What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (3 Viewers)

UAB football folding up shop.
Is that official? It's not like I'll be in mourning, but it's ridiculous how this went down. #### Alabama.
What happen here?
Gene Bartow, previous BB coach @ UAB, wrote a letter to the NCAA insinuating Bear Bryant cheated while coaching at Alabama in the early 90s, and used his coaching tree, Jackie Sherrill, Danny Ford, and a couple of others, as "proof". This pissed off Bear Bryant Jr, who happens to be on the BoT for the UA education system. The same BoT that manages Alabama & UAB.

Jr is retiring sometime in the near future. Supposedly it's been his goal for years to shut UAB football down as a slap in the face to Bartow. Bartow of course is long dead, and I doubt he cares. Also, UAB football is a money pit, and has been supported, at least in part with money coming in from UA football, supposedly.

This state is really weird with football.
Pretty sure it's not just Alabama.

Buffalo has hired Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold, apparently. Link

Can't say I know anything about him, but I know UW-Whitewater is a D3 powerhouse, so at least he's got a winning pedigree?

Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold has agreed to become the new head coach at Buffalo according to a person with knowledge of the coaching search.

Leipold, 50, has won five NCAA Division III national championships in his eight seasons at Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he has a career record of 106-6. Division III does not award athletic scholarships. Leipold last month became the fastest coach in NCAA history across all divisions to reach 100 wins.

An announcement is expected Monday. Top-ranked Wisconsin-Whitewater (12-0) defeated Wabash 38-14 Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Division III playoffs.

Leipold is offensive-minded and known for his pro-style scheme. He’s respected in the coaching community and expected to bring at least one staff member with major FBS recruiting experience.
I think you'll like him. Lots of disappointed people around here but it was only a matter of time. It will be interesting to see how well he recruits, as well as how his pro style offense does with D1 talent.

Gameday did a short piece on him a few weeks ago. He's not really a "Rah Rah" type of guy but his players buy into it and he's got the hardware, even if only at the D3 level.

Is that official? It's not like I'll be in mourning, but it's ridiculous how this went down. #### Alabama.
What happen here?
Gene Bartow, previous BB coach @ UAB, wrote a letter to the NCAA insinuating Bear Bryant cheated while coaching at Alabama in the early 90s, and used his coaching tree, Jackie Sherrill, Danny Ford, and a couple of others, as "proof". This pissed off Bear Bryant Jr, who happens to be on the BoT for the UA education system. The same BoT that manages Alabama & UAB.

Jr is retiring sometime in the near future. Supposedly it's been his goal for years to shut UAB football down as a slap in the face to Bartow. Bartow of course is long dead, and I doubt he cares. Also, UAB football is a money pit, and has been supported, at least in part with money coming in from UA football, supposedly.

That is all pretty f'd up. I know they got a few paydays over the years from coming to Williams-Brice. Guess South Alabama can take their place in the cupcake rotation.

:poursout40:

Regarding the Cornhuskers: my Nebraska relatives think they are simply a coach away from returning to their Tom Osborne years of national glory, and that they can recruit with the SEC and Florida teams. Do you guys agree with this assessment?

Gump and I on the same page. :hifive:
I've seen this show...here's the ending:

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Plane tail number tracking starts up (probably already has)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Jimmy Sexton drives the rumor mill[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Local real estate agent says she showed Mrs X a house[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Ron Jaworski wonders if Nick Saban will take the job[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Jimmy Sexton starts making $$$$ hand over fist with client raises[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Local cable guy gets work order to install for Mrs X and posts it on message board[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Coach X formally says he’s happy where he is[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]10 other coaches who never had a chance also announce they are staying[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]School is hammered by media for having to settle for their 12th choice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]School hires coach they wanted all along[/SIZE]

If it can help them (conference championships mean something) then I'd imagine it can hurt them.
Could it help anybody other than Ohio State?
Nope.
Arizona? Missouri?
If OSU, TCU and Baylor all lose, then yes.

ETA: Wisconsin -3 is free money. Cardale Jones sucks and he's going against the best defense in the B1G. Not to mention OSU can't stop the run. Melvin Gordon may get his record back this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Tressel sightings in Lincoln. Not sure how I feel about that one, if true. I think he's at least smart enough to know what he doesn't know, unlike Bo.
Tressel with Frost also coming as OC is what I get from my NU friend.
Why would Frost take the same position at a lesser school? Doesn't make sense IMO.
Return home, 'double' his salary, coach in waiting...is the story.
Seems like a Nebraska fan's wet dream. Doubt he is leaving Oregon just to be a OC at Nebraska.
Oregon is one of the best funded programs around and is about to play in the playoff. He isn't leaving that for some sort of nostalgia. hC position? Yes. oC? Doubtful.
That's pretty much how I see it too.
I think Oregon is a great job - I'd never discount the allure of the alma mater, though.

Regarding the Cornhuskers: my Nebraska relatives think they are simply a coach away from returning to their Tom Osborne years of national glory, and that they can recruit with the SEC and Florida teams. Do you guys agree with this assessment?
Not really. As weak as the Big10 is preceived to be, I think most people would be happy being competitive within the conference. Right now they are not. Be competitive within the conference and then people can start clamoring for being competitive on the national stage.

For many reasons, Nebraska will probably never again have TO level success. I will say that it was very clear that Nebraska has been outcoached in many games the last few years.

What happen here?

According to people with more knowledge of the situation than me, UAB had money to build their own on campus stadium, but the BoT killed it. Apparently Legion Field is a dump and in a bad part of town, so no one wants to go there.

I'm only 35, but a lifelong Husker fan and been a season ticket holder. Almost never miss a game. I can tell you that, while far from perfect, Bo is not the biggest problem with the program.

No offense Tim, but your relatives are crazy. I can't stand that mentality. The glory days of Tom Osborne and winning 3 National Titles in 4 years are LOOOONG gone. As Husker fans, we need to accept that. I'm not saying we have to settle for mediocrity, but winning 9-10 games a year, typically competing for a league championship, and maybe occasionally throwing our hat in the ring for a national title is fine with me.

Based on many changes to the college football landscape over the years (that I won't delve into and bore you with right now), Nebraska is no longer an "elite" program. I think we are a "good" program that can even get back to being "great" at times, but the days of being an elite program year in and year out as the Huskers were in the 90's and even years previous are over.

I don't know how old your relatives are, but it seems to be the mentality of older folks in this area (Lincoln) that can't let go of the past and refuse to accept the way things are today.

Like I said, Bo is FAR from perfect, but I think he's done a solid job, especially considering the mess be inherited from Bill Callahan. I think he needed to make some staff changes and maybe "tweak" his defensive philosophy, but I don't think firing him was the right answer. And, while I certainly hope I'm wrong, I think as Husker fans, we'll regret this decision for quite some time.

Jorts were united this weekend! Too bad Jimbanjo continues to find ways to beat state rivals. 9-1 last 5 years. I'd guess 5% of the stadium was wearing Orange/Blue, if that (and that includes the band). Crowd also not as loud as other games this year at least where I was sitting (which was right next to Sammy Smith if any of you were at the game). I think Muschamps interview as FSU DC (I know it wont) went over very well. Guy can coach defense.

Hard to imagine this FSU team winning out. Could it happen? Sure. Only one thing is for certain...it won't be the Gators or to Miami (Bitcoinbowlboundbaby!) to end the streak. Thanks for sucking so much, we welcome in the new recruits.

Signed, state champs (again). #####es getcho Yellow Jackets gear ready, this could be the week. Or it couldn't.

I'm only 35, but a lifelong Husker fan and been a season ticket holder. Almost never miss a game. I can tell you that, while far from perfect, Bo is not the biggest problem with the program.

No offense Tim, but your relatives are crazy. I can't stand that mentality. The glory days of Tom Osborne and winning 3 National Titles in 4 years are LOOOONG gone. As Husker fans, we need to accept that. I'm not saying we have to settle for mediocrity, but winning 9-10 games a year, typically competing for a league championship, and maybe occasionally throwing our hat in the ring for a national title is fine with me.

Based on many changes to the college football landscape over the years (that I won't delve into and bore you with right now), Nebraska is no longer an "elite" program. I think we are a "good" program that can even get back to being "great" at times, but the days of being an elite program year in and year out as the Huskers were in the 90's and even years previous are over.

I don't know how old your relatives are, but it seems to be the mentality of older folks in this area (Lincoln) that can't let go of the past and refuse to accept the way things are today.

Like I said, Bo is FAR from perfect, but I think he's done a solid job, especially considering the mess be inherited from Bill Callahan. I think he needed to make some staff changes and maybe "tweak" his defensive philosophy, but I don't think firing him was the right answer. And, while I certainly hope I'm wrong, I think as Husker fans, we'll regret this decision for quite some time.
Yeah, you nailed it. They're my wife's relatives, they're from Grand Island, and the ones who have expressed this opinion are all over 50. Zach Wiegart is one of my wife's cousins though I have never met him. I have met his mother and her sisters.

They may be deluded, but they are earnest, and they are also some of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

The problem with being a whiny ####### at a large program is that you pretty much have to win something.

I don't disagree with much of this, but what if Pelini was given the option and refused to make staff changes? Not necessarily a bad thing, but he has been pretty loyal to his assitants.

Now we know where your unbridled optimism comes from.

If it can help them (conference championships mean something) then I'd imagine it can hurt them.
Nope.
Arizona? Missouri?

ETA: Wisconsin -3 is free money. Cardale Jones sucks and he's going against the best defense in the B1G. Not to mention OSU can't stop the run. Melvin Gordon may get his record back this weekend.
Reverse jinx shtick? :popcorn:

Jorts were united this weekend! Too bad Jimbanjo continues to find ways to beat state rivals. 9-1 last 5 years. I'd guess 5% of the stadium was wearing Orange/Blue, if that (and that includes the band). Crowd also not as loud as other games this year at least where I was sitting (which was right next to Sammy Smith if any of you were at the game). I think Muschamps interview as FSU DC (I know it wont) went over very well. Guy can coach defense.

Hard to imagine this FSU team winning out. Could it happen? Sure. Only one thing is for certain...it won't be the Gators or to Miami (Bitcoinbowlboundbaby!) to end the streak. Thanks for sucking so much, we welcome in the new recruits.

Signed, state champs (again). #####es getcho Yellow Jackets gear ready, this could be the week. Or it couldn't.
So is this homer shtick or nah?

Well fasteddie21 is going to hate this- he'll think I'm jinxing him, but-

I am predicting that the Oregon Ducks are going to win the national championship this year. I believe they will get revenge over Arizona, and then win their next two games. I don't necessarily believe they are the best team in college football, but they're on the right roll at the right time and I think their offense is going to steamroll all opponents.

While I do think most of the fans that demand a lot are older, I'm in my late 20's and I agree with them. Nebraska is still an elite program in terms of $ value. They have top notch facilities, an excellent stadium, incredible academic support, a great history of sending guys to the NFL, and you're the only game in town when it comes to sports. Sure, a lot of the top southern/west coast guys can't be swayed to live out in Lincoln NE for 4-5 years, but most of those guys were never going to leave their area anyway. I'll just put it this way, if Oregon can convince enough good players to live in Eugene and be nationally relevant year after year, so can Nebraska if the right coaching staff is in place. I just don't buy that Nebraska can't have higher aspirations than 9-4 and being a mid tier team in their own conference. That's a joke. No one is asking to compete for a national title every year, people remember that it took Osborne a long time to win his NC's. But you can't settle for a coach that only wins the games he should win, and almost never wins the games that are going to be tougher. Not when you're spending the kind of money that Nebraska is spending. Hell, they've willed Nebraska basketball into relevance through sheer money, determination, and hiring a quality coach. If Nebraska basketball can be relevant, so can Nebraska football. No question in my mind.

Don't buy this at all. A miracle comeback win at home isn't worth the balance of the schedule, and TCU beat Minnesota handedly OOC.
Baylor vs TCU

Yards: 782-485

1st Downs: 39-23

Gary Patterson, on going for it on 4th down (and failing): "Even if we kicked it to the 5-yard line, I didn't know if we could stop them."

The problem with being a whiny ####### at a large program is that you pretty much have to win something.
I can't argue that. Bo's record against Top 25 opponents is terrible. That has/had to change. And it's not just losing those games, but HOW they lose. (Giving up about 1,000 yards rushing and about 125 points in 2 games against Wisconsin is just AWFUL) Seemed like every season there was the one nationally televised embarrassment. Can't have that. Lose a close game, fine. Lose by 35+, no. Can't do it.

But again, I'll just say that I think some relatively minor changes in the program could have had a big impact. (i.e. recruiting an actual QB and not just an "athlete", dumbing down the defense a bit so players aren't constantly out of position, hiring qualified coordinators and not just "yes men".)

I basically agree with everything Adam Carriker has to say on the subject.

I believe a lot of the current and recent players don't know anything different than Pelini or Bill Callahan. That's all they've experienced as far as a college coach since high school. I not only played for Nebraska but idolized the team growing up and watched them more than all the other teams on earth combined. I dreamed of one day being a ‎Blackshirt‬ as a boy. I arrived to Nebraska right after the Rose Bowl year. The level of expectation when I was growing up and when I first arrived at Nebraska are completely different than they are now for the team.
I had a few conversations while I was in Washington DC with a recent former Husker (who I won't name) and he bragged to me more than a few times about how he won nine games while he was there and he played for a conference title. Don't get me wrong, those accomplishments as a college football player are nothing to sneeze at, but I did the same exact thing and I was mad about it at the time and it still makes me angry to this day that the most amount of wins I achieved in a season at Nebraska was actually 10 and I never won a championship.
When I played for the ‪‎Huskers‬ I never won a championship but that was always our goal, not a certain amount of wins against mostly unranked teams. This former Husker was proud of the same things that infuriated me.

I'm only 35, but a lifelong Husker fan and been a season ticket holder. Almost never miss a game. I can tell you that, while far from perfect, Bo is not the biggest problem with the program.No offense Tim, but your relatives are crazy. I can't stand that mentality. The glory days of Tom Osborne and winning 3 National Titles in 4 years are LOOOONG gone. As Husker fans, we need to accept that. I'm not saying we have to settle for mediocrity, but winning 9-10 games a year, typically competing for a league championship, and maybe occasionally throwing our hat in the ring for a national title is fine with me.

I don't disagree with much of this, but what if Pelini was given the option and refused to make staff changes? Not necessarily a bad thing, but he has been pretty loyal to his assitants.
That's actually the rumors I'm hearing around town today. That Bo was asked to fire his staff, but refused. I suppose that's admiral. Just wish I didn't have to come to that.

I'm only 35, but a lifelong Husker fan and been a season ticket holder. Almost never miss a game. I can tell you that, while far from perfect, Bo is not the biggest problem with the program.No offense Tim, but your relatives are crazy. I can't stand that mentality. The glory days of Tom Osborne and winning 3 National Titles in 4 years are LOOOONG gone. As Husker fans, we need to accept that. I'm not saying we have to settle for mediocrity, but winning 9-10 games a year, typically competing for a league championship, and maybe occasionally throwing our hat in the ring for a national title is fine with me.

That's actually the rumors I'm hearing around town today. That Bo was asked to fire his staff, but refused. I suppose that's admiral. Just wish I didn't have to come to that.
That might be true, but I know Eichorst explicitly said that he did not ask Bo to fire his assistants during the 20 minute meeting where Eichorst informed him that they were letting him go. I think its more likely that Eichorst asked him to make changes last year, Bo refused, and was given another year to prove it. Needless to say, he didn't.

I really don't think head to head means that much, especially when you consider it was a 3-pt win at Baylor.

I don't understand why people discount the fact that TCU has a substantially better loss than Baylor does. Why don't the Baylor supporters mention the fact that they lost by two touchdowns to an extremely mediocre WVU team.
if two teams with same conference schedule are tied for top spot with one loss, and team A beat team B, team A will always have the "worse loss.", by definition.

While I do think most of the fans that demand a lot are older, I'm in my late 20's and I agree with them. Nebraska is still an elite program in terms of $ value. They have top notch facilities, an excellent stadium, incredible academic support, a great history of sending guys to the NFL, and you're the only game in town when it comes to sports. Sure, a lot of the top southern/west coast guys can't be swayed to live out in Lincoln NE for 4-5 years, but most of those guys were never going to leave their area anyway. I'll just put it this way, if Oregon can convince enough good players to live in Eugene and be nationally relevant year after year, so can Nebraska if the right coaching staff is in place. I just don't buy that Nebraska can't have higher aspirations than 9-4 and being a mid tier team in their own conference. That's a joke. No one is asking to compete for a national title every year, people remember that it took Osborne a long time to win his NC's. But you can't settle for a coach that only wins the games he should win, and almost never wins the games that are going to be tougher. Not when you're spending the kind of money that Nebraska is spending. Hell, they've willed Nebraska basketball into relevance through sheer money, determination, and hiring a quality coach. If Nebraska basketball can be relevant, so can Nebraska football. No question in my mind.
I don't really disagree with what you are saying. And I never said Husker fans or the program had to accept mediocrity or a 9 win season; they can and should have higher aspirations. It's just my opinion that Bo wasn't as far off from achieving those higher expectations as others think.

The players love him and play hard for him. That means something. I think with a stronger staff around him and a QB that actually poses a passing threat, the Huskers are 1-2 wins better every year.

So legit curious about how the committee will weigh these conference title games. I know they are on the schedule so they need to be played, but is it fair that Bama, Oregon and FSU have to play and potentially lose an extra game that TCU/Baylor don't have?

Say Bama loses. Are they worse off at 11-2 than Baylor is at 11-1? Same with Oregon and FSU. I know this is the way the system is set up but I am curious to see how the committee weighs it. In the past we know the polls would just dump them.
Big12 plays 9 conference games. Those other conferences play 8 conference games + CG.

Also, if Big12 had divisions, Baylor would have won the south, and KSt the North, so this game is a quasi-CG.

More smoke to the Jim Tressel fire, the Vegas places offering prop bets for next Nebraska HC have stop offering the bet (Tressel was -120). Also rumors from players in the program (who has been silent on social media since the meeting between AD and players last night) that Tressel will be on campus today to tour facilities. But that's all second hand at best, so probably don't trust it.

EDIT: Gotta love the age of social media. Rumors spreading from football players talking about meeting last night w/ AD in their classes today. Word is that decision has been made on the new hire and the announcement will come Wednesday. Take that for the little that it is worth.

EDIT2: A guy from Huskermax who claims to have friends "close to the program" (read: rich booster friends) posted two weeks ago after the Wisconsin game that his booster friends were informed that Pelini would be fired and the announcement would come at the end of the regular season (which it obviously did). He's claiming that the details are being ironed out, but the top choice is Jim Tressel at HC and Scott Frost as Assistant HC/OC. Story being floated is that Tressel gets to reclaim his image after tattoo scandal by bringing Nebraska back to prominence before retiring and handing the reigns to Frost.

If any of that is true, I'm damn happy. So I'm sure none of it is. I read another quote a couple days ago attributed to Matt Davison (teammate of Scott Frost) at a Husker booster event from last year when Bo was on the hotseat for the leaked tape and poor performance. Basically said that Frost really wants to return to Nebraska, and was willing to make the jump last year. If true, makes it more likely that Frost would accept a "lateral" move from Oregon.

Buffalo has hired Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold, apparently. Link

Can't say I know anything about him, but I know UW-Whitewater is a D3 powerhouse, so at least he's got a winning pedigree?

Wisconsin-Whitewater coach Lance Leipold has agreed to become the new head coach at Buffalo according to a person with knowledge of the coaching search.

Leipold, 50, has won five NCAA Division III national championships in his eight seasons at Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he has a career record of 106-6. Division III does not award athletic scholarships. Leipold last month became the fastest coach in NCAA history across all divisions to reach 100 wins.

An announcement is expected Monday. Top-ranked Wisconsin-Whitewater (12-0) defeated Wabash 38-14 Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Division III playoffs.

Leipold is offensive-minded and known for his pro-style scheme. He’s respected in the coaching community and expected to bring at least one staff member with major FBS recruiting experience.
I think you'll like him. Lots of disappointed people around here but it was only a matter of time. It will be interesting to see how well he recruits, as well as how his pro style offense does with D1 talent.

Gameday did a short piece on him a few weeks ago. He's not really a "Rah Rah" type of guy but his players buy into it and he's got the hardware, even if only at the D3 level.
:thumbup: nice video. I can't argue with someone who has a 106-6 record and 1 more loss than he does national championships. Hope he can bring in some recruiting talent and turn this program around.

AD Danny White must love him. White has been going with splash hires across the board. Ex-Olympic athletes for the track teams, Bobby Hurley for men's basketball. A lot of people were wondering if he'd go with a big name ex-player for football, but nope. He must really believe in Leipold.

Turn back the clock. Do you stay in the Big12 or not?

Nope.
Arizona? Missouri?

Reverse jinx shtick? :popcorn:
Doubt it. I don't think Cardale is that bad, but their chances against Wisky are pretty bleak.

I wonder what the line would have been if Barrett had been healthy.

More smoke to the Jim Tressel fire, the Vegas places offering prop bets for next Nebraska HC have stop offering the bet (Tressel was -120). Also rumors from players in the program (who has been silent on social media since the meeting between AD and players last night) that Tressel will be on campus today to tour facilities. But that's all second hand at best, so probably don't trust it.

EDIT: Gotta love the age of social media. Rumors spreading from football players talking about meeting last night w/ AD in their classes today. Word is that decision has been made on the new hire and the announcement will come Wednesday. Take that for the little that it is worth.
Thanks for the info. That's what I'm hearing a lot of today as well. Also, a Scott Frost sighting at Valentino's last night! OC maybe?

If it is Tressel, your thoughts?

EDIT2: A guy from Huskermax who claims to have friends "close to the program" (read: rich booster friends) posted two weeks ago after the Wisconsin game that his booster friends were informed that Pelini would be fired and the announcement would come at the end of the regular season (which it obviously did). He's claiming that the details are being ironed out, but the top choice is Jim Tressel at HC and Scott Frost as Assistant HC/OC. Story being floated is that Tressel gets to reclaim his image after tattoo scandal by bringing Nebraska back to prominence before retiring and handing the reigns to Frost.

If any of that is true, I'm damn happy. So I'm sure none of it is. I read another quote a couple days ago attributed to Matt Davison (teammate of Scott Frost) at a Husker booster event from last year when Bo was on the hotseat for the leaked tape and poor performance. Basically said that Frost really wants to return to Nebraska, and was willing to make the jump last year. If true, makes it more likely that Frost would accept a "lateral" move from Oregon.
I would be pretty excited about that, but am in a see it before I believe it mode.

Hearing rumors that Pelini is burning bridges. Not the smartest move if he wants to be a HC again.

Turn back the clock. Do you stay in the Big12 or not?
No, I think the move to the Big 10 was the right one. I think we're more culturally aligned with the fan bases of the Big 10. Then again, I also like being able to watch nearly all Husker games on BTN instead of PPV like the old days, so maybe I'm biased. And I do miss playing OU, though ever since they were moved to the Big 12 south that rivalry was allowed to die.

Having been through the Tressel era here in Columbus, I can tell you that while you may have success, watching the games is brutal. Meyer is like a breath of fresh air that we had been staring at from other programs and could never get to. Though, the irony is that now our defense sucks, but at least our offense is fun to watch.

With Tresselball being Tresselball, I just don't know how that jibes with Frost and what he would want to do with that offense.

OK, seriously though

Tressel is not a football coach anymore he is the University President at YSU. Isn't it kind of a bad look to bail on that position after less than a year to go back into coaching? I know it is a small school but that is an important position.

I don't really disagree with what you are saying. And I never said Husker fans or the program had to accept mediocrity or a 9 win season; they can and should have higher aspirations. It's just my opinion that Bo wasn't as far off from achieving those higher expectations as others think.

The players love him and play hard for him. That means something. I think with a stronger staff around him and a QB that actually poses a passing threat, the Huskers are 1-2 wins better every year.
He had 7 seasons to put the pieces in place, and the reality is that program was at best treading water at this point.

Having been through the Tressel era here in Columbus, I can tell you that while you may have success, watching the games is brutal. Meyer is like a breath of fresh air that we had been staring at from other programs and could never get to. Though, the irony is that now our defense sucks, but at least our offense is fun to watch.

With Tresselball being Tresselball, I just don't know how that jibes with Frost and what he would want to do with that offense.
Many Nebraska fans would love to see a 4 yards and a cloud of dust offense. I think that works well in Nebraska. Also not sure how that aligns with Frost's experience at Oregon.

Thanks for the info. That's what I'm hearing a lot of today as well. Also, a Scott Frost sighting at Valentino's last night! OC maybe?

If it is Tressel, your thoughts?
So, the OC of a team that has a championship game this Friday flew half way across the country for dinner?

I know nothing of Nebraska football, but common sense says even if Frost becomes the OC, it won't be until after the playoffs. You don't miss a chance to be on a national championship staff, right?

If Tressel is hired, not only will Nebraska have to appeal to the NCAA to try to avoid sanctions (after already hiring him), he'll have to miss the first 5 games and any post-season games in year one even if they win the appeal.

After reading up on this, I'm pretty sure he'll be the president of YSU next season.

If Tressel is hired, not only will Nebraska have to appeal to the NCAA to avoid sanctions (after already hiring him), he'll have to miss the first 5 games and any post-season games in year one even if they win the appeal.

After reading up on this, I'm pretty sure he'll be the president of YSU next season.
I believe all of that, including the 5 game and post-season ban can be negotiated. But you may be right about him being at YSU next year.

ETA: If there's any truth to the Tressel rumor, those negotiations have already started.

Last edited:
So legit curious about how the committee will weigh these conference title games. I know they are on the schedule so they need to be played, but is it fair that Bama, Oregon and FSU have to play and potentially lose an extra game that TCU/Baylor don't have?

Say Bama loses. Are they worse off at 11-2 than Baylor is at 11-1? Same with Oregon and FSU. I know this is the way the system is set up but I am curious to see how the committee weighs it. In the past we know the polls would just dump them.
Those schools/conferences wanted the extra money, so yes it is extremely fair that they expose themselves to a potential detriment.

Users who are viewing this thread