What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

If I remember correctly, right now the Eagles have on the books for 2011 one of the league's lowest payrolls. Obviously D-jax and Vick will drive that number up considerably, but they'll have $$$ to spend.

If I remember correctly, right now the Eagles have on the books for 2011 one of the league's lowest payrolls. Obviously D-jax and Vick will drive that number up considerably, but they'll have $$$ to spend.
Not surprising considering the high amount of low rounder contracts on the team

Not surprising considering the high amount of low rounder contracts on the team
I'm not defending the front office, but the pool of talent in FA last year was abysmal. They used all of their draft picks (11? 12?) and practically all of them contributed at least a little this year. Surprising considering that we all wondered what they were thinking using that many picks.

McDermott fired . Jauron to step in
Wow - interesting move. Clearly they have Jauron>>McDermott as Jauron was rumored to be heading to Cleveland as a DC.McDermott looked / felt like he was overmatched to me. The talent was there but the blitzes weren't - whether you blame that on young talent or not, you have to teach them something and nothing worked late in the year.Here's hoping Jauron is a significant improvement.

Good move that needed to be made. But I read while Jauron is a possible replacement, they are expected to interview outside candidates. Is there any confirmation on Jauron being official?

The obvious replacement is Eagles defensive backs coach **** Jauron, although an Eagles executive told the Daily News that no decision has been made. The Eagles granted permissionn for Jauron to talk to the Browns about their opening for a defensive coordinator under new coach Pat Shurmur.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle...s_his_mind.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - interesting move. Clearly they have Jauron>>McDermott as Jauron was rumored to be heading to Cleveland as a DC.

McDermott looked / felt like he was overmatched to me. The talent was there but the blitzes weren't - whether you blame that on young talent or not, you have to teach them something and nothing worked late in the year.

Here's hoping Jauron is a significant improvement.
My first thought as well. They obviously didn't want to lose him. Another example of Andy saying one thing and doing another.

What Inky reporter Jeff McLane just Twitted:**** Jauron is a candidate, according to a team source, but the #Eagles will interview others.

I'd like them to at least have an interview with Rob Ryan before he signs with Dallas.

Apparently they haven't named Jauron DC (per Philly.com)...

I'm all for McDermott being canned but am I alone in wanting new blood? Singletary? Ryan?

Don't agree with the firing but it is what it is. Coaches are the first to go ( besides Reid ).

What has me thinking though is if they do bring in an established coach & not the "thru the ranks" type coach, how much say will that coach have in terms of types of players, philosophy, etc or will Reid still have final say in that when it comes to defensive players?

Just seems McDermott didn't have much say in how the defense was ran & player types.

McDermott looked / felt like he was overmatched to me. The talent was there but the blitzes weren't - whether you blame that on young talent or not, you have to teach them something and nothing worked late in the year.

Here's hoping Jauron is a significant improvement.
Well, the offense didn't work late in the year either...why wasn't Mornhinweg fired too? McDermott is the fall guy for the home playoff loss, but his firing is just the proverbial "band aid on a broken arm". The biggest problem will continue on, for a 13th season of more of the same.

I just watch a packer intercept a pass in the endzone...i can't remember the last time i seen a eagles CB get up like that on an interception lol

Apparently they haven't named Jauron DC (per Philly.com)...I'm all for McDermott being canned but am I alone in wanting new blood? Singletary? Ryan?
I no longer think Singletary has what it takes to do anything more than be a linebacker coach at the NFL level.
Wasn't he the DC in Baltimore some years back?Is Mike Nolan out there?
No Mike Nolan is under contract with the Dolphins he is not going anywhere

Not sure what I think about this. It feels a bit knee jerk, but maybe there was more glaring info in team meetings, organization, etc.

Also, not sure what I think about the Juaron option. He was no world beater anywhere he has been. Though it could be worse, Juaron could be our head coach :yes:

CBS' Charley Casserly reports that the franchise tag number for quarterbacks in 2011 is expected to be roughly $23 million.

According to Casserly, the Colts plan to place the tag on impending free agent Peyton Manning, before the sides begin long-term extension talks. The $23 million becomes guaranteed once it's signed by a player. Manning isn't going anywhere, so it's just a tool to make certain there's no chance the sides part ways. Michael Vick is also likely to be franchised in Philly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines...L&hl=198793

Philly should be able to afford $23 Million for Vick. Would that hinder them in bidding for Asomugha?

CBS' Charley Casserly reports that the franchise tag number for quarterbacks in 2011 is expected to be roughly $23 million.

According to Casserly, the Colts plan to place the tag on impending free agent Peyton Manning, before the sides begin long-term extension talks. The $23 million becomes guaranteed once it's signed by a player. Manning isn't going anywhere, so it's just a tool to make certain there's no chance the sides part ways. Michael Vick is also likely to be franchised in Philly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines...L&hl=198793

Philly should be able to afford $23 Million for Vick. Would that hinder them in bidding for Asomugha?
How is the QB franchise # $23 million? Brady just signed for $18 a year. Are there really 5 guys making more than Brady and averaging $23 million to boot?

Transcript from NFL Today, they don't question the $23 million. But it's not like they are journalists. One of them claims Brady's signing bonus was $48 million, not sure if that's right. Rotoworld shows:

9/9/2010: Signed a five-year, $78.5 million contract. The deal contains $48.5 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus. 2011: $5.75 million (+ $4 million roster bonus), 2012: $5.75 million (+ $6 million roster bonus), 2013-2014: $9.75 million (+ $5 million roster bonuses), 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse...&majteam=NE

00:15:28 Talk about some of the big-name quarterbacks that boomer will love that got contract situations to be resolved.

00:15:34 >> First of all, we have mr.

00:15:36 Manning.

00:15:36 Peyton manning, that is.

00:15:37 Look for them to franchise peyton manning.

00:15:40 That number under the present rules is $23 million.

00:15:45 However, if they franchise him for two more years, those numbers are a total of $90 million over the next three years.

00:15:54 I think the colts will offer him a multi-year contract with a signing bonus of over $15 million and a contract somewhere between $20 million and $25 million.

00:16:04 That will be more than tom brady.

00:16:05 His average is $18 million a year and his signing bonus was $48 million.

00:16:10 dan and boomer are warming up drew brees saying he'd like at extension.

00:16:16 >> He has one year to go on his contract with the saints at a bargain rate of $10 million a year.

00:16:21 Talking to the saints yesterday, they obviously want to extend him, so he has a long career with the saints.

00:16:26 They haven't had any discussions on what those numrs are going to be.

00:16:32 To me, he's the third-best quarterback in the nfl.

00:16:34 That salary is an average of $17 million a year.

00:16:37 That's what I think he should get.

00:16:38 meanwhile, pete carroll in seattle says he is interested in re-signing matt hasselbeck.

00:16:45 >> What else do you say when you have a playoff game and he's the starting quarterback?

00:16:49 I think they will try to re-sign him.

00:16:52 Here's what I think happens.

00:16:53 He's making $8 million a year.

00:16:55 I think people have in mind a number somewhere around $6 million.

00:16:59 What could help hasselbeck, there's a lot of teams that are desperate for a quarterback.

00:17:02 Might drive that number up.

00:17:04 daily questions around michael vick.

00:17:06 What's his status?

00:17:06 >> The eagles want him back.

00:17:08 He's going to be the starter next year.

00:17:10 They're going to franchise him when that time comes out.

00:17:13 They're also going to try to work on a multi--year deal.

00:17:18 To me, that number should be in the $12 million to $14 million range.

00:17:25 kevin kolb said he'd like to start somewhere.

00:17:28 Will philadelphia accommodate him?

00:17:29 >> Andy reid said he'd like to have both quarterbacks back.

00:17:31 If they get offered a number one pick, and they could, they'll think about moving him in that situation.

http://www.livedash.com/transcript/the_nfl...15_2011/548559/

Maybe franchise $ is closer to the avg. top 5 cap charge? Looks like Eli's cap charge is higher than what his salary is reported as. Ex. Salary in 2011 is $8.5 but cap charge is $14.1.

8/13/2009: Signed a seven-year, $106.9 million contract. The deal contains $35 million guaranteed, including a $13 million signing bonus and all but $1 million of Manning's 2009-2011 base salaries. Another $500,000 is available in 2010-2015 via annual workout bonuses.

2009: $7.9 million, 2010: $6.5 million (+ $12.5 million option bonus), 2011: $8.5 million, 2012: $10.75 million, 2013: $13 million, 2014: $15.15 million, 2015: $17 million, 2016: Free Agent.

Cap charges: $13.07 million (2009), $12.1 million (2010), $14.1 million (2011), $16.35 million (2012), $18.6 million (2013), $18.15 million (2014), $17.5 million (2015).

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse...amp;majteam=NYG

The franchise tag is very much up in the air with the new CBA. It could be kept but who knows how they will do the math.
I read something (or heard Sal Pal say it) the other day that said the league is more likely to have 2 franshise tags with the new CBA then it is to have none. I'll see if I can find the link.

http://prod.www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5...-eagles-proceed

But it's hard to envision a scenario in which teams like the Eagles and Colts won't be protected with star players. One high-ranking team official, not working for either Philly or Indy, opined over the summer that there is "a greater likelihood there will be two franchise tags than none" in the new CBA

Aren't there other rules to the tag than the simple average? I mean...isn't there a caveat about a raise over last contract?

IE: The tag value for Manning might not be the same as the tag value for Vick??????

Yep....that's what I thought...(From Wiki, not the best source but good enugh for this.....)

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
the tag means a 120% increase over previous salary...Manning was already one of the highest paid QB's, so his tag # is well over the top 5 average. Vick's would be more in the 16-17 million range

Yep....that's what I thought...(From Wiki, not the best source but good enugh for this.....)

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
the tag means a 120% increase over previous salary...Manning was already one of the highest paid QB's, so his tag # is well over the top 5 average. Vick's would be more in the 16-17 million range
Tag means 120% of previous salary or avg. of the top 5 at the position in a date set (around April) of the year the tag is applied, whichever is greater. Will 120% of Vicks past salary be greater than the avg. salary of the top 5 QBs this coming April?

Tag means 120% of previous salary or avg. of the top 5 at the position in a date set (around April) of the year the tag is applied, whichever is greater. Will 120% of Vicks past salary be greater than the avg. salary of the top 5 QBs this coming April?
No...Vick's would be the average. I was simply pointing out that the formula was not JUST the top five average. Manning's tag value is much MUCH higher than Vick's.

I'm glad to see McDermott go. I n2 seasons under him the Defense looked lost most of the time and had some bright spots occasionally thrown in. Too inconsistent from the part of your team that needs to be solid. I would have loved Rob Ryan in here but andy would never allow a guy with that kind of family pedigree in here to distract from what he does. We'll never see the 3-4 while Andy is HC. I imagine we'll be one of the last teams to try it.

The philosophy isn't a bad one. Focus on the pass rush and coverage and you can have mediocre talent at LB because the D-line takes the pressure off of them. The problem is, they are TERRIBLE at evaluating DL talent. They keep drafting mid level talent in the first round or trying to convert players from other positions to positions they don't naturally play. Brandon Graham would be an excellent OLB or DE in a 3-4 scheme. He's way too small for DE in the 4-3 and its ridiculous even thinking about him at the DT despite him being placed there in real games. They moved up to get Graham when they had a few guys that were more proven at the position that they've played all their college careers yet they went for the project. Then we look at coverage. They haven't drafted a top level corner since Lito and Sheldon. They keep relying on low round talent and rookie FA's to get them by.

To me its obvious that the Eagles basically took these last 2 off-seasons off because of the CBA. They didn't want to spend any more money than they had too. I have no faith in this offseason for them since the CBA is unlikely to get resolved before Free Agency or the draft.

Weird. I think the leash is getting shorter.

Reid has never fired a coach since he has been a head coach. He always let them go on their terms. This week he has now fired two coaches. One that was a young guy in a position he wasn't ready for prolly..that came from within the organization..and Segrest who should have been ####canned last season.

Reid has never fired a coach since he has been a head coach. He always let them go on their terms. This week he has now fired two coaches. One that was a young guy in a position he wasn't ready for prolly..that came from within the organization..and Segrest who should have been ####canned last season.
Has anyone else heard the numbers Mike Missenelli has been quoting about SB winning coaches and how long it took them to win? I believe its 21 of 26 SB winning coaches did so within 4 years of taking over their team. Other then Cower, I don't believe any other coach has been given as much time as Reid.Now that the Eagles are 0-3 in the playoffs since beating the Giants following the '08 season, does Reid need to win at least 1 playoff game next year to keep his job? Especially since they were home favorites yet again this year and lost.

Has anyone else heard the numbers Mike Missenelli has been quoting about SB winning coaches and how long it took them to win? I believe its 21 of 26 SB winning coaches did so within 4 years of taking over their team. Other then Cower, I don't believe any other coach has been given as much time as Reid.Now that the Eagles are 0-3 in the playoffs since beating the Giants following the '08 season, does Reid need to win at least 1 playoff game next year to keep his job? Especially since they were home favorites yet again this year and lost.
I don't think so. I think he's done well enough in the playoffs over the course of his career that he has one more year before he is on the hot seat. Especially if Green Bay ends up going to the Super Bowl. That will put this year's loss in a better light.

I don't think so. I think he's done well enough in the playoffs over the course of his career that he has one more year before he is on the hot seat. Especially if Green Bay ends up going to the Super Bowl. That will put this year's loss in a better light.
I don't know about putting in a better light. Eagles were home favorites and lost a winnable game. And now if that team goes on to win the SB it makes you wonder what might have been. You can argue they lost due to personnel or strategy, but both fall on Reid.I know Reid's done wonderful things since coming to Philly, but I like to look at the team as pre- & post- SB. Post has been far less successful and its been 6 seasons now. In those 6, the Eagles have gone 3-4 in the post season. That's 1 playoff win every other year. Pretty average, imo.

ETA: Reid's 1st 6 seasons - 7-5 playoff record with a SB appearance (incl. 1st season after inheriting a 3-13 team). I think he's still riding that early success.

I don't know about putting in a better light. Eagles were home favorites and lost a winnable game. And now if that team goes on to win the SB it makes you wonder what might have been. You can argue they lost due to personnel or strategy, but both fall on Reid.I know Reid's done wonderful things since coming to Philly, but I like to look at the team as pre- & post- SB. Post has been far less successful and its been 6 seasons now. In those 6, the Eagles have gone 3-4 in the post season. That's 1 playoff win every other year. Pretty average, imo.

ETA: Reid's 1st 6 seasons - 7-5 playoff record with a SB appearance (incl. 1st season after inheriting a 3-13 team). I think he's still riding that early success.
I am just giving you my opinion on what I think the Eagles will do, not on whether it is the right thing to do.I am not arguing that the Eagles since the SB have been better than before the SB. But the Eagles, despite all their warts, still are finding ways to

win games and go to the playoffs. In the last 2 years, I think their injuries have probably been above the league average and have been to some key

positions, and yet they have still managed to win enough games to get to the playoffs.

I think a big key for Reid will be who he picks as DC. He took a chance (and I think rightly so) that McDermott had worked long enough for Johnson that

he would be capable of duplicating Johnson's success as DC. That did not happen. However, if he can pick a good coordinator, and the Eagles defense becomes a top ten defense again next year, then the Eagles definitely have a good enough offense that they can be very successful. If a new DC comes

in and does the same or worse than McDermott, then Reid's seat gets a lot hotter.

Lots of good reads in here

Im not sure what DC I want less ... Juaron or Mora Jr (assuming its not Sr :lmao: )

I'd much rather have **** Jauron, I don't think Mora Jr. would be that good of a coordinator. Jauron probably isn't that much better but the guy probably has a much stabler system that players can get into. He isn't going to be dropping DE's into coverage and weird things like that. It'll probably much more vanilla and predicatable though.

Philly papers have an interesting theory that Eagles are waiting for Green Bay so they can go after Mike Trgovac. He's had a lot of success as d-line coach (including a stint in Philly) and as a DC. I'm liking this option best, if it's an actual possibility.

Philly papers have an interesting theory that Eagles are waiting for Green Bay so they can go after Mike Trgovac. He's had a lot of success as d-line coach (including a stint in Philly) and as a DC. I'm liking this option best, if it's an actual possibility.
Andy Reid generally does not do anything without a plan. The fact that he went on vacation right after letting McDermott go probably indicates that the guy he wants is not available yet. Especially since other teams are hiring DC's left and right, and the Eagles are not doing anything.I think that you are right that the next Eagles DC will come from one of the four remaining playoff teams.

Did they make any mention of a 3-4 coming with that? Just curious.

Mike Lombardo on Sal Pal's show just said that Nnamdi Ashomugha is not a fit for the type of coverage that the Eagles are currently running because he is a press coverage CB and Samuel isn't and that Ashomugha wouldn't be a good fit opposite Samuel. He also threw out some names that might interest the Eagles: Jets D Coordinator Mike Pettine, someone from the Ravens (I think Chuck Pagano I can't remember) and someone who coached at Army who all have experience in running a 4-3/3-4 hybrid.

EDIT: He also said going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 would be disasterous because the Eagles don't have the personnel to do it, and it's difficult to aquire the personnel and that a hybrid would be a wiser choice.

Users who are viewing this thread