the offense. Get Carr or get into the Plummer discussions if there are any.

Lord please deliver me from David Carr and his 7 mil per season contract.
As I understand it, if Carr is traded, the cap hit belongs to the Texans.
His base salary would have been 5.25 and 6 Million for 2007 and 2008 repectively. Do you think he will take a massive pay cut to play for the Vikings?
I think he would take a pay cut to get a one year deal ANYWHERE to prove himself, with the option of being a FA after that one season (is that an option for him? I'm not sure).

Passing on Garcia?

ESPN’s John Clayton has ruled the Vikings out of the Jeff Garcia derby.

Echoing last week’s comments by coach Brad Childress, Clayton reports that the Vikings have indicated no interest in Garcia and tabbed Tampa Bay as Philadelphia’s main competition for the prospective free agent.

During a radio interview last week, Childress downplayed any interest in Garcia.

http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

I know this is old-ish news now...just wondering if any of you have anything negative to say about Tomlin. Everyone seems to be enamored with this dude, and he's said the right things so far...but is there anything at all worth mentioning about this guy that isn't the lovefest we've heard already?

thanks.

I know this is old-ish news now...just wondering if any of you have anything negative to say about Tomlin. Everyone seems to be enamored with this dude, and he's said the right things so far...but is there anything at all worth mentioning about this guy that isn't the lovefest we've heard already?thanks.
I am from Pittsburgh (Munhall/Homestead) and live in MN now. Nothing really negative to say about him. He is clearly an impressive bright motivated guy. He inheireted a good defense from the last regime. They clearly played very hard for him. But technically he was never able to figure out a way to put pressure on the QB with the personnel he had. The secondary is not bad( it's not great). The LBs had to be protected in coverage and the line just couldn't get there. You would hope when New England exposed them that they would have been able to scheme something to better defend the pass but they never did. That worries me.

Passing on Garcia?

Echoing last week’s comments by coach Brad Childress, Clayton reports that the Vikings have indicated no interest in Garcia and tabbed Tampa Bay as Philadelphia’s main competition for the prospective free agent.

During a radio interview last week, Childress downplayed any interest in Garcia.

I'm beginning to be convinced they think they can make Jackson/Bollinger work. I also think this off-season may shape up to be terribly disappointing for Vikings fans. And the last thing I think is that this disappointment will carry over into the regular season - putting them in the Darren McFadden/Brian Brohm sweepstakes.

Passing on Garcia?

I'm beginning to be convinced they think they can make Jackson/Bollinger work. I also think this off-season may shape up to be terribly disappointing for Vikings fans. And the last thing I think is that this disappointment will carry over into the regular season - putting them in the Darren McFadden/Brian Brohm sweepstakes.
:popcorn: Sorry Andy I just have to laugh. You're such a pessimist when it comes to the Vikes...

:confused: Sorry Andy I just have to laugh. You're such a pessimist when it comes to the Vikes...
I don't think it's without reason. The biggest problem facing the Vikings is that the areas of greatest need are the ones that take the longest to develop - QB and WR. It's hard to find an impact player at #7 at those positions that can get the fan base excited for the next year. The only three players that would get me excited are Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson. Johnson won't be there and I doubt they'd pull the trigger on Quinn or Peterson.Add that to the fact that they've said they'd be quiet in free agency, I don't see much to get excited about.I predicted a 4-12 season last year and would have been right too if Carolina hadn't flubbed it up and Detroit wouldn't have blown the big(ish) 4th quarter lead.We'll see what the schedule looks like this year but anything over 6 wins again, assuming they start Tarvaris, would be a miracle.

Andy Dufresne said:
shamrock84 said:
:lmao: Sorry Andy I just have to laugh. You're such a pessimist when it comes to the Vikes...
I don't think it's without reason. The biggest problem facing the Vikings is that the areas of greatest need are the ones that take the longest to develop - QB and WR. It's hard to find an impact player at #7 at those positions that can get the fan base excited for the next year. The only three players that would get me excited are Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson. Johnson won't be there and I doubt they'd pull the trigger on Quinn or Peterson.Add that to the fact that they've said they'd be quiet in free agency, I don't see much to get excited about.I predicted a 4-12 season last year and would have been right too if Carolina hadn't flubbed it up and Detroit wouldn't have blown the big(ish) 4th quarter lead.We'll see what the schedule looks like this year but anything over 6 wins again, assuming they start Tarvaris, would be a miracle.
I hear you. Not much to get excited about but I don't see that they're in that much trouble. The defense is solid and if they can find a pass rush it should be formidable. Add an impact WR and I think the team is just fine. I am okay with them seeing what Tarvaris can do but I do wish they'd sign a solid backup QB via free agency. If they do things right I think they have a legitimate shot at being 8-8 or 9-7 and a bubble team in the NFC.Still not terribly exciting but a step in the right direction. Especially if Tarvaris does develop.

As much as I hate Notre Dame and think Quinn is only going to be ok, I think we make the playoffs with him as our QB.

I know this is old-ish news now...just wondering if any of you have anything negative to say about Tomlin. Everyone seems to be enamored with this dude, and he's said the right things so far...but is there anything at all worth mentioning about this guy that isn't the lovefest we've heard already?

thanks.
I am from Pittsburgh (Munhall/Homestead) and live in MN now. Nothing really negative to say about him. He is clearly an impressive bright motivated guy. He inheireted a good defense from the last regime. They clearly played very hard for him. But technically he was never able to figure out a way to put pressure on the QB with the personnel he had. The secondary is not bad( it's not great). The LBs had to be protected in coverage and the line just couldn't get there. You would hope when New England exposed them that they would have been able to scheme something to better defend the pass but they never did. That worries me.
I think this is a little off. The Vikes D hasn't been anything special for years. In '05, they were 22nd against the pass, 19th against the run, 21st overall, and 19th in points allowed. That's solidly below mediocre. Without changing any significant parts, they went to 31st against the pass, 1st against the rush, 8th overall and 14th in points allowed. I think Tomlin improved the defense significantly in all areas, except pass defense, which was because in my opinion, because he stuck with the traditional Tampa-2 scheme of getting pressure from the front 4, and after James went down there was no one able to put any consistent pressure on.His lack of adjustment is worrisome, I'd grant that. But, on the otherhand, I think his personnel limited a lot of adjustments he may have wanted to make (eg. without Greenway, he didn't have any pass rushing linebackers either).

As much as I hate Notre Dame and think Quinn is only going to be ok, I think we make the playoffs with him as our QB.
I'm not sure about playoffs, but I do think that Quinn has a million times more upside than Jackson.Well, maybe not a million. But I think people are WAY to high on Jackson. Way.

I'm not sure about playoffs, but I do think that Quinn has a million times more upside than Jackson.Well, maybe not a million. But I think people are WAY to high on Jackson. Way.
Count me on the "Way" side.Draft options:Johnson - perfectDE - goodPeterson - goodTrade down - goodQuinn - not happy

Count me on the "Way" side.
Really? Can you sell me on him at all? What I saw in the regular season's last two games was not that impressive. Granted, it's not the best circumstances to judge.Throw out the pre-season. His "highlight" plays were when he threw to wide open recievers against 3rd stringers/guys about to get cut.

Count me on the "Way" side.
Really? Can you sell me on him at all? What I saw in the regular season's last two games was not that impressive. Granted, it's not the best circumstances to judge.Throw out the pre-season. His "highlight" plays were when he threw to wide open recievers against 3rd stringers/guys about to get cut.
actually if those receivers catch a few of those balls they dropped he has some decent stats. I want to see what he can do with a full offseason and training camp before I write him off, I think he's got alot of talent and if he settles down a little in the pocket (which will come hopefully with practice/coaching)he will get the job done. They need to get someone who can catch and get open also (obviously)I would rather they trade down than take Quinn myself.

Just to be clear - I'm not ROOTING for Jackson to fail. I hope he CAN be the guy next year so they can focus on other areas of need.

From what I did see, I really like how live his arm is. His throwing motion is nice and his release is pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread