What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL to rule on new drug rule Sunday. Effect on gordon, blackmon, welk (1 Viewer)

Cliff Clavin said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:
So do you drop a guy like Hunter or Latimer for this lottery ticket? Yeah I know-that's kind of an ACF Q-so in general where do you draw the line? We all know that if he plays he's a top 10 lock, but you can't drop solid WR2/3's on a pipe dream, but WR4/5's it's worth a shot I assume? I guess this is the million dollar question.
I dropped Welker for him. Too much upside not to grab him. I absolutely drop Lattimer or Hunter for him.
For me, Welker would be too much for a chance at Gordon's reinstatement. I don't think I'd drop Kelvin Benjamin for him. I did drop Mike Williams for him (not a great pick, anyway).
Welker is a borderline WR3 in non-ppr. I'll drop him or any other borderline starter anytime for a shot at a potential top 5 WR. Welker isnt going to win you anything. Gordon can.
I think Welker can help you win, and he's definitely playing in a great offense. Gordon *might* play in a crappy offense. I get his value, but I wouldn't risk a starter for a chance at a guy who was great last year. I don't want to take that risk. If someone picked him up and ditched Welker, I'd be happy to pick Welker up and count myself fortunate.In the leagues where I picked up Gordon, I'm happy with the scrub I ditched to get him. It was the right price for me.
Gordon was on a crappy offence last year and did pretty good :shrug:

Welker could be the 3rd/4th option if he stays healthy and that isn't including Ball.

I don't want to make this about my team as no one cares. He was my WR4/5 with Benjamin. With the suspension and health risk it was an easy choice for me. I'll take a risk on the guy who lead WRs in PPG last year over a guy who I'll be spot starting. The upside is just too much.
Anarchy99 makes a good point up there, as Welker tapered off towards the end of the season but I think you're severely underestimating how much Peyton leans on Welker. Just some stats..

D. Thomas saw 140 targets in 16 games, 21 RZ targets

Decker saw 135 targets in 16 games, 25 RZ targets

Welker saw 110 targets in 13 games, 24 RZ targets

J. Thomas saw 90 targets in 14 games, 19 RZ targets

If you extrapolate Welker's targets over a full season, he would have seen the same amount of targets as Decker (135) and more RZ looks ~29. With Decker gone, a healthy Welker wouldn't be considered the 3rd or 4th option in this offense and based on last years #s, he'd likely be the #1 RZ target. I believe the #1 RZ target in a Peyton Manning lead offense can win you a season. Granted, I don't value him higher than Gordon (no one should) but he's also someone I wouldn't even debate dropping either; especially over a rookie who will likely draw double coverage on a passing offense that's projected to be anemic.

You guys are making me jealous that you can make any kind of WW moves right now. In FFPC we can't do #### until next week and even then FAAB all but guarantees that someone is going to blow their entire budget if Gordon is available. I want to gamble!
hes really available in an ffpc? out of the 10 leagues i wither entered or witnessed he went at the latest in the 13th. even the draft the day before the season started, when his value was lowest, he went in the 10th. back in early august he went in the 9th. hes def worth the whole roll minus a few dollars for kicker and d transactions.
He's available in my FFPC league. We drafted three days ago.
i guess i just saw some outliers. fwiw, i post on another board with a draft thread and plenty of completed ffpc drafts were posted and he was taken in every one. however, i just checked the end of august fpc adp for subscribers and it reports that tho his adp was 226, he was only drafted in 87 of the last 218 drafts. thats just amazing to me.
To be honest I haven't checked out every single one of my leagues but I'm assuming he's going to be available in some. I never even debated drafting him this year and I'm going to assume there were leagues where other managers shared the same sentiment. You last stat confirms my suspicion.

Gordan went undrafted in the friends and family league I've been in since 1999. After reading an article Friday morning about the possibility of Gordon's suspension being reduced, I ran out and waived Eric Decker for him as my 6th WR (PPR), understanding at the time that the article was pure speculation and even if it came true, there was a real likelihood that the new rule would not be applicable retroactively. This took place about 7 am PST. In our league we have freedom to do as many waivers as we wish of players who have not yet played their first game of the season. After week one, it goes to blind bidding for waivers, where Gordan would cost a bunch. My pick up of Gordon was a calculated risk and completely within the rules, and I was happy to have been the first in the league to see the news and react.

Around 4 pm PST, I start getting texts from the Commish that my waiver has thrown of the competitive advantage of the league and unless I agreed to give him up, I could be sure that the season would have a huge asterisk next to it, should I win. He basically gave me no out other than to reverse my waiver and make Gordan available to all.

Here's what he ended up posting on the league message board:

The NFL might change it's drug policy. This could affect players that are currently suspended such as Josh Gordon and Wes Welker. The effect could be no suspensions for these players. It's also possible that nothing will change from what it is now.

Since we have already held our draft this would have a major affect on the entire fantasy football season. For that reason, we will need to stick with the policy as we knew it on draft day.

All players currently suspended will remain suspended for the same number of games they have now. That means all season for Josh Gordon and 4 games for Wes Welker and Matt Prater. And any others.

Reasons for this decision.

1. Gordon's potential availability for this season would have changed the entire way our draft laid out. Every person would have drafted him if the NFL had not said he was suspended all season and again after his appeal.

2. Ray Rice was suspended for 2 games. After the NFL changed their policy that a first offender is out for 6 games they did not change his suspension to 6 games. It stayed at 2.

3. Fierce but friendly competition. Everyone in the league is a friend with at least one other person. All rules are set to make for good competition with the goal that everyone wants to return and battle again the next year.

4. The current owner of Gordon is fine with keeping him suspended for the entire season. He doesn't get him and neither does anybody else.

Gordon will remain on BAT1man's roster for now so that other people don't keep trying to pick him up before they read this.

Hopefully the NFL doesn't change anything from what it is now and this is just an exercise in proactive thinking.

Am I wrong to think this is bullcrud? How are other leagues handling this?

Gordan went undrafted in the friends and family league I've been in since 1999. After reading an article Friday morning about the possibility of Gordon's suspension being reduced, I ran out and waived Eric Decker for him as my 6th WR (PPR), understanding at the time that the article was pure speculation and even if it came true, there was a real likelihood that the new rule would not be applicable retroactively. This took place about 7 am PST. In our league we have freedom to do as many waivers as we wish of players who have not yet played their first game of the season. After week one, it goes to blind bidding for waivers, where Gordan would cost a bunch. My pick up of Gordon was a calculated risk and completely within the rules, and I was happy to have been the first in the league to see the news and react.

Around 4 pm PST, I start getting texts from the Commish that my waiver has thrown of the competitive advantage of the league and unless I agreed to give him up, I could be sure that the season would have a huge asterisk next to it, should I win. He basically gave me no out other than to reverse my waiver and make Gordan available to all.

The NFL might change it's drug policy. This could affect players that are currently suspended such as Josh Gordon and Wes Welker. The effect could be no suspensions for these players. It's also possible that nothing will change from what it is now.

Since we have already held our draft this would have a major affect on the entire fantasy football season. For that reason, we will need to stick with the policy as we knew it on draft day.

All players currently suspended will remain suspended for the same number of games they have now. That means all season for Josh Gordon and 4 games for Wes Welker and Matt Prater. And any others.

1. Gordon's potential availability for this season would have changed the entire way our draft laid out. Every person would have drafted him if the NFL had not said he was suspended all season and again after his appeal.

2. Ray Rice was suspended for 2 games. After the NFL changed their policy that a first offender is out for 6 games they did not change his suspension to 6 games. It stayed at 2.

3. Fierce but friendly competition. Everyone in the league is a friend with at least one other person. All rules are set to make for good competition with the goal that everyone wants to return and battle again the next year.

4. The current owner of Gordon is fine with keeping him suspended for the entire season. He doesn't get him and neither does anybody else.

Gordon will remain on BAT1man's roster for now so that other people don't keep trying to pick him up before they read this.

Hopefully the NFL doesn't change anything from what it is now and this is just an exercise in proactive thinking.

LOL at that. Complete bull. Don't stand for that.

Complete trash, throw a fit.

Complete crap, sounds like a jealous commish that you beat to the punch. No way I would drop Gordon

Bull**** money grab. He's pissed because you were smart. Lol at "friendly." This is the opposite of friendly.

Busch League. It makes as much sense as doing the same thing with injured players who come back from injuries early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted Gordon in the last round of my cash redraft league and was laughed at. I did it almost as a joke. I am shocked that he even has a chance to play this year. What a freaking lottery ticket if that happens.

This ones easy to see. Several of the other owners went to the website today to try and do what you already did. They saw Gordon was gone and started whining and crying. Most of them knew this was a possibility at some earlier point, but didn't feel it was likely to happen. With the news today making it look more likely that it could actually happen, they really got their panties in a wad and forced a weak commissioner to cave in. Either that or the commish himself is the whiny little.......

Complete crap, sounds like a jealous commish that you beat to the punch. No way I would drop Gordon
yup. wouldnt drop gordon and that'd be the last time i ever played in that league if he stays commish. absolutely ridiculous. fantasy sports turn grown men into babies

This ones easy to see. Several of the other owners went to the website today to try and do what you already did. They saw Gordon was gone and started whining and crying. Most of them knew this was a possibility at some earlier point, but didn't feel it was likely to happen. With the news today making it look more likely that it could actually happen, they really got their panties in a wad and forced a weak commissioner to cave in. Either that or the commish himself is the whiny little.......
Yup, you took a gamble and it looks like it might pay off. Now everyone is upset at themselves but pointing fingers at you

Totally agree. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I might seriously consider leaving the league.

Agreed. I would not take this lying down. It's complete BS. I would be prepared to quit the league over something like this.

Unacceptable in any way, shape, or form.

Agreed. I would not take this lying down. It's complete BS. I would be prepared to quit the league over something like this.

Unacceptable in any way, shape, or form.
Yeah seriously I'm upset for you right now. And if this commish is doing this, no telling what else he would do just to try to win.

I have to agree with everyone. I would quit that league so fast . But I have to add it's not just your league.getting the same thing in my leagues and a few fellas I know in there leagues. Specifically from the people who dropped Gordon. Now I have him in all my leagues and the folks who dropped him of course are feeling silly now. There is going to be a lot of this. And if Gordon plays and the suspension is overturned watch how many leagues have huge issues from other jealous or angry owners. Example you might have someone who drafted megaton with the 6or 7th pick and took Demarious Thomas coming back (or aj green) and now you can have 3 #1 wide receivers as your starters. You will have very angry owners especially the ones who dropped Gordon. But back to the league in question. You were the smart one to grab him. This is no different to say Jamal Charles get injured and you are the first to hear because you were off from work and everyone was working and you got kniles Davis. Way it goes. Don't let them do this to you.

I would have laughed in the commissioner's face.

"An asterisk you say? Woe is me! Pretty sure the money I'll be counting won't have an asterisk on it."

That's a tough call.

I drafted him, dropped him after the year long and then someone else picked him up as soon as the rumors started Thurs. As much as I hate it....I can't complain about it. But.....I do think he's such a unique talent that it will upset the balance.

Guy in my league draft Gordon fairly late. Dropped him when news came out his year long suspension would stand. We have FCFS waivers till the season starts and I picked him up when new came out that he might play. Im sure the guy that dropped him isnt too happy and other wish they jumped on him before I did, but no one is complaining. But I would be pretty pissed if the commish tried to reverse it, everyone had their chance at him, I was just lucky enough to get there first

Complete horse####. Keep Gordon and consider quitting after the year if he remains commish.

You 'balance of the league' folks are something else.

If Gordon scores points against someone's defense, do the points/yards count?
This was a point I tried to make with him to no avail. You can't argue with an idiot.

I said based on his logic, should Aldon Smith's suspension be lessoned, he would have to determine which 49er defensive plays involved Smith in any way and subtract those points from the 49ers D owner's score each of those weeks. That pick-6 they got might have been due to pressure a suspended Smith put on the QB.

As for owners of any other Browns offensive players, they will get an advantage due to Gordon's presence.

It's such a joke!

Funny thing is this league has three of my wife's brothers in it, and the commish is their childhood friend. I genuinely consider many of these guys friends. However, I already quit this league once because I was sick of the infantile reaction to the last time I won the league.

I'll play it out and then think long and hard about whether I need to put up with these dumb commish decisions going forward.

In leagues where I drafted Gordon there is no issue. The main issue seems to be that the league said one day that Gordon is out for the year , owner drops his lottery ticket and then news breaks that there is a chance even if small that Gordon may play most of the season. Owner who dropped him goes to grab him and fines out that he is already grabbed or other owners have visions of getting a #1 WR off the waiver wire and find out they were beat out. Jealousey and anger ensue. The same people that are compaining would be saying "Scrwe you" if they had gotten Gordon and someone told them they had to give him back for competitive fairness. I honestly believe that if Gordon is reinstated alot of leagues will have blowups and people quitting etc. I mean look at the issues now and its just speculation. Pure jealousy.

This was a point I tried to make with him to no avail. You can't argue with an idiot. I said based on his logic, should Aldon Smith's suspension be lessoned, he would have to determine which 49er defensive plays involved Smith in any way and subtract those points from the 49ers D owner's score each of those weeks. That pick-6 they got might have been due to pressure a suspended Smith put on the QB.

As for owners of any other Browns offensive players, they will get an advantage due to Gordon's presence.

It's such a joke!

Funny thing is this league has three of my wife's brothers in it, and the commish is their childhood friend. I genuinely consider many of these guys friends. However, I already quit this league once because I was sick of the infantile reaction to the last time I won the league.

I'll play it out and then think long and hard about whether I need to put up with these dumb commish decisions going forward.
Pay yet? Sounds like I would make it a dead team walking.

In leagues where I drafted Gordon there is no issue. The main issue seems to be that the league said one day that Gordon is out for the year , owner drops his lottery ticket and then news breaks that there is a chance even if small that Gordon may play most of the season. Owner who dropped him goes to grab him and fines out that he is already grabbed or other owners have visions of getting a #1 WR off the waiver wire and find out they were beat out. Jealousey and anger ensue. The same people that are compaining would be saying "Scrwe you" if they had gotten Gordon and someone told them they had to give him back for competitive fairness. I honestly believe that if Gordon is reinstated alot of leagues will have blowups and people quitting etc. I mean look at the issues now and its just speculation. Pure jealousy.
I think it's very much a unique situation....

ETA: That should probably be more of an indictment on "first come/first serve" waivers.....even in the pre-season. But the chances of something like this happening again are pretty slim......

It is not fair when our 1st round pick blows his knee out week 1. In one league of mine a league-mate drafted Barry Sanders the year after he retired "just in case" he decided to come back. You play within the rules of your league. If people cannot accept that than TS.

Umm you need to quit that league asap if that's the case. That is pure BS and bad commissioner rules to boot. Some guy drafted him in the 10th round of our redraft league. it's all about risk/potential you can't do that. The commish of your league is a girl and butt hurt that he doesn't have Gordon...

:goodposting: :bye: :thanks: butt hurt commish = not letting you have gordon.. Its like a baby when he starts crying when you take his toy away... GOSH that is a good one Batman made me laugh for quite a long time reading your Story book about your friends&framily leauge :sadbanana:

I have to agree with everyone. I would quit that league so fast . But I have to add it's not just your league.getting the same thing in my leagues and a few fellas I know in there leagues. Specifically from the people who dropped Gordon. Now I have him in all my leagues and the folks who dropped him of course are feeling silly now. There is going to be a lot of this. And if Gordon plays and the suspension is overturned watch how many leagues have huge issues from other jealous or angry owners. Example you might have someone who drafted megaton with the 6or 7th pick and took Demarious Thomas coming back (or aj green) and now you can have 3 #1 wide receivers as your starters. You will have very angry owners especially the ones who dropped Gordon. But back to the league in question. You were the smart one to grab him. This is no different to say Jamal Charles get injured and you are the first to hear because you were off from work and everyone was working and you got kniles Davis. Way it goes. Don't let them do this to you.
Exactly Stand up or Lay down.. IF he doesn't let u keep Gordon Quit Immediately unless you already paid. If you probably already paid for league you may want to stick it out but For next year Be done with it

This was a point I tried to make with him to no avail. You can't argue with an idiot.

I said based on his logic, should Aldon Smith's suspension be lessoned, he would have to determine which 49er defensive plays involved Smith in any way and subtract those points from the 49ers D owner's score each of those weeks. That pick-6 they got might have been due to pressure a suspended Smith put on the QB.

It's such a joke!

Sounds like your wifes stupid brothers and their Childhood friend are trying to monopolize the league themselves and can't stand losing to their sisters Husband... I would rethink even playing with these Dil%$%.

The NFL is futsing with our leagues! My arch rivals in both my leagues beat me to the punch by minutes!

Hopefully, your commish/league is reasonable enough that when you email them the link to this page of this thread they see the error of their ways.

At this point he should just simulate the season on Madden without the suspended players and tell everyone who won this year.

ESPN radio sportscenter update included a quick story with soundbite of Gordon doing interview with the theme being that he has come to terms with his suspension. NO mention that he may get overturned because of new drug policy. NEXT story was about Welker's suspension and how it could be overturned by the new drug policy. Interesting.

ESPN radio sportscenter update included a quick story with soundbite of Gordon doing interview with the theme being that he has come to terms with his suspension. NO mention that he may get overturned because of new drug policy. NEXT story was about Welker's suspension and how it could be overturned by the new drug policy. Interesting.
Wes is white...this makes a lot of sense. I get it.

I could be wrong, but I think the Gordon interview is from before this new talk with the new drug policy. It came out after his appeal was denied in regards to him suing the NFL.

Umm you need to quit that league asap if that's the case. That is pure BS and bad commissioner rules to boot. Some guy drafted him in the 10th round of our redraft league. it's all about risk/potential you can't do that. The commish of your league is a girl and butt hurt that he doesn't have Gordon...

Exactly, then post his cell number here, or at the very least his email.

I drafted Gordon in the last round of my cash redraft league and was laughed at. I did it almost as a joke. I am shocked that he even has a chance to play this year. What a freaking lottery ticket if that happens.
Same thing happened to me. Laughs and all. Who's laughing now, #####es!

Same thing happened to me. Laughs and all. Who's laughing now, #####es!
Everyone, including me laughed when a league mate drafted him fairly early. The guy dropped in last week when the appeal ruling came out. I picked him up yesterday, and got a #### you email from the original owner.

Users who are viewing this thread