What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Game Thread*** Green Bay at Detroit TNF edition (1 Viewer)

Two plays earlier, deep down the right sideline, Abbrederis collided with a Lions safety Isa Abdul-Quddus. No flag. I don't care what Mike Carey says in the booth, that was pass interference. It was exactly like the pass interference call earlier in the game when Richard Rodgers was involved. Any Lion fan complaining about calls better recognize that abomination.
Another ex ref caled it PI. Made contact before he turned his head.
What you describe is called Face Guarding (as I learned 2 pages ago) and was removed as a penalty in 1995 or around there. He doesn't have to turn around but I thought Abdul was going for the ball when he ran into Abbrederis.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a facemask, his had hit the head of a QB and it hit the facemask, stop the whining since its unbecoming and a clear penalty.

The Lions lost because they became the Lions we all know this year. Why was a defenders hand even near the face of anyone he is trying to tackle anyways?
you should look up the actual face mask rule

BobbyLayne said:
biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:
On the live play, I thought Rodgers was facemasked just by the way his head turned and the ref that called it was behind the play wasn't he? On the replay he clearly glances his pinky finger off the facemask and it definitely should not have been a facemask call.

There is no way in hell Rodgers fake jerked his head though to try and "steal" a facemask call, as smart a player as Rodgers is there is no way he can react that quickly in that situation.

But even after a questionable call, we still had to complete a 61 yard Hail Mary for a win and Detroit allowed that to happen. If it had been reversed I would be bitter about a bad call but more pissed that my team allowed a 61 yard Hail Mary, cause that is just terrible on the players and coaches.

I really am/was impressed with Richard Rodgers who took time to look at the ball, look down to see where he was and looked back up to track the ball and make a really tough play look easy. Great throw and great catch, but obviously bad D as well.
After going down he immediately looked back and threw up his hands like "you going to call that facemask?"
although it probably wasn't the correct call, it is a call you can't blame the ref for making. The defender's hand originally got his facemask, Ridgers' head snapped and turned all the way around, and his helmet ended up crooked and his chinstrap under his nose. It's not reviewable, and every ref in the country makes that call.
Well there's yer problemAND

because the NFL does not want to admit replay might have ended the game with a different winner, they won't say it
Here's your review.

http://image.mlive.c...2336-mmmain.jpg

Call stands.
Look, I get that this gets called every time but there are a #### ton of fallacies everyone keeps falling back on. I commend you on taking a stance against your rooting interest here, but that still is about the only quarter second his thumb is on the facemask. He didn't pull or turn his head, but rather Rodgers turned his head at that moment. Again, I agree it gets called 100% of the time--doesn't mean it was a real facemask.

Additionally, for the record folks--when he has the ball at that point he doesn't get QB protection--he's the ball carrier.

Yes the Lions did Lion things that nobody outside of Cleveland can rationally explain on the very next play. Still, the same ref who called the non-facemask penalty also didn't call that egregious holding penalty on the LT. The NFL got the outcome it wanted, plain and simple.
Could have called the flagrant hold or the block in the back afterwards. Didn't.Cowboys playoff game, didn't call the PI. Seahawks, blew the batted ball. Somebody had to be Washington Generals.

We're the bottom rail. Don't like getting ####ed? Claw your way to the top. Don't expect to get bailed out. Don't put yourself in a position where the zebras can make a difference.

Plenty of opportunity to put that game away & they didn't get it done. Lions just need to look in the mirror. They had chances, didn't take control of the game, hoped to survive.
Buddy, I just want to compliment you on your overall outlook on things. I first noticed during the week of the Lions/Eagles game. You look at things without bias, I never hear you whine and complain about the refs, and I never see you rag on other team's fans. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. You're one of the board's best posters. :thumbup:
That seems out of character for TSP.

;)

That's nice of you to say, but I don't think it's anything extraordinary. A decade of competitive sports taught me to accept the breaks that come your way & forget the ones that don't. You can't focus if you don't. As a fan, it doesn't matter - the outcome won't change. For the players, a non-reviewable call is over and done with. Turn the page.

For every bad call, there are 20 other ways players can impact the game in a positive manner. The bad call didn't make you lose the game.

The Lions ran 13 offensive and punted 4 times the rest of the first half after going up 17-0. Had the chance at burying them, didn't get it done. On the last two series of downs for the Lions, they ran Joique Bell into 8 and 9 man fronts; minus 4 yards. Give Stafford for a great pass to Jones for 29 yards on the first series (3rd & 12), but otherwise they just flat out turtled up.

The design of the last play defense was pathetic, I posted seven different aspects that they screwed up. Fix any one of those seven and it's game over. They teed it up for Green Bay.

And give Rodgers some credit. Chucked it 70 yards on line after faking out then alluding the rush, and knew he needed a running start to get it all the way there. Helluva finish, both teams fans will remember this one their whole life.

Two plays earlier, deep down the right sideline, Abbrederis collided with a Lions safety Isa Abdul-Quddus. No flag. I don't care what Mike Carey says in the booth, that was pass interference. It was exactly like the pass interference call earlier in the game when Richard Rodgers was involved. Any Lion fan complaining about calls better recognize that abomination.
What you describe is called Face Guarding (as I learned 2 pages ago) and was removed as a penalty in 1995 or around there. He doesn't have to turn around but I thought Abdul was going for the ball when he ran into Abbrederis.
I actually agree with the no call especially in that situation...and don't feel that much about a play like that barring blatant contact to prevent the catch.

I am aware of faceguarding...however...I was commenting more about the contact he made prior to turning his head. Contact and face guarding are not quite the same thing.

I actually agree with the no call especially in that situation...and don't feel that much about a play like that barring blatant contact to prevent the catch.

I am aware of faceguarding...however...I was commenting more about the contact he made prior to turning his head. Contact and face guarding are not quite the same thing.
Yeah, I had no idea face gaurding was perfectly legal until Bobby Layne corrected me earlier in this thread. :bag:

‏@DeanBlandino

Hand up to the mask, quick grab with finger and head gets turned. At full speed official is going to make that call almost every time.
Thing is the defender didn't even put his hand up to the mask. Rodgers was bouncing up and down and essentially moved his mask into the way of the defenders hand. Got to allow these guys to play football.
Good stuff

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Everyone knows that in order to indicate true amusement one must use at least 4 lmao emojis.

JuniorNB said:
biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:
On the live play, I thought Rodgers was facemasked just by the way his head turned and the ref that called it was behind the play wasn't he? On the replay he clearly glances his pinky finger off the facemask and it definitely should not have been a facemask call.

There is no way in hell Rodgers fake jerked his head though to try and "steal" a facemask call, as smart a player as Rodgers is there is no way he can react that quickly in that situation.

But even after a questionable call, we still had to complete a 61 yard Hail Mary for a win and Detroit allowed that to happen. If it had been reversed I would be bitter about a bad call but more pissed that my team allowed a 61 yard Hail Mary, cause that is just terrible on the players and coaches.

I really am/was impressed with Richard Rodgers who took time to look at the ball, look down to see where he was and looked back up to track the ball and make a really tough play look easy. Great throw and great catch, but obviously bad D as well.
After going down he immediately looked back and threw up his hands like "you going to call that facemask?"
although it probably wasn't the correct call, it is a call you can't blame the ref for making. The defender's hand originally got his facemask, Ridgers' head snapped and turned all the way around, and his helmet ended up crooked and his chinstrap under his nose. It's not reviewable, and every ref in the country makes that call.

because the NFL does not want to admit replay might have ended the game with a different winner, they won't say it
Here's your review.

Call stands.
Look, I get that this gets called every time but there are a #### ton of fallacies everyone keeps falling back on. I commend you on taking a stance against your rooting interest here, but that still is about the only quarter second his thumb is on the facemask. He didn't pull or turn his head, but rather Rodgers turned his head at that moment. Again, I agree it gets called 100% of the time--doesn't mean it was a real facemask.

Additionally, for the record folks--when he has the ball at that point he doesn't get QB protection--he's the ball carrier.

Yes the Lions did Lion things that nobody outside of Cleveland can rationally explain on the very next play. Still, the same ref who called the non-facemask penalty also didn't call that egregious holding penalty on the LT. The NFL got the outcome it wanted, plain and simple.
So, you see an actual picture with the defender's finger inside the facemask, pulling Rodgers' head around, and admit that it would get called "every time", but then refer to it as the non-facemask call. And then mention someone taking a stand for their rooting interest. And accuse the NFL for fixing the outcome. lol Explain exactly how the league went about this? And how they got the Lion defender to grab the facemask and the defense to not properly cover the hail mary.
And don't forget this mysterious holding penalty that was missed that, apparently, he was the only one to see.
Well, if you want to take stills from a video and post them as evidence then I'm not sure what to say. If you decide to watch the video below and think he had a hold of the facemask the entire time, jerked his head and brought him down then let's talk. Also, if you can't see someone completely turned around by a hold I don't know what to say. Your homer glasses are fully on folks.

The phantom facemask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBgptnhP9E&t=36s

The hold by 69 on 98:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8

Incorrect. Abdul ran into Abbrederis while both were going for the ball. No foul.
Same exact situation earlier in the game with Richard Rodgers, and it was called PI on the defense. It was a foul.

Well the silver lining is that there is much a higher chance that Caldwell is not the coach next year. That press conference was even more brutal than the final play.

The thing that I really find interesting is that the official that was looking right at the play (with the best view of the front of Rodgers) did not throw a flag for a facemask and appeared to be running in to tell the referee something but the referee made the facemask announcement before talking to that other official.

I really don't care one way or the other - a game like this is one that makes sports so fun and intriguing to me!

Incorrect. Abdul ran into Abbrederis while both were going for the ball. No foul.
Same exact situation earlier in the game with Richard Rodgers, and it was called PI on the defense. It was a foul.
Sure. it was EXACTLY the same.

Is a Seahawk fan still going on and on about the refereeing of a Hail Mary play?
Unfortunately, yes. He's got some balls that one.

I think he's on this one because a GB loss would have positioned the Seahawks better in the Wildcard race and now he's just all sour grapes about it.

JuniorNB said:
biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Here's your review.

Call stands.

So, you see an actual picture with the defender's finger inside the facemask, pulling Rodgers' head around, and admit that it would get called "every time", but then refer to it as the non-facemask call. And then mention someone taking a stand for their rooting interest. And accuse the NFL for fixing the outcome. lol Explain exactly how the league went about this? And how they got the Lion defender to grab the facemask and the defense to not properly cover the hail mary.
And don't forget this mysterious holding penalty that was missed that, apparently, he was the only one to see.
Well, if you want to take stills from a video and post them as evidence then I'm not sure what to say. If you decide to watch the video below and think he had a hold of the facemask the entire time, jerked his head and brought him down then let's talk. Also, if you can't see someone completely turned around by a hold I don't know what to say. Your homer glasses are fully on folks.

The phantom facemask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBgptnhP9E&t=36s

The hold by 69 on 98:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8
This is good to know, I didn't know they had to jerk the head and bring the person down by the facemask to call a facemask penalty

No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction.

If a player grasps an opponents facemask, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 14

No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction.

If a player grasps an opponents facemask, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.

There you have it. It was a bad call.

That every referee in the country would have called.

This game was lost in the first half. Not with 0.00 on the clock.

Green bay was demoralized....Rodgers had the "wtf" again look in the first half. So, instead of continuing to do what was working marvelously, we decided we were going to now become a power run team.

Caldwell must seriously have #### for brains or be so detached from reality to think j bell was going to run the clock in the 2nd qtr. 20 pts is nothing when you gift the momentum to your opponent with 2.5 qtrs left.

Morons.

I agreed. It was reminiscent of the playoff game last season. Green Bay just refused to put Seattle away. Well, shoe was on the other foot here.

Then every ref in the country needs better training. If the official doesn't know what he saw, then he needs to leave his hanky in his belt. This ref extrapolated based on the movement of the ball carrier's head. He wasn't in a position to see if the facemask was actually grasped. Doesn't excuse the complete failure to defend the Hail Mary on the following play, but officials need to stop unduly influencing the outcomes of games.

This game was lost in the first half. Not with 0.00 on the clock.

Green bay was demoralized....Rodgers had the "wtf" again look in the first half. So, instead of continuing to do what was working marvelously, we decided we were going to now become a power run team.

Caldwell must seriously have #### for brains or be so detached from reality to think j bell was going to run the clock in the 2nd qtr. 20 pts is nothing when you gift the momentum to your opponent with 2.5 qtrs left.

Morons.
Detroit passed 19 times and ran 11 times in the 2nd half, excluding the final drive. Doesn't seem like they just packed it up and ran the ball every down....

JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

The Lions or any other team need to be able to play past a bad call, BUT any call that extends the game beyond the point where it would rightfully be final should be reviewable. There is far too much at stake to leave it entirely in the hands (and eyes) of a single official. If all scoring plays are reviewed then this certainly should be as well.
I doubt it would have been overturned anyway. Although his hand did slip down to the shoulder pad, the finger was inside the facemask long enough to jerk Rodgers' head. A no call wouldn't have been overturned either. Not enough evidence either way.
Doesnt this make it a penalty anyway then??

I asked this earlier and it was glossed over, but isn't it a penalty even if he didnt grab the facemask?

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads
So the defender hits the facemask, hand slides down to shoulder pad and yanks down the runner. Thought this was illegal? Maybe I am misinterpreting the rule, but it reads pretty clear.

ETA After some searching I found some articles pointing this out. So basically Lions fans screaming for a replay review of the penalty would still be stuck figuring out how their team gave up a 61 yard hail mary. I can just see how it would go. "Upon review the facemask penalty was not warranted and that flag will be picked up(crowd goes crazy). A new flag will be issued for a horse collar tackle. 15 yards and one untimed play.(crowd freaks out and looks for new excuse)"

Then every ref in the country needs better training. If the official doesn't know what he saw, then he needs to leave his hanky in his belt. This ref extrapolated based on the movement of the ball carrier's head. He wasn't in a position to see if the facemask was actually grasped. Doesn't excuse the complete failure to defend the Hail Mary on the following play, but officials need to stop unduly influencing the outcomes of games.
Lol. The refs need training to see things at a better angle and in slow motion.

I like how Lions fans are hung up on the word "grasp". You do realize that if referees were forced to go by the dictionary definition of "grasp", then the facemask penalty would almost never get called....right?

I think another argument being advanced is that while we have rules that are designed to protect Quarterbacks (blow to the head), AR was not a QB in the pocket there. He was the third runner on a jailbreak lateral play. Several NFL RBs (ADP, Bush, Pinner) have tweeted they've had their facemask slapped or brushed every single week and it's never called. The language of rule says their must be a grasp and control. If you immediately release or if it's incidental that doesn't result in a twist/turn/push/pull, no foul.

I get why they called it, from the Umpire's vantage point the hand came across and AR turned his head. Dean Blandino and Mike Pereira said it was a good call.

I like how Lions fans are hung up on the word "grasp". You do realize that if referees were forced to go by the dictionary definition of "grasp", then the facemask penalty would almost never get called....right?
So...we shouldn't rely on the language written in the rule book? The meaning of words is unimportant when it comes to interpreting rules.

You seem to have hit on a winner here, let's expand that thought.

FTR I have no issue with the call because it would have been called consistently with pretty much every QB in any down/distance/time situation. Probably would not have been called in some running situations, but given the Ref's vantage point on that specific play, pretty much always a flag.

So...we shouldn't rely on the language written in the rule book? The meaning of words is unimportant when it comes to interpreting rules.

You seem to have hit on a winner here, let's expand that thought.
Good idea. The word "grasp" actually has several definitions in the dictionary.

And since the NFL rulebook doesn't actually specify which definition they used when writing the facemask penalty, I think Lions fans should be allowed to use whichever definition best suits their beliefs.

For example, one of the definitions of grasp is "to understand". As in, "No player shall understand the facemask of an opponent"

Fits Lions fans to a tee. :lol:

Nope, refs need to be trained not to call a penalty when they don't have the angle to see what actually happened, rather than calling a penalty based on what they think might have happened. If they don't see it with their own two eyes, then don't throw a flag. Simple...LOL

Nope, refs need to be trained not to call a penalty when they don't have the angle to see what actually happened, rather than calling a penalty based on what they think might have happened. If they don't see it with their own two eyes, then don't throw a flag. Simple...LOL
Learn to lose graciously

Learn to lose graciously
Much like the ref in question, you're making an erroneous assumption. I'm not a Lions fan. I'm a football fan. The way the NFL is being called today is bad for the game.

Learn to lose graciously
Much like the ref in question, you're making an erroneous assumption. I'm not a Lions fan. I'm a football fan. The way the NFL is being called today is bad for the game.
You're picking the wrong example to do your grandstanding with. Go find the Ravens/Jacksonville game where the league admitted it cost Baltimore the game. Why choose an example that every referee in the country would have called?

JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

The Lions or any other team need to be able to play past a bad call, BUT any call that extends the game beyond the point where it would rightfully be final should be reviewable. There is far too much at stake to leave it entirely in the hands (and eyes) of a single official. If all scoring plays are reviewed then this certainly should be as well.
I doubt it would have been overturned anyway. Although his hand did slip down to the shoulder pad, the finger was inside the facemask long enough to jerk Rodgers' head. A no call wouldn't have been overturned either. Not enough evidence either way.
Doesnt this make it a penalty anyway then??

I asked this earlier and it was glossed over, but isn't it a penalty even if he didnt grab the facemask?

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads
So the defender hits the facemask, hand slides down to shoulder pad and yanks down the runner. Thought this was illegal? Maybe I am misinterpreting the rule, but it reads pretty clear.

ETA After some searching I found some articles pointing this out. So basically Lions fans screaming for a replay review of the penalty would still be stuck figuring out how their team gave up a 61 yard hail mary. I can just see how it would go. "Upon review the facemask penalty was not warranted and that flag will be picked up(crowd goes crazy). A new flag will be issued for a horse collar tackle. 15 yards and one untimed play.(crowd freaks out and looks for new excuse)"
Could have also called Illegal Use Of Hands ("It is a foul if a defensive player thrusts his hands or arms forward above the frame of an opponent to contact him on the neck, face, or head.")

Could have also called Illegal Use Of Hands ("It is a foul if a defensive player thrusts his hands or arms forward above the frame of an opponent to contact him on the neck, face, or head.")
That is only a five yarder.
True, but the game can't end on a defensive penalty. So the Packers still would have had one final play, albeit from the 30 instead of the 40.

(But does anyone doubt that Aaron "Uncle Rico" Rodgers could have thrown that ball 71 yards??)

Is a Seahawk fan still going on and on about the refereeing of a Hail Mary play?

I think he's on this one because a GB loss would have positioned the Seahawks better in the Wildcard race and now he's just all sour grapes about it.
:lmao:

No doubt it would have helped the Seahawks, but I find it exceptionally funny that you can't take the same heat you were dishing out a few years back. But you all can keep pretending this is something that it's not and try to label it a "Seahawks fan thing".

Here's a little test that doesn't fit in every PI situation, but fits perfectly here.

Reverse the roles of the offensive and defensive player and ask yourself if offensive PI would have been called. That is, if Abbrederis was in front, and Abdul-Quddus behind, and Abbrederis had backed into A-Q while looking back for the ball, would the ref had flagged Abbrederis for offensive PI?

Of course not. So it's not a penalty when the defender does it.

No doubt it would have helped the Seahawks, but I find it exceptionally funny that you can't take the same heat you were dishing out a few years back. But you all can keep pretending this is something that it's not and try to label it a "Seahawks fan thing".
I have never tried to label it a "Seahawks fan thing" and neither did anyone else. That's just you making s##t up.

Also, what's even more exceptional is a few years ago you were also on the opposite side. Yet here you are, calling someone else out not realizing you're guilty of the same thing. That a double dose of :lmao: :lmao:

MaxThreshold said:
biju said:
MaxThreshold said:

I have never tried to label it a "Seahawks fan thing" and neither did anyone else. That's just you making s##t up.

Also, what's even more exceptional is a few years ago you were also on the opposite side. Yet here you are, calling someone else out not realizing you're guilty of the same thing. That a double dose of :lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread