What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dallas Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Gil Brandt thinks the Cowboys could re-sign Flozell (for a lot less money of course)
Just saw that....I wouldn't be thrilled. Flozell's not awful and if he's the best we can find for the money, so be it. Still, he's past his prime and there should be better options out there for us.

Gil Brandt thinks the Cowboys could re-sign Flozell (for a lot less money of course)
Just saw that....I wouldn't be thrilled. Flozell's not awful and if he's the best we can find for the money, so be it. Still, he's past his prime and there should be better options out there for us.
Well, observing the mirror image of what many folks said here when he was cut - that's going to cost you about 25 false starts next season.

Is Flozell going to be happy being a back up? Cant see him starting over Free at his age...I heard Romo talking about losing Flozell and he didnt sound that happy about it.

Maybe they will bring Flozell and Hamlin back on the cheap...even though I would like to see Free and Ball get a shot to be the starters.

Just traded up to get an ILB-Sean Lee. Solid pick. Heavy price it looks initially to move up 4 spots. A fourth....hopefully we got a fifth back.

Just traded up to get an ILB-Sean Lee. Solid pick. Heavy price it looks initially to move up 4 spots. A fourth....hopefully we got a fifth back.
Hmm. Doesn't look like it.

Matt Mayock says he is the toughest player he has ever met and says he has the ability to be an immediate starter.

Edited to change: Matt Mayock said that he is one of the toughest kids he has ever met. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I support the Lee pick. I know we needed safety and O'line help but if it's not there, don't draft it just to say you didn't ignore it. We'll take good football players all day long.

Trade some of those players listed in above posts for other players already in the NFL if need be but don't waste draft picks if you feel you like a player and you're up to pick. The Cowboys haven't had great linebackers in years, I hope we get an impact player here.

I support the Lee pick. I know we needed safety and O'line help but if it's not there, don't draft it just to say you didn't ignore it. We'll take good football players all day long.

Trade some of those players listed in above posts for other players already in the NFL if need be but don't waste draft picks if you feel you like a player and you're up to pick. The Cowboys haven't had great linebackers in years, I hope we get an impact player here.
:wall: Agreed

I can only assume DAL felt Lee would go before they drafted and he was a guy they were targeting to replace Brooking. He looks the part and he seems to be a smart guy making reads during the play. I'm not sure what else we can expect for the rest of our picks. Anyone?

I think this is a clear sign that Carpenter is out the door either in the draft or for a player or picks after the draft.

The moved ahead because they thought NE would take him. And the Pats did take Spikes, so maybe Jerry was on to something...

This likely tells us what the coaching staff think of Jason Williams. Lee was NOT on my radar for us but about watching and reading about him, it looks to be a good pick. 38th on Goose's rankings in the 50s is VALUE and at a need position.

I am hopeful we take a run at an Otogwe or Sharper at FS. Ball is OK and I know the coaches like Hamlin....but geez.

This likely tells us what the coaching staff think of Jason Williams. Lee was NOT on my radar for us but about watching and reading about him, it looks to be a good pick. 38th on Goose's rankings in the 50s is VALUE and at a need position.I am hopeful we take a run at an Otogwe or Sharper at FS. Ball is OK and I know the coaches like Hamlin....but geez.
Agree on all counts.

This likely tells us what the coaching staff think of Jason Williams. Lee was NOT on my radar for us but about watching and reading about him, it looks to be a good pick. 38th on Goose's rankings in the 50s is VALUE and at a need position.I am hopeful we take a run at an Otogwe or Sharper at FS. Ball is OK and I know the coaches like Hamlin....but geez.
Agree on all counts.
:sarcasm: Although we need to keep in mind that Bradie James turned 29 this year and while it would be nice for him to retire as a Cowboy, we have to think that the Salary cap will be coming back next year.Jason Williams was brought in to play a different style than he did in college and he came from a smaller school so we can expect him to take a couple of years to be ready. Heck Bradie James didn't earn a full time starting job until his 3rd year. Sean Lee on the other hand, is a guy who can step in right away. I loved reading how he was kept on Penn State's active game roster and traveled with the team as an extra coach for the Linebackers when he was undergoing his injury red shirt year. This guy will probably be the future leader of our defense.

The Cowboys were the only team across the league to not sign a free agent this offseason.It's all about the upcoming draft, as I stated a few months ago.
Gee. Maybe we can have a repeat of last year's stellar draft. We could trade down, down, down...accumulate a ton of special teams players. That would be awesome.
I too would be VERY disapointed if we do not come out of this draft with an immediate impact player (at least 1). I would like us to use our picks to trade up on 1 or 2 picks.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I like Ball and Mike Hamlin better than anyone who is left. I think we need DEPTH at OT not an immediate impact guy.

I like the move but it did confuse me a little. Looks like the kid is a helluva player and has a good motor on him.

So who's next on our radar with the 4th round pick?
Any chance Bruce Campbell keeps falling?
I hope they get this guy, Bruce Campbel, that would be a great pick at this point
No way we get him unless we move up, right? We are some 21 picks away from our spot. Besides, in order to move up now we would have to cough up earlier round picks next year. Does anyone know what rounds we have picks in next year?

So who's next on our radar with the 4th round pick?
Any chance Bruce Campbell keeps falling?
I hope they get this guy, Bruce Campbel, that would be a great pick at this point
Guys, he is a physical specimen, but people that watch him pretty much are unanimous that he's not that talented a tackle. I get the sense that he's beyond "project" status and has been deemed by some (according to Gil Brandt today on NFLN Radio) as perhaps being uncoachable.I'd like to look in a different direction, I guess.

The Cowboys were the only team across the league to not sign a free agent this offseason.It's all about the upcoming draft, as I stated a few months ago.
Gee. Maybe we can have a repeat of last year's stellar draft. We could trade down, down, down...accumulate a ton of special teams players. That would be awesome.
I too would be VERY disapointed if we do not come out of this draft with an immediate impact player (at least 1). I would like us to use our picks to trade up on 1 or 2 picks.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
No freaking doubt. I've been beaming all day about #88. Cowboys played this just perfectly. (And got a bit lucky Denver is guided, in part, by a twit who took Thomas over Dez)

There is talk about Flo re-signing and also talks between Dallas and NO for OT- Jamaal Brown. It's going to be an interesting next day and few months to follow.

I'm happy with it. If value is there they should trade Barber to a team like Seattle to move up if anyone warrants it otherwise stand pat and just be deep at all skill positions. They could still use another NT, DE, S, CB, or OT but at this point in the draft you go PBA unless it's close. JJ has done a good job so far of sticking with PBA *and* trading up to get PBA at positions of need at value.

There is talk about Flo re-signing and also talks between Dallas and NO for OT- Jamaal Brown. It's going to be an interesting next day and few months to follow.
I'd like to hear more on either of these fronts.
Me too. Can someone tell me about our second pick? I was thinking that we would take a O-lineman or a DB. Was this a good pick for us?
Scroll down and read the Analysis section:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...tTrackerTable55

Me too. Can someone tell me about our second pick? I was thinking that we would take a O-lineman or a DB. Was this a good pick for us?
Scroll down and read the Analysis section:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...tTrackerTable55
Thanks for the info! Do you think this was a solid pick up for us?

Thanks for the info! Do you think this was a solid pick up for us?
He looks the part. Smart ILBs who stay in position make it difficult for opposing teams to work underneath routes and run delays out of the backfield. Lee is a guy that will sniff that stuff out and pepper the ball-carrier/receiver. At least that's my perception.

Looks like we're laying low this off-season. Hopefully we strike gold in the draft.
I keep hearing Dez to the Cowboys if he's available. I know we have other needs but please don't shoot the mail man.
:thumbup:
Did you just give yourself a high-five?

:thumbup:

Well played sir.

On Sean Lee

"Tackling: One of Lee's greatest assets. Fundamentally sound wrap-up tackler who could provide the animated examples for hit-lift-drive. Plays on the balls of his feet and has the body control to break down in space and tackle smaller, shiftier ballcarriers. Long arms and accurate hands to trip up the ballcarrier. Could develop more explosiveness as a hitter. Reliable open-field tackler, but not an intimidator."

We have had some sloppy tackling in the past, heck it seems like half the NFL defenses have forgotten how to tackle, so this is a nice plus and with his leadership and coaching abilities he will probably help the whole defense in the area.

I found this article on Sean Lee that was written before the draft.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2010...ft_sleeper.html

Penn State's Sean Lee could be draft sleeper

By Keith Pompey

Inquirer Staff Writer

Never mind that Penn State's Sean Lee has a history of knee injuries.

Disregard the fact that he's not as stout as some other linebacker prospects in this week's NFL draft.

Some believe the 6-foot-2 236-pounder still has a bright NFL future.

"Sean Lee, a little bit, reminds me of myself," former New England Patriots Pro Bowl linebacker Tedy Bruschi said on ESPN's NFL Live. "Not the biggest, strongest or fastest . . . but he's got the instincts. He finds the ball. And he knows how to play football. I like that kid."

So does NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock.

Mayock ranks Lee as the second-best inside linebacker prospect in the draft behind Alabama's Rolando McClain.

"It wouldn't surprise me if one of those really good teams that made it to the playoffs last year, between 25 and 32, that don't have a lot of needs but they just want a good, solid football player, I wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in late in the first round," Mayock said during a conference call in February.

If Lee doesn't go in the first round, Mayock thought he could go in the first half of the second round.

"If his knees check out, he's too good a player to last much beyond No. 40 in the draft," Mayock said.

That's because when he's healthy and on the field, no one can question his abilities. Lee almost always finds a way to be near the play and bring down a ballcarrier.

"I think my knees are fine," Lee recently told the Harrisburg Patriot-News. "I feel great. My weight is good, and I think I'm stronger and faster since I left Penn State."

But injuries prevented him from playing to his potential in State College.

In 2007, Lee recorded 138 tackles en route to earning all-Big Ten honors. He was also named the 2007 Alamo Bowl defensive MVP.

Lee, however, missed the following campaign after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the spring of 2008.

As a fifth-year senior in the 2009 season, Lee missed three games with a sprained left knee. He ended up with 86 tackles, 47 of which were solo stops.

NFL teams appear to be impressed with his attitude, character, and ability. At the very least, they've shown an interest in him.

He reportedly had meetings and/or workouts with the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons, and Indianapolis Colts.

The 2010 SB Nation NFL Mock Draft has the Cardinals selecting him in the second round with the 58th overall pick.

ESPN football analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Rams drafting Lee in the third round with the 65th pick.

But with concerns about his durability, some mock drafts have him slipping to later rounds. The SportsAgentBlog.com, for instance, has the Eagles selecting Lee with the 105th pick in the fourth round.

Michael Lombardi, a frequent contributor to the NFL Network, isn't concerned about Lee's injuries.

A respected NFL mind, Lombardi headed the personnel departments of the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders. He also worked with the Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, and Denver Broncos.

"I really believe his best football is going to be ahead of him . . .," Lombardi said of Lee on Path to the Draft. "He's a very instinctive linebacker. He can play outside or inside. He's playing inside right now.

"But I also think he's got a unique ability to make plays."

I have learned that the team trying to trade up for Lee was SF. Mike Singletary called the Cowboys after to congratulate them. He went on to call the best ILB prospect in the last 3 years since Patrick Willis. Gotta like that feedback.

I have learned that the team trying to trade up for Lee was SF. Mike Singletary called the Cowboys after to congratulate them. He went on to call the best ILB prospect in the last 3 years since Patrick Willis. Gotta like that feedback.
WOW! I hope that Singletary is right about that one.

On another note it looks like Patrick Crayton agrees that he is probably the odd man out when it comes to Dallas adding Dez Bryant.

"It didn't take long before the dominoes began to fall following the Cowboys decision to draft receiver Dez Bryant with the 24th overall pick in Thursday's NFL Draft.

Receiver Patrick Crayton has been given permission to seek a trade, according to his agent Fred Lyles.

"Crayton is not upset," Lyles said. "He is looking forward to opportunities that await for him in the future whether its in Dallas or somewhere else."

Bryant is expected to be one of the team's top three receivers and also return kicks and punts, which makes Crayton's future unclear with the team.

Crayton has been the team's third receiver and primary punt returner. He is scheduled to make $2 million next season. That might be a little rich for a fourth receiver who does not return or cover kicks."

Read more: http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowb...l#ixzz0m1RUDXW8

IRVING, Texas - Following the Cowboys' selection of wide receiver Dez Bryant with their first-round pick on Thursday, wide receivers Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd have asked to be traded.

A FOXSports.com report Friday said the Cowboys have also called other teams in an attempt to trade defensive end Marcus Spears and linebacker Bobby Carpenter. After Friday's second and third rounds were completed, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed the two receivers were on the block.

"Those would be probably bottom half of today and third-day picks," Jones said. "We'd be looking for some threes there. From about 8 o'clock (Friday) night down."

With the selection of Bryant, only the second receiver the Cowboys have chosen in the first round during the Jones era, the writing was on the wall for two players who came to the team with much less fanfare. Crayton was a seventh-round pick in 2004 from tiny Northwest Oklahoma State, while Northern Illinois' Hurd came in as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Crayton rose from promising sleeper to trusted No. 2 receiver, all the while giving the team value as a punt returner. In six seasons with the Cowboys he has 196 catches for 2,888 yards with 23 touchdowns, returning two punts for scores in 2009. Hurd has 31 catches in four seasons, but has been one of the team's most consistent special teams players.

Jones said he was willing to honor their wishes for a trade, but didn't guarantee a move would be made.

"Both of those receivers I have such respect for," Jones said. "And I know what they've given to our team and what they may give to the team in the future. I respect their sensitivity and I understand that. We all, I think, should understand when Dez Bryant enters the scene that that's competition."

"Redshirt" Players Minimize Needs

While the Cowboys have yet to address two of their most widely recognized draft needs, offensive line and safety, Wade Phillips and Jerry Jones suggested on Friday the team's returning 2009 rookies have some consideration.

Last year's third-round offensive lineman Robert Brewster missed the entire season with a torn pectoral muscle, and sixth-round safety Mike Hamlin was kept off the field for most of the year by a broken wrist. The Cowboys also have fourth-round outside linebacker Brandon Williams and sixth-round inside linebacker Stephen Hodge recovering from knee injuries.

"You can almost count them as draft choices this year," Phillips said to help justify the team's best-player-available approach thus far. Though the players have little or no experience on the field at the NFL level, Phillips said a year of being around the team and learning the system puts them a little ahead of the average rookie.

"They've been here," Phillips said. "Brandon Williams knows the defense, Brewster knows the offensive calls and all those things that involve the rookies early on. . . . (Hamlin) did a good job in preseason and unfortunately got hurt and couldn't use but one hand. But he did practice. He got a lot stronger, too."

Though they are ineligible for next weekend's rookie mini-camp, Brewster, Hamlin and Williams will all participate in summer OTA practices. The Cowboys are still waiting for Hodge to completely heal from the more serious microfracture knee surgery.

IRVING, Texas - Following the Cowboys' selection of wide receiver Dez Bryant with their first-round pick on Thursday, wide receivers Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd have asked to be traded.A FOXSports.com report Friday said the Cowboys have also called other teams in an attempt to trade defensive end Marcus Spears and linebacker Bobby Carpenter. After Friday's second and third rounds were completed, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed the two receivers were on the block."Those would be probably bottom half of today and third-day picks," Jones said. "We'd be looking for some threes there. From about 8 o'clock (Friday) night down."With the selection of Bryant, only the second receiver the Cowboys have chosen in the first round during the Jones era, the writing was on the wall for two players who came to the team with much less fanfare. Crayton was a seventh-round pick in 2004 from tiny Northwest Oklahoma State, while Northern Illinois' Hurd came in as an undrafted free agent in 2006.Crayton rose from promising sleeper to trusted No. 2 receiver, all the while giving the team value as a punt returner. In six seasons with the Cowboys he has 196 catches for 2,888 yards with 23 touchdowns, returning two punts for scores in 2009. Hurd has 31 catches in four seasons, but has been one of the team's most consistent special teams players.Jones said he was willing to honor their wishes for a trade, but didn't guarantee a move would be made."Both of those receivers I have such respect for," Jones said. "And I know what they've given to our team and what they may give to the team in the future. I respect their sensitivity and I understand that. We all, I think, should understand when Dez Bryant enters the scene that that's competition.""Redshirt" Players Minimize NeedsWhile the Cowboys have yet to address two of their most widely recognized draft needs, offensive line and safety, Wade Phillips and Jerry Jones suggested on Friday the team's returning 2009 rookies have some consideration.Last year's third-round offensive lineman Robert Brewster missed the entire season with a torn pectoral muscle, and sixth-round safety Mike Hamlin was kept off the field for most of the year by a broken wrist. The Cowboys also have fourth-round outside linebacker Brandon Williams and sixth-round inside linebacker Stephen Hodge recovering from knee injuries."You can almost count them as draft choices this year," Phillips said to help justify the team's best-player-available approach thus far. Though the players have little or no experience on the field at the NFL level, Phillips said a year of being around the team and learning the system puts them a little ahead of the average rookie."They've been here," Phillips said. "Brandon Williams knows the defense, Brewster knows the offensive calls and all those things that involve the rookies early on. . . . (Hamlin) did a good job in preseason and unfortunately got hurt and couldn't use but one hand. But he did practice. He got a lot stronger, too."Though they are ineligible for next weekend's rookie mini-camp, Brewster, Hamlin and Williams will all participate in summer OTA practices. The Cowboys are still waiting for Hodge to completely heal from the more serious microfracture knee surgery.
Nice article, thanks.

Obviously, there is a very good chance the Cowboys start to move some of these players mentioned today.

The most likely targeted spots for Crayton or Hurd is the Chiefs, being that HC Todd Haley was once their position coach in Dallas.

For Marcus Spears and possibly Bobby Carpenter, it would be Miami.

ETA: I'm plugged in today. I'll try to keep you posted.

The Cowboys had DE Cory Wootten high on their board today. He just went to Chicago at #109.

The Cowboys come around at #119.

Gosselin just pointed out that the board has a wealth of TEs. That's probably obvious.

He also points out that FB John Connor (Kentucky) is not only the best blocking back left on the board but the only FB left on the board. Says he initially had him going in the 5th but with the way things are falling and so much reaching taking place he could see him going later here in the 4th.

Not necessarily Dallas related.

Users who are viewing this thread