What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official ** Eagles 2008 Thread (2 Viewers)

From the Herman thread on KR and PR

I feel much better than last season

PHILADELPHIA

Second-round draft pick DeSean Jackson may be penciled in as the Eagles' primary returner on punts and kickoffs, but no one is going to simply hand him the job. Jackson is just one of a crowd of players working on returns during the team's first minicamp, which continued Sunday. Jackson and safety Quintin Demps, a fourth-round draft pick out of UTEP, got most of the reps, but special teams coordinator Rory Segrest said the field of candidates for those jobs is large and varied. "Both of those guys (Jackson and Demps) will definitely get looks," Segrest said of the kickoff return picture. "Of course, we've also got (running back Lorenzo) Booker back there. He'll give us a shot as well. "Then, we always have J.R. (Reed) and (Correll Buckhalter) if we want to go with more of a power running attack there. We've definitely got some good options at kick returner right now." The look is much the same at punt returner, where Jackson and Demps are joined by Reed, wideouts Bam Childress and Bill Sampy, as well as cornerback Tanard Davis. Presumably, the Eagles still have Reno Mahe on speed dial, should all of their options fail.
link
If you put a gun to my head and tell me to make a decsion right now, I'd guess Jackson will be the KR and Demps the PR. But yes, on paper, their return game seems vastly improved over last season.
:lmao: Yes, the POWER kickoff return. New innovative approach sweeping the NFL. Speed is not important.IMO, Jackson was an electrifying punt returner in college but did not return kickoffs. I think that Jackson is most likely going to be the PR (with Demps providing good competition) and the KR spot is wide open with Lorenzo Booker being a nice wild card there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat Patriot said:

PHILADELPHIA

Second-round draft pick DeSean Jackson may be penciled in as the Eagles' primary returner on punts and kickoffs, but no one is going to simply hand him the job. Jackson is just one of a crowd of players working on returns during the team's first minicamp, which continued Sunday. Jackson and safety Quintin Demps, a fourth-round draft pick out of UTEP, got most of the reps, but special teams coordinator Rory Segrest said the field of candidates for those jobs is large and varied. "Both of those guys (Jackson and Demps) will definitely get looks," Segrest said of the kickoff return picture. "Of course, we've also got (running back Lorenzo) Booker back there. He'll give us a shot as well. "Then, we always have J.R. (Reed) and (Correll Buckhalter) if we want to go with more of a power running attack there. We've definitely got some good options at kick returner right now." The look is much the same at punt returner, where Jackson and Demps are joined by Reed, wideouts Bam Childress and Bill Sampy, as well as cornerback Tanard Davis. Presumably, the Eagles still have Reno Mahe on speed dial, should all of their options fail.
link
If you put a gun to my head and tell me to make a decsion right now, I'd guess Jackson will be the KR and Demps the PR. But yes, on paper, their return game seems vastly improved over last season.
:lmao: Yes, the POWER kickoff return. New innovative approach sweeping the NFL. Speed is not important.IMO, Jackson was an electrifying punt returner in college but did not return kickoffs. I think that Jackson is most likely going to be the PR (with Demps providing good competition) and the KR spot is wide open with Lorenzo Booker being a nice wild card there.
Jackson had a bunch of problems fielding punts in mini camp, while Demps REALLY wowed them. :thumbup: Just passing along the info I heard, but I'd love to be wrong.....

PHILADELPHIA

link
Jackson had a bunch of problems fielding punts in mini camp, while Demps REALLY wowed them. :shrug: Just passing along the info I heard, but I'd love to be wrong.....
I was really shocked how little I read or heard about how badly this team missed J.R Reed after what proved to be a career altering injury. I thought losing him had huge ramifications on the Birds special teams, as his return game really made a difference in the 04 season. I was also shocked how poorly Reid reacted to his injury and did nothing to replace it until this year - but instead opted to put a bandaid on it with the Reno Mahe's of the world. Without having the info infront of me, Reed couldn't have been any higher than a 4th rd pick in 04 and his role in thier field position that year was significant. Teams that dont take the return game seriously pay for it in the end.

Yup, 4th Round. 129th overall. Reed looked excellent as a kick returner that year.
Reed's KR skills was a huge boost to the offense. I don't think he broke one that year, but the offense's avg starting field position had to be one of, if not the, best in the league in '04. They seemed to always be starting at the 35 yd line or better.By contrast, they had to be one of the worst teams last year in that area. We were always dealing with long fields.

scratcher said:
Hey DH, any word about interest in Jason Taylor? A short term contract and a trade for a 2nd rounder would make me happy.
I haven't heard anything. I know they expressed interest before the draft, but the Fins were holding out for a first rounder.I imagine you could get him pretty reasonably right now.

scratcher said:
Hey DH, any word about interest in Jason Taylor? A short term contract and a trade for a 2nd rounder would make me happy.
I haven't heard anything. I know they expressed interest before the draft, but the Fins were holding out for a first rounder.I imagine you could get him pretty reasonably right now.
Considering that Philly has 2 1sts, a 2nd seems like a great deal.Even a conditional first for Miami's 2nd wouldn't be a bad move.

bighandsray said:
Deranged: Any nuggets to report. I'm going through withdrawal.
I'm in need of a fix too Bob. Where is DH with some June 1st WR rumors? Ocho, Boldin...Gimme something!
Sorry guys, I got nothing to report....
Aw, man. Maybe you can make it up, but just not tell us you're making it up, but make it vague enough that it keeps us wondering, but potentially juicy enough that it satisfies our need for a fix. Kind of like a placebo.

Since we're bored.... saw this posted on another eagles site..

950 AM Missanelli show, Brian Seltzer reported that he has received positive confirmation that he Eagles "will look into using Sheppard on offense this year".Said it would not affect his responsibilities as a CB, that the "rotation" there would still be in effect and Lito will still be primarily a CB. Lito has lobbied for this for years, and the report Seltzer gave was from a "credited source" who had it confirmed by the Head coach.

So what's the deal with our new WR slacking off?
care to expand on that for those of us who can't find what you are talking about?
I assume he's talking about this article,http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-d...o&type=lgns

particularly this part

The problem is that Jackson has this tendency to act like a kid who thinks it’s cool to sit in the back of class and stare at the ceiling tiles with a disaffected attitude. During every individual drill, Jackson was the last in line to do the exercise. When wide receivers coach David Culley stopped to talk to the group, Jackson was the first (and often the only) one to take off his helmet. He looked off in every direction except directly at Culley.

About the only time Jackson seemed to pay full attention was when Reid was observing up close. In the NFL, you have to work harder than just when the big boss is looking.

All of that makes you wonder if Jackson gets the big picture, if he understands that he’s part of a big plan to put one extraordinarily quick offensive unit on the field from time to time; the type of unit that could ruin the great pass-rushing defenses from the New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. The defenses that made McNabb’s life miserable a year ago.

“I understand what people have said about me, but you can’t do nothing about what people say except go out and prove them wrong,” said Jackson, who many people expected to be a first-round pick when he declared to come out of Cal after his junior season. “That’s what I’m going to do now, prove them all wrong.”

So what's the deal with our new WR slacking off?
care to expand on that for those of us who can't find what you are talking about?
I assume he's talking about this article,http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-d...o&type=lgns

particularly this part

The problem is that Jackson has this tendency to act like a kid who thinks it's cool to sit in the back of class and stare at the ceiling tiles with a disaffected attitude. During every individual drill, Jackson was the last in line to do the exercise. When wide receivers coach David Culley stopped to talk to the group, Jackson was the first (and often the only) one to take off his helmet. He looked off in every direction except directly at Culley.

About the only time Jackson seemed to pay full attention was when Reid was observing up close. In the NFL, you have to work harder than just when the big boss is looking.

All of that makes you wonder if Jackson gets the big picture, if he understands that he's part of a big plan to put one extraordinarily quick offensive unit on the field from time to time; the type of unit that could ruin the great pass-rushing defenses from the New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. The defenses that made McNabb's life miserable a year ago.

"I understand what people have said about me, but you can't do nothing about what people say except go out and prove them wrong," said Jackson, who many people expected to be a first-round pick when he declared to come out of Cal after his junior season. "That's what I'm going to do now, prove them all wrong."
Yes, that's the report.Curious to see / hear what others have heard about possible attitude problems from our pseudo-first round WR.

WR Sampy was carted off.

He later had surgery.

Yes, that's all I got.

Actually, this wasn't a bad read.

Spadaro's take on position battles
I'm a little surprised Spadare thinks Buck is a lock while the younger, cheaper back without the lengthy history problems (Hunt) isn't.
Running Back

The Eagles generally keep three running backs, unless they have a player who specializes in something else, a la Reno Mahe as a return man last year. This time around, there is so much talent that the Eagles are going to have to make some hard decisions.

Brian Westbrook is a given, of course. You would think that both Correll Buckhalter, the veteran who averaged five yards per carry last year, and Lorenzo Booker, whom the Eagles acquired for a fourth-round draft choice in April, are pretty much locks.

Would the Eagles keep a fourth running back? Can they? Certainly, they have to look at Tony Hunt for an extended period of time, right? He was a third-round draft pick who barely played as a rookie. Former third-round pick Ryan Moats also figures to be in the mix, but his odds suddenly seemed to grow longer when Booker arrived.

It's a good group, on paper. With four third-round draft picks (Westbrook, Moats, Booker, Hunt) and a fourth-rounder (Buckhalter) on hand, the Eagles have talent here. They just have to figure out a way to keep the right three, or four, of however many they decide to carry on the 53-man roster.

I'm a little surprised Spadare thinks Buck is a lock while the younger, cheaper back without the lengthy history problems (Hunt) isn't.

Running BackThe Eagles generally keep three running backs, unless they have a player who specializes in something else, a la Reno Mahe as a return man last year. This time around, there is so much talent that the Eagles are going to have to make some hard decisions.Brian Westbrook is a given, of course. You would think that both Correll Buckhalter, the veteran who averaged five yards per carry last year, and Lorenzo Booker, whom the Eagles acquired for a fourth-round draft choice in April, are pretty much locks.Would the Eagles keep a fourth running back? Can they? Certainly, they have to look at Tony Hunt for an extended period of time, right? He was a third-round draft pick who barely played as a rookie. Former third-round pick Ryan Moats also figures to be in the mix, but his odds suddenly seemed to grow longer when Booker arrived.It's a good group, on paper. With four third-round draft picks (Westbrook, Moats, Booker, Hunt) and a fourth-rounder (Buckhalter) on hand, the Eagles have talent here. They just have to figure out a way to keep the right three, or four, of however many they decide to carry on the 53-man roster.
I'm not surprised with Buck over Hunt. I think Buck brings more to the table. He's faster and has better hands plus he knows the system. Granted we saw very little of Hunt and it was limited to (failed) short-yardage attempts. I think we'll see a lot of Hunt and Booker in the pre-season and Hunt will really need to impress to beat out Buck IMO.

Running BackThe Eagles generally keep three running backs, unless they have a player who specializes in something else, a la Reno Mahe as a return man last year. This time around, there is so much talent that the Eagles are going to have to make some hard decisions.Brian Westbrook is a given, of course. You would think that both Correll Buckhalter, the veteran who averaged five yards per carry last year, and Lorenzo Booker, whom the Eagles acquired for a fourth-round draft choice in April, are pretty much locks.Would the Eagles keep a fourth running back? Can they? Certainly, they have to look at Tony Hunt for an extended period of time, right? He was a third-round draft pick who barely played as a rookie. Former third-round pick Ryan Moats also figures to be in the mix, but his odds suddenly seemed to grow longer when Booker arrived.It's a good group, on paper. With four third-round draft picks (Westbrook, Moats, Booker, Hunt) and a fourth-rounder (Buckhalter) on hand, the Eagles have talent here. They just have to figure out a way to keep the right three, or four, of however many they decide to carry on the 53-man roster.
I'm not surprised with Buck over Hunt. I think Buck brings more to the table. He's faster and has better hands plus he knows the system. Granted we saw very little of Hunt and it was limited to (failed) short-yardage attempts. I think we'll see a lot of Hunt and Booker in the pre-season and Hunt will really need to impress to beat out Buck IMO.
Buck's got experience and he's cheap at $1M for this year. That's pretty good for the only non-Westy RB to have a 100-yard game to his credit.

I know it's been discussed beofre but I thought this DN blog entry about the future of the Eagles' offensive line (tackles really) was interesting.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...the_O-line.html
It'll be kind of weird to see a new long-term tackle or tackles for the Eagles. Having lived through the nightmare OLines of the Ryan and Kotite eras, it's been a really great thing to not have to worry about that position for the last 10 years.

I know it's been discussed beofre but I thought this DN blog entry about the future of the Eagles' offensive line (tackles really) was interesting.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...the_O-line.html
It'll be kind of weird to see a new long-term tackle or tackles for the Eagles. Having lived through the nightmare OLines of the Ryan and Kotite eras, it's been a really great thing to not have to worry about that position for the last 10 years.
Say what you want about Big Red, but he's always had the bases covered (for the most part) on the OL. The Olines during the Buddy era was an disaster. Remember the Ron Solt tradeAnyone know why Scott Young is not at the next camp

Shoud we be reading into Lito skipping this as a bad sign?

Things not going well with the Klecko FB experiment?

The Eagles acquired fullback Luke Lawton from the Indianapolis Colts on Friday for a conditional 2009 draft choice.The 240-pound fullback appeared in 11 games for the defending Super Bowl champions in 2007. He carried the ball five times for 13 yards and gained 29 yards on four catches, including a touchdown. Lawton also played a role on the Colts' special teams unit.Originally a rookie free agent from McNeese State in 2004, Walton spent time on the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills' practice squads in his rookie year. He made his first appearance in game action with the New York Jets in 2005, registering two special teams tackles.Lawton was a teammate of fullback Dan Klecko in Indianapolis, where Klecko played primarily as a defensive tackle.The New Iberia, La. native had a decorated career at McNeese State, where he was a teammate of defensive end Bryan Smith. His 22 rushing touchdowns rank seventh in school history. Additionally, he was a three-year starter and was a first-team All-America at fullback.

The Eagles acquired fullback Luke Lawton from the Indianapolis Colts on Friday for a conditional 2009 draft choice.The 240-pound fullback appeared in 11 games for the defending Super Bowl champions in 2007. He carried the ball five times for 13 yards and gained 29 yards on four catches, including a touchdown. Lawton also played a role on the Colts' special teams unit.Originally a rookie free agent from McNeese State in 2004, Walton spent time on the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills' practice squads in his rookie year. He made his first appearance in game action with the New York Jets in 2005, registering two special teams tackles.Lawton was a teammate of fullback Dan Klecko in Indianapolis, where Klecko played primarily as a defensive tackle.The New Iberia, La. native had a decorated career at McNeese State, where he was a teammate of defensive end Bryan Smith. His 22 rushing touchdowns rank seventh in school history. Additionally, he was a three-year starter and was a first-team All-America at fullback.
Listening to Pat Kirwin on NFL radio and he believes that Reid isn't happy the various FBs on the roster (Klecko, Davis) are not good fits and that's why he was brought in.Of course PK also thinks Dawkins, Patterson and a 1st for CJ is a good deal for the Eagles.I agree with the former, not as much with the latter.

bobg829 said:
Deranged: Any info on McNabb's shoulder? Any info in any possible WR trades?
Funny you should ask, I talked to my buddy about that last night. re: McNabb. They're not worried at all. This is simply a precaution and, IMO, I think they like Kolb getting so many reps in practice. Again, the part about Kolb is simply speculation on my part.re: a WR. They were hopeful Cincy would soften their stance about trading Johnson after June 1st, when the cap hit would be spread out, but it's not happening. Not right now anyway. That's not to say they have not been involved in talks with a different team that has a disgruntled vet....... :goodposting:

bobg829 said:
Funny you should ask, I talked to my buddy about that last night. re: McNabb. They're not worried at all. This is simply a precaution and, IMO, I think they like Kolb getting so many reps in practice. Again, the part about Kolb is simply speculation on my part.re: a WR. They were hopeful Cincy would soften their stance about trading Johnson after June 1st, when the cap hit would be spread out, but it's not happening. Not right now anyway. That's not to say they have not been involved in talks with a different team that has a disgruntled vet....... :lmao:
sometimes you are just cruel.... :lmao:

Listening to Pat Kirwin on NFL radio and he believes that Reid isn't happy the various FBs on the roster (Klecko, Davis) are not good fits and that's why he was brought in.Of course PK also thinks Dawkins, Patterson and a 1st for CJ is a good deal for the Eagles.I agree with the former, not as much with the latter.
LOL...let's give up the heart and soul of our locker room, one of the better young DTs in the NFC (signed through 2016 by the way), and a 1st rounder for a wide receiver. Gotta love Kirwan! :shrug:

bobg829 said:
Funny you should ask, I talked to my buddy about that last night. re: McNabb. They're not worried at all. This is simply a precaution and, IMO, I think they like Kolb getting so many reps in practice. Again, the part about Kolb is simply speculation on my part.

re: a WR. They were hopeful Cincy would soften their stance about trading Johnson after June 1st, when the cap hit would be spread out, but it's not happening. Not right now anyway. That's not to say they have not been involved in talks with a different team that has a disgruntled vet....... :shrug:
please don't mean Bobby Engramplease don't mean Bobby Engram

please don't mean Bobby Engram

please don't mean Bobby Engram

bobg829 said:
Funny you should ask, I talked to my buddy about that last night. re: McNabb. They're not worried at all. This is simply a precaution and, IMO, I think they like Kolb getting so many reps in practice. Again, the part about Kolb is simply speculation on my part.re: a WR. They were hopeful Cincy would soften their stance about trading Johnson after June 1st, when the cap hit would be spread out, but it's not happening. Not right now anyway. That's not to say they have not been involved in talks with a different team that has a disgruntled vet....... :lmao:
ROY! He missed the OTA, that sounds disgruntled to me :goodposting:

bobg829 said:
ROY! He missed the OTA, that sounds disgruntled to me :rolleyes:
Not a WR. Sorry, I should have been clearer on that....

Hello Jason Taylor
I hope he can play WR.
Taylor's an upgrade no matter what, but the Eagles are quite deep at DE.
That was my first thought also...seems Taylor would be worth more to a dozen other teams then he'd be worth to the Eagles.
I agree but, as far as my friend knows, only TB has been asking about him besides the Eagles.
You figure Miami has to move him, right? I mean, he's already said he only plans to play one more year and the Dolphins aren't doing anything this year, so get what you can for him. I just hope that if it's the Eagles, they don't overpay. That being said, is it too much to ask for a receiver?

Hello Jason Taylor
I hope he can play WR.
Taylor's an upgrade no matter what, but the Eagles are quite deep at DE.
That was my first thought also...seems Taylor would be worth more to a dozen other teams then he'd be worth to the Eagles.
I agree but, as far as my friend knows, only TB has been asking about him besides the Eagles.
You figure Miami has to move him, right? I mean, he's already said he only plans to play one more year and the Dolphins aren't doing anything this year, so get what you can for him. I just hope that if it's the Eagles, they don't overpay. That being said, is it too much to ask for a receiver?
Better yet, why are they interested in bringing in a stopgap solution, I thought Johnson was amped up about the pass rush situation here? I don't want him in here, I've been reading good things about Darren Howard, he figured after 3 years into an embarassing contract he'll put some effort in. Also - why do we (Eagles fans) want Chad Johnson on our team? He's no doubt a great reciver but do we really need to deal with his antics? The Birds red zone offesne blew becasue McNabb wasnt healthy. I even heard Seth Joyner on Jody Mac's show and he flat out asked him (McNabb) at a celebreity golf tournament "Why did you even play last year"

Also - why do we (Eagles fans) want Chad Johnson on our team? He's no doubt a great reciver but do we really need to deal with his antics?
I'd deal.
The same thing gets said about superstars that want out of what they perceive to be bad situations.Think Corey Dillon from CIN to NE. Randy Moss from OAK to NE. TO from PHI to DAL.A change of scenery changes a player's tone and outlook significantly - especially if they wind up on a contender.

A 1st for Chad and a conditional 3rd/could be 2nd for JT and this team is stacked. Give JT a substantial option for 2009 and he returns to a contender. Why not?

Users who are viewing this thread