What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012-13 Hot Stove Thread (1 Viewer)

This is kind of a backdoor rate my team troll but I want your opinion on whose team is better for some side-bet action I'm exploring.$200 entry. Been around for 10+ years. 15-team league. Redraft. 25-man roster. Head to head points league. It's all play. So every week is a horse race. If you have the top score you go 14-0. Third best score you go 12-2.Very similar to most points league but our starting pitching scoring is ramped up. 15pts/win and 7pts/QS. Another difference is our hitters get 2pts per rbi/run. The rest is similar to points league settings. Saves are 10pts. #1 hitter last year was Cabrera at 946pts, Braun #2 at 900pts. #1 SP was Dickey at 961. Verlander #2 at 907pts.We start: C, 1b, 2b, SS, 3b, 3Of, UTL. 5SP and 2Closers. Starting sp's who get two starts in a given week is a huge deal.Team A:C- Mauer1b- C. Santana2b- J. AltuveSS- Tulo3b- BeltreOF- Kemp, McCutchen, MorseUTL- KonerkoSP's- Zimmerman, Morrow, Minor, Iwakuma, AJ Griffin, Marquis, Stults, Matusz, Danks, S. Miller, J. Niemann, Arrietta, Villaneuva.Closers- Street, RondonBench- A. SorianoTeam B:C- Posey1B- P. Fielder2b- ScutaroSS- Alexi Ramirez3b- LongoriaOF- Braun, A. Gordon, A. EatonUTL- E. EncarnacionSP- Moore, Lester, B. Anderson, Milone, Masterson, Fiers, McCarthy, M. Garza, Teheran, Romero, Tillman, PeraltaClosers- Parnell, Jansen.Bench- C. Granderson, C. Hart.Both our SP's are nothing special. But having depth/innings-eaters and getting two-start pitchers is key IMO and sp's just went nuts early in my "friendly" league. 30 of first 60 picks were SP's.Imagine I could side-bet the guy for 500+. Which team would you rather have? Would be for best record over our 17-week regular season.
We bet $200. Played it down a bit considering how many of you gave the edge to his team (Team A).He has offered a $100 for who scores more his C. Santana or my Posey. I have to take that right? Posey 725pts last year, Santana 606.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 26mHearing rumblings of major news... More to come.I have a bad feeling this could involve PEDs and Braun or A-Rod. Don't see what other *major news* would qualify rumblings at this time of year. Only other thing I could think of is a team being sold or moved and there has been no indications of that.
On his podcast yesterday Olney seemed to be very bullish on the possibility of MLB disciplining Braun. If suspensions are coming, right before opening day doesn't seem to be an ideal time PR-wise for MLB.
Suspending anyone for 50 games isn't good PR-wise for MLB.
I present to you, Alex Rodriguez.
when was he suspended?
Not saying he was. Saying that gutting that cancer out of the belly that is MLB, on opening day, wouldn't be bad PR for MLB

Strasburg going way too early in these drafts.
Again I agree but there are a lot of players out there who think he will do better or as well as Verlander or Kershaw
I like Stras better than Kershaw and him coming close to Verlander would not surprise me.Still wouldn't consider him until the 3rd or 4th round though.
I'm curious as to why. Kershaw is about as "money in the bank" as they come.
I don't trust Clayton's hip and Stras was a ridiculous level of dominant so quickly after TJ surgery.
Kershaw has demonstrated dominance over two consecutive years, Strasburg has never done that because of injuries yet you are taking Strasburg higher because of Kershaw's hip. Logic down?
Strasburg's elbow is fully healed, Kershaw's hip surgery happened this offseason plus he was just held back with an Achilles strain.
Making stuff up now to support your faulty logic?First off, Kershaw has never had hip surgery. The Achilles injury also wasn't a strain
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Dodgers Opening Day starter Clayton Kershaw said his left Achilles was sore Sunday, one day after being struck by a comebacker, but he doesn't expect to miss a start or any practice time.

ockquote>Secondly, you don't know who is healthy and who isn't or what impacts specific surgeries have on an individual player. So don't pretend like you do. :bye:
You're missing the point, as always. Kershaw has injury concerns. Concerns that are more recent than Strasburg's.
:lmao:

@TBTimes_Rays: Hearing #Rays have traded Shields AND Davis to #Royals. Working on confirmation and return

PleasebeMyerspleasebeMyerspleasebeMyers
It has to be
Reportedly the Rays were holding out for more than him, which seemed odd to me. But if Davis is included it definitely has to be him and another decent bat.
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_RosenthalSource: #Rays will send James Shields and Wade Davis to #Royals for Wil Myers and other prospects.
So this is going well.

@TBTimes_Rays: Hearing #Rays have traded Shields AND Davis to #Royals. Working on confirmation and return

PleasebeMyerspleasebeMyerspleasebeMyers
It has to be
Reportedly the Rays were holding out for more than him, which seemed odd to me. But if Davis is included it definitely has to be him and another decent bat.
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_RosenthalSource: #Rays will send James Shields and Wade Davis to #Royals for Wil Myers and other prospects.
So this is going well.
Shields is pitching well at least. Too bad his team needs 24 other good players.

They should trade him at the deadline, but they probably won't because Dayton Moore has illicit pictures of Royals ownership that enables him to keep his job.

Mike Adams reportedly signs with the Phil's for 3/18m.

My link
A lot of people say "Moneyball only works for so long, then other teams figure out what you're doing." Well, not all teams. Yuck.
It's 2/12 with a vesting option, FWIW, and the requirements are not gimmes.
Adams' deal includes a club option for 2015 that would become guaranteed at $6 million if he has 65 games pitched in 2014. His 2015 salary would become guaranteed at $6.5 million if he has 120 games pitched in 2013 and 2014 combined, with at least 60 in 2014.
Phillies' bullpen completely killed them last year. I realize that bullpen pitchers are highly variable, but it seems like it is worth the risk.
Even if he stays healthy, I still don't think that's a great move. He's average. :shrug:
This also went well.

I think that most people expected Shields to do well enough. That was not a cause for criticism in and of itself.
Shields has been great. Better than I thought. Still a really stupid trade for KC.
The only way the trade would have possibly worked is if all the complimentary pieces in KC fell into place. Some held up their end of the bargain: Shields has been great, Santana has been better than Dayton Moore could have expected, Butler, Gordon and Hosmer have been good enough although none took a big step up. Guthrie has been the innings eater that he's always been. The bullpen could have been better but it's been OK. Other guys have been disappointing but that happens every year.

Even with all these things going right, they're still two games under .500 and seven games out of the wild card. They could get hot and make a run but they now seem to be constructed like a #8 NBA playoff seed. They're good enough to hang around but not good enough to compete for a championship or bottom out for a top lottery pick. Wil Myers was that lottery pick :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread