What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official**** Knitting Thread (1 Viewer)

Ga Tech scrimmaged Western Kentucky and their coach was impressed with both Favors and Udofia. Shumpert did not play.
Favors is gonna be an absolute killer. I could see a situation where a team takes him # 1 over wall in the draft. (Favors plays great and leads GT further than people thing, UK struggles with youth and chemistry and Wall shows a lack of a jumper)I love watching Favors. The kid tries to dunk everything around the rim but he's got just enough of a game outside 10 feet to make you believe he could get there some day. Kinda reminds of when i saw Howard in HS (although Howard had a better body and was a lesser shooter). I would take Favors over Ed Davis, and thats not a knock against Davis.
Favors and Lawal will probably be as good a 1-2 punch as anyone has down low. But GT still needs to find an effective point guard, which will hopefully be Udofia so Shumpert can play the two. And still must find a way to win in spite of Hewitt instead of because of him. :popcorn:

Favors is gonna be an absolute killer. I could see a situation where a team takes him # 1 over wall in the draft. (Favors plays great and leads GT further than people thing, UK struggles with youth and chemistry and Wall shows a lack of a jumper)I love watching Favors. The kid tries to dunk everything around the rim but he's got just enough of a game outside 10 feet to make you believe he could get there some day. Kinda reminds of when i saw Howard in HS (although Howard had a better body and was a lesser shooter). I would take Favors over Ed Davis, and thats not a knock against Davis.
I hate Tech, but I agree 100%. I believe his wingspan is similar to Elton Brand's which is one of the things that made him such a dominant player (in both college and the pros) I expect him to win rookie of the year and be a top 3 pick next year. Once he's gone from Tech, I'll really cheer for him. :PAnd I too would take Favors over Ed Davis. Its kinda like Jordan vs Bias back in the day. Bias just had the perfect build. He was a man child. That's how I see Favors vs Davis, both great players, but Favors/Bias clearly have the bigger and stronger build.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so excited for this season, more than any other in my memory. UK starts tonight with an exhibition against Campbellsville (KY). Cal named his starting 5 for the game. CousinsPattersonDodsonMillerBledsoe
And once you add Wall to that lineup. :P

I object to the thread title. Knitting and crocheting are completely different activities that should not be conflated.

Ga Tech scrimmaged Western Kentucky and their coach was impressed with both Favors and Udofia. Shumpert did not play.
Favors and Lawal will probably be as good a 1-2 punch as anyone has down low. But GT still needs to find an effective point guard, which will hopefully be Udofia so Shumpert can play the two. And still must find a way to win in spite of Hewitt instead of because of him. :lmao:
I've been saying since May Georgia Tech was going to be good simply because of the recruits they had coming in and who they had returning. Some of the posters in this thread, well one in particular and I'm sure everyone can guess, laughed at the notion. Funny how that happens. And you are correct, it's up to Hewitt to guide this team. They have all the talent to win the conference.

I assume another shot at me, but for the record, I could easy see Tech finishing ahead of UNC. I think AT BEST, UNC finishes 3rd in the conference, and could finish much worse. Losing double digits to a team they should have easily beaten isn't a good sign of life without the refs favorite player, lawson, ellington, and green.

Favors and Lawal will probably be as good a 1-2 punch as anyone has down low. But GT still needs to find an effective point guard, which will hopefully be Udofia so Shumpert can play the two. And still must find a way to win in spite of Hewitt instead of because of him. :bowtie:
Admittedly, I do not know a lot about Lawal, but I can't imagine those 2 are better than Patterson and Cousins.

Favors and Lawal will probably be as good a 1-2 punch as anyone has down low. But GT still needs to find an effective point guard, which will hopefully be Udofia so Shumpert can play the two. And still must find a way to win in spite of Hewitt instead of because of him. :missing:
Admittedly, I do not know a lot about Lawal, but I can't imagine those 2 are better than Patterson and Cousins.
Lawal is a very good low post player. He's pretty much a lock for a double/double every game. He's a physical guy that's very very efficient down low. The downside to him is his FT shooting, but overall he's a very nice player. I only see his numbers increasing this year.

Its relevant to college basketball, just because your favorite team got embarrassed doesn't mean its trash talking. Grow up.

And you are right, it might not mean anything. In fact, since you think Roy is the Jesus of college coaching, I'm sure you are confident your team will be the best in the ACC right? So I'm happy to bet you, or any other chapel hill college fan, on the Duke-UNC games this year. No trash talking, simply willing to bet you up to $100 a game if you are so sure and confident in your team.
It's the #####, in your face, childish style in which you present yourself that turns everyone off. Very few people here like you at all. If you had a decent bone in your body, you would keep your posts in one thread and let the others that don't like you enjoy their conversation in another thread.
Thank you, RW.And since I've now had to read your posts Ripleys ... how is calling UNC "Chapel Hill College," throwing up smiley faces and LOLs at UNC's performance, and saying that a team was "embarrassed" in a scrimmage that no one saw relevant to college basketball? Feel free to explain to me how any of that is "relevant to college basketball." I'll be happy to read your next post.
I'm feeling what you're saying here for the most part, but (1) I think it's relevant when a highly-ranked team loses in the preseason - - isn't it? (2) When I first found this thread, Duke was being renamed as a matter of course. Was that just to prevent ripleys from finding the thread? Honestly, I don't care if Tar Heel fans use some misspelling of Duke if they think it's funny. :bye:

Its relevant to college basketball, just because your favorite team got embarrassed doesn't mean its trash talking. Grow up.

And you are right, it might not mean anything. In fact, since you think Roy is the Jesus of college coaching, I'm sure you are confident your team will be the best in the ACC right? So I'm happy to bet you, or any other chapel hill college fan, on the Duke-UNC games this year. No trash talking, simply willing to bet you up to $100 a game if you are so sure and confident in your team.
It's the #####, in your face, childish style in which you present yourself that turns everyone off. Very few people here like you at all. If you had a decent bone in your body, you would keep your posts in one thread and let the others that don't like you enjoy their conversation in another thread.
Thank you, RW.And since I've now had to read your posts Ripleys ... how is calling UNC "Chapel Hill College," throwing up smiley faces and LOLs at UNC's performance, and saying that a team was "embarrassed" in a scrimmage that no one saw relevant to college basketball? Feel free to explain to me how any of that is "relevant to college basketball." I'll be happy to read your next post.
I'm feeling what you're saying here for the most part, but (1) I think it's relevant when a highly-ranked team loses in the preseason - - isn't it? (2) When I first found this thread, Duke was being renamed as a matter of course. Was that just to prevent ripleys from finding the thread? Honestly, I don't care if Tar Heel fans use some misspelling of Duke if they think it's funny. :)
Maybe...maybe not. This was a scrimmage. Key word being scrimmage. Teams aren't going to show a whole lot in a scrimmage. Not saying this means UNC didn't try, which I'm sure they did. However, I'm not going to put much stock into what's done in an absolutely meaningless game. Do they have weaknesses? Absolutely, you don't lose 4 starters from a national championship team and expect them to come back and be great. The media has them ranked too high. I know that and most Tar Heel fans know that. We've been saying that for months. Some of the other Duke fans though read into and twist words around thinking all Heels fans think this team is ranked where they should be. I know TLEF doesn't think that way and I hope you don't either, but you can gather what I'm saying I hope. I will stand by my notion though that the UNC team we see in November and December will not be the same team that we see in March. I trust Roy and I think anyone with an basketball common sense knows he maximizes the most of his talent. He lost more in 2005/2006 than he did this year and we remember what heppened that year. They clearly exceeded everyone's expectations. As far as highly ranked teams losing early in teh season to unranked teams I'm pretty sure that's happened quite often. I know for a fact the Heels did lose to an unranked Santa Clara team in 2004, but they did just fine the rest of the year. Two different animals completely, but I'm sure there are plenty other examples to use.Like I said, I'm sure the Heels will have some losses and bad ones at that early on. That will be fine. Last year they started out the conference play 0-2 and fans from many teams had plenty to say. By conference season end though all I heard were crickets. All I know is to dismiss any team that RW coaches is pretty foolish. HIs track record and domination of the ACC over the past 5 years speaks for itself.

(2) When I first found this thread, Duke was being renamed as a matter of course. Was that just to prevent ripleys from finding the thread?
Yes. TSTNBN isn't inherently insulting, really.1) Vandy's going to be pretty good this year, from what I've read. I don't think much can be read into this loss, esp. since nobody really has any info. on it. UNC is going to be solid, make the Tourney, and fall short of the F4 barring everything falling into place. I don't think anyone disagrees with this. FWIW, I think UL had some close exhibition scrapes (they barely got past Georgetown College (not University)) in a pre-season game, and still ended up getting a #1 seed and making the E8.2) The SEC as a whole looks very tough, not just UK. On the flip side, I think we'll see a much more reserved LHUCKS this CBB season...Let's do the draft at brucezone.com/forums, and then just have a general discussion thread over at :e:.

Favors and Lawal will probably be as good a 1-2 punch as anyone has down low. But GT still needs to find an effective point guard, which will hopefully be Udofia so Shumpert can play the two. And still must find a way to win in spite of Hewitt instead of because of him. :)
I've been saying since May Georgia Tech was going to be good simply because of the recruits they had coming in and who they had returning. Some of the posters in this thread, well one in particular and I'm sure everyone can guess, laughed at the notion. Funny how that happens. And you are correct, it's up to Hewitt to guide this team. They have all the talent to win the conference.
I've got Tech finishing third in the conference.

Barnes set to announce his decision on ESPNU Thursday, Nov. 12 or Friday, Nov. 13.If I was a betting man, I'd put odds on Duke at this point, but only slightly. Like maybe 60/40 Duke.
it really has been strange. Everything seems to indicate that KU is a long shot, yet he went to their midnight madness. Of course, this can be chalked up to the fact that it was his official visit and they paid for it). I say 65-35 Duke over UNC.Iowa St. fans over at Rivals still think they have a shot. If i were someone who enjoyed fishing, i'd have a field day tugging at their heartstrings.
Sounds like we've got the same general feel for it from the boards and the scuttlebutt. I must say, it's been absolutely baffling. The recruitment of fun to watch, honestly. I'd say if UNC makes significant contact with Adonis Thomas over the next two weeks, we'll have our answer. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Hearing a lot of positive vibes about Thomas from a few people over the past few weeks. Still waaaay too early in the recruitment process though get a true gauge.

Yes. TSTNBN isn\'t inherently insulting, really.
In some cultures, it's a sign of respect - if you hold something in such high regard, you can\'t even say the name. :lmao:
FWIW, I think UL had some close exhibition scrapes (they barely got past Georgetown College (not University)) in a pre-season game, and still ended up getting a #1 seed and making the E8.
Scrimmages and exhibition games are just that. It\'s not that uncommon for elite teams to play nail-biter exhibitions. The Michigan Fab Five had a close game/loss in the preseason once, yet somehow they managed to recover and get to the title game. (I don\'t even remember if they won or lost the preseason game I\'m referencing, which IMO shows how important those game outcomes are.)
Michigan State lost to Grand Valley State in a a preseason game, and went on to have a pretty good year I think.

Added some more scoring info and position reqs. to the official thread at BZ. We have about 6 weeks until the fantasy season starts, so maybe start drafting 3 weeks from now, giving us 3 weeks to draft/prepare for the beginning of the short/sweet season.

Added some more scoring info and position reqs. to the official thread at BZ. We have about 6 weeks until the fantasy season starts, so maybe start drafting 3 weeks from now, giving us 3 weeks to draft/prepare for the beginning of the short/sweet season.
Start now.

On the heels of yesterday's announcement of Tubby Smith holding Mbakwe out until his situation is resolved, he announced today that Devron Bostick and Royce White have been suspended indefinitely due to breaking an "unspecified team rule."

White was a top 25 type prospect, so this sucks, and double sucks because he and Mbakwe were supposed to be the team's two power forwards. Bostick was a juco transfer last year who had some moments and whose offensive game is good, but he's a weak defender and would have struggled to find many minutes anyway.

The quote from Tubby was that it could be two games, it could be six, it could be twenty. "As long as they take care of what they have to take care of, it will be shorter." I'm guessing it's just skipping classes or something like that, but after yesterday's news the timing really sucks.

Start now.
I'm in. We're at ten now- is that everyone?
We need two more. I'll send out a reminder, and then maybe we can get rolling a week from today or so.

Start now.
We need two more. I'll send out a reminder, and then maybe we can get rolling a week from today or so.
Can I get a link to the forum to follow the draft and discussion?

Start now.
Can I get a link to the forum to follow the draft and discussion?
brucezone.com/forums

Frostillicus said:
On the heels of yesterday's announcement of Tubby Smith holding Mbakwe out until his situation is resolved, he announced today that Devron Bostick and Royce White have been suspended indefinitely due to breaking an "unspecified team rule."White was a top 25 type prospect, so this sucks, and double sucks because he and Mbakwe were supposed to be the team's two power forwards. Bostick was a juco transfer last year who had some moments and whose offensive game is good, but he's a weak defender and would have struggled to find many minutes anyway. The quote from Tubby was that it could be two games, it could be six, it could be twenty. "As long as they take care of what they have to take care of, it will be shorter." I'm guessing it's just skipping classes or something like that, but after yesterday's news the timing really sucks.
Turns out White was arrested for stealing $100 worth of merchandise from Macy's and pushing the security guard down when confronted. Way to go. Best recruit the Gophers have signed in a long time who had a checkered history, Tubby takes a chance and it looks like he lost. I have no idea if Tubby gives me another chance at this point, but it wouldn't shock me if he didn't - I wouldn't blame him at this point.

Barnes set to announce his decision on ESPNU Thursday, Nov. 12 or Friday, Nov. 13.If I was a betting man, I'd put odds on Duke at this point, but only slightly. Like maybe 60/40 Duke.
Its 100% Duke. I've said this for 2 months. Barnes, Irving, Hairston, Thorton. Should be the #1 or #2 class next year.2011 class will be just as nasty too. :thumbup:

Its 100% Duke. I've said this for 2 months. Barnes, Irving, Hairston, Thorton. Should be the #1 or #2 class next year.2011 class will be just as nasty too. :thumbup:
He apparently loved his visit to UCLA. He went with the team to check out a Laker practice and he got to meet Kobe Bryant who is his favorite player.Kobe told him that, although he'd have gone to Duke out of high school, he'd go to UCLA if he could do it all over again. He told him how great UCLA is as a school and that he would know since he takes classes there. He said go be a Bruin.Too bad for Duke.

I'm sure he did love his visit to UCLA. And yes, Kobe is his favorite player. But he'll be playing for Duke next year. :mellow:

Duke plays sloppy but wins their 2nd exhibition game against the defending national champions, 84-48. Nolan Smith will also sit out of the first 2 regular season games for playing in an unsanctioned pickup game this summer. This was enforced by K, not the NCAA.

my dad went to Fort Hays st way back in the day. They won the d-2 national title going 34-0 back in like 96. I have a commemorative T-shirt. Its pretty awesome.

my dad went to Fort Hays st way back in the day. They won the d-2 national title going 34-0 back in like 96. I have a commemorative T-shirt. Its pretty awesome.
UCD won it in 97, IIRC. Great D2 football team too, but could never crack through and take one down. Fort Hays sounds familiar.

It was 1996. The 1997 team was 29-2 and spent most of the season ranked #1 in D-II, but got upset in the D-II tourney. (GB the Internet. The Fort Hays State basketball media guide is available online in PDF form.)Last year's D-II champ was Findlay, who played TSTSNBN tonight. If I were a betting man, I'd take Findlay Prep in Nevada plus the points over Findlay D-II of Ohio.
Findlay Prep already lost Kanter, he's already been at like three high schools.

Elliot Williams had a great first game for Memphis, finished with 24 points, 6 boards , 6 assists. Very happy for him, and hope his mom is enjoying seeing him home.

I'll go on record now as saying that Kansas is going to lay a beatdown on the Bruins in December.
It could be really, really ugly.The Bruins needed a three-pointer with 16 seconds left from Mustafa Abdul-Hamid (former walk-on) to beat NAIA, Concordia College, in last night's exhibition game.Granted, projected starters, SF Michael Roll and PG Jerime Anderson, didn't play in the game, but they looked horrible. Simply terrible. And, the fact that the guys that did play hadn't really practiced all that much really showed last night. On a positive note, Frosh Tyler Honeycutt looked terrific despite not scoring. Malcolm Lee fouled out, but he looks like the type of one-on-one player that can break a defense down off the dribble that has made many UCLA fans jealous when going up against the Memphis and Florida teams the past few seasons.One nice thing for UCLA followers is that there should be literally no expectations or pressure for this team. You can just watch them play and enjoy their growth throughout the season without any nervousness because they are going to struggle.Assuming everyone returns who could return next season (which is something UCLA hasn't seen since 2004 or so), next season and the following season are when this team looks like they may be competing for national titles again. This will be a season of monster growing pains, though.

Posted this elsewhere, but.....

Turrpins beat IU-PA by 20 or so in their exhibition. Dino Gregory was held out for an unspecified "team rules" violation.

Maryland's loaded with talent & experience in the backcourt and on the wings - Vasquez, Hayes, Bowie, Milbourne, Tucker, Mosley are all starting-caliber players. The big mystery area is at the 4 & 5. Gregory really came on at the end of last season but he's only 6-7 or so & skinny. The two F bigs - Padgett & Williams - are key. Padgett appears to be a leaper/shot-blocker kind of player; Williams is beefier & is supposed to be a little more polished offensively. Both are 6-9ish.

I'm guessing at 21-22 wins, a run at 3rd in the ACC, and a 4/5 seed in the NCAAs.

There are a lot of rumblings from various sites that Harrison Barnes is now leaning to North Carolina.

everyone and their mother is claiming inside info and floating rumors (all of which say that he isn't going to Duke).

I'm avoiding commenting on all of them until Friday. Honestly, the more of them i hear, the more i think he IS going to duke.

Personally, I think he's headed to Duke and have thought that all along. Like TLEF said, there have been a lot of rumors flying around lately that point to him eliminating Duke from the picture. From hm calling Coach K and canceling plans for K to watch him work out, to K going to watch Roscoe Smith at W/S on Wednesday or Thursday night, to now Roscoe SMith apparently making a trip to Durham this weekend because Barnes is no longer in the picture. Way too many rumors floating around which is expected. I still don't buy many of them which is why I think Barnes is still going to Duke. WE'll see come Friday.

Personally, I think he's headed to Duke and have thought that all along. Like TLEF said, there have been a lot of rumors flying around lately that point to him eliminating Duke from the picture. From hm calling Coach K and canceling plans for K to watch him work out, to K going to watch Roscoe Smith at W/S on Wednesday or Thursday night, to now Roscoe SMith apparently making a trip to Durham this weekend because Barnes is no longer in the picture. Way too many rumors floating around which is expected. I still don't buy many of them which is why I think Barnes is still going to Duke. WE'll see come Friday.
the calling coach K is the best one. Basically, the rumor is that a WAITER overheard K on the phone at a restaurant. The WAITER claims that Barnes called K (I guess K yelled "HI HARRISON" loud enough for everyone in a restaurant to hear) and K got bad news and was visibly upset.Because I'm sure K takes important private phone calls like that in a public place.Seriously, anyone can make this stuff up. Its just so silly.

the calling coach K is the best one. Basically, the rumor is that a WAITER overheard K on the phone at a restaurant. The WAITER claims that Barnes called K (I guess K yelled "HI HARRISON" loud enough for everyone in a restaurant to hear) and K got bad news and was visibly upset.Because I'm sure K takes important private phone calls like that in a public place.Seriously, anyone can make this stuff up. Its just so silly.
There have been a few people saying something like this did take place. HOwever, apparently it wasn't to say Duke is not in the running, rather it was Barnes canceling the visit the next day. Again, who knows how much of this is true, but there have been some people email me, even Duke people, saying they are sure this happened but it wasn't as bad of news that is spreading.

Basically, the rumor is that a WAITER overheard K on the phone at a restaurant. The WAITER claims that Barnes called K (I guess K yelled "HI HARRISON" loud enough for everyone in a restaurant to hear) and K got bad news and was visibly upset.
:popcorn: The mental images I'm getting from this scenario are priceless, especially when I attach K's voice and "I'm pissed at the officials" face to it. Now imagine Dean Smith as the chain-smoking waiter and Gary Williams as the bleary-eyed, I'm-on-my-5th-Scotch maitre d' having seated him.

Basically, the rumor is that a WAITER overheard K on the phone at a restaurant. The WAITER claims that Barnes called K (I guess K yelled "HI HARRISON" loud enough for everyone in a restaurant to hear) and K got bad news and was visibly upset.
:goodposting: The mental images I'm getting from this scenario are priceless, especially when I attach K's voice and "I'm pissed at the officials" face to it. Now imagine Dean Smith as the chain-smoking waiter and Gary Williams as the bleary-eyed, I'm-on-my-5th-Scotch maitre d' having seated him.
:rolleyes:

When I said it did take place, I meant Barnes called to cancel the visit K had planned. Don't know where the call took place. All I know is I believe starting tomorrow begins the dead period where only one call can be made between Barnes and each university.

:rolleyes: The mental images I'm getting from this scenario are priceless, especially when I attach K's voice and "I'm pissed at the officials" face to it. Now imagine Dean Smith as the chain-smoking waiter and Gary Williams as the bleary-eyed, I'm-on-my-5th-Scotch maitre d' having seated him.
:lmao:
I think one of those Hitler videos taking off on this would be hilarious. Celph, I'm sure you know of someone who could do this...... :wall:

:lmao: The mental images I'm getting from this scenario are priceless, especially when I attach K's voice and "I'm pissed at the officials" face to it. Now imagine Dean Smith as the chain-smoking waiter and Gary Williams as the bleary-eyed, I'm-on-my-5th-Scotch maitre d' having seated him.
:lmao:
I think one of those Hitler videos taking off on this would be hilarious. Celph, I'm sure you know of someone who could do this...... :lmao:
Let's see where Barnes ends up first, I'm spending all my dork time currently getting ready for fantasy hoop. Would it be as funny if Hitler = Roy? Roy seems like he's too much of an aw-shucks yokel kind of guy for it to really match up, whereas K's pinched face and dyed/slicked hair has, on previous occasions, reminded me of AH.

Users who are viewing this thread