What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2012 MINNESOTA VIKINGS SEASON THREAD (1 Viewer)

If you really want a :kicksrock: moment .. go compare Ponders stats so far compared to T. Jack at the same point in their careers. :mellow:
I'm sure they are pretty similar but I don't necessarily focus on stats in evaluating Ponder. I'd say he shares some much more important similarities with TJack, such as happy feet, no pocket presence, doesn't go through route progressions (tunnel vision), no pump fakes or looking off safeties to compel them out of position (Cam Newton just did an amazing look-off on MNF to open his seam route). Basically, all of those intangibles that separate franchise NFL QBs from the rest.

Musgrave is a disaster (always has been) and should be fired immediately.Draft Manti Te'o! :yes:
Te'o is the guy that I want...if he isn't there, I think they have to go WR. Outside of Harvin they have NOTHING in terms of playmakers. Wright has shown the ability to get open but Ponder has to make the perfect pass every time in order to complete it because the WRs are not getting open.

If they somehow end up with Andy Reid as the coach I will be completely done with the team.
Oh my god that is a horrible thought. Could you imagine Reid and Mornhingweg here? I would go completely nuts watching him ignore Adrian inside the 10 yard line like he does to McCoy. Maybe they could bring Chilly with them and form the Triangle of Futility coaching staff. I would seriously rather have Mike Tice back then to have Reid.

Musgrave is a disaster (always has been) and should be fired immediately.Draft Manti Te'o! :yes:
Te'o is the guy that I want...if he isn't there, I think they have to go WR. Outside of Harvin they have NOTHING in terms of playmakers. Wright has shown the ability to get open but Ponder has to make the perfect pass every time in order to complete it because the WRs are not getting open.
I agree on Te'o! If I had wish list I would like to free up whatever money we can by cutting some dead weight (Carlson, Jenkins, etc) and get a legitimate longball threat like Mike Wallace to pair with Harvin. Wright, Childs, and Burton fill out the rest of the WR core. Then in the draft I would like Te'o in the 1st, the top safety still on the board to pair with Smith like Elam/Reid/Vaccaro/Jefferson in the 2nd, a DT like Sylvester Williams/Jesse Williams/Shariff Floyd in the 3rd, and then with our 2 4th round picks go offensive line with both picks preferably 1 LG and 1 RT.

'The Gatekeeper said:
'Andy Dufresne said:
If they somehow end up with Andy Reid as the coach I will be completely done with the team.
Oh my god that is a horrible thought. Could you imagine Reid and Mornhingweg here? I would go completely nuts watching him ignore Adrian inside the 10 yard line like he does to McCoy. Maybe they could bring Chilly with them and form the Triangle of Futility coaching staff. I would seriously rather have Mike Tice back then to have Reid.
Sure, Tice was a goober.. But when you look at what he had to work with as far as ownership went and the amount of cost cutting Red did, it is amazing he did as well as he did. :2cents: + :drive: seems appropriate when talking about Red, No? ;)

Tice sucks guys remember the Randy ratio? Not saying that Red McCombs did him any favors but Tice sucked plenty on his own.

I actually thought Ponder played alright in most recent game vs. the Bears. No one was really getting open and both Simpson and Jennings dropped very catchable passes. I even noticed that Ponder threw some slants with some good zip on them, something I have not seen much of from him until recently. I think he has the tools to become a decent QB and I am not ready to give up on his development yet, despite some very convincing things you all have said that I am in agreement with. I am not going to make excuses for him, I will just say this. Rich Gannon became a good QB eventually but we gave up on him too quickly. Ponder has only really had one season (this one) to develop. Yes I wish he was further along in that by now but I am withholding judgement of what he is capable of until next season.

As far as targets to help Ponder I do not see a rookie or free agent being able to make an instant impact next season. It takes time for them to develop and become used to a new system. I think our best hope on that front is for Wright to develop as a compliment to Harvin.

I am worried about Harvin not being willing to re-sign with the team. Like Randy Moss he may not believe that the Vikings are the place for him to be. I think it was very clear he was frustrated in the last game he played as Ponder threw that WR screen pass which sailed on him. If Harvin does not sign a new contract during the offseason I will take Harvin's opinion of what Ponder is capable of over my own eyes and what anyone else thinks about it. Of course the Vikings can francise tag Harvin if he does not re-sign, but then we will have another disgruntled player on our hands who may not play to their best ability.

Jared Allen is not getting it done. I realize that Cutler got rid of the ball quickly, but Allen should have gotten to him at least once. He made some good plays in the running game and almost got a pick 6 on that screen he sniffed out, but I still expected more from him as a pass rusher against the Bears Oline.

Chad Greenway has been playing very well this season but he clearly needs some help. Erin Henderson continues to be a liability and Brinkley is just a guy. As well as Winfield has played this season if the Vikings had one more good LB our nickle package would be pretty good. But we don't and opposing teams know it and take advantage of 50 and 54 often. The Vikings need to add another LB to help Greenway, and Greenway is not getting any younger himself.

I am glad to hear that upcoming draft is strong in defensive players. The Vikings need defensive tackles, linebackers and a safety + cornerback. I will say that I think Jefferson has played decently for us at corner and I am glad we got him. The league has become so pass oriented however that I think teams need 4 good corner backs and Winfield is old, not sure how much longer he can play at this level. Not saying Winfield has lost a step or anything, this has been one of his best seasons playing for the Vikings, just that the writing is on the wall and he will not likely be able to maintain this level of play much longer.

For Musgrave, I actually like some of his play designs. However on a personal level he seems to tenative and I think this attitude may carry over into Ponders play. I would like to see an offensive coach be more decisive and sure of themselves than what Musgrave presents to me. Frazier is for the most part a PR guy. I think he does fine as the HC and I would not expect a replacement to be much different. I never hear anything from Singletary anymore and I wonder what happened? Is he not still part of the staff? :confused: I recall reading a lot more articles involving him last season compared to now. Perhaps the subpar LB play has something to do with that.

The Vikings do have a lot of room under the cap for next offseason as many of our 1 year deals with players will expire. Lat I looked it was estimated to be about $17 million under the minimum salaries required by the CBA. So actually quite a bit more than that available for signing free agents, perhaps $30-40 million. I would be interested to hear what players may be available as free agents that would be good fits for the Vikings. I regret advocating for Jerome Simpson, he clearly is not the answer although I think he could be if he wanted to. The guy does not seem to be motivated to be good at WR in the NFL and will likely be out of the league in a couple years based on what I have seen so far.

The main free agent for the Vikings that I think we should re-sign is Kevin Williams. He is still a very good player although not quite what he was in his prime he still makes a lot of plays and we should try to keep him. Other than Williams I think we can let the rest go. Sanford may be up and I would like to keep him for special teams but I do not think he earned a starting spot at safety, I cannot think of anyone else that is a must retain. Possibly Fleton or Ellison as one of them may be on a 1 year deal.

Speaking of TE/FB/HB players, replacing Kleinsasser has taken us 3 players to do so, John Carlson for veteran leadership, Felton for FB lead blocking and Ellison for special teams HB duty. I just recall having a disagreement with Bloom over the value of Sauce when he was drafted. I think having one player who can do the job of 3 is worth more than a 5-6th round pick. Although I agree other positions are more important than a blocking FB/TE (Kleinsasser was drafted 2md round), having one player who can fill all 3 roles is a better use of roster space. I think Felton is a keeper but Carlson is not. I haven't seen enough of Ellison to really judge.

Posted this in the game thread: Ponder.. Week 7 = 57 yards.. Week 9 = 63 yards.. This week = 92 Yards( chance for garbage time yardage to get him over 100 yards now).. That my friends is NFL starter QB stats .. :mellow: Need to make a move in the off season to get Alex Smith.. he is only 28 so has a good 5 years in him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this in the game thread: Ponder.. Week 7 = 57 yards.. Week 9 = 63 yards.. This week = 92 Yards( chance for garbage time yardage to get him over 100 yards now).. That my friends is NFL starter QB stats .. :mellow: Need to make a move int eh off season to get Alex Smith.. he is only 28 so has a good 5 years in him.
I would agree with that. Smith isn't a barn burner, but you don't really need one with Peterson. I do think some of the lack of yardage is on the WRs as well though. Simpson and Jenkins couldn't get open if the other team just let them run loose. But when you see plays like the underthrown ball to a wide open Peterson, it makes it really hard to excuse Ponder's performance. The way I see it, the blame goes something like: 55% QB, 25% WR, 20% Playcalling/Coaching/OC

Need to make a move in the off season to get Alex Smith.. he is only 28 so has a good 5 years in him.
How depressing that standards are so low that fans would long for a guy like Alex Smith. Oh joy, I can hardly wait to pursue the mediocrity discarded by another NFL team that watched him tread water for 7 years. What horror.

Need to make a move in the off season to get Alex Smith.. he is only 28 so has a good 5 years in him.
How depressing that standards are so low that fans would long for a guy like Alex Smith. Oh joy, I can hardly wait to pursue the mediocrity discarded by another NFL team that watched him tread water for 7 years. What horror.
Well...what would be the better solution? Doesn't appear that Ponder is really the answer, Webb is a great athlete, but hasn't shown the ability to win as a QB when he had the chance to start. Can't really draft another QB and wait he is ready - Peterson would be done before that, most likely. Need a good FA WR and a decent QB to come in, shore up the defense a little better and they'd be winning some of these "close" games.

Well...what would be the better solution?
I'm sure most will disagree, but Mike Vick or Carson Palmer would be more prototypical difference-making QBs for my money, and I believe we could obtain either. It comes down to whether you want a guy a defense must account for, or a game manager who will get you 200 yards on a good day. I'd risk the downsides of Vick/Palmer if my alternative is the upside of Alex Smith.

Vikings are not making a QB change. I support this decision since last time Webb started he won and we missed out on the #2 overall draft pick.

Two years ago I'd have said :goodposting: The last two years Smith has proven he has the ability to be a starting QB.. Is he Manning, Brady, Rodgers?? No.. But I'd rank him in the top 15 for QB and really, with AP that is all you need. At this point Ponder isn't even top 30..

Vikings are not making a QB change. I support this decision since last time Webb started he won and we missed out on the #2 overall draft pick.
Beating a dead horse here, but fine by me too. Ponder has already hit rock bottom IMHO, but Vikes need to let him scuttle on the sea floor like a blind crab for the rest of 2012 if that is what it takes to disabuse Speilman of any notion Ponder is QB of the future. I realize we are mathematically in a playoff race, but let's be honest for the sake of 2013 and not wasting Peterson's career completely. This team has nothing significant to play for other than a decisive QB conclusion.

Two years ago I'd have said :goodposting: The last two years Smith has proven he has the ability to be a starting QB.. Is he Manning, Brady, Rodgers?? No.. But I'd rank him in the top 15 for QB and really, with AP that is all you need. At this point Ponder isn't even top 30..
Agree to disagree. Appears SF is willing to wash their hands of him for the upside of their own possible QB of the future. I think that speaks volumes, particularly since they are contending in 2012 with their own good running game and great defense. He's played there for 7 years, I trust their conclusion. In fact, I respect the heck out of Harbaugh for deciding QB mediocrity isn't going to cut it for a contender.

In the past two games, when they have been behind they abandon the run. I understand the thought process, but when the other team is in prevent mode, wouldn't it be better to give the ball to AD on a draw than throw a 3 yard dump off pass to a TE?? Give the ball to your best player - he has more 20+ yard runs than they have long pass plays anyway.

This passing game is a dumpster fire. A year after watching this team field a hopelessly inept passing defense, I'm stuck watching them do the same thing with their passing offense. Ponder's confidence seems nonexistent, and deservedly so. On the RARE occasions one of these wrs gains a half step of separation and Ponder actually manages to deliver an accurate throw, odds are it will be dropped. Or deflected into an opponenent's eager hands.

Some changes need to be made. I don't think Ponder is going to be one of them, so I fervently hope that Spielman can A) get some more WR help in here. Like a lot more. Like 3-4 rookies and another couple FAs. This entire corps other than Harvin is a gaping black suckhole. B) ####can Musgrave and bring in Norv Turner!!!

This passing game is a dumpster fire. A year after watching this team field a hopelessly inept passing defense, I'm stuck watching them do the same thing with their passing offense. Ponder's confidence seems nonexistent, and deservedly so. On the RARE occasions one of these wrs gains a half step of separation and Ponder actually manages to deliver an accurate throw, odds are it will be dropped. Or deflected into an opponenent's eager hands.

Some changes need to be made. I don't think Ponder is going to be one of them, so I fervently hope that Spielman can A) get some more WR help in here. Like a lot more. Like 3-4 rookies and another couple FAs. This entire corps other than Harvin is a gaping black suckhole. B) ####can Musgrave and bring in Norv Turner!!!
Really :confused: did you see the play when AP had a good 5 yard separation and Ponder under threw him??

Or his 2nd INT, when two players had separation and he threw late and behind Rudolph?

I was a Ponder supporter at the beginning of the year.. I gave him a pass for a couple :X games at the start of the season..

At some point people have to stop blaming his ineptness on the WR's..

He just does not have "it" and the sooner the team realizes that the sooner we can move forward.

Agree to disagree. Appears SF is willing to wash their hands of him for the upside of their own possible QB of the future. I think that speaks volumes, particularly since they are contending in 2012 with their own good running game and great defense. He's played there for 7 years, I trust their conclusion. In fact, I respect the heck out of Harbaugh for deciding QB mediocrity isn't going to cut it for a contender.
:hifive: Here is my thinking..

Next year Ponder or Smith?? Smith in a heartbeat.

Ponder or Palmer.. Palmer in a heartbeat

Ponder or Vick.. Vick in a heartbeat.

See where I'm going here?? ;)

Now if you said Smith vs. Vick hmmm :unsure:

Smith(28 ) last year threw for 3400+ Yards, 17 TD's, 5 int's with a passer rating of 90.7 and took his team to OT in the NFC Championship game.

This year, in 9 games 1,731 yards, 13 TD's, 5 int's

Vick ( 32 ) through 9 games this year 2,165 yards, 11 TD's, 9 int's.

Last year 3,300+ yards, 18 TD's, 14 int's

Vick, IMO is regressing, so I'd probably go with Smith as he has improved the last few years and is only 28.

Palmer.. through 12 games 3,532 yards, 20 TD's, 13 int's.

Palmer's doing pretty good on a crappy team so could deal with him, but not sure if Oakland will let him go as they have nothing else right now.

To add injury to insult.. from the Milwaukee Journal :

The Minnesota Vikings had a Super Bowl berth at their fingertips three years ago until Brett Favre threw back into the middle of the field for a last-minute interception against the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Championship Game.

On Sunday, they were well on their way to dealing what would have been a costly defeat to the archrival Green Bay Packers when Favre's successor, Christian Ponder, did the exact same thing.

Morgan Burnett's end-zone interception of Ponder's foolish pass loomed large as large could be Sunday after the Packers pounded out a gratifying 23-14 victory at Lambeau Field.
:topcat: Hopefully Frasier and Musgrave read this comment from the opposing player:

Peterson surged ahead for 4 on first down, leaving the Vikings 6 yards from a first down and 8 yards from a 21-10 lead. At that point, he had carried 15 times for 178 yards, or 11.9 yards a pop.

"They should run him until he can't even breathe," defensive end Ryan Pickett said. "I don't understand why they wouldn't. I ain't seen nobody stop him. No one.

"If I had him, I probably would be tempted to not even pass."
Not that it would matter because "they have a plan" :lol:

I'm not sure I can row in this boat any longer.

I had a good idea of what would happen yesterday. It's why I took my kid to Wreck It Ralph instead. It was a better way to spend a Sunday.

:sadbanana:

I'm not sure I can row in this boat any longer.

I had a good idea of what would happen yesterday. It's why I took my kid to Wreck It Ralph instead. It was a better way to spend a Sunday.

:sadbanana:
Same here.. Sat down and watched expecting to lose.. Then we watch Ap go off and they have a lead.. Only to have Ponder once again hand the game over.. Went from :shrug: to :excited: to :angry: to :kicksrock: all in a matter of 3 hours. :(

Really :confused: did you see the play when AP had a good 5 yard separation and Ponder under threw him??

Or his 2nd INT, when two players had separation and he threw late and behind Rudolph?

I was a Ponder supporter at the beginning of the year.. I gave him a pass for a couple :X games at the start of the season..

He just does not have "it" and the sooner the team realizes that the sooner we can move forward.
I should have worded that better. Read this as "On the RARE occasions one of these wrs gains a half step of separation AND Ponder actually manages to deliver an even rarer accurate downfield throw." Not trying to absolve Ponder from blame, just saying he's not getting much help from the rest of the passing game. That said, great QBs generally find ways to elevate a moribund wr corps and Ponder has certainly not done that. Did the announcers actually say during that game that this was only the 3rd time in 60 games that a rusher went over 200 and his team lost? I'll give the Vikes this: they somehow continually find shocking new ways in which to lose, which you would think would be impossible by now.

I should have worded that better. Read this as "On the RARE occasions one of these wrs gains a half step of separation AND Ponder actually manages to deliver an even rarer accurate downfield throw." Not trying to absolve Ponder from blame, just saying he's not getting much help from the rest of the passing game. That said, great QBs generally find ways to elevate a moribund wr corps and Ponder has certainly not done that. Did the announcers actually say during that game that this was only the 3rd time in 60 games that a rusher went over 200 and his team lost? I'll give the Vikes this: they somehow continually find shocking new ways in which to lose, which you would think would be impossible by now.
Regardless of everything else he did in the game, the two red zone pick throws/decisions were ####### horrible! Get two FGs in both of those situations and it's a different ball game.

If Ponder throws those picks with Clay Matthews in his face, it's good defense. I don't recall if there was pressure on the 2nd pick, but the one in the end zone was just a bad decision. Compare Ponder's scramble and toss there to Luck's last pass at the end of regulation and tell me when the light's going to come on. Sure, the WRs are less than ideal, but for all the smarts Ponder is supposed to have, protecting the FG possibility is a must.

Somebody has to be the scapegoat when (notice I didn't say IF) they miss the wild card. Ponder's having Sanchez moments out there.

'The Kuhn said:
If Ponder throws those picks with Clay Matthews in his face, it's good defense. I don't recall if there was pressure on the 2nd pick, but the one in the end zone was just a bad decision. Compare Ponder's scramble and toss there to Luck's last pass at the end of regulation and tell me when the light's going to come on. Sure, the WRs are less than ideal, but for all the smarts Ponder is supposed to have, protecting the FG possibility is a must.

Somebody has to be the scapegoat when (notice I didn't say IF) they miss the wild card. Ponder's having Sanchez moments out there.
I feel like going into a Jim Mora type rant. Playoffs? LOL

'The Kuhn said:
If Ponder throws those picks with Clay Matthews in his face, it's good defense. I don't recall if there was pressure on the 2nd pick, but the one in the end zone was just a bad decision. Compare Ponder's scramble and toss there to Luck's last pass at the end of regulation and tell me when the light's going to come on. Sure, the WRs are less than ideal, but for all the smarts Ponder is supposed to have, protecting the FG possibility is a must.Somebody has to be the scapegoat when (notice I didn't say IF) they miss the wild card. Ponder's having Sanchez moments out there.
Ponder vs Luck, huge deficiencies in reading defenses and in play calling. Sanchez is in his 4th year to be fair.

And yet another under 100 yard game for Ponder.. There is absolutely no reason to be a sub-par QB when defense's are putting 9 in the box to stop AP ( and still failing to stop him :thumbup: )

This week 91 yards, no TD's 1 Int.. :X

Let's set the LOW bar at 150..

Detroit - 111 yards

Arizona -58 yards

Seattle - 63 yards

Green Bay - 119 yards

Bears - 91 yards

& the other Bear game where he barely got over 150 yards (159 )

I don't see how you can look at his play this year and see any improvement or hope for the future.

He has no "OOMPH" behind his throws as he continues to under throw receivers and throws behind them on crossing routes and His INT yesterday was an absolute joke.

7-5 with that..... :eek:

Can you imagine where this team would be with say, Alex Smith, at QB? :o

And yet another under 100 yard game for Ponder.. There is absolutely no reason to be a sub-par QB when defense's are putting 9 in the box to stop AP ( and still failing to stop him :thumbup: )This week 91 yards, no TD's 1 Int.. :XLet's set the LOW bar at 150..Detroit - 111 yardsArizona -58 yardsSeattle - 63 yardsGreen Bay - 119 yardsBears - 91 yards& the other Bear game where he barely got over 150 yards (159 )I don't see how you can look at his play this year and see any improvement or hope for the future. He has no "OOMPH" behind his throws as he continues to under throw receivers and throws behind them on crossing routes and His INT yesterday was an absolute joke. 7-5 with that..... :eek: Can you imagine where this team would be with say, Alex Smith, at QB? :o
I was at the game (drove up from Chucago with some Bears fans on Saturday, drove back in the blizzard last night). My buddies asked me what u thought about Ponder. I said 'Id rather have Alex Smith for the next 2 years.' Or Jason Campbell. Oof.

And yet another under 100 yard game for Ponder.. There is absolutely no reason to be a sub-par QB when defense's are putting 9 in the box to stop AP ( and still failing to stop him :thumbup: )This week 91 yards, no TD's 1 Int.. :XLet's set the LOW bar at 150..Detroit - 111 yardsArizona -58 yardsSeattle - 63 yardsGreen Bay - 119 yardsBears - 91 yards& the other Bear game where he barely got over 150 yards (159 )I don't see how you can look at his play this year and see any improvement or hope for the future. He has no "OOMPH" behind his throws as he continues to under throw receivers and throws behind them on crossing routes and His INT yesterday was an absolute joke. 7-5 with that..... :eek: Can you imagine where this team would be with say, Alex Smith, at QB? :o
Yeah I have to agree it is getting pretty ridiculous. Some upgrade needs to be made by trade or by free agency. Ponder still might have a future but it will be 3 or so years down the road. Might be a Rich Gannon type where the light will really come on at 28 or 29 years of age. I know it is early and I might still be dreaming but after the Chargers fire sale bring in Norv as OC (horrible head coach but very good OC) and then inquire about Philip Rivers in a trade. Bring in Rivers and let Ponder absorb for a couple years, in free agency get a deep threat like Mike Wallace for Rivers, and then in the draft shore up the MLB/DT/OG/WR positions.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/vikings-coach-maintains-confidence-in-christian-po,30645/

"Vikings coach maintains confidence in Christian Ponder's ability to hand ball to Adrian Peterson"
:thumbup: The coaches seem to get it to some degree now, in that they are only trying to pass mainly on 3rd downs. I still argue that this team needs to miss the playoffs for changes to happen, so yesterday's win was bittersweet.

I don't think bringing Rivers in will fix anything either. He's a shadow of his former self, and the goal is to minimize turnovers, which Rivers has had a problem with for the last few seasons. If he's been turning the ball over with the motley crew of WRs he has in SD, he's not going to do any better with this group.

I still like Alex Smith, but what about Flacco? The Ravens still might franchise him, but I think a lot of his problems on the road this year are due to them asking him to do too much. If the Ravens used Rice like the Vikings use Peterson, he'd probably be a very efficient QB.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/vikings-coach-maintains-confidence-in-christian-po,30645/

"Vikings coach maintains confidence in Christian Ponder's ability to hand ball to Adrian Peterson"
:thumbup: The coaches seem to get it to some degree now, in that they are only trying to pass mainly on 3rd downs. I still argue that this team needs to miss the playoffs for changes to happen, so yesterday's win was bittersweet.I don't think bringing Rivers in will fix anything either. He's a shadow of his former self, and the goal is to minimize turnovers, which Rivers has had a problem with for the last few seasons. If he's been turning the ball over with the motley crew of WRs he has in SD, he's not going to do any better with this group.I still like Alex Smith, but what about Flacco? The Ravens still might franchise him, but I think a lot of his problems on the road this year are due to them asking him to do too much. If the Ravens used Rice like the Vikings use Peterson, he'd probably be a very efficient QB.
I think Philip Rivers looks like a shadow is because the cheap Chargers have gutted his offensive weapons completely. Tomlinson, VJax, Sproles, and Tolbert all told to hit the road by AJ Smith, Antonio Gates has got old and cant get open anymore, Floyd/Alexander/Meachem are all really average WR's even though Alexander has shown promise, Vincent Brown got hurt, and besides Craig Davis (total bust) the Chargers have not drafted a WR in the first 3 rounds of the draft in 6 or so years so they have completely ignored the position. Rivers with Peterson, Rudolph, Harvin, and a free agent like Mike Wallace and Rivers is a whole new animal.

Matt Moore is a free agent at the end of the year. Rivers and Smith might be better options but at least Moore is actually a free agent. He is still younger than Weeden.

Whoever comes in can't be a project- Ponder has already been the project. This team needs to contend with Peterson and Allen, and the division isn't getting any easier.

Whoever comes in can't be a project- Ponder has already been the project. This team needs to contend with Peterson and Allen, and the division isn't getting any easier.
I agree. With an upgrade at QB however acquired, another strong draft class, and a few strategic free agent signings like a deep threat WR to pair with Harvin and a stud OG I think the Vikings can have a 2-3 year window to be really good and try and win a championship.

I agree. With an upgrade at QB however acquired, another strong draft class, and a few strategic free agent signings like a deep threat WR to pair with Harvin and a stud OG I think the Vikings can have a 2-3 year window to be really good and try and win a championship.
There aren't a lot of quarterbacks just laying around. And this year's draft class doesn't feature any guys that aren't projects.Good luck.

I'm 44, like many of you have been watching the NFL with interest since I was a kid. Ponder might be the worst QB I've ever seen who actually is allowed to still play. I'm sure there have been worse 1-2 game performances by guys whos names were immediately forgotten. This is well beyond awful now.

I'm 44, like many of you have been watching the NFL with interest since I was a kid. Ponder might be the worst QB I've ever seen who actually is allowed to still play. I'm sure there have been worse 1-2 game performances by guys whos names were immediately forgotten. This is well beyond awful now.
I might put him over anybody on KC or ARI's rosters- but it's close.

Babe Laufenberg > Christian Ponder

Danario Alexander is a RFA after this year- if MIN is going to go after the leftovers of the great SD purge, I'd rather have him than Rivers.

At half time yesterday a reporter asks Frazier what the plan for the 2nd half would be. He said the plan was to run the ball and then run it some more, and they actually did that. I was surprised to hear that AD's 31 carries is the most he has ever had in one game for his career. The Vikings need to do more of that and let Toby run the ball a bit too.

Ponder stinks but the guys some of you are throwing him under the bus for like Alex Smith will not be much better. My only hope is that next season the light comes on for Ponder and he plays well enough to make us all forget how bad he has been so far. I am not very optimistic that Ponder will turn the corner and actualize what he keeps saying he needs to do every week, but that is all I got.

I would rather start Joe Webb than Alex Smith or the other players you guys are suggesting the Vikings bring in.

Sorry but I couldnt disagree more. Alex Smith threw for 3100 and 17 tds last year with a 91 passer rating. Compared to Ponder thats like Dan Marino. Smith is not great, he's no solution but he's better than wasting another year. They f'd up royally on Ponder. And Joe Webb is not a starting QB. He's a situational gimmick.

Ponder reminds me right now of Joey "happy-feet" Harrington (Lions). He is playing with little confidence, having a hard time making it past his first or second read and is playing with really bad mechanics. From what I know, the mechanics can be solved in the offseason, but the confidence and his ability to make it through his reads during a play are only going to be learned on the field playing. I do think that a large part of the problem is lack of quality targets as well, particularly now that Harvin is out. None of the WRs are really giving him open (or even close to open) targets.

I like the idea of bringing in Wallace, we were just talking about that at work today. Get Harvin back, assuming he is just hurt and there is nothing else going on. I don't think Vikes bring in a QB, even though I really want them to. So we better hope Ponder improves his game in the off-season, because he will likely be starting next year. So we need to put even more skill around him to help him out.

Users who are viewing this thread