What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mr. Robot (1 Viewer)

That's too bad. It had promise. Episode one reminded me of Dexter but with computers instead of bodies. They practically copied a portion of it where his trophies were burned CDs instead of blood slides.  
the show is amazing- and worth sticking with. I think it took me a couple of shows to warm up to, and even then there were things that bugged me (IIRC, disparity in quality of acting which ranges from astonishingly good to not so much). the cinematography alone is worth the watch, but added to the writing, art-direction, editing, acting (selective) and even use of music puts this show into the upper tier.

fwiw, there are a LOT of homages throughout, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they used Dexter and anything else as inspiration. if it's too much to get past, plenty of other shows out there that aren't as good to watch.

The chess games between Eliot and Mr. Robot were so horrendous, it felt like something was up. This show pays way too much attention to detail to have really poor chess being played in the pivotal scene. Turns out my hunch was correct:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/4uz5t7/spoilers_s2e4_the_chess_games_in_this_episode_are/?st=ir6ehu57&sh=3365b328 

The first game was the fastest possible way to play to a stalemate.

The second game has the same final position as the first, but it gets there a different way.

The third game is the fastest possible way to a double stalemate.

That was an awesome episode.

Did anyone else besides me notice at the very beginning the knocking on the door?  The first two knocks sounded like a metal door/bars, the last two switched to normal wood door. Or am I just crazy?  And it doesn't make as much sense because it's before he would be in jail.  

Jesus Christ they need to move things forward. That episode was a snooze fest
You are nuts.  Halloween episode that showed the very first appearance of Mr Robot, the chess Easter egg and ended with Elliot going to hack the FBI...........how much more do you want?

Two interesting things:

Romero wasnt in his dream and that was before he found out he was dead

I wonder what joanna is paying the parking attendant to keep quiet about. The same parking lot where Eliot woke up after the hack in Tyrells car.

Not that this is a huge revelation, but when Agent Dom was telling the story about being proposed to, she said, "They got down on one knee," as if the gender of her significant other was being hidden. She never referred to the person by gender (she said "an old flame" instead of "an old boy/girlfriend"). Why not just say "he" or "she"? Basically, if she's gay, so what?

The continuous take of the terrorist attack at the end was pretty jarring.

Finally caught up, except for last night.

I'm not sure if I like this show or not :lol:   but I keep watching

I feel like the asylum theory is kinda no longer possible after last night.  Or at least much less likely.

Which makes the first few episodes even more worthless than they seemed.

I feel like the asylum theory is kinda no longer possible after last night.  Or at least much less likely.

Which makes the first few episodes even more worthless than they seemed.
Its funny. I thought the same thing but now I am reading Ray's password was caretaker

Its funny. I thought the same thing but now I am reading Ray's password was caretaker
:no:   Caretaker is a password cracker that fetches passwords for Jack the Ripper.  They were hacking into the server.  Funny that some blogger thinks he knows something and it's copied to every other blogger and television review site.  :lmao: Rookies. 

The symbolism still holds up tho, imo, that's the cool part.  :thumbup:

Why, what did you see that makes you say that?
I thought it was weird his sister referred to his "mom" as the she devil. Would he really be sharing a room with his mother? Would she call a random person a she devil?

Ray and a bunch of thugs are running a black market website out of a asylum? Are those the orderlies? Seems far fetched.

I'm still not sure either way though. That was just my first impression. It is kind of weird how everyone visits him in that room by the table.

I thought it was weird his sister referred to his "mom" as the she devil. Would he really be sharing a room with his mother? Would she call a random person a she devil?

Ray and a bunch of thugs are running a black market website out of a asylum? Are those the orderlies? Seems far fetched.

I'm still not sure either way though. That was just my first impression. It is kind of weird how everyone visits him in that room by the table.
Yup.  I can't see a bunch of orderlies running the Silk Road.  Not a lot over overlap on skill sets.

(HULK) said:
Yup.  I can't see a bunch of orderlies running the Silk Road.  Not a lot over overlap on skill sets.
The thugs aren't running it, Ray is.  Dread_Pirate_Roberts (which was the username Elliot and the IT guy used to log into the site btw) was a misfit entrepreneur that ran an online used book store before he launched Silk Road. 

Can't trust a man with a ponytail :scared: . Scene where the wounded attacker takes his own life in China after the mass murder was chilling, just raises so many questions.

This is one of my more favorite TV shows in a long time, and I love how it's unfolding in season 2. Great food for thought, could absolutely see IRL a Silk Road-esque marketplace run by the criminal non-libertarian element on the TOR network as opposed to a Dread Pirate Roberts type, and administered by the elite of the hacker community hand-picked and overseen by the criminal organization's henchmen. DPR was just a nerd with a vision, but lacking the chops to "deal with problems" that would pop up running a marketplace for illegal goods. Criminal organizations can very easily deal with said "problems," but lack the IT knowledge needed to get things up and running and stay that way technologically, so they need to find hackers they can trust to do so. Love it, in for more.

F'ng love this show and the creepy music during the previews for next week was very cool.  Much like last season picked up around the same time, I feel like we are in for an amazing ride of episodes over the next several weeks.

The levity, especially at the very beginning, was a needed reprieve considering what was discovered last episode, and the resulting beat down. 

That was a lot of fun to watch.

One of my fav episodes overall.  

The contacts between the sitcom theme and all of the darkness was great.  The child abuse, the body in the trunk (reminiscent of Shayla), Angela working for the company that killed her mom, whatever the heck happened to Wellick....lots of traumatic stuff presented over a laugh track...

Kind of hated it :unsure:
I could see how some would be put off by the shtick... but as I noted above, it was a nice breath of "levity" (if you can call it that), or at least making light of the horrible realities faced by the characters on the show after the last episode.

FWIW, I really did not enjoy LAST week's episode.  Perhaps I was a bit too tired while watching, but it seemed to drag a bit, move slow, and while I realize you need some of the harshness that was depicted at the end of that episode, it was not a fun watch.

In that light, I needed this week's approach.  Plus, we have some more villains to hopefully get their comeuppance with the dark web / anything goes online marketplace.  That said, makes you wonder if Elliott WANTED to get his ### kicked (or worse) as he had to be able to crack that website without having to "ask" for assistance or let them know if he wanted (at least it appears hard to believe that he could take down E-Corp and world e-commerce but not hack the human trafficking plus, website.

BTW, I can't locate any specifics, but Mr. Robot filmed in my town at some point (Glen Cove, NY). Would love to know which scene... I believe it's a residential street they filmed on with some pretty nice homes (not mansions, but stately, larger homes on decent but not large/huge lots) just off our small local downtown area.

ETA: Can't be sure, though it appears the filming in my town may have been as recently as June 30th - so wouldn't be aired yet perhaps?  Also, maybe the residential road I mentioned (Highland Avenue), but could be a road that leads into Highland (Pearsall) which is goes into our small downtown and could be anything from a home to an apartment to CVS / strip center.  Or, perhaps they filmed twice out here. Who knows (a lot of filming in my town over the last couple of years, with staging in a parking lot for the beach/park in front of my house, so I see all the signs. I even remember seeing "Robot" signs and wondering if it was Mr. Robot but I had not yet been watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see how some would be put off by the shtick... but as I noted above, it was a nice breath of "levity" (if you can call it that), or at least making light of the horrible realities faced by the characters on the show after the last episode.

FWIW, I really did not enjoy LAST week's episode.  Perhaps I was a bit too tired while watching, but it seemed to drag a bit, move slow, and while I realize you need some of the harshness that was depicted at the end of that episode, it was not a fun watch.

In that light, I needed this week's approach.  Plus, we have some more villains to hopefully get their comeuppance with the dark web / anything goes online marketplace.  That said, makes you wonder if Elliott WANTED to get his ### kicked (or worse) as he had to be able to crack that website without having to "ask" for assistance or let them know if he wanted (at least it appears hard to believe that he could take down E-Corp and world e-commerce but not hack the human trafficking plus, website.
Personally, if they stopped after the first throwback commercials or something.  I felt the schtick went on way too long.

For me it went,  hey this is kind of cool -->  lol old graphics and commercials --->  :mellow:  ---> OK I GET IT

Personally, if they stopped after the first throwback commercials or something.  I felt the schtick went on way too long.

For me it went,  hey this is kind of cool -->  lol old graphics and commercials --->  :mellow:  ---> OK I GET IT
It did go on a bit, I think that's a legit comment

There seems to be a lot of criticism about this season from fans and the press but I'm really enjoying it so far.  I believe some of it is that last season the show was brand new and there were no expectations and it blew people's minds.  Coming into this season, everyone's expectations are sky high and that leaves the show open to more criticism.  One thing I believe most can agree with regardless of how you feel about this season, Rami Malek's performances continue to be stellar.

Last edited by a moderator:
It did go on a bit, I think that's a legit comment
Until you realize it wasn't shtick for shtick's sake

Presenting those scenes, and in particular the information that was conveyed at the end, was very important and will be instrumental as the season continues.  Elliot won't be fighting Mr. Robot any longer.

Until you realize it wasn't shtick for shtick's sake

Presenting those scenes, and in particular the information that was conveyed at the end, was very important and will be instrumental as the season continues.  Elliot won't be fighting Mr. Robot any longer.
I don't think anyone is claiming the scenes were not critical from an information / move the story forward perspective. Unless I misunderstood, I think it was stylistic issues and how long the shtick lasted, not the value of the dialogue within the shtick. Don't think anyone is saying it was shtick just for shtick sake.

OH FOR SHTICK'S SAKE!

Users who are viewing this thread