What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 Packers Off Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

He's not the best, but TE becomes a gaping hole without him. I'm not a fan of drafting TEs earlier than round 3, either.
:goodposting: GB would miss him a lot more than fans realize and his dropped passes are way overstated. Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez both had a higher percentage of dropped passes than Finley. Finley is still young and very talented...to give up on him now and spend a high draft pick on a replacement with holes at oline, dine, lb, safety and RB would be downright foolish.
Why would they spend a high draft pick to replace him? I have no problem with Crabtree replacing him.
Yuck...he's nothing more than a backup TE. Many Packer fans have an irrational hatred of Finley and regardless of what you may think Finley's presence helps open things up for the WRs. Defenses still to account for him....Crabtree not so much.By the way Jordy Nelson had 1 less drop than Finley last year and 12 less catches yet no one complains about Jordy.
I would love to have Finley back. Would also like to sign Dannel Ellerbe, Paul Kruger, and Jake Long. But in the salary cap era, teams don't have limitless money. If Finley doesn't want to take a paycut, he needs to go, so money can be spent on that sorry excuse for a defense. The offense is Super Bowl caliber with or without Finley. Crabtree is just another guy, with the nfl's best QB throwing to him. He would be fine.
The problem is that I don't see Thompson taking that money they'd save with Finley to add defensive help. If I knew he'd go out and get a Kruger or Canty type then I'd have no problem with letting Finley go since it would essentially be a trade. But if he's not going to fill another hole and just use the cap $ on current players I'd rather have them find those dollars elsewhere (AJ Hawk).

He's not the best, but TE becomes a gaping hole without him. I'm not a fan of drafting TEs earlier than round 3, either.
:goodposting: GB would miss him a lot more than fans realize and his dropped passes are way overstated. Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez both had a higher percentage of dropped passes than Finley. Finley is still young and very talented...to give up on him now and spend a high draft pick on a replacement with holes at oline, dine, lb, safety and RB would be downright foolish.
Why would they spend a high draft pick to replace him? I have no problem with Crabtree replacing him.
Yuck...he's nothing more than a backup TE. Many Packer fans have an irrational hatred of Finley and regardless of what you may think Finley's presence helps open things up for the WRs. Defenses still to account for him....Crabtree not so much.By the way Jordy Nelson had 1 less drop than Finley last year and 12 less catches yet no one complains about Jordy.
I would love to have Finley back. Would also like to sign Dannel Ellerbe, Paul Kruger, and Jake Long. But in the salary cap era, teams don't have limitless money. If Finley doesn't want to take a paycut, he needs to go, so money can be spent on that sorry excuse for a defense. The offense is Super Bowl caliber with or without Finley. Crabtree is just another guy, with the nfl's best QB throwing to him. He would be fine.
The problem is that I don't see Thompson taking that money they'd save with Finley to add defensive help. If I knew he'd go out and get a Kruger or Canty type then I'd have no problem with letting Finley go since it would essentially be a trade. But if he's not going to fill another hole and just use the cap $ on current players I'd rather have them find those dollars elsewhere (AJ Hawk).
What you are failing to take into account in all of this is that from what we know, Finley is not a good locker room guy. From the agent ripping Rodgers, to Finley publicly throwing teammates under the bus, to him contantly talking about his money. Finley seems very concerned about Finley, and has since his arrival in Green Bay. I'll agree that he's a major talent. But by this point, I expect much more from a guy with his tools. McCarthy keeps saying that a light bulb went on, but I'm not convinced. I say let him play out the final year of his deal, then let him walk.

'Pipes said:
'Balco said:
'Pipes said:
'Balco said:
He will use the money to improve the club. TT doesn't spend $$$$$$ on free agents, but he does spend money. If Finley won't take a pay cut, he needs to be released. And I would not have any problem with Thompson using that money on extending Rodgers/Matthews. The defense doesn't need a superstar player, it needs players that know their roles and plays them well. Stays within the system. That is why I like Canty and Cullen Jenkens.

'Tony Jabroni said:
Chris Canty made a visit this week... :popcorn:
With the abundance of DL in the draft I'm not sure this happens. Though it could bode well for them positioning for the top RB in the draft if they address DL in free agency. Perry is coming back for OLB help, looks like they are retaining Hawk, so the team would look pretty good if they moved up a little bit in the draft to snag Lacy and grabbed a DL in FA. Then they could get one of the 3-4 low second round value OTs that are available in the second round to shore up the offensive line. I would actually like that whole scenario a lot... which means it will not happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tony Jabroni said:
Chris Canty made a visit this week... :popcorn:
With the abundance of DL in the draft I'm not sure this happens. Though it could bode well for them positioning for the top RB in the draft if they address DL in free agency. Perry is coming back for OLB help, looks like they are retaining Hawk, so the team would look pretty good if they moved up a little bit in the draft to snag Lacy and grabbed a DL in FA. Then they could get one of the 3-4 low second round value OTs that are available in the second round to shore up the offensive line. I would actually like that whole scenario a lot... which means it will not happen.
Obviously going to depend on the price with Canty. TT liked him a few years ago too but was not going to pay the price.Also have Jenkins still out there (and he has said he would welcome a return to GB...but the Pack don't seem to interested yet...his price may keep coming down though the longer he goes with no offers).Hopefully they will renegotiate Hawk. Id be ok with him at a much lower price.Lacy is interesting...I generally hate taking RBs early in the draft...and its always a wonder if its him or his line...but man he could be a nice addition.Looks like TT also took a nice long look at Ball at UW's pro day as well.

anybody think it would be good to go after Stephen Jackson?
Sure...adds a veteran back with still another year or two left in the tanks.Different running style than they really have.Have Harris in to spell him at times.If the price is right...TT will obviously not overpay for an older back.

anybody think it would be good to go after Stephen Jackson?
He is going to cost too much. I am fine with DeJuan Harris as the lead back, I really liked what I saw of him last season. He just looked like he ran at a different speed than the other backs. Definitely need to upgrade at the other spot, though.

Apparently 8 teams have contacted Brad Jones. Don't think the Packers can keep him. For all his ups and downs, he still played better than Hawk and flashed playmaking ability. Could also play both inside and outside linebacker. He will be missed.

I hope they made an offer to Chris Canty before he left.

Would love for an Aaron Rodgers deal to be announced soon. And a Clay Matthews one as well.

Pro Football Focus really likes Brad Jones. I'm not as keen. He's really good as far as someone who changed positions, going from OLB to ILB, and was a 3rd stringer before he got his shot.

If he continues to improve he could be a good get for someone else. Otherwise he's a replacement-level starter at best. There are much better UFA LBs out there.

I don't think I agree with TT's move of giving the low tender offer to EDS.

While some don't like him, he was a solid C last year and the only one on their roster.

Looking at the list of FA centers...he would seem the best available and if anyone signs him...the Packers could match, or get nothing in return.

All to save $700,000 on the tender.

I don't think I agree with TT's move of giving the low tender offer to EDS.While some don't like him, he was a solid C last year and the only one on their roster.Looking at the list of FA centers...he would seem the best available and if anyone signs him...the Packers could match, or get nothing in return.All to save $700,000 on the tender.
I have no problem with the tender. You really think Thompson wouldn't match an offer? There's very little risk here. EDA is not going to get a huge, break the bank deal. Thompson also knows that EDS isn't the long term answer at Center. Considering all of the guys they need to lock up to longer term deals, that $700,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

'Man in the yellow hat said:
'sho nuff said:
I don't think I agree with TT's move of giving the low tender offer to EDS.While some don't like him, he was a solid C last year and the only one on their roster.Looking at the list of FA centers...he would seem the best available and if anyone signs him...the Packers could match, or get nothing in return.All to save $700,000 on the tender.
I have no problem with the tender. You really think Thompson wouldn't match an offer? There's very little risk here. EDA is not going to get a huge, break the bank deal. Thompson also knows that EDS isn't the long term answer at Center. Considering all of the guys they need to lock up to longer term deals, that $700,000 is nothing to sneeze at.
That is true...that he won't likely get too big of an offer based on his resume so far.Don't know about if he is the long term answer at C though...Wells would not have been thought as that early on either.

No way do I take the chance on him at his current contract number of $2.5 mil. Only way I think they bring him back is at the minimum wage with perhaps some incentive clauses. They could use the help on the D-line but what do you get after a 3 year layoff?
@RobDemovsky Johnny Jolly's salary is now listed at $715,000 in the NFLPA database. His tolled contract was originally for $2.5 million@RobDemovsky Was told Jolly's restructuring took place yesterdayIt will be interesting to see if they even give him a shot. Bur for now they can take their time.

Little risk...hopefully a bi g reward.

Now sign Canty and lets worry about the Oline and lb and safety in the draft.

As a Packer fan...not sure why I keep refreshing Twitter...TT is not doing anything.

Brandt had the take on his feed.

"Strategy in GB was to hope for as much 'stupid money' spent in early days of FA, then sift through the rest of the group"

True...would not argue against his method...just wished he did use FA a tiny bit more (not the high priced big names that often bust).

This is on Rotoworld....

Profootballtalk reports the Packers are the "leaders" for free agent Steven Jackson.Normally, GM Ted Thompson doesn't shell out the cash for players on the wrong side of 30, but Jackson has expressed a desire to play with Aaron Rodgers and could be the missing piece to the offense. Jackson is certainly aiming to latch on with a contending team that has a murky running back situation.
...but I see nothing about it on PFT.

Been retweeted by several of the GB press so far.Walden signed with the Colts.
4 years 16 million. That is alot for him. He could put pressure on the passer, but man was he inconsistent in open space. Watch him on Kaepernick's 1,000 yard run in the playoffs. Completely lost.Still losing Waalden and likely Brad Jones really hurts the depth at LB. I was less than impressed with Nick Perry in his limited time last season. I saw Karlos Dansby was cut by the Dolphins, he shouldn't be that expensive and would be a huge upgrade in the middle over Hawk.

4 years 16 million. That is alot for him. He could put pressure on the passer, but man was he inconsistent in open space. Watch him on Kaepernick's 1,000 yard run in the playoffs. Completely lost.Still losing Waalden and likely Brad Jones really hurts the depth at LB. I was less than impressed with Nick Perry in his limited time last season. I saw Karlos Dansby was cut by the Dolphins, he shouldn't be that expensive and would be a huge upgrade in the middle over Hawk.
Yeah, I liked Walden for depth and as a pass rusher...but agree...way too inconsistent for that kind of money.Perry was/is a project...not everyone comes in as a rook and does what Clay has done.Hated losing Canty though...was hopeful on that one.

Yeah, I liked Walden for depth and as a pass rusher...but agree...way too inconsistent for that kind of money.Perry was/is a project...not everyone comes in as a rook and does what Clay has done.Hated losing Canty though...was hopeful on that one.
Ugh. Just saw he signed with Ravens. Not good.I honestly have no idea what they are going to do about the front 7. No Cullen Jenkins. No Chris Canty.

Hey...they got Jolly back :) .

While those two were inexpensive...the reasons were age/effectiveness for Jenkins and injuries apparently for Canty. But at their price tags, thought it was worth it.

TT appeared to give his price to Canty in a way...and he found more elsewhere.

They are still pursuing Steven Jackson and apparently have Peyton Hillis coming in for a visit.

And now some reports they are still talking with Jennings.

Wilde reported that a source stated that the Packers had made an offer to Jennings a while ago that was about $10mil per year (not sure the length).

Hillis may be used to replace Kuhn.

Just odd seeing TT this active on the first day of UFA.

Helps that Jackson and Jennings share the same agent as far as talking I guess...could also be helping to fuel the rumors.

Hey...they got Jolly back :) .While those two were inexpensive...the reasons were age/effectiveness for Jenkins and injuries apparently for Canty. But at their price tags, thought it was worth it.TT appeared to give his price to Canty in a way...and he found more elsewhere.They are still pursuing Steven Jackson and apparently have Peyton Hillis coming in for a visit.And now some reports they are still talking with Jennings.
Jenkins performed well in his tenure with the Eagles, as he was still able to generate pressure on the qb. The Pack really missed his presence. And Canty's injuries are concerning, but when on the field, he performed very well for the Giants. At their price, I am puzzled why the Pack didn't make a greater effort. Picket is no spring chicken, and Raji needs to get more plays off. He plays a lot better when his snaps are reduced. They need to get more rotation worthy NT and DE's. It's not like they would ask Jenkins or Canty to play 95% of the downs. Just really dissapointing.I would not want Jennings back at anything close to what he is seeking. James Jones, Randall Cobb, and Jordy Nelson is a pretty darn good trio. Don't spend any more money at WR. And I am not a fan of Steven Jackson at his asking price. Go with DeJuan Harris and a low cost free agent. This team can get to the Super Bowl with the skill position players they have presently. But that defense is dreadful.

I love Jennings, but I can't see the packers resigning him. If they spend 10 Million on him, 20 million on Rodgers, and 15 million for Matthews, that is 45 million of a 125 million salary cap on three players. You just can't do that. It would be those three guys and nothing but 1st contract players.

I doubt you see Jennings or Jackson for any rumored asking prices.

TT does not work that way.

They still have another 2 years of Rodgers under contract...possible they hold off on his deal this year.

and this just posted @TomPelissero

"I'm told the #Vikings are NOT actively pursuing Greg Jennings right now. Of course, that level of activity can change."

yeah, packer fans usually don't have too much to follow other than other team news on these early days.

been exciting a bit if nothing else.

Is he qualified for a compensatory pick? With that contract, the Packers may get a late round compensatory pick for him. Counting a pick for Jennings, that is two extra picks next year. I am still hoping for a 3rd round pick for Jennings.That is the real math for a Jennings Contract. Would you rather have Jennings at 5 years/50 million, or a 3rd round pick? I think this is a no brainer that you let him go. I have to think the talk of him coming back is just a smoke screen to drive up the price elsewhere.

'Balco said:
'sho nuff said:
'Balco said:
'sho nuff said:
Ugh. Just saw he signed with Ravens. Not good.I honestly have no idea what they are going to do about the front 7. No Cullen Jenkins. No Chris Canty.
listening last night to the radio, GBPressGazette reporter said that Canty failed his Packer physical

Now this is more like Packers early FA.

Rumors abound...nothing really happening after some initial stuff.

Still hear they are close on Jackson...as long as he comes down to their number.

Jennings is an unknown. Welker's deal should help GB as the market apparently is nothing close to what Jennings thought.

Problem may be that Jennings won't swallow the pride and has already mentally checked out of GB.

Still...if he does sign...speculation is that its either him or Finley...so Finley would be released.

I wouldn't want Jennings for anything over 6. I just think the money would be spent better elsewhere.

If Thompson is good at one thing, it's been bringing in good WR through the draft.

Green Bay Press Gazette reporting we are very close to signing both Jennings & Steven Jackson.
Awesome. Packers have a horrific defense and TT decides to spend money on offense, Jennings shouldn't be back, period. When you have Jones, Cobb, and Nelson, bringing Jennings back is no necessary, And I like Jackson more than most, and think he would do well in Green Bay, but how much is he going to cost? TT needs to be on the phone with Karlos Dansby's agent, not Greg Jennings,

Green Bay Press Gazette reporting we are very close to signing both Jennings & Steven Jackson.
Awesome. Packers have a horrific defense and TT decides to spend money on offense, Jennings shouldn't be back, period. When you have Jones, Cobb, and Nelson, bringing Jennings back is no necessary, And I like Jackson more than most, and think he would do well in Green Bay, but how much is he going to cost? TT needs to be on the phone with Karlos Dansby's agent, not Greg Jennings,
eh, not sure a 30 yold lb is the biggest need. JS says Jennings or Jackson

Jennings visiting that place with the annoying airhorn this morning.

I'd think his being in GB during Favre's waffling/"betrayal" as well as the end of Donald Driver's career as a fan favorite would influence him to come back, but who knows. The money might still be far apart.

'smackdaddies said:
'Balco said:
'Tony Jabroni said:
eh, not sure a 30 yold lb is the biggest need. JS says Jennings or Jackson
The biggest need, without question, is the front 7. Linebacker was a huge weak spot last year. Dansby is a 3 down linebacker who can play inside or out, and played 95 % of the defensive snaps for Miami last year. He would be a great signing.

'Engelberg said:
'Tony Jabroni said:
So much for either of them. Jax to Atl and Jennings will be signing with Minnesota.The Packers should win the North, but they will once again be one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Both lines will be real young and that's where the big games are won. Thompson just will not help his team out with FA's. Only through the draft and that will catch up with him.He lost Canty, now Jax and Jennings. His ego built this team and it'll be it's downfall too.
Good grief. Really? He's gonna have to pay Aaron Rodgers 20-25 Million annually. That will happen this offseason. He's gonna have to pay Clay Matthews 10-13 Million annually. That will happen this offseason. He's gonna have to pay BJ Raji 10+ Million annually. That will happen this offseason or next. So would you rather lose those guys in the prime of their careers, or sign Canty, SJax and/or Jennings to their final NFL contracts? (and Jennings is far from a done deal at this point.)

'Engelberg said:
'Tony Jabroni said:
So much for either of them. Jax to Atl and Jennings will be signing with Minnesota.The Packers should win the North, but they will once again be one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Both lines will be real young and that's where the big games are won. Thompson just will not help his team out with FA's. Only through the draft and that will catch up with him.He lost Canty, now Jax and Jennings. His ego built this team and it'll be it's downfall too.
He lost Canty to a failed physical...at least I ahve read that.Ego is a funny thing...people who actually know the guy have disagreed anytime someone has tried that criticism (Andrew Brandt being one of them)

Users who are viewing this thread