What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Must haves for a new puppy (Doberman) (1 Viewer)

God, please don't crop the ears. Absolutely NO medical benefit to it, and the possible drawbacks or complications for a purely cosmetic surgery just is not worth it. :thumbdown: More Info Here
Already have the appointment set to have ears cropped. Personal preference.
Here's to the dog chomping your ears off some time in the future.
:goodposting: We have a Doby and did not crop the ears. There is no need to do it. We would have left the tail but it was already done.

God, please don't crop the ears. Absolutely NO medical benefit to it, and the possible drawbacks or complications for a purely cosmetic surgery just is not worth it. :thumbdown: More Info Here
:goodposting: We have a Doby and did not crop the ears. There is no need to do it. We would have left the tail but it was already done.
I just don't understand why people do that Ish anymore. If you want to show it or whatever and it is required, then whatever (I have other issues with people and their show dogs), but purely because you think it looks "cool"? Would be nice if someone could come around and tear off 1/3 of your ears as well.And the tail docking is even worse. They are basically taking the last 3-4 sections of vertebrae from the dog. Does that sound like a good idea to you? Messes with their balance, among other things.I just don't understand the mentality behind having such a cavalier attitude towards the whole thing. Just seems cruel and unnecessary to me, but I am a huge dog fan. :mellow: Anyway, *soapbox* off.

I just don't understand why people do that Ish anymore. If you want to show it or whatever and it is required, then whatever (I have other issues with people and their show dogs), but purely because you think it looks "cool"? Would be nice if someone could come around and tear off 1/3 of your ears as well.And the tail docking is even worse. They are basically taking the last 3-4 sections of vertebrae from the dog. Does that sound like a good idea to you? Messes with their balance, among other things.I just don't understand the mentality behind having such a cavalier attitude towards the whole thing. Just seems cruel and unnecessary to me, but I am a huge dog fan. :mellow: Anyway, *soapbox* off.
Because it's MY dog. I have to live with my dog for the next 10-15 years, and with these new laser procedures, there's really no discomfort to the pup. Lets not pretend that this is a human being, because it's not. It's a PET that I'm PAYING a pretty penny for, and will pay 20x that amount throughout it's lifetime. I have issues with people who treat animals like they're humans. We are higher in the pecking order, plain and simple. I mean, I believe in animal rights to a certain extent, but it's still legal for a parent to chop the foreskin off a baby's pecker. But now all of a sudden, we shouldn't crop our dogs ears? He will get his ears cropped, and like it damnit!

"It is the way one treats his inferiors more than the way he treats his equals which reveals one’s real character."
I am aware that animals are not humans. Isn't that kind of the point? :confused: I didn't want to turn this into a look at me post, just stating my views. I am not a vegetarian by any means...I respect and appreciate my position in nature's food chain. But dogs also occupy a special place on my hierarchy of creatures. Dog fighting used to be acceptable as well, after all. (yes, I know it is a ridiculous comparison, but it just occupies a different level on the same stage to me).

Update? How's your puppy doing?
I'm not picking him up/out until this weekend. But the breeder says everything is going great. Which leads to another question, what do/did you guys look for when picking a puppy. I've been doing tons of reading and have a pretty good grasp, but you could never know enough.
Is the breeder temperament testing? Health testing? My breeder is going to have my dog essentially picked for me when I go. I want temperament first and geared towards companion dog, so she said she will be matching dogs to owners after the test is done at 49 days (Puppy Temperament/Aptitude Test, done by an unbiased observer).

Anyone have tips on something to cover the backseat of a car? It looks kinda lame but I heard this was good: http://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-Back-Hammock-Cover/dp/B001P7DP2CIt allows for seatbelts to be placed through (necessary because NJ requires dog harnesses) and not allow the dog to jump on the floor to the seat and back when he/she gets antsy. Any other ideas?
My solution is to have a 12-year old car with 270K miles and no resale value anyway (and truck that's even older). I can't help you.

TONS of toys to chew on. Every time he/she goes to chew on something it shouldn't, you must replace it with a toy
I've heard that instead of having lots of chews, just have one. Having lots gives dogs the idea that "the world is my chew toy" whereas having one tells them "this is what I chew on".

'Ignoramus said:
TONS of toys to chew on. Every time he/she goes to chew on something it shouldn't, you must replace it with a toy
I've heard that instead of having lots of chews, just have one. Having lots gives dogs the idea that "the world is my chew toy" whereas having one tells them "this is what I chew on".
I haven't actually heard that, but it does make a lot of sense. Less things they know are "chewable" the better.

Because it's MY dog. I have to live with my dog for the next 10-15 years, and with these new laser procedures, there's really no discomfort to the pup. Lets not pretend that this is a human being, because it's not. It's a PET that I'm PAYING a pretty penny for, and will pay 20x that amount throughout it's lifetime. I have issues with people who treat animals like they're humans. We are higher in the pecking order, plain and simple. I mean, I believe in animal rights to a certain extent, but it's still legal for a parent to chop the foreskin off a baby's pecker. But now all of a sudden, we shouldn't crop our dogs ears? He will get his ears cropped, and like it damnit!
PM sent..

'Ignoramus said:
I haven't actually heard that, but it does make a lot of sense. Less things they know are "chewable" the better.
I'm no expert, but I don't think a lot of chew toys is a problem. Personally, I'm a fan.I'd think that, as long as you can take the time to set the boundaries properly early, too many isn't a problem.

I'd rather leave a big variety out early so that when the urge to chew something strikes at a young age, you have a good chance of something approved to chew on close being by.

Or maybe that's just my rationalization for never being able to resist buying a new toy.

kong or somehting similar

Id tag (may be obvious)

carpet cleaner

water "bowl" that attaches to crate
haven't read the thread, but kongs are the big one. Would also recommend enrolling the him in the puppy classes there. They don't teach you a ton, but it is great opportunity to socialize the dog and get him to meet different people

They don't teach the dog as much as they train the human to train the dog appropriate behavior. I think going through the training in essential for dogs as big, strong and powerful as Dobermans.

'SteevieG said:
Saturday's here... Tell us (or me if nobody else cares) about your Dobie puppy...
Been on the move the entire day. New dog and Mardi Gras is a combination that shouldnt exist. We drove about four hours this morning to pickup Jax. I read a ton about how to pick your puppy, and every test I read about, Jax was head and shoulders above the rest. I didn't pick the biggest or the smallest. When the wife and i got there, jax was the only pup to come straight to us. He just seemed to be very curious. He was playing with the ball and just exploring around. Responded to different sounds. The others were just laying snuggling with each other. When I held him, there was no resistance at all. I held his paws/legs with a firm grip, and there was no crying or anything. I brought him home to my son and he went straight up to him and began to play. Samething to my mother. Doesn't seem to have a fear towards humans. My wife held him the entire four hour trip back home, and he never tried to bite her once. No car sickness, just a little whining and that was it.

'SteevieG said:
Saturday's here... Tell us (or me if nobody else cares) about your Dobie puppy...
Been on the move the entire day. New dog and Mardi Gras is a combination that shouldnt exist. We drove about four hours this morning to pickup Jax. I read a ton about how to pick your puppy, and every test I read about, Jax was head and shoulders above the rest. I didn't pick the biggest or the smallest. When the wife and i got there, jax was the only pup to come straight to us. He just seemed to be very curious. He was playing with the ball and just exploring around. Responded to different sounds. The others were just laying snuggling with each other. When I held him, there was no resistance at all. I held his paws/legs with a firm grip, and there was no crying or anything. I brought him home to my son and he went straight up to him and began to play. Samething to my mother. Doesn't seem to have a fear towards humans. My wife held him the entire four hour trip back home, and he never tried to bite her once. No car sickness, just a little whining and that was it.
:goodposting: Sounds like you got a great puppy and your puppy got a great new home. Enjoy the little (for a while) guy!!

this seems as good a place as any to post.

Our 9 month old pup (mutt - we think rat terrier / German shepherd / beagle mix) is awesome in so many ways, great with the kids, great with us, hasn't pooped or peed in the house in months, lets us know when he wants to go out (happened to be 130 last night, but it's better than him pooping in the house), he's learning to walk better (still likes to sniff a lot, but that's to be expected), but he sure likes to chew things he shouldn't. Christmas tree lights while lit, slippers, logs for the fireplace, shoes my kids leave out (getting better with that), and now rugs. We give him plenty of attention I think - maybe not quite enough for him, but it's a lot, he has a lot of toys and rawhides (we're moving on from those after some research shows those are not good), but he still prefers rugs and blankets! My wife has sprayed everything down with bitter apple which seems to help some but inevitably the smell wears off before she remembers to re-spray.

We're looking to buy hooves and deer / elk antlers, but what else has helped train your pup to chew appropriate toys?

We had a few stuffed animals for him but those last less than a day.

this seems as good a place as any to post.

Our 9 month old pup (mutt - we think rat terrier / German shepherd / beagle mix) is awesome in so many ways, great with the kids, great with us, hasn't pooped or peed in the house in months, lets us know when he wants to go out (happened to be 130 last night, but it's better than him pooping in the house), he's learning to walk better (still likes to sniff a lot, but that's to be expected), but he sure likes to chew things he shouldn't. Christmas tree lights while lit, slippers, logs for the fireplace, shoes my kids leave out (getting better with that), and now rugs. We give him plenty of attention I think - maybe not quite enough for him, but it's a lot, he has a lot of toys and rawhides (we're moving on from those after some research shows those are not good), but he still prefers rugs and blankets! My wife has sprayed everything down with bitter apple which seems to help some but inevitably the smell wears off before she remembers to re-spray.

We're looking to buy hooves and deer / elk antlers, but what else has helped train your pup to chew appropriate toys?

We had a few stuffed animals for him but those last less than a day.
We used TONS of toys (though others above say its not proper). Every time we caught him chewing something he shouldn't we would use our negative noise (never use a common word like NO. They hear that far too often in regular conversation, so come up with a noise or odd word), we would replace it with a toy and praise him like crazy as soon as he put his mouth on it. Find the toys he likes, and play with him with those toys. interaction with proper play thing is important. Also rotate the toys and or bring in new ones on a monthly basis. This keeps things fresh for him and helps with boredom.

When we first got our newest dog he was a rescue he chewed EVERYTHING, it took awhile but now he only chews his toys and sticks. Lots and lots of sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread