What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official New England Patriots Off-Season thread ** (2 Viewers)

I think they'll win more than 8, but I'm not sure that's even relevant.

it's great to get the bye, but what you want to do is win the division, and if our schedule is so horrible that we only manage 8-8, then I don't give the rest of our division much chance of reaching .500.

we'll see ---- need to win week one before you can go 8-8, 16-0, or whatever.

Pats quietly signed Damione Lewis (Carolina), defensive lineman. I don't know what kind of a player he is but was a 1st rd pick and started all 16 games last year... not that that means a ton. he should fill in some for Jarvis Green and may be a bargain.

Last edited by a moderator:
AngryPatriot said:
Pats quietly signed Damione Lewis (Carolina), defensive lineman. I don't know what kind of a player he is but was a 1st rd pick and started all 16 games last year... not that that means a ton. he should fill in some for Jarvis Green and maybe be a bargain.
12th overall pick in '01. He should provide some nice depth with Jarvis Greene gone.He's never played in the 3-4 scheme.

Oakland Raiders transactions - 9-6-09: Richard Seymour traded for from NEP (for 2011 first round draft choice).

Sooo.... nice now knowing that McNabb won't be coming to OAK and screwing up this top 10 draft pick acquired.

Oakland Raiders transactions - 9-6-09: Richard Seymour traded for from NEP (for 2011 first round draft choice).

Sooo.... nice now knowing that McNabb won't be coming to OAK and screwing up this top 10 5 draft pick acquired.
fixed :popcorn:

So in the past 48 hours, the AFC East has acquired Santonio Holmes and Brandon Marshall.

Covering these guys is going to be interesting.

not good news for pats fans . the jets appear the most improved team in the league for this year and marshal to the phins . add that the pats are rebuilding the defense, the road to the division is much tougher than a couple years ago :wub:

The winds of change are blowing strong. The AFC east may be the toughest division in football. Huge draft for the Pats coming up, HUGE. I wouldn't be surprised if a trade was in the works as well.

So, what is on Pat fans' minds this coming Thursday? I've been hearing this and that, but most of the "experts" seem to think Sergio will be our pick, pending any unforseen changes in other team's picks. What does everyone else think? Is that any different than what you would do if you were in BB shoes?

not good news for pats fans . the jets appear the most improved team in the league for this year and marshal to the phins . add that the pats are rebuilding the defense, the road to the division is much tougher than a couple years ago :blackdot:
no doubt it'll be tougher than when those rivals were patsies, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.I think the jets have been the most improved team in the league for like the last 5 years and they got smoked last time they met the pats --- cromartie won't change that.

I'd be more worried about the 'phins, but it's the nfl -- it's not supposed to be easy.

have faith, brutha!

as for that guy with the draft question, I'll link some draft chatter on a pats board, if you aren't there already:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patrio...draft-talk.html

Need serious help at RB, WR, and with the pass rush imo. I really hope they don't trade back too much and address these needs with players that can make an immediate impact.

Need serious help at RB, WR, and with the pass rush imo. I really hope they don't trade back too much and address these needs with players that can make an immediate impact.
honestly, I think if you're counting on a bunch of rookies you're going to be in for disappointment.you draft for three years from now, unless you're looking at maybe a top ten guy.

I'm not saying a guy can't come in and contribute, but you can get that from an edelman at the bottom of the draft, too -- I'm just saying we should reign the expectations in a little.

I won't say there isn't a rb in the second round who could have a great rookie season, for example, but everybody hates maroney, and why should we expect some second round rookie to come in and do any better?

how often do you see second round and later wr's come in and have huge rookie seasons?

tate might already be that guy you're looking for, mckenzie might be a guy to help us up the middle --- I won't bank on them, but they probably have as much chance at an impact as any rookie.

ps

as for covering marshall and holmes, I realize the pats could improve on the d a bit, and some guys certainly have success against them (this IS the nfl), but let's also remember the games where andre johnson goes 6-65-0, or roddy white gets held to something like 4-24, while gonzalez catches one ball.

it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

There are 2 draft scenarios would get me very excited and I think both have a legitimate chance of happening.

1. Dez Bryant slips to #22. I think we can all agree that the Pats would jump on this pick. There are a lot of "ifs" early in the draft, but after doing some mocking, I think that this has a legit chance of happening (IF Cleveland goes Berry, IF JAX takes Morgan or Tebow, IF Spiller is available at SEA #14 pick, IF Iupati or Pouncey is available for PIT).

2. Some team (I'm thinking JAX) wants to jump back into the 1st round to grab a player (probably Tebow, perhaps someone at the end of a Tackle run, etc.). In this case, I can certainly see the Pats trading out of rd 1 and into next years draft (I think a JAX deal would be something like a 3rd rounder this year, since they don't have a 2, and a 1st and 3rd next year).

There is a ton of talent in this draft. Here's a list of guys that will probably be available in the second round when the pats pick that I would love to see as patriots:

Tyson Alualu - 5-tech DE

Koa Misi - potential pass-rushing OLB with versatility

Ricky Sapp - Athletic potential pass-rusher

Eric Norwood - Another pass-rushing prospect

Gronkowski - Top TE prospect

T. Gerhart - potential lead RB in a committee (valuable with a K. Faulk-like complimentary back)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats target some potential pass rush help later in the draft as well. These guys might be undervalued:

Greg Hardy - Character concerns continue to sink his draft stock, but at some point, someone will nab this 1st round talent

Austen Lane - small school prospect (Murray State), but extremely atheletic and productive (could be off the board in rd 2 or 3)

Thaddeus Gibson - probably a 3rd round pick if they can add one through a trade

O'brien Schoefield - Pass-rusher extrodinaire who is recovering from a torn ACL at the senior bowl

Any other guys you would be thrilled to see in a Pats uniform?

honestly, I think if you're counting on a bunch of rookies you're going to be in for disappointment.you draft for three years from now, unless you're looking at maybe a top ten guy.

I'm not saying a guy can't come in and contribute, but you can get that from an edelman at the bottom of the draft, too -- I'm just saying we should reign the expectations in a little.

I won't say there isn't a rb in the second round who could have a great rookie season, for example, but everybody hates maroney, and why should we expect some second round rookie to come in and do any better?
The bold is silly. Players might not peak for 3 years, but 1st-2nd round picks, the goal should be for immediate contributors, unless it's clearly a developmental pick. I'm not saying I expect the Patriots to bring in 4 players who will light the world on fire, but they better be contributing before three years from now.As for your question about RB, the answer is Because Maroney sucks and RB is probably the easiest position to transfer from college to the pros? If a RB drafted in the 2nd round doesn't make immediate contributions, and outperforms Maroney who is seriously terrible, than it was a busted pick. All I ask is that they don't draft (another) 2nd round bust.

how often do you see second round and later wr's come in and have huge rookie seasons?
Not often, but the Patriots don't necessarily need a huge rookie season - we already have our #1 WR, and Edelman will make a decent Welker-substitute for the short term. It's more of a move for next year when Moss is likely gone. They need some bodies at WR, that much is obvious.
tate might already be that guy you're looking for, mckenzie might be a guy to help us up the middle --- I won't bank on them, but they probably have as much chance at an impact as any rookie.
Fine. :excited: Let 'em play. The Patriots still need an ugprade at pass rusher and WR.
as for covering marshall and holmes, I realize the pats could improve on the d a bit, and some guys certainly have success against them (this IS the nfl), but let's also remember the games where andre johnson goes 6-65-0, or roddy white gets held to something like 4-24, while gonzalez catches one ball.

it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.
Doom and gloom? I :goodposting: because the Jets and Dolphins got better. I like our secondary okay, I think its main problem is it's not coupled with an adequate pass rush.

this wont happen, and i dont follow college that close .but what i know, the perfect early draft imo

1st Round (22nd Overall) - lb weatherspoon

2nd Round (44th Overall - JAX) - dl odrick

2nd Round (47th Overall - TEN) - lb lee

2nd Round (53rd Overall) - wr eric decker - or rb and shipley later

4th Round (119th Overall) - rb anthony dixon - or wr shipley

this wont happen, and i dont follow college that close .but what i know, the perfect early draft imo1st Round (22nd Overall) - lb weatherspoon2nd Round (44th Overall - JAX) - dl odrick2nd Round (47th Overall - TEN) - lb lee2nd Round (53rd Overall) - wr eric decker - or rb and shipley later4th Round (119th Overall) - rb anthony dixon - or wr shipley
I actually really like your thought process here: upgrades in the front 7. Weatherspoon is a versatile guy, but he's not a real pass rush threat. I believe he projects more as a 4-3 OLB with the ability to play ILB in either front. If odrick was there at 44, the pats should jump on that, he'd be a great DE in the 3-4. I think Lee would be a nice addition to slot next to Mayo, but I have a feeling the Pats are expecting Tyrone McKenzie to earn some time in that spot this year, so I don't think they'd grab an ILB this early (although i would expect one at some point). I would be happy with 3 picks addressing the front 7, then moving to skill position players. Decker, Shipley and Dixon would all be nice grabs in rd 4. I think their might be better value still available at 53 overall. Although, if they are targeting any of those guys, we could see them trade out of one of those 2nd round slots. I think BB loves to build his defensive front 7 and I'd expect to see a similar strategy to yours on draft weekend. Luckily for the pats, there seems to be some good value at those positions too.

The Patriots at this point are no better than a 9-7 team. Considering the schedule they have they could conceivably be a 7-9 team.

If I were them I would do everything possible to deal next years Raiders pick (it may have value because their may be a rookie) cap and another pick to get into the top ten this year.

Considering that this is such a deep draft the Patriots could add two studs in the first round and start their re-buliding process immediately... Tom Brady's window (while still open) is starting to close.

The Patriots at this point are no better than a 9-7 team. Considering the schedule they have they could conceivably be a 7-9 team.If I were them I would do everything possible to deal next years Raiders pick (it may have value because their may be a rookie) cap and another pick to get into the top ten this year.Considering that this is such a deep draft the Patriots could add two studs in the first round and start their re-buliding process immediately... Tom Brady's window (while still open) is starting to close.
The Pats were 2-5 last year in close game. If things had gone even slightly differently in some of those losses they would have been a 12 or 13 win team . . . and that was essentially with the same team they have now. The younger guys will only have more experience and they had no major losses player wise this year (although Welker missing time will certainly be a problem). And we are still a long way from real football starting.I think they are a long way from being a 7 to 9 win team. But that's why they play the games . . .

David Yudkin said:
I think they are a long way from being a 7 to 9 win team. But that's why they play the games . . .
Agreed :) . I think many people feel that since the Jets and the Phins are acquiring some big name FA's that their teams are something to be feared. While they are undoubtedly better because of these guys, no one can promise that the chemistry (an underated factor by some imo) will click with them and other players.
There are 2 draft scenarios would get me very excited and I think both have a legitimate chance of happening.

1. Dez Bryant slips to #22. I think we can all agree that the Pats would jump on this pick. There are a lot of "ifs" early in the draft, but after doing some mocking, I think that this has a legit chance of happening (IF Cleveland goes Berry, IF JAX takes Morgan or Tebow, IF Spiller is available at SEA #14 pick, IF Iupati or Pouncey is available for PIT).
I'm not so sure I would agree with this. While Bryant would definitely help with our need for a solid and consistent deep threat opposite of Moss (and a potential Moss replacement) I'm not convinced that what he brings to the team thats a plus is greater than what he brings to the team thats a negative (his off field troubles). I think Golden Tate, although a 2nd rounder, probably has more to offer when you consider on the field talent vs off the field headaches :shrug:

David Yudkin said:
I think they are a long way from being a 7 to 9 win team. But that's why they play the games . . .
Agreed :lmao: . I think many people feel that since the Jets and the Phins are acquiring some big name FA's that their teams are something to be feared. While they are undoubtedly better because of these guys, no one can promise that the chemistry (an underated factor by some imo) will click with them and other players.

I'm not so sure I would agree with this. While Bryant would definitely help with our need for a solid and consistent deep threat opposite of Moss (and a potential Moss replacement) I'm not convinced that what he brings to the team thats a plus is greater than what he brings to the team thats a negative (his off field troubles). I think Golden Tate, although a 2nd rounder, probably has more to offer when you consider on the field talent vs off the field headaches ;)
I also think Golden Tate in the 2nd makes more sense for New England.I also think Golden is more of the BB prototypical player than Dez.

FWIW, I have heard that the Pats likely don't want Bryant for his character/work ethic issues . . . and if he fell to them they would probably trade out of that pick for more picks because SOMEONE would pay a king's ransom to get Dez.

(RotoWire) Woods has signed a one-year deal with the Patriots, the Boston Globe reports.

Analysis: Woods returns to give the Patriots outside linebacker depth and can contribute on special teams. If he can carve out more playing time, he could morph into a viable IDP, but his 36 tackles in 2009 represent a career-high thus far.

Sunday Sept. 12 vs. Bengals – 1 pm

Sunday Sept. 19 at N.Y. Jets 4:15 pm

Sunday Sept. 26 vs. Bills 1 pm

Monday Oct. 4 at Miami 8:30 pm

BYE

Sunday Oct. 17 vs. Baltimore 1 pm

Sunday Oct. 24 at San Diego 1:15 pm

Sunday Oct. 31 vs. Minnesota 4:15 pm

Sunday Nov. 7 at Cleveland 1 pm

Sunday Nov. 14 at Pittsburgh 8:20 pm

Sunday Nov. 21 vs. Indianapolis 4:15 pm

Thursday Nov. 25 at Detroit 12:30 pm

Monday. Dec. 6 vs. N.Y. Jets 8:30 pm

Sunday Dec. 12 at Chicago 1 pm

Sunday Dec. 19 vs. Green Bay 8:20 pm

Sunday Dec. 26 at Buffalo 1 pm

Sunday Jan. 2 vs. Miami 1 pm

16 and 0, my friends....

A lot of different guys we could take at #22. Brandon Graham, Jermaine Gresham, Dez Bryant, Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle, Earl Thomas, Tim Tebow, Everson Griffen, or they could always trade out :confused: Should be an interesting night.

Wheatley...Wilhite...Butler...McCorty...hey Bill, I love you but it doesn't matter who you have in your secondary until you address that pass rush...

Can someone explain the McCourty pcik for me - we're assuming a top-tier OLB will fall to us in the second?

I don't get it at all and if we would have gone corner I don't see why Kyle Wilson wasn't the choice (now a Jet).

:lmao:

When the nicest thing anyone has to say about your first round pick is that he's "an instant impact player on special teams" that can't be good. To me, McCourty is a good special teamer with the potential to be a nickel corner. Seems like a BB guy, but BB guys are generally fill a specific role. Right now we need playmakers, not role players.

When the nicest thing anyone has to say about your first round pick is that he's "an instant impact player on special teams" that can't be good. To me, McCourty is a good special teamer with the potential to be a nickel corner. Seems like a BB guy, but BB guys are generally fill a specific role. Right now we need playmakers, not role players.
What are you basing this on?

BB's son plays on the Rutgers lacrosse team, and Belicheck was here about a week ago attending Schiano's coaches clinic, and, by some accounts, getting the scoop on DMC.

You're getting a great player who's also a high character leader-type player. And don't downplay the special teams aspect. This guy is a game-changer.

and now Hughes is gone - Kindle will most likely be gone soon - will Sapp be there for us...

I'm really not liking the way this shakes out early. We need pass-rush help now.

I really liked us trading down acquiring more picks when Kindle and Odrick was still there for us now this might get ugly as far as top notch defensive front 7 help will soon be gone.

Do Da Saints pick Kindle in a minute?

Both the NFL and ESPN broadcaster's called him a great special teamer. Berman actually invoked Larry Izzo (I know its berman, but still). Personally, after watching him a bit this season (I'm a UConn student) I was most impressed by his return abilities. I think he's a fine CB, but doesn't have elite skills. He struggles with bigger WRs, can't jam, and allows too many completions He'll certainly contribute, but I just don't see him developing into a starting CB. Plus, the recent track record of BB taking CBs is not great (wheately, wilhite)

Both the NFL and ESPN broadcaster's called him a great special teamer. Berman actually invoked Larry Izzo (I know its berman, but still). Personally, after watching him a bit this season (I'm a UConn student) I was most impressed by his return abilities. I think he's a fine CB, but doesn't have elite skills. He struggles with bigger WRs, can't jam, and allows too many completions He'll certainly contribute, but I just don't see him developing into a starting CB. Plus, the recent track record of BB taking CBs is not great (wheately, wilhite)
Couple things here.1. Using what the NFL and ESPN broadcasters said after the pick is a pretty terrible reason for not liking the pick.2. You're plagarizing NFLDraftCount.com's "Weaknesses" and pretending their your own analysis from watching him.So, I think I'll pass on putting any value in your opinion. Enjoy the 2nd round.

and now Hughes is gone - Kindle will most likely be gone soon - will Sapp be there for us... I'm really not liking the way this shakes out early. We need pass-rush help now.I really liked us trading down acquiring more picks when Kindle and Odrick was still there for us now this might get ugly as far as top notch defensive front 7 help will soon be gone.Do Da Saints pick Kindle in a minute?
Well, I was wrong on Kindle to the Saints. Saints got Patrick Robinson. Looks like we started a run on corners...Still plenty of picking to be done on round 2 and beyond so there's no need to be too down I guess.

Couple things here.1. Using what the NFL and ESPN broadcasters said after the pick is a pretty terrible reason for not liking the pick.

2. You're plagarizing NFLDraftCount.com's "Weaknesses" and pretending their your own analysis from watching him.

So, I think I'll pass on putting any value in your opinion. Enjoy the 2nd round.
I love when people get ThomasA'd

Another draft that had me pulling my hair out. We trade down again to aquire a cb/special teams player while ignoring the gaping holes at lb/pass rusher and wr. The only two wr's which had the potential to be impact studs we end trading picks so other teams could draft them. Damn you BB, I think he can't see the forest thru the trees. We don't need more picks in the middle rounds, we need impact players now. If they had gotten the boatload of picks that the Ravens got from Denver on the Tebow deal then I would be ok with the trades. Instead we pick up a lousy 3rd rounder for a forth and Dallas grabs the best wr in the draft. We have crap at wr now, Moss is gone soon, Welker's hurt and Golden Tate or some other stiff who's left now isn't going to help us. I'm sure I'll get to watch D Thomas and Bryant turn into studs and watch us struggle at wr going forward. Unreal. :( :thumbup: And our defense isn't going to be improved by a nickel corner either.

Why is it that when the Pats traded down they got a token pick, and when any other team traded down they got the GM's first born son? And what good will having 99 2'd and 3'd rounders do if you only have a few open roster spots?

Deep down I think BB and Kraft think that part of the new agreement is going to seriously change the amount of money rookies get so they are sandbagin the draft this year and collecting picks for 2011. My prediction is they make at least two trades giving up picks in 2010 for 2011.

Don't like passing on Bryant WTF! Gut feeling: Don't like this at all, not when he's very likely available later in the 2nd if not later.

Man, fans are growing weary.....

How come they didn't tell us what other picks they picked up, anyone know?

Couple things here.1. Using what the NFL and ESPN broadcasters said after the pick is a pretty terrible reason for not liking the pick.2. You're plagarizing NFLDraftCount.com's "Weaknesses" and pretending their your own analysis from watching him.So, I think I'll pass on putting any value in your opinion. Enjoy the 2nd round.
I'm not asking you to value my opinion. This forum is here for people to post there opinions and allow other people to discuss/debate or ignore. I acknowledged that what ESPN and NFL doesn't mean very much, which is why I told you why I don't like the pick. I watched McCourty too, just like Scott Wright, just like Cecil Lamey, just like Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock. What I saw was very similar to what some of them saw. Next time I will find my thesaurus so I don't use the same words as nfldraftcountdown.com. But regardless, that is my opinion of McCourty, take it for what its worth (probably nothing, but thats what we're here for). Might I suggest, to help advance this thread, you post your opinions of the pick instead of just questioning other peoples? I'm going to take everything I read on this site with a grain of salt, and so should you, but I would like to hear all opinions, especially when it comes to Pats picks. I am certainly interested in what you and others think of McCourty and the Pats future picks. Thanks.

I think the WR additions by the Fins and Jets may have factored into the Pats taking a CB.
Too bad we didn't go out and get our own stud wr to even the playing field. Passing on Bryant and Thomas will be a huge mistake IMO. Our defense has issues but if we don't address the wr spot we are going to be scary thin there going into 2010. We had the players we need fall in our lap and p$ssed away the chance to upgrade there.

I'm not asking you to value my opinion. This forum is here for people to post there opinions and allow other people to discuss/debate or ignore. I acknowledged that what ESPN and NFL doesn't mean very much, which is why I told you why I don't like the pick. I watched McCourty too, just like Scott Wright, just like Cecil Lamey, just like Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock. What I saw was very similar to what some of them saw. Next time I will find my thesaurus so I don't use the same words as nfldraftcountdown.com. But regardless, that is my opinion of McCourty, take it for what its worth (probably nothing, but thats what we're here for). Might I suggest, to help advance this thread, you post your opinions of the pick instead of just questioning other peoples? I'm going to take everything I read on this site with a grain of salt, and so should you, but I would like to hear all opinions, especially when it comes to Pats picks. I am certainly interested in what you and others think of McCourty and the Pats future picks. Thanks.
I don't know anything about McCourty, which is why I was hoping to come find some informed opinions. Sorry if I assumed you didn't know what you were talking about.Who are some big WR's he's struggled against? Why does he struggle against them? What do you mean by he "can't jam?" Does he try and jam but miss? Does he not jam hard enough?Which of his skills do you think are not "elite?" What do you mean by he "allows" too many completions? Does he have problems with jump balls or simply covering WR's? Or does he stay in position but has some kind of coordination problem?

Another draft that had me pulling my hair out. We trade down again to aquire a cb/special teams player while ignoring the gaping holes at lb/pass rusher and wr. The only two wr's which had the potential to be impact studs we end trading picks so other teams could draft them. Damn you BB, I think he can't see the forest thru the trees. We don't need more picks in the middle rounds, we need impact players now. If they had gotten the boatload of picks that the Ravens got from Denver on the Tebow deal then I would be ok with the trades. Instead we pick up a lousy 3rd rounder for a forth and Dallas grabs the best wr in the draft. We have crap at wr now, Moss is gone soon, Welker's hurt and Golden Tate or some other stiff who's left now isn't going to help us. I'm sure I'll get to watch D Thomas and Bryant turn into studs and watch us struggle at wr going forward. Unreal. :goodposting: :lmao: And our defense isn't going to be improved by a nickel corner either.
Take a deep breath. I don't think Moss is going anywhere. They can still add a solid receiver. For this year, Moss, Holt, Edelman, half a season of Welker, Tate, and a rookie is still WAY better than Brady had for 6 years.Bryant could end up more like Charles Rogers than Larry Fitzgerald. Clearly BB had McCourty rated pretty high.

After watching Wheatly, Wilhite and Butler (as well as Chung although he's a safety) play I can't get too fired up about picking another CB. Granted none of those were #1's but the Pats recent draft record with this position has not been overly impressive. The bottomline is the team has a bad pass rush and until that is upgraded their secondary is going to be hung out to dry.

The report on McCorty is he's not a playmaker...I don't like that. This team is in dire need of playmakers and they have not added one this offseason. My fear is BB is placing too much faith in his system and not enough on talent. Right now I can't say I'm overly optimistic about 2010. They'll be competitive but I don't see them hanging with the better teams...especially those with a high-quality QB.

Users who are viewing this thread