What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moss says he's Greatest WR Ever (3 Viewers)

Do you agree with Moss?

• Total voters
I know there are plenty that will call him lazy and do some things for sure.But I don't think its a fair brush to over generalize those who criticize him at all to lump them in with those I just mentioned.Sure...we don't know all about these guys off the field.Harrison had that squeaky clean image in the league because of how he conducted himself on the field (and probably well aided by being associated with the golden boy Manning).Agree that Moss is hilarious...that straight cash homey line is still one of the best. The interaction with the fan in the Randy Mask in New England was great. And plenty here still think he actually called into a radio show and said his name was Woody to criticize Jeff Fisher while in TN.http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/17/did-randy-moss-bash-jeff-fisher-on-nashville-radio/I think they have the audio on there too.

Why have we seen such a decline in his performance? He was outplayed by a handful of other receiving options on Sunday. To be the greatest ever you have to have some staying power.
This is a separate point, but Rice is a HUGE outlier when it comes to WR performance past their early 30s. I consider that (and the related career numbers he was able to compile) the most amazing thing about his career, even more so than his peak performance years. Statistically speaking, Rice's age 40 year might be the most amazing season of my lifetime in any sport.Check a couple other highly regarded guys if you don't believe me. Even sticking to the recent guys who've had the benefit of modern medicine, guys like Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Issac Bruce, Tim Brown ... they all fall off a cliff after their age 34 season if not sooner. Even the few guys who are performing anywhere near peak at 35 generally got a late start- Cris Carter was lightly used until his mid-20s, and Jimmy Smith barely played until his late 20s.

Last edited by a moderator:
When 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick threw a high pass over the middle of the field to Randy Moss on Sunday, the ball sailed over Moss’s head without Moss even reaching for it, and Ravens safety Ed Reed intercepted it. Moss has taken some criticism this week from people who think he didn’t make any effort to catch the ball.

But Kaepernick says the interception was all his own fault.

“I overthrew Randy,” Kaepernick told reporters today at the 49ers’ facility.

Asked whether he thought Moss made enough of an effort to catch the pass, Kaepernick insisted that all the blame should be on his own shoulders.

“I overthrew it — that’s my fault,” Kaepernick said.

Kaepernick has taken this loss hard, and he also told reporters today that he thinks it will stay with him for the rest of his life. But for the 49ers, it’s a good sign that their young franchise quarterback doesn’t point fingers after a loss, and instead puts it on himself to do what he needs to do to win.
Notice he didn't directly answer the question. He's a good kid... of course he's going to take the blame.I'm really hoping the Niners don't bring "the Greatest WR ever" back. Let him try to get his ring in Jacksonville.

Coming from the guy who has been claiming I just don't understand and basically been calling me and others sheep for following the narrative?Yeah...ok.And anyone claiming a win or loss on an argument always makes for good times. :lmao:
I didn't call you sheep, but fair point about casting stones.But you do keep making the same mistakes about the narrative argument. You're claiming you're not just following the narrative, but then you offer up (without links) anecdotes about him quitting on routes and his teammates and coaches complaining about it. The whole point is that the evidence of him quitting on routes or giving less effort is partially- maybe even mostly- a function of people wanting to confirm the narrative. I'm sure there's some truth to it, but there's also teammates who love and respect him, coaches who've loved him (Belichek first sought him out and then even defending him when Brady criticized), quotes indicating that he really is passionate about the game along with discussions of his work ethic, etc. But nobody wants to read about that. I'm betting this is the first anyone here has even heard of those reports from his 49er teammates. Instead, everyone wants to pick through the film to find evidence of him letting up on plays (even though he's been an excellent blocker in his career) and find and point to the negative quotes while ignoring the positive ones like the ones from Belicheck in that last link.
Players are expected to say good things about teammates.Here's the GOAT saying Moss didn't give 100% and calling it a slap in the face.Then there's this report about Brady's disappointment in Moss' work ethic:
As it turned out, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was one of the first to notice his decline last summer. A league source said Brady was so concerned about Moss' lagging work ethic that he discussed it with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick in training camp. When Belichick decided that Moss would be fine, Brady became even more agitated after Moss dogged it on a couple routes during an early-season win over Miami.According to the source, Brady told Belichick during that contest that the team could keep Moss but the receiver wasn't going to be seeing any passes again. Moss was working in Minnesota within days of that conversation.

Why have we seen such a decline in his performance? He was outplayed by a handful of other receiving options on Sunday. To be the greatest ever you have to have some staying power.
This is a separate point, but Rice is a HUGE outlier when it comes to WR performance past their early 30s. I consider that (and the related career numbers he was able to compile) the most amazing thing about his career, even more so than his peak performance years. Statistically speaking, Rice's age 40 year might be the most amazing season of my lifetime in any sport.Check a couple other highly regarded guys if you don't believe me. Even sticking to the recent guys who've had the benefit of modern medicine, guys like Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Issac Bruce, Tim Brown ... they all fall off a cliff after their age 34 season if not sooner. Even the few guys who are performing anywhere near peak at 35 generally got a late start- Cris Carter was lightly used until his mid-20s, and Jimmy Smith barely played until his late 20s.
WR's do tend to decline after 34, but Moss declined at 27 before having a resurgence when teamed up with one of best QB's of all time. His 2008 and 2009 seasons were rather ordinary for a healthy HOF WR at 31/32 in a great offense.

It's one thing to hear rumors and quotes from outside people like Rice, but how can you deny it when you hear it directly from opposing players?
We knew [Randy Moss] was going to shut it down,’’ Carolina cornerback Chris Gamble said after the game. “That’s what we wanted him to do . . . he’d just give up a lot – slow down, he’s not going deep, not trying to run a route. You can tell [by his] body language.…Safety Chris Harris said, “You get physical with him, and I don’t want to say he quits, but he kind of doesn’t run the routes the way they’re supposed to be run. If you get a jam on him, he’ll just ease up. He had the one catch, and he fumbled.’’

Users who are viewing this thread