What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official ** Eagles 2008 Thread (2 Viewers)

Any chance the Birds will be using a 3-4 a bit this year? Laws played a bit of 3-4 and has the size and obvious strength (35 on the BP) to allow the Birds to float in and out of 3-4. I am wondering if they plan on using some of these DE's/LB's to try it out a bit.
Jim Miller was on Sirius Late Hits last night and he mentioned that the big secret that he keeps hearing in philly is that they plan on mixing in some 3-4 Defense this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance the Birds will be using a 3-4 a bit this year? Laws played a bit of 3-4 and has the size and obvious strength (35 on the BP) to allow the Birds to float in and out of 3-4. I am wondering if they plan on using some of these DE's/LB's to try it out a bit.
Jim Miller was on Sirius Late Hits last night and he mentioned that the big secret that he keeps hearing in philly is that they plan on mixing in some 3-4 Defense this season.
That would make sense with the tweener LB/DEs the keep acquiring- Clemons, B. Smith, Gocong, Studebaker.And, oddly, on the Eagles website Gocong is listed as DE/LB

I don't think that's such a big secret. Look at the players they've been signing/drafting, seems like 3-4 type players to me.....

Few players were waived recently as well none earth-shaking though

LaJuan Ramsey, AJ Schable, Tanard Davis, T. Golden, Sampy among others

Casey Hansen too, leaving 3 QBs. I'd guess McNabb's shoulder isn't too bad but I'd also assume they will bring in another arm before camp

I don't think that's such a big secret. Look at the players they've been signing/drafting, seems like 3-4 type players to me.....
And they did it in some games last year, notably against New England.I love this defense's potential and speed. It should be fun to watch.

Exept for the complete lack of a NT...

Just resigned Kimo Von Olhoffen :unsure:

Just resigned Kimo Von Olhoffen :shrug:
Yup, I was just getting ready to say that. :cry:

Just resigned Kimo Von Olhoffen :thumbup:
Can he play WR?

Just resigned Kimo Von Olhoffen :yawn:
Can he play WR?
No but he did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :confused:

And they did it in some games last year, notably against New England.I love this defense's potential and speed. It should be fun to watch.
I have been getting very excited about our defenses potential this season. JJ is a smart cookie. I like how he implements schemes a year or 2 in advance instead of making big changes. Plus the more I think about it I hope we keep Lito. With Lito, Sheldon and Asante this would allow Dawkins around the line of scrimmage. Imagine if Sheldon plays the slot in nickel we could change defensive schemes and formations without changing personnel (aka two minute drill) or (No Huddle). Put Dawkins and Sheldon on the weak side and they could take turns blitzing.Just a few of my random thoughts ( :thumbup: After about 6 of these I will say anything). If we let go of Lito we better bring in someone who can contribute but personally I hope we keep him.

Anquan Boldin says that he may hold out of training camp, per PFT. So, he's not as happy as originally indicated. Any thoughts? He'd look great in green.

Sorry, I just have not seen it mentioned before and when I did mention it in April nobody really said a thing. I would think it would be something greatly discussed being that its huge change in how they run their defense and view players. For a team that put so little stock in the LB position, to go and start messing a with a defense that emphasizes the LB position is quite interesting.

Just resigned Kimo Von Olhoffen :fishing:
Can he play WR?
:hifive: he cant be any worse than pinkston was.

Anquan Boldin says that he may hold out of training camp, per PFT. So, he's not as happy as originally indicated. Any thoughts? He'd look great in green.
as much as i like AB, i think he's more of a slot/inside receiver. And with Curtis, that position already filled IMO. Sadly, the guy the Eagles need was already there...he who should not be named.If Booker is all he's supposed to be and DJ shows even a little bit of flash his rooke year, i think the combination of those 2 and Westy could easily account for the lack of a #1 WR. Thats a whole lotta speed and matchup problems regardless of where they lineup

as much as i like AB, i think he's more of a slot/inside receiver. And with Curtis, that position already filled IMO. Sadly, the guy the Eagles need was already there...he who should not be named.If Booker is all he's supposed to be and DJ shows even a little bit of flash his rooke year, i think the combination of those 2 and Westy could easily account for the lack of a #1 WR. Thats a whole lotta speed and matchup problems regardless of where they lineup
Anquan Boldin as purely a slot receiver?Have you seen him play and his build? He's clearly big enough and physical enough to play outside. That comment is puzzling to me. He's a Top 15 WR and doesn't play the slot.

Anquan Boldin as purely a slot receiver?Have you seen him play and his build? He's clearly big enough and physical enough to play outside. That comment is puzzling to me. He's a Top 15 WR and doesn't play the slot.
Noticed it a couple years ago when I had him on my FF squad. Didnt chart plays or anything, but i just noticed that he seemed to line up in the slot a LOT. Then. last week i heard an interview on Sirius NFL Radio (Moving the Chains) with Kurt Warner, and he mentioned the same thing. He said "Anquan just likes to play in the slot". Warner went on to say that replacing Johnson shouldn't be an issues because his backups "like to be on the outside and get down the field, and with Anquan in the slot, it should be a nice fit".I'm not saying Anquan cant play the X, just from what i've noticed and heard, he prefers the Z :goodposting:Also, his physical build has nothing to do with where he plays, thats more of a team by team consideration. Though, IMO, the fact that he is ginormous actually makes him a better fit for the Z, where he would be slashing inside and facing bigger safeties and LBs.

I'm not saying Anquan cant play the X, just from what i've noticed and heard, he prefers the Z :coffee:Also, his physical build has nothing to do with where he plays, thats more of a team by team consideration. Though, IMO, the fact that he is ginormous actually makes him a better fit for the Z, where he would be slashing inside and facing bigger safeties and LBs.
Flanker = ZSplit End = XSlot = YYou keep saying slot, I'm assuming you mean the Y postion?

Did anyone hear Eskin's Q & A with McNabb today? I rarely listen to 610, because I have Sirius, but I did intend to listen for this, but wasn't in my car. Anyone have a report?

I'm not saying Anquan cant play the X, just from what i've noticed and heard, he prefers the Z :excited:Also, his physical build has nothing to do with where he plays, thats more of a team by team consideration. Though, IMO, the fact that he is ginormous actually makes him a better fit for the Z, where he would be slashing inside and facing bigger safeties and LBs.
Flanker = ZSplit End = XSlot = YYou keep saying slot, I'm assuming you mean the Y postion?
Sorry, for half my post i was thinking about 2 receiver sets, and the other half i was considering 3 WR sets. Basically i think AB likes to play inside, call it the slot or Z or whatever you want, he prefers to run inside routes, covered up by an outside WR

Per Fanball:

Cards want Warner; Bolden in limbo

The News

Reports out of Arizona indicate the Cardinals have switched gears and are now putting full focus on getting veteran quarterback Kurt Warner signed to a new deal, according to Pro Football Weekly.

Our View

The team has been working with linebacker Karlos Dansby with hopes of getting their franchise player signed and sealed, and we have been filling pages of reports on the team's efforts to get receiver Anquan Boldin happy. However, now the team wants to insure Warner is locked into deal that will insure he's on the roster. This is a bit worrisome on several fronts. For starters, now we must wonder just how happy the team is with young arm Matt Leinart, obviously concerned with the need to keep a secondary option. Reports also indicate that Boldin is now stating he is unsure if he will have a future in Arizona, and choosing to reflect on an aging secondary passer could put him off. We will update as the saga in Arizona continues to unfold.

I wish these "reports" would also indicate that the Eagles would get him in here.

Total rumor- Taken from another message board (I don't think I can give the link here) via WIP/ A. Gargano

On the morning show Anthony Gargano (Who has been right with many trades and FA pick ups) reported that Saint WR Marques COlston wont report 2 TC if he dosent recive a contract that a top WR is worth. He also said there is a chance that we could make one last offer 4 a WR by dealingt Lito and a second rounder 2 the saints for Marques Colston.
But Gargano called the Stallworth Deal,The Garcia DeaL,The TKO Deal,The Curtis Deal,and the Asante Deal,Hell he broke the news that Clemons would be the second guy brought hereSo he sounds like he knows what he is talking aboiutR-Diddy on this rumor"Its a rumor" "You cant predict the Eagles in this situation" "I do belive they will get a WR before TC maybe Colston maybe not Colston""If I had to bet on it i would say that the Eagles WILL trade for Colston before Camp opens"^^^^^ That was on a Radio show this morning with Gargano. Gargano and R-Diddy are hardly wrong.
PM me if you want the link

Total rumor- Taken from another message board (I don't think I can give the link here) via WIP/ A. Gargano

On the morning show Anthony Gargano (Who has been right with many trades and FA pick ups) reported that Saint WR Marques COlston wont report 2 TC if he dosent recive a contract that a top WR is worth. He also said there is a chance that we could make one last offer 4 a WR by dealingt Lito and a second rounder 2 the saints for Marques Colston.
But Gargano called the Stallworth Deal,The Garcia DeaL,The TKO Deal,The Curtis Deal,and the Asante Deal,Hell he broke the news that Clemons would be the second guy brought hereSo he sounds like he knows what he is talking aboiutR-Diddy on this rumor"Its a rumor" "You cant predict the Eagles in this situation" "I do belive they will get a WR before TC maybe Colston maybe not Colston""If I had to bet on it i would say that the Eagles WILL trade for Colston before Camp opens"^^^^^ That was on a Radio show this morning with Gargano. Gargano and R-Diddy are hardly wrong.
Wow!!! :unsure: :hifive: :clap: :pickle: :shock: :hot: :lmao: That would be awesome if that came true.

Wow!!! ;) :hifive: :clap: :pickle: :shock: :no: :bag: That would be awesome if that came true.
DH, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
bobg829 said:
Zoomanji said:

Wow!!! :loco: :rolleyes: :clap: :goodposting: :shock: :unsure: :eek: That would be awesome if that came true.
I would rather wait on Boldin. Colston's good but I think he's too slow and wouldn't be as good without Brees. Lito and a 2nd should net you more.

I'd rather take my chances with Lito on this defense this year and a 2nd next year than Colston. Not a big fan of the slow possession guy with McNabb. I'd rather try to win with defense.

Seems like too much for Colston. Don't know why Lito, a young pro bowl cb with a reasonable contract, is not enough. I'm an eagles homer and in the "did we really need Samuel" camp. Every team knows we have too much invested in corners now so we will never get full value for Sheppard.

I think Colston would fit in well with the WRs we have.... plus don't we want that tall WR we can hit on the Fade route in the end zone? We've been complaining about our WRs in the red zone, this guy should def help there and I would love Curtis as our #2.

I'd still prefer Boldin but I would be happy about Colston. Nevertheless, I'll hold out hope until the Hermit adds his insight.

Quick edit........ thinking about NOLA, can they really afford to give up Colston???

I think Colston would fit in well with the WRs we have.... plus don't we want that tall WR we can hit on the Fade route in the end zone? We've been complaining about our WRs in the red zone, this guy should def help there and I would love Curtis as our #2.

I'd still prefer Boldin but I would be happy about Colston. Nevertheless, I'll hold out hope until the Hermit adds his insight.

Quick edit........ thinking about NOLA, can they really afford to give up Colston???
I don't think so. That's why I don't put much stock in this rumor even though I posted it. Maybe if we give them R. Brown too but then we are giving up way too much.

I've always got a smile on my face when I read the "Eagles get stud WR" rumor du jour but honestly I'm not holding my breath. If something happens, awesome. If not, we go to war with a (hopefully) stifling defense and an offense that's just good enough to win games. :eek:

I've always got a smile on my face when I read the "Eagles get stud WR" rumor du jour but honestly I'm not holding my breath. If something happens, awesome. If not, we go to war with a (hopefully) stifling defense and an offense that's just good enough to win games. :blackdot:
Agreed. Its nice to talk about each and every stud WR and come up with some convoluted way that he will be wearing Eagles green this fall, but I don't see it happening. That being said, I hope they do keep Lito, pay him what they owe him, and truck out Lito, Asante and Sheldon for all these 3 and 4 WR sets. The Birds def this year could/should be a hell of a site.

Jason Wood said:
I've always got a smile on my face when I read the "Eagles get stud WR" rumor du jour but honestly I'm not holding my breath. If something happens, awesome. If not, we go to war with a (hopefully) stifling defense and an offense that's just good enough to win games. :shrug:
But is that going to be good enough to win a Super Bowl?

Jason Wood said:
I've always got a smile on my face when I read the "Eagles get stud WR" rumor du jour but honestly I'm not holding my breath. If something happens, awesome. If not, we go to war with a (hopefully) stifling defense and an offense that's just good enough to win games. :)
This is my Birds you're talking about. Of course not :fishing:

Jason Wood said:
I've always got a smile on my face when I read the "Eagles get stud WR" rumor du jour but honestly I'm not holding my breath. If something happens, awesome. If not, we go to war with a (hopefully) stifling defense and an offense that's just good enough to win games. :shrug:
This is my Birds you're talking about. Of course not :sadbanana:
Nah man, this is our Birds, and I totally get what you are saying :thumbdown:

Wow!!! :shrug: :hifive: :clap: :thumbup: :shock: :rolleyes: :popcorn: That would be awesome if that came true.
I'll be bowling with my buddy tomorrow. I'll ask him than.IMO , this seems like wishful thinking, but who knows......

Wow!!! :popcorn: :hifive: :clap: :pickle: :shock: :) :shrug: That would be awesome if that came true.
I'll be bowling with my buddy tomorrow. I'll ask him than.IMO , this seems like wishful thinking, but who knows......
I get so excited when I see that DH was the last post.

Wow!!! :kicksrock: :hifive: :clap: :pickle: :shock: :thumbup: :bs: That would be awesome if that came true.
So you're saying there's a chance?! :pickle:

Wow!!! :lol: :hifive: :clap: :pickle: :shock: :unsure: :hot: That would be awesome if that came true.
I get so excited when I see that DH was the last post.
HAHAHA THATS AWESOME, ME TOO!

wow, you guys really wouldn't give up Lito & a 2nd for Colston. I've always liked Lito (and agree that we didn't need Samuels) but whether we like it or not we now have Asante starting and Lito is our #3. I would make that deal without hesitation. Colston #1 & Curtis #2, unless you are running 3 WR sets, then let Reg Brown play #2 and put Curtis in the slot. His speed would kill LBs & Safeties. I think NO would be crazy to get rid of Colston. He is too important to their team.

Edit to add- I would prefer Boldin over Colston though.

For those wishing we took a flyer on Adarius Bowman in the 6th or 7th round of the NFL draft. He had 6 receptions, 112 yards, and a TD in his first game in the CFL and the QB who was throwing him the ball is pretty horrible. Was against one of the leagues weaker defenses though, it's going to be interesting to see how he does in the next couple games.

Not much to report re: Colston. Basically they heard he was disgruntled and inquired about him. He thinks that NO isn't even close to the point of dealing him. Sorry the report isn't more sexy that that.

Colston might be one of the few griping WR's that has a legit beef though. He's not paid squat.

Not much to report re: Colston. Basically they heard he was disgruntled and inquired about him. He thinks that NO isn't even close to the point of dealing him. Sorry the report isn't more sexy that that.Colston might be one of the few griping WR's that has a legit beef though. He's not paid squat.
Sure, but he was also literally a few picks away from never having an NFL career. He'll get paid, nothing I've seen from the Saints indicates they are unwilling to reward their best young players.

Not much to report re: Colston. Basically they heard he was disgruntled and inquired about him. He thinks that NO isn't even close to the point of dealing him. Sorry the report isn't more sexy that that.Colston might be one of the few griping WR's that has a legit beef though. He's not paid squat.
Sure, but he was also literally a few picks away from never having an NFL career. He'll get paid, nothing I've seen from the Saints indicates they are unwilling to reward their best young players.
Of course, I think you are right. I at least think that this is an interesting rumor since we have done business with the Saints before and because Colston is being underpaid. Another thing that is certain is that if any top flight WRs do become available for trade before the start of the season Philly is in a better position to aquire one than we have ever been before having Lito and two first rounders next season.

Ouch.

Welker expressed disappointment that the Patriots weren't able to re-sign Asante Samuel, an All-Pro and Pro Bowl selection last season who won two Super Bowls with New England. Samuel instead signed a six-year, $57 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"Asante's a great player, so it hurts not to have a guy like that. But then again, it's part of the business of the game," Welker said. "He chose money over championships, and that's the way it goes sometimes."

Ouch.

Welker expressed disappointment that the Patriots weren't able to re-sign Asante Samuel, an All-Pro and Pro Bowl selection last season who won two Super Bowls with New England. Samuel instead signed a six-year, $57 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"Asante's a great player, so it hurts not to have a guy like that. But then again, it's part of the business of the game," Welker said. "He chose money over championships, and that's the way it goes sometimes."
:BulletinBoard:

Users who are viewing this thread