What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012-13 Hot Stove Thread (2 Viewers)

'Notorious T.R.E. said:
'Mr. Peterson said:
Anyone know whats going on with Shaun Marcum? Is he gonna be healthy soon and an asset? Just traded for him and not sure if I made a mistake.Also, which OF would you rather have? Carl Crawford or Ichiro Suzuki?Thank you.
I want to know what you gave for Marcum...I'd take Crawford.
Bonifacio from the Jays. Too much?

Umm...good luck. Impossible to rule out a team before the season starts, but this team is going to need some in-season massaging to compete.
That's a given in Cake
I'd bet in a 16 team league, two elite starters, an elite closer, and two strong supporting arms definitely will make it harder for him to compete though. Pitching over kill.
I was surprised that he went pitcher in rounds 2-3-4. He had three arms at a time when some other teams didn't have any. Sometimes a contrarian drafting strategy can work out. Zagging when everybody else is zigging can result in high value picks.
That's exactly what I was attempting to do. That's a sharp group of drafters and I didn't feel like there was good value in the hitters I was looking when OTC in those rounds. Rather than follow the herd and end up in the middle of the pack in everything, I decided to role the dice and be the contrarian.Not the best team I drafted, and it certainly took a hit when Chapman was moved back to closer, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying I should be able to be take a good portion of the pitching cats while middling in many of the hitting cats with the hope that I can find a way to make improvements in the OF during the season.

'Notorious T.R.E. said:
'Mr. Peterson said:
Anyone know whats going on with Shaun Marcum? Is he gonna be healthy soon and an asset? Just traded for him and not sure if I made a mistake.Also, which OF would you rather have? Carl Crawford or Ichiro Suzuki?Thank you.
I want to know what you gave for Marcum...I'd take Crawford.
Bonifacio from the Jays. Too much?
Just about anything is too much imo. I'd rather have boner even though his play situation looks nightmarish.

Umm...good luck. Impossible to rule out a team before the season starts, but this team is going to need some in-season massaging to compete.
That's a given in Cake
I'd bet in a 16 team league, two elite starters, an elite closer, and two strong supporting arms definitely will make it harder for him to compete though. Pitching over kill.
I was surprised that he went pitcher in rounds 2-3-4. He had three arms at a time when some other teams didn't have any. Sometimes a contrarian drafting strategy can work out. Zagging when everybody else is zigging can result in high value picks.
Absolutely, in the end it's about picking the right guys, preseason and in-season. The 16 team league I used to be in required > 120 points to win, with his strategy he probably has to get 70 something from his arms and scratch and claw for 50 from his bats. As is he doesn't have it, end of season? We'll see. Good health and stumbling upon this year's Carlos Gomez cures all.

That's a given in Cake
Absolutely, in the end it's about picking the right guys, preseason and in-season. The 16 team league I used to be in required > 120 points to win, with his strategy he probably has to get 70 something from his arms and scratch and claw for 50 from his bats. As is he doesn't have it, end of season? We'll see. Good health and stumbling upon this year's Carlos Gomez cures all.
Is this after running the numbers on the other 15 teams, or are we just speaking in our know-it-all tone again?

That's a given in Cake
Is this after running the numbers on the other 15 teams, or are we just speaking in our know-it-all tone again?
If you want a legit response try stop being a #####.

That's a given in Cake
If you want a legit response try stop being a #####.
So that wasn't legitimate analysis? Lots of name calling going on in this thread, and none of it is from me. :popcorn:

Cashner starting as the long man?

Cashner made his third start of the spring Tuesday, allowing two runs on three hits and two walks, while notching four strikeouts in four innings, during San Diego's Cactus League loss to San Francisco.

Spin:

Cashner racked up 72 pitches, while his fastball was clocked at 94-97 mph, so he appears to be over the lacerated tendon in his right thumb that put his status for Opening Day in doubt. The final spot in the rotation will go to either Tyson Ross or Anthony Bass to begin the season, but Cashner appears poised to act as the Padres' long man in the bullpen, with the potential for spot starts likely in his future.
I didn't realize the Fathers had made this decision already? :confused:

Cashner made his third start of the spring Tuesday, allowing two runs on three hits and two walks, while notching four strikeouts in four innings, during San Diego's Cactus League loss to San Francisco.

Spin:

Cashner racked up 72 pitches, while his fastball was clocked at 94-97 mph, so he appears to be over the lacerated tendon in his right thumb that put his status for Opening Day in doubt. The final spot in the rotation will go to either Tyson Ross or Anthony Bass to begin the season, but Cashner appears poised to act as the Padres' long man in the bullpen, with the potential for spot starts likely in his future.
Nothing final according to this

SD SportingNews ‏@SD_SportingNews 3h #Padres opening week rotation: Volquez, Richard, Stults and Marquis. No word on No. 5 yet. Still between Cashner and Ross. #Padres #SDSN

Spin:

SD SportingNews ‏@SD_SportingNews 3h #Padres opening week rotation: Volquez, Richard, Stults and Marquis. No word on No. 5 yet. Still between Cashner and Ross. #Padres #SDSN
Cashner got a very late start to ST because of his thumb injury. They've been bringing him along slowly and isn't at his full pitch count yet. I wouldn't cut bait on him if he isn't in the rotation from game 1. None of the other starters are very good.

Spin:

Cashner got a very late start to ST because of his thumb injury. They've been bringing him along slowly and isn't at his full pitch count yet. I wouldn't cut bait on him if he isn't in the rotation from game 1. None of the other starters are very good.
Edison Volquez will once again spend plenty of time on my rosters this year as a spot starter.

If your league is deep enough to roster Cashner no reason to consider dropping him. Long relief fill now, he will start sometime soon, just don't know when. Padres are always roster worthy... Except marquis anyway.

Boneface will get quite a few AB's as a super utility guy until he beats out that schmo who's at 2b
And that schmo who's at 2b is at 3b because that schmo with all of the tattoos is hurt.
And because Bonerface hit .304 with 17 hits and stolen 8 bags in ST.
Not really.
Yes, really.
If Maicer didn't have to move to third they would be in some kind of time share at 2B. :shrug:

I would seriously temper my expectations on Cashner.

Yes, he pitches in Petco, and yes, he throws it really hard.

However, the team he pitches on is bad. He walks way too many batters. And he has a total of 111 innings pitched in the past 3 years combined.

I honestly thought he would be better suited for the bullpen. He's 26 years old, so while not old, not very young either.

I would look for Volquez-like results from him, tbh - and I don't exactly see people jumping out of their way to grab Edison (who I also feel is a more polished starter).

I doubt anyone is really expecting Cashner to be the lead dog for a fantasy squad, but he offers upside, and we all look for that breakout arm every year. He has the stuff to put up dominant numbers, but it won't happen if the opportunity isn't there.

The words "spot start" are what bugged me from the blurb.

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronAstros 2h#Houston #Astros GM Jeff Luhnow said organization will use tandem starting-pitching rotations at all four of club's minor-league levels.
Astros tell @ChronAstros that they won't let minor-league starters throw more than 75 pitches in a game. Hard to see how that helps.
:tfp:

I'm willing to give that theory a chance. Lots of guys are effective the first time through the order, only to see their effectiveness slip dramatically each time through afterwards. It makes sense that you could have a guy be effective for 3 or 4 innings and then move on to the next one. I wonder if there are any perceived arm-injury prevention benefits associated with this style of staff assembly.

I'm willing to give that theory a chance. Lots of guys are effective the first time through the order, only to see their effectiveness slip dramatically each time through afterwards. It makes sense that you could have a guy be effective for 3 or 4 innings and then move on to the next one. I wonder if there are any perceived arm-injury prevention benefits associated with this style of staff assembly.
I think it's only a change at the higher levels because young arms in the low minors are already usually working with a pitch limit. The injury prevention theory sounds plausible but the jury is out whether this will have any real effect.The biggest potential downside is that it might make it harder for the Astros to shuttle in starters from AAA. They'd need 1-2 major league starts to stretch out from 75 to a higher limit. That could have some residual impact on the bullpen. Of course, the Houston rotation is set in stone so minor league callups won't be necessary.

I think it's only a change at the higher levels because young arms in the low minors are already usually working with a pitch limit. The injury prevention theory sounds plausible but the jury is out whether this will have any real effect.The biggest potential downside is that it might make it harder for the Astros to shuttle in starters from AAA. They'd need 1-2 major league starts to stretch out from 75 to a higher limit. That could have some residual impact on the bullpen. Of course, the Houston rotation is set in stone so minor league callups won't be necessary.
I guess I just assumed this was something they planned on implementing at the MLB level in the near future since they are moving the entire minor league system to this throwing plan.

I guess I just assumed this was something they planned on implementing at the MLB level in the near future since they are moving the entire minor league system to this throwing plan.
It didn't work out well for the Rockies last season. It's harder to find 8 quality arms than 5.I think it's fine for the minors because development and injury avoidance are higher priorities than winning. That's generally not the case for MLB, even for the Astros.

I'm for anyone that challenges long-standing baseball dogma.

It didn't work out well for the Rockies last season. It's harder to find 8 quality arms than 5.I think it's fine for the minors because development and injury avoidance are higher priorities than winning. That's generally not the case for MLB, even for the Astros.
Were the Rockies doing this throughout their system before putting it into use at the MLB level? Seems to me you could find 10-12 guys that can get 3 or 4 innings an outing if your whole organization is working towards it. It would have to be something management committed to for a good decade to get a feel for how effective it could be. Gives you time to cycle through guys, tweak pitch counts and strategy, etc. The Rockies' staff was so terrible that it may have been doomed from the outset.

I have often wondered what a staff of 13 relievers would produce. If you can get two innings per outing while throwing guys once every three days, seems as though it could be highly effective and cost efficient. No reason a bad team shouldn't give this a whirl. Maybe the Marlins should try this.

I have often wondered what a staff of 13 relievers would produce. If you can get two innings per outing while throwing guys once every three days, seems as though it could be highly effective and cost efficient. No reason a bad team shouldn't give this a whirl. Maybe the Marlins should try this.
Fangraphs did an article on this very theory. I forget what the results were.

Fangraphs did an article on this very theory. I forget what the results were.
Awesome. If anyone has a link I'll take it.

The two big problems I see are:It doesn't maximize the value of a team's top talent. Distributing IP evenly among a 13 man staff would give everybody around 111. That's taking 90 IP from your ace and giving them to somebody else.It reduces situational flexibility to use PH and specialist relievers. There are guys like LOOGYs and sidearmers who are positive assets over a couple of batters but would get exposed over a longer stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread