What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Oakland Raiders 2012 Regular Season Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Amy Trask is in charge of the non football side of operations. Its the non football side of operations that let Herrera go, not McKenzie. Amy isnt going anywhere.

Really good article here about our compensatory picks

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/

When I orginally did my own research last offseason, Gradkowski hadnt signed yet so I excluded him and later forgot about him in my more recent calculations. I also completely missed Thomas Howard who had a decent comeback year with the Bengals. Those two guys improve my previous estimates.

The article subtracts FAs signed starting at closest value to FAs lost and gives an estimate of a 3rd for Asomugha, a 4th for Miller, and a 5th for Howard. Gallery and Gradkowski were cancelled out in the article by Boss and Heyer. IMO its still possible to get an additional 7th round pick in this scenario because Gallery and Gradkowski could still be calculated to be slightly more valueable than Boss and Heyer. The potential to get a 5th round pick for Howard who I had previously dismissed as someone with no compensatory value is exciting.

While that is the most logical way to subtract the FA signings from the losses its not the only way. They could be subtracted from the top values first, bottum values first, or by a more complex formula. If subtracted from the top first, it could lower the round of the first and/or second pick awarded but we would then end up with 5 picks. That seems the least likely way of doing it, the NFL only awards so many picks each year. Subtracting from the bottum values first should reduce the number of picks to 3. Using that method may or may not create some leftover value from Boss that potentially could be used to also lower the round of the last compensatory pick. That's reasonable and creates simuliar results to the ones in the article. The difference is because Boss's value is subtracted from Howard's instead of Gallery's. A more complex method is certainly possible but it would take insane research of past picks awarded just to guess at it.

I'm expecting 3 picks (before I projected 2 or 3) with a slight possiblity of a 4th pick after round 7. I'm expecting one at the end of round 3, one either round 4 or 5, and one either round 5 or 6. The reason I continue to be cautious of the 4th round expectation is because Miller played so little this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Routt to KC.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7594856/ex-oakland-raiders-cb-stanford-routt-joins-kansas-city-chiefs
Let's see how many flags are thrown against him in Red and Yellow. My guess is at least a 30% decline due to jersey color alone.

It's a good deal for Routt who escaped with his guaranteed loot ($20M) the Raiders are still paying him. It's a good deal for KC as Routt isn't elite, but he's taking an unfair amount of backlash because of his bloated contract numbers. Flowers/Routt will be one of the better backfield tandems and they get the Raiders to pay almost half of his 2012 salary. Too bad Al Davis chose to overpay him that ludicrous contract. Can't go back in time. It was a terrible deal, and Routt having a poor 2011 season kinda sealed his fate with the Raiders. McKenzie made the right call. But so did KC in fortifying their backfield. Good reasonably priced deal on their part. I am skeptical the Raiders will be able to clear enough cap room to make a similar splash for one of the premier free agent corners on the market. Right now, it looks like Chimdi, DVD, and maybe Huff if he's kept to compete for the position. We need at least one more, probably 2 good FA corners. I'd say that is the priority in this free agency.

It's a good deal for Routt who escaped with his guaranteed loot ($20M) the Raiders are still paying him. It's a good deal for KC as Routt isn't elite, but he's taking an unfair amount of backlash because of his bloated contract numbers. Flowers/Routt will be one of the better backfield tandems and they get the Raiders to pay almost half of his 2012 salary. Too bad Al Davis chose to overpay him that ludicrous contract. Can't go back in time. It was a terrible deal, and Routt having a poor 2011 season kinda sealed his fate with the Raiders. McKenzie made the right call. But so did KC in fortifying their backfield. Good reasonably priced deal on their part. I am skeptical the Raiders will be able to clear enough cap room to make a similar splash for one of the premier free agent corners on the market. Right now, it looks like Chimdi, DVD, and maybe Huff if he's kept to compete for the position. We need at least one more, probably 2 good FA corners. I'd say that is the priority in this free agency.
I keep on hearing Tracy Porter's name being linked to Raiders since he worked with Dennise Allen in New Orleans. He would be the kinda mid priced range player I could see them going after since he won't demand elite dollars, especially with the salary cap situation the Raiders are in.

I keep on hearing Tracy Porter's name being linked to Raiders since he worked with Dennise Allen in New Orleans. He would be the kinda mid priced range player I could see them going after since he won't demand elite dollars, especially with the salary cap situation the Raiders are in.
I wouldn't mind bringing in Porter, there is that connection with coach Allen. And he's a savvy veteran. I'd prefer they go after KC corner Brandon Carr. If they can get them both, so much the better. My pipedream wish is landing Dolphins NT Paul Soliai as he would be solidify the new base 3-4 defense. But he will be very expensive and it will take a lot of slicing and dicing to make that happen.

I'm expecting 3 picks (before I projected 2 or 3) with a slight possiblity of a 4th pick after round 7. I'm expecting one at the end of round 3, one either round 4 or 5, and one either round 5 or 6. The reason I continue to be cautious of the 4th round expectation is because Miller played so little this season.
Miller missed one game.

'Raiderfan32904 said:
'krsone21 said:
I wouldn't mind bringing in Porter, there is that connection with coach Allen. And he's a savvy veteran. I'd prefer they go after KC corner Brandon Carr. If they can get them both, so much the better. My pipedream wish is landing Dolphins NT Paul Soliai as he would be solidify the new base 3-4 defense. But he will be very expensive and it will take a lot of slicing and dicing to make that happen.
I agree, I would love it if we could land Porter, Carr, & Soliai, but I don't think we could afford all three unfortunetly.

Apologize for the long post. But this was a pretty candid interview with Carson Palmer that is encouraging. Despite all the cap issues and all the roster turnover, Palmer likes the young nucleus of the team and is committed to earning a championship, not just the playoffs. I know, easier said than done, but he's a guy that doesn't need the money and he's putting aside all the incredible changes going on around him and working his butt off to lead the team. Hopefully there are others with his committment. I think I am becoming a Carson Palmer fan. :thumbup:

Palmer speaks for first time since season ended

By Steve Corkran

Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 at 3:42 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders starting quarterback Carson Palmer has kept a low profile since the season ended. He spoke publicly Wednesday for the first time since the man who engineered a controversial trade for him, coach Hue Jackson, got fired in January.

Among other things, Palmer says he is “happy” with the Raiders, that he intends to meet with the team’s wide receivers in March and that the Raiders are close to being a “championship” team.

Here is the entire transcript of Palmer’s interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio, with former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon and Adam Schein posing the questions:

Q: Your thoughts on the change of Hue Jackson to Dennis Allen?

Palmer: It was tough. Myself and a lot of guys on the team were close with Hue, and good friends, and looked up to Hue in a lot of different ways. It’s going to be different. It sounds like things are really changing in a lot of different areas and going in a number of different directions, so it will be exciting and this team will be ready to roll once the offseason kicks off in April.

Q: Dennis Allen said you are an exceptional quarterback, what goes through your mind when you hear that?

Palmer: It’s nice to hear somebody sing your praises, obviously, and now, from here, I gotta go out and prove that and hopefully exceed his expectations this season.

Q: A chance to sit down, talk to Reggie McKenzie or Dennis Allen about the different direction they’re taking this organization?

Palmer: Not really. I talked to Reggie McKenzie a couple of days after he’d been hired, just more of a kind of meet and greet, and I talked to coach Allen once on the phone and he’s very energetic. I know he’s very excited at this opportunity and I’m excited to see what he brings to the team.

Q: Were you concerned when they let Hue go? You were in a wild situation with the Bengals, the retirement, come off the coach, Jackson trades for you, then fired . . . . now a new coach, new offensive coordinator. Can you describe last 365 days?

Palmer: No. Not in a word or one sentence even. It’s wild and I wouldn’t say concerned but I think you’re always concerned a little bit about your job especially when a new guy comes in, but at the end of the day, I’ve been busting my butt, I’m going to go in, and as soon as I get a chance to learn this offense, I’ve been trying to get a playbook and film, but there’s a lot of league-wide restrictions on that. So I haven’t even had a chance to get any information from the organization just because there’s some loop holes and different things when you change regimes. I’ve been champing at the bit and all I can really do is get prepared and be a leader, and be a veteran, and help out the young guys and take care of my job and the reset of it, it falls how it falls. Concern isn’t the right word, I’m just excited at getting an opportunity and looking forward to the future.

Q: How are things going to be different this year with an entire offseason, get a chance to work with Greg Knapp, your plans between now and minicamp?

Palmer: I’m getting ready to head up to L.A. to train. The guy I’ve been training with for the last seven or eight years has a gym up there and that’s where I spend the offseason, getting ready with him. I’ve been in contact with all my receivers and even guys like Marcel Reece and Kevin Boss, David Ausberry, some younger guys that Raider fans haven’t heard of that they should be excited about. We’ll get together in L.A. and have some throwing sessions set up before we get back to Oakland and before we get the playbook, before we get to 7-on-7 sessions and the team drills that we’re going to be during OTAs and minicamps. We have a chance to get our feet and just kind of get back in the swing of things before we’re out in front of the coaches and in front of the organization, just to kind of get the rust off and get ready for those OTAs. We don’t to just show up at OTAs and say, all right, let’s go, we want to be prepared and at least somewhat on the same page or as close to being on the same page as we can be heading into OTAs.

Q: Had some difficulties in 2010, some big interception games, receivers who didn’t always run the right routes, in 2011, tough to judge, moments of brilliance and frustration . . where are you right now as a quarterback? Where are you in terms of your health?

Palmer: Health, 100 percent. Most quarterbacks this time of year, you’re feeling probably as good as you’re going to feel, I probably feel as good as I’m going to feel in all of 2012 and 2013. I was fortunate to come out of the season without any offseason surgeries or any big rehab concerns. I only played in a handful of games so I didn’t have a chance to get beat up or worn down. We finished the year at the O in front of our fans and didn’t finish the way we wanted playing against the Chargers, but after that, I felt as good as I’ve ever felt in my entire career at the end of the season because I only played barely half the season.

Q: Look back on last year, what could have been? Five games to go, right there with a shot . . . what happened last five weeks?

Palmer: What didn’t happen? Obviously losing Darren McFadden was a huge blow. He was such a huge part of the offense. Part of the passing game, part of the running game and pass protection-wise. So losing him was obviously a big blow, and Jacoby Ford, we lost for all those games. Denarius Moore, who I could not be more excited about, we lost him for a handful of games. It’s no excuse, but when you sit back and play the `what could have been’ game, and you think about losing those guys for those games, that was obviously a big blow to us. But to see a guy like Michael Bush come in and have the year he had in a backup role, and to see the way we finished, you’ve got to take your hat off to coach Jackson and the job he did offensively, and coach Al Saunders, because I think we finished in the top seven or eight or nine in offense, even with losing all those guys, so you can really get excited about the future when you think of it that way. Getting some guys healthy, and a guy I mentioned, David Ausberry, a tight end, just a freak athlete and a guy that can do so many different things. You get him back, you get Taiwan Jones, another rookie that was injured in those games, and just an explosive player that you’ve got to get excited about the things he can do with the football. There are a lot of things to get excited about and the future is definitely bright.

Q: How close are the Raiders to being a playoff team, when you talk to Reggie, coach Allen, did you talk about the this offseason and the direction, about the cap issues, what is the direction for the Raiders and how close are you to being a playoff team?

Palmer: I can’t speak on the direction of the organization, that’s definitely Mr. McKenzie and the organization and the people upstairs at the facility. That’s what they’re looking at and figuring out right now. But as far as being close to a playoff team, I think it’s more than that. I think we’re close to a championship team. There’s a lot of work that needs to be put in and a lot of hurdles that we need to get over, but I think we need to be heading into this season thinking more than just playoffs and trying to get to the playoffs and trying to win the AFC West. I think it’s bigger than that, and we definitely have a lot of pieces to the puzzle than being more than just a playoff team.

Q: As far as talent at wide receiver position, are you convinced there’s enough talent there? Some youth, inexperience . . . is that an area you need to revisit before free agency and the draft?

Palmer: Oh, I definitely think there’s definitely enough talent. You can always get better, having a veteran obviously never hurts, but there’s definitely the talent on the room. You look at Denarius Moore, what he did as a rookie, and he missed a handful of games, was amazing, not statistically or the numbers, but the big plays that he made in big games. Momentum changing plays. Big plays in big games. You look at what he can bring to the table and just talking to him, like I have this offseason and just hearing the excitement of his voice, and the disappointment in his voice that he didn’t do more, couldn’t do more. Those things like that are what excite me. That’s a big time receiver in the making, and he’s only going to get better. Then you look at Darrius Heyward-Bey, had the best year of his career. Jacoby Ford was hurt a lot but made some tremendous plays. And then Louis Murphy, a guy that was the leading receiver on the team in years past and didn’t have the year he wanted. And is just hungry and anticipating a big year for himself. So there’s a handful of guys that you get real excited about, that need a lot of work and a lot of polishing, but I don’t think it’s a concern or an area of concern or should be an area of concern because we’re close at that position.

Q: You sound energized, how much did you need a change of scenery?

Palmer: I don’t want a change of scenery, I’m happy where I am.

Q: No, how much did you need it from Cincinnati?

Palmer: I think that happens in a lot of people’s careers. I was a point in my career where it needed to happen, obviously. But to be where I am and to be where I am in my career, going into year 10, having the pieces to the puzzle that the organization has, and going through a change which is obviously always difficult, but I couldn’t be more excited. Playing an abbreviated season like I did and seeing how close we were after such turmoil throughout the entire year, the entire team, not just myself. I’m just excited. I can’t wait to get going. We start April 2, and April 2 can’t get here soon enough.

Q: Left an organization that has had some issues in the past in terms of leadership and accountability, you go to Oakland, which has had its own issues with dysfunction. Your first impression about Oakland and what has to change now that you’ve been there and had a chance to look under the hood?

Palmer: My first impression was a great one. Right when I got there, you feel within the organization that there’s an attitude of we’ll do whatever it takes to win, it doesn’t matter. It’s not about money, it’s not about anything other than winning. That was my first impression and from the few talks I’ve had with a couple of coaches, it sounds like there’s been some real good meetings, there’s been some real good opportunities within the organization to get together and talk about what has to happen, what needs to change, what doesn’t need to happen or doesn’t need to change. So it sounds like things are really coming together for the best. Obviously when Mr. Davis passed, losing him was such a huge blow to the organization. He was such a huge part of the organization and involved in so many things, and when you lose that leader, it was the right decision to bring in a GM and bring in a new leader, and I’m just excited to see where the new GM Reggie McKenzie is going to take this thing.

Q: Do you feel any pressure to live up to that trade?

Palmer: Oh, absolutely. Absolutely, without a doubt. Playing the position of quarterback, there’s always pressure, and there’s always outside pressures, but with myself, I’ve always put more inside pressure, more internal pressure that I put on myself is bigger than anything I heard or felt from the outside. With the trade and with all that’s gone on throughout my career, I feel a tremendous amount of pressure and I love it. That’s why I started playing quarterback at a young age, the ball’s in your hands every single play. There’s only two players that can say that, and that’s the center and the quarterback and I’ve always relished being in that position and just all the little things that come long with it. The expectations from a leadership role, the expectations from performance and obviously the outside pressures that come with the position.

Q: New offensive coordinator, what type of changes do you anticipate with Greg Knapp?

Palmer: I don’t know. I can’t wait to find out. I’ve been trying to get my hands on a playbook, but like I said before there’s some loopholes with the new regime coming in and all these new CBA, NFLPA, all that stuff that’s been going on the last year.

Q: Is there anything that prohibits you from calling Matt Schaub, who was with Knapp in Houston? No rules against calling buddies around the league.

Palmer: Him, and Matt Leinart, and Kevin Walter are all buddies and I’ve talked to all them, and everybody’s raved about him. I’ve talked to a handful of guys that are still with the Raiders who played for him when he was with the Raiders a couple years back. I’ve asked around plenty, and I’ve gotten my hands on some 2010 film, some older Texans film, where they were kind of doing some of the same stuff with the long play action stuff and what excites me about it is it sounds like it’s a lot of play action, a lot of boots, and throwing the ball down the field, and using, it sounds like we’re going to use that speed we have on the outside and try to throw the ball over people’s heads. We did that quite a bit last year and had quite a bit of success throwing the ball deep and it sounds like it’s going to be some of the same stuff and I’m excited to see the direction of the run game. It sounds like it’s going to be a zone running scheme and there’s definitely a lot of excitement, not just myself, exchanging words with Tyvon Branch, hopefully we get him back, he’s a safety that had a great year and he’s had a great career in Oakland and I know he’s excited about some of the changes on defense. I keep saying it, but it’s an exciting time.

Raiders have more than $145 million in contracts

February 28, 2012, 8:59 pm

Paul Gutierrez

It was one of the most endearing quotes from new Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie after he introduced Dennis Allen as the team's incoming head coach.

"We've got some contracts," McKenzie said on Jan. 30, "that are kind of out of whack."

It was also one of his most enduring quotes.

Figures obtained by CSNBayArea.com show exactly where the Raiders sit when it comes to money earmarked for the salary cap -- Oakland has $145,774,984 in player contracts that currently count toward the 2012 cap. Subtract the reported $3.23 million the Raiders can roll over from the 2011 books, and they have $142,514,984 devoted to the 2012 cap.

Keep in mind, the cap for 2012 has yet to be established or announced, but it is thought to be similar to last year's cap of $120.375 million, if slightly higher. Which means the Raiders are possibly sitting more than $22 million over the cap.

Teams must be in compliance with the new cap -- whatever that figure may be -- by March 13, the start of the new league year, when free agency and trades begin.

"In my discussions and viewing the cap situation," McKenzie said at the time, "we should be fine."

Some reports have the Raiders "expected" to be $11 million over the cap when that figure is announced. Turns out it might actually be double that number. Because simply cutting players might not do the trick by itself, not when released cornerback Stanford Routt still counts $10,785,334 towards the Raiders cap in 2012 as "dead money."

So who else is a prime candidate to have their contract re-structured or even find himself on the chopping block? A look at the salary cap figures reveals 16 players that have cap numbers of at least $3.3 million and might want to sit near their phone over the next few weeks…

Player 2012 Salary Cap Number (in millions)

TE Kevin Boss $4.75

OG Cooper Carlisle $3.3

LB Aaron Curry $5.75.75

DT John Henderson $4.75

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey $8.159

FS Michael Huff $9.82.875

PK Sebastian Janikowski $4.5

CB Chris Johnson $4.5

DT Tommy Kelly $8.874.266

P Shane Lechler $4.9

LB Rolando McClain $3.64

RB Darren McFadden $9.478.833

QB Carson Palmer $12.5

CB Stanford Routt $10.785.334

DT Richard Seymour $14.068

LB Kamerion Wimbley $11.85

Keep in mind that cap number isnt the amount that would be saved by cutting a player nor is it the actual 2012 salary. Those are usually 3 different amounts. Sometimes very different.

I know some people in here were hoping that the retention of Saunders indicated Knapp would not necessarily to return to the zone blocking scheme but the Raiders are officially returning to the zone blocking scheme.

"I was here last in 2008, and Darren McFadden was a rookie that year," Knapp said. "I'm excited to get back with him. He really fits our run scheme well, as far as the zone scheme which I'll be implementing with our coaches. That's a great starting point for me."

I know some people in here were hoping that the retention of Saunders indicated Knapp would not necessarily to return to the zone blocking scheme but the Raiders are officially returning to the zone blocking scheme.

"I was here last in 2008, and Darren McFadden was a rookie that year," Knapp said. "I'm excited to get back with him. He really fits our run scheme well, as far as the zone scheme which I'll be implementing with our coaches. That's a great starting point for me."
Great, this was the same scheme that gave him turf toe issues and two miserable seasons to open his career in the NFL. I can't tell you how many times I saw DMC slip when trying to make the "one cut" in the ZBS.

Great, this was the same scheme that gave him turf toe issues and two miserable seasons to open his career in the NFL. I can't tell you how many times I saw DMC slip when trying to make the "one cut" in the ZBS.
I don't understand people's reaction to this news. I love the fact that they are going zone blocking this year.Look what Foster has done in that system. And about 400 backs in Denver over the years. DMC is a specimen. He looked so dammed good the first several games this year before he got hurt. A total game changer when used properly.

The only concern I have about DMC is his health. If he is good to go, he's going to shatter records in the ZBS this year. He may catch 80 balls as well. He just needs to stay healthy...

Just my 2 cents.

I don't understand people's reaction to this news. I love the fact that they are going zone blocking this year.Look what Foster has done in that system. And about 400 backs in Denver over the years. DMC is a specimen. He looked so dammed good the first several games this year before he got hurt. A total game changer when used properly.

The only concern I have about DMC is his health. If he is good to go, he's going to shatter records in the ZBS this year. He may catch 80 balls as well. He just needs to stay healthy...

Just my 2 cents.
It was widely reported that DMC broke out under Hue Jackson in large part because Hue Jax asked DMC what the problem was his first two seasons and DMC responded that it was the blocking scheme. They switched to power blocking as a result of this conversation in year 3 and DMC was off to the races. I love DMC's talent, but so far in his college and pro career he has succeeded tremendously when running behind a PBS and flopped miserably when running behind a ZBS.

I'll obviously be rooting for him no matter what next year, but he won't be on my fantasy team given this news and continued uncertainty with his foot.

McFadden looked pretty good his rookie year when Knapp was here. I do think Hue's system worked to McFadden's favor but it doesnt mean DMac wont do well with Knapp. Knapp and Cable didnt really see eye to eye.

Other rumors are that Wimbley's agent was told he had to restructure or get cut and that Satele wont be resigned. Another hole or two to plug.

Listening to Sirius it sure sounds like the Raiders are in cap hell. Wimbly is a $9M hit against the he is cut IIRC. And Seymore counts somewhere around 15M this year. Not good.

Same old story each year. The Raiders will be fine cap wise.

McFadden looked pretty good his rookie year when Knapp was here. I do think Hue's system worked to McFadden's favor but it doesnt mean DMac wont do well with Knapp. Knapp and Cable didnt really see eye to eye.Other rumors are that Wimbley's agent was told he had to restructure or get cut and that Satele wont be resigned. Another hole or two to plug.
Isn't Satele best suited in the ZBS?

Just my 2 cents.
:goodposting: McFadden was also running behind a much weaker line in those days of Cable's ZBS. With Cornell Green and Mario Henderson. The current group is much more versatile. That group was an invitation to meet at the QB. Also, with JaMarcus as QB, there wasn't the passing threat that DMC has now. It's scary to think that even with all the injuries the offense had last year, they were top 10 in most categories, and then think about the fact that DMC and Palmer never got the shot to together.

So, better O-line, better coaches (includes the retaining of Al Saunders), more mature DMC who runs less upright as before, above avg vet QB, a quickly maturing group of wideouts. And the most important factor. Having a playmaker at QB at the same time on the field with DMC. Wow! Those of you who aren't seeing the dynamic are just doom & gloomers who read all the Raider critics and lap up that weak sauce.

Of course, it always is going to depend on DMC's health, but latest reports are he's ready to go right now (that's not necessarily saying he's 100%), but we'll take what we can get.

It's gonna be fun to watch, you all will see. :banned:

Another guy that has to be restructured or else is Kamerion Wimbley. It was reported that he's on the books for the upcoming season at $11M. $6.5M is guaranteed, and another $4.5M if he's on the roster later this month. But the real news is that there's a clause that guarantees him another $17.5M for future years. My link

Kam had 7 sacks, was very good at getting QB pressures, but other than a 4 sack game against a backup lineman, doesn't deserve near what he's getting paid, and can't cover worth a ####. He's already said he won't take a cut. He's as good as gone. Curry is another we have to cut or restructure soon. The LB corps are going to be remade soon. Kam's contract is the poster child of what GM Reggie Mackenzie dubbed "outta wack" contracts. He needs to shown the door.

McFadden looked pretty good his rookie year when Knapp was here. I do think Hue's system worked to McFadden's favor but it doesnt mean DMac wont do well with Knapp. Knapp and Cable didnt really see eye to eye.Other rumors are that Wimbley's agent was told he had to restructure or get cut and that Satele wont be resigned. Another hole or two to plug.
Isn't Satele best suited in the ZBS?
No, that's false. I've said that Satele looks like a zbs lineman but I also said he struggled when we used it before. Everyone has always assumed he is and once people start saying something on the internet everybody and their brothers start repeating it. That's why I always try to form my own opinion. Satele has done better with the Raiders in the simpler power blocking scheme. Maybe with more experience he could end up doing better in a zbs but it wasnt the case before. I wasnt sure if we were going to bring him back to try the zbs with him again or not. Since Knapp isnt pushing to bring him back then I'll believe Satele really isnt suited for the zbs.

Wimbley seemed to want to hit free agency last year which is why Davis tagged him and later made this out of whack contract in order to lower his 2011 cap hit. I dont expect him to take a huge paycut but if we still offer him more than he's likely to get on the market he might redo his deal. The problem is he's still going to get that 6.5 million if we cut him and that gives him some leverage in the negotiation. We want Wimbley back, we really do. I have a feeling he'd rather hit free agency though.

Franchising Branch shows me that they aren't too worried about the cap, and that they are trying to sign him long term.

Wimbley? If he isn't willing to restructure, see ya. I don't care if we have 7 mill in dead cap space, it'll save future money, and free up 4 more. He is a nice pass rusher, and I want to keep him, but not as a OLB. He always should have been a DE.

Tommy Kelly, Henderson, Curry, will all free up some money soon. Maybe even Heyward-Bey. I think Curry will renegotiate, I think he wants to be in Oakland, and knows he's not getting 5 mill per from anyone.

Of course, this all depends on if Allen wants him. We have no idea how the new staff views our defensive players.

Lotta info from Gutierrez here:

NFL Network is reporting the Raiders will cut linebacker Kamerion Wimbley if he does not agree to a restructure of his contract, figures obtained by CSNBayArea.com seemingly show the savings against this year's NFL salary cap would be relatively minimal -- somewhere between $1.95 million and $4.5 million.

The true savings would come in future years.

[RELATED: Raiders have more than $145 million in contracts]

Because while Pro Football Talk has reported that $6.5 million of Wimbley's $11-million base salary for 2012 is already guaranteed, the remaining $4.5 million becomes guaranteed if he is still on the roster on March 17. Plus, if Wimbley is still on the roster on that date, his entire $11 million base salary for 2013 becomes guaranteed, as well as $2 million of his $10 million salary for 2014. His $11.5 base salary for 2015 reportedly is not guaranteed.

In essence, and as the contract is currently structured, Wimbley is guaranteed $24 million over the next three seasons if he is on the Raiders' roster on March 17.

Cutting Wimbley before March 17 would save the Raiders $17.5 million going forward.

[RELATED: Report -- Raiders to place franchise tag on S Tyvon Branch]

Wimbley also has cap numbers of $11.85, $11.85, $10.85 and $12.25 million in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, respectively.

What is still floating are Wimbley's "prorated amounts" of $850,000 per year, hence the discrepancy in savings a cut of Wimbley would mean for the Raiders this season. For example, sans the $6.5 million already guaranteed Wimbley, cutting him would have saved the Raiders $8.45 million against the cap this year.

[RELATED: Which big contracts will Raiders restructure?]

According to Adam Caplan of thesidelineview.com, "The reason why the Raiders set up the structure of the extension he signed last August was to get him off his franchise (tag) salary of over $11.3 million for 2011. They were able to lower his base salary from that total to just $750,000. And by agreeing to do this, Wimbley would pocket roughly $300,000 extra. Agents and/or players won’t normally agree to a restructuring (more or less a favor in some instances) unless there’s something, albeit small, in it for them. And they shouldn’t. Why blame the agent or player for a good deal for them but bad for the team? The team is the side that writes the check(s)."

Consider: the Raiders currently have $142,514,984 devoted to the cap, which has yet to be announced, though if it is last year's figure of $120.375 million, Oakland is more than $22 million over. The deadline to get under the capo is March 13 at 1 p.m. PT.

Further examination of the Raiders' budget shows approximately how much the team could save against the cap in 2012 by cutting certain players…

Wimbley -- $1,900,000-$4,500,000

LB Aaron Curry -- $5,757,500

FS Michael Huff -- $4,342,500 (roster bonus of $4 million due on March 15)

DT Tommy Kelly -- $3,125,730

TE Kevin Boss -- $2,500,000

DT John Henderson -- $4,000,000

CB Chris Johnson -- $3,500,000

RG Cooper Carlisle -- $2,700,000

FS Hiram Eugene -- $2,450,000

We save 17 mill bu cutting CJ, Curry, henderson, and Huff. We ain't in cap hell, we just haven't trimmed the fat yet. I actually hope we can re-negotiate Huff, but if we have to, we can carry that number.

Here’s a good explanation of why Mark Davis has to shed money to preserve his operating cash-flow and how it all reached a tipping point that had to be corrected. Even as Al Davis was writing these ridiculous “outta wack” contracts, he was selling off significant chunks of the franchise, leaving no margin for error to maintain operational control for his son’s inheritance.

Cash Flow From Operations For NFL Teams

NFL teams try to fund their day-to-day operations exclusively through shared and unshared revenues. Put simply, they try to make enough money from football activities to fund player salaries, coaching salaries, travel expenses, and all other day-to-day operations.

On average, an NFL team will generate approximately $15-20 million in cash flow a year. This means that the NFL team is taking in $15-20 million more cash revenues than they are putting out cash expenses. But in the case of the Oakland Raiders, cash flow from operations is thought to be in the range of $5-8 million per year. Cash flow from operations for the Raiders has been compromised due to low unshared local revenues and high player salary expenses.

Al Davis and Cash Flow From Financing

In 2007, Al Davis sold a 20% ownership stake in the Raiders to three east coast financiers, David Goldring, David Abrams, and Paul Leff, for $150 million. A portion of these proceeds were used for estate tax planning. But a significant amount of this money was used to finance player salaries, including big money contracts in 2008 and 2009 for Tommy Kelly (seven-year, $50.5 million), Shane Lechler (four-year, $16 million), and Nnamdi Asomugha (three-year, $45 million), all of whom became the highest paid players at their respective positions at the times of the contract signings.

Al Davis continued to spend lavishly for 2010 and 2011, including new contracts to Richard Seymour (two-year, $30 million), Kamerion Wimbley (five-year, $48 million), and Routt (three-year, $31.5 million). The Raiders used the financing activities of 2007 to partially fund these contracts rather than only using cash flow from operations, a concerning situation for any business.

Mark Davis Refocuses On Cash Flow From Operations

Mark Davis does not have the luxury to sell portions of the team to finance large player contracts. The Davis family (Mark Davis and his mother, Carole Davis) currently owns 47% of the Raiders. Per NFL bylaws, the Davis family must own 30% of the team to maintain operational control. Since estate tax considerations will likely require Davis to sell close to 17% of the team upon his mother's death, Mark Davis can ill afford to continue to finance daily operations by selling off chunks of the team.

Accordingly, he has already started the process of using only cash flow from operations to run day-to-day operations. The decision to cut Routt saved the Raiders $5 million in real cash expenditures that would have been due as a roster bonus. For a team like the Raiders that would have generated only $5-8 million in cash flow for 2012, the release of Routt has the potential to almost double the team's cash flow situation. My link

Wow. Fascinating and sad at the same time. Any doubt now that Al was actively hurting the Raiders in his final years?

There was a no cap year and Davis took advantage of it. When he orginally signed guys in 2011 like Seymour and Routt, the cap situation wasnt known and it could have been a no cap season. I think he was hoping it would be a no cap season and banked on it. When that didnt happen and the 2011 cap was announced and even below the 2010 cap, he had to restructure some of those contracts, hurting the 2012 cap.

Al truly believed in the just win motto. He wasnt trying to make himself a fat profit, he wanted to win. He knew his time was short and he wanted to see the Raiders win again at all costs.

As far as the cash flow, the lack of a new modern stadium has been killing the team. The Raiders were trying to get one in California but nobody would give them a new stadium. All these other teams got new stadiums, I think some teams have gotten two during the time Al was trying to get one. The Raiders are still trying and still cant find a place in California willing to give them a modern home. Its an ongoing issue. The Chargers are having a simuliar problem. The Rams left the state for simuliar reasons. The 49ers look like they are going to get a new home first. Maybe we'll be next... maybe.

As far as the cash flow, the lack of a new modern stadium has been killing the team. The Raiders were trying to get one in California but nobody would give them a new stadium. All these other teams got new stadiums, I think some teams have gotten two during the time Al was trying to get one. The Raiders are still trying and still cant find a place in California willing to give them a modern home. Its an ongoing issue. The Chargers are having a simuliar problem. The Rams left the state for simuliar reasons. The 49ers look like they are going to get a new home first. Maybe we'll be next... maybe.
No one would give Al Davis a new stadium after his behavior during the return to Oakland, which not only didn't get him the stadium he wanted, it screwed up the stadium for the A's, too (and hosed Oakland taxpayers for years, and still is doing so). The chance becomes non-zero now that Al is gone.

Kirwin is continuing to say the Raiders cap problems are going to result in a product that lacks quality and depth on the field next year. I am absolutely shocked at some of the cap numbers of some marginal players on this team. Wimbly and Curry in particular. The Raiders are going to have a crap load of dead cap money on the payroll this year. I am somewhat surprised they didn't cut Seymore as that would have dropped 7+ Million off the payroll. Now his number is something like 15 million this coming season. Crazy!

Whatever Davis' motives as to the payroll it was short sighted on it is going to so on the field for the next couple of years.

:hot:

People also need to realize that 18 of the 22 million over the cap number is coming from Palmer and Curry... 2 guys traded for mid season last year. Another 10 or so million is coming from Routt even though he was cut.

The situation isnt as bad as it sounds. Palmer and Curry will likely receive extensions that lower their cap number. We can do this with Seymour as well. I'm only expecting about 3-4 more players to be cut and only 1-2 of those to be key players. Guys like Johnson, Eugene, maybe Henderson, and possibly Wimbley or Huff if they dont restructure. Wimbley being the most significant of those. Wimbley is what you want in a 3-4 OLB/DE which is why New England would love to get their hands on him.

People also need to realize that 18 of the 22 million over the cap number is coming from Palmer and Curry... 2 guys traded for mid season last year. Another 10 or so million is coming from Routt even though he was cut. The situation isnt as bad as it sounds. Palmer and Curry will likely receive extensions that lower their cap number. We can do this with Seymour as well. I'm only expecting about 3-4 more players to be cut and only 1-2 of those to be key players. Guys like Johnson, Eugene, maybe Henderson, and possibly Wimbley or Huff if they dont restructure. Wimbley being the most significant of those. Wimbley is what you want in a 3-4 OLB/DE which is why New England would love to get their hands on him.
I hope you are right. When I listen to Kirwin talk about the Raider's cap situation it really depresses me. He compares it to the Titan's cap situation a few years back that dragged that organization into a real tail spin for a couple of years. I am wondering how competitive they are able to be in free agency even if they manage to get under the cap.

'32 Counter Pass said:
'UnknownCoach said:
People also need to realize that 18 of the 22 million over the cap number is coming from Palmer and Curry... 2 guys traded for mid season last year. Another 10 or so million is coming from Routt even though he was cut. The situation isnt as bad as it sounds. Palmer and Curry will likely receive extensions that lower their cap number. We can do this with Seymour as well. I'm only expecting about 3-4 more players to be cut and only 1-2 of those to be key players. Guys like Johnson, Eugene, maybe Henderson, and possibly Wimbley or Huff if they dont restructure. Wimbley being the most significant of those. Wimbley is what you want in a 3-4 OLB/DE which is why New England would love to get their hands on him.
I hope you are right. When I listen to Kirwin talk about the Raider's cap situation it really depresses me. He compares it to the Titan's cap situation a few years back that dragged that organization into a real tail spin for a couple of years. I am wondering how competitive they are able to be in free agency even if they manage to get under the cap.
I think you have to assume that Carson Palmer is...Happy to be back in California.Already very well off financially.Views the short term (3-4 years) with the Raiders as his final shot at NFL glory.I would be very surprised if he does not does not restructure into a much more cap friendly deal.

Huff sticking around? DB tweets about talk with Allen

March 2, 2012, 4:38 pm

Paul Guiterrez

Despite signs the Raiders might be willing to move on from free safety Michael Huff and his contract, what with the team announcing it was going to use the franchise tag on strong safety Tyvon Branch, Huff on Friday tweeted a signal he intended to stick around Oakland.

"Had a great talk with D.A.," Huff tweeted, an obvious reference to new coach Dennis Allen, "and I love what he has planned for us on D."

Doesn't sound like a man about to be cut, now does it?

Rather, it sounds like a player possibly willing to restructure his mammoth contract, signed during training camp last year.

Huff is reportedly due to receive a $4 million roster bonus on March 15. And according to figures obtained by CSNBayArea.com, Huff has base salaries of $4 million with cap numbers of $9.828.750 for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons, respectively.

There have also been rumblings of Huff, who had not missed a game in his five-year career until he missed five with a myriad of injuries last season, moving to cornerback.

"That question is to be determined after we find out exactly who we have on the team to find out what our options are," Allen said last week at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. "The one thing I do know about Michael Huff is he's an extremely good athlete and he has skills athletically of a corner, and so that obviously would be an option for us. But again, we won't make any decisions along those lines until we know exactly what we got."

'footballstar said:
Any Raider fans upset that Bush was not tagged?
I'm not upset about it. The Raiders can't afford to pay two RB's lots of money when the Raiders have a much bigger need on fixing their defense.Dont' get me wrong with McFaddens history of getting injured it would be nice to be able to keep Bush, but we have bigger needs to take care of first. I'm sure we will find a decent cheaper option either in free agency or via the draft.

'footballstar said:
I'd love to have him back for back-up RB money. Franchise player, no.This was fully expected by Raider faithful. Our new GM was with the Packers for the last umpteen years. How often in recent memory have they paid legit money for RBs? Expect us to give DMC one more season to show he can stay healthy and to bring in a seventh rounder or UDFA to be the thunder to DMC's (and Taiwan Jones') lightning.Bush has the tools to be a 3-down RB somewhere, but not in Oakland with DMC around.

'footballstar said:
Like everyone else so far not upset either. Too many other needs. Bush is a good player, but he can be replaced if he will not accept backup money to stay. I also hope Taiwan Jones can get better at blocking so maybe we can see more of him.

with McKenzie's GB connections, any chance they bring in Ryan Grant on the cheap (he's an UFA, right?) as a complement to DMC?

And he can also play full-time if needed if DMC goes down (Grant looked pretty solid at the end of this past season when Starks

went down).

Seems like the perfect chance to bring in an older "just in case" vet RB to plug in for part of a season if needed.

Then the year after, rinse and repeat with the next cheap vet RB.

The key to our running game is a healthy and explosive DMC. Everything else is just a stop-gap and band-aid, so it might

as well be an inexpensive band-aid.

Rumors out there that Seymour and Huff have agreed to contract extensions saving nearly 12 million in cap space. Seymour now signed through 2013 if true.

I imagine they are still negotiating with Palmer, Curry, and hopefully Wimbley. It might be possible to restructure some other guys like DHB, Kelly, Lechler, or McFadden but those are less obvious. Will also help if Branch can agree on a long term deal before free agency begins next week. Wimbley is the biggest question mark because he hasnt shown a real desire to remain with the Raiders and has 6.5 million dollars he can walk away with which gives him a lot of leverage.

Those moves should get us under the cap by Tuesday with or without Wimbley on the roster. Then there are a few guys who might be cut to give us more room to sign free agents. The cut friendly contracts are Eugene, Chris Johnson, Henderson, and Carlisle. Curry also has a cut friendly contract but its more likely he agrees to an exension. I think Carlisle stays since we are moving back to zone blocking where he has made a name for himself. Eugene is a likely cut who could be resigned for less if desired. Henderson and Johnson are very questionable because of their health issues and age. Boss or Kelly could be a suprise cut but they are unlikely because their contracts arent as cut friendly and they are key players in good health.

Rumors out there that Seymour and Huff have agreed to contract extensions saving nearly 12 million in cap space. Seymour now signed through 2013 if true.I imagine they are still negotiating with Palmer, Curry, and hopefully Wimbley. It might be possible to restructure some other guys like DHB, Kelly, Lechler, or McFadden but those are less obvious. Will also help if Branch can agree on a long term deal before free agency begins next week. Wimbley is the biggest question mark because he hasnt shown a real desire to remain with the Raiders and has 6.5 million dollars he can walk away with which gives him a lot of leverage.Those moves should get us under the cap by Tuesday with or without Wimbley on the roster. Then there are a few guys who might be cut to give us more room to sign free agents. The cut friendly contracts are Eugene, Chris Johnson, Henderson, and Carlisle. Curry also has a cut friendly contract but its more likely he agrees to an exension. I think Carlisle stays since we are moving back to zone blocking where he has made a name for himself. Eugene is a likely cut who could be resigned for less if desired. Henderson and Johnson are very questionable because of their health issues and age. Boss or Kelly could be a suprise cut but they are unlikely because their contracts arent as cut friendly and they are key players in good health.
I have read that McKenzie likes Curry, so I don't think he will be cut, but I can see a possible restructuring or extension of his contract. This is getting interesting the closer March 13th gets.

Wimbley remains a key focus and perhaps our biggest FA aquisition, if you look at his impending deparature because of cap issues as a sure thing. He's versatile in both the 3-4 and 4-3, and is excellent at pressuring the QB. Effective pass rushers are a commodity in the NFL and are paid a premium around the league. It would be a coup if we can keep him somehow.

Wimbley has to know that he is overpaid, and understand that if he is cut, he'll take his nice $6.5M and sign elsewhere for a decent contract. But he won't make up all the crazy guaranteed money in his previous contract. That to me is the Raiders leverage point. If they are able to strike a deal where Wimbley spreads his cap hit out while eliminating or reducing balloon roster bonuses, his restructure could lead us to be able to go after a key FA acquisition like a CB or DL that is needed to reshape the team for the transition to the 3-4 defense.

Wimbley's a good fit, and I hope he stays. I think Reggie Mackenzie understands that the near term priority is strengthening the defense. It's good to see both Seymour and Huff restructure. Seymour's move tells me that he's not just here for the paycheck. That he wants to be a Raider. When he came over from New England, it was not so clear. Glad that Huff restructured because he clearly didn't live up to his contract year play level. Huff has always been a good soldier, and he's versatile. Willing to man the corner, but will probably be free safety. Still a great insurance piece to have on the roster going into free agency and a dire need of a vet corner or two with only rookie incumbent corners and an old vet on his last legs (CJ) that's left of the backfield.

Great moves by R. Mackenzie. :thumbup: His plan isn't clear right now, and just coming into focus. But as the roster cuts and restructures are reported, and we see the impact to the cap, then we can dare to dream of being able to make a splash or two in free agency and sign some key guys needed to revamp the defense overnight. :popcorn:

It's good to see both Seymour and Huff restructure. Seymour's move tells me that he's not just here for the paycheck. That he wants to be a Raider. When he came over from New England, it was not so clear. Glad that Huff restructured because he clearly didn't live up to his contract year play level. Huff has always been a good soldier, and he's versatile.
You're giving them too much credit. They restructured. They didn't take pay cuts.This only means they count less against this year's cap and more against future years. It's just kicking the can down the road if either player doesn't perform up to their contracts and has to be cut later (likely for Seymour as he ages, and possible also for Huff since he's been average at best so far and is due for some nice pay levels in upcoming years).

Users who are viewing this thread