What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets disaster (1 Viewer)

Hiring Marrone without a Gm in place would be bizarre.
Yep. Especially since we JUST SAW that hiring a GM and not letting him pick his coach didn't work.
I'm not happy with how this is being handled. My gut would say that Marrone is likely not a great candidate to begin with (but admittedly, who knows?) but how could they be interviewing and considering anyone for the position before they have a GM in place. I realize Woody is clueless, but what exactly are Casserly and Wolf doing if they are allowing this to happen?

Yep. Especially since we JUST SAW that hiring a GM and not letting him pick his coach didn't work.
I'm not happy with how this is being handled. My gut would say that Marrone is likely not a great candidate to begin with (but admittedly, who knows?) but how could they be interviewing and considering anyone for the position before they have a GM in place. I realize Woody is clueless, but what exactly are Casserly and Wolf doing if they are allowing this to happen?
Looking more and more like Marrone is the guy and the GM search is focusing on guys with Marrone ties - this way even if they hire Marrone 1st they will still have a GM who would have selected him....I still dont like how Woody is conducting the search...swapping Rex for Marrone is not an upgrade IMO....and selecting the HC before the GM is just a bad idea even if they like Marrone.

Looking more and more like Marrone is the guy and the GM search is focusing on guys with Marrone ties - this way even if they hire Marrone 1st they will still have a GM who would have selected him....I still dont like how Woody is conducting the search...swapping Rex for Marrone is not an upgrade IMO....and selecting the HC before the GM is just a bad idea even if they like Marrone.
Yep. I don't know if Marrone spit in Mehta's cornflakes or something, but Mehta is already leading the charge against Marrone. Obviously you have to take everything Mehta says with a whole lot of salt, but some of the stories he's relaying are insane. More importantly, I just think it's really odd that Woody is treating Marrone as some kind of can't-miss coaching prospect, even though he has no track record to support that.

This is crazy. It's almost as if Woody is trying to test Gregg Easterbrook's theory about brand loyalty to professional sports teams (Easterbrook says if your NFL franchise is consistently and comically inept, switch teams. They're pros. It's entertainment.) It's hard enough to root for the Jets in Pats country against family and friends, Woody's near-insanity doesn't help make me want to expend any extra ounce of effort.

This is crazy. It's almost as if Woody is trying to test Gregg Easterbrook's theory about brand loyalty to professional sports teams (Easterbrook says if your NFL franchise is consistently and comically inept, switch teams. They're pros. It's entertainment.) It's hard enough to root for the Jets in Pats country against family and friends, Woody's near-insanity doesn't help make me want to expend any extra ounce of effort.
I have since come around to the haters and am against Marrone coming to the Jets.

Look, I think he is an okay coach and I'd like to see what he can do with a really good QB (ditto rex ryan), but his offensive attacks at Syracuse and Buffalo were not awe-inspiring. The Jets need a more dynamic head coach.

The media is already killing Marrone and it seems like he has a Mangini-like aspect to him.

I'd rather the Jets take Kubiak or Jim Mora Jr. I am not crazy about them either, though.

I have since come around to the haters and am against Marrone coming to the Jets.

Look, I think he is an okay coach and I'd like to see what he can do with a really good QB (ditto rex ryan), but his offensive attacks at Syracuse and Buffalo were not awe-inspiring. The Jets need a more dynamic head coach.

The media is already killing Marrone and it seems like he has a Mangini-like aspect to him.

I'd rather the Jets take Kubiak or Jim Mora Jr. I am not crazy about them either, though.
I feel pretty confident saying that if Marrone comes to the Jets, we won't get the opportunity to find out how he'd do with a really good QB.

We arent getting Mariota. Probably wont get Winston. Have any of you seen Grayson play? I like what ive read on him but havent seen him at all this year. Have a feeling we will take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

We arent getting Mariota. Probably wont get Winston. Have any of you seen Grayson play? I like what ive read on him but havent seen him at all this year. Have a feeling we will take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd.
I've only seen two games but I would draft him ahead of Winston if you want a traditional pocket QB (although he is a little mobile). Strong arm, mostly accurate but will force passes do to overconfidence in his arm. Reminds me a lot of Roethlisberger and a little less athletic Bortles. He'll go early 2nd.

Like Hundley too although I have a feeling he won't make it past the Eagles in the 1st.

Kubiak..they need offensive help, HIRE KUBIAK!!!!! draft Cooper.

I mean it's a no-brainer, really..this guy produced a top ten QB, perennial top 5 WR in AJ, and perennial top 5 RB in Arian Foster. his offenses were dynamic, even his previous work with Denver shows this guy is just a great coach..

he's the best guy available and its not even close.Doug Marrone?Really? like Francesa said, Bellichick must be laughing hysterically if the Bills and Jets switch head coaches....why would either team ever consider such a silly move?

Rex to Atl it makes such good sense it almost HAS to happen..

but all of the other guys are just fluff..they're not firing a defensive guy like Rex, just to hire another one like Bowles..not happening..

Kubiak..they need offensive help, HIRE KUBIAK!!!!! draft Cooper.

I mean it's a no-brainer, really..this guy produced a top ten QB, perennial top 5 WR in AJ, and perennial top 5 RB in Arian Foster. his offenses were dynamic, even his previous work with Denver shows this guy is just a great coach..

he's the best guy available and its not even close.Doug Marrone?Really? like Francesa said, Bellichick must be laughing hysterically if the Bills and Jets switch head coaches....why would either team ever consider such a silly move?

Rex to Atl it makes such good sense it almost HAS to happen..

but all of the other guys are just fluff..they're not firing a defensive guy like Rex, just to hire another one like Bowles..not happening..
Kubiak would be an excellent hire for the Jets.

How bad did that Marrone interview have to be to go from all reports saying the job was basically his to he has no shot?

As a Bills fan, I was hoping Marrone would end up in NY for several reasons.

But as a long suffering fan, I also have empathy for Jets fans as well.

I think you guys dodged a bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im still not convinced but may have dodged the Marrone bullet....lots of momentum now on Quinn....I could live with him but would much rather go Kubiak. I know the end of his tenure imploded in Houston but he had that offense humming for a while.....

also hearing marrone's interview went well from other sources, so not sure who to believe on that..

hopefully its gonna be Quinn...

I don't think any of these coaches are getting hired until Seattle gets eliminated...with that said, it would make sense for one team to step up and hire the "best of the available", as I can see a feeding frenzy once Bevell/Quinn gets hired. If that means the Jets taking Kubiak, I certainly can live with that. Personally, after having Rex, Mangini and Edwards all in a row, I would like to see an offensive coach in Green.

There's a whole added layer of weirdness here because so many members of the Jets beat went to Syracuse, where Marrone coached, so some writers are defending him while others (like Mehta) are taking absolute potshots at him. I have no idea what's going on or what to think at this point.

Looks like Marrone's former assistant coach ripped him good....you rarely see this!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/06/former-assistant-coach-rips-doug-marrone-a-new-one/

Self-centered, selfish, greedy,” former Syracuse assistant head coach Bob Casullo said of Marrone on ESPN Syracuse, via the New York Daily News. “You’re re-shuffling an egomaniac, less than .500 coach.
Dang that sounds not unlike like what Zimmer said about Petrino when he left the Falcons.

-QG

How bad did that Marrone interview have to be to go from all reports saying the job was basically his to he has no shot?

who know how the interview really went but the Jets did let him leave the complex without signing him and allowing him to go interview at other places..

if they wanted him that badly they would have/should have done everything to get him signed before he got onto a plane

I want Quinn.. I know it's a defensive guy but the way that defense plays is something to emulate..a re-tread like Kubiak although good for the offense isn't going to cut it, IMHO

who know how the interview really went but the Jets did let him leave the complex without signing him and allowing him to go interview at other places..

if they wanted him that badly they would have/should have done everything to get him signed before he got onto a plane

I want Quinn.. I know it's a defensive guy but the way that defense plays is something to emulate..a re-tread like Kubiak although good for the offense isn't going to cut it, IMHO
I like Quinn over Marrone...but I just don't see the point with another defensive guy. Everyone agrees that Rex was great with the D...gambling that Quinn would be more of a complete head coach than Rex with so much less experience....I think it would be a step back. Jets needs a new identity and offensive philosophy...man I miss the days of a dynamic Jet O - Wesley Walker, Toon, Key, Chrbet, Cumart....it's an offensive league and time for an offensive coach IMO.

Good news Jets' fans:

Dolphins hired ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum as executive vice president of football operations.

Tannenbaum's title is a fancy way of saying he'll be owner Stephen Ross' new football czar, a la Mike Holmgren in Cleveland. He spent the past year as a "consultant" to Ross. It's an ominous development for GM Dennis Hickey and coach Joe Philbin, though both should be safe for 2015. Amazingly, Philbin is expected to continue reporting directly to Ross. General manager of the Jets from 2006-12, Tannenbaum didn't stand out as a man deserving of a second chance to oversee someone's entire football operation, but the Dolphins rarely make sound decisions. Tannenbaum was an abject disaster his final years in the Big Apple, though did have the good sense to hire Rex Ryan, and oversaw a roster that made back-to-back AFC Championship Games. Either way, Ross is grasping at straws with his latest dart-board throw.

Wow. Everyone avoiding the Jets. Geez
Yeah, it is because the owner is a goofball and the fans and media are tough on general managers and head coaches. It takes a special kind of person to succeed with this team.

The Jets only have six true road games in 2015, they have a ton of cap space, and the new coach has small shoes to fill (because the previous coach did nothing the previous four years) and it apparently still is not an attractive job.

That's a damn shame. I'd like to see the Jets do well again. The local media hammers these guys and then complains about how bad the team is. I actually think the media enjoys them being bad so they have more to complain about.

I don't keep up with them much but what's up with the owner? Is he the Daniel Snyder type?
He wears a ballcap with a suit, says dopey stuff during press conferences (for instance, when asked to provide one word to describe Rex Ryan, he said, "Try hard"), once paid some non-Jet employee $300,000 to find a GM (John Idzik) and loves owning a football team and entertaining rich people in his box during games. Johnson is not like Snyder at all. The former is goofy. The latter is an #####.

That's a damn shame. I'd like to see the Jets do well again. The local media hammers these guys and then complains about how bad the team is. I actually think the media enjoys them being bad so they have more to complain about.
Oh, there's no question about it. Obviously Francessa hates them with a passion. Rich Cimini takes shots at them and makes little stupid one liners (that you just know he thinks are SUPER clever) at the end of every "article" he writes for ESPN.

I don't keep up with them much but what's up with the owner? Is he the Daniel Snyder type?
He wears a ballcap with a suit, says dopey stuff during press conferences (for instance, when asked to provide one word to describe Rex Ryan, he said, "Try hard"), once paid some non-Jet employee $300,000 to find a GM (John Idzik) and loves owning a football team and entertaining rich people in his box during games.Johnson is not like Snyder at all. The former is goofy. The latter is an #####.
I'll say one thing positive about Woody. I think the "all he cares about are PSL sales" narrative is a bit unfair. I absolutely believe the guy wants to win. This isn't some vanity hobby for him. I think it legitimately bothers him when they lose.

I think he cares a little bit (well, maybe a lot) too much about grabbing headlines (I'm fairly confident he's at least 95% to blame for the Tebow debacle) and I think he knows absolutely nothing about how to run a football team.

He also lives 11 minutes away from me and if he botches this round of hirings I'll be driving over to the compound and throwing bags of gorilla poop over the fence on a regular basis for the foreseeable future.

He wears a ballcap with a suit, says dopey stuff during press conferences (for instance, when asked to provide one word to describe Rex Ryan, he said, "Try hard"), once paid some non-Jet employee $300,000 to find a GM (John Idzik) and loves owning a football team and entertaining rich people in his box during games.Johnson is not like Snyder at all. The former is goofy. The latter is an #####.
I'll say one thing positive about Woody. I think the "all he cares about are PSL sales" narrative is a bit unfair. I absolutely believe the guy wants to win. This isn't some vanity hobby for him. I think it legitimately bothers him when they lose.

I think he cares a little bit (well, maybe a lot) too much about grabbing headlines (I'm fairly confident he's at least 95% to blame for the Tebow debacle) and I think he knows absolutely nothing about how to run a football team.

He also lives 11 minutes away from me and if he botches this round of hirings I'll be driving over to the compound and throwing bags of gorilla poop over the fence on a regular basis for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, I think this is all accurate. He wants to win, and he wants to be relevant. I think he'd be more than happy to take a hands-off approach with a good GM; I just don't think he has the ability to pick a good GM, or at least he hasn't shown that so far. As for the PSLs, it's worth noting that MetLife was privately funded, so there's a lot more of an investment to make back. Not that I have too much sympathy for the guy, who's a billionaire, but at least the only people being bled dry are those who are willingly going to Jets games, as opposed to taxpayers footing the bill.

He wears a ballcap with a suit, says dopey stuff during press conferences (for instance, when asked to provide one word to describe Rex Ryan, he said, "Try hard"), once paid some non-Jet employee $300,000 to find a GM (John Idzik) and loves owning a football team and entertaining rich people in his box during games. Johnson is not like Snyder at all. The former is goofy. The latter is an #####.
He also once said he sympathizes with the fans that have to pay for PSL and season tickets, because he knows what it's like to scrimp and save - despite being born into one of the richest families in America.

The "Avoiding the Jets" Narrative is silly - The ppl turning them down are mostly moving up with teams they are already with or are already locked into jobs... But, it's the Jets so, trot out those narratives....

That said.... I'm leaning Quinn / Kubiak...

Everyone getting to see what a total DB Manish is.... I was never a Marrone fan - I mocked the Bills for hiring a decent OL coach with mediocre college record for years.... Never saw why he was such a draw, add in personality issues and bad relationship with Media and that's a total powder Keg in NY.... No Freaking way!!!

I'll say this... Look at the Knicks - Phil Knows how to tank.... If you know you're firing Rex, IMO you do it months ago and lock in that better pick!!!!!

I miss Rex already tho - Hope he gets the ATL job, I'll be rooting for him.... I like him better than any candidate out there.

If anyone missed it..... Loved Chase's article on Idzik.... I think a lot of the "Mistakes" were a bit overblown... http://www.footballperspective.com/john-idzik-fired-and-rebuilding-in-new-york/

Like someone else said earlier, Marrone's sySyracuse connection means we'll never get the real story from the NYC media.

Too many dbags like cimini that will never say a bad word about the guy that brought their horrible team back to respectability

Like someone else said earlier, Marrone's sySyracuse connection means we'll never get the real story from the NYC media.

Too many dbags like cimini that will never say a bad word about the guy that brought their horrible team back to respectability
Manish is also Syracuse and he's ripping the guy apart.... So, either way they have an agenda...

NY media just sucks ###.... I love when ppl call them out on it... Even Bart called out Manish this week.

I don't get how you can love this sport so much and become a TMZ DB who players hate and have to get up every day playing that role.

Manish is also Syracuse and he's ripping the guy apart.... So, either way they have an agenda...

NY media just sucks ###.... I love when ppl call them out on it... Even Bart called out Manish this week.

I don't get how you can love this sport so much and become a TMZ DB who players hate and have to get up every day playing that role.
Yeah, the NY media (or I guess I should say the Jets media, since the NYG writers aren't like this) are almost all agenda-driven hacks. What's weird is that Mehta used to be the best Jets beat writer when he worked for the Star Ledger, but once he went to the Daily News, he immediately turned into a troll. His article that he wrote last year when he said that Rex gave up on the team because he went to see his son on cutdown day stands as perhaps the worst piece of "journalism" of all time.

Whoever the Jets hire, I'm sure there will be writers with axes to grind, particularly if the new hire doesn't talk to the media. At this point, I just want someone with a scouting background to be the GM, and I want the GM and the coach to have chosen each other. That's not too much to ask, is it?

The "Avoiding the Jets" Narrative is silly - The ppl turning them down are mostly moving up with teams they are already with or are already locked into jobs... But, it's the Jets so, trot out those narratives....

Everyone getting to see what a total DB Manish is.... I was never a Marrone fan - I mocked the Bills for hiring a decent OL coach with mediocre college record for years.... Never saw why he was such a draw, add in personality issues and bad relationship with Media and that's a total powder Keg in NY.... No Freaking way!!!

I'll say this... Look at the Knicks - Phil Knows how to tank.... If you know you're firing Rex, IMO you do it months ago and lock in that better pick!!!!!

I miss Rex already tho - Hope he gets the ATL job, I'll be rooting for him.... I like him better than any candidate out there.

If anyone missed it..... Loved Chase's article on Idzik.... I think a lot of the "Mistakes" were a bit overblown... http://www.footballperspective.com/john-idzik-fired-and-rebuilding-in-new-york/
Think the article was way too soft on Idzik - you can preach builing through the draft then whiff on most of your draft picks. A 4 win team had 2 players that looked decent, neither of which were starters all year....that's unacceptable with 12 picks, Throw in it was the best WR draft in decades and he ended up with 0 catches from rookie WRs...awful

Throw in his rambling press conference where he praised the ball boys, secretaries and such - he was toast.

[

Think the article was way too soft on Idzik - you can preach builing through the draft then whiff on most of your draft picks. A 4 win team had 2 players that looked decent, neither of which were starters all year....that's unacceptable with 12 picks, Throw in it was the best WR draft in decades and he ended up with 0 catches from rookie WRs...awfulThrow in his rambling press conference where he praised the ball boys, secretaries and such - he was toast.
Agree totallyIdzik really stunk

[

Think the article was way too soft on Idzik - you can preach builing through the draft then whiff on most of your draft picks. A 4 win team had 2 players that looked decent, neither of which were starters all year....that's unacceptable with 12 picks, Throw in it was the best WR draft in decades and he ended up with 0 catches from rookie WRs...awfulThrow in his rambling press conference where he praised the ball boys, secretaries and such - he was toast.
Agree totallyIdzik really stunk
Yeah.. Not worth Debating... I was the most furious fan I know on draft day last year....lol. He tried to be way too cute on WR depth of that draft. Hopefully these OL he drafted pan out and maybe a WR....

I just think the truth is some where in the middle and he did the dirty work set up for This year to spend money... Just funny when you look at the drafts of some GM's in line for jobs and it's often hit / miss... Rock bottom was Tannenbaum's last few drafts..... I'm just a big believer in NOT spending money when you don't have a contender / QB in place unless you can guarantee that talent is worth the price tag and will last the rebuild - That CB market was rated as #### before the FA period and magically became Must Have talent as Agents, fans and media propped them up.... Idzik was man enough to draw a line at Talent Vs Value and stick with it, Career be damned.... Tanny would have thrown all that money all over the place if he even had the money at all.... Then again, Tanny has a new Job....

Bottom line - We expect better and it looks like all the GM interviews are with ppl from Scouting backgrounds!!!!

Also.... 2 years ago, I was "On the ledge".... IMO The Jets are in a much better place today. Make the right moves right here and now and IMO this team competes....

I'll always miss Rex tho...

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about "building through the draft" is that it's basically code for "draft a good QB and watch your other mistakes disappear." The fact that Idzik drafted a QB and decided that he could enter his 2nd year with Brian Winters starting at LG with no competition, and have David Nelson as a starting WR is, to me, professional malpractice.

On a side note, Kyle Shanahan's leaving the Browns. I'd love to see him here as the OC.

The thing about "building through the draft" is that it's basically code for "draft a good QB and watch your other mistakes disappear." The fact that Idzik drafted a QB and decided that he could enter his 2nd year with Brian Winters starting at LG with no competition, and have David Nelson as a starting WR is, to me, professional malpractice.

On a side note, Kyle Shanahan's leaving the Browns. I'd love to see him here as the OC.
Per the reports Dan Quinn wants Kyle as his OC if he lands a HC job somewhere.

QB is one thing...I look at Building thru the draft as nailing a lot of good talent.... Good enough to carry a team as a QB develops... SEA Drafted well while still taking swipes at QB which allowed Wilson to play a role at 1st on a team that could run the ball, protect the QB and play lights out D.

We all agree Idzik could have done a lot better - Heck, No way in Hell do I start Geno, as much as I loved the pick.. He sits on my team most of year 1 unless he's absolutely Killing it... That was "my plan" - I would have signed Brady Quinn before letting Geno start with that Crap offense!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's NOT how you develop a Project QB.

Lets move on..... IMO we should even start a New thread after we get Quinn / Shanahan on board ;)

Turn the Page!

Users who are viewing this thread