What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (1 Viewer)

This is the week. At least all signs point to it. Greene likely out and playing the Jags.

I'm playing him with optimism, not to be confused with confidence.
Nah, Whisenhunt will only run the ball 10 times and give 8 of them to McCluster.

Titans running back Bishop Sankey has waited patiently for his chance.

This Sunday against the Jaguars, the rookie should get plenty of work. Veteran running back Shonn Greene (hamstring) is doubtful.

Sankey, a second-round pick, said he's ready for a bigger workload along with Dexter McCluster and Leon Washington.

"I am looking forward to as many carries as they want me to have,'' Sankey said. "Depending on Shonn's situation, me, Dex and Leon are going to have to pick up some of the slack. I think we are capable of doing that, and I know everyone is excited."

Sankey has 150 yards and one touchdown on 32 carries. Last week against the Browns, he gained 27 yards on eight carries. He had his best game against the Bengals on Sept. 21, when he tallied 61 yards on 10 carries.

"I am feeling a lot more comfortable with pass protection, and really just being more confident doing my job,'' Sankey said. "I am just going out there trying to move the chains, protecting the quarterback and securing the ball. I am feeling good, though."

What are sharks projecting?

I think it ends up a competitive game and Sankey ends up with 20 touches, 85 combined yards and a TD.

McCluster has seemed to get the ball every time he enters the game.

Last week was the first time I noticed him at WR. The plan Whisenhunt spoke of and how they practiced all summer, was for McCluster to play WR and RB.

There's an interview out there where Jason Michael concedes to the obviousness but says the running game needed a spark. Last week Shonn Greene ran very well. He regularly got hit at 3 yards and used his legs to get 3 more in a classic high effort type way. I mentioned in another thread I haven't seen him do that since with the NYJ. Amidst a horrible loss, amidst a horrible decision to not run the ball like crazy and eat up the clock while averaging 5-6 ypc in the first half...few people noticed him.

Much of the talk I got behind was how they have to run the plays in season to have the film to review and discuss. Last week they finally got passing offense film to the WRs to go over. (Very few passes to the WRs the previous 3 weeks outside of the first and last four minutes)

They now have a small sample of Whisenhunt's fancy O to discuss with the players. (No I'm not pleased 5 weeks in they only have a small sample but...)

I love that Greene did that and he and Sankey are close. I have little doubt they made the rook watch over n over how Greene drove his legs and also that Sankey realized during the game that he wasn't gonna play as much as long as Greene did that. Ya just gotta like a rookie RB seeing that.

Thus far Sankey has looked special on a handful of shotgun handoffs where the D was on their heels expecting a pass. He looked excellent then. In traffic on occasion, Sankey looks good. On a run here N there, he looks good. Those shotgun handoffs were significant because he looked so good they ran it again and again til the D totally sniffed it out.

Whisenhunt/Michael have been true to their word that they'll keep going with the hot hand. What I don't like is that it's often a bit much like a zillion passes to Walker while the others are open or how about a different play to Sankey etc. Still, gotta admit he has been true and predictable there.

Back to previous, when they ran well, McCluster played WR some which was the plan all along.

I don't think there's many defenses that have a DB quick enough to cover Wright. I think there's even less that have two DBs that can cover the quickness of both Wright and McCluster. Nate being the veteran or Hunter being the deep man, either works as a third threat so getting those two on the field as the WRs is big. 28-0 big.

They have a good lunchpail hard-nosed runner in the aptly named Battle. He's under-appreciated by Whisenhunt, but yet he said he liked that one run he had this year. The defenses usually get ready for him too like here it comes. Because of this, it's totally fine if he gets 3 yards and smashes into a few defenders. It wears down the D and maybe just maybe they'll catch the D gearing up for the tough RB and have a pass wide open.

I am fearful of McCluster getting too many carries this week and wrecking this for Sankey.

It's certainly best to spell Sankey with Battle and have McCluster continue to play both WR and RB.

Their backup FB, creative play FB, is TE Taylor Thompson and it's more an H-back role. He is hurt. There could be a fear of losing Battle and having no FB but then again both Sankey and McCluster have done best thus far as the single back.

My perfect world prediction would be for them to pass early n often, and Sankey to do well the few occasions they run early. This worked too well last week for them to change. If this happens against a weak Jaguars D, then McCluster will be moved around and play WR enough that Sankey owners don't mind the occasional handoffs to McCluster.

My 2014 Titans prediction is that they come out running behind Oher who hasn't played well, but he's the veteran T now. After a few 3 n outs, they have two bad runs and a pass to Walker. Then the O becomes one run and two passes to Walker. Mix in an errant throw that's picked off to the WR. They go in at halftime, Mettenberger plays QB and look at that he actually throws to the WR and they do in fact have an offense that isn't miserably boring.

One other note-Whisenhunt has had an annoying variation of Dean Smith's don't start freshman philosophy. Don't be disheartened if Battle or McCluster get the first carry. It means nothing, fools no one, and is as pointless as can be. Sankey will come in next play if he does this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last week was the first time I noticed him at WR. The plan Whisenhunt spoke of and how they practiced all summer, was for McCluster to play WR and RB.

There's an interview out there where Jason Michael concedes to the obviousness but says the running game needed a spark. Last week Shonn Greene ran very well. He regularly got hit at 3 yards and used his legs to get 3 more in a classic high effort type way. I mentioned in another thread I haven't seen him do that since with the NYJ. Amidst a horrible loss, amidst a horrible decision to not run the ball like crazy and eat up the clock while averaging 5-6 ypc in the first half...few people noticed him.

Much of the talk I got behind was how they have to run the plays in season to have the film to review and discuss. Last week they finally got passing offense film to the WRs to go over. (Very few passes to the WRs the previous 3 weeks outside of the first and last four minutes)

They now have a small sample of Whisenhunt's fancy O to discuss with the players. (No I'm not pleased 5 weeks in they only have a small sample but...)

I love that Greene did that and he and Sankey are close. I have little doubt they made the rook watch over n over how Greene drove his legs and also that Sankey realized during the game that he wasn't gonna play as much as long as Greene did that. Ya just gotta like a rookie RB seeing that.

Thus far Sankey has looked special on a handful of shotgun handoffs where the D was on their heels expecting a pass. He looked excellent then. In traffic on occasion, Sankey looks good. On a run here N there, he looks good. Those shotgun handoffs were significant because he looked so good they ran it again and again til the D totally sniffed it out.

Whisenhunt/Michael have been true to their word that they'll keep going with the hot hand. What I don't like is that it's often a bit much like a zillion passes to Walker while the others are open or how about a different play to Sankey etc. Still, gotta admit he has been true and predictable there.

Back to previous, when they ran well, McCluster played WR some which was the plan all along.

I don't think there's many defenses that have a DB quick enough to cover Wright. I think there's even less that have two DBs that can cover the quickness of both Wright and McCluster. Nate being the veteran or Hunter being the deep man, either works as a third threat so getting those two on the field as the WRs is big. 28-0 big.

They have a good lunchpail hard-nosed runner in the aptly named Battle. He's under-appreciated by Whisenhunt, but yet he said he liked that one run he had this year. The defenses usually get ready for him too like here it comes. Because of this, it's totally fine if he gets 3 yards and smashes into a few defenders. It wears down the D and maybe just maybe they'll catch the D gearing up for the tough RB and have a pass wide open.

I am fearful of McCluster getting too many carries this week and wrecking this for Sankey.

It's certainly best to spell Sankey with Battle and have McCluster continue to play both WR and RB.

Their backup FB, creative play FB, is TE Taylor Thompson and it's more an H-back role. He is hurt. There could be a fear of losing Battle and having no FB but then again both Sankey and McCluster have done best thus far as the single back.

My perfect world prediction would be for them to pass early n often, and Sankey to do well the few occasions they run early. This worked too well last week for them to change. If this happens against a weak Jaguars D, then McCluster will be moved around and play WR enough that Sankey owners don't mind the occasional handoffs to McCluster.

My 2014 Titans prediction is that they come out running behind Oher who hasn't played well, but he's the veteran T now. After a few 3 n outs, they have two bad runs and a pass to Walker. Then the O becomes one run and two passes to Walker. Mix in an errant throw that's picked off to the WR. They go in at halftime, Mettenberger plays QB and look at that he actually throws to the WR and they do in fact have an offense that isn't miserably boring.

One other note-Whisenhunt has had an annoying variation of Dean Smith's don't start freshman philosophy. Don't be disheartened if Battle or McCluster get the first carry. It means nothing, fools no one, and is as pointless as can be. Sankey will come in next play if he does this.
nice writeup

what stats you projecting for sankey

I know coaches are stubborn and prone to perplexing decisions that otherwise seem so obvious to everyone else - see all the complaints regarding Andy Reid over the years and now this year with his erratic use of Charles, which he has now twice apologized for - but I am having a hard time thinking Whisenhunt would ignore Sankey yet again this week given the situation (losing streak, blew huge lead because they didn't run,Greene injured, Jags' poor run D, Sankey has looked good when given the chance etc). If Sankey doesn't get in the 15-20 touch range and we see a bunch of Battle and McCluster..... well...... :confused:

Arrrrhhhh.....I got burned last week and of course an even better situation presents itself this week. To get wizzed on or not to get wizzed on, that is the question.

nice writeup

what stats you projecting for sankey
I am at a point where I bang my head against a wall trying to predict the Titans. I pretty much stopped guessing. I think Whis should be fired and their DC should be interim coach because I can totally see him trying to do anything he can to adjust. He may fail, but I love this guy's effort and creativity.

They are downright explosive at WR and got to show it last week.

They have two QBs that have no nerve at all and won't throw 15 yards downfield to a WR with just a step on a DB. They have another that is fearless and foolish looking like young Favre but it's so refreshing after complete ignorance of the WRs.

YARDAGE not INTs not completion % and surely not wins-they could have a top ten offense with Mettenberger and against a bad D like the Jags, a top ten offense should have a fabulous afternoon.

Their 1960s offense that they've run most often, maybe 80-90% of 2014 has been proven to have two of the worst halves in NFL history-literal statistic not exaggerating on a MB.

You have to start Shankey in FF. If you don't, it's kind of ridiculous to have kept him this long. He'll get 20 carries for 50 yards in their 1960s offense or could have a huge day "killing" the Jags that are consumed with their WRs and Walker's ability to catch passes in traffic.

To take it a step further-

as long as there is a decent, little bit meh but got your interest type RB on the WW, I think redraft people need to commit to dropping Sankey if he doesn't produce. There's gotta be a time you let the tease go and starting against a terrible defense should be enough for you to decide.

If you're of the impression that you'll start Shankey once Mettenberger plays then fine I can roll with him sitting on someone's bench and waiting.

Ya really gotta think about Sankey before this game and what you'll do as a result. Everyone of us have had "that guy" that we always thought would produce but never did, wasting a spot on our FF roster. Ya gotta have some sort of defensive plan in your head as to how you'll correct yourself from doing that to your team again. For me, it's Sankey produces this week or he's gone. I'll try and trade the tease to someone else, but otherwise I'm dropping him and being happy I don't need any aspirin from his headache Sunday evening

To take it a step further-

as long as there is a decent, little bit meh but got your interest type RB on the WW, I think redraft people need to commit to dropping Sankey if he doesn't produce. There's gotta be a time you let the tease go and starting against a terrible defense should be enough for you to decide.

If you're of the impression that you'll start Shankey once Mettenberger plays then fine I can roll with him sitting on someone's bench and waiting.

Ya really gotta think about Sankey before this game and what you'll do as a result. Everyone of us have had "that guy" that we always thought would produce but never did, wasting a spot on our FF roster. Ya gotta have some sort of defensive plan in your head as to how you'll correct yourself from doing that to your team again. For me, it's Sankey produces this week or he's gone. I'll try and trade the tease to someone else, but otherwise I'm dropping him and being happy I don't need any aspirin from his headache Sunday evening
I haven't started him yet. But I will this week if he sucks or is underutilized I cut him!

~ 20 touches maybe for Sankey vs Jax ??? One time!

Shonn Greene (hamstring) was downgraded to "DNP" on Thursday, and is "uncertain" for Week 6.

It's sounding like Greene will be unavailable against the Jaguars, leaving rookie Bishop Sankey as the Titans' lead back. That's not for certain, however. The Titans adore their plodding "lead" back, and could give him the green light for Week 6 if he looks good on Friday. Sankey owners need to sit tight, but remain cautiously optimistic
"Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!" -George W. Bush
:tfp:

I'm not going to proclaim him all pro or anything but I think the guys who dropped him will end up regretting it.

Looked pretty good out there imo. Had a -5 the last 2 carries when the Titans were trying to just run the clock. Before that he was 16 for 66.

Looked pretty good out there imo. Had a -5 the last 2 carries when the Titans were trying to just run the clock. Before that he was 16 for 66.
As the feature back. With Greene out injured. Against the Jags.

How much better are we expecting this to get? That was almost certainly the best situation he's going to have all year and as others have said, we got 'meh'.

How much better are we expecting this to get? That was almost certainly the best situation he's going to have all year and as others have said, we got 'meh'.
They weren't exactly respecting the ability of Charlie Whitehurst out there. First half dozen carries it was like a defensive jailbreak.

They weren't exactly respecting the ability of Charlie Whitehurst out there. First half dozen carries it was like a defensive jailbreak.
I agree...

Only been a few guys that have generated as much venom as this kid for no real reason. Everyone feels they need to be right. He has 50 carries for 4.2 ypc on the season. He's had a half dozen 10 yard plus runs. He has too many negative runs for my liking but he does have some big play ability. He's not a plodder and the offense isn't doing him any favors. He gets stuffed for 30-40% of his carries. He's looked decent, not fantastic but certainly not bad enough to be the butt of jokes.

Rotoworld:

Bishop Sankey rushed 18 times for 61 yards and caught a seven-yard pass in the Titans' Week 6 win over Jacksonville.

Sankey got the start with Shonn Greene (hamstring) inactive, but mixed and matched with Dexter McCluster (8 touches) and to a lesser extent Leon Washington (2 touches). After managing 12 yards on his initial seven carries, Sankey was vultured at the one-yard line by FB Jackie Battle. Sitting at 18 yards on nine carries early in the third quarter, Sankey finally got some room and ripped off a 22-yard gain to finish with a respectable day. Sankey will remain a dicey flex option in Week 7 against the run-tough Redskins defense.

Oct 12 - 4:35 PM

Dynasty hold, re-draft keep looking. Right now he's good for nothing more than a RB4. The Titans suck. Whisenhunt doesn't completely trust him, and whoever is back there running the ball is going to have tough sledding because the QB is so awful.

Outscored by McCluster.

3.4 ypc.

Nearly outscored by the immortal Battle.

Maybe the Titans will get blown out next week so he can feast on prevent D's while running the ball in the 3rd and 4th quarters. :thumbup:

How did Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy look in their rookie seasons?
You're comparing Sankey's talent and ability to Rice & McCoy?

Wow.
Actually. I think he's comparing their rookie production, not their talent.
Even if it is talent, what's the problem? Those guys weren't first round picks either -- people just jump the gun too quickly on things. One player has instant success and now they all have to or they immediately suck.

Buy low.

You're comparing Sankey's talent and ability to Rice & McCoy?Wow.
Then why throw their names out there unless one is expecting a similar increase to being a stud RB in the very near future? He used them to emphasize his point rather than potentially selecting others more suitable for comparison.

And with Rice and McCoy, they both showed signs that they could be exceptional RBs in their first year even though they weren't productive. McCoy was also sitting behind Westbrook his rookie year, and Rice was behind McGahee as well as McClain who ran well for short stretches.

Sankey hasn't been able to overtake Greene, whom I am assuming most will agree doesn't quite have the talent and ability of a Westbrook or McGahee, even though he is a dependable and solid RB. He just got a chance to be the bell cow yesterday in a very advantageous matchup and still didn't show anything close to special. He has shown us he can bust off a few good plays when the team is in a passing situation, but other than that he has been what the scouting reports and game film said he was - which isn't a bell cow RB, much less a stud.

Then why throw their names out there unless one is expecting a similar increase to being a stud RB in the very near future? He used them to emphasize his point rather than potentially selecting others more suitable for comparison.

And with Rice and McCoy, they both showed signs that they could be exceptional RBs in their first year even though they weren't productive. McCoy was also sitting behind Westbrook his rookie year, and Rice was behind McGahee as well as McClain who ran well for short stretches.

Sankey hasn't been able to overtake Greene, whom I am assuming most will agree doesn't quite have the talent and ability of a Westbrook or McGahee, even though he is a dependable and solid RB. He just got a chance to be the bell cow yesterday in a very advantageous matchup and still didn't show anything close to special. He has shown us he can bust off a few good plays when the team is in a passing situation, but other than that he has been what the scouting reports and game film said he was - which isn't a bell cow RB, much less a stud.
I don't know how advantageous it was with Whitehurst at the helm. You act like he was running for the Cowboys. Jags sold out for the run for the entire 1st half. He ran for a 5 ypc clip for most of the day. Call me crazy but i don't count his last 2 carries in the stat line so he finished the day over 4 ypc in my mind. He's over 4 ypc for the year on an awful team. Guy has some big play potential, he's ripped off atleast a half dozen 10 yard plus runs in limited carries. Way too early to call him anything but he hasn't done a bad job at all thus far. People act like he looks like Trent Richardson out there just cause they desperately want to be right.

This is the first time Sankey got the start. He did fine. Seriously, it's getting so that anytime a guy doesn't have 100 yards and a TD his career is over...

Then why throw their names out there unless one is expecting a similar increase to being a stud RB in the very near future? He used them to emphasize his point rather than potentially selecting others more suitable for comparison.And with Rice and McCoy, they both showed signs that they could be exceptional RBs in their first year even though they weren't productive. McCoy was also sitting behind Westbrook his rookie year, and Rice was behind McGahee as well as McClain who ran well for short stretches.

I don't know how advantageous it was with Whitehurst at the helm. You act like he was running for the Cowboys. Jags sold out for the run for the entire 1st half. He ran for a 5 ypc clip for most of the day. Call me crazy but i don't count his last 2 carries in the stat line so he finished the day over 4 ypc in my mind. He's over 4 ypc for the year on an awful team. Guy has some big play potential, he's ripped off atleast a half dozen 10 yard plus runs in limited carries. Way too early to call him anything but he hasn't done a bad job at all thus far. People act like he looks like Trent Richardson out there just cause they desperately want to be right.
I think people may be down on him because of how his proponents sold him. Using McCoy, Rice, and Emmitt Smith as points of comparison come with expectations of performance that we haven't seen. Calling out several staff members for not agreeing that he is a stud or relentless selling of him as a bonafide stud when there are clear flaws in his running style and ability simply make some people more adversarial when it doesn't happen.

I know when I start a stud that he'll get his regardless of whether a D knows what is coming - especially a suspect D. He may not perform to his usual standard but he'll put up decent production. You can make all the excuses you want for Sankey yesterday, but at the end of the day you can't say that he's any more effective than Shonn Greene. That's about where his bar ought to be set right now IMO.

Maybe in the future he'll get to be the quality RB2 that I projected for him before the season started. But this guy ain't a stud, and he doesn't have enough game to be a RB1, nor will he ever IMO.

Who was trumping him as an all pro except for Brewtown? He's a good back but he was still a late 2nd round pick. He may have ran against a suspect D but he also runs for a suspect team. What back taken in the first 3 rounds is doing any better? For some strange reason Sankey draws venom. He started off 4-2 yesterday and there were immediately several posts mocking him. He then proceeded to go 12-64. I guess its the Brewtown factor, people hate that guy.

Then why throw their names out there unless one is expecting a similar increase to being a stud RB in the very near future?

Because they, like Sankey, were rookie RBs who didn't start right away, gain 1000 yards as a rookie, etc?

And with Rice and McCoy, they both showed signs that they could be exceptional RBs in their first year even though they weren't productive.

Rice had 140 touches his rookie year, ran for a 4.2 YPC, had 727 YFS and didn't score a TD.

McCoy had 195 touches his rookie year, ran for a 4.1 YPC, had 945 YFS and scored 4 TDs.

Sankey is on pace for 145 touches, has a 4.2 YPC, is on pace for 667 YFS and is on pace for 3 TDs. This is assuming that Sankey doesn't start to get more touches. While McCoy's usage was pretty steady his rookie year, 64% of Rice's touches came in the 2nd half of his rookie season. If you are arguing that Rice/McCoy showed signs of being exceptional RBs in their first year, you kind of have to apply the same argument to Sankey, as their production is pretty similar to his.

McCoy was also sitting behind Westbrook his rookie year, and Rice was behind McGahee as well as McClain who ran well for short stretches.

Westbrook was 30 years old in McCoy's rookie year, and was coming off a season where he had the worst YPC of his career. He was on the downside of his career, and would never again break 500 YFS in a season. McGahee was only 27 in Rice's rookie year, but he was hurt and ineffective that year. He only started 8 games, and had a YPC under 4. Save for one last decent season in Denver, he would never again be a great RB (although he would be a GL vulture for 1 more season in Baltimore). As you mentioned, rather than go to the rookie Rice, the Ravens chose to let a FB carry the load over Rice.

Sankey hasn't been able to overtake Greene, whom I am assuming most will agree doesn't quite have the talent and ability of a Westbrook or McGahee, even though he is a dependable and solid RB.

Actually, when you ignore the names, and look at the production. Greene in 2014 compared to Westbrook in 2009 or McGahee in 2008 is pretty comparable. None of them are/did show much as a RB, but they kept the rookie RBs from getting a lot of work because NFL coaches tend to favor veterans over rookies (especially when it comes to protecting the QB). He just got a chance to be the bell cow yesterday in a very advantageous matchup and still didn't show anything close to special. He has shown us he can bust off a few good plays when the team is in a passing situation, but other than that he has been what the scouting reports and game film said he was - which isn't a bell cow RB, much less a stud.

Rice had 2 games as a rookie with over 15 carries. One he gained 64 yards, the other he gained 154. McCoy had 3 games with over 15 carries as a rookie. He gained 76, 84, & 99 yards in those 3 games. Of those 5 games where Rice/McCoy "got a chance to be the bell cow," only 1 came in the first half of the season, and it was Rice's 64 yard game.

It's too early to tell what Sankey will become, but you are looking BACK at Rice and McCoy, and you are letting what they did after their rookie year cloud your memory of how they performed as a rookie, because Sankey's rookie campaign thus far is pretty comparable to Rice and McCoy's.

Users who are viewing this thread