What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Boardwalk Empire thread (2 Viewers)

And William Forsythe is a really cool addition as the Philly Jewish mobster/butcher. At least I think the character was Jewish. I really couldn't tell.
:lmao: And Mickey's nervous giggle freaks me the #### out! I don't think you'd want him near an elementary school.
I was thinking that they didn't even really need to show his face when he giggled at the butcher shop. In the background would have been even more effective.

'Officer Pete Malloy said:
'boubucarow said:
'boubucarow said:
Chalky White at the dinner table was interesting if not a little confusing. I'm sure we'll get more on this whole thing later.
What confused you?
Why he's called "Chalky" when he's actually rather dark.Maybe "confusing" was the wrong word. I should have said "unexpected". At least he hadn't done anything before the dinner that would lead us to expect he would get all crunk and insulting.
I forget the order of the events. Did Nucky already call him a boy? If so, pretty easy to understand how he was so angry his wife thought serving what he wanted was beneath their guest.
Yeah, I think so. I understood his anger but it seemed like he sat down already drunk and pissed like he had made up his mind to be a jerk. :shrug:
I took it as he was upset after that meeting at the church and then he goes to Nucky and gets treated like a servant or worse in his mind. I don't think he decided to a jerk. He had a horrible day and getting drunk only worsened his mood.

'boubucarow said:
'boubucarow said:
Chalky White at the dinner table was interesting if not a little confusing. I'm sure we'll get more on this whole thing later.
What confused you?
Why he's called "Chalky" when he's actually rather dark.Maybe "confusing" was the wrong word. I should have said "unexpected". At least he hadn't done anything before the dinner that would lead us to expect he would get all crunk and insulting.
I forget the order of the events. Did Nucky already call him a boy? If so, pretty easy to understand how he was so angry his wife thought serving what he wanted was beneath their guest.
Yeah, I think so. I understood his anger but it seemed like he sat down already drunk and pissed like he had made up his mind to be a jerk. :shrug:
I took it as he was upset after that meeting at the church and then he goes to Nucky and gets treated like a servant or worse in his mind. I don't think he decided to a jerk. He had a horrible day and getting drunk only worsened his mood.
Uh, huh. That was the day he came to the realization he was merely Nucky's "boy."

So what's about to happen in Philly?

We know Nucky is sending his booze to be processed there, with the help of AR and Lucky and Lansky.

Any Jimmy also told Richard they were going to Philly the next day?

'boubucarow said:
'boubucarow said:
What confused you?
Uh, huh. That was the day he came to the realization he was merely Nucky's "boy."
:goodposting:

So what's about to happen in Philly?We know Nucky is sending his booze to be processed there, with the help of AR and Lucky and Lansky.Any Jimmy also told Richard they were going to Philly the next day?
Sounds like war in Philly with Nucky and AR selling through Waxy Gordon and Jimmy and friends selling to his rival Manny Horvitz.

So what's about to happen in Philly?We know Nucky is sending his booze to be processed there, with the help of AR and Lucky and Lansky.Any Jimmy also told Richard they were going to Philly the next day?
I was under the impression that the booze Jimmy promised the Jew in Philly was blown up. Will be interesting to see how the money up front deal Jimmy made with the Jew turns out. I have a feeling the guy with no sense of humor we were introduced to in the butcher shop will be coming after Jimmy & Co. pretty soon.

I was under the impression that the booze Jimmy promised the Jew in Philly was blown up. Will be interesting to see how the money up front deal Jimmy made with the Jew turns out. I have a feeling the guy with no sense of humor we were introduced to in the butcher shop will be coming after Jimmy & Co. pretty soon.
Oh yea, forgot the supply was destroyed in the bomb hit. Horvitz isn't going to be happy that his rival Waxy is getting supplied while he's left empty.

Oh yea, forgot the supply was destroyed in the bomb hit. Horvitz isn't going to be happy that his rival Waxy is getting supplied while he's left empty.
This also strengthens my thought here a few weeks ago that AR would ultimately be involved in driving Jimmy back to Nucky. Seems like in this case Jimmy may be forced to go to Nucky hand in hat for help....we know Eli isn't going to be any.

I think both the crux of season two and the reason as to why Nucky will win was summed up by Capone's response to Nucky in regards to alcohol competitors in Chicago "we kill them". This show is as much about Prohibition as it is about the change in organized crime in the country; from the good old boy, political criminals represented by The Commodore to the Mafia. Nucky's going to win, (besides the fact that if they are going to maintain a semblance of historical accuracy he has to win) because he's going to do what the Commodore doesn't understand the rules have changed.
This was an excellent observation. I wanted to share it with Mrs. Dogg. But I think it's so dead-on, I treated it like a spoiler and kept quiet.

Well, the Commodore's attempt at regaining control didn't last too long. A little disappointed, I thought that was going to e an awesome storyline with the struggle for power with Nucky.
I don't mind Jimmy taking over. But the Commodore was far too good a character to be emasculated so early. I hope he comes back soon.

Michael Stuhlbarg (Rothstein) could do a laxative commercial while wearing a big turd costume and still carry the scene.
Yep. He was such a schlub in the Coens' "A Serious Man," it makes his performance even seem stronger.
And William Forsythe is a really cool addition as the Philly Jewish mobster/butcher. At least I think the character was Jewish. I really couldn't tell.
What, the Yiddish didn't give it away? ;)

Great episode all the way around.

The Richard Harrow character is getting even more compelling and captivating.

Gillian slapping the crap out of Lionel Richie was disturbing and yet pretty damn awesome.

Michael Stuhlbarg (Rothstein) could do a laxative commercial while wearing a big turd costume and still carry the scene.

Hell if they spun off a show with just Harrow I'd watch it. Just a fantastic charachter. I feel so bad for the guy l want him to fall in lovewith a hot wife and have 10 kids and 100 puppy dogs. But at the same time every timje a fight breaks out I want him to break out a shotgun and blow someones head clean off. He can play his good side and bad side equaly well.

Great episode all the way around.

The Richard Harrow character is getting even more compelling and captivating.

Gillian slapping the crap out of Lionel Richie was disturbing and yet pretty damn awesome.

Hell if they spun off a show with just Harrow I'd watch it. Just a fantastic charachter. I feel so bad for the guy l want him to fall in lovewith a hot wife and have 10 kids and 100 puppy dogs. But at the same time every timje a fight breaks out I want him to break out a shotgun and blow someones head clean off. He can play his good side and bad side equaly well.
Same here. Though I have a bad feeling he wont be around much longer. They've been building him into a tragic figure this season. Now that we see his pain and feel for him I think they kill him off.I hope I'm wrong

Well, the Commodore's attempt at regaining control didn't last too long. A little disappointed, I thought that was going to e an awesome storyline with the struggle for power with Nucky.
I don't mind Jimmy taking over. But the Commodore was far too good a character to be emasculated so early. I hope he comes back soon.
I think Jimmy was the stronger character by far. The Commodore seemed intimidated by Nucky even when he knew he had the upper hand. Jimmy seems confident standing up to Nucky, even if he has doubts about where his loyalty should lie.

I think Jimmy was the stronger character by far. The Commodore seemed intimidated by Nucky even when he knew he had the upper hand. Jimmy seems confident standing up to Nucky, even if he has doubts about where his loyalty should lie.
There's no need for the Commodore to stick around. As someone said earlier, he represents the past. His function was to give Jimmy the ability to break away from Nucky. He served his purpose. The story going forward is how the Nucky/Jimmy relationship is resolved.

Yep. He was such a schlub in the Coens' "A Serious Man," it makes his performance even seem stronger.
What, the Yiddish didn't give it away? ;)
His performance was about only part of A Serious Man that I enjoyed.Sometimes I get all ferdrayt and everything's all fercockt.

There's no need for the Commodore to stick around. As someone said earlier, he represents the past. His function was to give Jimmy the ability to break away from Nucky. He served his purpose. The story going forward is how the Nucky/Jimmy relationship is resolved.
:goodposting: I feel we've seen the last of the Commodore. The final part of his downfall (and demonstration of his now complete lack of power, physical or otherwise) is him helpless and terrified in a bed being beat to #### by a woman.Not to mention that the previews for next week look to have scenes of an apparent funeral . . .

Most underrated movie of at least the past decade. Easily the best Coen Bros film since Lebowski. I feel a tremendous amount of pity for those who weren't in on the joke.

Most underrated movie of at least the past decade. Easily the best Coen Bros film since Lebowski. I feel a tremendous amount of pity for those who weren't in on the joke.
:lmao: Come on. That movie never went any where and didn't do much along the way either.
Sorry it went over your head. I'll let you know when the next Rambo movie comes out. :thumbup:

Jimmy is the best character on the show. So I think many characters pale in comparison. I'm not saying the Commodore's as good as Jimmy. I'm saying he's a compelling character and I want to see more.

Good movie, although I liked it more the first time than the second. Second time around, that brother character nauseated me.

:lmao: Come on. That movie never went any where and didn't do much along the way either.
Sorry it went over your head. I'll let you know when the next Rambo movie comes out. :thumbup:
I don't like French movies either.

Richard = FurioJimmy's wife = Carmela
No way. Even if Jimmy's wife threw herself at Richard, which I can't see happening, I don't think Richard would respond in kind. He likes her but it doesn't seem at all sexual. Jimmy's wife is emotionally stifled and sees Richard as a possible means of release, and Richard is emotionally shut down and sees Jimmy's wife as a possible means of awakening.Every scene Richard is in, even when he's just standing outside with a shotgun not doing anything, is awesome. If he gets killed off I might be so pissed I'd stop watching.

Richard = FurioJimmy's wife = Carmela
Please no! I was just telling my wife how Furio was becoming my favorite character before he got all sissy'd up by Carm. I need Harrow to remain a bad-### killer. Love the depth of his character, but he better not get all lovey-dovey.

'meatwad1 said:
The scalping of the old man was off the rails sick!!!
That was a quality kill right there. :thumbup: When Richard had the shotgun in his mouth, I was picturing Tanner screaming "NO... NO... NOOOOO!" at the TV. :lol:

"Would you fight for me?" -Richard

"Of course I would. Right down to the last bullet." -Jimmy

Among the large and colorful cast of characters on display in "Boardwalk Empire," why are so many of us drawn to Richard Harrow? He didn't turn up until the second half of the first season, appears irregularly even now that Jack Huston is a full-time castmember, and isn't as central to the action as Nucky, Jimmy and Margaret. Is it the eery, lifelike mask that does it? Is it how much Huston is able to say even with half his face hidden and his voice a monotone croak? Is it easier to pity the monster than to feel empathy for the slick politician-cum-gangster or the handsome, charismatic soldier? (*)

(*) Not that we don't feel empathy for either Nucky or Jimmy. We do, and we appreciate the performances by Buscemi and Pitt. I've just found it to be a fairly common phenomenon that "Boardwalk Empire" fans seem to light up when Richard's name is mentioned.

Or is it, simply, that as much as Huston is able to convey with his great performance, and as often as Richard tries to tell a Jimmy or an Angela what's going on inside his head, neither they nor we ever feel like we really know him, or can? Is it just the mystery of who and what Richard Harrow has become that's so damn compelling?

I don't know how much is Huston, how much is the mask, etc., but I know that my engagement level on "Boardwalk" goes up several notches whenever Richard's around - and that it's no coincidence that this relatively Richard-heavy episode is the strongest of season 2 to date, even as it has lots of great material involving the central trio and Eli.

Why does Richard decide that today is a good day to die? We don't entirely know. He had that apparent breakthrough with Angela last week, but that may have just made things worse, either by reminding him of the disconnect he feels with his sister or because he now has a connection with the wife of the best friend he idolizes. It may just be that he woke up today feeling more despair, and more envy for the kinds of normal people he keeps in his scrapbook, than the day before. Or it may be the Memorial Day holiday raising his general levels of anxiety and self-loathing. Whatever his motivation, he heads into the woods, and is only saved from himself by a stray dog and a pair of friendly, wise hobos who have an idea what a man with a face like that might be doing alone in these woods with a shotgun. Their words are enough to talk him off the ledge for the day, and his visit to Jimmy's house reminds him of the one human connection in his life that seems unbreakable. And for the man in the tin mask, that's enough for today. That Richard can only feel fully human in the company of a man who continually asks him to participate in monstrous acts of violence - this week, it's the perverse scalping of the elderly *****-fighter who made the mistake of striking Jimmy - doesn't speak well to his overall condition, but it's what he needs right now, and the way the character has been crafted by Huston and the writers and directors (in this case, Howard Korder and Tim Van Patten), it's strangely, sadly pleasing to see him buck up and look forward to going to work with Jimmy. (The scene quoted above features tremendous work from both Huston and Pitt.)

Richard doesn't get an escape from his troubles, and neither does Eli. Where Jimmy's in too deep with this war, even after the Commodore's stroke, Eli thinks he has blood on his side and can get back in with Nucky. And where this would probably be a smart play for Nucky - even after he appears to have outwitted the Commodore's plan to put him away for election fraud - Nucky reveals himself to be more than a calculator with legs, and violently refuses Eli's apology. That fight is a tremendous scene, not because of any fancy choreography - Nucky's not a fighter by nature and overestimates his ability to stand toe-to-toe with his cop kid brother - but because of the rage emanating from both men (and so well played by Buscemi and Shea Wigham) and then the terror on Margaret's face when she uses Nucky's (unloaded) shotgun to break up the ruckus. When Margaret asks Nucky after the fact, "Is this to be our life?," she seems to be speaking for all the characters on "Boardwalk Empire" whose current circumstances aren't what they signed up for.

So Nucky denies Eli a life raft from the sinking of the S.S. Commodore, and Eli responds by getting drunk and then inadvertently killing fellow turncoat George by hitting him too hard in the windpipe. And his solution to this unexpected mess is to make it even messier: to bash George's face in until he's so unrecognizable that his equally-crooked deputy won't even think twice about helping him move the body.

Jimmy, on the other hand, isn't trying to escape the path he's on. The Commodore may be incapacitated, but Jimmy set out on a course and he's going to stay with it, especially with his mother Lady MacBeth'ing him all the way along. Scalping cranky Mr. Parkhurst for a slightly rougher-than-normal 1921 equivalent of "Get off my lawn!" is just as foolish a business decision as Nucky trying to beat up Eli rather than taking him back - Jimmy needs backers, after all, especially since the old men are skeptical of him without the Commodore - but he's prideful enough on his own, and he has Gillian to appeal to his worst instincts.

On the other hand, he has the advantage of being continually underestimated. Parkhurst sure doesn't expect retribution for trying to put a young punk in his place, and Nucky doesn't expect Jimmy to be able to speak eloquently to the Memorial Day crowd when put on the spot. He may be down a few key allies, but when he's focused, and has Richard Harrow by his side, he can get an awful lot done.

Some other thoughts:

• For those wondering about the title, Webster defines gimcrack as "a showy object of little use or value" (i.e., Parkhurst's trophies of his younger days) and bunkum as "insincere and foolish talk" (much of what's said by Eli, Nucky, Daugherty and pretty much every male character other than Richard and his new hobo friends). They are also both awesome-sounding words that I wish were still in the vernacular. (Also, certain listings services are for some reason calling the episode "Gershwin & Bunkum," but HBO tells me "Gimcrack" it is.)

• I don't want to know how production made all those skinned squirrel carcasses, but they looked very real and very gross.

• Whatever Margaret's feelings for Owen Sleater may be, she's going to have to get in line behind Katy, who's having a fine old time with Nucky's new henchman. And Margaret clearly doesn't like what she's hearing.

• It's hard out here for a pimp: I love Nucky's displeasure at having to entertain his various allies as they roll in and out of Atlantic City.

I thought for sure that those hobos were going to rob Richard.

I feel like Nucky is going to take his brother back in. They needed that fight. Nucky is going to see that the US Attorney can't come through for him, so he gets the names of the witnesses and drops them in the ocean.

Fun fact: The actor that played Scalpy McCaneface and Michael Pitt both had small roles in Finding Forrester.

I don't remember if anybody was scalped though.

A few weeks back I was thinking Boardwalk was very good but not special. But that episode reached Breaking Bad/Wire/MadMen/Sopranos territory.

'meatwad1 said:
That was a quality kill right there. :thumbup: When Richard had the shotgun in his mouth, I was picturing Tanner screaming "NO... NO... NOOOOO!" at the TV. :lol:
:lmao: Not too far off.I told my wife "THEY CAN'T KILL HARROW! DON'T DO IT!"
When the gun first went into his mouth, I thought there was no way he would do it. Then, the camera panned away and I was sure the next thing we'd hear was the gunshot. Old cinematic technique. But it was a helluva pump fake! Still don't know why a barking dog would stop him from pulling the trigger, however.On a side note, WHERE the hell have I seen the actor with the gray hair (I forget if he is a mayor or something, but he obviously holds a lofty position) who told Nucky that he enjoys having the time to golf? It's driving me crazy... can't figure out where I've seen him.

'meatwad1 said:
When the gun first went into his mouth, I thought there was no way he would do it. Then, the camera panned away and I was sure the next thing we'd hear was the gunshot. Old cinematic technique. But it was a helluva pump fake! Still don't know why a barking dog would stop him from pulling the trigger, however.On a side note, WHERE the hell have I seen the actor with the gray hair (I forget if he is a mayor or something, but he obviously holds a lofty position) who told Nucky that he enjoys having the time to golf? It's driving me crazy... can't figure out where I've seen him.
The Attorney General is Shooter Mcgavin.

^^^ Ahhh, of course. Thanks!

EDIT: Just figured out where I've seen him more recently. He played Christufa's AA sponsor on The Sopranos. The "Stage 5" episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
'meatwad1 said:
Christopher McDonald? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001520/Speaking of golf...he was Shooter MacGavin in Happy Gilmore.

ETA: Scooped

is Jimmy really that loyal to Harrow, or is he just using him? I can't decide... part of me thinks a showdown is inevitable.

Awesome episode last night. I was wondering how long it would take Eli to come crawling back to Nucky, it was a lot sooner than I thought. Great scene between those two with Nucky basically tell him to go #### himself. Eli's going to have to come up with some big time help for his big bro to get back into good graces again. Another nice storyline developing there.

I didn't think Richard would pull the trigger, they've gone to great lengths to develop his charachter, even moreso last night, I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon. Interesting question about Jimmy's loyalty, but I think he was genuine when he said "to the last bullet". Jimmy knows he's in deep now with the Commodore being down and out, he needs as many close allies as he can get, and he doesn't have many. To alienate Richard would be a critical mistake.

Good points being made about the AG not being able to get Nucky off, I would like to see him dispose of his witnesses, especially since Eli can give them up.

Intense scene with Eli killing George in his shed/garage. Question though, when the deputy came over to help him with the body, Eli told him he killed Mary someone. Who's name was that and why didn't he tell him it was George?

Seeing the previews for next week, it looks like the Philly war is on with someone hanging upside down in Manny's meat locker, and also looks like plenty of gunfire erupting with Lucky and Myra being involved. This #### is getting REAL good.

Intense scene with Eli killing George in his shed/garage. Question though, when the deputy came over to help him with the body, Eli told him he killed Mary someone. Who's name was that and why didn't he tell him it was George?
He said Mary Pickford, a movie star from back then. He was being sarcastic (and stealing a classic line from The Brain.)

Users who are viewing this thread