What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 SF 49ers thread *** see original post or latest post for link to new 2018 thread (1 Viewer)

What sucks is this team is red hot and fun to watch again, and after next Sunday we have to wait til next fall to see them again. This offseason is gonna feel like forever.

San Francisco 49ers 2018 and 2019 opponents

Home: SEA, LAR, ARZ, CHI, DET, DEN, OAK, NYG

Away: SEA, LAR, ARZ, GB, MIN, KC, LAC, TB

2019:

Home: SEA, LAR, ARZ, ATL, CAR, CLE, PIT, NFC North same place finisher

Away: SEA, LAR, ARZ, NO, TB, BAL, CIN, NFC East same place finisher

Next years home schedule is cake. I see 6-2 or 7-1.

Away is a different story. Rams, Packers, Vikes, Chiefs, Chargers...man...5-3 maybe?

I'll go conservative and say barring any big injuries we finish 10-6 or 11-5 next year and make the playoffs. And Ill take that all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
San Francisco 49ers 2018 and 2019 opponents

Home: SEA, LAR, ARZ, CHI, DET, DEN, OAK, NYG

Away: SEA, LAR, ARZ, GB, MIN, KC, LAC, TB

2019:

Home: SEA, LAR, ARZ, ATL, CAR, CLE, PIT, NFC North same place finisher

Away: SEA, LAR, ARZ, NO, TB, BAL, CIN, NFC East same place finisher

Next years home schedule is cake. I see 6-2 or 7-1.

Away is a different story. Rams, Packers, Vikes, Chiefs, Chargers...man...5-3 maybe?

I'll go conservative and say barring any big injuries we finish 10-6 or 11-5 next year and make the playoffs. And Ill take that all day.
I love the enthusiasm! Those are some tough road games, however. I see more of a .500 record, myself, give or take a game. 

This makes you realize how bad Baalkes drafts were. Peters/Lynch/Shanny really nailed it.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Lynchs-First-49ers-Draft-Class-Making-Big-Impact-466801293.html

With just one game remaining in the 2017 season, it’s clear that the first draft class of 49ers general manager John Lynch has been a success.

Seven of the 10 players selected by Lynch have played big roles for the Niners as rookies, and several appear to be on track to play key roles for many seasons to come.

This past week in the 49ers’ victory over the Jaguars – their fourth straight – No. 1 pick Solomon Thomas (defensive line), No. 2 pick Reuben Foster (linebacker), No. 3 pick Ahkello Witherspoon (cornerback), No. 6 pick George Kittle (tight end), No. 7 pick Trent Taylor (wide receiver) and and No. 10 pick Adrian Colbert (safety) all were contributors. That’s great production on a team that was desperate for playmakers and depth on its roster coming off a 2-14 season in 2016. Plus, quarterback C.J. Beathard, the 49ers’ fourth choice, moved into a starting role this season after Brian Hoyer faltered, and goes into next season as Jimmy Garoppolo’s backup.

Heres a look at the past few 49er drafts

1 (3). Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
1 (31). Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
3 (2). Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
3 (40). C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa
4 (15). Joe Williams, RB, Utah
5 (2). George Kittle, TE, Iowa
5 (34). Trent Taylor, WR, Louisiana Tech
6 (14). D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss
6 (18). Pita Taumoepenu, LB, Utah
7 (11). Adrian Colbert, CB, Miami

1 (7) DeForest Buckner, DT, Oregon
1 (28). Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford
3 (5) Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State
4 (35). Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU
5 (3). Ronald Blair, DE, Appalachian State
5 (6). John Theus, OT, Georgia
5 (35). Fahn Cooper, OT, Ole Miss
6 (32). Jeff Driskel, QB, Louisiana Tech
6 (36). Kelvin Taylor, RB, Florida
6 (38). Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State
7 (28). Prince Charles Iworah, CB, Western Kentucky

1 (17). Arik Armstead, DL, Oregon
2 (14). Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford
3 (15). Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia
4 (18). Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma
4 (27). Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina
4 (33). DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech
5 (29). Bradley Pinion, P, Clemson
6 (14). Ian Silberman, OL, Boston College
7 (27). Trenton Brown, OL, Florida
7 (37). Rory Anderson, TE, South Carolina

Heres an interesting stat:

49ers QB win leaders:

2017: Jimmy Garoppolo (4) and probably (5) after week 17

2016: TIE - Blaine Gabbert (1), Colin Kaepernick (1)

2015: Gabbert (3)

Fantasywise this looks to be an offense to grab a part of this off season.

If I were a 9er fan I would be very excited. I am very  imoressed with Lynch’s moves thus far.

Might be a good bet on the over for their win total. 

I think the Adam Peters hire has to be mentioned here. It wasnt all Lynch and Shanny, Peters had a huge hand in scouting for the draft.

I just havent seen anyone bring his name up, but he's a major player behind the scenes and deserves some credit.

I think the Adam Peters hire has to be mentioned here. It wasnt all Lynch and Shanny, Peters had a huge hand in scouting for the draft.

I just havent seen anyone bring his name up, but he's a major player behind the scenes and deserves some credit.
Absolutely. 

Key hire due to Lynch's inexperience.  Also showed that Lynch is going to surround himself with good people instead of minions who only follow his lead.

I was wrong about the trade; this guy has way more game than I anticipated.  You can quibble with the valuation but at the end of the day, you are thrilled if you can get a competent long term starter. 
I think SF is very happy with the price tag, keeps falling and I agree they feel they solved the question. Ask teams that have no answer to that dilemma. So now they can go about focusing on rest of team

What do you guys think about Hyde?  Do you want them to draft Barkley if available, or feel comfortable with Hyde as the guy?

I'm fine with Breida.  I don't think taking a rb at the top of the draft is a good move by any team
100% agree with the bolded. Even guys that are drafted high that pan out, there is almost always a more valuable player there. Ezekiel Elliott has been great, and he wasn't the best pick. Dallas would have been way better off taking Jalen Ramsey.

100% agree with the bolded. Even guys that are drafted high that pan out, there is almost always a more valuable player there. Ezekiel Elliott has been great, and he wasn't the best pick. Dallas would have been way better off taking Jalen Ramsey.
Plus in a year they are going to have to decide whether to give elliott 20 million per year or let him go.  that kind of salary to a rb cripples your team.  Look at the packers drafting williams and jones late.  Both are solid nfl rbs at no cost

Plus in a year they are going to have to decide whether to give elliott 20 million per year or let him go.  that kind of salary to a rb cripples your team.  Look at the packers drafting williams and jones late.  Both are solid nfl rbs at no cost
Zeke is essentially locked up for 3 more years

Pretty sure that using the 5th yr option is quite expensive for teams. Similar to Franchise salary, but not actually sure of how it is decided

Pretty sure that using the 5th yr option is quite expensive for teams. Similar to Franchise salary, but not actually sure of how it is decided
If drafted in top 10, it’s the average of 10 highest paid at the position. Rest of first round is average of 3rd through 25th hightest paid at the position. 

Zeke will play if they pick up his option. Nice paycheck. 

Assuming no big FA WR signed, I would like to see them draft a WR in round 2 or with one of their early 3rds.

-The kid with the long 1st name, St Brown from ND looks intriguing.  Big body with speed.  Seems like he is projected anywhere from early 2nd to mid 3rd.  Read where he is a good route runner who was open a lot, but the crappy ND QBs couldn't get him the ball. 

-Pettis from Washington:  6 or 6'1" depending on which site you look at.  Some people love him while others say he is a JAG.  Excellent punt returner which they can use.  Projected anywhere from later 2nd round to later 3rd.

Any of you big college football fans have any input?

Any team who takes a RB in the top 10 are idiots. That goes for Barkley as well as my Cowboys taking Zeke over Jalen Ramsey. I literally couldn't believe it when it happened, LOL.

There's too many top RBs that can be had later & with the inherent injury risk at the position, taking a RB anywhere in the 1st round is a poor decision, IMO.

It's been proven over & over again difference-maker type RBs can be had on day-2 & later. Same goes for giving RBs long-term ultra lucrative contracts. It can be a sure way to cripple yourself.

There aren't many big name WRs available right now, but something tells me that SF will at least make a run at Sammy Watkins. 
Robinson would make sense if his knee checks out.

Watkins is interesting for sure.  Stayed healthy this year which is a good sign

There aren't many big name WRs available right now, but something tells me that SF will at least make a run at Sammy Watkins. 
I would prefer they go after one of the Jacksonville WRs. Both Robinson and Lee are are up for free agency and I think both would be cheaper than Watkins, although I guess it depends on how far along Robinson is in his rehab. Lee could be a nice grab, along the lines of what Woods did for the Rams.

Read that the Rams were considering tagging him, but not sure how accurate that was.  Seems a really high price to pay, even for one season. 
I'd be shocked if they tagged him.  He's not deserving of anything close to that salary.  They would be fine without him

from Lynch/Kyle end of year presser.

You knew that there were challenges that you were going to face with building a roster. In hindsight, how important was the decision to add vice president of player personnel Adam Peters and senior personnel executive Martin Mayhew to your personnel team to help you bridge those?

JL: “I think any time you’re in this situation, obviously my own circumstances and background were a little unique. But, anybody who jumps in this role, you better have a great team around you. I tried to assemble the best team I could. I’m extremely pleased with both of them and their contributions. Both Adam and Martin have been invaluable to me, as have [director of pro personnel] Ran Carthon and all the scouts that work with us. They’ve done a really, really good job, working hard, working smart. I’m really happy and glad to have all those guys as part of our team.”

I really want the niners to take a long hard look at Nick Chubb... everything from his running style to his injury history bears an uncanny resemblance to Frank Gore.

Assuming no big FA WR signed, I would like to see them draft a WR in round 2 or with one of their early 3rds.

-The kid with the long 1st name, St Brown from ND looks intriguing.  Big body with speed.  Seems like he is projected anywhere from early 2nd to mid 3rd.  Read where he is a good route runner who was open a lot, but the crappy ND QBs couldn't get him the ball. 

-Pettis from Washington:  6 or 6'1" depending on which site you look at.  Some people love him while others say he is a JAG.  Excellent punt returner which they can use.  Projected anywhere from later 2nd round to later 3rd.

Any of you big college football fans have any input?
Just watched some youtube highlights of all the top WR prospects coming out next year... St. Brown and Kirk were the two that caught my attention.

Any team who takes a RB in the top 10 are idiots.
Two of the last three teams that did it (Jags and Rams) are in the playoffs with that RB being a big part of the equation and Dallas was last year in large part because of Elliot. It's the same as everyt position if the talent is there it's a good pick, if it's not it's not.

Two of the last three teams that did it (Jags and Rams) are in the playoffs with that RB being a big part of the equation and Dallas was last year in large part because of Elliot. It's the same as everyt position if the talent is there it's a good pick, if it's not it's not.
Couldn’t disagree more. It’s not a good long-term investment. A lot of RBs would be thriving in those environments. A top pick at a key position is much more impactful. 

It’s even more of a disaster recently due to the last 2 RB classes. The position is getting restocked.

I can’t even begin to explain how dumb it is, IMO.

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s not a good long-term investment. A lot of RBs would be thriving in those environments. A top pick at a key position is much more impactful. 

It’s even more of a disaster recently due to the last 2 RB classes. The position is getting restocked.

I can’t even begin to explain how dumb it is, IMO.
I think it's dumb to make absolute blanket statements.

I think it's dumb to make absolute blanket statements.
Maybe things could change, but with the way positional dynamics are right now, taking a RB in the top 10 is absurd, IMO.

That goes for the whole 1st round unless it’s a very specific sitiation where you’re deep everywhere else & it’s the last piece.

Otherwise, trust your scouting department  to find a stud on day-2. They’re getting plentiful. There’s numerous recent examples.

Maybe things could change, but with the way positional dynamics are right now, taking a RB in the top 10 is absurd, IMO.

That goes for the whole 1st round unless it’s a very specific sitiation where you’re deep everywhere else & it’s the last piece.

Otherwise, trust your scouting department  to find a stud on day-2. They’re getting plentiful. There’s numerous recent examples.
If that RB is one of the ten best players in the draft, then it's not absurd. I also pointed out how the last 3 RBs drafted in the top 10 made major impacts on the teams that drafted them.

And there are day 2 studs at other positions as well. It was a popular thing to say for a while - but frankly there just weren't any RBs worthy of being first round picks for a while.

Barkley will almost certainly be a first round pick this year (and likely top 10) and my guess is he'll make a major impact on the team that takes him. Now sure there are more valuable positions where if all else is equal you wouldn't take the RB, but there's always different ways to build a roster. 

It’s an extremely poor way to spend a top-10 pick, IMO. For multiple reasons.

In fact, I can’t think of anything worse. It might possibly be the safest pick in some instances, but it’s not a smart long-term move.

Let’s just say we agree to disagree.

If that RB is one of the ten best players in the draft, then it's not absurd. I also pointed out how the last 3 RBs drafted in the top 10 made major impacts on the teams that drafted them.

And there are day 2 studs at other positions as well. It was a popular thing to say for a while - but frankly there just weren't any RBs worthy of being first round picks for a while.

Barkley will almost certainly be a first round pick this year (and likely top 10) and my guess is he'll make a major impact on the team that takes him. Now sure there are more valuable positions where if all else is equal you wouldn't take the RB, but there's always different ways to build a roster. 
Fournette went to a team with a number 1 defense.  That's why they are in the playoffs.  They would be in the playoffs with ivory in the backfield quite frankly.  Same with zeke.  Dallas had by the far the best oline in the league.  They couldn't have drafted someone in the third round and had a similar record.  

if someone is desperate for a rb, then trade down.  They are like wr's.  GM's pick them because they are flashy but eventually they cripple your team because you just can't invest that kind of money in those positions.  

Fournette went to a team with a number 1 defense.  That's why they are in the playoffs.  They would be in the playoffs with ivory in the backfield quite frankly.  Same with zeke.  Dallas had by the far the best oline in the league.  They couldn't have drafted someone in the third round and had a similar record.  

if someone is desperate for a rb, then trade down.  They are like wr's.  GM's pick them because they are flashy but eventually they cripple your team because you just can't invest that kind of money in those positions.  
How did the Jags do with Ivory the season before? How did the Cowboys do in 2015 or this season when Zeke was out?

ETA: I do not mean to imply that Fournette, Elliot and Gurely are the only reasons their team is successful, but I also think it's unfair to try and claim any RB could step in and do what they do for their teams. That has shown not to be true.

The Jaguars could very well have made the playoffs without Fournette, yes - but he's a major part of their offense and has even helped Bortles become a better QB.

The Cowboys offense totally fell apart once Zeke started his suspension, despite their great o-line.

Gurley will likely finish second in MVP voting (and maybe even first) and if the Rams makes noise in the playoffs it's likely because he's having big games.

Most late round RBs show flashes here and there but do not have sustained success.

The simple fact is you can get studs on day-2 & even later. What Dallas did without Zeke is irrelevant.

They could’ve had Jalen Ramsey & Derrick Henry for instance. Many Dallas fans were hoping both players would fall to their respective spots in rounds 1 & 2.

Lo & behold it happened, but I nearly crapped my pants when they announced Zeke at 4. Just think how much of a difference Ramsey would make to that D with pass rushers like DeMarcus Lawrence/David Irving & a LB like Sean Lee. And can you imagine Henry behind that OL? Taking Zeke at 4 put a major hurt on their immediate potential. The Cowboys have enough talent to eventually overcome it, but they screwed up big-time.

Other than taking a K or P, there’s nothing worse than spending a top-10 pick on a RB, IMO. It’s extremely risky at best & short-term suicide at worst.

Users who are viewing this thread