What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dallas Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Routilla said:
Does Dez become the #2 behind Miles? If so does this mean Roy or Crayton are expendable? What would the cap implications be? Andy, anybody?
Jerry needed good reason to justify moving Roy Williams from his roster position while saving as much face as he possibly could. He just now drafted that reason.Crayton is signed to a very accommodating contract that allows him to continue to produce at the slot position at a very affordable price given his reliablilty and productivity. Crayton and Romo have far more chemistry than RW and Romo could ever hope for. The coaches know this too. Crayton also has far more roster value than RW could ever hope for with his punt return capabilities.

Call me a homer, but Crayton is one of the best WR3s in the league. You can't count how many times he's gotten us out of a 3rd and long situation over his career. He gets open and makes plays at the most opportune times. And he can run after the catch. With Roy, you just hope he catches the ball. There's no comparison especially when you consider the contracts.
First. I like Crayton but he doesn't even have half of Roy William's ability and potential.

Second. That affodable salary and ability at special teams is going to make him an attractive trade nugget.

Third. Dez Bryant is an exceptional punt returner and would take Crayton's spot even if he stays on the team.

Anyone else notice that we picked Dez Bryant with Philly's original #24 pick? First Anthony Spencer and now Bryant. Nice.

Thank you Eagles!

Its Roy who walks, not Crayton.

Roy showed ZERO chemistry with Romo. Crayton made many, many 3rd down catches. Romo knows where Crayton will be and trusts him. He gets the job done. At a fraction of the price of Roy.

Roy had some of the worst metrics of any starting receiver in the NFL last year. He just got replaced by a guy with top-5 in the draft talent. Roy's absurd contract goes bye-bye in this uncapped year. Jerry eats his mistake.

Now welcome to the WR core Jerry thought he was getting with TO and Roy. Two big, physical receivers who abuse small CBs. Interchangeable guys who can attack all the parts of the field.

Its Roy who walks, not Crayton.Roy showed ZERO chemistry with Romo. Crayton made many, many 3rd down catches. Romo knows where Crayton will be and trusts him. He gets the job done. At a fraction of the price of Roy. Roy had some of the worst metrics of any starting receiver in the NFL last year. He just got replaced by a guy with top-5 in the draft talent. Roy's absurd contract goes bye-bye in this uncapped year. Jerry eats his mistake. Now welcome to the WR core Jerry thought he was getting with TO and Roy. Two big, physical receivers who abuse small CBs. Interchangeable guys who can attack all the parts of the field.
I bet Witten is happy with this pick.

That Roy Williams deal still eats at me. A freaken 1st and 3rd, that's a killer.

Oh well, I hope this WR works out. Personally I like Patrick Crayton, I think he's a good player to have on the team.

Roy Williams, what a waste for the Cowboys.

Routilla said:
Does Dez become the #2 behind Miles? If so does this mean Roy or Crayton are expendable? What would the cap implications be? Andy, anybody?
Jerry needed good reason to justify moving Roy Williams from his roster position while saving as much face as he possibly could. He just now drafted that reason.Crayton is signed to a very accommodating contract that allows him to continue to produce at the slot position at a very affordable price given his reliablilty and productivity. Crayton and Romo have far more chemistry than RW and Romo could ever hope for. The coaches know this too. Crayton also has far more roster value than RW could ever hope for with his punt return capabilities.

Call me a homer, but Crayton is one of the best WR3s in the league. You can't count how many times he's gotten us out of a 3rd and long situation over his career. He gets open and makes plays at the most opportune times. And he can run after the catch. With Roy, you just hope he catches the ball. There's no comparison especially when you consider the contracts.
First. I like Crayton but he doesn't even have half of Roy William's ability and potential.

Second. That affodable salary and ability at special teams is going to make him an attractive trade nugget.

Third. Dez Bryant is an exceptional punt returner and would take Crayton's spot even if he stays on the team.
Whoa. On the first- potential? Potential is in the past. These players are who they are.

Second- The fact that Crayton is a more attractive trade nugget obviously makes him more valuable, and at a lesser price.

Third- You don't put too much too soon on any rookie. See Reggie Bush. Learn one thing, perfect it, then move to the next.

Sure, the Cowboys could decide to move Crayton, but they'd better be damn sure that somebody can fill his shoes in all aspects of his game. Roy doesn't have any skins on the wall in that regard. Crayton does.

ETA: Put it this way. 3rd and 8 at midfield down by 4 with less than 2 minutes on the clock against the Eagles or Giants.

Who do you go to? Crayton or Williams?

I'm going to Crayton every time. You?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its Roy who walks, not Crayton.Roy showed ZERO chemistry with Romo. Crayton made many, many 3rd down catches. Romo knows where Crayton will be and trusts him. He gets the job done. At a fraction of the price of Roy. Roy had some of the worst metrics of any starting receiver in the NFL last year. He just got replaced by a guy with top-5 in the draft talent. Roy's absurd contract goes bye-bye in this uncapped year. Jerry eats his mistake. Now welcome to the WR core Jerry thought he was getting with TO and Roy. Two big, physical receivers who abuse small CBs. Interchangeable guys who can attack all the parts of the field.
Jerry Jones just responded in his press conference that they would not be moving Roy. Take it for what it's worth.

That Roy Williams deal still eats at me. A freaken 1st and 3rd, that's a killer.Oh well, I hope this WR works out. Personally I like Patrick Crayton, I think he's a good player to have on the team. Roy Williams, what a waste for the Cowboys.
Funny. You were ready to give up a 1st, 3rd and a 4th for Dez Bryant and he hasn't played a down of NFL ball. Just saying.I wouldn't write off Roy just yet. Given another offseason and a little more motivation and I expect Roy to develop some chemistry.

That Roy Williams deal still eats at me. A freaken 1st and 3rd, that's a killer.Oh well, I hope this WR works out. Personally I like Patrick Crayton, I think he's a good player to have on the team. Roy Williams, what a waste for the Cowboys.
Funny. You were ready to give up a 1st, 3rd and a 4th for Dez Bryant and he hasn't played a down of NFL ball. Just saying.I wouldn't write off Roy just yet. Given another offseason and a little more motivation and I expect Roy to develop some chemistry.
I didn't even want them to draft a WR bro, you have me mistaken for someone else.

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
culdeus said:
damn, gave a 3rd to get a 4th in that deal. That's a fairly high price, no?
I don't think so Culdeus, I think it's about right. We were in a pickle, Baltimore was going to take him, do you let a guy who they never graded higher in the history of the team pass you up because you're afraid to give up a 3rd to a 4th?I commend them for getting the deal done. I'm skeptical because I'm not a big fan of drafting a WR in the first round but I will say they went after their guy.
Sounds like I have the right person.

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :shrug:

Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :shrug: Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.
Is this sarcasm or are you actually posting something positive about the Cowboys? Here's to hoping it's the latter. :wall:

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :shrug: Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.
Is this sarcasm or are you actually posting something positive about the Cowboys? Here's to hoping it's the latter. :wall:
What are you talking about? You still bitter about me talking trash (rightfully so) about the Cowboys 2009 draft? Geezus. This was a phenomenal selection. Last year's draft was a disaster. Not sure what you're disputing here.

Im not that pleased with this pick but...they didnt give up the farm to get him and EVERY scout who is anyone had this guy as a top 5 pick going into last season. Had he been able to finish the season at OK state, he would have been a top five pick without question. Teaming him up with Austin and Witten is going to be a nightmare to defend. I bet Romo is a happy man tonight.

I am disappointed about not getting Earl Thomas but I guess I am in the minority that likes Ball and Sensabaugh back there at Safety and I want to see what another year will do for Ball. He has a ton of potential and I think he was better than Hamlin last year. I also like Watkins and Mike Hamlin. Im glad we didnt trade the whole draft away for Thomas. Now we can get some O-line depth and maybe even...gulp...a Kicker???

I totally disagree with getting rid of Crayton. I think he is the most under appreciated guy on the team. He ALWAYS makes catches when we need him and he always makes plays.

Roy Williams is a heartless bum. Cut your losses and dump this guy and I would bet MONEY he will never be heard from in the league again.

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :confused: Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.
Is this sarcasm or are you actually posting something positive about the Cowboys? Here's to hoping it's the latter. :suds:
What are you talking about? You still bitter about me talking trash (rightfully so) about the Cowboys 2009 draft? Geezus. This was a phenomenal selection. Last year's draft was a disaster. Not sure what you're disputing here.
You were right about last year, I admit it. They should have traded down for more picks this year. I didn't like the McGee pick in the 3rd at the time and I pretty much hate it now.

Im not that pleased with this pick but...they didnt give up the farm to get him and EVERY scout who is anyone had this guy as a top 5 pick going into last season. Had he been able to finish the season at OK state, he would have been a top five pick without question. Teaming him up with Austin and Witten is going to be a nightmare to defend. I bet Romo is a happy man tonight.I am disappointed about not getting Earl Thomas but I guess I am in the minority that likes Ball and Sensabaugh back there at Safety and I want to see what another year will do for Ball. He has a ton of potential and I think he was better than Hamlin last year. I also like Watkins and Mike Hamlin. Im glad we didnt trade the whole draft away for Thomas. Now we can get some O-line depth and maybe even...gulp...a Kicker???
I don't understand any of this. You're not pleased with this pick, but you recognize that we gave up virtually nothing for the best WR talent and a top-5 talent in this year's draft?You are disappointed in not getting Thomas, while knowing that we would have had to given up the fort to get him, which is exactly what you wouldn't have wanted us to do?Forest through the trees, my friend. This is a coup that we got Dez. [/story]

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :confused: Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.
Is this sarcasm or are you actually posting something positive about the Cowboys? Here's to hoping it's the latter. :suds:
You were right about last year, I admit it. They should have traded down for more picks this year. I didn't like the McGee pick in the 3rd at the time and I pretty much hate it now.
Thing is, Dez comes in to make an immediate impact this year, and...has the talent to be the next Andre Johnson for years and years to come. It's Christmas Day, boys. Fantastic evening. We got lucky.

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :kicksrock: Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.
Is this sarcasm or are you actually posting something positive about the Cowboys? Here's to hoping it's the latter. :thumbup:
Thing is, Dez comes in to make an immediate impact this year, and...has the talent to be the next Andre Johnson for years and years to come. It's Christmas Day, boys. Fantastic evening. We got lucky.
:popcorn: For once we are are in agreement Cobalt. Getting Dez is a dream come true and a nightmare for the rest of the NFC East

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :kicksrock: Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.
Is this sarcasm or are you actually posting something positive about the Cowboys? Here's to hoping it's the latter. :popcorn:
Agreed. Miles and Dez at WR 1-2, Ogletree/Crayton in the slot or Witten/Bennett in the 2TE set. Sprinkle in Felix/Choice/MBIII at RB. If the OL holds up, Romo should be able to guide us to at least 24 points per game. If the DEF can maintain what they did most of the year or even improve we should be in good shape.

I tell you. I just finished listening to Dez Bryant on his phone interview and he sounded completely different than he did at his pro-day.

Man we got a steal. I am so pumped that I might not be able to sleep tonight.

I tell you. I just finished listening to Dez Bryant on his phone interview and he sounded completely different than he did at his pro-day. Man we got a steal. I am so pumped that I might not be able to sleep tonight.
So true. Thing is, with him slipping as far as he did, we actually benefit even more. He's motivated. So incredulous about the bad rap he's gotten. And, I don't doubt that he comes with some baggage. But, stuff like this has a way of pushing guys more than had he been selected 10th overall (which is where he belonged from a talent perspective). Can't sleep, either. So thrilled that it worked out this way, and we really had to give up nothing to leapfrog BAL and AZ (who undoubtedly would have gone this route) to get him.

I went from nearly puking when PHI moved up to 13(assumed they were getting Earl) to getting hammered when we moved up a few spots to grab a stud WR in Dez. I'm sure PHI fans were chapped they didn't get Earl and then they were puking when we drafted Dez. That's gotta sting a little.

Livin' in Dallas is freakin awesome tonight.

Hit the gym shortly after the pick and was the first to break the news to the guys there...everyone was high-fiving and whoopin and hollering, what a great pick.

I am really excited for this offense. Could be the highest scoring in the NFL with relative ease if we get some nice OLineman somewhere along the way.

Im not that pleased with this pick but...they didnt give up the farm to get him and EVERY scout who is anyone had this guy as a top 5 pick going into last season. Had he been able to finish the season at OK state, he would have been a top five pick without question. Teaming him up with Austin and Witten is going to be a nightmare to defend. I bet Romo is a happy man tonight.I am disappointed about not getting Earl Thomas but I guess I am in the minority that likes Ball and Sensabaugh back there at Safety and I want to see what another year will do for Ball. He has a ton of potential and I think he was better than Hamlin last year. I also like Watkins and Mike Hamlin. Im glad we didnt trade the whole draft away for Thomas. Now we can get some O-line depth and maybe even...gulp...a Kicker???I totally disagree with getting rid of Crayton. I think he is the most under appreciated guy on the team. He ALWAYS makes catches when we need him and he always makes plays. Roy Williams is a heartless bum. Cut your losses and dump this guy and I would bet MONEY he will never be heard from in the league again.
I like Crayton but I remember some pretty big drops.

I tell you. I just finished listening to Dez Bryant on his phone interview and he sounded completely different than he did at his pro-day.

Man we got a steal. I am so pumped that I might not be able to sleep tonight.
So true. Thing is, with him slipping as far as he did, we actually benefit even more. He's motivated. So incredulous about the bad rap he's gotten. And, I don't doubt that he comes with some baggage. But, stuff like this has a way of pushing guys more than had he been selected 10th overall (which is where he belonged from a talent perspective). Can't sleep, either. So thrilled that it worked out this way, and we really had to give up nothing to leapfrog BAL and AZ (who undoubtedly would have gone this route) to get him.
I knew he wouldn't make it past those two teams. I leaned up in my chair when I saw the Star replace the NE helmet on the tracker. I have to give JJ credit for this move, solid. It puts the rest of the division on their heels at least a little bit I think.

Im not that pleased with this pick but...they didnt give up the farm to get him and EVERY scout who is anyone had this guy as a top 5 pick going into last season. Had he been able to finish the season at OK state, he would have been a top five pick without question. Teaming him up with Austin and Witten is going to be a nightmare to defend. I bet Romo is a happy man tonight.I am disappointed about not getting Earl Thomas but I guess I am in the minority that likes Ball and Sensabaugh back there at Safety and I want to see what another year will do for Ball. He has a ton of potential and I think he was better than Hamlin last year. I also like Watkins and Mike Hamlin. Im glad we didnt trade the whole draft away for Thomas. Now we can get some O-line depth and maybe even...gulp...a Kicker???
I don't understand any of this. You're not pleased with this pick, but you recognize that we gave up virtually nothing for the best WR talent and a top-5 talent in this year's draft?You are disappointed in not getting Thomas, while knowing that we would have had to given up the fort to get him, which is exactly what you wouldn't have wanted us to do?Forest through the trees, my friend. This is a coup that we got Dez. [/story]
What I meant was even though I really wanted Thomas, I am glad we didn't trade away the whole draft to move up. I didnt think we needed a WR in the first place, let alone a 1st round draft pick WR, but that being said, the value was phenomenal and we didn't have to trade far to get him. It also worries me a little that all I am hearing is how Deion and Irvin have "taken him under their wing." What?? Really?? Isnt Deion the main reason this guy wasnt a top ten draft pick? Do we really want Irvin taking anyone under his wing? The guy has been caught with a crack pipe and hookers and make Big Ben look like an angel.

I guess I am just taking the wait and see approach on this pick. I really want to be excited about this guy but he really worries me a little.

What I meant was even though I really wanted Thomas, I am glad we didn't trade away the whole draft to move up. I didnt think we needed a WR in the first place, let alone a 1st round draft pick WR, but that being said, the value was phenomenal and we didn't have to trade far to get him. It also worries me a little that all I am hearing is how Deion and Irvin have "taken him under their wing." What?? Really?? Isnt Deion the main reason this guy wasnt a top ten draft pick? Do we really want Irvin taking anyone under his wing? The guy has been caught with a crack pipe and hookers and make Big Ben look like an angel.
It was all a ploy. Primetime took him out of his senior year so that he would drop on boards and DAL could swoop in and get him on the cheap. I'm almost sure of it. :lmao:

I don't disagree with any of this. Even though safety is not a place I'd typically target in the middle of the first, I think Thomas is the best safety to come out of the draft in years. But, the price to move up was too much, plain and simple...even for him. Not a fan of Deion and Irvin as Bryant's advisers, either. I just want Dez to get out on the field and play like the badass he is. We're going to have to deal with Dez being what he is. But, so long as he is more Deion and less TO in the idiosyncratic mold, I'm fine with that. Deion was a diva, but he was a monster out there.

I guess I am just taking the wait and see approach on this pick. I really want to be excited about this guy but he really worries me a little.
He's given you every reason to raise the caution flag(s). But...it's so rare to get a talent like him this late in the first, I think he's worth the risk. I'm hoping all the negative attention is used as motivation to prove his detractors wrong. My feeling is there was no one at 27 left to give us the immediate impact--and long-term ceiling--like Dez Bryant. So, I applaud the aggressiveness in going after him.We'll see how it works out soon enough. But, i really think this was a steal.

Here's where we currently stand moving into today.

Round 2, Pick 27 (59)

Round 4, Pick 21 (119) (From Patriots)

Round 4, Pick 27 (125)

Round 6, Pick 27 (196)

Round 7, Pick 27 (234)

I think they target S Nate Allen next, though it may take some more maneuvering.

Wanted to post in here earlier, but was on the phone with Cowboy buddies. It's unanimous, this is a monumental selection for the Cowboys. Bryant + Austin = :) Unreal. Did not expect him to slip this far. Thanks Belichick.
i was shocked he slipped that far. nice pick for the Boys :)

It still kills me that people have so little understanding of Roy's contract to think that he can just be cut with no consequences. It's the same problem the Rangers have with Ron. Why pay a guy big bucks to surf porn at his house? Harms no one to keep the guy around.

It still kills me that people have so little understanding of Roy's contract to think that he can just be cut with no consequences. It's the same problem the Rangers have with Ron. Why pay a guy big bucks to surf porn at his house? Harms no one to keep the guy around.
The guaranteed portions of Roy's contract are a sunk cost. They get paid regardless. By cutting him this year, we remove the substantial non-guaranteed money. There is major savings for JJ personally and for the cap in future years (assuming there is one). This year is the chance to get out from under bad contracts. Its why you saw Flo and Hamlin let go.Dez gives Dallas another shot at the WR combo Jerry's been dreaming about for years. Two big physical guys who majorly threaten a defense and create mis-matches. Guys who command double teams, thereby opening things up for running and the TEs. Its what he was dreaming of when he traded for Roy to pair with TO. Now it hopefully becomes Austin and Dez.

The guaranteed portions of Roy's contract are a sunk cost. They get paid regardless. By cutting him this year, we remove the substantial non-guaranteed money. There is major savings for JJ personally and for the cap in future years (assuming there is one). This year is the chance to get out from under bad contracts. Its why you saw Flo and Hamlin let go.
Would you mind locating the dollar value of this "non-guaranteed" money that is remaining. Thanks.

Williams' contract, per Rotoworld

10/19/2008: Signed a six-year, $54 million contract. The deal contains $26.6085 million guaranteed, including a $10 million option bonus in the second year and $2 million of Williams' 2010 base salary. 2010: $3,452,629 (+ $9.5 million guaranteed option bonus), 2011: $5,109,971, 2012: $6.802 million, 2013: $8.498 million (Voidable Years), 2014: $9 million, 2015: Free Agent

Williams' contract, per Rotoworld10/19/2008: Signed a six-year, $54 million contract. The deal contains $26.6085 million guaranteed, including a $10 million option bonus in the second year and $2 million of Williams' 2010 base salary. 2010: $3,452,629 (+ $9.5 million guaranteed option bonus), 2011: $5,109,971, 2012: $6.802 million, 2013: $8.498 million (Voidable Years), 2014: $9 million, 2015: Free Agent
The way I've read, and have always read this is the only thing they would save by cutting him is the 8.5 in 2013 and 9MM in 2014. He's already been paid all the other option bonuses. The last one was paid March 1st 2010. There's not one dime left of non-guaranteed cash coming prior to 2013 unless I've been wrong this entire time. He's not going anywhere. There are no cap advantages of any kind to cutting him in this season. Future seasons are undetermined The only WR that stands to get cut is Crayton. Maybe trade him for a 6th rounder or something.

Williams' contract, per Rotoworld10/19/2008: Signed a six-year, $54 million contract. The deal contains $26.6085 million guaranteed, including a $10 million option bonus in the second year and $2 million of Williams' 2010 base salary. 2010: $3,452,629 (+ $9.5 million guaranteed option bonus), 2011: $5,109,971, 2012: $6.802 million, 2013: $8.498 million (Voidable Years), 2014: $9 million, 2015: Free Agent
Ugh. Smells like residual bad karma steaming off the Herschel Walker trade. Time to cut bait.

The way I've read, and have always read this is the only thing they would save by cutting him is the 8.5 in 2013 and 9MM in 2014. He's already been paid all the other option bonuses. The last one was paid March 1st 2010. There's not one dime left of non-guaranteed cash coming prior to 2013 unless I've been wrong this entire time. He's not going anywhere. There are no cap advantages of any kind to cutting him in this season. Future seasons are undetermined The only WR that stands to get cut is Crayton. Maybe trade him for a 6th rounder or something.
What he said. :moneybag: Considering that the ink is still wet on the check for $9.5million, Jerry will not be moving him. He just got through eating TO's Bonus after just one season and this one was paid at the end of the season I believe.

Nate Allen makes the most sense if they stay put. Mayo is still there so that's one more guy to push Allen down the board.

Users who are viewing this thread