What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Lions Draft Warroom*** (1 Viewer)

Hendo

Footballguy
anyone else think this pick was a big reach? and has alot of concerns with his 5 concussions in college...

i dont think he was worth anywhere around top 10 talent and could of been had for the lions in the mid round.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone else think this pick was a big reach? and has alot of concerns with his 5 concussions in college...

i dont think he was worth anywhere around top 10 talent and could of been had for the lions in the mid round.
Great pick and lets hope they can keep Lehman and Bailey on the field

Before Leinart fell, I thought Sims would be headed to Arizona at #10 or the Eagles at #14 if he didn't go to the Lions

Reach.

Lions should've traded with Denver at #15 and an extra pick, then take the BPA.
easier said than done.
apparently it's a piece of cake. you just call up a team and tell them you're trading down with them. they have no choice in the matter.

Reach.

easier said than done.
apparently it's a piece of cake. you just call up a team and tell them you're trading down with them. they have no choice in the matter.
I should've prefaced what the Lions "should've" done by saying that's what I was hoping would happen.Notice Denver did end up trading up, just not with the Lions.

was he really viewed as a top 10 talent tho? alot of people had Greenway over him. he has talent but top 10? he is very small 5'11 and his brain is almost mush.

just seems way too risky to me

Reach.

easier said than done.
I should've prefaced what the Lions "should've" done by saying that's what I was hoping would happen.Notice Denver did end up trading up, just not with the Lions.
yeah but it has been rumored stl. liked cutler (maybe a good smoke screen by stl. front office). Once Leinert was off the board Denver didn't have a choice if they were hoping he would slip.

Reach.

easier said than done.
yeah but it has been rumored stl. liked cutler (maybe a good smoke screen by stl. front office). Once Leinert was off the board Denver didn't have a choice if they were hoping he would slip.
I agree, Denver played it just right.I'm still stewing about the fact that the Lions would've had Bush drop in their laps if they'd only been slightly more inept in 2005.

:wall:

With 5 concussions, the only draft Ernie Sims should be going Top 10 in is a death pool.
:goodposting:
Yeah...Lions always seem to draft pretty risky players. I'm just hoping that they had him examined pretty rigorously by doctors if they took him this high.
I hope so. It'd be great if he could pan out because on the football side it looks like he could be a pretty decent player. Concussions are bad news though. Each one makes the next one that more likely.

Millen and Marinelli were just on 1130. I could be wrong but it sounded like Whitner was the guy they wanted.

From Killer:

Sims makes perfect sense

While some fans believed Sims would last until the middle of the first round, that simply isn't true. Sims was very highly rated and the Lions were not going to trade out of that pick unless they were able to rob somebody.

In Rod Marinelli's new defense, an effective and playmaking weakside linebacker is a must and Sims fits that role. Because of his ability in coverage and dropping back in zones, he'll be part of Detroit's nickel package.

In some ways, Sims will help Detroit's defense more than A.J. Hawk because he'll be on the field for all downs.

Millen and Marinelli were just on 1130. I could be wrong but it sounded like Whitner was the guy they wanted.
interesting if true
Yeah, they were asked if there were any surprises before their pick and they noted Whitner right away. Just sensed some disappointment in the tone when talking about Whitner. But obviously they were pimping Simms too.

From Killer:

Sims makes perfect sense

While some fans believed Sims would last until the middle of the first round, that simply isn't true. Sims was very highly rated and the Lions were not going to trade out of that pick unless they were able to rob somebody.

In Rod Marinelli's new defense, an effective and playmaking weakside linebacker is a must and Sims fits that role. Because of his ability in coverage and dropping back in zones, he'll be part of Detroit's nickel package.

In some ways, Sims will help Detroit's defense more than A.J. Hawk because he'll be on the field for all downs.
Finally something positive.

does he have good tackling technique? if he has recieved that many concussions i'd have to think not?

does he have good tackling technique? if he has recieved that many concussions i'd have to think not?
"The biggest thing that hinders his production is his tendency to play too aggressive and get out of control at times, because this leads Sims to jumping on fakes and missing too many tackles. " quoted from nfl.com

Fairly high risk-reward proposition with Sims but I am going to give the Lions medical and sports sciences staff a little credit. I like the pick.

i'd like to see them target Gilles in the 2nd myself.

really they didnt have any options after hawk and Huff were both gone but to me i would of liked to see them get Bunkley then maybe go D'Qwell in the 2nd.

The 5 concussions is only talk. Kiper was on local radio yesterday and said that from the people he had talked with that there was only 1 noted concussion while sims was at FSU. He then said, almost directly quoted, "there is a difference between having your bell rung and a concussion." He made it sound like sims had knocked himself silly several times and maybe held out for precautionary reasons with FSU being extra careful with head injuries, but that he did not have severe enough hits to cause trauma to his brain(concussion). He also said that sims had been checked out very closely by several teams and that if there was indeed an issue with concussions you would not see this type of interest in sims. Having said all that, I really wanted Huff, but sims should fit our new system and hopefully it works out like it did for D.Brooks.

2nd round- I like D.Joseph, could see us taking a CB too. Hopefully unless Joseph is still there we take more d help, CB, Safety, DE. Maybe Jennings, Lawson, not sure what S might be there

So - what do they target in 2nd round? DB? OL? DL?
Davin Joseph or Ko Simpson.
both sound like good prospects to me from what I have read. What are their chances of getting to the lions in the second? Do the lions need a tackle more than a guard?
I have seen Joseph going to the Lions in several mocks in the 2nd, so there's definitely a chance. Joseph seems to be able to play both guard and tackle so he would be ideal since they need a G and wouldn't mind upgrading RT if possible also.

I cant believe some of you guys are upset over the Ernie Sims pick. Have you seen him play? Well i have. This guy has heart. He plays with passion! You'd be hard pressed to find a linebacker with a better motor or better speed and intensity than Ernie. He has had a few concussions, which is what people seem to put too much emphasis on. He isn't a guy that you worry about bringing it. He plays with a high level of intenisity, sometimes too much. He got far too many late hit penalties & sometimes over pursues on plays. He will be all over the field & free to roam with big Shaun Rogers at DT. He put Vernon Davis, arguably the best TE in the draft, on LOCK. He had a diving INT when guarding him. He also had a one-handed interception against Miami.

Pros: Has a knack for slipping blocks or avoiding them, though is also quite strong for his size and will take them on as well. Has a very good first step and shows a quick burst of speed that allows him to defeat blocking angles early on the down. He pursues sideline to sideline and takes precise angles to the ball with the hitting power to finish the play consistently. Ideally suited for a stack position that protects him and allows him to flow to the ball. As a pass-rusher, he has nice upside with the ability to come on the delay blitz with fine timing and the ability to finish the play with NFL-type explosion.

Cons: Some concerns of playing over a tight end regularly and holding up in run support. He lacks bulk and can get bounced around at the point of attack at times, getting easily engulfed by bigger blockers.

Numbers: Over his junior and final seasons, he had 66 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, one fumble recovery, 6 passes defended and two picks. At the Combine, he checked in at just under 6-feet and 231 pounds. He ran a 4.54 with a 41-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 5-inch broad jump and 25 reps in lifting.

If you look back to his sophomore season, you wil see his numbers were pretty higher. His numbers took a hit his junior year, but thats because teams gamedplaned to run the ball AWAY from him. FSU also rotates LBs alot.

DEFENSE STATISTICS

Int UT AT TT TL S BR FR

2005 2 22 50 72 10 2.5 4 0

2004 0 41 45 86 9 4.5 5 0

Heres an article on him

After racking up 86 tackles last fall as a true sophomore, Ernie Sims entered this season as a candidate for All-America honors. That wasn't surprising considering he had been rated as the nation's top player coming out of Tallahassee's North Florida Christian in 2003.

And Sims lived up to that billing in the Seminoles' season-opening victory against Miami. He recorded seven tackles and made a diving interception.

Teams are running away from Sims this season.

Since then, however, Sims has been credited with just 19 tackles in Florida State's next five games. At the midway point of the season, he is on pace to notch only slightly more than 50 tackles.

And that has led to speculation on Internet message boards and local sports talk radio that Sims is underachieving.

Anyone making those comments obviously hasn't asked Sims' position coach for an evaluation.

"He has played exceptionally well," FSU linebackers coach Kevin Steele said. "His grades are off the charts."

Off the charts? With only 26 tackles?

Steele said the only reason Sims' numbers have taken a dip this season is because opposing teams are adjusting their schemes to keep him at bay.

"He has played great," Steele said. "It's kind of like in baseball, saying that a fielder in baseball hasn't made a big difference this year. And then you look back and realize that he had 80 balls hit at him last year, and this year's he's had 19. That's the difference.

"They're not attacking Ernie Sims. They're not coming after Ernie Sims."

Steele said defensive statistics rarely paint a full picture. For example last season, when Sims was rolling up big tackle numbers, Steele said there were times that opponents actually designed plays to target him. They devised plans to take advantage of his desire to make big plays.

But once Sims proved he couldn't be baited into bad decisions anymore, Steele said opponents have turned their attention elsewhere.

"He's so much more disciplined and sound in his play," Steele said. "Before, he was so aggressive and young that they would try him on stuff. But he doesn't get a lot of work [in games] anymore. So he's almost got to create plays by chasing things and making things happen."

Sims has played so well that he even received a "plus" grade on a play in which the man he was covering scored a touchdown. Steele said Sims couldn't have covered Virginia tight end Jonathan Stupar on his 21-yard touchdown reception any better without being called for pass interference.

"He was the only place he could be," Steele said. "The guy made a great throw, and the guy made a great catch. Aside from just saying, 'OK, interfere with him,' you couldn't defend it.

"He got a plus on the play. I've been doing this 24 years, and I'm not afraid to give 'em a minus. You can ask 'em that."
His LB coach, Kevin Steele, coahed for the Panthers in the NFL and has seen ALOT of LBs during his time. Here is a question posed to him about Ernie Sims size
Q: Do you think Ernie's size is a concern for him at the next level?

Kevin Steele: Well, the best linebacker I have ever coached in 24 years of dealing with linebackers was about 5-foot-8 and ¾ and weighed about 232 pounds and that was Sam Mills. I learned a valuable lesson from being around Sam, if you are a football player then an inch doesn't matter.

The 5 concussions is only talk. Kiper was on local radio yesterday and said that from the people he had talked with that there was only 1 noted concussion while sims was at FSU. He then said, almost directly quoted, "there is a difference between having your bell rung and a concussion." He made it sound like sims had knocked himself silly several times and maybe held out for precautionary reasons with FSU being extra careful with head injuries, but that he did not have severe enough hits to cause trauma to his brain(concussion). He also said that sims had been checked out very closely by several teams and that if there was indeed an issue with concussions you would not see this type of interest in sims. Having said all that, I really wanted Huff, but sims should fit our new system and hopefully it works out like it did for D.Brooks.

2nd round- I like D.Joseph, could see us taking a CB too. Hopefully unless Joseph is still there we take more d help, CB, Safety, DE. Maybe Jennings, Lawson, not sure what S might be there
This is the best news I've heard all day. Thank you.

:goodposting: seems to me that a big part of his problem with the head hits is just technique....which Marinelli et al ought to be able to correct with a quickness. i'm liking the pick...it'll be nice to have a guy back there that can actually tackle ;)

Users who are viewing this thread