What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Office Pranks...anybody got any? (1 Viewer)

A colleague who spent an inordinate amount of time surfing the web and watching things on youtube came back to his desk one day to find that a rather odd sound clip played each time a new page or frame loaded in his browser. It was basically a sports announcer saying this guy's nickname.

He was not particularly tech-savvy and apparently his work-around solution was to turn the speaker volume down each time something loaded and then back up to watch the clip/video or whatever instead of doing actual work.

Update - I'm still working this mouse prank. He has no clue there's a micro-transmitter in his docking station. Every now and then, and particularly when someone is at his cube with him, I'll turn the mouse on and just gradually drag it in a random direction. He'll SLAM his mouse against the desk, often surprising/shocking whomever is meeting with him. I'll stop after the really loud slams, but if he just taps it, I just push it in a new direction.

At this point, I have him 100% convinced that slamming his mouse down fixes it for a while. This might be the most fun I've had with a work prank, just because he gets so frustrated, and the slamming sound is so rewarding when you can basically make him do it on on command.

I get bonus enjoyment too...sometimes when I hear him typing away at an e-mail, I'll turn the mouse on and just click once. He's a hunt-and-peck typer. On the random chance that his cursor is in the text field, he'll just keep typing in the wrong spot. He'll eventually look up and get all pissed off.

Sooooo much fun.

how do you get one of these microtransmitters that will control someone else's mouse?

EDIT: never mind, its in the OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a non tech guy at work tell me he noticed his area got a new printer one morning as it's right across the hall from his door. He went in there quick and hung a note on it telling users it's a voice activated printer. He laughed his ### off as people came in to make a copy and started talking and then yelling "print" or "copy" at this printer. Sad I never thought of this one cause it sounded funny as hell.

the big prankster in our office went on vacation and they tin foiled everything on his desk individually even down to each pen and pencil and then saran wrapped the whole desk and chair afterward

One time our floor did a restack to move all the offices/cubes around. One of my buddies made the mistake of taking the last couple days off before the move (he packed and labeled all his stuff ahead of time).

I decided to be helpful in his absence and pack a few extras for him - photoshopped a bunch of pictures with him and a male coworker put in frames with the rest of his family pictures, Polaroids (I know I'm old) of me messing with all his stuff (rubbing keyboard on butt, licking his pens, eating his snacks) all strategically placed next to whatever I messed with, filled out 100 moving stickers with his new office number and put them on anything extra around the office I could find (old printers and pcs, coffee machines, power cords, large plants, etc).

He was finding stuff more than a month later.

Had a non tech guy at work tell me he noticed his area got a new printer one morning as it's right across the hall from his door. He went in there quick and hung a note on it telling users it's a voice activated printer. He laughed his ### off as people came in to make a copy and started talking and then yelling "print" or "copy" at this printer. Sad I never thought of this one cause it sounded funny as hell.
:cry: :lmao:

Update - I'm still working this mouse prank. He has no clue there's a micro-transmitter in his docking station. Every now and then, and particularly when someone is at his cube with him, I'll turn the mouse on and just gradually drag it in a random direction. He'll SLAM his mouse against the desk, often surprising/shocking whomever is meeting with him. I'll stop after the really loud slams, but if he just taps it, I just push it in a new direction.

At this point, I have him 100% convinced that slamming his mouse down fixes it for a while. This might be the most fun I've had with a work prank, just because he gets so frustrated, and the slamming sound is so rewarding when you can basically make him do it on on command.

I get bonus enjoyment too...sometimes when I hear him typing away at an e-mail, I'll turn the mouse on and just click once. He's a hunt-and-peck typer. On the random chance that his cursor is in the text field, he'll just keep typing in the wrong spot. He'll eventually look up and get all pissed off.

Sooooo much fun.
:lmao:

I originally read this while waiting to get my hair cut. People around me probably thought I was insane.

:thumbup:

ETA: My cricket has made the rounds from cube to cube, and even spent a day in the lunchroom. Watching people move boxes to try to find it has been the highlight of a couple of my days. Yes, I'm 12.
:bellylaugh:

Take a screenshot of the desktop. Make screenshot the desktop wallpaper. Hide all desktop icons

Watch victim lose mind
I did this to my boss a couple years back. I also made his left mouse click a right mouse click.

I could hear him swearing up a storm getting more and more frustrated. He called the IT guy, and I caught the IT guy just before he went in his office and clued him in.

It was hilarious and my boss still says that's the best one ever to get him.
This happened to someone in my HS computer class. Except it was a young lady, spread eagle, full birthday suit. All guys school, so no girls around to make it anything serious. Easily one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. It was a good few minutes before it got taken down. I still laugh just thinking about it

WhatDoIKnow said:
:thumbup:

ETA: My cricket has made the rounds from cube to cube, and even spent a day in the lunchroom. Watching people move boxes to try to find it has been the highlight of a couple of my days. Yes, I'm 12.
That's awesome...we need to redeploy the annoyatron...we just haven't found the right victim yet. I love the cricket concept though. Ours doesn't have that mode.

Yo Mama said:
One time our floor did a restack to move all the offices/cubes around. One of my buddies made the mistake of taking the last couple days off before the move (he packed and labeled all his stuff ahead of time).

I decided to be helpful in his absence and pack a few extras for him - photoshopped a bunch of pictures with him and a male coworker put in frames with the rest of his family pictures, Polaroids (I know I'm old) of me messing with all his stuff (rubbing keyboard on butt, licking his pens, eating his snacks) all strategically placed next to whatever I messed with, filled out 100 moving stickers with his new office number and put them on anything extra around the office I could find (old printers and pcs, coffee machines, power cords, large plants, etc).

He was finding stuff more than a month later.
First, the bolded part is 1 letter away from a whole different thread... :o

Re. moving pranks...these are good ones too. We recently moved into a new HQ office and we had a little fun with the labels too. We were told before we moved that if for some reason we wanted our desk chair, to tag it, otherwise we'd get a new (presumably nicer than standard issue) chair at the new location. Our Investor Relations guy was out on the road and pre-packed, but left his unused labels on his desk...bad decision. We of course tagged his old chair, as well as a random plant, and filled an additional bin full of random stuff.

When we got to our new digs, he actually sat away from our group. We walked over there and his old, crappy chair was there. He had an intern at the time, and we noticed that after a few days, he rolled it over to the interns spot and took the interns chair. We'd wait till he left and swap them back almost every night. I hope he didn't ding the intern for doing that...

nerd prank.. edited someones registry, was able to remote open/close cd tray. person couldn't figure it out so they moved desks.. edited new computers registry , etc

nerd prank.. edited someones registry, was able to remote open/close cd tray. person couldn't figure it out so they moved desks.. edited new computers registry , etc
instruction needed for this. holy crap.
:goodposting:

I was googling CD tray pranks yesterday. I could only find ones that would open/close it at a certain time of day, or would open/close non-stop till you turned it off...being able to do this remotely would be AMAZING...I don't know if I can get into his registry though. They've got that locked down on our work PC's...you need admin rights to do it.

instruction needed for this. holy crap.
:goodposting:

I was googling CD tray pranks yesterday. I could only find ones that would open/close it at a certain time of day, or would open/close non-stop till you turned it off...being able to do this remotely would be AMAZING...I don't know if I can get into his registry though. They've got that locked down on our work PC's...you need admin rights to do it.
yeah I just want to do this to my wife at home while she's working on her computer.

We told a female project manager that we needed to order a fiber optic stretching tool in order to finish a project. She walked around asking people about this tool for a couple hours and everyone played along. When she found out that you can't stretch glass, she screamed at us and left. Women...
You should have sent her to the hardware store for some caulk.

make a craigslist ad for a coworker and send naked men to their house. or not,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/13/jason-willis-banned-from-internet_n_4783215.html

Jason Willis, 31, was barred from the Web for 30 months as part of a plea deal, after he admitted to sending men to a neighbor's house, one of whom was wearing nothing but a trench coat.

"[Willis’] idea of a joke is much different than other people's idea of a joke,” the victim, whose name was reported as "Dawn", told WTMJ.

Willis set up a fake Craigslist personal ad that sent several suitors to Dawn's door in November, 2012.

"He had my full name. He knew my address. And he said, ‘Oh, I got it off of Craigslist. You put an ad on there,'” Dawn said.

I remember my dad telling me about a time that one of his co-workers was moving to a different office. After he was about half moved in my dad and another guy would go into his new office take a box or two then walk it around the other side of the office and put it back in his old office. He said the guy moved the same box at least four times. The guy finally caught on when he had to move his computer for the second time.

**Update**

So we decided to mix things up with the guy. At this point, I can make him bang his mouse on the desk on command. My buddy and I decided to try and see if we could "retrain the monkey." Yesterday evening, I started making the cursor move around again, and I made it so banging it didn't fix it. Then we asked him what all the banging was, which got him on this rant about how his mouse was messed up and that he needed to get a new one, etc...So my buddy said, "Why don't you try cleaning it?" and took a can of compressed air and blew where the laser is. Now I'm going to take a few days off from messing with it, being sure to ask at the end of the day, "Did the air work?" My hope is that he thinks compressed air in the laser is more effective than banging, so now instead of nearly every hour, I'll get him to blow air on a couple of times a day.

If that works well enough, I'll make it so that air slowly reduces effectiveness and we'll have to think of something new...maybe chaining the bang and the air....This has been going on for several weeks now, and is probably the most entertaining prank we've done just because of duration and interactiveness.

**Update**

So we decided to mix things up with the guy. At this point, I can make him bang his mouse on the desk on command. My buddy and I decided to try and see if we could "retrain the monkey." Yesterday evening, I started making the cursor move around again, and I made it so banging it didn't fix it. Then we asked him what all the banging was, which got him on this rant about how his mouse was messed up and that he needed to get a new one, etc...So my buddy said, "Why don't you try cleaning it?" and took a can of compressed air and blew where the laser is. Now I'm going to take a few days off from messing with it, being sure to ask at the end of the day, "Did the air work?" My hope is that he thinks compressed air in the laser is more effective than banging, so now instead of nearly every hour, I'll get him to blow air on a couple of times a day.

If that works well enough, I'll make it so that air slowly reduces effectiveness and we'll have to think of something new...maybe chaining the bang and the air....This has been going on for several weeks now, and is probably the most entertaining prank we've done just because of duration and interactiveness.
Keep up the good work Fat Nick...I chuckle every time I read your updates on this.

**Update**

lmao

So nothing new on the mouse prank front...still just enjoying the simplicity of it and the consistent results. That said, I think I have my next prank planned out. It's a little more involved, but should be deployable in a few minutes...like the mouse prank, it's an interactive prank, meaning I get to decide when to annoy him. Lately he has been leaving the volume up on his computer. The windows alerts are bugging me, so that's what made me think of this.

Step 1: Find an annoying/funny/odd *.wav file. For me, I'm looking for something like a high-pitched beep. Not too long of one...just long enough to be noticed, but not overly overt or annoying.

Step 2: Set up a bogus free e-mail. Call it whatever you want.

Step 3: If you can get 2 minutes with your target's computer, save the *.wav file to his Windows sounds (C:/WindowsMedia)

Step 4: In his outlook, set up a new rule. Run when the message arrives. Play a sound upon arrival (choose your *.wav file). Also set it to permanently delete the incoming message. Save. Exit. Done.

Basically, any time you send the mark an e-mail from the bogus e-mail, his computer will play the sound you chose. I just tested it on my own machine, and there isn't a message pop-up, the message counter doesn't go up, nothing. It just plays a sound. Hopefully I can find a sound that's just enough to annoy and drive comments, not enough to make him suspicious.

I now understand the joy Pavlov had with his bell...

**Update**

You're doing God's work here, Fat Nick.

**Update**

If he ever finds out I think he's going to murder you both.

Sooooo much fun.

Update -

So the rules are set up in Outlook. I almost got caught though because he was in a meeting and came out mid-meeting for his computer. Played it off like I was looking for a pen. I actually changed the way they work to make it more fun for others. Instead of having the rule run when it comes from a junk e-mail, I just changed it to play a noise any time an e-mail has the phrase "Bring the Noise" in it. Now anyone can just send him an e-mail that says "Bring the Noise," and it'll ding and delete without him knowing anything. We can slip it into normal e-mails if you just type the phrase and then turn the text white.

I need another 30 seconds to upload the high-pitched beeping noise *.wav file. His computer won't recognize my flash drive, so I have to e-mail it to him, save, then delete the e-mail.

If anyone is trying this, THIS SITE has a great tool for making beeping sounds. I'm using 11,000Hz for 4 seconds. It's just enough to be heard over music, but still high enough to not travel far and alert others. Our goal is to make him think that only he can hear this sound, but that could be ruined if someone not in on the joke hears it too and confirms it with him.

The cricket chirp on this thing is money. :lmao: We have 2 girls that sit close to each other and I get to the office 30 minutes before they do. I should be able to move it around between the 2.

ETA: The one I received is round and does not look like the picture. Has 5 different sound choices and "random". Cricket is the only one I liked.
so its a cricket and not a chirp? I am very tempted to get this thing

The cricket chirp on this thing is money. :lmao: We have 2 girls that sit close to each other and I get to the office 30 minutes before they do. I should be able to move it around between the 2.

ETA: The one I received is round and does not look like the picture. Has 5 different sound choices and "random". Cricket is the only one I liked.
so its a cricket and not a chirp? I am very tempted to get this thing
Depends on the model. The one we used just beeps. It has 2 or 3 different styles of beep. I just heard about the cricket one recently. There's a little switch to change settings.

So nothing new on the mouse prank front...still just enjoying the simplicity of it and the consistent results. That said, I think I have my next prank planned out. It's a little more involved, but should be deployable in a few minutes...like the mouse prank, it's an interactive prank, meaning I get to decide when to annoy him. Lately he has been leaving the volume up on his computer. The windows alerts are bugging me, so that's what made me think of this.

Step 1: Find an annoying/funny/odd *.wav file. For me, I'm looking for something like a high-pitched beep. Not too long of one...just long enough to be noticed, but not overly overt or annoying.

Step 3: If you can get 2 minutes with your target's computer, save the *.wav file to his Windows sounds (C:/WindowsMedia)

Step 4: In his outlook, set up a new rule. Run when the message arrives. Play a sound upon arrival (choose your *.wav file). Also set it to permanently delete the incoming message. Save. Exit. Done.

Basically, any time you send the mark an e-mail from the bogus e-mail, his computer will play the sound you chose. I just tested it on my own machine, and there isn't a message pop-up, the message counter doesn't go up, nothing. It just plays a sound. Hopefully I can find a sound that's just enough to annoy and drive comments, not enough to make him suspicious.

Question on step 4. Usually on Windows, when you get an email you get the little popup notice in the bottom corner of the screen. Does that still popup even though the rule deletes the email immediately?

While coworker is out of the office, or when they leave for the evening, proceed to put hundreds of 3 oz Dixie cups all over their desk, etc. Staple them all together at the very top, fill with water.

Question on step 4. Usually on Windows, when you get an email you get the little popup notice in the bottom corner of the screen. Does that still popup even though the rule deletes the email immediately?
Nope. If you set it to delete immediately, there is no pop-up. I've discovered only 2 possible ways to get caught

1 - If he checks his outlook rules, he'll see some odd rule there. Best used on technologically inept as they have no clue rules exist.

2 - If your mark has a Blackberry, the message will show up the first time his Blackberry syncs with the server. The next time it syncs, it will reflect the auto-deletion, so for a period equal to the interval between syncs, the message can be read on his blackberry.

The work-around for #2 is to embed your key word in what would otherwise be a normal e-mail question, just change the font to white on white. So basically, I send this guy a message that says, "Hey, do you know when the sales report is coming in?" And then at the bottom, below my signature, I type "Bring the Noise," and change the text white. "Bring the Noise" is my trigger for the sound. Basically, on his desktop, it deletes automatically. IF he should look at his blackberry, he'll just see a "normal" message, and probably just wonder why it didn't show up in his normal in-box.

You can test all of this on your own machine prior to deploying.

And I managed to change the sound while he went for a smoke...I'll let you know how the dog whistle sounds works out.

Fat Nick said:
And I managed to change the sound while he went for a smoke...I'll let you know how the dog whistle sounds works out.
So this is odd...We changed the sound and played it. I could hear the sound just fine via my earbuds when testing, but coming out of his computer speakers, I can't hear it AT ALL. Now admittedly, I'm near deaf (surgeries on both ears, probably in the bottom 5% of the population in terms of hearing), but I could hear it fine with earbuds. My buddy who sits on the other side of him can hear it, and says it's LOUD, but our mark doesn't appear to be able to hear it either.

I think I need to lower the frequency some, and/or find a new sound.

Salt in the sugar dispenser.

I'm usually one of the first ones in the office and first to the coffee. Every once in a while when the sugar can gets low, I pour salt into it and walk back to my office. It finds a victim or two 90% of the time and the rest of the office has yet to catch on that i'm the one doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread