What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 New York Giants Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Win a scarf like they'll give away at the Sept 5th game

"The New York Giants and Forever Collectibles have teamed up and are giving away 80,000+ “Super Bowl XLVI Ch4mpions” scarves to everyone at MetLife Stadium for the season opener against the Cowboys. If you are not one of these 80,000 people or you want to get your hands on one of these scarves before opening night, this is your shot!

Here is how you can win the New York Giants 4x Super Bowl Champion Scarf Courtesy of Foever Collectibles: (Must do all 4 things below to qualify & you must live in US to be eligible to win)

1. Follow InReeseWeTrust on Twitter: www.Twitter.com/InReeseWeTrust

2. “Like” the In Reese We Trust Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Reese-We-Trust/204765974855

3. “Like” the Forever Collectibles Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/ForeverCollectibles

4. Register with www.BigBlueUnited.com (Please include First and Last Name when you register)

The winner will be selected during the week of 8/27-9/2."

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN E:60 tonight 7PM

There will be a segment on Eli and his charitable efforts.

Beat writer Mike Garafolo will be leaving the Star Ledger for USA Today. Don't know if he'll still be on the Giants beat.

From Coughlin's presser:

Q: With the injuries in the secondary, would you consider bringing in somebody from the outside?Coughlin: We’ll consider anything. How are you with backpedaling? Pretty good?
Not usually a funny man...

Huge win great to see the Giants dominate so well.

'Skins are next, just hope the Giants don't come out flat and lose like they did after big games last year.

So happy for Antrelle today, he is the most under appreciated player on the Gmen. Hope he makes the pro Bowl as a Giant

'Yenrub said:
'Uncle Leo said:
We lost to Rex freaking Grossman last year. Not once but twice.
:goodposting: RG3 is worlds better than Sexy RexyAny word on if Canty is going to come off PUP this week?
He said last week he'd be ready to go. Don't know if that is playing shape ready to go. I want him back but hope he doesn't pull a hammy, groin or some other nagging injury by not being in game shape.

Nice post from BBI:

Anatomy of a running play....

Joey in VA : 10/15/2012 8:36 pm

So I had to re-watch some of the Giants 49ers game because I suppose I'm deranged (but I guess I'll just have to call) but I had to see why we ran the ball so effectively against the best front 7 in football. I won't bore you guys with play by play non sense, but Gilbride's comment about Justin Smith holding his man proved to be something we used to have some success, and it cannot be overstated how well Henry Hynoski did leading the way all afternoon. The play that may have put the nail in the coffin, to me anyway, was with 13:47 left in the 4th quarter, Giants up 20 with a 2nd and 8 at their own 19.5 yard line. Many will argue Wilson's return was the game and that has its merits but the back breaking run was to me, this play.

The Giants lined in a standard Pro-Set with the TE on the left side and the 49ers, as is their way countered with a base 3-4 cover 2 shell, almost not expecting the run and again challenging the Giants to put it on the ground. That is the arrogance of this defense and its DC, that down 20 deep inside the Giants own side of the field, they choose to play man on man football and let their players win the battles. Guess what kids? These aren't the 1978 Steelers, so their hubris is their biggest mistake.

On the snap, the Giants start to slide right, a typical Gilbride running play that hopes to move the front 7 and hit them backside with a counter gap run. Martellus Bennett easily turns his man, OLB Aldon Smith outside. LG Kevin Boothe immediately fires out on Navarrro Bowman and swallows him for lunch, FB Henry Hynoski absolutely hammers Patrick Wilson in the left side B gap who had taken a step to his left to pursue what appeared to be the play side movement of LG Chris Snee and RT Sean Locklear. What gave Willis the key was C David Baas hook blocking the LDE which gave the appearance of a run to the right side up the A gap. Willis guessed wrong and got crunched by Hynoski.

What made the play go though, was LT Will Beatty letting RDE Justin Smith get upfield on his inside shoulder, which made Smith hold Beatty (his usual tactic for allowing his LBs to flow to the play and the item that Gilbride said he got away with murder on) and start to stack him up inside to get to the play on the ride side of the A gap. Beatty essentially allowed Smith to grab hold and ride him too far upfield to make a difference and Bradshaw squirted by for a 27 yard gain between now huge hole Smith and the NT. At one point, Beatty drops his right hand to maintain his balance as Smith desperately tried to grab on to get himself in position to make a play...only to ultimately fail miserably. Beatty essentially let Smith hold him and as he tried to break free, Bradshaw was already in the hole and upfield before Smith knew what was going on.

If you have the game tivo'd or get so see it on replay, watch this sequence, it's just pure run blocking goodness designed by Gilbride and Flaherty and carried out masterfully by Bennett, Beatty, Hynoski, Baas, Snee, Locklear and Boothe. A 27 yard run might not be a world beater, but on this play the Giants just completely out schemed a physical front 7 and left them wondering what if for the rest of the day.

Football Outsiders have Giants the #1 team after first 6 weeks.

Link

PFF has Prince as the #4 CB in the league

My link

Jason Pierre-Paul sends warning to Robert Griffin III

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The New York Giants have watched the tape on Robert Griffin III.

The Washington Redskins rookie has been nothing short of sensational through six games, willing his team to victory and bringing never-before-seen heroics to the quarterback position. With Griffin set to face New York for the first time on Sunday, Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul was kind enough to offer a little advice.

"Don't bring it to my side," Pierre-Paul said, via the New York Daily News. "Go the other way."

The Redskins have benefitted from Griffin's elusiveness and speed on the ground, but the Giants' defensive line -- when not in one of its occasional funks -- is unlike anything the quarterback has faced this season.

"Trust me, we chase quarterbacks all the time," Pierre-Paul said. "We turn and run to the ball, no matter what. He may get past us and zoom right past us, but trust me we're right behind him. You've got to respect that, too. It's not all about the speed. We've got guys, all 11 guys that can run to the ball very quick. You'd be surprised. Very surprised."

Washington of late has de-emphasized its option package and mostly leaned on its base offense. After game-planning for RG3 to carry the ball earlier this season, coach Mike Shanahan has dialed down the called runs. Griffin suffered a concussion two weeks ago on a scramble, but only because he made a bad read and decided to take off.

RG3's yardage is more likely to come off a big burst on a handful of plays instead of a 10-plus carry afternoon -- but preparing for the worst makes sense.

Giants will likely need to win 3 of their 4 remaining division games to win the NFC East. I just hope they don't come out flat after the big win against the '9ers. The Giants can beat anyone but they've shown in the past they can be beat by anyone if they are off their game.

DT Chris Canty activated off the PUP. It's unsure if he'll start but he showed enough that RB Da 'Rell Scott was put on IR to make room for Canty.

Ugly win. The 'Skins were crisper but made the bigger mistakes in turning over the ball so much. MGIII was a real challenge.

I blame gilbride for having a terrible game for once. The first down pass after the int was terrible, and going back shoulder to nicks when you needed one yard, glad Cruz came up big though

Took a trip down to the game yesterday and was pleased to see a great comeback. Watching RGIII live is something else, the guy is extremely quick and I was amazed at how fast the balls got from point A to B. He let a few throws loose that just had me shaking my head. All in all a great game, and I think this team is starting to get a little healthy and a little more swagger. Going to be a battle down the stretch, and I'm glad they came up big when they needed a divisional win. Seriously who can stop Eli Manning, other than himself?

I can't stress enough how good this team has played even though it has endured some injuries. This is very high reflection on the coaching on all levels. Just exceptional how they are coping with any injuries they face and keep on clicking.

Manning had by his standards a very bad game yesterday. He missed throws that he makes in his sleep and had a couple of poor decisions. But as per usual there is no better clutch player in all of the NFL and he proved why is he in the running this year for MVP as we are almost at the half way point.

A blow-out ends up being a skin of the teeth win, only the Giants. 6-2 all the rest of the NFC east lost so the Giants take a big lead in the division. Hope the offense works the kinks out. This game shouldn't have been so close. Hopefully it keeps them from the down game they usually have after a big win.

A blow-out ends up being a skin of the teeth win, only the Giants. 6-2 all the rest of the NFC east lost so the Giants take a big lead in the division. Hope the offense works the kinks out. This game shouldn't have been so close. Hopefully it keeps them from the down game they usually have after a big win.
The Giant offense played poorly today.They gave up a huge lead early, lost all the momentum, were down late. They won almost despite themselves.The good news is that most teams have days like this. Top teams find ways to win those games.

The Giant offense played poorly today.They gave up a huge lead early, lost all the momentum, were down late. They won almost despite themselves.The good news is that most teams have days like this. Top teams find ways to win those games.
Exactly.Some untimely drops, no rhythm on offense, but still got the win. Dallas should get some credit for having a very good pass defense as well, but did not like some of the play calling in this game on offense. Oh well take the win and let's move forward.

Very fortunate to get out of there with the win

The secondary has to improve …but I do like Stevie Brown he seems to have a nose for the ball

It will be interesting who will be cut when Will Hill comes back and if Beckum returns. Pascoe is an easier cut if Beckum returns. Possibly Petrus is cut again when Will Hill returns.

Players the Giants have tried out during the bye week:

@JennyVrentas

Giants tryouts yesterday: Joseph Addai, James Carmon, Bubba Forrest, Dante Hughes, Kregg Lumpkin, Trumaine McBride, Mewelde Moore... Tryouts (cont.): Curtis Painter, Ryan Torain, Jabara Williams.

Thank god for the bye is all I can say...

Scary to think this is the team that dominated San Fran in all three facets of the game not long ago...

Nice post from a guy at BBI

Playoff scenarios (after WAS win over DAL)

ray in arlington : 11/22/2012 9:03 pm

So with the Giants now at 6-4, and Dallas and Washington at 5-6, here's the playoff situation:

GIANTS take NFC East at 12-4 or 11-5.

GIANTS at 10-6:

Giants have an excellent chance to make the playoffs if they go 4-2 and get to 10-6. They only lose the division if DAL or WAS win out. Even if that happened a wild card is still likely.

GIANTS at 9-7:

Giants have a good chance is they go 3-3 and get to 9-7. To win the division, they probably have to finish with a better record than the other NFC East Teams or win a tiebreak by beating WAS again. Wild card chances are pretty good because the Giants will have at least a 7-5 conference record (maybe 8-4).

GIANTS at 8-8:

At 8-8 the Giants are unlikely to get in unless the other NFC East teams all do worse or the Giants win a tiebreak by beating WAS again. A Wild card is very unlikely.

====================================

Detailed NFC East stuff

====================================

Except for 1 case described below, ties with DAL and WAS will be settled solely on the basis of the remaining division games.

2-way tie with Dallas:

-----------------------

DAL takes a 2-way tie over the Giants at 10-6.

For Giants to take a 2-way tie over DAL at 9-7, 8-8 or 7-9, one of the following has to happen:

A) (very unlikely) Dal loses to PHIL AND DAL loses to WAS AND Giants go 1-1 or better in their remaining Phil/WAS games AND Dal catches the giants at 8-8 or 7-9

B) Dal goes 1-1 in their remaining Phil/WAS games AND GIANTS beat PHIL AND GIANTS beat WAS AND Dal catches the giants at 9-7 or 8-8

2-way tie with WAS:

------------------------

If Giants beat WAS, Giants win this tiebreak.

If Giants lose to WAS, WAS takes the tiebreak at 10-6 (WAS wins out) or 9-7. Almost certainly, WAS takes the tiebreak at 8-8 or 7-9 too. At 8-8 or 7-9, the only ways for NYG win this tiebreak is if WAS loses to DAL AND WAS loses to PHIL AND NYG beat PHIL AND GB beats NYG and then:

A) (very unlikely) NYG and WAS both get to 8-8 Giants could then win tiebreak by beating ATL or NO, or failing that, take strength of victory.

B) (extremely unlikely) NYG and WAS both get to 7-9 and Giants take strength of victory

3-way tie with WAS and DAL:

---------------------------

If Giants beat WAS, this goes to NYG.

If Giants lose to WAS, the Giants can't win this tiebreak.

===============================

WILD CARD

Excluding the likely division winners, and assuming the giants don't finish 3rd in the

NFC East, there are 2 spots available, probably from this group:

GB 7-3 (5-2 CONF)

NYG 6-4 (5-2 CONF)

SEA 6-4 (4-4 CONF)

MINN 6-4 (4-3 CONF)

TB 6-4 (3-4 CONF)

NO 5-5 (3-3 CONF)

The Giants have a win over TB. Results against GB and NO are TBD.

The Giants have the best conf record of the group. They have 5 conf games left and only 1 non-conf (vs BAL).

If they get to 10-6 their conference record will be either 9-3 (very likely to make it) or 8-4 (probably good enough)

If they get to 9-7 their conference record will either be 8-4 (maybe good enough to win tiebreaker) or 7-5 (probably messy).

Huge win crushing the Packers. It would be great to see the Giants go on a run playing this well. The next game against the 'Skins is really big, if the Giants win then they pretty much have the division won.

Huge win crushing the Packers. It would be great to see the Giants go on a run playing this well. The next game against the 'Skins is really big, if the Giants win then they pretty much have the division won.
Huge but costly! Andre Brown gone for the rest of the seasonTime for Wilson to step up. I assume they will bring in another back because they are down to 3 on the roster (Bradshaw, Wilson and Hynoski)

Huge but costly! Andre Brown gone for the rest of the seasonTime for Wilson to step up. I assume they will bring in another back because they are down to 3 on the roster (Bradshaw, Wilson and Hynoski)
Most of the season, he is on IR where he can comeback. So he'd be able to play in the Super Bowl. I'm eager to see what Wilson can do.

Most of the season, he is on IR where he can comeback. So he'd be able to play in the Super Bowl. I'm eager to see what Wilson can do.
Sucks for Brown since he was playing so well and had been thru so much, but I am also interested in seeing what Wilson can do.

Sucks for Brown since he was playing so well and had been thru so much, but I am also interested in seeing what Wilson can do.
We're all interested to see Wilson, but Brown is powerful and determined at the goal line and keeps some close-quarters wear and tear off of Bradshaw. Wilson is not that kind of back meaning Bradshaw back in at the goal line.

@JennyVrentas: Giants holding RB workout 2day. Two names there: Cadillac Williams, Ryan Grant. Sounds like some guys from last week may be there, too. #nyg

Ugh the last thing we need is an old plodder. Get Wilson more involved! I don't think any of the guys that they're trying out be would better goal line guys than Bradshaw or Wilson. Spread out the formation and let him use his speed to make guys miss. ####.

@JasonLaCanfora

sounds like the Giants will in fact add Ryan Torain too at some point in the near future

We're all interested to see Wilson, but Brown is powerful and determined at the goal line and keeps some close-quarters wear and tear off of Bradshaw. Wilson is not that kind of back meaning Bradshaw back in at the goal line.
yet he's never been given the chance at goal line carries so all you're doing is assuming based on his body typeblount is a big RB and he's absolutely abysmal in short yardage

yet he's never been given the chance at goal line carries so all you're doing is assuming based on his body typeblount is a big RB and he's absolutely abysmal in short yardage
Wilson is an inch shorter and same weight as Tiki Barber who was a great short yardage RB. I think technique is better than bigger in goal line. Just need to see if Wilson can do it. I don't think he's as much of a slasher/scat-back that many people think he is. Just like people say he's small, when he's about the average size for a RB at 5'9" 205 Lbs.

The Make-A-Wish foundation flew Adam and his family to New York.

Also a Giants fan that frequently posts on Big Blue Interactive.com posted this today:

Thank You NY Giants

MaineMike : 11:42 pm

My wife passed away during the Packers game the other night and tonight at her wake was flowers sent from John Mara and Steve Tisch next to her... I want to thank Eric and Pat Hanlon for making this happen.. I think a lot of Patriots fans in my area learned what a class act the Giants are... It was asked to me over and over. "The Giants sent Jodi flowers?".. It touched my heart, thank you...

------------------------------------

It's admirable that the Giants owners made such a gesture to a fan.

From BBI:

Playoff scenarios (after WAS win over NYG)

ray in arlington : 12:20 am

NOTE: I'm assuming there are no tie games.

===================================

The Giants have almost clinched a playoff spot if they go 3-1 and get to 10-6.

For Giants to get to 10-6 and miss the playoffs:

Need a DAL win out OR a WAS win out

AND

GB and CHI both go at least 11-5

AND

1) SEA wins out OR 2) SEA goes 3-1 and Giants go 3-1 with one of the wins against BAL and SEA clinches SOV

===========================================

NFC EAST RACE

===========================================

NYG 7-5, WAS 6-6, DAL 6-6

With 4 games left, the Giants

- are 1 game ahead of DAL and WAS. Giants lose 2-way tiebreak to DAL, lose 2-way tiebreak to WAS, and finish 3rd in 3-way tiebreak with DAL and WAS. In other words, they must finish with a better record than DAL and WAS to win the NFC East.

====================================================

WILD CARD

- Giants are likely to be wildcard if they go 3-1 and DAL or WAS wins out, as shown at the top of the post.

- Good wild card chance if they go 2-2, with the 2 wins coming from the 3 conference games (NO, ATL, PHIL). I think, at a minimum, SEA would have to go 3-1 or 4-0 for the Giants not to make it in this case. The Giants have to avoid finishing in a 3-way tie at 9-7 which puts them in 3rd place (see below)

- Tough to get wild card if they go 2-2 and one of the wins is against BAL.

Excluding ATL (likely division winner), and SF (still with a 1.5 lead in the West), and assuming the Giants don't win the division and don't finish 3rd in the NFC East, there are 2 spots available, probably from this group:

GB 8-4 (6-3 CONF) or CHI 8-4 (5-3 CONF)

NYG 7-5 (6-3 CONF)

SEA 7-5 (5-4 CONF)

MINN 6-6 (4-5 CONF)

TB 6-6 (3-6 CONF)

There's also

STL 5-6-1 (5-3-1 CONF)

NO 5-7 (3-5 CONF)

I don't list DAL or WAS because I'm assuming that one of them takes the division and the other finishes behind the Giants in 3rd place.

===========================================================

What happens if the Giants finish 3rd in the East?

===========================================================

The 2nd place team in the East would have to advance as the 1st wild card in order for the Giants to be considered for the 2nd wild card. Note that the giants can't finish 3rd at 10-6 (because WAS and DAL will play eachother), but they can finish 3rd at 9-7.

==========

SEEDING

==========

#1 ATL 11-1

#2 SF 8-3-1

#3 GB 8-4 (CONF 6-3) or CHI 8-4 (CONF 5-3, w/ loss to GB

and 1 more game against GB)

#4 NYG 7-5 (CONF 6-3)

Giants can't be in a tiebreak situation with SF unless they play a tie game themselves. So it's unlikely the head-to-head win over SF will apply.

GB/NYG 2-way tiebreak: This goes to NYG head-to-head

CHI/NYG 2-way tiebreak:

This goes to NYG. If NYG ties with CHI at the end of the season, NYG will have a better conference record.

CHI/GB/NYG 3-way tiebreak:

This goes to NYG. It reduces to CHI/NYG (see above) or GB/NYG (head to head to NYG), since the division tiebreak has to be applied first.

Who likely covers Sproels out of the backfield? Are they capable of covering him?
I would guess if its a LB it will be Jacquian Willimas who is just coming back from injury or if its a S (assuming they use the 3 safety look) it will be Anterll Rolle.

Is there a more overrated unit in the NFL than the Giants' D-line? Tuck/Osi/JPP have been very quiet this year.

Giants still control their own playoff destiny though. As do the Skins and Cowboys, although they play one another in the final week.

Users who are viewing this thread