What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (2 Viewers)

No - You should be ranking objectively and fairly
Sounds good. You show me a method, or unbiased scientific instrument, that measures the inherent quality and cultural influence of each record and I shall apply it. Until you do, SPLHCB remains less important to me and world-at-large than the first Ramones record. :nyah-nyah-nyah emoticon:
One of my records would clearly win the "most F-words" sub group in the category. So you know.....

YankeeFan, some of my best friends have the absolute worst taste in music I've ever heard. Some of them even like the Eagles. We'd probably get along fine.
I'm going to chime in here on The Eagles. The Eagles were one of the biggest bands of the 70's, and with good reason, they were very good. They weren't your typical rock band of the 70's either. Their music was a mixture of country and rock, and back then it was described as the Southern California sound. If their 70's albums were released for the first time in this decade, they would be one of the hottest alternative country acts around. Whether you just don't like their style of music, or you don't like them because of their past commercial success, or whatever reason you have, Hotel California is a great album, and there is not one bad song on it.

YankeeFan, some of my best friends have the absolute worst taste in music I've ever heard. Some of them even like the Eagles. We'd probably get along fine.
I'm going to chime in here on The Eagles. The Eagles were one of the biggest bands of the 70's, and with good reason, they were very good. They weren't your typical rock band of the 70's either. Their music was a mixture of country and rock, and back then it was described as the Southern California sound. If their 70's albums were released for the first time in this decade, they would be one of the hottest alternative country acts around. Whether you just don't like their style of music, or you don't like them because of their past commercial success, or whatever reason you have, Hotel California is a great album, and there is not one bad song on it.
Gigantic red X.

nice album rankings... the only two i would immediatly question are SPLHCB, which has already been covered adnasuem. The other being Thriller. Best selling album of all time by oh.. a measily 30+million copies. both should be tier 2 material if not tier 1. :twocents:

I'm going to chime in here on The Eagles. The Eagles along with Sonny and Cher, Captain and Tennile, and The Starland Vocal Band were one of the biggest bands of the 70's, and with good reason--people were uncommonly stoned back then. They weren't your typical rock band of the 70's either in that they actually failed to rock at every possible turn. Their music was a mixture of country and rock though utterly lacking the robustness of either genre, and back then it was described, as it is now, as a half-assed version of any record Gram Parsons played on. If their 70's albums were released for the first time in this decade, they would be one of the hottest alternative country acts around, for fools who haven't heard of The Flying Burrito Brothers. Whether you just don't like their style of music, or you don't like them because of their past commercial success, or whatever reason you have, Hotel California is total crap, and The Eagles, along with Jimmy Buffet, should be shot into outer space.
Fixed your post.

I'm going to chime in here on The Eagles. The Eagles along with Sonny and Cher, Captain and Tennile, and The Starland Vocal Band were one of the biggest bands of the 70's, and with good reason--people were uncommonly stoned back then. They weren't your typical rock band of the 70's either in that they actually failed to rock at every possible turn. Their music was a mixture of country and rock though utterly lacking the robustness of either genre, and back then it was described, as it is now, as a half-assed version of any record Gram Parsons played on. If their 70's albums were released for the first time in this decade, they would be one of the hottest alternative country acts around, for fools who haven't heard of The Flying Burrito Brothers. Whether you just don't like their style of music, or you don't like them because of their past commercial success, or whatever reason you have, Hotel California is total crap, and The Eagles, along with Jimmy Buffet, should be shot into outer space.
Fixed your post.
I'm in no position to defend the Eagles, but I don't think you want to tango with simey. She probably knows more about Gram Parsons, country, jazz, and music in general than just about anybody on this board.

I almost have the scupltures broken down into tiers. Should I hold off until I get the official work from timmy? Or go ahead and at least get the tiers out there?

MisfitBlondes said:
:popcorn: :thumbup: :hifive: You couldn't be anymore of a stereotype if you tried...from your struggles to gain acceptance to your complete lack of ability to see things in shades of grey.
Why do you keep repeating yourself? It's not that I can't see things in shades of grey, it's that I can't see YOU in shades of grey.

Ollie, I'd be interested in your reason for putting Tapestry in Tier 4. Outside of being one of the biggest selling albums of all time and on the charts for 6 years (which I know doesn't really make any difference) it is the only (or one of only a few) albums by a female singer, who also wrote many of the songs andwho served as godmother to a whole generation of women singer-songwriters.
I could be way off base on this one, too. Perhaps I was responding to the dozens of covers of these songs, and not the Carol King version. I'll listen, and revise.
BTW, excellent job on these albums. :thumbup:
Thanks, man! And thanks to all who are kind and patient and forgiving with their opinions of my shizzle here.

Ollie, I'd be interested in your reason for putting Tapestry in Tier 4. Outside of being one of the biggest selling albums of all time and on the charts for 6 years (which I know doesn't really make any difference) it is the only (or one of only a few) albums by a female singer, who also wrote many of the songs andwho served as godmother to a whole generation of women singer-songwriters.
I could be way off base on this one, too. Perhaps I was responding to the dozens of covers of these songs, and not the Carol King version. I'll listen, and revise.
Thanks, man! And thanks to all who are kind and patient and forgiving with their opinions of my shizzle here.
Naaaaah, you could never be way off base, Supreme Musical Man that you are

How bout your opinon of my Miles Davis Album?I know it could never be a Tier One Import, since you already have MD in there with Kind of Blue - your communistic judging style dictates so.What the Hell is "shizzle"??? Code for incompetence, bias, or something else?And you are judging short stories as well??? As Charlie Brown used to say, "ARGHHHH"

I will begin a countdown of the plays. I currently have 89 plays, waiting for 1 by thatguy. Without any further ado:

One Point Plays:

Chess

Tommy

Everyman

Play

Almost every play I am reviewing in this list is awfully good in one way or another. However, if there are any exceptions, we're going to find them here and in the 2 pointers.

Chess, as I wrote earlier, had tons of talent behind it. The composers were the two brothers that formed the "B"s in Abba, the lyricist was the great Tim Rice (whose greatest contribution as a lyricist, Evita, was not drafted) and it starred Murray Head, who was so great as Judas in the original soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar. Sadly, this work just does not hold up. The songs are average and not really memorable. It was not a bad musical, just mediocre.

I don't want to call 1776 poor either. After all, it did win the Tony Award for best musical of 1969. But it's largely forgotten now, certainly no classic, and I can only guess the reason Yankee drafted it was part of his theme. Compared to the other plays drafted, it unfortunately deserves it's poor ranking.

The Who's Tommy has some of the best music in any musical selected. Songs like "Pinball Wizard", "1921", "Sensation", "Sally Simpson" are among the best that rock music has ever offered. But they made little sense as a coherent story on the original album and they make less sense on state. This was the first attempt by theatre producers, apparently out of new material, to come up with musicals based on pop music already familiar to their audience. It's a very successful formula, as seen by this work, Mamma Mia, and many others. But it doesn't make for good theatre.

Everyman was a 17th century morality play with nothing to show for it except historical importance. There is little talent here.

Play by Samuel Beckett, is my most controversial selection for one point. It was an "art" play, with characters muttering unintelligible crap with their heads sticking out of urns. To this day, critics ponder over it's hidden meanings. I see it as analagous to Marcel Duchamp's toilet, and that's where it belongs.

Tim - I see you in here, so, d id you read my case a couple of pages earlier for The Peppers Club?? Backed with facts?If so, I hope you noted the response of the judge, which I can paraphrase with..........

"It does not matter who or how many liked it, what influence it had, who rates it # 1, 2 or 3 in history, I am putting it in the basement"
Absurd

Tim - I see you in here, so, d id you read my case a couple of pages earlier for The Peppers Club?? Backed with facts?If so, I hope you noted the response of the judge, which I can paraphrase with..........

"It does not matter who or how many liked it, what influence it had, who rates it # 1, 2 or 3 in history, I am putting it in the basement"
Absurd
:thumbup:

Two Point Plays:

Grease

Tamburlaine The Great

The Rocky Horror Show

Showboat

The Producers

Grease, IMO, is a better movie than a play, but it's also very entertaining as a play, and several of the songs are catchy. IMO, it falls below the classic musicals in both theme and content, and that's why it's here. But it's fun to watch.

I've never seen nor read Tamburlaine. From what I've been able to learn, it was one of the first "great" plays of the Elizabethan stage, yet it pales in comparison to most of what came after, including other works by Marlowe. I feel a little troubled ranking this play here, and I admit it is based on outside critics not giving it enough respect rather than any personal knowledge.

The Rocky Horror Show was also a better movie, and some of the greatness of the film is in the cult reaction. But the play features very engaging music, perhaps better 50's style rock n roll than Grease does. (My personal favorite is "Science Fiction Double Feature", which is performed rather differently from the film.) The storyline, is of course a spoof and absurd. Overall, this musical is inferior in every way to "Little Shop of Horrors", with which I think a good comparison can be made.

The greatness of Showboat is "Old Man River", which is truly one of the classic songs ever to appear on Broadway. Written by Hammerstein and Jerome Kern at the same time as the much superior "Porgy and Bess" (undrafted), these were white Jews who went to Harlem and actually listened to the music. The original production featured the great Paul Robeson, who also starred in the first film. But apart from that song, this musical is uneven. Hammerstein was just beginning his craft and would go on to much better things.

The Producers was a hilarious movie. Mel Brooks wrote the great song, "Springtime for Hitler", which is a cult classic. The Broadway show is also typical Brooks humor, and it will make you laugh long and hard, more in the manner of History of The World, Part One rather than Blazing Saddles: a lot of it is hit and miss. The problem is that Brooks throws in alongside "Springtime for Hitler" many other showtunes, all of which he wrote, none of which you will recall within 5 minutes of having heard them.

There should've been a category for best shtick
I am competitive, determined, and doggedly soI have been dunked on by some of the best ever, and was back down scoring on them in 4 or 5 seconds. You Pout, or you play.

I am driven, and love the fact that Basketball and Football are decided on the field, not like gymnastics or diving, which depends on the fairness and equity of judges.

When we lost, I lost, and I have a bitter taste, and more motivation to improve and win the next time.

I spent inumerable hours alone, shooting, dribbling, lifting, trying to get better. I hate to lose.

If striving for excellence, in any undertaking, and despising seeing some try to subvert the effort is "schtick" then I am guilty

I am competitive, determined, and doggedly soI have been dunked on by some of the best ever, and was back down scoring on them in 4 or 5 seconds. You Pout, or you play.

I am driven, and love the fact that Basketball and Football are decided on the field, not like gymnastics or diving, which depends on the fairness and equity of judges.

When we lost, I lost, and I have a bitter taste, and more motivation to improve and win the next time.

I spent inumerable hours alone, shooting, dribbling, lifting, trying to get better. I hate to lose.

If striving for excellence, in any undertaking, and despising seeing some try to subvert the effort is "schtick" then I am guilty
oh pulls out new schtick for this post. Bravo.

:thumbup: That album was not only a breakthrough for female singer-songwriters, it was a breakthrough for the singer-songwriter genre in general. Carole King is one of the most respected songwriters in music, and just listening to Tapestry it's easy to see why.

Tim - I see you in here, so, d id you read my case a couple of pages earlier for The Peppers Club?? Backed with facts?

If so, I hope you noted the response of the judge, which I can paraphrase with..........

Absurd
That's quite a paraphrase.I also disagree with the judges placement of Sgt. Pepper, but I don't see you making a good case for it. If you really want to make this argument, forget other critics and explain why you believe that Sgt. Pepper deserves first tier placement. For me, it's the innovation of the music. It continued an evolution of popular music begun on Rubber Soul, continued on Revolver and Pet Sounds and perfected on Sgt. Pepper. It's impossible to evaluate those other albums IMO without regarding Sgt. Pepper as their culmination and as the height of artistic achievement. That being said, in my own personal opinion, the Beatles would achieve their greatest musical masterpiece a few years later with Abbey Road.

I also think the first tier is too full of Jazz albums. But then again, I don't listen to Be Bop and don't really understand it.

The above is the sort of argument I would have made. But instead, unfortunately, you chose to insult the judge. You're free to do what you want, but I don't think it's going to get you anywhere, as I wrote before.

I am sorry that I was probably better than Fennis Dembo, who was a very good player. He was coached by a friend of mine, Benny Dees

I am sorry that I was probably better than Fennis Dembo, who was a very good player. He was coached by a friend of mine, Benny Dees
Better at what?

Tim - I see you in here, so, d id you read my case a couple of pages earlier for The Peppers Club?? Backed with facts?

If so, I hope you noted the response of the judge, which I can paraphrase with..........

Absurd
That's quite a paraphrase.I also disagree with the judges placement of Sgt. Pepper, but I don't see you making a good case for it. If you really want to make this argument, forget other critics and explain why you believe that Sgt. Pepper deserves first tier placement. For me, it's the innovation of the music. It continued an evolution of popular music begun on Rubber Soul, continued on Revolver and Pet Sounds and perfected on Sgt. Pepper. It's impossible to evaluate those other albums IMO without regarding Sgt. Pepper as their culmination and as the height of artistic achievement. That being said, in my own personal opinion, the Beatles would achieve their greatest musical masterpiece a few years later with Abbey Road.

I also think the first tier is too full of Jazz albums. But then again, I don't listen to Be Bop and don't really understand it.

The above is the sort of argument I would have made. But instead, unfortunately, you chose to insult the judge. You're free to do what you want, but I don't think it's going to get you anywhere, as I wrote before.
Insult?Yes, your explanation nailed it.

But this guy has made it clear he is not open to other opinion in this matter, and he has not made a salient point as to why he has it so low, save for "I want to"

At some point you have to merge personal preference with general perception, and this guy cannot see that.

Better at what?
Lets just say I played longer, and probably with more profit. A lot of it deals with getting into the right situation. Lot of luck, for all but the best.

Absurd

Tim, should the Judge not also have to make a case for ranking an album so far below conventional wisdom??The Guy has made no case just a declaration

Three Point Plays:

Gypsy

Rent

Chicago

Cats

The Sound of Music

Now it starts to get really difficult for me, because I don't want to write anything bad about the five plays, all of which I love. So I won't. They are here because the plays selected above them are a little better, that's all.

Gypsy features one of the most iconic performers in the history of stage, the immortal Ethel Merman. She belts out "Everything's Coming Up Roses" and it is even superior, IMO, to her other superlative performance of "There's No Business Like Show Business" in Annie Get Your Gun.

I saw Rent on Broadway for the first time last year, featuring Tamrya Gray of American Idol fame. It is a marvelous musical, and I'm glad it was drafted.

Chicago was Bob Fosse's second great masterpiece of the stage. His first great masterpiece, Cabaret, which is IMO one of the top 5 musicals of all time, was not selected. I also think Fosse's two incredible films, Cabaret and All That Jazz, were worthy of being drafted.

Cats is one of my all time favorite musicals. I first saw it in London in 1982 in a theatre of the round. That was it's opening production. Lloyd Webber has never been more melodic, and of course the poetry by TS Eliot is outstanding. It's a wonderful play for children to see as well. Simply magnificent.

The Sound of Music was a little better as a movie, but it's still Rodgers and Hammerstein at the height of their great partnership. Terrific story, music, songs. Really one of the great artistic partnerships to ever exist.

Absurd

I mentioned at lunch today with OH that I thought it really interesting that he has so much jazz very high. He doesn't like jazz and never listens to it, despite my efforts. (The Mingus is now an exception since he seems quite taken with it.)So much for his rankings being based solely on his personal taste. :goodposting:

Tim, should the Judge not also have to make a case for ranking an album so far below conventional wisdom??The Guy has made no case just a declaration
You're wrong about this. He did make a case. He stated that the level of greatness between the best albums was so thin that he did not want to have more than one album by the same artist. I disagree with this argument and stated why earlier. But your accusing him of just being obstinate and going with only his personal taste is far from accurate.

MisfitBlondes said:

Absurd

Why does the judge have to make a case? :confused:
If you are making a controversial decision, it would help to back it up with more than "Bacause that is what I think" - don't you think?Never trust anyone that willingly eats Vietnamese food :X

Users who are viewing this thread