What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Oakland Raiders 2012 Regular Season Thread*** (3 Viewers)

'Raiderfan32904 said:
There’s really no way to judge the firing of Hue Jackson at this moment. I want to believe our new GM McKenzie is as good as advertized. I want to believe that Al Davis’s son Mark, is getting good advice on handling the team moving forward. If it improves the team, I’m all for it.But before we say it’s great to have our first GM in history other than Al Davis, let’s remember that the Raiders are Al Davis. I’ll say that again.The Raiders are Al Davis….Al Davis is the Raiders.You can’t love one without intrinsically loving the blueprint that Davis put on the team. You’d be a hypocrite to disagree.Davis was a pioneer in this league, and his height/weight/speed….speed above all else methodology of developing a franchise, his loyalty to “his” guys, his stubborn insistence of man press coverage with single deep safety, his philosophy that the QB must go down and must go down hard. The “Raider Mystique”. The Black and Silver credo of intimidation. These were all part of the Al Davis culture. And now it all feels more and more like the day Davis died. The Raiders kind of died with him. It’s very sad to remember, but it won’t ever be the same. I’ve followed the Raiders all my life, over 4 decades now. They are the one constant that hasn’t changed. Better or worse, they had Al Davis’s fingerprints all over them. As a franchise, they seemed like a monarchy among a cartel of colonials. Davis was the last of the true mavericks. While the rest of the owners were just a bunch of corporate bonus babies who never had to beat the mean streets to get what they got. Davis was a tough SOB before he was a rich owner, and maybe he did some regrettable and petty things, but he was true to himself and his vision of the Oakland Raiders. He always put winning ahead of money, and he proved it with his checkbook always rostering close to the most expensive team in the NFL. By firing Hue Jackson, it appears ostensively that Mark Davis is starting to cut ties with everything his father stood for. Jackson was a strong willed leader who had the Raiders moving in the right direction early in the season, but then it all unraveled with key injuries and awful defensive schemes. Certainly he could have done a better job toward the end of the season. But he was a rookie head coach; one that commanded respect in the locker room. His ego was out of control and he needed to be harnessed in a bit more, but firing him went too far.Now who will be the next coach? Will McKenzie bring in the Packers west coast offense? Will the Raiders go to a 3-4 defense? Will it be another year of transition, and another year of waiting for the Raiders to improve just to get back to mediocre? This 2011 Raiders team that was making strides since the Cable guy, is now blown up and the deck chairs are re-shuffled once again.And I’m not saying that they wouldn’t be changes for the better in this pass happy league. Just saying it won’t be the same. Even the changes mark improvements and the playoffs, only the black and silver uniforms will tell me that they are the Raiders. I’m afraid that they will be as bland as homogenous as the rest of the NFL, no longer a monarchy, but a colonist. Time will tell if Mark Davis has any of his pop’s moxie or if he’s just another inheritance baby mailing it to corporate.
Al Davis died about a decade ago when the Raiders last were meaningful. No offense, he was great in his day, but his day has long ago been eclipsed. I applaud his son for hiring a GM he trusts and turning the reigns over to him. Hue Jackson is no HOF HC and should not be mourned. He may have turned out ok but with a new owner who trusts his GM, and a new GM, I think the Raiders will be in a position to land an even better HC.

Here is a very interesting article from Yahoo! Sports speculating on why Hue Jackson was fired.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_oakland_raiders_hue_jackson_mark_davis_011112
I don't always agree with Silver, but the tone of this article rings true. Tommy boy's in power and he want's everyone to know. He ain't putting up with daddy's ish anymore.
Jackson likes to reference his conversations with the late owner too much for some people’s tastes, but the fact is he was being groomed to be a powerful head coach who understood the Raider Way. In that sense, he was being treated more like an heir than Mark Davis was – think Maximus and Commodus in “Gladiator” – another understandable source of tension and insecurity for the man on the wrong end of that equation.

Here is a very interesting article from Yahoo! Sports speculating on why Hue Jackson was fired.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_oakland_raiders_hue_jackson_mark_davis_011112
I don't always agree with Silver, but the tone of this article rings true. Tommy boy's in power and he want's everyone to know. He ain't putting up with daddy's ish anymore.
Jackson likes to reference his conversations with the late owner too much for some people’s tastes, but the fact is he was being groomed to be a powerful head coach who understood the Raider Way. In that sense, he was being treated more like an heir than Mark Davis was – think Maximus and Commodus in “Gladiator” – another understandable source of tension and insecurity for the man on the wrong end of that equation.
I think the article is junk myself. I liked what I saw from Mark Davis when McKenzie was introduced.

I think the article is junk myself. I liked what I saw from Mark Davis when McKenzie was introduced.
:goodposting: This was a hatchet job by Silver and very unfair. (Prolly trying to generate traffic to his page.) Reading through the interview Mark Davis had with a local writer he said all the right things. Specifically, that he knows what he doesn't know, which is huge. My impression is that Davis is willing to let the football people do their job and not interfere. While Davis' appearance lends to the Tommy Boy reference, Silver has no justification for it other than some anecdotal information. Let's reserve judgement and give Davis a full season before jumping to conclusions.

My impression is that Davis is willing to let the football people do their job and not interfere.
Exactly. Marc Davis is not a football guy the way his father was. That's why we have a GM now and the GM will handle the team. The media just loves contraversy and we are the Bad Boys of the NFL. Let them hate us. Let them talk bad about us. It just feeds the love of the real Raider fans. Just Win Baby!

My impression is that Davis is willing to let the football people do their job and not interfere.
Exactly. Marc Davis is not a football guy the way his father was. That's why we have a GM now and the GM will handle the team. The media just loves contraversy and we are the Bad Boys of the NFL. Let them hate us. Let them talk bad about us. It just feeds the love of the real Raider fans. Just Win Baby!
It's always a good move to consult with people smarter than you are, particularly if you are thrown into a position you are not qualified for like Al's son. I think McKenzie is a good hire. Endorsed by people Al Davis was close to. Hopefully McKenzie lands the guy he has had his eye on all along. Hue wasn't perfect, had made some egregious error to be sure. But he was the most dynamic playcaller when paired with Al Saunders that we have had in years. I hope we don't step back into the bed and breakfast type offense again. And Mark Davis has no loyalty at all for Oakland. He's already threatening to move the team to LA, and if the right deal was on the table, it would already have been a done deal (paraphrasing). They are building that new Farmers Field down there and it may be that he has eyes on that instead of an expansion team.

In an interview on a local Bay Area radio show, the hosts alluded to a rumor that Hue was on his way to KC to take the OC job there. Ugh.

Complete BS "article." If Mark Davis wants to wipe away all the people who witnessed his alleged treatment at the hands of Al, why haven't more front office changes been announced? Surely people like Amy Trask would've witnessed all this.

In an interview on a local Bay Area radio show, the hosts alluded to a rumor that Hue was on his way to KC to take the OC job there. Ugh.
And based on his career trajectory so far, he'll be there for one season tops while he angles for a new HC position.

I will not miss Hue. I lost a lot of respect for him as the 2011 season went on. His final press conference was the final nail in the coffin.

I will not miss Hue. I lost a lot of respect for him as the 2011 season went on. His final press conference was the final nail in the coffin.
I think his final press conference Jackson was very frustrated with the entire team and really fuming at Bresnahan. But I think even he regrets his choice of words. I've also heard that the decision was made to oust Jackson even had he made the playoffs. After Al Davis died, someone had to step up and take the leadership role. Jackson was "next man up". Jackson had maybe too much zeal and too strong an ego to be pulling off crazy mid season trades and calling them great trades. I don't think anyone bought that then and they likely buy it less now. He put himself on an island and unfortunately Mark Davis was in no position to stop him when he could have. For better or for worse, it was all Hue all the time. Too bad it took Mark Davis a lot of counseling and 3 months to grow a pair and make a football decision.And I too was tired of Hue's power trip. I remember the player only OTA's when Campbell and Seymour personally led the team in unsanctioned practices. I remember how Campbell was finding a rhythm in his passes and footwork in preseason, looking very sharp against the Saints. I remember how much hard work Campbell put in to be recognized as a leader. And when he went down to injury, he still worked out with Boller and Palmer trying to coach them up for the next game's gameplan. He did this all year. Now that's leadership. Quiet, but it still counts. Nothing against Carson Palmer, but he was given the keys to the team on a silver platter. I particularly didn't like when Hue said shortly after aquiring Palmer in trade, "now we have a 'real' QB". That was pathetic to step on Campbell to make his boy Palmer look good. Very classless move imo. I also didn't much care for that last presser, but there were a number of times he would be coy with the media. Never once being forthright about Darren McFadden's injury. As hurt as our team was in the last few weeks, it would have been nice to get another depth guy to bolster our defense and put DMC on IR. Our team was ravaged by injuries and marching out there with a 52 man team and an injured star decoy.Now I will say I will miss Hue, because he had a great thing going with Al Saunders, and now that we have Palmer on board and have spent so much to get him (and you can debate if it was a good or bad deal all you want). Now you wonder if Palmer will even want to return. It's been said he's very well off and doesn't need the money. Will Sauders return? Dunno. It may not even be in his hands depending on who McKenzie chooses as HC. The offense was a juggernaut at times this last season in large part to the playcalling. Hue wasn't a bad HC, but not nearly as good as he gave himself credit for. Maybe he was a better OC. If only he could have controlled his emotions and ego, and if only AD hadn't hired that UFL quality DC in Bresnahan. I wish the story could have been different. A few breaks here or there in the Buffalo game, in the Detroit game, and finally in the Charger game when it mattered most. Any one of these games by themselves would have made of difference. We wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of watching the hated Broncos in the playoffs.

Dom Capers

And it begins... Could Capers be the Raider's next HC? It wouldn't surprise me at all that McKenzie would go this route. He obviously has ties with Capers already and shoring up the defense will be a priority in the offseason. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Bruno2 said:
Dom Capers

And it begins... Could Capers be the Raider's next HC? It wouldn't surprise me at all that McKenzie would go this route. He obviously has ties with Capers already and shoring up the defense will be a priority in the offseason. :popcorn:
One winning season in eight years as head coach; 48-80 overall record. If the Raiders want to make the Chargers sticking with Norv Turner look good, Capers would be a great hire.As for "shoring up the defense," the Packers are #32 in yardage defense this year, #19 in scoring defense. 30th in passing net yards/attempt, 26th in rushing yards/attempt.

'Bruno2 said:
Dom Capers

One winning season in eight years as head coach; 48-80 overall record. If the Raiders want to make the Chargers sticking with Norv Turner look good, Capers would be a great hire.As for "shoring up the defense," the Packers are #32 in yardage defense this year, #19 in scoring defense. 30th in passing net yards/attempt, 26th in rushing yards/attempt.
I am by no means on board with Capers... I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if McKenzie picks a Packers assistant to be the Raiders next head coach. And I believe the Packers defense was a top 5 last year... I don't follow the Pack close enough to know what happened this year. I'm sure some of it can be attributed to teams passing a lot in garbage time against them. Capers has a good reputation installing the 3-4 defense as a DC but as a HC I hope the Raiders go another route.

'Bruno2 said:
Dom Capers

I am by no means on board with Capers... I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if McKenzie picks a Packers assistant to be the Raiders next head coach. And I believe the Packers defense was a top 5 last year... I don't follow the Pack close enough to know what happened this year. I'm sure some of it can be attributed to teams passing a lot in garbage time against them. Capers has a good reputation installing the 3-4 defense as a DC but as a HC I hope the Raiders go another route.
I agree with others. I would rather go in another direction for the HC position instead of Dom Capers. In all fairness to Capers record though, he coached two expansion teams so he didn't have much talent to work with.

With that Packers loss, the Raiders will have their new Head Coach sooner rather than later. I expect there will be a lot of interviews this week for the head coaching position.

It would be nice to get the new head coach in as soon as possible so he can build his staff and start evaluating players with McKenzie and get a plan for the offseason. What new schemes if any will the new coaches bring in and what players need to be traded or let go and which players to bring in to fit the possible new schemes.

Looks like McKenzie is interviewing lot of guys which I am all for. I read he has interviewed Bowles, will be interviewing both Broncos coordinators and there will def be three of four Packer guys interviewed.

Shameless hit piece. Seems like Mark is well aware of his short comings (evidenced by the people engaged in advisory roles) and, by all reports, made an excellent hire in McKenzie despite only interviewing one person. I can't imagine any GM very excited to work with a coach who just spent the very short offseason declaring that he would be much more involved in personnel and other decisions. Hue made a huge gambit at the end of the year to yoke some of the control of the team and got burned. I liked Hue and still think he has a very good offensive mind, but as HC, he reminds me too much of other local flops like Mike Nolan. Excellent coordinators who are overmatched as HC. Hue made his own bed, so I;m not sure why Silver is so ready to defend him. He had to go after his outbursts. Keep that kind of junk in house.

Add Mike Tice to the list of guys to be interviewed for head coach.

Mike STINKIN Tice. I hope it's just a formality

Add Mike Tice to the list of guys to be interviewed for head coach. Mike STINKIN Tice. I hope it's just a formality
I still expect it to be Moss. How often does the frontrunner NOT get the job?McKenzie apparently is on record as saying if he was ever a GM, he'd hire Moss. The massive number of names the Raiders are interviewing makes me think there is other stuff at work here. Maybe they are interviewing potential coordinators, maybe doing some recon on the other teams, seeing who their hot young coaches are. I mean, Tice? Mornhinweg?? I don't see it.

Moss is the media favorite. I still don't think that makes him a sure thing hire. I figured that after the Packers loss, the decision to raid the Packers coaching staff would be a swift one, given McKenzie's ties. In the same manner that Mark Davis only interviewed McKenzie because he had him pegged as his guy all along, I was hoping McKenzie would have had wagon's circled around one favorite candidate, presumably from the Packers. Wouldn't have surprised anyone to see Moss hired as early as this past Monday.

Starting to worry that the coaching musical chairs is going see a lot of good candidates jump before McKenzie makes his decision. Lost in all of that is the presumption that the next head coach will get to choose his coaching staff, and all the AD scholarship coaches pretty much know they are out the door, but the new HC will also need time to assemble his staff. Time is ticking.... :unsure:

Moss is the media favorite. I still don't think that makes him a sure thing hire. I figured that after the Packers loss, the decision to raid the Packers coaching staff would be a swift one, given McKenzie's ties. In the same manner that Mark Davis only interviewed McKenzie because he had him pegged as his guy all along, I was hoping McKenzie would have had wagon's circled around one favorite candidate, presumably from the Packers. Wouldn't have surprised anyone to see Moss hired as early as this past Monday.

Starting to worry that the coaching musical chairs is going see a lot of good candidates jump before McKenzie makes his decision. Lost in all of that is the presumption that the next head coach will get to choose his coaching staff, and all the AD scholarship coaches pretty much know they are out the door, but the new HC will also need time to assemble his staff. Time is ticking.... :unsure:
I feel ya, and I am surprised it's taking this long, but I am thus far not seeing the Raiders candidates getting swooped up. McCoy pulled his name form contention, but I am guessing he figured he was a longshot, and was making his play for the Fins job, and wanted them to know he was serious.I am really excited about McKenzie, no one thinks he was a bad choice, and I am betting the new HC will have some really good choices at assistant coaching spots.

I am nervous about the transition to the 3-4, if that is what happens. Seems almost inevitable, and making that change tends to take some time.

I feel ya, and I am surprised it's taking this long, but I am thus far not seeing the Raiders candidates getting swooped up. McCoy pulled his name form contention, but I am guessing he figured he was a longshot, and was making his play for the Fins job, and wanted them to know he was serious.I am really excited about McKenzie, no one thinks he was a bad choice, and I am betting the new HC will have some really good choices at assistant coaching spots.

I am nervous about the transition to the 3-4, if that is what happens. Seems almost inevitable, and making that change tends to take some time.
There might be a reason why McKenzie hasn't decided yet. That might be that he would like to talk to an assistant or two from the teams still in the playoffs. I would rather McKenzie take his time and get this right then rush in and pick the wrong guy as HC.

Hire Philbin, sign Flynn, trade Palmer for a 2nd round pick. I'm not saying that will happen, but its suddenly an option. One I would be happy to see.
Philbin the first coach off the board. Bummer, but not surprising. There is going to be a big bidding war on Flynn the moment free agency kicks off and I dont think we'll be in it either. My offseason dream is dead.

Schefter now saying Dennis Allen is the likely choice. I guess that means the 4-3 defensive front will stick around.

ESPN: Allen is Raiders’ choice as HC

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 at 9:41 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders are negotiating with Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen to become their head coach, according to ESPN.

Citing “multiple league sources,’’ the network reported Tuesday that other candidates, including Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice have been formed they are no longer under consideration.

Tice, according to reports in the Chicago media, removed himself from consideration Monday night.

Allen, 39, would be the first Raiders head coach with a defensive background since John Madden was hired by Al Davis in1969 to succeed John Rauch. Before being hired by Denver, Allen was a defensive backs coach with the New Orleans Saints and also worked with the defensive line in both New Orleans and Atlanta.

General manager Reggie McKenzie is in Mobile, Ala., scouting for the Senior Bowl and told CSN-Bay Area Monday he hoped to have a coach named by the end of the week. McKenzie said at the time of his hiring he wanted his “own guy’’ as head coach and dismissed Hue Jackson after one season.

Allen’s strong candidacy is somewhat of a surprise given that he and McKenzie have no known background. McKenzie reportedly interviewed Allen for the first time last week in Denver while the Broncos other candidate, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, pulled out of the running to concentrate on the vacancy in Miami.

In terms of defensive philosophy, Allen told the Broncos Web site heading into the 20111 season “We’re going to be built off speed and athleticism. We want to be a very fast, violent, aggressive type of defense.’’

Defensive collapses against Buffalo, Denver and San Diego in the season finale helped keep the Raiders out of the playoffs.

Allen is an interesting hire coming off the post AD era. Finally we have a defensive minded HC to revamp the defense, bring in some unique hybrid solutions (though I still see us as primarily a 4-3 team). Allen liked to blitz a lot in Denver, which is something I liked a lot from our previous DC Jim Marshall. Of course, it’s easier to blitz as much as the Broncos did as they had stud edge rushers on either side. The Raiders have talent along the line as well, just lacked a strong D coordinator to put them in the right scheme and playcalls to succeed (Buh bye Bresh). :bye:

Allen’s a young guy, 39 yo with one year as a coordinator under his belt, but is thought of as a rising star NFL coaching circles. But he's also been around the block with coaching stints at Atlanta and New Orleans. Will he be compare on that level to a Chucky Gruden or Lame Kiffin? Probably not a fair or accurate comparison, but he’s got to be prepared for the scrutiny of being the Raiders HC. Goes with the territory.

I still wished that we could have somehow retained Mike Waufel as our DL coach. Waufel fits Allen’s scheme so much better than Bresnahans. The hybrid scheme will hopefully mask our weaknesses at MLB and our aging interior D-linemen. Certainly the bar is set pretty high not to improve on being the most penalized team in history. The defense struggled to hold leads late in games and the lack of discipline really showed. I'm hopeful that this hire will be a turn for the better.

Hopefully we retain our OC Al Saunders and line coach Bob Wiley. They put together a formidable offense and great push off the line last year with a mix & match rotation of oft injured linemen and rookies. Saunders is said to be scouting for the Raiders in Mobile, AL. It would be good to keep this continuity on the offense and OL as that was a strength.

Man, what a sorry set of options. Mornhinweg was the worst head coach in the league when he was in Detroit (5-27), and Tice wasn't much better in Minnesota (1 playoff appearance in 4 years in a weak division). At least Allen isn't a demonstrated failure yet, but it's not like Denver's defense was any good this year (#24 in points against, #20 in yardage against).

Man, what a sorry set of options. Mornhinweg was the worst head coach in the league when he was in Detroit (5-27), and Tice wasn't much better in Minnesota (1 playoff appearance in 4 years in a weak division). At least Allen isn't a demonstrated failure yet, but it's not like Denver's defense was any good this year (#24 in points against, #20 in yardage against).
Seriously. They fired Hue Jax for this hot mess?!? Between this sorry set, Reggie McKenzie's muttered speech and Mark Davis' haircut, I'm really getting that "be careful what you wish for" feeling.

In one season, Allen turned the Broncos defense (which was largely responsible for getting Shanahan fired) from the worst in the league to decent. But if rankings matter that much to you, the Giants' defense was ranked 27th.

I'm hoping Mark Davis' hair cut starts a trend like the cheeseheads in GB. 10,000 foam bad hair cuts in the stadium would be awesome to see.

Here is a short video of Allen from when he joined the Broncos if you want to hear hi talk about his general approach to coaching....

Allen

In one season, Allen turned the Broncos defense (which was largely responsible for getting Shanahan fired) from the worst in the league to decent. But if rankings matter that much to you, the Giants' defense was ranked 27th.
Was I suggesting that the Raiders hire Perry Fewell? #20 isn't "decent" by any measure, especially given the easy schedule the Broncos had--only 5 games against teams with winning records, and they gave up over 40 points in three of those.

Was I suggesting that the Raiders hire Perry Fewell? #20 isn't "decent" by any measure, especially given the easy schedule the Broncos had--only 5 games against teams with winning records, and they gave up over 40 points in three of those.
20th is decent considering they were 32nd the year prior, and last year ranked 6th best in 3rd down defense. Not a coincidence that the Broncos had a huge uptick in their record, with Tebow getting all the credit. That defense, with Miller, Dumervil and Champ is still less talented than the Raiders D is today. If Allen can get that kind of efficiency out of the Raiders D, and with that offense in tact, they should be ok.

I guess if you want to put it into perspective, Allen took over a defense in Denver that Oakland could have scored 100 against if they didn't their foot off the gas after the third quarter. He took that defense into the playoffs.

20th is decent considering they were 32nd the year prior, and last year ranked 6th best in 3rd down defense. Not a coincidence that the Broncos had a huge uptick in their record, with Tebow getting all the credit. That defense, with Miller, Dumervil and Champ is still less talented than the Raiders D is today. If Allen can get that kind of efficiency out of the Raiders D, and with that offense in tact, they should be ok.
Why would the offense be intact? Allen hasn't coached on the offensive side of the ball, ever. Hue Jackson called the plays in 2011, so even if Saunders stays (which he probably won't) it's not like it's the same offense.

He took that defense into the playoffs.
While technically true, this statement is very deceiving. He took that defense to 8-8. The egg laying Raiders and Chargers took them to the playoffs.I don't know whether this guy will be a good HC, but there is some serious inflation of Denver's 2011 D in the comments I'm reading surrounding this hire.

I don't give a flying crap about what transpired in one year with Allen running a defense.

Taking a teams performance, on one side of the ball, for one season, and using that to decide if Allen is qualified to be a head coach......no way.

If we are going to completely generalize, and over-analyze Denver's 2011 defense, the thing I think about is that the Tebow-led offense, in the 2nd half of the year, put massive pressure on that defense for 3 quarters every dang week, and the team was still in a position to steal wins in the 4th quarter. I don't care who they were playing, of if the Chargers and Raiders choked, that defense played well. Period.

But one season as a DC doesn't really tell us if Allen can be a HC.

Can he hire a solid staff? Does he communicate with the players well, and do those players respect him? Can he lead men? Can he outcoach other head coaches? Can he make solid gameday adjustments? Can he put together a gameplan?

Those are the real question, and none of Denver's friggin defensive numbers from last year will answer of them.

Who did people want? Winston Moss? The guy that oversaw the defense that got healthy, then regressed? I would have been fine with Moss, but his 2011 wasn't his finest moment as a coach, OK?

I am a fan, and I am excited about MccKenzie, and he gets the benefit of the doubt from me until he has shown he doesn't know what he is doing. Same thing with Allen.

Users who are viewing this thread