What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2009 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (3 Viewers)

I see the East like this right now:1 NYG2 Philly3 Washington4 Dallas I'll take flak for Wash over Dallas, but the 'Boys have regressed a lot since last year while the Skins have improved a lot. Jason Cambell is the wild card in that whole situation though.
I see a big gap between NYG-PHI and DAL-WAS. NYG and PHI are 10-6 to 12-4 type teams. One will win the division, the other should be a wild card unless massive injuries strike. DAL and WAS are 6-10 to 8-8 (9-7 if things break right) type teams. They may contend for the wild card if everything goes right, but I'm not expecting it. I cannot firmly say that we are better than NYG or vice versa, nor that DAL is worse than WAS or vice versa.

Eagles fans should be loving life right now. They get established CB, FB, 2 OT's that will all start right away. Add to that they get a fantastic playmaker at WR and arguably the 3rd bet RB in the draft. Both of them should see significant playing time as well. There should be no excuses next year. I think they've firmly entrenched themselves as the 2nd best team in the East and maybe the 2nd best in the NFC.
Just listening to Angelo and the morning show on WIP and they're still extremely upset that the Eagles didn't pick up Boldin........... :lol:
Angelo is a fool. He should have been fired after the McNabb fiasco. His antics have put a black eye on the town like no other in recent memory.
TESTIFY!WIP infuriates me to no end. During the season I subject myself to it on the long drive from home to the stadium and I always regret it. There's a culture there just hellbent on looking at the glass half empty. And the culture is steeped throughout the station, such that they hire other DJs who are cut from the same cloth. It would be one thing if they were critical but made cogent, valid criticisms predicated on factual analysis and also leveraging information they had that the average fan did not. But it's NOTHING like that. They are really lazy, even in so far as knowing anything about the other teams/personnel in the league. I listened this week a bit b/c of the draft and was stunned at the blatant misstatement of fact the hosts were allowing from callers AND making themselves. A total debacle.
Growing up an Eagles fan in NYC hasn't been easy, but sports fans up here are well aware how much of an Mickey Mouse operation WIP is. Angelo Cataldi?? Really? Only in Philly would you drive up 100 miles to boo your franchise QB when you already have Duce Staley. The biggest clown of them all - Eskin - is in the front offices pocket, meanwhile 10 years ago hes ripping the Birds left and right. Doesn't mean Eagles fans can't be frustrated when things don't go right, but win or lose I think this organaization has it's act togeher. Trust me this is coming from someone that is around the Jets all year long.Your telling me this team was better run by Norman Braman?
They weren't booing McNabb, they were booing the fact that NO was willing to give up their ENTIRE draft to take Ricky Williams. There is no way of knowing, that if they traded down and got all of NO's picks, that McNabb still wouldn't have been available. They definitely could have traded back up, as Washington did to select Champ Bailey. The 1998-1999 Eagles had more holes then swiss cheese. For the #5 pick the Redskins got the Saints #12, #71, #107, #144, #179, #218 AND their 2000 1st and 3rd. The 2000 first ended up being the #2 pick.

Eagles fans should be loving life right now. They get established CB, FB, 2 OT's that will all start right away. Add to that they get a fantastic playmaker at WR and arguably the 3rd bet RB in the draft. Both of them should see significant playing time as well. There should be no excuses next year. I think they've firmly entrenched themselves as the 2nd best team in the East and maybe the 2nd best in the NFC.
Just listening to Angelo and the morning show on WIP and they're still extremely upset that the Eagles didn't pick up Boldin........... :lmao:
Angelo is a fool. He should have been fired after the McNabb fiasco. His antics have put a black eye on the town like no other in recent memory.
TESTIFY!WIP infuriates me to no end. During the season I subject myself to it on the long drive from home to the stadium and I always regret it. There's a culture there just hellbent on looking at the glass half empty. And the culture is steeped throughout the station, such that they hire other DJs who are cut from the same cloth. It would be one thing if they were critical but made cogent, valid criticisms predicated on factual analysis and also leveraging information they had that the average fan did not. But it's NOTHING like that. They are really lazy, even in so far as knowing anything about the other teams/personnel in the league. I listened this week a bit b/c of the draft and was stunned at the blatant misstatement of fact the hosts were allowing from callers AND making themselves. A total debacle.
Growing up an Eagles fan in NYC hasn't been easy, but sports fans up here are well aware how much of an Mickey Mouse operation WIP is. Angelo Cataldi?? Really? Only in Philly would you drive up 100 miles to boo your franchise QB when you already have Duce Staley. The biggest clown of them all - Eskin - is in the front offices pocket, meanwhile 10 years ago hes ripping the Birds left and right. Doesn't mean Eagles fans can't be frustrated when things don't go right, but win or lose I think this organaization has it's act togeher. Trust me this is coming from someone that is around the Jets all year long.Your telling me this team was better run by Norman Braman?
Agree 100% on the WIP "Dirty Thirty" draft thing. What annoys me to no end is when they start complaining about a national media story portraying Philly fans negatively (like the overplayed booing Santa cliches we always have to put up with). But then inevitably it comes back to the McNabb draft thing, but of course on WIP, that had nothing to do with how we are portrayed (as Rhea consistently crows, "greatest radio promotion EVER"). Um, no it wasn't. It was a pointless exercise that was a complete embarassment to many, many other Eagle fans who recognized the team's need for a franchise QB at the time.Now I don't see that much difference between what they did in '99 and what Jets fans do at every draft, and I can't stand the double standard applied by ESPN on this point (i.e. "ha ha, look at the Jet fans booing Kyle Brady and Jeff Lageman, isn't that hilarious?" vs. "look at what those horrible sub-human Eagle fans did to McNabb!") But, Angelo gave the national media the perfect "smoking gun" to forever paint all Philly fans in the image of the 30 morons that took a bus up to the draft in 1999. Thanks WIP :lol:

WIP infuriates me to no end. During the season I subject myself to it on the long drive from home to the stadium and I always regret it.
For the love of God, why? Haven't you learned by now? Listening to WIP rots your brain. I'm too far north for 950's signal, but I listen to the Lehigh Valley ESPN stations or WFAN from NYC so that I don't have to subject myself to WIP.

WIP infuriates me to no end. During the season I subject myself to it on the long drive from home to the stadium and I always regret it.
For the love of God, why? Haven't you learned by now? Listening to WIP rots your brain. I'm too far north for 950's signal, but I listen to the Lehigh Valley ESPN stations or WFAN from NYC so that I don't have to subject myself to WIP.
Same here. I'm driving down from north Jersey so I can't get 950 in for a good chunk of the drive. It's funny, as a guy inundated with NY sports radio, I have to give them their props. The Fan and 1050 ESPN are obviously NY-centric, which is annoying as a guy who hates NY teams, BUT they are light years better than the Philly counterparts. These guys know their sports and rarely ever make an ill informed statement.

They weren't booing McNabb, they were booing the fact that NO was willing to give up their ENTIRE draft to take Ricky Williams. There is no way of knowing, that if they traded down and got all of NO's picks, that McNabb still wouldn't have been available. They definitely could have traded back up, as Washington did to select Champ Bailey. The 1998-1999 Eagles had more holes then swiss cheese. For the #5 pick the Redskins got the Saints #12, #71, #107, #144, #179, #218 AND their 2000 1st and 3rd. The 2000 first ended up being the #2 pick.
I'm confused, are you defending the people who booed the McNabb pick and saying if they could do it again, the eagles should have traded down?First, the fans that booed McNabb CLEARLY wanted Ricky Williams. Second, since Cincy took Akali Smith 3rd overall its pretty clear that McNabb was not dropping. Third, the eagles made the playoffs a year later so they plugged those swiss cheese holes quickly and effectively. And forth, here's who was drafted with the picks WAS aquired (most of which were traded to the Bears to get to #7): #12 Cade McNown #71 D'Wayne Bates #107 Nate Stimson#144 Khari Samuel#179 Desmond Clark #218 Billy Miller2000 #2 LaVar Arrington (Washington of course did such a great job with all those extra picks that they drafted 3rd in 2000)

Same here. I'm driving down from north Jersey so I can't get 950 in for a good chunk of the drive. It's funny, as a guy inundated with NY sports radio, I have to give them their props. The Fan and 1050 ESPN are obviously NY-centric, which is annoying as a guy who hates NY teams, BUT they are light years better than the Philly counterparts. These guys know their sports and rarely ever make an ill informed statement.
You Philly guys really need to pony up the 36 cents a day and get Sirius. You have no excuse to listen to such horrible sports talk radio and yes that includes the mid-morning/afternoon 950 guys.If you had Sirius on this am you would have heard Heckert on the Blitz. Some very good stuff about how they were targeting a defensive player with 21 until they saw Mac falling. They started trying to trade up at 15 but did not have any takers until 19. He also said they had no plans on drafting a WR in the first because they honestly did not feel Mac would be available after running all of their mocks. He also mentioned that they were very worried about not getting McCoy until the saw a couple of the other backs get drafted before him. They figured on 3-4 RBs being taken before they picked in the 2nd.

I LOVE hearing 660 and 1050 talk about the Mets, though. And they are bearable on most other subjects (Francessa's ego aside.) See if you can get ESPN 1230 (Easton) or 1320 (Allentown). They talk more about the Iron Pigs and Lehigh/Lafayette/Bucknell/high school sports than I would like, but when they do talk about the Philly teams, they're much more listenable than WIP.

:thumbup: How can you boo something that had not happened yet? Not to revisit this, but c'mon...

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused: How can you boo something that had not happened yet? Not to revisit this, but c'mon...
:wall: They had one plan that day - Ricky or bust (or in this case. boo). However, I do agree that the fans weren't booing McNabb personally. They were booing the Eagles (and life in general I guess) for not drafting Ricky Williams. It's a weird nuance, but basically the fans were going to be booing any name that was called by Tagliabue that wasn't Ricky Williams. It really wasn't personally directed at McNabb. It gets twisted by the national media that way all the time though, which is a little annoying, but we (actually "they") brought it on themselves.

I'm confused, are you defending the people who booed the McNabb pick and saying if they could do it again, the eagles should have traded down?First, the fans that booed McNabb CLEARLY wanted Ricky Williams. Second, since Cincy took Akali Smith 3rd overall its pretty clear that McNabb was not dropping. Third, the eagles made the playoffs a year later so they plugged those swiss cheese holes quickly and effectively. And forth, here's who was drafted with the picks WAS aquired (most of which were traded to the Bears to get to #7): #12 Cade McNown #71 D'Wayne Bates #107 Nate Stimson#144 Khari Samuel#179 Desmond Clark #218 Billy Miller2000 #2 LaVar Arrington (Washington of course did such a great job with all those extra picks that they drafted 3rd in 2000)
Couple things. 1. We really don't know who Cincy had rated higher McNabb or Smith. We also don't know if put in the right situation, whether Smith, Culpepper or McNown would have flourished in Andy Reid's system and under his coaching. 2. Just because Chicago took player X, does not mean that Philly would have taken player X. The Eagles were obviously looking for a LB in the 1999 draft since they selected Barry Gardner in the 2nd. Maybe if they had those extra picks they might have gone OL instead of reaching for Gardner and taken Jon Jansen who went 2 picks after Gardner (they were in the market for an OL too as they took Brezinski in the third). Then in the third instead of taking a WR which they didn't view as a need (they didn't select a WR until the 6th) they could have taken their LB in Joey Porter. There are too many "what if's". The only certainty is that the Eagles wouldn't have taken the players that were ultimately selected at those slots as the team that selected those players had different needs then the Eagles.3. They drafted 3rd in 2000 because they got that pick through a trade with San Francisco. The Redskins made the playoffs in 1999.

Undrafted Free Agent Signings for the Eagles

EaglesRB Marcus Thigpen (Indiana)DL Josh Gaines (Penn State)WR Brandon Robinson (Boston College)RB Walter Mendenhall (Illinois St.)SS Rashard Langford (Vanderbilt)LB Dallas Reynolds (BYU)K Sam Swank (Wake Forest)Got it from the "Undrafted Rookies" thread which provided this link:UDFA Listing

Two RB's - most curious what people know about Mendenhall (older brother of Rashard).

:thumbdown: This is factually incorrect. It has been confirmed by multiple people involved they were booing McNabb - due to him not being Ricky Williams. Since the NO trade didn't happen yet, they couldn't boo the Eagles not accepting said trade. 610 is a joke. 950 is much better - I like Jody Mac.

Undrafted Free Agent Signings for the Eagles

EaglesRB Marcus Thigpen (Indiana)DL Josh Gaines (Penn State)WR Brandon Robinson (Boston College)RB Walter Mendenhall (Illinois St.)SS Rashard Langford (Vanderbilt)LB Dallas Reynolds (BYU)K Sam Swank (Wake Forest)Got it from the "Undrafted Rookies" thread which provided this link:UDFA Listing

Two RB's - most curious what people know about Mendenhall (older brother of Rashard).

[/quote

There's your obligatory Cougar - unreal.

Just a question but if you are going to sign two udfa Rb's why wouldn't you take a flyer on Jennings in the 7th round?

Just listening to Angelo and the morning show on WIP and they're still extremely upset that the Eagles didn't pick up Boldin........... :shrug:
:coffee: Jeff Fisher said the Cards didn't want to trade him....I'm guessing if the Birds could have got him they would have. With how the draft turned out, it'd be ridiculous to whine about not getting him. I also disagree that the Giants are the favorites until proven otherwise....Philly is a better team IMO until I'm proven otherwise. Can't wait to see this team play! :football:

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but the guys that booed McNabb were classless regardless of their motivations.

Obviously we don't know who the Eagles would have gotten if they traded down or if they had gotten all those picks, but I'm pretty happy we didn't risk an "Akili Smith is our QB of the future" on the chance of getting another third round pick....

theToes said:
Just a question but if you are going to sign two udfa Rb's why wouldn't you take a flyer on Jennings in the 7th round?
Maybe because they didn't think he was worth a guaranteed contract? I know Jennings is a 'super sleeper' favorite for many, but that doesn't mean any particular team, the Eagles included, thought he was worth a draft pick.

Ignatius Reilly said:
Jason Wood said:
Deranged Hermit said:
fred_1_15301 said:
Deranged Hermit said:
Just listening to Angelo and the morning show on WIP and they're still extremely upset that the Eagles didn't pick up Boldin........... :lmao:
How can you bash on Eskin for bashing the Eagles years ago when you clearly see that the team was run by Braman at the time? One thing about Eskin and football he ends up right more (90%) then any other national guy. Nobody is perfect.The problem is that everybody thinks they know what is going on and can't handle the truth.

stevegamer said:
Snotbubbles said:
:thumbdown: This is factually incorrect. It has been confirmed by multiple people involved they were booing McNabb - due to him not being Ricky Williams. Since the NO trade didn't happen yet, they couldn't boo the Eagles not accepting said trade. 610 is a joke. 950 is much better - I like Jody Mac.
Agreed but Missinelli is just as big a joke as Cataldi. He doesn't have a clue in what he is talking about either.

stevegamer said:
Snotbubbles said:
Agreed but Missinelli is just as big a joke as Cataldi. He doesn't have a clue in what he is talking about either.
I agree about Missanelli. He seems like a better person than Eskin, but that isn't hard to do.

Speaking from an outsider's perspective, Eskin may be very knowledgable about the Eagles but it's clouded by his constant cheerleading for the organization. Essentially, they can do no wrong in his eyes. Also, he doesn't seem to know much about the other teams in the league. It's very nauseating listening to him because he rarely supports his opinions with any type of cogent argument. He simply bashes the callers for disagreeing with him.

Also, he's an extreme hypocrite. I remember when Barkley got a DUI recently and Eskin was actually defending him because they're good buddies. His argument......he was driving so late at night that nobody was on the road anyways. Whats the big deal if he was a little drunk? It was the most asinine thing I'd ever heard and I couldn't believe his callers didn't lash out at him for it. If Tony Romo or some other player that he hates would have done the exact same thing, Eskin would have ripped him apart.

theToes said:
:thumbdown: Unbelievably frustrated that they kept passing on him - and he was even brought in for a workout.DH - Any comments from your guy on him?

theToes said:
Maybe because they didn't think he was worth a guaranteed contract? I know Jennings is a 'super sleeper' favorite for many, but that doesn't mean any particular team, the Eagles included, thought he was worth a draft pick.
Exactly how much do you think a 7th rounder makes?

theToes said:
Good point. I bet a 7th rounder makes less than an undrafted free agent due to teams bidding against each other for the free agents. I still don't understand why not take a flier on Jennings in the 7th round. I am curious to find out why Jennings fell so far.

Two things:

1) Did the Eagles have intentions of picking Jared Cook in the third round? They traded down with the Giants about eight spots to get an extra fifth only to see the Titans trade up and grab him during that span. This was the only time I was disappointed in the draft, as I thought the Eagles missed out.

2) Roto is still reporting the Eagles might get Tony Scheffler in a trade. It makes no sense for Denver not to trade him, since he won't be used much this year and then will be a free agent. I can't believe Denver really wants a first rounder for him.

Two things:1) Did the Eagles have intentions of picking Jared Cook in the third round? They traded down with the Giants about eight spots to get an extra fifth only to see the Titans trade up and grab him during that span. This was the only time I was disappointed in the draft, as I thought the Eagles missed out.2) Roto is still reporting the Eagles might get Tony Scheffler in a trade. It makes no sense for Denver not to trade him, since he won't be used much this year and then will be a free agent. I can't believe Denver really wants a first rounder for him.
made no sense for denver to draft no D help either...

theToes said:
Good point. I bet a 7th rounder makes less than an undrafted free agent due to teams bidding against each other for the free agents. I still don't understand why not take a flier on Jennings in the 7th round. I am curious to find out why Jennings fell so far.
FYI, here was Ahmad Bradshaw's deal in 2007:7/24/2007: Signed a four-year, $1.7 million contract. The deal included a $37,000 signing bonus. 2009: $460,000, 2010: $550,000.

I seriously doubt any RB drafted in Round 7 would expect over $60K as a signing bonus, which would be the only guarantee they would have to come out of pocket to draft someone vs. wait for UDFA. If they're that cheap, well....

stevegamer said:
Snotbubbles said:
:loco: This is factually incorrect. It has been confirmed by multiple people involved they were booing McNabb - due to him not being Ricky Williams. Since the NO trade didn't happen yet, they couldn't boo the Eagles not accepting said trade. 610 is a joke. 950 is much better - I like Jody Mac.
I agree about Missanelli. He seems like a better person than Eskin, but that isn't hard to do.
anyone hear the Great Donovan Debate run by Missanelli. Just heard the part where they got Warren Moon on the phone. And they were talking about if fans are too tough on Donavon. And Moon said well yea, right now your doing a donavon mcnabb debate, this doesn't happen in any other town. And Warren asked why even have this debate. Was funny that they had him on to participate and he made fun of them for what they were doing.On friday had on 950, and guy after missenelli was ripping eagles orginzation over not getting boldin, and made it seemed like they were pieces of crap. I thought boldin was traded to another team the way they were talking. Only heard a couple minutes but my blood was boiling.So I'm not so sure 950 is any different than 610 despite some people saying that. I enjoy Jody Mac for phillies talk tho.

stevegamer said:
Snotbubbles said:
:pirate: This is factually incorrect. It has been confirmed by multiple people involved they were booing McNabb - due to him not being Ricky Williams. Since the NO trade didn't happen yet, they couldn't boo the Eagles not accepting said trade. 610 is a joke. 950 is much better - I like Jody Mac.
anyone hear the Great Donovan Debate run by Missanelli. Just heard the part where they got Warren Moon on the phone. And they were talking about if fans are too tough on Donavon. And Moon said well yea, right now your doing a donavon mcnabb debate, this doesn't happen in any other town. And Warren asked why even have this debate. Was funny that they had him on to participate and he made fun of them for what they were doing.On friday had on 950, and guy after missenelli was ripping eagles orginzation over not getting boldin, and made it seemed like they were pieces of crap. I thought boldin was traded to another team the way they were talking. Only heard a couple minutes but my blood was boiling.So I'm not so sure 950 is any different than 610 despite some people saying that. I enjoy Jody Mac for phillies talk tho.
It makes you wonder how many deep playoff runs he needs to make just to get a little respect.

I think that I will be the only one of this opinion, but here it goes anyway.

Our RB situation has Westy, followed by McCoy, but after that I think they are all below average. Cincy just release C Perry yesterday, and I think if healthy, he would be a good addition to this team. He is a veteran, albeit with definite injury concerns, and would be an upgrade over Booker and Co. Now that McCoy is in the fold, I don't think we need to continue to hope that the young RB in Booker, might be Westy's replacement. Perry is a good RB out of the backfield, should stay healthy behind Westy & McCoy, and is a little bit bigger than the other 2, offering a slightly different look.

Im not too worried about our RB depth with Weaver in the mix. He's no schlep toting the rock and has good hands. Im interested in seeing our 'heavy' package with a FB and Weaver in the i-formation

Perry is done. And the most HBs they have ever carried I think is 3. I would have preferred another rookie to come in to challenge Booker, but I think you're looking at your opening day roster at that position.

This is going to be a great year for the Eagles! They had a great draft and signed some nice UDFA's. As a fan, I don't think I've ever been so happy with the way the Eagles handled free agency and the draft all in one year.

From a fantasy perspective they look to have many weapons to choose from this year, more so than other years. I think D-Mac will be the only true fantasy stud for the '09 Eagles. It appears that Westbrook might lose touches during games and throughout the year, and his status as an elite RB may slip. I don't see any of our WR's being studs, just semi-consistent production from the starters.

I like Celek a ton. He just needs to improve his blocking. The current FBG depth chart reads: Brent Celek, Matt Schobel, Cornelius Ingram, Eugene Bright. With the possibility Scheffler joins the squad, would the Eagles go into training camp with all 5 TE's? Do any of them handle long snapping duties? I don't remember the LS last year. Scheffler would have pretty good fantasy value if he lands with the Eagles. I would put Scheffler as TE1 followed by Celek, Ingram, Bright and release Schobel if he had no LS experience. If the Eagles don't grab Scheffler, I'm fine with Celek as our TE1.

DH - you're awesome baby!!!!! I'm glad you are here to filter through all the bs and get to the facts. Please never leave.

GO EAGLES!!!

Two things:1) Did the Eagles have intentions of picking Jared Cook in the third round? They traded down with the Giants about eight spots to get an extra fifth only to see the Titans trade up and grab him during that span. This was the only time I was disappointed in the draft, as I thought the Eagles missed out.2) Roto is still reporting the Eagles might get Tony Scheffler in a trade. It makes no sense for Denver not to trade him, since he won't be used much this year and then will be a free agent. I can't believe Denver really wants a first rounder for him.
If you trade down in the draft, then you usually don't think you are getting good value with selecting a player where you are. Considering that Cook was 'mocked' to go earlier than the 3rd round, then it is safe to say that the Eagles weren't interested in him at that point. I think that you are joined by many other fans that were disappointed when they didn't select Cook (or even Nelson/Coffman for that matter). I think the fact that Denver wants a 1st round pick is simply just a rumor. It also doesn't make much sense either, considering Sheffler has yet to do much in his career. I could possibly see them using that extra third round pick from last year's draft as bait. Either way, expect Philly to see how ready Ingram is to contribute before making a deal to bring in Sheffler. From what I read, Ingram might not even be able to play this season... depending on his recovery.

Im not too worried about our RB depth with Weaver in the mix. He's no schlep toting the rock and has good hands. Im interested in seeing our 'heavy' package with a FB and Weaver in the i-formation
:lmao: We've never really featured the FB much before, and Weaver has greater skills as a runner then a lot of NFL RB3's, with the size/power to help tremendously in short-yardage situations.WE also picked up two rookie FA RB's to at least push Booker a little. I would have prefered to spend one of our 6/7's on one, but at least they made it a post-draft priority.I'm thrilled with the prospects going forward! :excited:

LS = Dorenbos.
Dorenbos bio on team site#46 John Dorenbos

Position: LS

Height: 6-0

Weight: 250

College: Texas-El Paso

Experience: 7

Birthdate: 07/21/80

Hometown: Garden Grove, CA

Acquired by Eagles:

UFA - '06

Originally joined NFL:

Rookie FA - BUF, 2003

After battling a tremendous amount of personal adversity early in life, Jon Dorenbos has worked hard and stayed focused enough to carve out a six-year career as a NFL long snapper. Originally signed by Philadelphia in the latter half of the 2006 season, Dorenbos has played in every game for the Eagles since then (including postseason) and inked a five-year contract extension on 12/29/07, which will keep him in Philadelphia through 2012.

Special teams tackles: 13 – 2006 (2), 2007 (6), 2008 (5)

Named the team's Ed Block Courage Award recipient of 2008. The award honors those National Football League players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage and is given by a vote of the team for effort as well as individual performance.

I guess maybe he's a back-up center in emergencies. Team site doesn't mention it as far as I could see.....maybe I missed it. Jamal Jackson is the only listed center on the roster.

Thanks for the heads-up zadok.

And Dorenbos can clearly be an emergency center, since he can long-snap, but usually those guys are a bit lighter and offer more in kick coverage than a traditional center. It why you sometimes see LB's long-snap - it's nice to get a big hitter snapping on the ball on punts.

I suspect Bednarik was a guy the return man didn't want to see.

You Philly guys really need to pony up the 36 cents a day and get Sirius. You have no excuse to listen to such horrible sports talk radio and yes that includes the mid-morning/afternoon 950 guys.If you had Sirius on this am you would have heard Heckert on the Blitz. Some very good stuff about how they were targeting a defensive player with 21 until they saw Mac falling. They started trying to trade up at 15 but did not have any takers until 19. He also said they had no plans on drafting a WR in the first because they honestly did not feel Mac would be available after running all of their mocks. He also mentioned that they were very worried about not getting McCoy until the saw a couple of the other backs get drafted before him. They figured on 3-4 RBs being taken before they picked in the 2nd.
I’m a diehard Eagles fan and a long time subscriber and fan of Sirius NFL Radio. Having said that, I am guilty of listening to 610 and 950 at times because I just can’t get enough Birds talk. Also, when Bam Bam from Missouri is going on for 10 minutes about the Chiefs offensive line, I just can’t take NFL radio anymore and have to switch channels. But yes, 610 and 950 stink for the most part. Now on to the real talk. Very pumped about the draft and offseason trades and free agent signings. We should definitely be in contention again, we just need to get over that hump. Not to slam Reid, but I just don’t know if he’s smart enough to outcoach many other coaches in a big game. But I’m very pumped for the season and can’t wait to cheer on the home team. If we can land Scheffler for a 3rd or 4th round pick I’m totally fine with that. Dude is a stud if he can stay on the field (I know, big if).

I’m a diehard Eagles fan and a long time subscriber and fan of Sirius NFL Radio. Having said that, I am guilty of listening to 610 and 950 at times because I just can’t get enough Birds talk. Also, when Bam Bam from Missouri is going on for 10 minutes about the Chiefs offensive line, I just can’t take NFL radio anymore and have to switch channels. But yes, 610 and 950 stink for the most part.

Now on to the real talk. Very pumped about the draft and offseason trades and free agent signings. We should definitely be in contention again, we just need to get over that hump. Not to slam Reid, but I just don’t know if he’s smart enough to outcoach many other coaches in a big game. But I’m very pumped for the season and can’t wait to cheer on the home team. If we can land Scheffler for a 3rd or 4th round pick I’m totally fine with that. Dude is a stud if he can stay on the field (I know, big if).
At least he's better than Adrian from the 'burg :excited: Thanks god for Sirius. No 610 or 950 for me <_<

Nice little article about McCoy. Cool read for whomever is interested:

Rich Hofmann: Will young running back become real McCoy for Eagles?

By Rich Hofmann

Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Sports Columnist

JEFF WEACHTER sounds like a parent sometimes when he talks about LeSean McCoy, biased and proud and hopeful and the rest. Weachter sounds like a football coach sometimes when he talks about the Eagles' second-round draft choice, too, cold and clinical and sharp-eyed and unforgiving.

Weachter coached McCoy at Bishop McDevitt High School in Harrisburg. McDevitt also produced Ricky Watters, back when. Weachter did not coach Watters, but he is like the rest of us, interested in the comparisons between the two running backs. Weachter says he has a witness.

"My defensive coordinator was there when Ricky played," Weachter said. "He told me that at the end of LeSean's junior year, he was better than Ricky as a senior."

McCoy, even from the second round, might just be the Eagles' most important draft choice. Because while wide receiver Jeremy Maclin arrives wrapped in bold paper and shiny ribbons, the offensive toy that no one expected, McCoy is the present everybody around here really wanted all along. He is the running back who will grow up behind Brian Westbrook. Given the way running backs go down in the NFL, he could very well need to grow up quickly.

The rest of us only know McCoy from Pitt games on television. Weachter has known him since McCoy was a little kid, having first coached LeSean's brother LeRon (who had a brief NFL career as well). What follows will mostly be Weachter's voice. Again, you will hear what borders on familial pride and you also will hear the honesty that only people in his profession understand, people whose eyeballs bleed from watching video.

McCoy's mother is credited with giving LeSean the nickname "Shady." His old coach uses it all the time. We start with McCoy's age, 20.

"It's the only thing I worry about, and I've talked to Shady about this," Weachter said. "I talked to somebody from the Eagles about a month ago and I felt good about it. But even with a year of prep school, he should have been a year behind. He doesn't even turn 21 until July. Being close to Harrisburg worries you a little bit, with all of the people who will be contacting him. But he has a good head on his shoulders. He's not much of a partier. His only problem is saying no to people sometimes.

"But I've known him since he was 8 years old. His brother played for me. He stayed at my house. He's a good kid . . . After he visited the Eagles [before the draft], he said to me, 'Do you want my Pitt jersey or my Eagles jersey?' "

Westbrook's name comes up all the time during the conversation. Weachter thinks it is a fair stylistic comparison. But we circle around and come back to the age again, and how McCoy is like many newly drafted NFL players, still an unfinished physical product.

"He's worked out 6 days a week since ninth grade, and I don't know what he was doing at Pitt, but he should be bigger," Weachter said. "He might be 206 or 207 now. He should be able to fill out to about 215 pounds and keep his speed.

"I saw [NFL Network analyst Mike] Mayock say he doesn't have long speed. That's bullbleep. We've worked out at Pitt with my [high school] team and the turf there is really spongy. All I know is, LeSean's brother LeRon ran a 4.38 [in the] 40 and LeSean is faster. In California, he ran a 4.3 . . .

"He has everything you need," he said. "He has great vision. His acceleration out of his cuts is unbelievable. He has great hands and he's a very good route runner. I'm shocked they didn't split him out at Pitt because I know they practiced it. It might have been because of quarterback issues, I don't know. But he can do it, like Westbrook."

One of the things that McCoy absolutely, positively will have to be able to do is run between the tackles. It is a fair question, whether he can. Westbrook can do it - and when he can't do it, he has this uncanny leaping ability near the goal line. If he were to get hurt, they would need McCoy to be able to do it, too - unless the thought would be fullback Leonard Weaver inside the 5-yard line.

Anyway, inside running?

"He's an inside runner," Weachter said. "I watched him last year and I asked him, 'Shady, what's this with bouncing out?' He said that [Pitt coach Dave] Wannstedt got in his head about some longer runs, so he bounced more of them outside. But he's an inside runner. You'll see . . .

"The thing he needs to get better at is pass-protecting. But he is physical. He's not afraid of contact. And I've talked to him about it. If he doesn't pick it up, he's not going to see the field and he knows it."

There is plenty to like. There are things to work on. There are significant hopes. There are significant imperatives. McCoy needs to be a player. The Eagles cannot afford to allow him to fail.

"I know a lot of NFL people, assistant coaches and scouts," Weachter said. "What most of them said was that [Knowshon] Moreno and [Chris 'Beanie'] Wells were the players who were ready right now to be the man. They thought that Shady was a good fit for a team that had an established running back in place. But they thought that when his body is ready, Shady will end up being the best player when all is said and done."

You wonder if this was the pride talking or the coach talking. It is what you do about all of these draft choices now, wonder. *

Hmm, I wonder if they go after Edgerrin James at all?

I don't think he's more than a committee member, but he can catch the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread