What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Dexter Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Just started this show on Netflix (they have seasons 1-4). Plowed through the first 10 episodes of Season 1 in the past 3-4 nights. Pretty damn solid show already. :thumbup:

Just started this show on Netflix (they have seasons 1-4). Plowed through the first 10 episodes of Season 1 in the past 3-4 nights. Pretty damn solid show already. :thumbup:
Seasons 1-4 are all you need. (probably only season 1 & 2 really)

Gotcha... what goes wrong?

Storyline goes from quasi-believable into absurd fantasyland ala Sons of Anarchy?

or
Storyline gets bogged down in mundane subplots and stalls miserably ala Walking Dead

I'd go ahead and keep watching beyond that, especially if you don't have other shows to jump right into. Just lower your expectations significantly. It's still an easy watch on a cold weekend if you aren't watching college/NFL nonstop.

Storyline goes from quasi-believable into absurd fantasyland ala Sons of Anarchy?

or

Storyline gets bogged down in mundane subplots and stalls miserably ala Walking Dead
The last few seasons of Dexter make Sons of Anarchy's last few seasons look like a realistic drama that belongs on HBO or AMC.

or

My folks have watched every season. I usually bring them DVDs for Xmas. I told them I won't bring them this last season. That'll be my Christmas gift to them.

FreeBaGeL said:
[icon] said:

or

The last few seasons of Dexter make Sons of Anarchy's last few seasons look like a realistic drama that belongs on HBO or AMC documentary.
It gets very repetitive. Every season has the same basic story. A few of the characters change, and it all becomes less unstupid.

Except for the final season, it's still watchable. The final season is a disaster.

I just finished season four and I like the show. Hammered out all four seasons in about 2 weeks. Seasons 2 and 4 are definitely the best. The end of season 4 was particularly gut wrenching.

First 4 seasons are great, and season 4 is fantastic. I liked 5, even if it wasn't as good as 4. 6 and 7 have their moments, and 8 is the worst thing in history.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
I sleep all night and I work all day

He's a lumberjack and he's okay
He sleeps all night and he works all day

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea

He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatory
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea

(He's a lumberjack and he's okay)
(He sleeps all night and he works all day)

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wildflowers
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars

He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps
He likes to press wildflowers
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars?

(He's a lumberjack and he's okay)
(He sleeps all night and he works all day)

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspenders and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa

He cuts down trees, he wears high heels
Suspenders and a bra?

Plowed through much of this show over the holiday weekend and this past weekend (ice storm left us hanging at the house most of the weekend). Currently about to wrap up Season 5 (2 episodes left...will watch tonight). Gotta say I'm loving it so far and 5 has been pretty entertaining. Big Julia Stiles fan so that's been a welcome introduction. Solid actress and easy on the eyes. Intrigued as to how they settle the jordan chase / dirty cop storyline over the next two episodes.

About to borrow BluRay copies of season 6 and 7 from a buddy. 1-4 were on netflix. Have been watching 5 on CouchTuner ChromeCasted to the Plasma with great results. 6-8 are there too but figured if we had access to the BluRay we might as well watch those instead.

:popcorn:

Plowed through much of this show over the holiday weekend and this past weekend (ice storm left us hanging at the house most of the weekend). Currently about to wrap up Season 5 (2 episodes left...will watch tonight). Gotta say I'm loving it so far and 5 has been pretty entertaining. Big Julia Stiles fan so that's been a welcome introduction. Solid actress and easy on the eyes. Intrigued as to how they settle the jordan chase / dirty cop storyline over the next two episodes.

About to borrow BluRay copies of season 6 and 7 from a buddy. 1-4 were on netflix. Have been watching 5 on CouchTuner ChromeCasted to the Plasma with great results. 6-8 are there too but figured if we had access to the BluRay we might as well watch those instead.

It's all downhill from here

It's all downhill from here
Poor guy...can't even see the cliff ahead.

Capped season 5... Decent finish.... Starting season 6 and awaiting the cliff... :unsure:
It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion after repeatedly warning the conductor to switch tracks.

I don't blame you for finishing the run though. After investing that much, I was committed to the end.

If you want to stick with it through seasons six and seven, I don't blame you. But there will come a time during season eight when you think to yourself, "This is getting really stupid. But I feel like maybe I need to keep watching just in case it starts to become less stupid again."

You shouldn't. It won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capped season 5... Decent finish.... Starting season 6 and awaiting the cliff... :unsure:
It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion after repeatedly warning the conductor to switch tracks.

I don't blame you for finishing the run though. After investing that much, I was committed to the end.
We all couldn't stop either...

It's like your friend telling you that your new girlfriend is no good for you...you won't listen...

I'd go ahead and keep watching beyond that, especially if you don't have other shows to jump right into. Just lower your expectations significantly. It's still an easy watch on a cold weekend if you aren't watching college/NFL nonstop.
This is my reco - lower the expectations after season 4, but 5-7 were all pretty decent. I actually liked the character Lumen (Julia Styles) and Yvonne Strahovski is always nice to watch (Sarah from Chuck) - I was pretty disappointed with season 8 though, and there were definitely low points in each of the seasons 5-7. The writing did go downhill, but it went from a must watch to a "binge-watch while doing something else" show and I still enjoyed most of it.

Tough crowd. Lowering expectations after season 4 is good advice though. Seasons 5-7 are certainly watchable, some parts better than others. Heading into the final season, the potential was probably still there to end great, some will say to salvage the series...but that didn't happen. Still a series I'd recommend.

Didn't have Showtime for Season 8, so I've avoided this thread. Bought the DVD and just finished the series last night. Really wished I had read the thread in advance and avoided it entirely, although I probably would have still had to see it run it's course.

[deleted thoughts about the ending - decided it just isn't worth the effort]

My thoughts on Dexter through emoticons:

Seasons 1-2 :tebow: Doakes

Season 3 :hifive: Skinner/Prado

Season 4 :thanks: Trinity for Rita

Season 5 :tinfoilhat: Lumen? WTF?

Season 6 :fro: Brotha Sam and The Doomsday Killer :thumbdown: Dumb.

Season 7 :doh:

Season 8 :tfp:

Got these from the wife for Christmas.

I opened the box and skimmed my index finger across the top of the coasters, from back to front, probably 15 times before she took them away.

Finished 7... ehhhh... doomsday story line and incestuous feelings story line was pretty lame. Debating starting 8 out of morbid curiosity.

:unsure:

I binged seasons 1-5 and loved them, watched 6-8 live and agree they got progressively worse, with 8 being some of the worst TV ever made. A buddy just binged the entire series and seemed to have enjoyed 6-8 much more. He is a Cali stoner so his opinion is taken with a grain of medical. It did make me think that those who are starting Dexter from scratch and plowing through the entire series might not be as critical of the last quarter, maybe I'll have to give Dexter a round 2 in a few years.

Just finished this series. Ending is so so dumb. I'm sure it's been talked about multiple times in here, but it was just so ####### ridiculous. Getting through the episodes had become a chore. With some shows, you can't wait until the next episode. With this season it was just like "okay I have to finish these to see how it ends". I didn't have to finish them.

Just finished this series. Ending is so so dumb. I'm sure it's been talked about multiple times in here, but it was just so ####### ridiculous. Getting through the episodes had become a chore. With some shows, you can't wait until the next episode. With this season it was just like "okay I have to finish these to see how it ends". I didn't have to finish them.
:lmao:

I mentioned here before, but I bailed with two episodes to go. TWO!

:lmao:

I mentioned here before, but I bailed with two episodes to go. TWO!
Wise choice. Better to just imagine the ending.

:shrug: I thought the ending was great. Dexter sitting in that cabin all by himself, just staring at his barrel of money. Then when they showed Deb and Oliver in the makeshift kill room and the camera pans over to reveal Dexter behind the beam. And he says that he did all the killing for himself, that he was good at it, and that he was . . . alive. And you could see that Deb just appreciated the honesty for once.

8 wasn't QUITE as bad as some made it out to be, but it was a total shell of what was a great show.

Too bad.

Finished 8 last night. Sure, it wasn't as good as the other seasons, but I enjoyed it. :shrug: Still better than most anything else on tv.

I am mid way through Season 2:

Doakes just got suspended for beating up Dexter in the squad room. I have a feeling he will be one of Dexter's victims very soon.

I do not like Lila at all. She is certifiable and I don't like that she broke up Dexter and Rita.

And I prefer Season 1 Rita over Season 2. I liked her when she was much more fragile.

And the Deb-Lundy romance is creeping me out. But not as much as Musuka. Though he does make me laugh in a sick twisted way

Just finished it. Agreed season 8 was strongly lacking. I know endings shows are super hard, but thought this ending was forced and a cop-out. Why have him survive the hurricane only to become a recluse?

badmojo1006 said:

Doakes just got suspended for beating up Dexter in the squad room. I have a feeling he will be one of Dexter's victims very soon.I do not like Lila at all. She is certifiable and I don't like that she broke up Dexter and Rita.And I prefer Season 1 Rita over Season 2. I liked her when she was much more fragile.And the Deb-Lundy romance is creeping me out. But not as much as Musuka. Though he does make me laugh in a sick twisted way
Masuka rules. He will grow on you.

badmojo1006 said:

Doakes just got suspended for beating up Dexter in the squad room. I have a feeling he will be one of Dexter's victims very soon.

I do not like Lila at all. She is certifiable and I don't like that she broke up Dexter and Rita.

And I prefer Season 1 Rita over Season 2. I liked her when she was much more fragile.

And the Deb-Lundy romance is creeping me out. But not as much as Musuka. Though he does make me laugh in a sick twisted way
It's cool, she dies*.

* maybe ;)

Users who are viewing this thread