What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

(although my heart still says trade Vick, build the O-Line and build with Kolb)
:thumbup: Something in my gut says that they will regret going with Vick over Kolb.
DITTO :shrug:
:X (Though this is getting redundant, I think Kolb is a more long-term viable solution.)
I HOPE we're all wrong because they are going with Vick no matter what but I see the same thing. I did like this idea though.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41623949/sports/player_news

Eagles to target Thigpen as backup plan?

Tyler Thigpen - QB - Miami Dolphins

Feb. 16, 2011 - 1:05 PM ET

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora suggests impending free agent Tyler Thigpen as a backup to Michael Vick if the Eagles end up dealing Kevin Kolb.

Thigpen has the requisite athleticism, arm strength, and competitive streak for the job, so there's never a shortage of media members touting his talents. For purposes of a wake-up call, though, Thigpen has yet to prove he can be even a league-average backup without benefit of a spread offense. The Eagles need a more reliable -- and more accurate -- insurance policy.

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
He has shown flashes of talent and is a mobile QB. Andy has shown he can coach guys up in this system. Thigpen would make a nice, veteran backup more so than Kafka.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kolb's stock so hot Eagles may be forced to dealAfter interviewing GMs and coaches at this week's NFL scouting combine, I'd be surprised if the Philadelphia Eagles don't wind up trading quarterback Kevin Kolb. There just seems to be too much interest in the guy -- and too many teams willing to bid on him -- for the Eagles not to consider a move.The Eagles haven't said that Kolb is for sale, but they haven't said he isn't, either. Coach Andy Reid is a staunch supporter of Kolb and wants to keep him -- as he should. Kolb is young, he is proven and he is under contract for another season. Plus, he backs up Michael Vick, whose wide-open style of play makes him a virtual certainty to be hurt next season ... or any season.But the Eagles may be offered a deal they can't refuse. They're in a position not unlike the one they had last year with Donovan McNabb ... except that Kolb has a future. McNabb had a year left on his contract, too, and the Eagles had to decide to keep him one season or get what they could for him when they could.The situation is similar, except Philadelphia isn't shopping Kolb. According to people at this week's combine, clubs are calling the Eagles and are eager to make a deal. And you can see why. This year's draft class isn't strong at quarterback, with no clear No. 1. Plus, it falls off sharply after Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton, and there's no certainty that either of those guys can make it. So that makes Kolb that much more attractive. He has started, he has won and he's 26. The question, of course, is what it will take to get him. The Eagles years ago shipped backup A.J. Feeley to Miami for a second-round draft pick, but Kolb isn't A.J. Feeley. He's much better and more desirable. They traded McNabb last spring for second and fifth-round draft choices, but Kolb's best years are ahead of him where McNabb's were not.So now the question: What will Kolb command?"I guarantee you it will be high," said one coach. "The Eagles always shoot high."That means a first-rounder and something else, probably another high draft pick, and while that exceeds what Houston quarterback Matt Schaub commanded when the Falcons traded him -- for a flip of first-rounders and two No. 2s -- apparently it hasn't dismayed suitors. Several clubs said they heard there's a bidding war on for Kolb, with clubs desperate to fill the most important position. You can figure that Arizona, San Francisco and Minnesota probably are involved, with all desperate to fill quarterback openings, but they're not saying, and either are the Eagles.All I know is how Philadelphia operates, which is to set the bar high and deal only if they get what they want. A year ago the club went to the NFL scouting combine with Michael Vick available for the right price, which was a second-round pick. But it didn't budge because there was little or no interest. Vick hadn't played in two years and barely played in a third, with teams concerned he might never be the quarterback he was with Atlanta. So they backed off, and the Eagles kept him.But league sources seem to believe Philadelphia can and will get what it demands for Kolb, partly because he is proven, partly because he has a future and mostly because he's better than what's available in the draft.Of course, if and when there's a lockout next week, there can be no trades. Deals would be put on hold until a settlement is reached, and there's no indication a settlement is near. That could complicate or sabotage a trade if a work stoppage goes beyond the April 28-30 draft, with teams no longer able to offer picks in return.

It cracks me up that some journalists create such stories as if it's NFL business as usual. In the real world it's a very hollow feeling knowing that Kolb would draw a 2011 top ten pick but the lack of a CBA will prevent it. :wall:

Beginning to set in that the Eagles could be materially hampered by the CBA as it appears we're getting to one of those rare points when Kolb's value would potentially bring back a "jaw dropping" amount yet, because of the labor situation, we won't be able to act on it. Bummer. :popcorn:

Hopefully I'll have some draft news for you guys soon. I haven't talked the my friend in a few weeks (he's obviously busy) but I'm going to talk to him this weekend.

It cracks me up that some journalists create such stories as if it's NFL business as usual. In the real world it's a very hollow feeling knowing that Kolb would draw a 2011 top ten pick but the lack of a CBA will prevent it. :wall:
Imagine how Kevin feels....

It cracks me up that some journalists create such stories as if it's NFL business as usual. In the real world it's a very hollow feeling knowing that Kolb would draw a 2011 top ten pick but the lack of a CBA will prevent it. :lmao:
Well they have to report on something. We all know that the lack of a CBA trumps everything. Enough articles constructed their opening lines with "None of this matters without a CBA..." that it's just understood. None of our conversations here matter either without a CBA. Yet here we are, business as usual :lmao: .

Well they have to report on something. We all know that the lack of a CBA trumps everything. Enough articles constructed their opening lines with "None of this matters without a CBA..." that it's just understood. None of our conversations here matter either without a CBA. Yet here we are, business as usual :) .
:goodposting: just trying to pass the time in offseason... :kicksrock:

'JetMaxx said:
It cracks me up that some journalists create such stories as if it's NFL business as usual. In the real world it's a very hollow feeling knowing that Kolb would draw a 2011 top ten pick but the lack of a CBA will prevent it. ;)
Imagine how Kevin feels....
I bet. So what game you coming up for next year? :P
Seems to be a little better chance that I will have to come endure the brutal Philly cold, but my money still says I will be enjoying my seat in a nice climate controlled, retractable roof somewhere. They say the fishing is good on Lake Pleasant.... ;) :shrug:

Just a hunch on my part, but I could really see the Eagles taking a later round flyer on Tyrod Taylor from Virginia Tech. They have had success (and a long history) with drafting VT players and Taylor's game fits well as a Vick-like player. The comparisons between the two QBs have been made quite often for numerous reasons and I think he'd be a solid QB2 for 2012 and beyond behind Vick if the Eagles lock up Vick long term.

Just a hunch on my part, but I could really see the Eagles taking a later round flyer on Tyrod Taylor from Virginia Tech. They have had success (and a long history) with drafting VT players and Taylor's game fits well as a Vick-like player. The comparisons between the two QBs have been made quite often for numerous reasons and I think he'd be a solid QB2 for 2012 and beyond behind Vick if the Eagles lock up Vick long term.
Interesting. Everything I've heard is that he's an absolute non-factor as a passer, and that NFL teams are intrigued by him only as a wide receiver, but that he's stubbornly avoiding the conversion for now.

:thumbup: I'd be down with that.

I doubt Kaepernick will last long enough...

'scratcher said:
'loose circuits said:
would be awesome if we could trade Kolb for Patrick Peterson. Think he would solve the problem in the secondary
You read my mind. Kolb for the #7 for Peterson.
We all wish. I'll put a 0.00% chance he is there at 7.

As expected, Vick signed his one-year offer accepting the franchise tag. However Akers won't sign the transition tag. I'm sure he objects more to the one-year deal as opposed to the 2.8 mil. I'm getting the impression Akers doesn't really want to return to the Eagles. From what I've read, he turned down a previous extension. After the playoff loss he commented he "didn't want his time in Philly to end that way" and now he won't agree to the transition tag.

Does he return next year?

I don't see the Eagles letting Akers leave frankly, although I think there's more to his unhappiness than the length of his contract.

Interesting. Everything I've heard is that he's an absolute non-factor as a passer, and that NFL teams are intrigued by him only as a wide receiver, but that he's stubbornly avoiding the conversion for now.
He's a better passer than many think. He didn't get much help from his receivers this past year and frankly I think VT's offensive scheme is suspect to begin with. The OC should be replaced as he doesn't get what he should from the passing game. Josh Morgan and Eddie Royal were very underutilized while they were there. The Hokies tend to lean on running the ball, special teams, defense and creative play by a running QB. I don't blame Taylor for sticking to being a QB because he's not that bad at all. Great? No. Backup NFL caliber? Yes.

He's a better passer than many think. He didn't get much help from his receivers this past year and frankly I think VT's offensive scheme is suspect to begin with. The OC should be replaced as he doesn't get what he should from the passing game. Josh Morgan and Eddie Royal were very underutilized while they were there. The Hokies tend to lean on running the ball, special teams, defense and creative play by a running QB. I don't blame Taylor for sticking to being a QB because he's not that bad at all. Great? No. Backup NFL caliber? Yes.
I agree with your assessment of VT football, but disagree on Taylor's prospects. He could become backup caliber with a couple years of work in an NFL system....but who wants a guy who could become? His best bet in the NFL is as a WR.ETA: I could see him as a 6-7th round flyer as a guy who might sit behind Kafka for a bit...and that's assuming they trade Kolb.

Aren't we forgetting Kafka a bit too quickly??????

ETA: I could see him as a 6-7th round flyer as a guy who might sit behind Kafka for a bit...and that's assuming they trade Kolb.Aren't we forgetting Kafka a bit too quickly??????
If they trade Kolb, they have to sign a vet backup right? With Vick, you have to assume a start or two from a backup, and you don't want to forfeit those games. Not giving up on Kafka, but he's in no way ready to help the Eagles.Doesn't rule out spending a pick on Tayler as he could be rosterable as a KR, 6th WR, Brad Smith type until he gets an opp at QB.

I agree with your assessment of VT football, but disagree on Taylor's prospects. He could become backup caliber with a couple years of work in an NFL system....but who wants a guy who could become? His best bet in the NFL is as a WR.ETA: I could see him as a 6-7th round flyer as a guy who might sit behind Kafka for a bit...and that's assuming they trade Kolb.

Each and every QB that comes out of the draft is a "could become" something. In my eyes, each qb is a could become great/could become garbage. You have no idea until they play. As for Kafka, I think perhaps we are forgetting that he's there a bit quick, but at the same time we have the veteran (Vick) who could mentor other QBs. Why not have two young guys on the roster at the same time. Then we might end up with two good qb's at once, and end up in the same situation we're in now. Trade one away and use the other.

Each and every QB that comes out of the draft is a "could become" something. In my eyes, each qb is a could become great/could become garbage. You have no idea until they play. As for Kafka, I think perhaps we are forgetting that he's there a bit quick, but at the same time we have the veteran (Vick) who could mentor other QBs. Why not have two young guys on the roster at the same time. Then we might end up with two good qb's at once, and end up in the same situation we're in now. Trade one away and use the other.
Absolutely we draft based on "could become"...I'm saying that T. Taylor "could become" a viable backup, but I don't see him as a starter...ever. He has some serious flaws in his game. SO...yeah a 6 or 7th round pick under the right circumstances, but not someone worth going out of your way for.

Going back to Juan Castillo as DC. It was obviously unexpected and questioned by everyone. However, I must say I admire and appreciate that Andy Reid is able to make a decision like this. He obviously knows the kind of backlash it will cause, but is willing to make the change because he thinks it is best for the team. This is going to be another one of those situations where we love to question Reid and call him out, but he always seems to be right about these things. I fully expect Juan Castillo to take the defense to the next level.

Going back to Juan Castillo as DC. It was obviously unexpected and questioned by everyone. However, I must say I admire and appreciate that Andy Reid is able to make a decision like this. He obviously knows the kind of backlash it will cause, but is willing to make the change because he thinks it is best for the team. This is going to be another one of those situations where we love to question Reid and call him out, but he always seems to be right about these things. I fully expect Juan Castillo to take the defense to the next level.
Ultimately we'll have to wait to see if this was a smart move. But after the initial shock, I agree with you that it's something I respect. Had it simply been Castillo to DC, it would still be baffling. But the fact we added Mudd to replace Castillo and brought Washburn aboard, really makes me think we MATERIALLY improved our coaching ranks this offseason, and we already had one of the better coaching units in the NFC.

The positive news about the CBA could be great news for the Eagles since they would have the opportunity to trade Kolb before this years draft. Anytime you have potentially 3 or 4 teams interested in a player, you are going to get maximum value. Now if the Eagles are able to trade Kolb, I hope they have a plan as to another veteran QB to come in and act as back-up until Kafka is ready to move into that role. Relying on Kafka to be back-up this year is just a little to risky when your team has great potential and your starting QB is likely to miss a few games.

If the CBA is not settled before the draft, then the Eagles would not get maximum value for Kolb, and I think he would likely play out his contract in Philadelphia in 2011 as back-up QB.

Well he wasn't right about the slew of defensive coaches who all just got the boot, and they were all hand picked by Reid and groomed in-house for their positions. Its still a baffling move and yes the additions of Mudd and Washburn were great. Hopefully Castillo can adjust to making in-game calls and adjustments as well as creating game plans; things he's never done.

I agree that, as Eagles fans, we need to be hoping for a quick resolution to this CBA negotiation more than almost any other team. Kolb is THE hot commodity and it appears that the Eagles would be willing to move him, and for once there will be a multitude of bidders willing to give us a hefty ransom.

I agree that, as Eagles fans, we need to be hoping for a quick resolution to this CBA negotiation more than almost any other team. Kolb is THE hot commodity and it appears that the Eagles would be willing to move him, and for once there will be a multitude of bidders willing to give us a hefty ransom.
Seriously. Its like fate is smacking us in the face. We never have the situation where we can pull off the big trade and cash in on the HOT commoddity. It finally comes and we have a once in a lifetime event blocking it. Speculating in a realistic way though, there are at least 3 teams in the top 10 that are in serious need of a QB. Kolb and 1-23 for 1-5 and a 3rd would be a good deal, IMO. Would be able to get a defensive player that can actually make an impact and if a rookie wage scale comes in, the Eagles will be delighted to not have to pay him a massive salary.

Seriously. Its like fate is smacking us in the face. We never have the situation where we can pull off the big trade and cash in on the HOT commoddity. It finally comes and we have a once in a lifetime event blocking it. Speculating in a realistic way though, there are at least 3 teams in the top 10 that are in serious need of a QB. Kolb and 1-23 for 1-5 and a 3rd would be a good deal, IMO. Would be able to get a defensive player that can actually make an impact and if a rookie wage scale comes in, the Eagles will be delighted to not have to pay him a massive salary.
Excellent point about the rookie wage scale. Not having to tie up significant cap dollars in an unproven rookie is what the Eagles are all about.The rookie wage scale is going to make top draft picks that much more attractive and should help the have nots in the league by letting them draft high at a cheaper price or trading the pick and getting a great package in return.

Excellent point about the rookie wage scale. Not having to tie up significant cap dollars in an unproven rookie is what the Eagles are all about.The rookie wage scale is going to make top draft picks that much more attractive and should help the have nots in the league by letting them draft high at a cheaper price or trading the pick and getting a great package in return.
It sucks for rookies financially but I think it makes the game better. It takes a lot of the pressure associated with the top picks off of those players who feel they have to prove they are worthy of the big contract. It will take away a little bit of the animosity rookies feel from veterans who are making less than they are despite being in the league and producing. It allows teams that are terrible to build through the draft without being severely penalized for one bad decision. It also lets teams at the middle or back of the first round to make a legitimate offer for those top spots without fear of being stuck with a huge debt for guessing wrong thus compounding their error. All around, its an idea I'm sure both sides will agree to have in the new CBA.

On Moving The Chains, they were talking about how MINN might overpay for Kolb because right now the Vikes' only QB is Joe Webb. Talked about how Kolb would be a fit there but the Vikes would appear desperate after losing both Old Man Farvruh and Tarvaris.

Looking at alot of the mock drafts, they have the eagles taking either Carimi or Jimmy Smith. This seems very logical, which is exactly why the Eagles wont do it. The Eagles hardly ever draft by need and rarely spend a first round pick on OL or CB. Unfortunately, I see a DT or DE in the future. I'm hoping I'm wrong. You would think we'd drafted enough DE's last year to last us a few years. Ideally, I'd like to see both OL and CB in the first (assuming we trade Kolb).

Looking at alot of the mock drafts, they have the eagles taking either Carimi or Jimmy Smith. This seems very logical, which is exactly why the Eagles wont do it. The Eagles hardly ever draft by need and rarely spend a first round pick on OL or CB. Unfortunately, I see a DT or DE in the future. I'm hoping I'm wrong. You would think we'd drafted enough DE's last year to last us a few years. Ideally, I'd like to see both OL and CB in the first (assuming we trade Kolb).
I'm really hoping we sign Asomugha so we can focus elsewhere in the draft. Assuming there IS free agency before the draft...

Completely true. They value DT and DE so much but seem to have the worst talent evaluation in those areas. They usually do better picking OL or DB's in the first under Reid's drafting history. Has a single DL worked out for him excluding Graham since its still early? Only one I can think of that was worth the 1st was Simon. Patterson and Bunkley are mediocre at best. McDougle was a waste. Their best DL picks of the last 12 years has been Trent cole (05-5th) followed by Raheem Brock (02-7th) and Derrick Burgess (01-3rd) the later 2 obviously not productive for us. Maybe they should focus on areas of need as a novel approach to the draft. Secondary is a glaring hole.

Reported on NFL Radio

The Eagles have an offer on the table for Kolb that includes a 1st round pick

Too bad with no CBA before the draft that it won't happen :(

Hopefully I'll have some draft news for you guys soon. I haven't talked the my friend in a few weeks (he's obviously busy) but I'm going to talk to him this weekend.
Any news you can share DH?
Not much, or I would have let you guys know. Here's what I do know:1. The Eagles do indeed have an offer for Kolb and it's a first rounder. He could not name names, but from the hints, I suspect it's Seattle. This has been reported already though, so I didn't see much point in re-hashing.2. Expect them to take a CB in the first as they like quite a few of them. Don't shoot the messanger. ;) They planned on talking to Aso, but that's in flux obviously because of the labor talks.3. I DO NOT expect them to take O-line in the first unless one guy they really like will drop. Again, I have no names (yet ;) ). They think similar talent can be found in the second. 4. Don't expect a trade up unless they get an insane deal.

Not much, or I would have let you guys know. Here's what I do know:1. The Eagles do indeed have an offer for Kolb and it's a first rounder. He could not name names, but from the hints, I suspect it's Seattle. This has been reported already though, so I didn't see much point in re-hashing.2. Expect them to take a CB in the first as they like quite a few of them. Don't shoot the messanger. ;) They planned on talking to Aso, but that's in flux obviously because of the labor talks.3. I DO NOT expect them to take O-line in the first unless one guy they really like will drop. Again, I have no names (yet ;) ). They think similar talent can be found in the second. 4. Don't expect a trade up unless they get an insane deal.
Thanks for the quick reply.

If by some miracle the league gets a deal done by the draft, do you hear anything about whether its an extra 1st rounder or a move up in the first? If it's Seattle, its most likely just an extra 1st I guess. On the 2nd point, thats great to hear. I hope its true because they need to revamp the secondary again. I'm hoping for a huge overhaul like the Lito/Sheldon draft. They are about 3 years over due for a DB draft. OL help is needed but interior linemen are usually 2nd rounders anyway unless they are insane talents (Pouncey last year, ugh).

'Insein said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'roarlions said:
If by some miracle the league gets a deal done by the draft, do you hear anything about whether its an extra 1st rounder or a move up in the first? If it's Seattle, its most likely just an extra 1st I guess. On the 2nd point, thats great to hear. I hope its true because they need to revamp the secondary again. I'm hoping for a huge overhaul like the Lito/Sheldon draft. They are about 3 years over due for a DB draft. OL help is needed but interior linemen are usually 2nd rounders anyway unless they are insane talents (Pouncey last year, ugh).
Yeah, it's an 'extra' first. My buddy and rest of the staff are pretty frustrated right now because they really think they can get a good haul of picks for Kolb.

'Insein said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'roarlions said:
Yeah, it's an 'extra' first. My buddy and rest of the staff are pretty frustrated right now because they really think they can get a good haul of picks for Kolb.
That does make it very frustrating because we could use some high round picks for a change.

'Insein said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'roarlions said:
That does make it very frustrating because we could use some high round picks for a change.
As I understand it there doesn't have to be a new CBA before the draft they just need the the Judge to rule against the Owners lockout on April 6 ( which is likely) and it will essentially be business as usual in regards to trades etc. Outside of a new CBA being agreed the union decertifying was the next best thing for the Eagles in regard to trading Kolb.

Has there been any talk about what the Eagles would do for backup QB if Kolb is traded? Would they be interested in Hasselbeck as part of a deal with Seattle? Any other QBs available that would fit the Eagles system but wouldn't cost much? A bit unsettling to think of Kafka as being the primary backup to Vick.

Has there been any talk about what the Eagles would do for backup QB if Kolb is traded? Would they be interested in Hasselbeck as part of a deal with Seattle? Any other QBs available that would fit the Eagles system but wouldn't cost much? A bit unsettling to think of Kafka as being the primary backup to Vick.
My friend works primarily on the draft side of things so I don't get much info from him about things that don't pertain to the draft. I do know that they like Kafka quite a bit but I'd be shocked if they don't get a Vet replacement for WHEN Vick goes down.

wouldn't need a deal with Seattle for Hasselbeck, he's a free agent. Although, he's obviously asking for too much money or they would have signed him. He may try to take advantage of a QB needy market

Kafka has to prove he's ready at some point. Already buzz about how much the staff liked him during last pre-season

My friend works primarily on the draft side of things so I don't get much info from him about things that don't pertain to the draft. I do know that they like Kafka quite a bit but I'd be shocked if they don't get a Vet replacement for WHEN Vick goes down.
Hey DH,I'd be interested if any Hokie names are coming up - in particular either Evans or Tyrod Taylor.

Users who are viewing this thread