What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2012 MINNESOTA TWINS THREAD*** (2 Viewers)

Willingham looks like either a wash or a small upgrade from Cuddyer. Neither are good defensively, Willingham draws more walks and has a bit better SLG. If they got him for less than Cuddyer signs for, then it looks better. I'll miss Cuddyer though and wish him success wherever he goes.

Willingham looks like either a wash or a small upgrade from Cuddyer. Neither are good defensively, Willingham draws more walks and has a bit better SLG. If they got him for less than Cuddyer signs for, then it looks better. I'll miss Cuddyer though and wish him success wherever he goes.
cuddy is a fan favorite, but he would not agree to terms with the Twins, I like the extra HR pop in Willinghams bat

The Willingham deal brings the team's projected budget to around $94 million on what GM Terry Ryan said will be a total payroll of around $100 million, and Ryan has yet to sign a starting pitcher — which is a priority. Looks like the Twins are about done signing fa

The Willingham deal brings the team's projected budget to around $94 million on what GM Terry Ryan said will be a total payroll of around $100 million, and Ryan has yet to sign a starting pitcher — which is a priority. Looks like the Twins are about done signing fa
Oh goodyI guess we can start talking to castoff and reject pitchers now...Since Dusty Hughes and Sean Bergman were AWESOME signings in past Twins attempts at faking the act of putting together a good team AND the fact that Kubel just went to the D-BacksThis will be the worst team in the AL next year and should be in all of baseball!Thank God Terry Ryan is back!

Kubel to the d-backs for 15m for two years. Good thing we traded young to detroit, he be wanting about 15m per year based on what cutty and kubel got

Kubel has a quality bat but I don't mind seeing him leave. Was there even a spot for him? The OF is full and Mauer, Morneau, and Parmelee will see plenty of time at DH. If Kubel weren't such a liability in the field I'd be more upset about this, but I'd rather have the draft pick here.

Kubel has a quality bat but I don't mind seeing him leave. Was there even a spot for him? The OF is full and Mauer, Morneau, and Parmelee will see plenty of time at DH. If Kubel weren't such a liability in the field I'd be more upset about this, but I'd rather have the draft pick here.
I think ideally the Twins would still move one of Span/Revere. Now if they do that, they'll need another OFer. That could be Joe Benson I guess, but it seems he needs a bit of time in AAA. Or maybe a Luke Scott via FA. (or the Yoenis Cespedes pipe dream :wub: )Still, I'd be all over that Storen for Span deal. The Twins wanted Lombardozzi and Storen and the Nats balked. I think they could get Bernadina with Storen, which could be somewhat useful as well.Edit: $7.5MM per is too much for Kubel though. So I don't fault them for letting him go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Twins, seeking to boost their starting rotation, are close to signing free-agent right-hander Jason Marquis, according to a major-league source.

Marquis, 33, went 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA for the Nationals last season before getting traded to the Diamondbacks on July 30 — and suffering a season-ending fractured right tibia in his third start after the deal.

The Twins will be Marquis' seventh team and his first in the AL. He is 104-98 in his career with a 4.55 ERA.

source Fox Sports

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Every one of those guys came here for a reason. We felt like we had a need. We went after guys with character, and I think those guys have that. I feel like we've accomplished a few things. In past years, the Twins have never been noted to go out and do much in the free agent world. This year has been a little bit of a change." — GM Terry Ryan, on the group of free agents the team signed this offseason. Minnesota has added RHP Jason Marquis, C Ryan Doumit, OF Josh Willingham and INF Jamey Carroll, in addition to re-signing closer Matt Capps.

'Gopher State said:
Twins have never been noted to go out and do much in the free agent world. This year has been a little bit of a change." — GM Terry Ryan
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Jason Marquis, Ryan Doumit, Josh Willingham and Jamey Carroll. Yea, you really went all out this year Terry. Good god. :lmao:

Obviously the key to the Twins season is the health of Mauer and Morneau. THe team has alot of money invested in those 2. I would be more confident in Mauer than Morneau at this point (although he will never approach his fluky home run total of a couple years ago).

If those two are healthy, they can absolutely be competitive. I also put the chance they both stay healthy at 1 %.

And there are worse rotations in the AL then the Twins.

Obviously the key to the Twins season is the health of Mauer and Morneau. THe team has alot of money invested in those 2. I would be more confident in Mauer than Morneau at this point (although he will never approach his fluky home run total of a couple years ago).If those two are healthy, they can absolutely be competitive. I also put the chance they both stay healthy at 1 %.And there are worse rotations in the AL then the Twins.
I would agree with a rotation of Carl Pavano, Scott Baker, Francisco Liriano and Nick Blackburn, Marquis, the pitching could be better then what people expect, and the Willingham and Doumit signings are solid.

Obviously the key to the Twins season is the health of Mauer and Morneau. THe team has alot of money invested in those 2. I would be more confident in Mauer than Morneau at this point (although he will never approach his fluky home run total of a couple years ago).If those two are healthy, they can absolutely be competitive. I also put the chance they both stay healthy at 1 %.And there are worse rotations in the AL then the Twins.
I would agree with a rotation of Carl Pavano, Scott Baker, Francisco Liriano and Nick Blackburn, Marquis, the pitching could be better then what people expect, and the Willingham and Doumit signings are solid.
Doumit is going to be a big help vs. lefties (.902 OPS v. lefties in 2011). He also can play catcher and first base, so he can spell Morneau and Mauer and allow them to DH occasionallyAnd the staff, although without a true ace, is not bad at all 1-5. Baker had a very nice rebound season.Like I said, you put in a healthy Morneau and Mauer, and that is a very good offense.

Like I said, you put in a healthy Morneau and Mauer, and that is a very good offense.
I'm not seeing it.Their outfield is bad. Willingham, Span and Revere is one of the worst offensive outfield in the AL.Their infield, minus Mauer and Morneau isn't much either. However it shakes out with Casilla, Carroll, Nishioka, Plouffe, Valencia, I can't imagine too much coming from them.

'the moops said:
'Gopher State said:
Twins have never been noted to go out and do much in the free agent world. This year has been a little bit of a change." — GM Terry Ryan
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Jason Marquis, Ryan Doumit, Josh Willingham and Jamey Carroll. Yea, you really went all out this year Terry. Good god. :lmao:
What is funnier is that Twins fans will believe this crap that Ryan says.

What would the lineup look like?

1. Dernard Span, CF

2. Jamey Carrol, SS

3. Joe Mauer, C

4. Justin Morneau, 1B

5. Josh WIllingham, LF

6. Ryan Doumit, DH

7. Danny Valencia, 3B

8. Luke Hughes, 2B (Chris Parmalee should have the full time job by all star break)

9. Ben Revere/Trevor Plouffe RF

8 and 9 is a black hole, but 1-7 is not horrible. Mauer, Morneau, and Willingham are a fine 3-5.

What would the lineup look like?1. Dernard Span, CF2. Jamey Carrol, SS3. Joe Mauer, C4. Justin Morneau, 1B5. Josh WIllingham, LF6. Ryan Doumit, DH7. Danny Valencia, 3B8. Luke Hughes, 2B (Chris Parmalee should have the full time job by all star break)9. Ben Revere/Trevor Plouffe RF8 and 9 is a black hole, but 1-7 is not horrible. Mauer, Morneau, and Willingham are a fine 3-5.
If Morneau can come back from his concussion problem.All he has to do is dive for a ball and he could get the symptoms again.

What would the lineup look like?1. Dernard Span, CF2. Jamey Carrol, SS3. Joe Mauer, C4. Justin Morneau, 1B5. Josh WIllingham, LF6. Ryan Doumit, DH7. Danny Valencia, 3B8. Luke Hughes, 2B (Chris Parmalee should have the full time job by all star break)9. Ben Revere/Trevor Plouffe RF8 and 9 is a black hole, but 1-7 is not horrible. Mauer, Morneau, and Willingham are a fine 3-5.
Denard Span is an awful #1 hitter. The guy showed promise his rookie year and his sophomore year, but he seems to have regressed each year since then. His last 2 years OBP, have been 331 and 328.Jamey Carroll is better suited as a #8 or #9 hitter in the AL. The fact that he and his career 704 OPS is being discussed as an appropriate #2 hitter shows how bad this team is.The 3-5, if healthy, is nice.But again, after that #5 hitter, it isn't pretty.Doumit is a nice backup catcher, occasional DH/1B guy. He is subpar as a fulltime DH.The 7,8,9, no matter who doesnt look promising.The Twins are never going to score tons of runs at Target Field. So having an average offense is OK, if your bullpen and starting rotation is one of the best in the league. Well, there offense is most likely below average, and neither their starting pitching or bullpen are anywhere near the tops in the league.They spent quite a bit of money on Doumit, Capps, Marquis and Willingham, Unimpressed. :shrug:

Denard Span is an awful #1 hitter. The guy showed promise his rookie year and his sophomore year, but he seems to have regressed each year since then. His last 2 years OBP, have been 331 and 328.Jamey Carroll is better suited as a #8 or #9 hitter in the AL. The fact that he and his career 704 OPS is being discussed as an appropriate #2 hitter shows how bad this team is.The 3-5, if healthy, is nice.But again, after that #5 hitter, it isn't pretty.Doumit is a nice backup catcher, occasional DH/1B guy. He is subpar as a fulltime DH.The 7,8,9, no matter who doesnt look promising.The Twins are never going to score tons of runs at Target Field. So having an average offense is OK, if your bullpen and starting rotation is one of the best in the league. Well, there offense is most likely below average, and neither their starting pitching or bullpen are anywhere near the tops in the league.They spent quite a bit of money on Doumit, Capps, Marquis and Willingham, Unimpressed. :shrug:
Unimpressed?Come on man! Look at the wonderful Terry Ryan quote a few posts above.

The Twins "fully expect (Sean) Burroughs and (J.R.) Towles to make a push for the 25-man roster," according to ESPN 1500.

Minnesota signed former top prospects Burroughs, Towles and Steve Pearce to minor league contracts last week. The trio likely was attracted to a Twins roster that was decimated with injuries last season and leaned heavily on their Triple-A affiliate for reinforcements. Twins assistant GM Rob Antony said he believes Towles could push Drew Butera for the third catcher job (behind Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit) and Burroughs might challenge Danny Valencia for the third base job. Towles (.286/.389/.443 career slash line at Triple-A) isn't much of a defensive catcher, but would be a gigantic offensive upgrade over Butera, who is the major league's worst hitter.

pulling for Burroughs to turn it around :thumbup:

Justin Morneau is still recovering from post-concussion syndrome, but improving, he told MLB Network in an interview that aired the other day.

"Most days, I wake up I feel pretty good," the Minnesota Twins first baseman said in the interview (mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20039401&topic_id=7417714). "Usually after I get done - I really exert myself, really working out hard - after a long day, your brain gets tired and everything gets so worn down. It's not functioning the way it's supposed to be, and you kind of get done with the day and you go, 'Something's not right.' And you end up going home and taking a nap for a couple hours or whatever it is, and you wake up and the headache's still there and you kind of grind through it.

"But it's been a lot better lately."

Morneau said he's been doing extensive balance exercises and drills that should help him track the baseball as a hitter and fielder.

"Making the eyes work, trying to reset the brain a little bit," he told MLB Network. "You get hit, and the brain gets knocked off a little bit, you feel like you're half a second off. It's not registering properly. When you're trying to hit, it almost makes it impossible to hit. You feel like the ball's behind you by the time you recognize the pitches."

The 2006 American League MVP suffered a concussion in July 2010 and then another on Aug. 28, 2011. He said he is

"way ahead" of where he was at this time last year.

"I hope to be ready to start spring training," he said.

Morneau, 30, has two seasons (2012 and 2013) guaranteed, at $14 million each, remaining on an $80 million, six-year contract.

Twins President Dave St. Peter, in describing new outfielder Josh Willingham, noted that of his 29 homers last year, more than half came in Oakland, one of the more cavernous ballparks in baseball. “We’re very confident that Target Field’s fences are not going to hold him back,” St. Peter said.

Willingham deal looking better all the time :thumbup:

Twins President Dave St. Peter, in describing new outfielder Josh Willingham, noted that of his 29 homers last year, more than half came in Oakland, one of the more cavernous ballparks in baseball. “We’re very confident that Target Field’s fences are not going to hold him back,” St. Peter said.Willingham deal looking better all the time :thumbup:
15 HRs in Oakland, 14 on the road, none at Target Field. :shrug:

Twins President Dave St. Peter, in describing new outfielder Josh Willingham, noted that of his 29 homers last year, more than half came in Oakland, one of the more cavernous ballparks in baseball. "We're very confident that Target Field's fences are not going to hold him back," St. Peter said.Willingham deal looking better all the time :thumbup:
Wrong. He hit 1 at Target Field. Not like you can base anything on 11 ABs anyway.

Twins President Dave St. Peter, in describing new outfielder Josh Willingham, noted that of his 29 homers last year, more than half came in Oakland, one of the more cavernous ballparks in baseball. “We’re very confident that Target Field’s fences are not going to hold him back,” St. Peter said.Willingham deal looking better all the time :thumbup:
Cuddyer was the only player who hit double-digit homers at Target Field last year. Danny Valencia hit nine of his 15 at home. Both are right-handed. Willingham has put up better power numbers than Cuddyer while playing in a relatively fair park in Washington and a pitcher’s park in Oakland. He has long arms that help him generate good bat speed and hit out in front of the ball. He’ll pull most of his homers at Target.

Cuddyer was the only player who hit double-digit homers at Target Field last year. Danny Valencia hit nine of his 15 at home. Both are right-handed. Willingham has put up better power numbers than Cuddyer while playing in a relatively fair park in Washington and a pitcher’s park in Oakland. He has long arms that help him generate good bat speed and hit out in front of the ball. He’ll pull most of his homers at Target.

And still put up a .240-.249 avg?Strikeout 150+ times? I guess that is better then a gbAWhat I really want to know is:As far as Strat talk goes, is he a + or - with the arm and is he a 1,2,3, or 4 for fielding rating?

Twins invite 25 non-roster players to spring training

By John Shipley

jshipley@pioneerpress.com

The Twins have invited 25 non-roster players to spring training, including left-hander Phil Dumatrait, who pitched out of the bullpen for the Twins last season, and infield prospect Brian Dozier.

Dumatrait is one of 10 pitchers and Dozier one of seven infielders invited to train on the major league side when camp opens Feb. 18 in Fort Myers, Fla. Among five catchers are Chris Hermann, the Twins' sixth-round draft pick in 2009, and Rene Rivera, who spent much of 2011 in Minnesota.

Former major league players Eddie Guardado, Jim Kaat, Tony Oliva, Terry Steinbach, Rod Carew and Paul Molitor will join the regular major and minor league coaching staffs.

Other players invited include one-time major league pitchers Aaron Thompson, Jason Bulger, Jared Burton, Sam Deduno, Luis Perdomo, Daryl Thompson and P.J. Walter, and Brendan Wise, who spent most of 2011 at the Tigers' Class AAA franchise in Toledo; catchers Danny Lehmann and J.R. Towles, who has major league experience with Houston (2007-11); former major league infielders Aaron Bates and Sean Burroughs; and outfielders Matt Carson, Brian Dinkelman and Wilkin Ramirez.

Pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report Feb. 18, with full-squad workouts set for Feb. 24.

—Minnesota has signed more free agents than most this offseason, but the Twins aren't done, GM Terry Ryan said.

"We're still looking," Ryan said. "We're looking to see if there's a player or pitcher who will make us better. There are still quite a few guys out there."

They could use another right-hander in the bullpen and maybe another starting pitcher, which could help the rotation and 'pen. Among notable starters still available are RHP Rich Harden and RHP Joel Pineiro, players in whom the Twins have previously shown interest.

SOURCE USA TODAY

—Minnesota has signed more free agents than most this offseason, but the Twins aren't done, GM Terry Ryan said."We're still looking," Ryan said. "We're looking to see if there's a player or pitcher who will make us better. There are still quite a few guys out there."They could use another right-hander in the bullpen and maybe another starting pitcher, which could help the rotation and 'pen. Among notable starters still available are RHP Rich Harden and RHP Joel Pineiro, players in whom the Twins have previously shown interest.SOURCE USA TODAY
So we should expect to see Rob Radlosky, Sean Bergman, or Mike Lincoln in training camp!

Minnesota Twins single-game tickets for Target Field this season will go on sale to the public at 9 a.m. Feb. 25, the team announced today.

Tickets will be available online at twinsbaseball.com, by phone at 612-33-TWINS (612-338-9467) or 800-338-9467, or in person at Target Field.

Starting Feb. 27, tickets also will be available at Twins Pro Shops.

Target Field is great place to watch baseball, need to get some tickets early this year :excited:

The Minnesota Twins have submitted a bid to host the 2014 All-Star Game at Target Field, but have not received an answer yet, Twins President Dave St. Peter wrote on Twitter.

USA Today's Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) had posted Thursday night on Twitter that there is "no suspense" concerning the next two All-Star Games - that Target Field would host in 2014 after the New York Mets' Citi Field hosts in 2013.

Neither site is official.

St. Peter (@TwinsPrez) later posted on Twitter: "Despite reports to contrary, the Twins have not been awarded '14 MLB ASG. We have submitted bid & are awaiting MLB response. Remain hopeful."

this would be sooooooooooo cool :thumbup:

Twins agree to terms with former Tigers reliever Zumaya

Joe Christensen under Twins pitching Updated: January 15, 2012 - 3:39 PM

Minneapolis Star and Tribune

The Twins have agreed to a deal with former Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya, pending a physical, a major league official confirmed today.

The agreement was first reported by MLB.com.

Zumaya, 27, is expected to take his physical sometime late this week, perhaps Thursday or Friday, and the Twins plan to be careful not to comment publicly until after everything checks out OK.

The physical will be key because Zumaya has had a history of arm issues. In 2010, he posted a 2.58 ERA in 31 appearances before breaking his right arm on a pitch at Target Field.

But the Twins had scouts on hand for his workout in Dallas recently when he was throwing 92-95 mph, easily, on every fastball.

One key note is that Zumaya has agreed to a non-guaranteed major league deal. This means he'll be given a spot on the 40-man roster, but the Twins would be able to cut him in spring training and not be on the hook for all of the guaranteed money if something doesn't look right.

The contract would pay Zumaya about $800,000, with up to about $900,000 in additional incentives, which are usually based on games pitched.

On the surface, this appears to be a nice low-risk, high-reward deal for the Twins. If Zumaya is throwing anywhere near as well as he was before the injury in 2010, the Twins are getting a steal.

Didn't he toss 100+ before the arm problems?

I believe Morneau broke a 20 year streak of the Twins having a 30+ HR player when he hit his 30th HR of a Zumaya fastball back in '06

The deal that landed reliever Joel Zumaya likely ends the Twins' offseason work, bringing the 2012 payroll to roughly $98.5 million, close to the $100 million budget general manager Terry Ryan is working with.

Still, Ryan wouldn't commit to being done.

"I don't think you're ever set," he said. "I don't think you ever want to say you're set and everything's perfect. No, we'll continue to keep looking around. I don't know if there's anyone out there who fits us but, nonetheless, I don't think you ever say, 'We're all set to go.' "

Zumaya's major league deal is worth $850,000, though if he can't finish spring training for some reason, the Twins are on the hook for only $400,000 of that. The contract is loaded with incentives and could bring the right-hander as much as $1.7 million if he appears in at least 60 games — money the Twins would gladly pay.

Zumaya gives the Twins another power arm, something they've lacked for the past several years. With LHP Glen Perkins, Zumaya will be half of a tandem that can throw consistently in the mid-90s.

"We were looking for a power right-hander who can pitch in the seventh and eighth innings," Ryan said. "We think (Zumaya) and Perkins will be pretty good. That's what we were looking for."

Perkins avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $1.55 million contract, more than doubling his 2011 salary of $700,000.

usa today

Heres to Zumaya having something left in the tank :banned:

Charley Walters: Jim Leyland's report on new Twins reliever Joel Zumaya: 'great arm, great guy'

Pioneer Press

The Twins took a calculated gamble when they signed relief pitcher Joel Zumaya to an $850,000, one-year contract plus incentives last week.

"If he comes back, boy, he's a real good sign for (the Twins)," Jim Leyland said.

Leyland, the esteemed Detroit Tigers manager, had Zumaya, 27, when the right-hander's fastball could hit 100 mph two seasons ago. He shattered his elbow during the 2010 season pitching at Target Field and since has had two surgeries.

"Joel is one of our favorites, one of our sons," Leyland said. "We brought him up as a kid. He's got a great arm, and he's a great guy. It's just unfortunate that he's been injured.

"Things didn't work out. We were hoping to get him back, but the fact that he got a major league contract was huge."

The Tigers would have allowed Zumaya to try out in spring training but didn't offer a major league deal.

"He's a tremendous guy. You'll love him," Leyland said.

Good feeback from Leyland about the big z :thumbup:

Twins to retire Tom Kelly's No. 10

Pioneer Press

Twins retire Kelly's No. 10

Tom Kelly, the manager who led the Twins to their two World Series championships, had his No. 10 retired by the club Thursday.

The number will be officially retired Sept. 8 in a ceremony at Target Field.

Kelly, 61, has been a member of Minnesota's organization for most of the past 40 years, signing as a minor league free agent in 1971 and making his major league debut with the Twins in 1975. He is currently a special assistant to general manager Terry Ryan and the organization's guru on infield defense.

"Few, if any, individuals have had as much direct impact on the success of the Twins franchise as Tom Kelly," Twins CEO Jim Pohlad said in a statement.

Though Kelly managed the Twins for lean years at the beginning and end of his career, he led the franchise to World Series victories in 1987 and 1991 and helped develop homegrown players such as Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek. His 1,140 career victories are the most in Twins history, and he was named American League manager of the year in 1991.

Kelly, or "TK" as he is known to players, coaches and fans, is the first Minnesota manager to have his jersey retired and joins Puckett (34), Hrbek (14), Harmon Killebrew (3), Tony Oliva (6), Rod Carew (29) and Bert Blyleven (28) as former Twins receiving the honor.

- John Shipley

Zoom-Zoom is a really nice guy. An easy to root for guy. I just don't think his shoulder/elbow/entire arm can handle the torque he puts on it. He's a hurler, not a pitcher. His 100 mph is much more violent than Verlander's 100 mph. I wish him all the best but don't see a good ending for him.

Don't let him near an xbox and don't let him "help his mom move" ever either. Bad things happen.

Users who are viewing this thread