What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

Doug:

- Sweat will be okay to play
- Slay in concussion protocol
- Macleod out rest of season with a torn ACL
- Maddox out multiple weeks

First question about why he didn't praise Jalen:

- I was thinking about Carson, but also thinking about the rest of the team
- Jalen played well and was a huge part of our success winning the football team
- A lot of positives coming out of the game, and didnt want to say it was about one guy
- I've always been about the team, that was a team win yesterday

Insein said:
Doug Peterson with backup QBs. 11-3. 

With Wentz. 35-33-1. 

He just calls it differently with the backup.
And Doug nails it on the presser:

“Teams have more tape on your starters.”

First few games with Wentz how’d he look?

Foles?

Now Hurts. What happens now when the tape grows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good questions today:

Asked about how he is 11-2 with backup qb and if he is better playcaller with backup.

- Doug says its a great question and many backup qb's have success in recent years around the league
- Maybe he has kept things more simple for  backups
- Less film on backups was the big thing he kept mentioning, avoided any notion of his playcalling being better when he has a backup in
- Gave Jalen way less freedom than he gives to Carson in terms of adjusting plays

We talk all we want about Doug's coaching but the truth is Hurts got the ##### out of the pocket as fast as he could. Our Oline is complete #####.
Our Oline keeps shuffling around, so yea. A lot of young inexperience there. What we NEED is to let them stay together for a few games and actually get some chemistry.

Wentz this year just made too many mistakes. He played way better in his rookie year. Hurts isn't a fast runner but he looks better then Wentz does escaping the pocket. I'm curious if Wentz is injured and not saying anything. He just doesn't look the same physically and mentally. Hell Jeffery is the same. Jeffery all of a sudden looks old. Doesn't seem to be having any fun out there like he used to.

Wentz this year just made too many mistakes. He played way better in his rookie year. Hurts isn't a fast runner but he looks better then Wentz does escaping the pocket. I'm curious if Wentz is injured and not saying anything. He just doesn't look the same physically and mentally. Hell Jeffery is the same. Jeffery all of a sudden looks old. Doesn't seem to be having any fun out there like he used to.
Im worried that once there’s tape on Hurts he’ll look like the others as long as Doug is around. Hurts is 100% healthy in week 14. He was ran 18 times and looked great because he had barley played. As a passer he didn’t look good to me and these dink and dunk drives (6 minutes to go 35 yards) just arent sustainable IMO. 

The fumble late, the near pick 6 that I believe would have given the Saints the lead and he had another where Reagor had to break up what looked like a sure pick. Hell, his big gainer to Reagor was 100 OPI and not even a close one. 

What im getting at or worried about is Wentz and other players will look bad because they’re in such bad situations. 

First game was 24-38 237 and 4 TD’s with a 115+ rating

Second game was Raider and that sucked. 

Third game was the Dallas game where he played a series and than the playoffs when he went nuts. 
Ah right, I forgot about he Giants game.

He wasn't great against Atlanta in the playoffs either (stats were ok, but 15 points, he didnt do much), it was really those next two against the Vikings and Pats he went off.

Of course then he went off against Houston in 2018 late in the year - so, he's a poor example of 'getting figured out'. He's just inconsistent.

Third game was the Dallas game where he played a series and than the playoffs when he went nuts. 
Atlanta game wasn't very good either IIRC.  Took him a few weeks as the starter to get in the groove and then he went off.  And now he sucks.

Doug does make a good point about backup qb success around the league.  Foles came in throughout his career and did well.  Taysom played lights out the first few weeks.  Even Mullins and Luton did the same.  Maybe it is that the team rallies around them, or maybe the 'lack of tape on them' is actually a bigger thing than fans realize?  Either way most of them seem to come down to earth eventually.  We'll find out in the next 3 games how Hurts really is.

We'll find out in the next 3 games how Hurts really is.
I mean - we probably won't tbh. If he has substandard games, that won't tell us who he is really is. 

These next games for Hurts are about getting him experience, but I find it unlikely we'll know how well he can do as a starter based on them. Josh Allen looks like a classic example of this (of course there's also guys that look amazing early on and then fall off, ie Robert Griffen)

Atlanta game wasn't very good either IIRC.  Took him a few weeks as the starter to get in the groove and then he went off.  And now he sucks.

Doug does make a good point about backup qb success around the league.  Foles came in throughout his career and did well.  Taysom played lights out the first few weeks.  Even Mullins and Luton did the same.  Maybe it is that the team rallies around them, or maybe the 'lack of tape on them' is actually a bigger thing than fans realize?  Either way most of them seem to come down to earth eventually.  We'll find out in the next 3 games how Hurts really is.
Foles was 23-30 for 246 0 & 0 against Atlanta. Wouldn’t say great of course but good

What Doug did was confirm what we’ve known. The trend is there and he’s aware. With tape comes adjustments to him and he fails after that. After seeing Wentz and Foles I fully expect the same to happen with Hurts like it did the other 2 and others around the league. 

I mean - we probably won't tbh. If he has substandard games, that won't tell us who he is really is. 

These next games for Hurts are about getting him experience, but I find it unlikely we'll know how well he can do as a starter based on them. Josh Allen looks like a classic example of this (of course there's also guys that look amazing early on and then fall off, ie Robert Griffen)
Allen’s measurables blow Jalen’s out of the water in just about every way IMO and that’s before factoring in weapons, coaching and growth. You don’t see many guys his size, who can run like that with that kind of arm. 

He really reminds me of a Dak clone only Dak had a far better supporting cast and much better accuracy. 

No matter what QB we have we need the supporting cast and coaching to improve first and foremost. 

I worry about money being a motivator behind getting rid of Carson. We are in such bad cap hell next season and he’s a chunk of it for a few years. I also don’t know if I’d be able to stomach him rebounding somewhere else while we rebuild. That may brake me as a fan lol

jeffery doesnt deserve to have the play time hes getting. another dumb mistake the team continues to make

That may be true, but giving Carson's  adjusting of plays as a reason for having a better record with the back up doesn't sound like a compliment.

The Raiders game was a windy, cold, night game at the Linc. Look at Derek Carrs stats: 50% completion percentage, 140 yards, of which 63 were on one TD pass to Cooper, plus 2 ints. Not a good night for passing. And Nick did lead the Eagles down the field to kick the go ahead FG with 22 seconds left. Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story of how someone did.

Ya I don't know where you're going with that. You are usually one of the better Dallas posters that doesn't come here to troll and actually has some good insight on things, but I think you are a bit off here. We were trying to figure out the probability if we'd get a top 5 pick or not and disagreeing on if it was a sure thing or not. If you don't like the posts here you don't have to read them.

"Nobody posts in the Dallas thread because we know we suck and don't have to get the last word in"...  Ya, percentages are the ONLY thing being discussed in here and you're far superior because you guys just go quiet when the team isn't good. C'mon man you're better than this, call a spade a spade. There may be some emotional banter in here but I'd rather great content with a bit of that mixed in then a forum that only has people discussing things when the team is winning. 
As well as you are too. My point was why keep arguing over the semantics  of who is right between you and another fan on a percentage number? You both agree it’s a small number. Again, YOU are better than having to always “win” with the last word on such a nothing detail. Don’t cloud the good insight you provide with pettiness. I think some of your peers in here agree obviously, no need to dis the advice because I’m a Dallas fan. 
carry on, Bro.👍🏼

As well as you are too. My point was why keep arguing over the symptoms of who is right between you and another fan on a percentage number? Again, YOU are better than having to always “win” with the last word on such a nothing detail. Don’t cloud the good insight you provide with pettiness. I think some of your peers in here agree obviously, no need to dis the advice because I’m a Dallas fan. 
carry on, Bro.👍🏼
We're in lockdown and my team is doing awful.  I'll talk about what I want  😂

We're in lockdown and my team is doing awful.  I'll talk about what I want  😂
Mine too, so come to Texas. 60 degrees, suns shining, smell of freedom in the air. I’ll take you hunting and fishing and you wont worry about being arguing on a computer. We don’t lock down, we just spread out.😁 you might like it.

Mine too, so come to Texas. 60 degrees, suns shining, smell of freedom in the air. I’ll take you hunting and fishing and you wont worry about being arguing on a computer. We don’t lock down, we just spread out.😁 you might like it.
I love hunting and fishing. What part of Texas are you from?

Doug's record with backups and the differences in the gameplans we see in those situations is an interesting thing.

How much of the difference is down to Carson's preferences vs. Doug's choices, I wonder?  

ETA: And has Doug's biggest issue being catering to Wentz's preferences too much?
I noticed this isn't just a Doug thing. When Andy was here he did the same thing with Back up especially when McNabb was out. AJ Feeley comes in run more, Foles came in Run more last year Reid was here. Go back and watch some of the games in Seasons McNabb played and got hurt and some of the QBs after that. Another example would be Vick but I can't use that as it was more Vick Struggled with the regular WC system the Eagles used and had to go hybrid while Foles could run a more traditional. 

If the HC is using the players input to run an offense that is sucking he should be fired immediately. I’m not remotely trying to hear that Doug is a victim in this at all. He’s been bad for a while now and as well as he did yesterday his flaws still stood out again 

Surly you’ve seen enough good coaching over the years where a good coach will get the best out of his players and put them in advantageous positions. You’ve also seen talented players under bad coaches and magically become great when they have good coaching. That’s your common denominator. 

The offense we saw yesterday with the WB carrying the ball 16 times and throwing for 160 yards is not sustainable or an NFL offense. 
It's getting clearer as the years go on that Frank Reich may have had more of an impact then we ever imagined. 

I think a big part of it is the whole team has seen a player who was thought of as a fixture, get benched.  That kind of thing gives everyone a kick in the ### I think.   How many drops and missed blocks did you see today?  Nowhere near as many.  

Still plenty of missed tackles to go round in the 2nd half though.
It's like when the team fires its manager in baseball or coach. Team rallies knowing their backs are up against the wall, however time and time again eventually the team falls back to reality. I saw it more yesterday or a wake up call to players, playing to keep a spot next year. 

I don’t see how this is protective of Wentz to be honest. 

This has more to do with our media who will continue to drive this wedge than anything. Everything Doug said can be true at the same time but now if he doesn’t praise the exact same way he’s protecting Wentz? This will be going racial soon I’m sure too. 
It's already started on social media unfortunately. 

But to bring up racial I saw an interesting stat the other day that no team has had more success with African American QBs than the Eagles. 

But I think what people are not factoring in is will teams be willing to take on the contract of the worst starting qb in the NFL in 2020? It is a huge gamble for a team to take on Wentz contract. I feel like his connection to Reich might lead Colts to put out feelers but as a gm would you be willing to put your job on the line to hope Wentz can become a solid qb again?
Or the want take the contract and give up the picks Value the Eagles would want back. I would think and hope they'd asked for at least a first rounder and a 3rd with other picks involved as well. Maybe 2 firsts. There's executives apparently around the league who believe Carson still has what it takes to be 2017 MVP. Either way Id rather this team get Hurts playing well enough and then sucker some team into thinking he's a future Russ Wilson and spending 1st/2nd to us for him. 

From Dan Orlovsky:

The Wentz-Pederson relationship is weird man.
It seems other QBs bring out the best in Doug as a play-caller and designer—and Wentz brings out the worst. There is just some form of a block or disconnect between the two of them. Reich was that for Wentz-doesn’t seem Doug is
Orlovsky for Wentz's QB coach next year. NOT EVEN JOKING 

He needs to answer it either way. If Carson isn't smart enough to run the plays, you need to tell us that. There's no need to protect him if it's going to cost you your job. I don't suspect Carson being too dumb to be able to run RPOs though. 
That would be strange because every scouting report I saw, or every game I watched of Wentz scouts raved about how Carson was able to play with any kind of offense. His offense at NDST was a hybrid pro offense with college stuff mixed in it. He was making line calls in a no huddle offense at times people said they hadn't seen from a college QB since Peyton let a lone someone who wasn't playing top level college ball either. 

I think one of the issues here is our media are a bunch of cowards and keyboard warriors. They love to talk smack on the team behind the camera but when it person they glad hand the team. No one has the balls to ask the tough questions and if they run around the bush to keep haggling till they get some sort of response. They want to be NYC Sports media but can't even do it right. This should've been one of the FIRST QUESTIONS last night asked after the game "Coach why are the gameplains different from Carson Vs whoever else plays not named Carson?" If Doug gives the it's not much changed excuse you start rattling everything off they did with X QB not named Carson and how we saw very little with Carson in there. There's literally days I feel I could do the sports media job in this town better then some of these clowns who get paid to do it. 

And Doug nails it on the presser:

“Teams have more tape on your starters.”

First few games with Wentz how’d he look?

Foles?

Now Hurts. What happens now when the tape grows?
Thats what some people are forgetting with Hurts already. Lets give an opportunity before anointing him the next Franchise QB here. 

Allen’s measurables blow Jalen’s out of the water in just about every way IMO and that’s before factoring in weapons, coaching and growth. You don’t see many guys his size, who can run like that with that kind of arm. 

He really reminds me of a Dak clone only Dak had a far better supporting cast and much better accuracy. 

No matter what QB we have we need the supporting cast and coaching to improve first and foremost. 

I worry about money being a motivator behind getting rid of Carson. We are in such bad cap hell next season and he’s a chunk of it for a few years. I also don’t know if I’d be able to stomach him rebounding somewhere else while we rebuild. That may brake me as a fan lol
In case you haven't been able to tell already I was a huge Carson fan before he even got here. Wanted him here going back to his JR year of college. I don't think I could stomach it either especially if he ends up a HOFer with multiple SBs like I said in the game thread and Jalen is just good enough we get into the playoffs but bounced out in the 1st or 2nd round routinely. Don't know if I could take that especially given how they've handled this whole situation that was easily avoidable.

The Raiders game was a windy, cold, night game at the Linc. Look at Derek Carrs stats: 50% completion percentage, 140 yards, of which 63 were on one TD pass to Cooper, plus 2 ints. Not a good night for passing. And Nick did lead the Eagles down the field to kick the go ahead FG with 22 seconds left. Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story of how someone did.
I was at that game it was the Christmas Night game. I had a very good seat as my families tickets are high and you can watch the play develop (Think of it as a press box type view) and Foles missed multiple receivers who were open that game. Carr did as well but there were plays Foles repeatedly left on the field that night. Weather shouldn't be an excuse given we have guys like Rodgers and Brady who in that same weather situation probably throw for almost 300 yds and 3-4 TDs with a high passer rater. 

It can’t possibly be any worse.
Dude is a Wentz supporter and big fan of his plus I don't know if you read my out of the box post on a new QB coach as I mentioned both Dan and McCown. I like Orlovsky a lot though and listened to a lot what he says when he does the SEC game he's doing that week. A few weeks ago he went into why teams miss on QBs saying they worry too much about talent and don't dig deep enough into the minds of these guys. Can they mentally handle the strains of NFL life, how good are they are diagnosing the plays, etc etc. It was interesting listening to this and he made a lot of sense. 

Or the want take the contract and give up the picks Value the Eagles would want back. I would think and hope they'd asked for at least a first rounder and a 3rd with other picks involved as well. Maybe 2 firsts. There's executives apparently around the league who believe Carson still has what it takes to be 2017 MVP. Either way Id rather this team get Hurts playing well enough and then sucker some team into thinking he's a future Russ Wilson and spending 1st/2nd to us for him. 
Qb factory baby!

When they showed the Ravens offense, it had all the colleges listed. Bama, Oklahoma, Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. Sometimes it's just not that hard. 

• Thanks
Reactions: Ash
When they showed the Ravens offense, it had all the colleges listed. Bama, Oklahoma, Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. Sometimes it's just not that hard. 
And its been that way for a long time. 

Kind of sad eagles haven't ever been able to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread