What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moss says he's Greatest WR Ever (3 Viewers)

Do you agree with Moss?

• Total voters
Besides Rice, who would you put ahead of Moss on the all time list? Owens? Tim Brown? Harrison? Cris Carter? Not too many players jump out that a strong argument could be made for.
Rice, Hutson, Alworth, and Moss are clearly the top 4, IMO. I'm not sure how I'd rank them, but I do know I'd have Moss 4th.Edit: Bambi doesn't get enough love in these threads. His '64-'66 was possibly the most dominant stretch since Hutson. He topped 100 receiving yards per game and led the league in TDs in all 3 seasons. All three seasons still rank in the top 20 in receiving yards per game. His 87.1 yards per game in SD would be the NFL record if he hadn't signed on as a role player in Dallas to wind up his career (even if it did net him a ring). People talk about Moss as a deep threat, but Bambi averaged 20 a grab with the Chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides Rice, who would you put ahead of Moss on the all time list? Owens? Tim Brown? Harrison? Cris Carter? Not too many players jump out that a strong argument could be made for.
Definitely not Brown or Carter. An argument can be made that Harrison was better. My top five is Rice, Hutson, Alworth, Warfield and Moss.

Yes, he is the greatest to ever play the position. He didn't allow himself to sustain that greatness as well as Rice is all.

In a few years barring injury I get the feeling we will be saying who is better Calvin Johnson , Jerry Rice or Moss. Not that hes better yet but Megatron is probally the best pure reciever I have ever seen. Has everything. Size, Speed , Jump and toughness. a 6-6 WR who is super fast and huge body frame. Not sure we have ever seen a WR like Megatron before. Just my opinion.

In a few years barring injury I get the feeling we will be saying who is better Calvin Johnson , Jerry Rice or Moss. Not that hes better yet but Megatron is probally the best pure reciever I have ever seen. Has everything. Size, Speed , Jump and toughness. a 6-6 WR who is super fast and huge body frame. Not sure we have ever seen a WR like Megatron before. Just my opinion.
The big problem is that the game is changing again, just like it changed between Hutson's and Rice's time. Over Johnson's last two years, Stafford obliterated passing attempts records. He finished third of all time in 2011 and then first of all time in 2012. The highest volume Rice ever benefited from was Gannon in 2002, who came in with more than a hundred fewer attempts than Stafford of last year. Montana and Young never finished a year as close as 200 attempts to Stafford's 2012 (13 attempts a game).Perhaps an even better indication is that during 2008, when the Lions went 0-16, the mystic quintet of Orlavsky, Kitna, Culpepper, Stanton and Henson (509 combined attempts) fell 11 attempts short of Montana's career high and 8 attempts short of Young's career high. Combined, Young and Montana only had 3 years with more attempts than the 2008 Lions. In 2001 and 2002 Gannon provided the highest volume of pass attempts Rice had during his career and he responded with two very good years at an age very few receivers make. If Calvin Johnson still holds records 70 years after his career is over and/or can produce at an elite level for 20 years, then he can enter the conversation. Not with a couple more great years in the most pass-happy NFL ever seen.

AGE has a big impact on this poll. Not the age of Rice and Moss, but the age of those answering the question. I'd bet that the folks who said Moss is better then Rice are MOST likely younger then the guys who voted for Rice. In my opinion if you seen them both play and not just highlight reels/stats...you would have voted Rice.

The difference in the poll results are very similar to the distance between them in terms of greatness.Moss was a tall guy who could fly. His actual 'skills' showed when he lost a step.

Stats can't tell the whole story here. If Moss had played his entire career for NE then I think maybe you could apply them more. Rice benefitted greatly from the system that was in place as well. Their stlye of play also helped Rice perform higher for longer. I am a big fan of Moss as a player, and always thought some of his issues were blown out of proportion. Having said that, Rice is the best, not only a great player but all the things you expect from a great player - work habbits, leadership, making those around him better etc. He's the kind of teammate eveyone would want.I don't get the guys having Moss 4 or lower but to each their own I guess.On 2nd thought, I think I do get it, people don't like him and it affects their judgement.

I can't judge guys like Alworth or Hutson since they were before my time. Lynn Swann was the man in the 70's who made the biggest catches in the biggest games. He never put up the numbers to compare to the other receivers being considered among the best but I hope the impact that Swann had on some of the greatest teams in history is never forgotten. I'm somewhat biased against Moss because I believe that his performance in the big games wasn't that of other great receivers who are also in consideration for the title of greatest ever. I would have no problem with any list not having Moss in the top 10 for that reason alone. I would personally put him behind Rice, Harrison and Owens of the guys I've seen play.

Yes, he is the greatest to ever play the position. He didn't allow himself to sustain that greatness as well as Rice is all.
When did Moss have a greater season than Rice's 1989? Led the league in receiving yardage and TDs, went for 19/317/5 in two playoff games and the Super Bowl, was named Super Bowl MVP? Or his 1994 where he had 112/1499/13 and finished it up with 10/149/3 in another Super Bowl win? Led the league in receiving yardage five out of seven years (Moss didn't even do it once), and led in receiving TDs five out of seven years (Moss's best was three out of six). There's what should be a compelling stat: if you never led the league in receiving yardage, you're not the greatest WR ever.

Can't compare the statistics without analyzing the quality of the quarterbacks getting them the ball. I can't think of any position in sports where production is more dependent on the talents of another athlete than NFL WR.

Can't compare the statistics without analyzing the quality of the quarterbacks getting them the ball. I can't think of any position in sports where production is more dependent on the talents of another athlete than NFL WR.
Moss failed to lead the league in receiving in four yearswith Tom Brady at QB, who many would claim is better than Montana or Young. In that stretch, in the playoffs and Super Bowl he averaged 36 yards per game and had one TD in four games.

When did Moss have a greater season than Rice's 1989? Led the league in receiving yardage and TDs, went for 19/317/5 in two playoff games and the Super Bowl, was named Super Bowl MVP? Or his 1994 where he had 112/1499/13 and finished it up with 10/149/3 in another Super Bowl win? Led the league in receiving yardage five out of seven years (Moss didn't even do it once), and led in receiving TDs five out of seven years (Moss's best was three out of six). There's what should be a compelling stat: if you never led the league in receiving yardage, you're not the greatest WR ever.
How about if you've never been NFL MVP (as an offensive player) you shouldn't be in the conversation.

Moss failed to lead the league in receiving in four yearswith Tom Brady at QB, who many would claim is better than Montana or Young. In that stretch, in the playoffs and Super Bowl he averaged 36 yards per game and had one TD in four games.
This.Also see a reply earlier where someone broke down Calvin's #'s when he had like 3-4 QB's and still posted solid #'s.

I'm not saying Moss is better or worse than Rice- I think it's kind of a silly thing to analyze. But this is statistical cherry-picking at its absolute worst.First, he only played 2+ years with Brady as his QB., 2007 and 2009, before the trade early in 2010. And while it's true that he didn't lead the league in yards in season with Brady, he was second by only 17 yards while breaking the receiving TD record (a statistic you apparently think is relevant in a four game sample size but not a 16 game one!). By the way, he also recorded 1632 yards in 2003 while catching passes from Daunte Culpepper and Gus Frerotte on a 9-7 team, more than Rice every recorded while catching passes from Joe Montana and Steve Young on a dynasty team with a revolutionary offensive system. But I don't think that's clear evidence of Moss's superiority, because that would be cherry-picking.

I'm not saying Moss is better or worse than Rice- I think it's kind of a silly thing to analyze. But this is statistical cherry-picking at its absolute worst.First, he only played 2+ years with Brady as his QB., 2007 and 2009, before the trade early in 2010. And while it's true that he didn't lead the league in yards in season with Brady, he was second by only 17 yards while breaking the receiving TD record (a statistic you apparently think is relevant in a four game sample size but not a 16 game one!).

By the way, he also recorded 1632 yards in 2003 while catching passes from Daunte Culpepper and Gus Frerotte on a 9-7 team, more than Rice every recorded while catching passes from Joe Montana and Steve Young on a dynasty team with a revolutionary offensive system. But I don't think that's clear evidence of Moss's superiority, because that would be cherry-picking.

I'm not saying Moss is better or worse than Rice- I think it's kind of a silly thing to analyze. But this is statistical cherry-picking at its absolute worst.First, he only played 2+ years with Brady as his QB., 2007 and 2009, before the trade early in 2010. And while it's true that he didn't lead the league in yards in season with Brady, he was second by only 17 yards while breaking the receiving TD record (a statistic you apparently think is relevant in a four game sample size but not a 16 game one!).

By the way, he also recorded 1632 yards in 2003 while catching passes from Daunte Culpepper and Gus Frerotte on a 9-7 team, more than Rice every recorded while catching passes from Joe Montana and Steve Young on a dynasty team with a revolutionary offensive system. But I don't think that's clear evidence of Moss's superiority, because that would be cherry-picking.
I stand corrected. Anyway, the larger points remain. Don't cherry-pick, and analyzing WR stats without acknowledging the important role the QB plays in them makes no sense.

Moss had the best physical skill-set of any WR, but his intangibles were lacking. So, Rice is clearly the better of the two.

Coincidentally, four games is exactly the difference between the number Rice used to score 22 TDs (12), and the number Moss used to score 23 TDs (16).And the fact that Moss got booted off the Pats isn't an excuse for him, it's precisely why he's not as great as Rice.
Uh, Rice recorded 1848 yards in 1995--you know, that NFL record that stood for 17 years. And I'll note that he had Elvis Grbac at QB for 7 games that year.

Mike and Mike this morning said that Moss may be the greatest "deep threat" to ever play. And probably the most athletic freak to ever play WR. However, they tallied their numbers over their first 14 years in the league. Rice was better in every category. Amongst his NFL peers, most players say that Rice is possibly one of the top 5 greatest athletes to ever play the game...REGARDLESS OF POSITION! Had Moss had the same work ethic and mental makeup as Rice, perhaps Moss could have been the greatest WR ever to play. But since he is a crazy, whiny beeyatch, he's just one of the greatest deep threats to play.If you had children and they wanted to be a WR when they play football, who would you tell them to emulate in their endeavors? Rice or Moss? No way in hell would I tell my kids to watch tape of Randy Moss.

I wouldn't put him above Moss, but as one of the resident Seahawks fans here I'll certainly offer up Steve Largent as a name that should be in the discussion. He held many of the records that Jerry Rice broke.
I think only Seahawk fans would do so. He was great, deserves his HoF alcove, but he doesn't really rank in the top five discussion.

Coincidentally, four games is exactly the difference between the number Rice used to score 22 TDs (12), and the number Moss used to score 23 TDs (16).And the fact that Moss got booted off the Pats isn't an excuse for him, it's precisely why he's not as great as Rice.
Uh, Rice recorded 1848 yards in 1995--you know, that NFL record that stood for 17 years. And I'll note that he had Elvis Grbac at QB for 7 games that year.
I acknowledged that very soon after, and I wasn't trying to make a case for Moss in the first place so I don't much care about him getting traded or why. None of that changes the fact that your cherry-picked analysis was terrible, which was really my only point in that post.

I stand corrected. Anyway, the larger points remain. Don't cherry-pick, and analyzing WR stats without acknowledging the important role the QB plays in them makes no sense.
:goodposting: Here are Moss' primary QBs in terms of number of seasons, excluding the past few years when he hasn't been a regular starter:

Daunte Culpepper (5)

Tom Brady (2)

Randall Cunningham (1)

Jeff George (1)

Andrew Walter (1)

Kerry Collins (1)

Matt Cassell (1)

Jerry Rice's QBs (I didn't count 1997 when Rice was hurt):

Steve Young (7)

Joe Montana (6)

Rich Gannon (2.5)

Jeff Garcia (2)

Matt Hasselbeck/Kerry Collins (1)

Rick Mirer (0.5)

The difference is ridiculous. It's fairly easy for me to pick Rice in this topic, but other factors such as the above, along with era in which they played, etc. have to be considered in these debates.

It is Rice and it is not even. Moss saying that is plain silly and he is just trying to get attention. Umm, I have seen feeds about that training deal Rice goes through and I have seen Rice without his shirt. Dude is a physical freak too.

The big problem with this and every other similar sports question is that the terms are not defined. What does it mean to be the "best ever"?Do you mean most successful relative to their contemporaries? If so, you can make a good case for Rice, although I don't know enough about the old-timers to say if they'd give him a run for his moneyDo you mean best career accumulated numbers? That's easy to do, it's Rice.Do we mean most career individual and team accolades? Again, probably Rice.Of course all three of these depend on QB and scheme and the rest of the team.Do we mean best at their peak relative to their contemporaries? You can make a case for Moss, Rice and a handful of other guys too. Tough to say.Do we mean if you took a "Bill and Ted" style time machine and gathered all the great WRs at their peak and dropped them on the same football field, who would be the best? That's Calvin Johnson probably, and Moss would absolutely destroy Rice. Professional football, especially the pass-heavy version, is a relatively new phenomenon. There are still HUGE strides being made in technique and skills and the technology to allow for improvements. Nobody whose NFL career peaked 20 years ago would be able to keep up with the current stars of the game. And that especially goes for someone involved in the passing game.Those are all totally different questions, and any one of them could be what someone means by "best." So arguing about the "best" as if there's a 100% true answer doesn't make any sense. You might be arguing about totally different things.

I don't get the guys having Moss 4 or lower but to each their own I guess.

On 2nd thought, I think I do get it, people don't like him and it affects their judgement.
I got no hate for Moss. He's a doucher, but I'm not a 12 year old boy; I don't need my professional athletes to be idols or role models. Ben Roethlisberger is my favorite QB, and he's a much, much bigger doucher than Moss ever was. I just like the way he plays, and I like the way Moss plays, too. He's probably the most fun WR to watch that I've ever personally seen (although those old Alworth highlights are a thing of beauty, too). Calling him the 4th best WR of all time is not a knock on Moss at all. It's simply a recognition that Jerry Rice is so many standard deviations above the mean that no one will ever catch him. It's a recognition that Lance Alworth's peak was the most dominant of any WR ever. It's a recognition that Hutson basically invented the WR position and put up numbers 70 years ago that look cartoonish even by today's standards. These guys are giants of NFL history, as is Randy Moss. Even the shortest giant is still a giant. The case for Rice hardly needs to be recounted, but for those less familiar with the old-timers, here's the case for Alworth and Hutson:

Hutson- literally invented the concept of routes. Prior to Hutson, receivers just ran around randomly trying to get open. At his retirement, stood even further above his peers than Jerry Rice. Put up 74/1211/17... In 11 games... In 1942. That'd be 108/1761/25 in 16 games. His receiving TD record stood for 42 years, until Clayton managed 18 TDs during Marino's record-setting 1984 campaign. His yardage total is still one of the top 10 per-game marks in history. He's basically football's version of Babe Ruth- era-adjusting his stats pretty much breaks the system, because he was playing the game of the future while everyone else was still stuck in the past. Led the league in receptions 8 times, yards 7 times, receiving TDs 9 times, total TDs 7 times (something Rice only managed twice), was an 8-time All Pro, and was a 2-time MVP. All in an 11-year career.

Alworth- in three consecutive seasons, put up ypg marks that still stand among the top 20 of all time. For perspective, there's only one other player with three such seasons in the top FIFTY (Andre Johnson, with the 34th, 41st, and 42nd best marks all-time). And while Johnson is a noted yardage hog who has never scored double digit TDs, Alworth led the league in total tds in each of those three consecutive seasons (again, Rice only managed it twice). He put up 42 TDs in 39 games over those 3 years. And he wasn't a short-peak superstar like Sterling Sharpe- his next two seasons after that still rank in the top 80 in ypg. He was a 6-time All Pro. If you took his average game over his 9 years in San Diego and pro-rated it over a 16 game season, he'd put up 1394 yards and 12 TDs at 19.4 ypr- and that was his 9-year average. Like Moss, he had a twilight as a role player on a good team which brought down his career averages, but his per-game numbers in San Diego are arguably the greatest of all time.

Moss had the best physical skill-set of any WR, but his intangibles were lacking. So, Rice is clearly the better of the two.
Calvin has the best physical skill-set of any WR.

If you are looking for a fight on Jerry's stats, you picked the wrong guy/post.Thankfully you chose not to debate talent and impact on the field, which is why I draft Moss today, and probably Calvin a few years from now.
Moss is faster (and taller) than Jerry Rice - what other "talent advantage" does he have?Who was the better route runner?Who was the better runner with the ball in his hands?Who was better conditioned?Who was the better blocker?Who ran his routes harder when the ball wasn't coming his way?Who had better concentration when trying to catch the ball in traffic over the middle?Ok that last one was a trick question because we never saw Randy Moss run across the middle. ;)

Mike and Mike this morning said that Moss may be the greatest "deep threat" to ever play. And probably the most athletic freak to ever play WR. However, they tallied their numbers over their first 14 years in the league. Rice was better in every category. Amongst his NFL peers, most players say that Rice is possibly one of the top 5 greatest athletes to ever play the game...REGARDLESS OF POSITION!

Had Moss had the same work ethic and mental makeup as Rice, perhaps Moss could have been the greatest WR ever to play. But since he is a crazy, whiny beeyatch, he's just one of the greatest deep threats to play.

If you had children and they wanted to be a WR when they play football, who would you tell them to emulate in their endeavors? Rice or Moss? No way in hell would I tell my kids to watch tape of Randy Moss.
He's not. Bob Hayes and Paul Warfield both made the HoF averaging 20+ yards per reception. The zone defense was invented because nobody could cover Bob Hayes deep in man coverage. Alworth was better than both of them, averaging 19.4 ypr in San Diego. Randy's career average is 15.7. His best single-season average (19.0 as a rookie) would be the 7th best average of Alworth's career. I understand that times have changed, and usage patterns have changed, but these are guys who made the Hall of Fame doing nothing except for going deep.

'Popinski said:
Here are Moss' primary QBs in terms of number of seasons, excluding the past few years when he hasn't been a regular starter:

Daunte Culpepper (5)Averages while Moss was there = 14.6 games, 64% completion, 25.8 TD's & 3719 yards per season

Tom Brady (2)- I shouldnt have to

Randall Cunningham (1)-- 106 rating 3704 yards 34 TD's

Jeff George (1) 94.2 rating, 2816 yards, 23 TD's in 10 starts

Andrew Walter (1)

Kerry Collins (1) 3495 yards 21 TD's

Matt Cassell (1)

The difference is ridiculous. It's fairly easy for me to pick Rice in this topic, but other factors such as the above, along with era in which they played, etc. have to be considered in these debates.
The differance isnt what you think it is. While the names are not the same it will be a little difficult to say that Randy got poor QB play with the top starters he had throughout his career.

'Popinski said:
'TobiasFunke said:
'jonboltz said:
'TobiasFunke said:
'CalBear said:
'TobiasFunke said:

:goodposting: Here are Moss' primary QBs in terms of number of seasons, excluding the past few years when he hasn't been a regular starter:

Daunte Culpepper (5)

Tom Brady (2)

Randall Cunningham (1)

Jeff George (1)

Andrew Walter (1)

Kerry Collins (1)

Matt Cassell (1)

Jerry Rice's QBs (I didn't count 1997 when Rice was hurt):

Steve Young (7)

Joe Montana (6)

Rich Gannon (2.5)

Jeff Garcia (2)

Matt Hasselbeck/Kerry Collins (1)

Rick Mirer (0.5)

http://www.footballperspective.com/randy-moss-jerry-rice-had-two-hof-qbs-his-whole-career/

'Popinski said:
Here are Moss' primary QBs in terms of number of seasons, excluding the past few years when he hasn't been a regular starter:

Daunte Culpepper (5)Averages while Moss was there = 14.6 games, 64% completion, 25.8 TD's & 3719 yards per season

Andrew Walter (1)

Matt Cassell (1)

The differance isnt what you think it is. While the names are not the same it will be a little difficult to say that Randy got poor QB play with the top starters he had throughout his career.
You're making the very odd deduction that those QBs just happened to play their best football when they were on Moss's team (what luck for Randy!). I think the far more logical deduction that Moss's presence made them much better QBs because Moss is so incredibly awesome.

'Popinski said:

Andrew Walter (1)

Matt Cassell (1)

You're making the very odd deduction that those QBs just happened to play their best football when they were on Moss's team (what luck for Randy!). I think the far more logical deduction that Moss's presence made them much better QBs because Moss is so incredibly awesome.
And the same could be made for Rice as well.The point is rather simple. The production of those years doesnt match the name value of those guys today. They played well, plain and simple.

'Popinski said:

Andrew Walter (1)

Matt Cassell (1)

And the same could be made for Rice as well.The point is rather simple. The production of those years doesnt match the name value of those guys today. They played well, plain and simple.
Not really. Montana had two Super Bowl rings and a season with a 102.9 passer rating before Rice arrived. Young was a Heisman runner-up and considered a star in the making by almost everyone who was drafted 1.1 in the supplemental draft after the USFL folded and then he got to sit and learn from Montana for years before taking the reins.

'Popinski said:

Andrew Walter (1)

Matt Cassell (1)

Not really. Montana had two Super Bowl rings and a season with a 102.9 passer rating before Rice arrived. Young was a Heisman runner-up and considered a star in the making by almost everyone who was drafted 1.1 in the supplemental draft after the USFL folded and then he got to sit and learn from Montana for years before taking the reins.
Brady had 3 ringsAnd since we're going with the Heisman and Supplemental picks I'll add:

George was drafted #1 overall

Kerry Collins was #5 overall

Daunte Culpepper #11 overall

;)

'Popinski said:

Andrew Walter (1)

Matt Cassell (1)

Kind of like:
So for 5 seasons, Grbac (9), Kemp (6), Bono (6), Moroski (2) and Cavanugh (1) started 24 games for the 49ers. In exactly a year and a halfs worth of games, Rice caught 134 passes for 2,177 yards and 23 TDs, and ran for one score as well. Thats an average season of 89 catches, 1451 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns, or roughly the career best season for nearly every WR who has ever played the game.
Do you want to argue that Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac were superior to Daunte Culpepper and Randall Cunningham?

Users who are viewing this thread