What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official**** Knitting Thread (1 Viewer)

This guy sounds pretty smart. Good article, at least for pro-Duke people. And he's pretty on target about the recent troubles vs the changes coming, which is definitely a good thing for the program.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12290265

"There was speculation that it would happen early this week. But it didn't. And now it seems Duke might have to wait until after Kyrie Irving attends Kentucky's Big Blue Madness to find out whether it will land the elite point guard from New Jersey.

Still, Duke should get him.

That's the word.

And if Mike Krzyzewski also lands Harrison Barnes -- Duke is widely considered the leader for Barnes, too -- then we won't be talking about the Blue Devils' Final Four drought much longer, because a core of Irving and Barnes is the type of core that would return Duke to its rightful place among the nation's truly elite basketball schools.

Yes, they're that good.

Scout.com ranks Barnes No. 1 in the Class of 2010.

Irving is ranked No. 5.

Assuming both sign with the Blue Devils, it will mark just the first and second times that Duke has landed a prospect ranked in Scout.com's top five since it got top-ranked Josh McRoberts from the Class of 2005, which brings us back to that Final Four drought. You are probably aware that the Blue Devils haven't made the Final Four since 2004, that they've made the Sweet 16 just once in the past three seasons. By Duke standards, that's bad. And it can be traced to the program's past five recruiting classes that have been nothing short of terrible.

Consider that Duke has enrolled 18 players from the past five classes.

It breaks down like this:

• Three NBA-level players (McRoberts, Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler)

• One high-level college player (Jon Scheyer)

• Two average college players (Nolan Smith, Lance Thomas)

• Four players who transferred (Taylor King, Elliot Williams, Eric Boateng, Jamal Boykin)

• Four players who were/are busts (Martynas Pocious, Brian Zoubek, Greg Paulus, Olek Czyz)

• Four players who are too young to label (Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins)

So to summarize, Duke's past five recruiting classes have produced more transfers than NBA players, more busts than All-Americans. It's a stunning statistic -- particularly when you consider that North Carolina's past five recruiting classes have produced at least eight NBA-level players (Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, Brandon Wright, Wayne Ellington, Ty Lawson, Tyler Zeller, Ed Davis, John Henson). Meantime, Kansas' past five classes have produced at least seven NBA-level players (Brandon Rush, Julian Wright, Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur, Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry), and that's why UNC and KU have consistently remained in contention for national titles.

Coach K hasn't sniffed a national title in a while.

It's a direct result, I think, of putting too much emphasis on character and intangibles -- i.e., so-called "good and smart kids" -- in recruiting and not enough emphasis on just getting badass ballers who can run and jump at an elite level. Beyond that, Duke hasn't always operated with a clear backup plan, and so when the Blue Devils missed on guys like Greg Monroe (signed with Georgetown) and Kenny Boynton (signed with Florida), there was nowhere to turn and recover.

In other words, while somebody like John Calipari will cast a wide net -- Kentucky has offered each of the top four point guards in the Class of 2010; Calipari will be thrilled to get any two of them -- Krzyzewski has a history of isolating targets and focusing almost exclusively on a handful of guys. Throughout most of the 1990s, it worked. But at some point over the past decade kids stopped automatically accepting scholarship offers from Duke over places like Georgetown and Florida, and that has clearly played a role in the slip.

But the slip is over.

Or at least it's about to be over.

It's a testament to Krzyzewski as a coach that he was able to take those recruiting classes listed above and still finish first or second in the ACC in three of the past four seasons. To do that with those players is an accomplishment. But the Blue Devils should be accomplishing more, and the Duke staff -- Krzyzewski and assistants Chris Collins, Nate James and Steve Wojciechowski -- now has the program on the verge of landing the level of prospect that it takes to do exactly that.

Make no mistake, Harrison Barnes and Kyrie Irving seem like good kids.

But that's not why they're ranked among the top five of the Class of 2010.

Rather, they're in the top five because they're ridiculously talented prospects -- arguably the best point guard (Irving) and wing (Barnes) in the nation. The word "athletic" appears in both of their "Player Evaluations" at Scout.com, and that must be a welcomed sign to Duke fans who have watched the Blue Devils spend too many games lately as the lesser-athletic team.

Bottom line, the recruiting troubles that have plagued Duke recently seem to be a thing of the past.

That means those on-the-court troubles will soon be disappearing, too."

KU guard Brady Morningstar suspended for the 1st semester after a DUI. He was a starter last year, but missing 1st semester games will keep him out of the Memphis game, and most likely UCLA as well. The rest of their games are cream puffs through that point.

KU guard Brady Morningstar suspended for the 1st semester after a DUI. He was a starter last year, but missing 1st semester games will keep him out of the Memphis game, and most likely UCLA as well. The rest of their games are cream puffs through that point.
The hits keep coming for the Jayhawks offseason. Morningstar started at third guard/SF last season, but was expected to get bumped to the bench by Xavier Henry. When Tyshawn Taylor dislocated his thumb in the campus brawls with the football team, Morningstar was expected to get Taylor's spot for the first few games if Taylor wasn't ready. Morningstar will miss the the games against Memphis and UCLA. The common understanding is the first game Morningstar will be eligible to play is the 12/19 game against Michigan (last day of fall finals at KU is 12/17), but that hasn't been confirmed. Self put a curfew on the team after the brawls, so Morningstar has more than the Douglas County DA's office to answer to here. Since Morningstar is bench player that started last year and is not an NBA prospect at all, he would be a convenient sacrificial lamb to kick off the team completely if the coaching staff and athletic department wants to show they are in charge.

Late night with Roy is 10/16. Can't wait for it to get here. Same day the book comes out as well. College hoops is just around the corner. Really looking forward to the fantasy hoops league as well. A lot of great posters with a lot of hoops knowledge in it.

it will be so super awesome if Calipari gets them to a final 4 and they end up vacating it.

The funny thing is, before Calipari got there, i had no hatred at all for UK. When i was little, i always admired Pitino's teams and loved watching them play. (they were nasty in Fox College Hoops 99 on the Nintendo 64). But with Calipari arriving, the fans have gorwn unbelievably obnoxious (read the Rivals national recruiting board, its absolutely brutal). any time a player who has even mentioned Kentucky picks his nose, it turns into a 3 page Calipari circle jerk. Of course, when a non UK fan responds, they get the standard "Go away haters" or "Ya'll just jealous cuz the Cats are BACK!!!".

Of course, they havent won a thing yet. (and i dont think they will win a title this year)

Some Example of Topics UK fans have started on the rivals national board (First page only)

C'MON MAN - National recruiting board edition

I'll start.

KU fans think that they have a better line-up of recruits for their MM than UK does...

C'MON MAN!!

Gilchrist reportedly to attend UK's Madness...

KU fans still think they have a better list of attendee's?

2011 Quincy Miller to UK Midnight Madness...

per his tweet. Kinda surprised at this revelation

***Confirmed list of UK Big Blue Madness visitors***

5* C.J. Leslie

5* Tobias Harris

5* Kyrie Irving

5* Mike Gilchrist

5* Marquis Teague

5* Quincy Miller

4* Angel Nunez

4* Achraf Yacoubou

UK BBM list is going to grow ( Merge with Miller thread)

As I posted the other day stay tuned. There will be at least one more name today other then Nunez

These are all about players that are attending a PRACTICE!!! There are at least 3 or 4 more.

TobiasFunke said:
No one on this thread loves college basketball enough.

Kentucky fans are lining up two weeks early for Midnight Madness: http://rushthecourt.net/2009/10/02/now-this-is-madness/
... for the Saturday, October 3rd ticket distribution.
These fans are morons, but they're not nearly the morons you made them out to be.
Mea culpa. I did not give the story a close enough read. And I wasn't really trying to call them morons as much as just being incredulous at their devotion. I thought I loved my team, but I apparently don't have the proper level of devotion.

it will be so super awesome if Calipari gets them to a final 4 and they end up vacating it. The funny thing is, before Calipari got there, i had no hatred at all for UK. When i was little, i always admired Pitino's teams and loved watching them play. (they were nasty in Fox College Hoops 99 on the Nintendo 64). But with Calipari arriving, the fans have gorwn unbelievably obnoxious (read the Rivals national recruiting board, its absolutely brutal). any time a player who has even mentioned Kentucky picks his nose, it turns into a 3 page Calipari circle jerk. Of course, when a non UK fan responds, they get the standard "Go away haters" or "Ya'll just jealous cuz the Cats are BACK!!!". Of course, they havent won a thing yet. (and i dont think they will win a title this year)
:wub: I love watching Pitino college teams play. I rooted for UK in the early Pitino days because of Jamal Mashburn. Back in the day, I saw Mashburn play in the national U12 AAU championships (his NY Gauchos got the the semifinals; Mashburn was already about 6'4" and was the best player in the tourney; my team got knocked out in pool play). I wrote down Mashburn's name and saved it so I could say I saw him before he was famous. Kentucky was fun to use on the first Sega Genesis college basketball game, too: Delk, Walker, McCarty, Sheppard, Riddick, Paggett, a couple other useful players. I think that game was from the 1995 season. UCLA had both O'Bannons, Arkansas had Corliss and Thurman, UMass had Roe and Camby, and Duke sucked. KU superfans aren't exactly paragons of objectivity, so I shouldn't complain about UK fans too often... but damn.

I think UK fans have always been fairly obnoxious. They flooded the Connecticut board (pre-Calipari) while UConn was battling it out with them for Majok, and almost all of them came across like...well, you know.

That said, I think I'm looking forward to seeing them play more than anyone except UConn.

it will be so super awesome if Calipari gets them to a final 4 and they end up vacating it. The funny thing is, before Calipari got there, i had no hatred at all for UK. When i was little, i always admired Pitino's teams and loved watching them play. (they were nasty in Fox College Hoops 99 on the Nintendo 64). But with Calipari arriving, the fans have gorwn unbelievably obnoxious (read the Rivals national recruiting board, its absolutely brutal). any time a player who has even mentioned Kentucky picks his nose, it turns into a 3 page Calipari circle jerk. Of course, when a non UK fan responds, they get the standard "Go away haters" or "Ya'll just jealous cuz the Cats are BACK!!!". Of course, they havent won a thing yet. (and i dont think they will win a title this year)
:X I love watching Pitino college teams play. I rooted for UK in the early Pitino days because of Jamal Mashburn. Back in the day, I saw Mashburn play in the national U12 AAU championships (his NY Gauchos got the the semifinals; Mashburn was already about 6'4" and was the best player in the tourney; my team got knocked out in pool play). I wrote down Mashburn's name and saved it so I could say I saw him before he was famous. Kentucky was fun to use on the first Sega Genesis college basketball game, too: Delk, Walker, McCarty, Sheppard, Riddick, Paggett, a couple other useful players. I think that game was from the 1995 season. UCLA had both O'Bannons, Arkansas had Corliss and Thurman, UMass had Roe and Camby, and Duke sucked. KU superfans aren't exactly paragons of objectivity, so I shouldn't complain about UK fans too often... but damn.
Coach K college basketball. GREAT game. Only problem was both Ricky Price for Duke and Charlie Miller for Indiana were unstoppable, and Doron Sheffer probably shot about 50% from half court.

I don't really get the cause for the hatred TLEF. You say you enjoyed the Pitino teams, yet you are rooting against UK now. Pitino and Cal are basically the same guy. The both have the charm and know how to play the game. This helps them win over the fans, as well as being a huge part of landing recruits. And please don't say anything about Pitino running a clean program. He is just as questionable as Cal. As far as the UK fans, I have shared this perspective before, but I will refresh your memory. The majority (closer to 51% than 99%) EXPECT a title every year. Thjis is crazy and nonsensical of course, but that is how it is. I doubt that will ever change for some UK fans. I am sure Duke, NC, UCLA etc have these types of fans as well, but likely not as many. They can be called rabid, delusional, whatever. All UK fans have been in a depression of sorts since Pitino left. We fell in love with the slick style of play, the big names recruits and of course, the F4s. Tubby was a great coach, but he was never going to be able to live up to what Pitino brought back to UK. To many fans, Cal can (and already has). We have been an afterthought for the past couple of years and now that we are back in the limelight, fans are overreacting. I will not defend some of these fans, they are crazy. But, it is not all of us. Just remember that when you pull out that broad brush. :shrug:

Kentucky fans are lining up two weeks early for Midnight Madness: http://rushthecourt.net/2009/10/02/now-this-is-madness/
The best part was seeing Cal and the team so involved in the process. They woke up many fans one day last week with breakfast from McDonald's. Then, on Friday night, Cal and his son camped out with the fans until 3 AM. Obviously, a huge part of this was for PR reasons, but at least he is trying not out hitting on coeds and getting DUIs like the last guy.

I don't really get the cause for the hatred TLEF. You say you enjoyed the Pitino teams, yet you are rooting against UK now. Pitino and Cal are basically the same guy. The both have the charm and know how to play the game. This helps them win over the fans, as well as being a huge part of landing recruits. And please don't say anything about Pitino running a clean program. He is just as questionable as Cal. As far as the UK fans, I have shared this perspective before, but I will refresh your memory. The majority (closer to 51% than 99%) EXPECT a title every year. Thjis is crazy and nonsensical of course, but that is how it is. I doubt that will ever change for some UK fans. I am sure Duke, NC, UCLA etc have these types of fans as well, but likely not as many. They can be called rabid, delusional, whatever. All UK fans have been in a depression of sorts since Pitino left. We fell in love with the slick style of play, the big names recruits and of course, the F4s. Tubby was a great coach, but he was never going to be able to live up to what Pitino brought back to UK. To many fans, Cal can (and already has). We have been an afterthought for the past couple of years and now that we are back in the limelight, fans are overreacting. I will not defend some of these fans, they are crazy. But, it is not all of us. Just remember that when you pull out that broad brush. :popcorn:
I'm just going off what i see on the Rivals boards (i realize thats a very small portion of the fans, but its the portion i'm exposed to the most). I'm not saying All UK fans are like that, but because i have to put up with those that are, i want to see them lose. I really just dont see the Calpiari-Pitino comparison. Yeah, Pitino is probably not completely clean (in reality, i'm guessing no coaches are). However, Calipari is basically spitting in the face of everything college athletics is suposed to be. He's got a power broker feeding him 1 and done recruits (several of which are from questionable academic backgrounds) and he's simply selling the fastest possible road to the NBA. Its a team of mercenaries that he's hoping to keep eligible long enough to raise a banner that will actually hold up for a few years. The guy is a total slimeball. I know that college football and basketball is big business. I know it isnt true amateur competition. But at least other coaches attempt tp put up a facade that they are trying. Calipari doesnt seem to be doing that. The fact that a guy like that can have 2 final 4's vacated (running out ahead of the punishment both times) and still get a job at a top 5 program, simply because he can bring in recruits....It just makes me sad. IMO, what Calipari is doing at Memphis is 100% against the spirt of college sports. I know thats being naive and very idealistic, but thats how i feel. And honestly, even with all that, I'd probably be ok with UK fans if they just came out and said "we want to win at all costs. We dont care how we get there." and rooted for their team. Instead, they (again, the UK fans that i am forced to deal with, which probably dont represent the majority of your fan base. ) play the "Calipari was never punished" and "Eric Bledsoe passed his classes like everyone else" cards. Add in the fact that they go around to other teams' message boards bragging about it and claiming everyone is jealous of them, and its just too much to swallow.

Kentucky fans are lining up for Midnight Madness: http://rushthecourt.net/2009/10/02/now-this-is-madness/
It's always this way once reality sets in on their football team... :thumbup: At least this year they have a great shot to beat Tennessee.

J
Hey, it does not take us long to give up on football season. I am now convinced that we will never beat UT in football.
Don't give up yet, Jeter. We're not very good this year.J

I don't really get the cause for the hatred TLEF. You say you enjoyed the Pitino teams, yet you are rooting against UK now. Pitino and Cal are basically the same guy. The both have the charm and know how to play the game. This helps them win over the fans, as well as being a huge part of landing recruits. And please don't say anything about Pitino running a clean program. He is just as questionable as Cal. As far as the UK fans, I have shared this perspective before, but I will refresh your memory. The majority (closer to 51% than 99%) EXPECT a title every year. Thjis is crazy and nonsensical of course, but that is how it is. I doubt that will ever change for some UK fans. I am sure Duke, NC, UCLA etc have these types of fans as well, but likely not as many. They can be called rabid, delusional, whatever. All UK fans have been in a depression of sorts since Pitino left. We fell in love with the slick style of play, the big names recruits and of course, the F4s. Tubby was a great coach, but he was never going to be able to live up to what Pitino brought back to UK. To many fans, Cal can (and already has). We have been an afterthought for the past couple of years and now that we are back in the limelight, fans are overreacting. I will not defend some of these fans, they are crazy. But, it is not all of us. Just remember that when you pull out that broad brush. :shrug:
I'm just going off what i see on the Rivals boards (i realize thats a very small portion of the fans, but its the portion i'm exposed to the most). I'm not saying All UK fans are like that, but because i have to put up with those that are, i want to see them lose. I really just dont see the Calpiari-Pitino comparison. Yeah, Pitino is probably not completely clean (in reality, i'm guessing no coaches are). However, Calipari is basically spitting in the face of everything college athletics is suposed to be. He's got a power broker feeding him 1 and done recruits (several of which are from questionable academic backgrounds) and he's simply selling the fastest possible road to the NBA. Its a team of mercenaries that he's hoping to keep eligible long enough to raise a banner that will actually hold up for a few years. The guy is a total slimeball. I know that college football and basketball is big business. I know it isnt true amateur competition. But at least other coaches attempt tp put up a facade that they are trying. Calipari doesnt seem to be doing that. The fact that a guy like that can have 2 final 4's vacated (running out ahead of the punishment both times) and still get a job at a top 5 program, simply because he can bring in recruits....It just makes me sad. IMO, what Calipari is doing at Memphis is 100% against the spirt of college sports. I know thats being naive and very idealistic, but thats how i feel. And honestly, even with all that, I'd probably be ok with UK fans if they just came out and said "we want to win at all costs. We dont care how we get there." and rooted for their team. Instead, they (again, the UK fans that i am forced to deal with, which probably dont represent the majority of your fan base. ) play the "Calipari was never punished" and "Eric Bledsoe passed his classes like everyone else" cards. Add in the fact that they go around to other teams' message boards bragging about it and claiming everyone is jealous of them, and its just too much to swallow.
Don't get me wrong, much of what I read on UK message boards makes me roll my eyes too, but I just feel like every team has these kind of fans. UK's are probably more easy to spot and tougher to deal with because the losses of the past couple of years have shut them up. Now, they are ready to stir it up again. I do well to check in at UKs forum, along with this discussion, there is no way I am going to waste time going to other team's MBs just to pick a fight. Pretty dumb if you ask me, but some enjoy that, even some that are posting in this thread.As far as my view of the program. I actually agree with you on much of it. I probably would not use the word mercenaries, but I see why you did. And as a UK fan, I am okay with this. I wish things were nice and clean at UK and all CBB programs, but they are not, never will be. I decided that before Cal came, he changed nothing for me, in that sense. I can either give up on the sport, as many have done with baseball, or choose to ignore/forget about all the shady deals that are going on at EVERY school.

thats fair. At least you're honest about it. Everyone wants to win and EVERYONE is doing or has done something somewhat shady at some point.

And "mercenaries" may not be fair (because as far as we know, they arent getting paid) but thats what it feels like. When you bring in 3 guys in 1 year that have absolutely ZERO desire to or chance of graduating (Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe, plus he wanted Henry) and all those guys were ready to sign with you at another school, you're declaring your intentions pretty clearly.

I know you guys hate Ripleys, so here's a comparison...... Imagine a message board with 25 Ripley's, starting 10 threads a day and turning every thread you start into a flame fest between 2 fanbases. Thats basically what it has become over on rivals (which is why this board is generally so great and why i'm looking forward to our fantasy league so much)

and on a Duke-Related note, Coach K's in-home with Barnes is tonight. I doubt we get any significant news though. He'll play it close to the vest, say everything is great and make a decision after his official.

Coach K college basketball. GREAT game. Only problem was both Ricky Price for Duke and Charlie Miller for Indiana were unstoppable, and Doron Sheffer probably shot about 50% from half court.
:mellow: Tracked it down online for the Sega Genesis emulator. The Coach K branding explains why UNC, past or present, is not in the game. It was a damn shame that Voshon Lenard, Chad Kolander, and Townsend Orr didn't make the cartridge.

TLEF316 said:
thats fair. At least you're honest about it. Everyone wants to win and EVERYONE is doing or has done something somewhat shady at some point. And "mercenaries" may not be fair (because as far as we know, they arent getting paid) but thats what it feels like. When you bring in 3 guys in 1 year that have absolutely ZERO desire to or chance of graduating (Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe, plus he wanted Henry) and all those guys were ready to sign with you at another school, you're declaring your intentions pretty clearly.I know you guys hate Ripleys, so here's a comparison...... Imagine a message board with 25 Ripley's, starting 10 threads a day and turning every thread you start into a flame fest between 2 fanbases. Thats basically what it has become over on rivals (which is why this board is generally so great and why i'm looking forward to our fantasy league so much)
I think almost every school would bring in that type of talent, regardless of their intentions to graduate, if they could.

TLEF316 said:
thats fair. At least you're honest about it. Everyone wants to win and EVERYONE is doing or has done something somewhat shady at some point. And "mercenaries" may not be fair (because as far as we know, they arent getting paid) but thats what it feels like. When you bring in 3 guys in 1 year that have absolutely ZERO desire to or chance of graduating (Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe, plus he wanted Henry) and all those guys were ready to sign with you at another school, you're declaring your intentions pretty clearly.I know you guys hate Ripleys, so here's a comparison...... Imagine a message board with 25 Ripley's, starting 10 threads a day and turning every thread you start into a flame fest between 2 fanbases. Thats basically what it has become over on rivals (which is why this board is generally so great and why i'm looking forward to our fantasy league so much)
I think almost every school would bring in that type of talent, regardless of their intentions to graduate, if they could.
I agree, I can not think of a coach that would turn those guys down. I do know some, like UK's former coach Tubby Smith, who focus more on likely 3 and 4 year players, but no one would pass on those guys because they are potential one year players.

Some Example of Topics UK fans have started on the rivals national board (First page only)

C'MON MAN - National recruiting board edition

I'll start.

KU fans think that they have a better line-up of recruits for their MM than UK does...

C'MON MAN!!

Gilchrist reportedly to attend UK's Madness...

KU fans still think they have a better list of attendee's?

2011 Quincy Miller to UK Midnight Madness...

per his tweet. Kinda surprised at this revelation

***Confirmed list of UK Big Blue Madness visitors***

5* C.J. Leslie

5* Tobias Harris

5* Kyrie Irving

5* Mike Gilchrist

5* Marquis Teague

5* Quincy Miller

4* Angel Nunez

4* Achraf Yacoubou

UK BBM list is going to grow ( Merge with Miller thread)

As I posted the other day stay tuned. There will be at least one more name today other then Nunez

These are all about players that are attending a PRACTICE!!! There are at least 3 or 4 more.
Let's also give credit to Cal for being very shrewd. I imagine that he told Irving to at least visit UK before he committed, to give UK a fighting shot. And this event is, in all probability, going to be completely insane.And let's be honest: UK has hotter girls. Unless Duke brought in a ringer(s) (I always imagine you get two, like Jesus Shuttleworth did in He Got Game), the UK "experience" will probably be better.

Let's also give credit to Cal for being very shrewd. I imagine that he told Irving to at least visit UK before he committed, to give UK a fighting shot. And this event is, in all probability, going to be completely insane.And let's be honest: UK has hotter girls. Unless Duke brought in a ringer(s) (I always imagine you get two, like Jesus Shuttleworth did in He Got Game), the UK "experience" will probably be better.
:X World Wide Wes probably holds the video camera and lets the recruit take home a DVD of said "experience". That's one category where KU will always lag behind other CBB historical powers like Kentucky and UCLA. If there were more dimes matriculating in Lawrence, maybe 30 football and basketball players wouldn't be having multiple fights over one of them - there just aren't enough on campus to meet the demand.

:X World Wide Wes probably holds the video camera and lets the recruit take home a DVD of said "experience". That's one category where KU will always lag behind other CBB historical powers like Kentucky and UCLA. If there were more dimes matriculating in Lawrence, maybe 30 football and basketball players wouldn't be having multiple fights over one of them - there just aren't enough on campus to meet the demand.
I thought KU was chock-full of hot Midwestern babes. And the girls that Cranbrulet tries to hook up with.

:goodposting: World Wide Wes probably holds the video camera and lets the recruit take home a DVD of said "experience". That's one category where KU will always lag behind other CBB historical powers like Kentucky and UCLA. If there were more dimes matriculating in Lawrence, maybe 30 football and basketball players wouldn't be having multiple fights over one of them - there just aren't enough on campus to meet the demand.
I thought KU was chock-full of hot Midwestern babes. And the girls that Cranbrulet tries to hook up with.
:lmao: I'm pretty sure Cranbrulet is a K-State guy, trolling the chicks that Michael Beasley and Josh Freeman broke in half during their time in Manhattan.In conference, KU is a distant third in the babe department behind Texas and Oklahoma. If you're into hippie chicks and/or rock climbers, Colorado is ahead of KU, too. KU is at the top of a tier with Colorado, Nebraska (surprisingly solid top range, but not a deep field), A&M, Mizzou, and Tech. Baylor, Iowa State, and K-State are the bottomfeeders.

:lmao: World Wide Wes probably holds the video camera and lets the recruit take home a DVD of said "experience". That's one category where KU will always lag behind other CBB historical powers like Kentucky and UCLA. If there were more dimes matriculating in Lawrence, maybe 30 football and basketball players wouldn't be having multiple fights over one of them - there just aren't enough on campus to meet the demand.
I hate to take any due credit away from the program/coaching staff, but I really think this is a major reason that The U is suddenly becoming a player for some of the top players. If you know you are only playing one year of college ball and only going to class through November, why not do it in a major conference in South Beach?

ESPN has teamed w/ Sagarin to compile an all time ranking of each program.

Here is what they came up with:

1. Kentucky

2. UCLA

3. Kansas

4. UNC

5. Indiana

6. Illinois??

7. Duke

8. Purdue

9. Ohio St

10. Iowa???

I like anything that has UK #1, but this seems off in general. How are Illinois, Iowa, Purdue ahead of Louisville and Mich St?

ESPN has teamed w/ Sagarin to compile an all time ranking of each program. Here is what they came up with:1. Kentucky2. UCLA3. Kansas4. UNC5. Indiana6. Illinois??7. Duke8. Purdue9. Ohio St10. Iowa???I like anything that has UK #1, but this seems off in general. How are Illinois, Iowa, Purdue ahead of Louisville and Mich St?
Were they good in the 1930's or something?

ESPN has teamed w/ Sagarin to compile an all time ranking of each program. Here is what they came up with:1. Kentucky2. UCLA3. Kansas4. UNC5. Indiana6. Illinois??7. Duke8. Purdue9. Ohio St10. Iowa???I like anything that has UK #1, but this seems off in general. How are Illinois, Iowa, Purdue ahead of Louisville and Mich St?
Illinois is only 13th in wins. They've been to five Final Fours, but three of those were from 1949-1592. They have never won the title. I don't get it.

I found part of the answer. As part of his formula, Sagarin counted tourney wins as double, but gave no extra points for F4s or titles.

6. Illinois??7. DukeIllinois is only 13th in wins. They've been to five Final Fours, but three of those were from 1949-1592. They have never won the title. I don't get it.
Love stuff like this. The hate for Duke is becoming comical and legendary. Duke is 4th all time for most wins , 3rd most Final Four appearances (14), and 3 NCAA Championships, but Illinois is better. :popcorn: :hifive: :lmao:

Don't understand the Illinois ranking. Half of the Big Ten in the top 10? Really strange. I know back in the day Ohio State had a solid program, but not understanding the rationale. The top 5 are no brainers, but I think UNC should be ahead of Kansas. More wins and more titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
6. Illinois??7. DukeIllinois is only 13th in wins. They've been to five Final Fours, but three of those were from 1949-1592. They have never won the title. I don't get it.
Love stuff like this. The hate for Duke is becoming comical and legendary. Duke is 4th all time for most wins , 3rd most Final Four appearances (14), and 3 NCAA Championships, but Illinois is better. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
There is no hate here Rip, it is a formula. Based on results, we can say it is a flawed formula, but there is no bias, IMO.

My rankings would be like this...

1. UK

2. UNC

3. UCLA

4. Kansas

5. Duke

6. Indiana

7. Louisville

I think there is a drop after these teams to schools like MSU, Syr, UCONN, Ohio St etc.

My rankings would be like this...1. UK2. UNC3. UCLA4. Kansas5. Duke6. Indiana7. LouisvilleI think there is a drop after these teams to schools like MSU, Syr, UCONN, Ohio St etc.
I know UCLA has won only one title in the last 35 seasons, but I'd still have to rank them ahead of UNC. Their dominance during the Wooden era was just amazing. And Indiana hasn't done much of anything since 1987 except two Final Four appearances with one of those being for the national title, but still I'd put them ahead of Duke all time.

Love stuff like this. The hate for Duke is becoming comical and legendary. Duke is 4th all time for most wins , 3rd most Final Four appearances (14), and 3 NCAA Championships, but Illinois is better. :eek: :thumbup: :thumbup:
There is no hate here Rip, it is a formula. Based on results, we can say it is a flawed formula, but there is no bias, IMO.
Well I'd love to know the formula that puts Illinois ahead of Duke. I mean, seriously, they don't have ONE STATISTICAL category that bests Duke. Duke has more total wins, final fours, ncaa championships, conference titles, I mean, what criteria are they using here? And while I think Duke should be ahead of Indiana too, at least based on the last 25-30 years, I have no problem seeing IU higher because of the 5 titles (even though they have been almost irrelevant the last 2 decades)

Terrence Jones, 13th ranked player in the class of 2010, announced his 5 official visits, plus an unofficial include: Arz, Okla, UK, Oreg, UCLA, Wash

He had his list narrowed down to 7 schools, the only one he seemingly has no plans in visiting in Kansas.

Apparently Roy Williams is at the Barnes house again tonight and many sources say this was coordinated by the Barnes camp. I thought coaches could only make one in home visit, but apparently that's not the case.

Love stuff like this. The hate for Duke is becoming comical and legendary. Duke is 4th all time for most wins , 3rd most Final Four appearances (14), and 3 NCAA Championships, but Illinois is better. :goodposting: :lmao: :lmao:
Well I'd love to know the formula that puts Illinois ahead of Duke. I mean, seriously, they don't have ONE STATISTICAL category that bests Duke. Duke has more total wins, final fours, ncaa championships, conference titles, I mean, what criteria are they using here? And while I think Duke should be ahead of Indiana too, at least based on the last 25-30 years, I have no problem seeing IU higher because of the 5 titles (even though they have been almost irrelevant the last 2 decades)
Like I said, a flawed formula IMO. Ill should not even be in the top 10, let alone ahead of Duke and some others.

Apparently Roy Williams is at the Barnes house again tonight and many sources say this was coordinated by the Barnes camp. I thought coaches could only make one in home visit, but apparently that's not the case.
yeah, i really don't know what to think of this (don't even know if its true)If Barnes seriously scheduled this, i don't even know what to say. That's about as disrespectful as it gets IMO.

From the article on ESPN about the rankings...

ESPN empowered noted computer guru Jeff Sagarin to pump figures into his hard drive, looking strictly at wins and losses, scoring margin and a rating that is the combination of the two. Sagarin looked back at the past 72 years of the sport to spit out Kentucky as No. 1, two percentage points ahead of UCLA

I guess they are so used to college football. Sorry Rip, I guess Duke did not win by enough.

yeah, i really don't know what to think of this (don't even know if its true)If Barnes seriously scheduled this, i don't even know what to say. That's about as disrespectful as it gets IMO.
How is that disrespectful? Sorry if i missed something in previous discussion about his recruitment.

Terrence Jones, 13th ranked player in the class of 2010, announced his 5 official visits, plus an unofficial include: Arz, Okla, UK, Oreg, UCLA, WashHe had his list narrowed down to 7 schools, the only one he seemingly has no plans in visiting in Kansas.
Jones will make an unofficial visit to Lawrence, but KU is spending more time on Adrien Payne. It's safe to say KU is running 7th in this race right now. My gut says Jones will stay out west. He's sort of related to Damon and Salim Stoudamire (cousins by marriage), and Arizona has an immediate need at forward, so if I had to guess today, I'd say Arizona will get him.

I'm sure there will be rumors flying from both sides (Duke and UNC) as to which camp set this up. Was it UNC or was it Barnes? My email was flooded tonight saying it was from the Barnes camp, but at this point it's pure speculation. Could it be Barnes camp giving UNC one last chance to win him over? Could it be he's telling them thanks but no thanks? No one knows.

Users who are viewing this thread