What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets @ Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win?

• Jets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steelers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cracKer

Shawn Culcasi
Can Roethlisberger keep his streak alive? Is Curtis Martin washed up? Does Eric Barton even make it to Pittsburgh?

their points scored & allowed.

----------

Jets (18th offense, 3rd defense) = 18+3 = 21

Steelers (10th offense, 2nd defense) 10+2 = 12

Translation: Steelers have the edge here.

Offensive/Defensive Efficienies:

-----------

O:Jets 5258 yards, 304 points = 17.30

D:Jets 4399 yards, 229 points = 19.21

O:Steelers 5157 yards, 343 points = 15.03

D:Steelers 3867 yards, 227 points = 17.04

Translation: A split decision here. The Steelers have a better of two offenses, neither of which are outstanding. The Jets are better defensively.

----------

Ints-Ints Thrown

----------

Jets 17-11 = +6

Steelers 18-11 = +7

Basically identical here.

I'm on the fence about this one as well. Ben Roethlisberger is coming off injury and is struggling. The Jets defense did a fine job knocking out the Chargers.

Pick: Steelers (altho if given a betting line I'd probably take the Jets and the points)

I see BGP is here.Prediction : BGP will say that Cowher is a lousy coach and says the Jets win easily.Edited to add : I was wrong - a tepid Steelers pick. Wonders may never cease. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I see BGP is here.Prediction : BGP will say that Cowher is a lousy coach and says the Jets win easily.Edited to add : I was wrong - a tepid Steelers pick. Wonders may never cease. :D
I think the Steelers are a weak 15-1 club. Very overrated. I do not believe they can navigate this playoff field and win the super bowl. I'll pick them to win over the Jets, however.

I think the Steelers are a weak 15-1 club. Very overrated. I do not believe they can navigate this playoff field and win the super bowl. I'll pick them to win over the Jets, however.
Overrated? :confused: You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but here are some facts :1) The Steelers are the first team in AFC history to win 15 games (second best all time behind the '72 Dolphins)2) The AFC this year is arguably the best it's ever been3) Of all 12 teams in the playoffs, the Steelers faced the toughest schedule (based on aggregate record of all opponents) and had the best record4) The three teams that they are most likely to face in their quest for the Super Bowl (Jets, Patriots, Eagles) - each have been beaten by Pittsburgh this year (by an average of over 16 points)5) The Steelers probably have the best depth of any team still standingDespite all this, the Patriots are still the Vegas favorite to win the AFC. So I am wondering exactly how Pittsburgh is overrated............

I see BGP is here.Prediction : BGP will say that Cowher is a lousy coach and says the Jets win easily.Edited to add : I was wrong - a tepid Steelers pick.  Wonders may never cease.  :D
Overrated? :confused: You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but here are some facts :1) The Steelers are the first team in AFC history to win 15 games (second best all time behind the '72 Dolphins)2) The AFC this year is arguably the best it's ever been3) Of all 12 teams in the playoffs, the Steelers faced the toughest schedule (based on aggregate record of all opponents) and had the best record4) The three teams that they are most likely to face in their quest for the Super Bowl (Jets, Patriots, Eagles) - each have been beaten by Pittsburgh this year (by an average of over 16 points)5) The Steelers probably have the best depth of any team still standingDespite all this, the Patriots are still the Vegas favorite to win the AFC. So I am wondering exactly how Pittsburgh is overrated............
If I'm not mistaken, the Jets have the best opposing record, not the Steelers.And for what it's worth, I see no reason to change my sig anytime soon. You guys deserve to be heavy favorites in this one.

Jets have had a great season and exceeded all expectations, but the Steelers should win this game easily. Their defense will carry them.

I see BGP is here.Prediction : BGP will say that Cowher is a lousy coach and says the Jets win easily.Edited to add : I was wrong - a tepid Steelers pick.  Wonders may never cease.   :D
If I'm not mistaken, the Jets have the best opposing record, not the Steelers.And for what it's worth, I see no reason to change my sig anytime soon. You guys deserve to be heavy favorites in this one.
I should have said best record by teams they have BEATEN, not teams they have played. Sorry to be unclear there.I suspect the Steelers will be favored by about a TD, which seems right to me. Should be a close, hard-hitting game.

I suspect the Steelers will be favored by about a TD, which seems right to me. Should be a close, hard-hitting game.
line opened at 8.5 and early money pushed it up to 9 at one of my books

Much of this game hinges on Abraham. If Abraham plays, we will see a much closer game than most think. If not, the Jets will need a lot of big plays and turnovers to stay in it.As good as Big Ben is, I'm not quite sure he has exactly what it takes as a rookie to lead the Steelers out of the AFC and to a Superbowl. He was due for a letdown game at some point in the season, and while it never came in the regular season, I think the playoffs is where it will happen.I'm going to predict a monster upset - Ben comes back down to earth for a few minutes next Saturday, throws a few picks, and Abraham and the Jets win a close one 20-17.

----------

-----------

Translation: A split decision here. The Steelers have a better of two offenses, neither of which are outstanding. The Jets are better defensively.

----------

Ints-Ints Thrown

----------

Jets 17-11 = +6

Steelers 18-11 = +7

I'm on the fence about this one as well. Ben Roethlisberger is coming off injury and is struggling. The Jets defense did a fine job knocking out the Chargers.

Pick: Steelers (altho if given a betting line I'd probably take the Jets and the points)
Its no wonder you follow the Browns, because it is obvious by a lot of your posts that you don't have a clue about football. Steelers have the best defense in football yet you give the edge to the Jets? Steelers offense is not outstanding, yet no one has been able to stop them for almost 4 months?

Herm got lucky last game when his bad coaching didn't lose the game. This game against the Steelers won't be so forgiving.

A weak 15-1 team? I just have to chuckle at that statement. I guess that means the 2004 Steelers are weak compared to the 1984 49ers, 1985 Bears and the 1999? Vikings. By the way, the 1984 49ers lost their only game that year to the Steelers-who lost the AFC Championship that year to the Dolphins-who handed the 1985 Bears their only loss that season. I think Ben will be ok. An early interception will not bother him, at least it has not during the regular season. For all the talk of how the Jets need Abraham... I thought the Steelers were in trouble when they lost Casey Hampton for the season... but guess what? The Steelers beat the Patriots and Eagles in consecutive weeks, they ran the table and even beat the Bills with their B team. Anything can happen (I though all 4 home teams would win the wildcard games & I thought there was no way the 2001 Patriots would beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship) but if you're pick'n the Jets over Pittsburgh next week you better not be betting the farm.

I'd jump all over 9 points and the Jets. The Jets' defense keeps them in most games. Most of the losses were within that number. They did lose to the Steelers by 11, however, I still would have to play the odds and take the points.

----------

-----------

----------

Ints-Ints Thrown

----------

Jets 17-11 = +6

Steelers 18-11 = +7

Its no wonder you follow the Browns, because it is obvious by a lot of your posts that you don't have a clue about football. Steelers have the best defense in football yet you give the edge to the Jets? Steelers offense is not outstanding, yet no one has been able to stop them for almost 4 months?
That is some stinky bait. Go away.

A weak 15-1 team? I just have to chuckle at that statement. I guess that means the 2004 Steelers are weak compared to the 1984 49ers, 1985 Bears and the 1999? Vikings. By the way, the 1984 49ers lost their only game that year to the Steelers-who lost the AFC Championship that year to the Dolphins-who handed the 1985 Bears their only loss that season. I think Ben will be ok. An early interception will not bother him, at least it has not during the regular season. For all the talk of how the Jets need Abraham... I thought the Steelers were in trouble when they lost Casey Hampton for the season... but guess what? The Steelers beat the Patriots and Eagles in consecutive weeks, they ran the table and even beat the Bills with their B team. Anything can happen (I though all 4 home teams would win the wildcard games & I thought there was no way the 2001 Patriots would beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship) but if you're pick'n the Jets over Pittsburgh next week you better not be betting the farm.
I said I picked the Steelers to win.But if I'm getting 9 points I take the Jets.

I see BGP is here.Prediction : BGP will say that Cowher is a lousy coach and says the Jets win easily.Edited to add : I was wrong - a tepid Steelers pick.  Wonders may never cease.  :D
Weakest 15-1 team in the history of the AFC. :thumbup: Seriously, even admitting they are 15-1 is a major accomplishment from that source.

I said I picked the Steelers to win.But if I'm getting 9 points I take the Jets.
I'd probably take the Jets and 9 points too. It's Steelers tradition to play ball control and kill the clock, not kill the opponent by running up the score. It would be interesting to see if the Steelers did try to run up the score against teams. I wonder what the Steelers run vs. pass numbers are by quarters. It would not suprise me if the Steelers run the ball 7 times to each pass in the 4th quarter.

Every 15-1 team has at least made it to their conference title game. They record should be intact. However, I think either the Colts or the Patriots will beat them there.

I will say one thing.The Steelers absolutely do NOT have the best defense in football.Their defensive numbers are inflated by a very good running game. That translates into fewer opportunities for opposing offensives. The running game in turn has benefitted from strong play by Roethlisberger. However, Roethlisberger hasn't been playing as well of late, and that will have a domino effect and expose everything else.

I will say one thing.The Steelers absolutely do NOT have the best defense in football.Their defensive numbers are inflated by a very good running game. That translates into fewer opportunities for opposing offensives. The running game in turn has benefitted from strong play by Roethlisberger. However, Roethlisberger hasn't been playing as well of late, and that will have a domino effect and expose everything else.
I thought Ben has struggled in his last 14 straight wins too. Do you think Indy and/or New England can stop the Steelers running game? Even without Duce or the Bus I still think the Steelers can run the ball with that kid from Georgia and fast Willy Parker.

As we've seen there are no sure things in the playoffs but I like this match-up for the Steelers. The Jets will be coming off a 5 qtr upset on the West Coast and into Pittsburgh. Tough to win back-to-back road games like that. Pennington may be feeling better than in their first encounter but I can't see him making enough big plays to win the game for the Jets. I think the Steelers have a few big plays early and coast in the 2nd half:Steelers 27Jets 14BGP: Love your stuff! Keep it coming. :stillers:

Give the Jets all the credit in the world for that win in San Diego. The most impressive thing in my view was their willingness to throw downfield early and often; the lack of which has gotten Paul Hackett and Chad Pennington KILLED in NY media outlets all season.But I think the Jets' feel good story ends this weekend as the :stillers: roll them up at Heinz Field.

I thought Ben has struggled in his last 14 straight wins too.
I didn't say over the last 14 wins. I said recently, as in his stretch to end the season where he threw 3TDs and 5INTs. That has to concern anyone. If I were a steeler fan it would concern ME.
Do you think Indy and/or New England can stop the Steelers running game?
Heck, I'll believe the JETS will stop the Steelers running game. They stopped it in their last meeting:Duce Staley: 16/50, 3.13 ypcBettis: 10/57, 5.7 ypcCombined: 3.85 ypcThe Redskins also stopped the Steelers run game. A good run defense CAN stop these Steelers. The Colts probably won't be able to but the I think the Patriots will.

The more I look at it, the morte I think this is just a bad matchup for the Steelers. The Jets have the stout run defense, which will probably take the Steelers out of their game. Look at their week 14 matchup. That game was tied 3-3 in the third quarter. Roethlisberger stunk up the place, throwing 9/19 for 144 0Tds and 2INTs. The backbreaker was a TD pass from Bettis.This won't be an easy game for the Steelers under any circumstances. I'd definitely take the 9 points here.

The Steelers absolutely do NOT have the best defense in football.

Their defensive numbers are inflated by a very good running game. That translates into fewer opportunities for opposing offensives.
Does this surprise you? Historically, the teams that control the ball well with a solid running game usually do very well in run defense. I don't see how you can say that they aren't the leagues top defense unless you assume that they will stop running the ball themselves.2004

#1 rush D: Pittsburgh (#1 TOP)

#2 rush D: Washington (#8 TOP)

#3 rush D: San Diego (#6 TOP)

#1 rush D: Tennessee (#3 TOP)

#2 rush D: Jacksonville (#16 TOP)

#3 rush D: Dallas (#4 TOP)

#1 TOP was Denver (#7 rush D)

#2 rush D: Tennessee (#2 TOP)

#3 rush D: Oakland (#10 TOP)

#2 rush D: Chicago (#10 TOP)

#3 rush D: St.Louis (#3 TOP)

Let's look at the PBP of the first meeting.

1st quarter:

+Jets get the ball first and go 3 and out.

-Steelers go 3 and out.

+Jets go 3 and out.

-Steelers get a first down thanks to a jet penalty. Ben sacked on 3rd down and they punt again.

+Jets get ball back, Chad picked on first play.

-Steelers start at the NYJ38. They manage one first down and settle for a FG.

2nd quarter:

+Jets get one first down and punt.

-Steelers go 3 and out.

+Jets get one first down, then committ a bunch of penalties and punt.

-Steelers get one first down. They get another on a NYJ penalty, get to the NYJ37 but have to punt. They pin NYJ to their 4 yard line.

+Jets go on their best drive yet, a 12 play drive to the Steeler 40. Then Chad throws an INT.

-Steelers take over at midfield and Ben throws an incompletion then an INT to end the half.

3rd quarter:

-Steelers get one first down. Then NYJ sack ben AGAIN on 3rd down and Steelers punt. again the NYJ get pinned to their own 4.

+Jets bust out on two huge plays and wind up getting to the PIT 25 where they kick a game-tying FG. 3-3.

-Steelers get a first down and then Ben throws an INT.

+With great field position, Jets go 3 and out.

4th quarter:

-Steelers go 80 yards and 3 first downs, capped by a Bettis 10 yard TD pass to Tuman to go up 10-3.

+Jets get 5 first downs on a 57 yard drive and kick a FG from the PIT 23. 10-6 Steelers.

-Steelers get 1 first down and go 69 yards to score a TD on a 12 yard run by Bettis. Key play was Ben to Mays for 46 yards. 17-6 Steelers. 3 minutes left.

+NYJ get two first downs then Chad throws his third INT.

-Steelers get a first down on a 10 yard run by Bettis and then take a knee three times.

The Steelers absolutely do NOT have the best defense in football.

Their defensive numbers are inflated by a very good running game. That translates into fewer opportunities for opposing offensives.
Does this surprise you? Historically, the teams that control the ball well with a solid running game usually do very well in run defense. I don't see how you can say that they aren't the leagues top defense unless you assume that they will stop running the ball themselves.
I like the "yards per point allowed" statisic for this reason. While not perfect, it does give you a good idea of how good a defense is in and of itself. It says, "given the same opportunities, how well do teams in general fare against this defense?"Let's look at the defensive efficiencies of both of these clubs more closely.

These two units gave up almost the exact same amount of points:

NYJ: 229

PIT: 227

However, the Steelers allowed 532 less yards:

NYJ:4399

PIT:3867

So what this tells us is the Jets' opponents had to work harder to get the same amount of points that the Steelers' opponents did. The Steelers' opponents did more with less.

The jets need to stack the box early and stop the run. I expect cowher to let big ben ease his way into his playoff career by letting the RB's tote the rock early. If the jets can get a few stops and put 10-13 points on the board by the mid 2nd quarter, i like our chances. Getting Abraham to drag his selfish ### onto the field on passing downs is gonna be crucial IMO. If the Jets can hit ben in the ribs in the few times, they can definetly slow down the steelers offense. As great as Ben has been, i dont think he is gonna kill the Jets through the air if we can get any kind of decent pressure.we need to keep passing the ball like we did against SD. Its gonna be tough to run with curtis, so we need to use screens to curtis and sweeps to jordan to keep Pitt honest. If hackett goes back to running draw plays on 3rd and 6, we're dead. I think the jets have a chance if we can get a decent pass rush. The longer we keep pitt's defense on the field the more efficiently we'll be able to run in the 2nd half. I wont predict a jets win, but if i were a betting man, Id take the Jets if they are getting more than 6 points.

How about just "Points Allowed"?Pittsburgh led the league this year, allowing 15.7 PPG.2003: New England 14.9, Super Bowl Champs2002: Tampa Bay 12.3, Super Bowl Champs2001: Chicago 12.7, lost Divisional Playoff to Philadelphia (#2 PPG, 13.0). New England won the Super Bowl (#5 PPG, 17.0)2000: Baltimore 10.3, Super Bowl ChampsThe Jets were #4 this year, allowing 16.3 PPG. Following this chart...the Super Bowl champ will be either the Steelers or, if the lose to New York, the Eagles (#2 PPG, opposite conference, fits 2001 mold) :D

How about just "Points Allowed"?
"Points allowed" by itself may be tainted by a strong offense. If you have a strong running game and can control the clock, you can give the other team less opportunites. "Yards per point" is a little better I think as it distills it down a little more. Not only that, but there are some clear trends between efficiencies and wins and losses at the end of the playoffs (that 17-2 mark).

Pittsburgh led the league this year, allowing 15.7 PPG.2003: New England 14.9, Super Bowl Champs2002: Tampa Bay 12.3, Super Bowl Champs2001: Chicago 12.7, lost Divisional Playoff to Philadelphia (#2 PPG, 13.0). New England won the Super Bowl (#5 PPG, 17.0)2000: Baltimore 10.3, Super Bowl ChampsThe Jets were #4 this year, allowing 16.3 PPG. Following this chart...the Super Bowl champ will be either the Steelers or, if the lose to New York, the Eagles (#2 PPG, opposite conference, fits 2001 mold) :D
Looking at those teams in terms of how efficient they were:2004:pit 15.03 O, 17.04 Dnyj 17.30 O, 19.21 Dphi 14.36 O, 21.65 D2003nwe 15.11 O, 20.67 D2002tam 15.09 O, 22.14 D2001nwe 13.80 O, 20.54 D chi 14.24 O, 25.972000bal 15.92 O, 25.12 DEvery team you listed was over 20 in defensive YPP except the 2004 Steelers and Jets. The Jets were more efficient than the Steelers this year.

I think the key for the Jets will be getting the Steelers out of their game. Pittsburgh averaged 40 carries a game for 158 yards during their 15 victories, 25-93 during their lone loss. If New York can somehow get ahead early with a big play or two, the Steelers use of a ball/clock control offense will actually be working against them (running the clock out on themselves). During their first matchup they had some success, actually beating the Steelers in Time of Possession and holding Pittsburgh to 31 carries, but it didn't help because Pitt's defense won it. They held the Jets to 3.3 yards per rush and a 33.6 rating from Pennington (3 picks, 0 TD).I look for the Jets to come out early with a couple of attempts down the field. Roethlisberger didn't have his main weapon during their first game, and with Burress back I see the Steelers getting the big play and putting the game away by halftime.

The Steelers beat the Jets by 11 points when Chad Penningotn threw 3 picks, no TDs, and was off-target all game. When they played, Chad was in only his second game back after missing 3 games with a shoulder injury, and it was clear that he was not accurate. Pennington has demonstrated a tendency to press when returning from injuries. Against less sound teams like Houston and Seattle, Pennington had the openings and put together magnificent performances while attempting no more than 27 passes per game. However, against the Steelers and Patriots, Pennington did not have the openings and tried to force some throws rather than manage the game and keep it close.Personally, I think Pennington has found his touch again. San Diego was a terrific defensive team, but Pennington continually delivered balls to where only his receivers could catch them. His throws did not challenge double coverage, but he still managed to get 13 of 23 completions out to wide receivers. I also think that Pennington will learn from his experience two years ago, when the Jets blew out the Colts 41-0 before losing to the Raiders when Pennington was unable to find his accuracy and melted down some. If John Abraham returns, you're taking about a team that was tied 3-3 with the Steelers in the 4th quarter, at Pittsburgh, that now gets its best defensive player back. Even without him, you have to believe that Pennington is going to play a better game than he did last time. Roethlisberger, OTOH, has been playing worse recently, is getting his first taste of the playoffs, and will in all likelihood need to make more plays if his team is going to win. The Jets defense just held the potent Chargers to 17 points through nearly 75 minutes of football, all without their best player. They were able to establish a running game against the extremely tough Chargers D. I gotta tell you, while the Steelers are a great team, the Jets have the defense to make this game entirely about quarterback play, and I don't think Pennington is going to make the same mistakes this time around. Most people who didn't see the first game didn't realize that the Jets weredemoralized by the Bettis option TD throw, but only lost the game when Pennington threw the pick in the following series. It was a VERY tight game, no doubt about it.

The Jets won in SD in spite of their coach! Just look at their first posession of OT. Pass, pass, pass...even though CuMart had a nice YPC. Then, they finally get it right after the choke by Kaeding.The J-E-T-S will be outcoached again in this one and as much as I like CuMart, this will be a :stillers: blowout.Stillers 35J-E-T-S 17

You gotta respect that despite being pinned back at their own 4 TWICE, the Jets still fought their way out of it and kept it close at 10-6 until the very end. If they can get a little better field position this time around they can make it closer.

You gotta respect that despite being pinned back at their own 4 TWICE, the Jets still fought their way out of it and kept it close at 10-6 until the very end. If they can get a little better field position this time around they can make it closer.
Hey BGP,Are you a Jets fan?

Hey BGP,Are you a Jets fan?
No.I am a Browns fan. To be honest I'd just as soon see New York lose because New York teams win too much in sports as it is.

If John Abraham returns, you're taking about a team that was tied 3-3 with the Steelers in the 4th quarter, at Pittsburgh, that now gets its best defensive player back.
You're also talking about a Pittsburgh team that played the Jets without their only significant deep threat, making it less risky for the Jets to crowd the box to stop the run. Plax upgrades their offense at least as much as Abraham upgrades the Jets D.

If John Abraham returns, you're taking about a team that was tied 3-3 with the Steelers in the 4th quarter, at Pittsburgh, that now gets its best defensive player back.
You're also talking about a Pittsburgh team that played the Jets without their only significant deep threat, making it less risky for the Jets to crowd the box to stop the run. Plax upgrades their offense at least as much as Abraham upgrades the Jets D.
But the Jets were very strong against the run all year. They just held LT2 to a 3.1 average. Why do you respect the Jet's run D so little as to say Plax will make such a difference?

Actually, I don't respect that at all... the one weakness of this Steelers defense has been the inability to keep teams pinned down inside their 10 yard line. The Jets were not the first team to exploit this weakness and they might not be the last. Even so, they will need to do more than that to pull off the upset this week. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Lebeau come up with some new ways to make sure they don't ;) :sleep: :stillers: :stillers: :stillers: :stillers:

I was at the Steelers Jets game earlier this season and I could have sworn the Steelers won the game. However, after reading BGP's various treatise on the subject, I'm not so sure.

In any event, no way would I give more than a TD this week. I can't see team "smoke and mirrors" covering against the stout Jets defense and the formerly noodle-armed Chad Pennington led scoring machine.

Seriously

As a Steelers fan, I'm a little nervous about this game (but I'd be nervous about a Chargers matchup too, I never can get too comfortable).In the first matchup, Pennington was fresh back from injury and Abraham was out. For the Steelers, Staley was just back from injury and Plax was out. I think a healthy Plax benefits the Steelers more than any of the other players add to their team. I also think that Bettis will likely get the start vs. the Jets.This should be a phenomenal game, and Heinz field will be rocking. I'd stay the hell away from betting this game, because I can easily see the Jets keeping it close (or even winning), it isn't a stretch for me to imagine the Steelers running it up if they get a break or two early.**If you want to talk about the matchup that really worries me...let's talk INDY**

*IF* Pittsburgh can win the Super Bowl this year (emphasis added to "If", as I know we have a very tough road ahead in the NYJ, either Indy or NE if we get that far, and the NFC champ if we get that far) -- but just saying...IF they can win...I , for one, cannot wait to see BGPs spin on how they are the most overrated, undertalented, poorly coached SuperBowl winners of all time. And then of course, his ensuing meltdown. :lol: For Sunday: I think Cowher has the team focused, and I HOPE they've learned their lessons in recent years about looking past playoff opponents. Prediction -- Steelers 24, Jets 17. I do agree that a 9 point line for the Jets would be tempting, were I a betting man...

But the Jets were very strong against the run all year. They just held LT2 to a 3.1 average. Why do you respect the Jet's run D so little as to say Plax will make such a difference?
Come on, BGP, you know the answer to that. It's exactly the statistic you've been ranting about for weeks: With Plax playing, Ben is 146/211 (69.2%) with 14 TD's and 7 Int's. When Plax was out, he was 50/84 (59.5%) with 3 TD's and 4 Int's. You call it a meltdown, I call it missing his favorite receiver and biggest deep threat. Yeah, the Jets have been good against the run all year--and the Steelers have been great running the ball all year. The thing that has fluctuated (as you absolutely love to point out) is the passing game. Without Plax, it's simply not as effective. The Jets knew that last game and with no one to stretch the field, they were able to concentrate more on the run and short passing game. No one is direspecting the Jets Defense. As just about every Pittsburgh homer has indicated in this thread, we expect a close, hard-fought game. I was merely pointing out that getting Abraham back does not swing the balance of power to the Jets D because his presence is more than countered by that of Plax.

Users who are viewing this thread