What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets disaster (1 Viewer)

Thx? MA will do :)Lol I'm getting messages in the jets thread now? Sure sign I need to slow down a bit (unless they hire Hue)-QG

yeah the Westhoff comments hurt - hes a guy that has been around a long time and I respect....Rex has completely bamboozled Woody who is turning into a much worse Leon Hess before our eyes.....

dear God.....Appearing on FOX NFL Sunday, Jay Glazer said the Jets "can't give the position away" when talking about their general manager vacancy."They're calling back candidates who already turned them down," added Glazer. "Their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off." One of those candidates could be 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, who was once considered the odds-on-favorite for the job but may have spurned the Jets. ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned earlier on Sunday that ex-Bears GM Jerry Angelo is a "name to watch."

dear God.....Appearing on FOX NFL Sunday, Jay Glazer said the Jets "can't give the position away" when talking about their general manager vacancy."They're calling back candidates who already turned them down," added Glazer. "Their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off." One of those candidates could be 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, who was once considered the odds-on-favorite for the job but may have spurned the Jets. ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned earlier on Sunday that ex-Bears GM Jerry Angelo is a "name to watch."
Ill take the job :shrug:

dear God.....Appearing on FOX NFL Sunday, Jay Glazer said the Jets "can't give the position away" when talking about their general manager vacancy."They're calling back candidates who already turned them down,"
Ouch.
when Jerry Angelo is a "name to watch" the wheels have fallen off!
Similar to Cam Cameron in the OC search?http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8842981/cam-cameron-interviews-new-york-jets-oc-job-sources

While I do think Ryan is a very good (defensive) coach and a smart football mind on that side of the ball, what's most frustrating about this whole situation is by not letting him go with the rest of the trash, the Jets are seriously handicapping their franchise. On top of their salary cap hell, no serious canidate is going to take this job with Ryan apparently riding in the shotgun seat. With Ryan looking to protect his own hide, and being involved in personnel decisions, what is really the best course for this franchise; blowing up the team and sacrificing the 2013 isn't going to happen under his watch. The team needs a real football guy to come in and start the rebuilding process, instead we'll get band-aid type solutions for this season and either continue down that path under Ryan for years of mediocrity - or start all over again in 2014 or 2015 instead, already way behind in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I do think Ryan is a very good (defensive) coach and a smart football mind on that side of the ball, what's most frustrating about this whole situation is by not letting him go with the rest of the trash, the Jets are seriously handicapping their franchise. On top of their salary cap hell, no serious canidate is going to take this job with Ryan apparently riding in the shotgun seat. With Ryan looking to protect his own hide, and being involved in personnel decisions, what is really the best course for this franchise; blowing up the team and sacrificing the 2013 isn't going to happen under his watch. The team needs a real football guy to come in and start the rebuilding process, instead we'll get band-aid type solutions for this season and either continue down that path under Ryan for years of mediocrity - or start all over again in 2014 or 2015 instead, already way behind in the process.
Agreed - What Woody has done is set the franchise back big time....the team is not going to land any premiere GM or assistant coaches with Rex as the face of the franchise. It just doesnt work that way....he's running the show yet another disasterous season and he could be gone...what kind of stability is that? 2014 is the light at the end of the tunnel for the Jets - yet Rex will absolutely sacrifice it to make a run at the playoffs in 2013...that can not be allowed. Everyday fans can see this but Woody does not. Its an awful time to be a Jet fan.

While I do think Ryan is a very good (defensive) coach and a smart football mind on that side of the ball, what's most frustrating about this whole situation is by not letting him go with the rest of the trash, the Jets are seriously handicapping their franchise. On top of their salary cap hell, no serious canidate is going to take this job with Ryan apparently riding in the shotgun seat.

With Ryan looking to protect his own hide, and being involved in personnel decisions, what is really the best course for this franchise; blowing up the team and sacrificing the 2013 isn't going to happen under his watch. The team needs a real football guy to come in and start the rebuilding process, instead we'll get band-aid type solutions for this season and either continue down that path under Ryan for years of mediocrity - or start all over again in 2014 or 2015 instead, already way behind in the process.
Agreed - What Woody has done is set the franchise back big time....the team is not going to land any premiere GM or assistant coaches with Rex as the face of the franchise. It just doesnt work that way....he's running the show yet another disasterous season and he could be gone...what kind of stability is that? 2014 is the light at the end of the tunnel for the Jets - yet Rex will absolutely sacrifice it to make a run at the playoffs in 2013...that can not be allowed. Everyday fans can see this but Woody does not. Its an awful time to be a Jet fan.
The trouble is, there's likely no one in place with authority to stop him. Agree with your last statement - it's hard to root for them anymore, but its harder to stop.

Lol. Everyone but the Jets knows they should've fired Rex.
I'm pretty sure all these fair weather jets fans were drinkin' the kool-aid in rex's first few years.I'm noting a trend in some of these team threads -- only this one got a jump on it a couple months ago.
I still think Ryan is a good coach and I don't mind that he was retained when looked upon purely from the standpoint of his merits. The problem however is giving him "complete control" and thus sacrificing the ability to obtain a prime GM canidate. Given the state of the team, my preference would be to get a GM first and let him decide what to do with Rex - not mandate that he stays, thus eliminating any respectable canidate.Wouldn't a "fair weather fan" abandon this hot mess that the team is now?

I'm pretty sure all these fair weather jets fans were drinkin' the kool-aid in rex's first few years.I'm noting a trend in some of these team threads -- only this one got a jump on it a couple months ago.
I still think Ryan is a good coach and I don't mind that he was retained when looked upon purely from the standpoint of his merits. The problem however is giving him "complete control" and thus sacrificing the ability to obtain a prime GM canidate. Given the state of the team, my preference would be to get a GM first and let him decide what to do with Rex - not mandate that he stays, thus eliminating any respectable canidate.

Wouldn't a "fair weather fan" abandon this hot mess that the team is now?
Where has this ever been stated? I'll save you the time in looking because it wasn't but it's a misconception that continues to be perpetuated over and over again.

Middle of January and the Jets haven't hired anyone, wow. At this point I would consider the job a win/win for some young hot shot to get in the GM position and try to fix it. The Jets and media have destroyed Mike Tannenbaum to the point where it looks like it'll be years before their cap woes are fixed. If someone does step up to the challenge and get them out of the deeps of hell (ala stop trading picks away for players and acquire more picks / build though the draft) they will look like a hero. Unless they make the playoffs the next fall guy is Rex.Is AJ Smith available?

I still think Ryan is a good coach and I don't mind that he was retained when looked upon purely from the standpoint of his merits. The problem however is giving him "complete control" and thus sacrificing the ability to obtain a prime GM canidate. Given the state of the team, my preference would be to get a GM first and let him decide what to do with Rex - not mandate that he stays, thus eliminating any respectable canidate.Wouldn't a "fair weather fan" abandon this hot mess that the team is now?
I guess a fair weather fan probably would've ditched 30 yrs ago.but that fan was back on the rex bandwagon when he was having some success the last few years.now, these same fans want him canned.

I guess a fair weather fan probably would've ditched 30 yrs ago.but that fan was back on the rex bandwagon when he was having some success the last few years.now, these same fans want him canned.
I was against his hiring (and can prove it via posts on a Jets forum in Dec 2008 and January 2009). You could see it during games and interviews. The guy is nuts. He is too defense-oriented and a cheerleader and friend for his players. I just could not see this guy becoming a top head coach. The apple did not fall far from the tree. He would be just like his father as a head coach. Maybe there would be a decent run with the Eric Mangini core. I was Francesa-like as to my thoughts on the 2009 season. I was somewhat pleased with 2010, but the goal is to win the Super Bowl and I expected Ryan to have a couple 10-6 type seasons. This clown show has run its course. It will get worse until Ryan is gone.

I still think Ryan is a good coach and I don't mind that he was retained when looked upon purely from the standpoint of his merits. The problem however is giving him "complete control" and thus sacrificing the ability to obtain a prime GM canidate. Given the state of the team, my preference would be to get a GM first and let him decide what to do with Rex - not mandate that he stays, thus eliminating any respectable canidate.

Where has this ever been stated? I'll save you the time in looking because it wasn't but it's a misconception that continues to be perpetuated over and over again.
The first part is speculative/implied, yes (which is why it is in quotations). The second part has been established. Rex' involvement in the GM search (an employee allowed input of who his new boss should be?) and the mandate that he must be kept, emasculates the new GM right from the start which eliminates any legit canidate.

Rex being involved in the hiring of the GM (I believe Woody said he wanted Rex "right beside him", or something along those lines) absolutely and heavily implies he has complete control of the team.

Middle of January and the Jets haven't hired anyone, wow. At this point I would consider the job a win/win for some young hot shot to get in the GM position and try to fix it. The Jets and media have destroyed Mike Tannenbaum to the point where it looks like it'll be years before their cap woes are fixed. If someone does step up to the challenge and get them out of the deeps of hell (ala stop trading picks away for players and acquire more picks / build though the draft) they will look like a hero. Unless they make the playoffs the next fall guy is Rex.Is AJ Smith available?
On the flip side, what young hot shot GM wants to be put in a position to fail during their first big break?What I do agree with you on is the cap situation is not as bad as it seems if it is handled smartly - meaning that 2013 is viewed as the year that the bad contracts (Sanchez, Holmes, etc.) are allowed to die and that there's no need for foolish measures to try and "quick fix" the cap for 2013.My fear is that with Rex heavily involved and knowing he may not survive another down season, he'll go for the quick fix hurting the team's chances for 2014.

I initially thought he was a clown, but you have to give the guy credit for what he's done.he set up shop in the patriots house and pretty much took it to them.If I remember right, they were basically .500 in his first year, and got lucky to even get to the playoffs, and I pegged them at around a .500 caliber team after that, but the guy got them to the afccg 2 years straight, and ran over the pats in the process -- I actually have some respect for the guy, now.it's pretty easy to pile on in a season when he loses revis and holmes.all teams have injuries, but the way ownership and management put this team together I don't think they're in much of a position to take a couple hits.it seems to me that ownership is more about signing names to sell psl's, or luxury boxes, or wtf they're trying to sell over there, than winning games, and I can't fault rex for that.I think he's still kind of a clown, and I think that overly emotional approach can lead to inconsistency, but you guys could have it a lot worse.apparently, they're pretty much stuck with sanchez, but I'd give rex another season to show he's not just a dc.

The first part is speculative/implied, yes (which is why it is in quotations). The second part has been established. Rex' involvement and the mandate that he must be kept, emasculates the new GM right from the start which eliminates any legit canidate.
You lost me after the first part - that is categorically a false statement so why speculate/imply at all?Here is what Woody Johnson said exactly (Statement on GM )

On if the new general manager will have the final say on all personnel decisions…

JOHNSON: Yes, that’s the way we’ve done it, but it’s always been a collaborative process. Yes, (Coach) Rex (Ryan) picks coaches and the general manager picks players in the draft.

Regarding the second part - again conjecture on your part that the retention of Rex emasculates the new GM - there are numerous instances where new GM's were hired and had to keep an existing coach (and who also had considerable success by doing so). I guess Jerry Reese and Kevin Colbert weren't legit or respectable GM candidates since they were forced to retain an existing coach.

The first part is speculative/implied, yes (which is why it is in quotations). The second part has been established. Rex' involvement and the mandate that he must be kept, emasculates the new GM right from the start which eliminates any legit canidate.
You lost me after the first part - that is categorically a false statement so why speculate/imply at all?Here is what Woody Johnson said exactly (Statement on GM )

On if the new general manager will have the final say on all personnel decisions…

JOHNSON: Yes, that’s the way we’ve done it, but it’s always been a collaborative process. Yes, (Coach) Rex (Ryan) picks coaches and the general manager picks players in the draft.

Regarding the second part - again conjecture on your part that the retention of Rex emasculates the new GM - there are numerous instances where new GM's were hired and had to keep an existing coach (and who also had considerable success by doing so). I guess Jerry Reese and Kevin Colbert weren't legit or respectable GM candidates since they were forced to retain an existing coach.
Reese was already in the organization.I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic, but I do beleive my concerns are legit. I said that I do like Rex as a coach, and on his merits I'm not sure he deserves to be fired. My preference would be that the team hires a smart football man and let him decide Rex's fate.

They were very interested in Caldwell, to the point they started drafting contract language, who chose the Jacksonville instead. The first thing he did was fire Mularkey, and the pair worked together in Atlanta. Personally I think a structure where the GM has control of the coaches and players (perhaps the HC gets some input) works better.

Woody can pay lip service to the new GM having final say on all personnel decisions, but sometimes actions speak louder than words. That press conference sent a lot of mixed messages. Do you really have confiendence in the team handling this process correctly after what you saw preceding the press conference and during it?

Rex being involved in the hiring of the GM (I believe Woody said he wanted Rex "right beside him", or something along those lines) absolutely and heavily implies he has complete control of the team.
Every existing coach is involved with the hiring of a new GM - this isn't new or unique to the Jets nor do it imply that by doing so the coach has complete control of the team. That may be something that you are inferring but it is definitely not implied.

On if the new general manager will have the final say on all personnel decisions…JOHNSON: Yes, that’s the way we’ve done it, but it’s always been a collaborative process. Yes, (Coach) Rex (Ryan) picks coaches and the general manager picks players in the draft.
He also said Rex would have input on the new GM. Does that seem backwards to you?

Reese was already in the organization.I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic, but I do beleive my concerns are legit. I said that I do like Rex as a coach, and on his merits I'm not sure he deserves to be fired. My preference would be that the team hires a smart football man and let him decide Rex's fate.

They were very interested in Caldwell, to the point they started drafting contract language, who chose the Jacksonville instead. The first thing he did was fire Mularkey, and the pair worked together in Atlanta. Personally I think a structure where the GM has control of the coaches and players (perhaps the HC gets some input) works better.

Woody can pay lip service to the new GM having final say on all personnel decisions, but sometimes actions speak louder than words. That press conference sent a lot of mixed messages. Do you really have confiendence in the team handling this process correctly after what you saw preceding the press conference and during it?
Fair enough. I may be too far on the opposite end (from an overly optimistic perspective).Regarding the bolded - I'll have to trust them at there word - what else can we do at this point? They are closer to the situation than you, I or anyone else posting on this site. It's not like the Jets have had back to back to back to back losing seasons these past four years. The Jets had the 13th most wins in the league over these past four years with 34 - it's not like we have been performing like some other teams in the league (the Jets doubled the Rams win total during this same time period). Are the Jets perfect? Far from it but neither is any team. You can point to specific examples of why the Jets finished with a losing record this year (i.e. injuries to key offensive and defensive players, regression of the QB play which may or may not have been impacted by the key injuries, etc) but right up until the end of the season, they were still in the playoff hunt.

On if the new general manager will have the final say on all personnel decisions…JOHNSON: Yes, that’s the way we’ve done it, but it’s always been a collaborative process. Yes, (Coach) Rex (Ryan) picks coaches and the general manager picks players in the draft.
He also said Rex would have input on the new GM. Does that seem backwards to you?
Not at all. I'm sure he's going to be getting input and feedback from a large number of sources on the matter. Now if he said Rex was going to be the only one providing input on the GM selection, that would be a different story but he didn't.

Fair enough. I may be too far on the opposite end (from an overly optimistic perspective).Regarding the bolded - I'll have to trust them at there word - what else can we do at this point? They are closer to the situation than you, I or anyone else posting on this site. It's not like the Jets have had back to back to back to back losing seasons these past four years. The Jets had the 13th most wins in the league over these past four years with 34 - it's not like we have been performing like some other teams in the league (the Jets doubled the Rams win total during this same time period). Are the Jets perfect? Far from it but neither is any team. You can point to specific examples of why the Jets finished with a losing record this year (i.e. injuries to key offensive and defensive players, regression of the QB play which may or may not have been impacted by the key injuries, etc) but right up until the end of the season, they were still in the playoff hunt.
I've always found it funny that other NFL fans trash the Jets so badly and act as if they are the most incompetant franchise in the league. Since the mid to late 90s they've actually had much more success than failure and have been in the playoffs as much or more than any other AFC team outside of the obvious Patriots, Steelers and Colts teams.Right now there are a lot of bad franchises in the league, and while the Jets atmosphere is circus like at times, they seem to some how rise abive yet when you least expect it - so hopefully they surprise me and are right back in the mix. Its just that I think they'd be better served looking at 2013 as the year to let the rebuilding begin by letting the team bottom out first - which Ryan may not let happen given his circumstances.

I've always found it funny that other NFL fans trash the Jets so badly and act as if they are the most incompetant franchise in the league. Since the mid to late 90s they've actually had much more success than failure and have been in the playoffs as much or more than any other AFC team outside of the obvious Patriots, Steelers and Colts teams.Right now there are a lot of bad franchises in the league, and while the Jets atmosphere is circus like at times, they seem to some how rise abive yet when you least expect it - so hopefully they surprise me and are right back in the mix. Its just that I think they'd be better served looking at 2013 as the year to let the rebuilding begin by letting the team bottom out first - which Ryan may not let happen given his circumstances.
Let's hope you're right. :hifive:

The New York Post reports Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Jets' GM vacancy.It's unclear why Ross pulled out of the Jets' search, but it's quite clear there's something pushing candidates away from Gang Green. Ross was a finalist for the Panthers' GM job, but was beaten out by fellow Giants' front-office man Dave Gettleman. Ross will remain with the Giants as perhaps GM Jerry Reese's top assistant. The Jets, meanwhile, will continue to search high and low for someone willing to take on their cap issues and Mark Sanchez.

The New York Post reports Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Jets' GM vacancy.It's unclear why Ross pulled out of the Jets' search, but it's quite clear there's something pushing candidates away from Gang Green. Ross was a finalist for the Panthers' GM job, but was beaten out by fellow Giants' front-office man Dave Gettleman. Ross will remain with the Giants as perhaps GM Jerry Reese's top assistant. The Jets, meanwhile, will continue to search high and low for someone willing to take on their cap issues and Mark Sanchez.
I'm not buying the NY media BS - they have nothing else to write so every day they write some other snarky piece on why the Jets haven't hired anyone yet...In my world the Jets let go of an accountant pretending to be a GM and have a very reputable firm doing an extensive search that includes guys like Ted Sundquist who supposedly WANT the job - Look at that guys resume, his web site, his youtube vids - IMO that guy ROCKS...So, there are great candidates that want the job - NYJ are just doing their homework - Snarky beatwriters with nothing better to do aren't going to ruin my offseason which I stated at the start equalled the Playoffs for me once the Accountant was fired!!!!I spent some good time yesterday reading Ted Sundquist's stuff and opinions even early on re: Tebow/Sanchez, Hiring a GM/HC and scouting. Football Educator While the media continues the ole "Jets circus" routine, the more I dig into some of these GM candidates that are said to want the job, the more I'm blown away...Here's some other names GM listI also like Jim Popp's reume and Idzik from Seattle....hearing good things about Gaine even though he's from Miami...If it were me, Sundquist wouldn't leave my office without a deal - I'm pretty confident he wants the job - I've seen his agent tweeting stuff.

:goodposting: It's the fact that the NY media has like 30 Beat writers that need to sell papers and get headlines EVERY DAY....You think if this bunch of beat writers all moved down to Jax and covered that team they wouldn't find some Circus to blow up? Or Cleveland, or Oak or Cincy or ANYWHERE?Love this video of the Beat writer RATS chasinf Sparano...MEDIOTS

Also FYI - Lacanafora Just said Jets GM search should be wrapped up by Tomorrow...I'm hoping For Sundquist.

:goodposting: It's the fact that the NY media has like 30 Beat writers that need to sell papers and get headlines EVERY DAY....You think if this bunch of beat writers all moved down to Jax and covered that team they wouldn't find some Circus to blow up? Or Cleveland, or Oak or Cincy or ANYWHERE?Love this video of the Beat writer RATS chasinf Sparano...MEDIOTS
I do agree with this....the leak (Petitine) is gone - with no more inside leaks the media is forced to speculate.....they have no idea at this point so the easy story is to assume that Ross hates the Jets...maybe he knew he wasnt getting the job and he pulled his name to save face. I understand that Rex created the circus atmosphere and he has to reap what he sows but chasing the guy to the Bahamas, the tattoo story, huge assumptions made durign the GM search is really too far.

looks like the GM job will be offered to Idzik - some bio infoJohn Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings."Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001 Doesnt strike me as a personnel expert - more of a cap guy but he does have more personnel experience than Tanny....I like that he is from a winning organization that found a QB....lets see if he takes it.

looks like the GM job will be offered to Idzik - some bio info

John Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings."

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001

Doesnt strike me as a personnel expert - more of a cap guy but he does have more personnel experience than Tanny....I like that he is from a winning organization that found a QB....lets see if he takes it.
Funny, already the local Mediots are running with the as Brian Costello puts it "Similar Background as Tanny"

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!! Tanny was a football idiot.

This guy grew up Football, Played Football COACHED football, Scouted Football and has worked on Mgt and personell for years - Tannenbaum was a freaking accountant.

Here's a good article from a blogger:

Jets - Idzik

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about candidate John Idzik and his qualifications for the Jets’ general manager job so lets try and break down what we know as best as we can…

Obviously what stands out about Idzik is his most recent venture with the Seattle Seahawks. Idzik joined Seattle in 2007 and has served as their vice president of football administration. His daily responsibilities include managing the team’s salary cap and personnel transactions, taking part in negotiations, and partaking in player evaluations. Per Field Gulls, SB Nation’s blog dedicated to covering the Seahawks, Albert Breer stated that his function as a talent evaluator was indeed true and that Seattle had been utilizing him in that role more and more recently.

Prior his gig in Seattle, Idzik was tabbed as the Arizona Cardinals’ senior director of football operations, a position that is highlighted by evaluating talent…just ask Tom Telesco who left the same position with the Colts and was a part of Indianapolis’ drafts since 1998 in varying capacities. As you know by now, the Cardinals went on their Super Bowl run in Idzik’s final year with the team. However, before his Arizona days, he spent 11 seasons in Tampa Bay. He started out as a Pro Personnel assistant before being promoted as the director of football administration in 1996. He served as assistant general manager for three years which coincided with the Buccaneers’ Super Bowl bid.

A further look back reveals that Idzik is no stranger to the football fields having served a graduate assistant at his alma mater (Duke) working with the offensive line and running backs and had a brief stint offensive backfield coach with the Aberdeen Oilers and spent a year as the receivers coach at the State University of N.Y. (Buffalo) in 1982. Idzik grew up around football as his father, John Sr., served as a coach in multiple leagues for years including here in New York as the offensive coordinator from 1976 to 1979. The junior Idzik also played wide receiver at Dartmouth while earning his bachelor’s degree in mathematics. He later earned his master’s degree in liberal studies at Duke.

Eric Weeks, theJetsBlog.com

Yes, it is true, Idzik does have experience with the salary cap however, he didn’t fall off the wagon yesterday and is well-versed in personnel matters. He also is likely to bring with him a valuable asset to the Jets in Jack Mula who will help construct a game plan for the franchise’s future. The significance of this name is undoubtedly lost on many of you as it was me until I found out that Mula was one of the main architects that crafted the Patriots teams that won three Super Bowls as Chris Gross of Turn On The Jets astutely pointed out here, here and here.

Do we expect all of the Jets’ problems to be cured all at once? No. But based on Idzik’s background, should he be hired, you’re not getting another “cap guy” or an “idiot” or “Mike Tannenbaum 2.0″. In fact, I’d wager to say he’s the furthest thing from Trader Mike. Unlike Idzik, Tannenbaum didn’t play football, he didn’t coach at any level, and aside from his early post-college years as an intern where he worked in the personnel departments of the Saints and Browns, he was always in an executive role dealing with the salary cap and player contracts. So forgive me if the comparisons between the two don’t hold weight in my eyes but I’m seeing two completely different people with vastly different backgrounds.

Hey, I'm no Green Colored Homer Lackey - Remember I was the guy out on the ledge the past 2 years!!!!!!But, the picture painted by the media this offseason and what I see is again polar opposites...While the media was talking Leadership, Circuses and Tebow, I was talking TALENT AND NEW GM..... Now, I'm getting what I wanted and the media still spins it...To me..... This whole process has been AWESOME..From hiring one of the most repsected firms in the business to take over a search INSTEAD of hiring another Parcells Toad like the media would probably slurp up....To taking their time turning ocver every stone... and even a week after the media runs with it's BS "no one even wants the job BS" ... to still coming up with names that really blew me away when you reseach them. These Beat writers are no better than any of us and we're out of this loop - their articles are no better than the bloggers on this as they reached for stories and admit to reading up on web sites....To me this whole process was professional and done the right way....As much as I liked Sundquist - just knowing that they kicked every tire and had such great interviews with a diverse group makes me optomistic....Bottom Line- Screw the media - I'll sit back the next few days and just laugh at the way they twist this whole thing...But, to me, it's a new begining with a Guy who is literally a Genius and has lived FOOTBALL his whole life... This guy had more Football knowledge than Tannenbaum by the time he was 15!!!! No Joke!!!! Just because he graduated Magna Cum laude from Dartmouth with a Math degree -Don't compare him to the freaking guy who whould have been working at HR Block the past 20 years!!!!! Now Kill the draft and let's GO!!!!

Oh... And I'd also like to Praise the Jets in this search for keeping the media out of the loop and floundering to make up their Bull crap.Hopefully that's also a new leaf - how to deal with the 100 mediots.

Hey, I'm no Green Colored Homer Lackey - Remember I was the guy out on the ledge the past 2 years!!!!!!But, the picture painted by the media this offseason and what I see is again polar opposites...While the media was talking Leadership, Circuses and Tebow, I was talking TALENT AND NEW GM..... Now, I'm getting what I wanted and the media still spins it...To me..... This whole process has been AWESOME..From hiring one of the most repsected firms in the business to take over a search INSTEAD of hiring another Parcells Toad like the media would probably slurp up....To taking their time turning ocver every stone... and even a week after the media runs with it's BS "no one even wants the job BS" ... to still coming up with names that really blew me away when you reseach them. These Beat writers are no better than any of us and we're out of this loop - their articles are no better than the bloggers on this as they reached for stories and admit to reading up on web sites....To me this whole process was professional and done the right way....As much as I liked Sundquist - just knowing that they kicked every tire and had such great interviews with a diverse group makes me optomistic....Bottom Line- Screw the media - I'll sit back the next few days and just laugh at the way they twist this whole thing...But, to me, it's a new begining with a Guy who is literally a Genius and has lived FOOTBALL his whole life... This guy had more Football knowledge than Tannenbaum by the time he was 15!!!! No Joke!!!! Just because he graduated Magna Cum laude from Dartmouth with a Math degree -Don't compare him to the freaking guy who whould have been working at HR Block the past 20 years!!!!! Now Kill the draft and let's GO!!!!
I think this would be a very good hire and hopefully this guys comes in with the authority to run things his way. He's the best of both worlds as a cap expert with a talent evaluation background as well.I still wish, that he could come in and pick his own HC (maybe he'd even back Rex), because my fear is that Rex gets canned after this season and then the team has to start from scratch again with a new offense and defensive system, rather than get the jump now.The salary cap picture is not great (in fact it's pretty bad), but it's also not the absolute hell that it's portrayed to be. They have a ton of guys that have big contracts but can be cut with no cap hits like Jason Smith, Erik Smith, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace and others. Of course that leaves to roster even thinner, but the team is going to be bad with those guys anyway so sucking it up this season while letting the guaranteed portions of Sanchez and Holmes' contracts die is a good thing long term.There will be some good players at the No. 9 spot this year - so as you said let's do this right and not look to make a splash, let's look to make good football decisions.

Oh... And I'd also like to Praise the Jets in this search for keeping the media out of the loop and floundering to make up their Bull crap.Hopefully that's also a new leaf - how to deal with the 100 mediots.
i agree, nyj have done a nice job here, hopefully they can seal the deal..theyve done a nice thoro job and actually used the search firm to the fullest.i have no qualms with the search and hope the org can turn a new leaf.the media has been exposed... let 'em stew...

One thing I LOVE about a thorough interview process and the ppl brought in is that for good or Bad - Woody gets taken to school by football ppl and the team gets to hear a lot of different perspectives on what they have done wrong and what it takes to fix it.....If this team just went out and hired the next Parcells turd after one day The Press would have alot less to be Snarky about But, the team would lose out on what to me is a tremendous oppurtunity to hear the truth about your team from some great football minds......if it were me, I'd interview 25 people and take all the time I wanted - I really don't think Woody and Jed Hughes gave a #### that the media was getting antsy and making up BS stories about ppl not wanting the job....

the media was getting antsy and making up BS stories about ppl not wanting the job....
To be fair, it does seem that there were canidates that didn't want the job (if what was reported about them withdrawing their names was true). Some GMs don't want to be told they must keep the head coach in place and some may have been turned off by the cap situation. In the case of the latter, I wouldn't want one of them anyway.

Jets hire John Idzik as GM and Marty Mornhinweg as OC. I'm willing to give both of them some time to see what they can do, but realistically, there's not much any OC could do with the offensive talent currently on the roster.

Users who are viewing this thread