What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets disaster (1 Viewer)

Of course Geno plays the game of his life in this meaningless game. It was nice to see Decker and Amaro making some plays, and I think Marcus Williams will be a good NFL player. Looking forward to Idzik being fired tomorrow.

Also, of course, the Jets pick goes from 4th to 6th with this stupid win. Very frustrating. There goes the chance of getting Amari Cooper.

Of course they had to screw it up and win 2 of their last 3.

Freaking Jets. I hate this franchise so much.
Yep. Very frustrating. My way too early prediction is that Idzik is fired tomorrow, Rex is retained until a new GM comes in and is allowed to pick his own guy, and Rex will then be fired. I think the new GM won't want to take a QB early because if next year doesn't go well, and it probably won't, then the new GM will be able to say that he hasn't had a chance to pick his own QB yet, which will give the new GM an extra year of breathing space Idzik didn't get. Basically, I think Geno's starting Week 1 next year, which I'm not thrilled about.

Yep. Very frustrating. My way too early prediction is that Idzik is fired tomorrow, Rex is retained until a new GM comes in and is allowed to pick his own guy, and Rex will then be fired. I think the new GM won't want to take a QB early because if next year doesn't go well, and it probably won't, then the new GM will be able to say that he hasn't had a chance to pick his own QB yet, which will give the new GM an extra year of breathing space Idzik didn't get. Basically, I think Geno's starting Week 1 next year, which I'm not thrilled about.
Yeah, this is probably what will happen. I don't like either of the 2 QB's, so I hope they spend the pick elsewhere.

Rex will be successful at his next job. If its as a DC, he'll be wildly successful. But even as a head coach, I still think he'll be fine. He'll learn from this experience.

That being said, they have to fire him. Too many mistakes (penalties, wasted time outs) and bad player development (which falls on everyone, but the head coach always takes the fall) to survive 2 GM's. I'm sort of hoping they don't, but it has to happen.

Yeah, this is probably what will happen. I don't like either of the 2 QB's, so I hope they spend the pick elsewhere.

Rex will be successful at his next job. If its as a DC, he'll be wildly successful. But even as a head coach, I still think he'll be fine. He'll learn from this experience.

That being said, they have to fire him. Too many mistakes (penalties, wasted time outs) and bad player development (which falls on everyone, but the head coach always takes the fall) to survive 2 GM's. I'm sort of hoping they don't, but it has to happen.
Yep. The best Woody can do at this point is leave Rex's fate in the hands of a new GM; you just can't justify mandating that he stays again.

I think Rex will be very successful on a team that already has a good offense (like Atlanta). The fact the Jets D was able to do anything this year with the crap that they trotted out in the secondary every week is a testament to Rex's abilities as a defensive coach. Rex clearly has his flaws as a coach, but if you give him a functional offense I think he'll be fine.

John Idzik will be near the top of my list of all time sports villains going forward. How anybody whiffs on that many draft picks and botches free agency so badly I'll never understand. This franchise was in prime position to make a huge jump these past 2 years and he singlehandedly tanked it.

Sheldon Richardson is a monster, but other than that, this guy screwed up basically every single move.

Im not as upset about going from 4 to 6 as I was about the key game to Tenn. Maybe its because I still like it when they beat the Dolphins and some of the key players showed something unlike the Tenn game...plus if it is indeed Rex's last game I enjoyed seeing him go out with a W though I would have passed on the Gatorade bath at 4-12!

If rampant rumors are true - Idzik will be gone tomorrow - good riddance! Seems that the plan is to land a GM and let him make the call on Rex which is how it should have went last time around. Some of the coaches names floated just dont have me excited so far: Bowles and Mora Jr,...are either any better than Rex? Hope Woody makes at least one big run at the big fish...odds are he wont come East to this mess but gotta make him a crazy

Should be an interesting few days.

Well, Bowles excites me as a candidate.

Starter for a Super Bowl champion for what that is worth, former Jets assistant, from NJ, Bill Parcells was one of his mentors, players love playing for him, has not shown to be a coward (a lot of gutsy blitzing; I have seen all Cardinals plays this year- there has been a lot of exotic looks by the Arizona defense and it has been a very aggressive attack), and worked in the personnel department for a Super Bowl champion.

He certainly has a good resume and he will get a head coaching job. The biggest issue for me is whether or not the Jets should pursue a coach with an offensive background just because.

The best offensive-minded candidates might be Josh McDaniels and Hue Jackson. McDaniels was certainly goofy in Denver but the Jets like goofy (Carroll, Edwards, Ryan).

One other note on Bowles. Not sure if any of you guys remember this, but he was the Miami head coach during the infamous Holmes-is-on-the-sideline-and-I, Rex Ryan-have-no-idea-why game.

John Idzik will be near the top of my list of all time sports villains going forward. How anybody whiffs on that many draft picks and botches free agency so badly I'll never understand. This franchise was in prime position to make a huge jump these past 2 years and he singlehandedly tanked it.

Sheldon Richardson is a monster, but other than that, this guy screwed up basically every single move.
Yep. I'm sure there will be some pieces written soon recapping all his terrible moves, but it's really uncanny how terrible his picks were. It's also pretty bad that he wasn't consistent in his "plan." He came in saying that he planned to build through the draft and avoid free agency, yet he ended up giving Decker a big contract and trading for Harvin, yet he refused to spend any money at all on corners.

Jeta fans better be careful what they wish for.

I predict we'll see the same jets and bears fans right back here next year this time complaining about the same ####.

Rex should've been coach of the year winning a game with that roster

Sounds like Woody has a coach in mind he really wants. He made several comments in the press conference suggesting a coach could be hired before GM depending on timing/availability issues.

I predict we'll see the same jets and bears fans right back here next year this time complaining about the same ####.

I don't think most Jets fans wanted Ryan fired. We just accepted that it was inevitable based on the last four seasons. The only reason that I am ok with him being fired is that you just can't land a competent GM if you don't allow him to bring in his own HC - and right now getting a competent GM is the most important thing.

Sounds like Woody has a coach in mind he really wants. He made several comments in the press conference suggesting a coach could be hired before GM depending on timing/availability issues.
I didn't get that vibe at all. He specifically mentioned that the Jets had already contacted a few GM candidates.

I don't think most Jets fans wanted Ryan fired. We just accepted that it was inevitable based on the last four seasons. The only reason that I am ok with him being fired is that you just can't land a competent GM if you don't allow him to bring in his own HC - and right now getting a competent GM is the most important thing.
This. Plus, allowing Rex to survive 4 straight bad seasons and 2 GM's sends a bad message (especially since at least some of what made the team bad was his fault)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get that vibe at all. He specifically mentioned that the Jets had already contacted a few GM candidates.
He made all of the contacts, but it could still take long enough to close a deal that he could risk losing a coach. He made comments a couple of times about timing and competition being a factor. It might not work out that way, but he sure seemed to me to be leaving that door open.

(ETA- Jets are one of the teams who, per Schefter, have reached out to Harbaugh.)

I liked Rex, and definitely feel he has a future. The fact that this team played hard all year is a feather in his cap - the guy can definitely get a lot out of his players.

That said, he does need more experience. His game management is bad, and I don't think he was ever a "set the tone" guy for his assistants. He got plenty out of his players, but not enough out of everyone else. Three different OC's couldn't make the Jets O better. At some point, that's on the head coach. Plus, for all of his defensive acumen, the Jets never, ever seemed to make the big stop, and routinely got chewed up over the middle. His "get the qb" mentality (inherited from his father) needs to be curtailed a little. I'd rather see unexciting, well-covered and tackled 3 and outs than constant blitzing sacks.

Good luck in your next gig, Rex, whatever it is.

Since there isn't much going on in Jet-land now, I thought I'd go with my way too early wish list.

GM: Don't really care, as long as there's some scouting background. I know the Jets just requested an interview with Seattle's directer of pro personnel, and that would be good with me.

Coach: Whoever the GM decides on really, although I'd prefer someone with an offensive background if all things are equal.

TRANSACTIONS

Cut:

• Chris Johnson,
  • Percy Harvin (unless he's willing to accept a massive pay cut),
  • Nick Folk (This one might be controversial, but I think kickers are pretty much all replaceable, Folk's had bad 2nd halves 2 years in a row, and he doesn't produce touchbacks. I think a rookie would do better, and would make a lot less than Folk's 2.6 million).
  • Calvin Pace- He's due something like 2.2 million, and I don't think he's worth that, although if he's kept, it's not the end of the world.
Resign

• Kenrick Ellis- He's big and talented, and I think he'd come pretty cheaply, so I think it's a low-risk move.
  • David Harris? I'm really on the fence here. I don't think Harris is anything special, and he's now at least 30, so this really depends on how much it would cost.
  • Bilal Powell? Depends on the cost
DON'T Resign

• Willie Colon- Too many penalties and an injury risk. Time to upgrade here.
Free Agency

• Sign Mike Iupati. The Jets will have a ton of money, and I think the best available guard would be a good place to spend it. I know that Iupati had a bit of a down year this past season, but he's been a great player in the past, and he's still young. The more Geno stays upright, the better chance he'll have of succeeding next year.
  • Sign Devin McCourty. Now that Rex is gone, the next defense we play will probably require safeties who can actually cover. McCourty is the best one available, and he'll let Pryor play in the box, where he belongs.
  • Sign Roy Helu- I've always liked Helu, and I think he'd be an excellent, and cheap, complement to Ivory.
  • Sign a WR- I know Dez isn't getting out of Dallas, but I think some of: Demaryius, Torrey Smith, and Cobb will get to the open market. If that's the case, then I think the Jets should go after one of them.
  • Sign a corner??? There are almost no good CBs that will be available in FA this year; Kareem Jackson is probably the best, and he'll probably stay in Houston. We'll have to wait and see what happens with cuts, because someone decent will probably become available.
DRAFT

-I wouldn't be opposed to trading down, assuming Amari Cooper won't be available. If the Browns wanted to swap their 2 firsts, I'd be open to that. Depending on FA, I think the Jets need to address WR and CB first, with MLB a need as well. Finally, D'Brick might be on the decline. While I don't think he needs to be cut this offseason, I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder on an athletic project who can take over next season.

Thoughts on any/all of this, fellow Jets fans?

Jets going hard after Ravens Eric DeCosta....probably a long shot as he is the heir to the Ravens but this is the kind of name I like to see....throw him full control with a boat load of money and see if he bites....I don't see Ozzy retiring any time soon...maybe Jets can steal him

Since there isn't much going on in Jet-land now, I thought I'd go with my way too early wish list.

GM: Don't really care, as long as there's some scouting background. I know the Jets just requested an interview with Seattle's directer of pro personnel, and that would be good with me.

Coach: Whoever the GM decides on really, although I'd prefer someone with an offensive background if all things are equal.

TRANSACTIONS

Cut:

• Chris Johnson,
  • Percy Harvin (unless he's willing to accept a massive pay cut),
  • Nick Folk (This one might be controversial, but I think kickers are pretty much all replaceable, Folk's had bad 2nd halves 2 years in a row, and he doesn't produce touchbacks. I think a rookie would do better, and would make a lot less than Folk's 2.6 million).
  • Calvin Pace- He's due something like 2.2 million, and I don't think he's worth that, although if he's kept, it's not the end of the world.
Resign

• Kenrick Ellis- He's big and talented, and I think he'd come pretty cheaply, so I think it's a low-risk move.
  • David Harris? I'm really on the fence here. I don't think Harris is anything special, and he's now at least 30, so this really depends on how much it would cost.
  • Bilal Powell? Depends on the cost
DON'T Resign

• Willie Colon- Too many penalties and an injury risk. Time to upgrade here.
Free Agency

• Sign Mike Iupati. The Jets will have a ton of money, and I think the best available guard would be a good place to spend it. I know that Iupati had a bit of a down year this past season, but he's been a great player in the past, and he's still young. The more Geno stays upright, the better chance he'll have of succeeding next year.
  • Sign Devin McCourty. Now that Rex is gone, the next defense we play will probably require safeties who can actually cover. McCourty is the best one available, and he'll let Pryor play in the box, where he belongs.
  • Sign Roy Helu- I've always liked Helu, and I think he'd be an excellent, and cheap, complement to Ivory.
  • Sign a WR- I know Dez isn't getting out of Dallas, but I think some of: Demaryius, Torrey Smith, and Cobb will get to the open market. If that's the case, then I think the Jets should go after one of them.
  • Sign a corner??? There are almost no good CBs that will be available in FA this year; Kareem Jackson is probably the best, and he'll probably stay in Houston. We'll have to wait and see what happens with cuts, because someone decent will probably become available.
DRAFT

-I wouldn't be opposed to trading down, assuming Amari Cooper won't be available. If the Browns wanted to swap their 2 firsts, I'd be open to that. Depending on FA, I think the Jets need to address WR and CB first, with MLB a need as well. Finally, D'Brick might be on the decline. While I don't think he needs to be cut this offseason, I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder on an athletic project who can take over next season.

Thoughts on any/all of this, fellow Jets fans?
great list - agree with just about all of it....going to have to draft a CB again early again unless Revis finds his way back to NY....

Key is the OL IMO - probably have 2-3 more decent seasons from Brick and Mangold....take this time to fortify the line and grab an heir at LT....sign Iupati who would be a massive upgrade....assuming Cooper is gone I would go with the highest rated OL. Would instantly upgrade the OL big time...last time Jets had a pick this high they went Brick and it paid off.

If they can somehow grab one of the WR studs in FA Cooper would not even be needed.

I think they are already messing this up if the reports are true that they are bringing in head coaching candidates as early as this weekend - before they have a GM in place.

The more Geno stays upright, the better chance he'll have of succeeding next year.
This sentence depresses me. While it's probably likely that the team will almost have to start Geno next season, I just can't get behind it. Even when he was having the game of his life in Week 17 was there anyone that wasn't waiting for him to blow the game with a 4th quarter pick 6?

I'd love to see Trae Waynes from Mich State get picked by the Jets in round 2. Kenny Bell would be a nice pick in round 3. Obviously, pro days and combine and lies and smokescreens from teams will help determine where those two fellows go in the draft. I could be way off on where they will go. I have a similar opinion on Bell as I had on the two LSU WRs of last year. Guys that are not huge but they are tough and have good hands.

The more Geno stays upright, the better chance he'll have of succeeding next year.
This sentence depresses me. While it's probably likely that the team will almost have to start Geno next season, I just can't get behind it. Even when he was having the game of his life in Week 17 was there anyone that wasn't waiting for him to blow the game with a 4th quarter pick 6?
Matt Moore might be a possibility for one year until a franchise guy can be found in the 2016 draft.

Matt Moore might be a possibility for one year until a franchise guy can be found in the 2016 draft.
While that wouldn't be an exciting addition, I've always thought he could be an above average quarterback.

I think they are already messing this up if the reports are true that they are bringing in head coaching candidates as early as this weekend - before they have a GM in place.
Im hoping they are interviewing Quinn without a GM because of the 1 week bye window...but I agree...unless Casserly or Wolf is going to be the GM they are doing it backwards yet again

Im hoping they are interviewing Quinn without a GM because of the 1 week bye window...but I agree...unless Casserly or Wolf is going to be the GM they are doing it backwards yet again
Personally I'd rather that they "miss out" on one of these hot coaching candidates than to do this backwards once again. I think there's a lot more viable coaching candidates than slam dunk GM choices. I just don't want to have to settle once again on a GM that's willing to take a job with a HC already in place - especially a brand new HC that will be harder to get rid of.

While that wouldn't be an exciting addition, I've always thought he could be an above average quarterback.
I have no problems with signing Moore and having an open competition in camp for the QB job, especially since without Idzik, it will actually be an open competition.

The Jets will interview Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable for their head-coaching vacancy this weekend.

Jets brass is traveling to the Pacific Northwest over the weekend to do a handful of interviews. In addition to Cable, owner Woody Johnson and consultants Ron Wolf and Charley Casserly will speak with DC Dan Quinn. Seahawks Director of Pro Personnel Trent Kirchner will interview for the GM job. Cable was the Raiders' head coach from 2008-2010, compiling a 17-27 record. He's been with Seattle since 2011. There were rumblings earlier this month that if Cable gets a head-coach job, he could bring Marshawn Lynch with him.
So the Jets could come back from Seattle with a GM, a HC and Marshawn Lynch all in tow for next season - interesting.

The Jets will interview Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable for their head-coaching vacancy this weekend.

Jets brass is traveling to the Pacific Northwest over the weekend to do a handful of interviews. In addition to Cable, owner Woody Johnson and consultants Ron Wolf and Charley Casserly will speak with DC Dan Quinn. Seahawks Director of Pro Personnel Trent Kirchner will interview for the GM job. Cable was the Raiders' head coach from 2008-2010, compiling a 17-27 record. He's been with Seattle since 2011. There were rumblings earlier this month that if Cable gets a head-coach job, he could bring Marshawn Lynch with him.
So the Jets could come back from Seattle with a GM, a HC and Marshawn Lynch all in tow for next season - interesting.
I am not wowed by Cable but I would be more happy about him being named the next HC than I was when Ryan was hired. (For the record, I did not like the Ryan hire and consider his tenure a failure.)

I actually thought Marrone did good to get that team to finish with a winning record. My concern with Reich is that he has not been coaching for long. I don't know what sort of staff he could hire.

Gotta love how the Jets have already managed to get turned down for one interview offer by the Vikings assistant GM and Woody Johnson somehow worked in his desire to sign Darrelle Revis, even though he's currently a Patriot and in clear violation of the league's tampering rules. Which Belichick made sure to state in his own press conference.

They're also attempting to interview both GM candidates and head coaching candidates. Instead of hiring a GM and allowing him to pick the head coach or hiring the right head coach and giving him the power to bring in his own head scout or cap guy to oversee the front office. Nope, let's do both instead of deciding on our overall organizational philosophy first.

Oh, the Jets. Woody Johnson is just one horrible owner. I feel bad for the fans that have to hope this guys pulls a rabbit out of his white NY hat.

Fariq said:
I actually thought Marrone did good to get that team to finish with a winning record. My concern with Reich is that he has not been coaching for long. I don't know what sort of staff he could hire.
Bills fans are all praying he goes to the Jets. Happy New Year indeed :excited: Offensive/Oline guru with one of the worst units in the league two years in a row. Stubborn....clueless game manager.....horrible management/grooming of young players.

"That team" had the best D in the league with THREE probowlers on the Dline. This had nothing to do with Marrone...he was what was holding them back.

Happy day!!

A lot of Bills fans wanted this 7 weeks ago.

Fariq said:
Bills fans are all praying he goes to the Jets. Happy New Year indeed :excited: Offensive/Oline guru with one of the worst units in the league two years in a row. Stubborn....clueless game manager.....horrible management/grooming of young players.

"That team" had the best D in the league with THREE probowlers on the Dline. This had nothing to do with Marrone...he was what was holding them back.

Happy day!!

A lot of Bills fans wanted this 7 weeks ago.
I hope it works out for you.

I think Marrone is the guy....doubt he leaves Buff without a job in hand...don't know a ton about him...like that he has HC exp with offensive bkgrd...dont like that Buff O has been as bad or worse than the jets....though whipped rex d twice last yr...on fence with this one...would love more info/opinions

Kubiak..head coach experience. terrific offensive mind..you already have one of the best o-lines in football lets just add a solid RB and WR like Cooper and we're off to the races..look, Kubiak turned a nobody like Matt Schaub into a top 10 QB a couple of times, so he'd do the same for Geno.

Casserly is already there, he's a Kubiak guy..

I'd also give KYLE SHANAHAN a look..he's another terrific offensive coach.

Kubiak..head coach experience. terrific offensive mind..you already have one of the best o-lines in football lets just add a solid RB and WR like Cooper and we're off to the races..look, Kubiak turned a nobody like Matt Schaub into a top 10 QB a couple of times, so he'd do the same for Geno.

Casserly is already there, he's a Kubiak guy..

I'd also give KYLE SHANAHAN a look..he's another terrific offensive coach.
Not sure the Jets have even an average o line at this point Mangold is still elite but ferguson is only good at this point (and trending down). Both members of the right side are horrible and aboushi is still unproven

Users who are viewing this thread