What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official NHL 2023-24 Thread *** (1 Viewer)

toews signed for 7x7.25. yes, please!!!

colorado has following unsigned for next year:
drouin
tatar
cogliano
oluffson
tufte (restricted)
mcdermid
jack johnson
francouz
annunnen (restricted)

77m tied up with everyone else (landeskog included), so about 10m in cap space.
That's a nice list of unsigned players. Seriously, let every single one of them walk.
depends how they go this season (drouin especially), but that may happen.

man, that’s a big nut for toews at age 29. cap is going up for sure, but you have other guys seemingly and you lose flexibility.

i was amazed watching the rangers last night at what a coach with a plan brings to a team. david quinn is arguably the worst in the league right now and it shows in SJ. gallant basically threw a puck on the ice and said go.

the rangers played a 1-3-1 lw lock last night, i’ve never seen that from them. they didn’t send 3 men into the defensive zone to forecheck, not get the puck and allow 67 odd man rushes. they actually blocked shots and looked like having shesterkin face 40 shots is something they want to avoid.

now, it’s 1 game, but buff has firepower and owen power, but didn’t seem to have a flow.

man, that’s a big nut for toews at age 29. cap is going up for sure, but you have other guys seemingly and you lose flexibility.
we have 10m in cap space next year and nobody really important to sign.

we will worry about the cap after winning 2+ cups with this squad.

Makar is underpaid. That combo is a steal. Crazy to see Toews make less than Sanderson and Power. It will probably flip at some point though.

I am loving the super stars being super stars early this year.

Bedard is meeting the hype. Jack Hughes looks phenomenal. Auston Matthews looks like MVP Auston Matthews again (Nylander was absolutely flying too. He's going the secure the :moneybag: in a huge way). Elias Pettersson was really great. Crosby scored in game one. Rantanen/MacKinnon/Makar all big games.

Edmonton the outlier (only one game) but I think it has been about as exciting a start to the season as you can hope for.
Pettersson and Hughes look they are making the jump from really good to great. Canucks could be a dark horse out west, I like what they got going out there. @jackburton

Seems like the Kraken are committed to an analytical approach. All their forwards have above average skating speeds, four lines deep. It definitely makes for a more explosive offensive team, especially as the game wears on.

I was looking for an article on that but I don’t get Canuck internet unless I’m in Michigan.

Seems like the Kraken are committed to an analytical approach. All their forwards have above average skating speeds, four lines deep. It definitely makes for a more explosive offensive team, especially as the game wears on.

I was looking for an article on that but I don’t get Canuck internet unless I’m in Michigan.
they are fun to watch unless your team is playing them

Caps playing Habs in a match-up of 2 lottery teams. I didn't expect Washington to be this bad.
Penguins equally as bad. Why Karlson wanted to go to Pittsburgh is a mystery. They are so slow and old. Why Sullivan hasn't been canned by now is another mystery. He keeps running out 100 year old Jeff Carter who should have retired years ago, that alone should get Sullivan fired.

Last edited:
The Bruins have regressed all the way back into their best start in more than 80 years.

Clearly Bergeron was the problem.

The Bruins have regressed all the way back into their best start in more than 80 years.

As s B's fan can't complain, but the NHL schedule makers did them a favor this year with their first 6 games or so. Good way to build confidence though.

And I can't believe the organization let Bergy drag them down for so long.

Totally

Really liking the uni’s this year.
Totally agree. I didn't like the white and black unis with the extra striping when they first released pics, but now seeing them with the names and numbers, I love them.

I don't really dig the centennial jersey they wore opening night though. Not sure why, just doesn't do it for me.

Totally

Really liking the uni’s this year.
Totally agree. I didn't like the white and black unis with the extra striping when they first released pics, but now seeing them with the names and numbers, I love them.

I don't really dig the centennial jersey they wore opening night though. Not sure why, just doesn't do it for me.

The extra striping is a little odd when you first see it but I really like it…gives them a new look but in an old school way which is what you want with this franchise.

Last edited:
Former Pittsburgh (and Wilkes-Barre) Penguin and MN native Adam Johnson was caught by a skate blade in the throat/neck while playing for the Nottingham Panthers in England yesterday, and has sadly passed away due to the injury. Do yourself a favor and do not watch the video when it comes across whatever social media/news feed you use. Horrifying and sad. I watched it and wish I hadn't. Worse than the Malarchuk video to me.

Adam Johnson

As a Dad who still has a daughter playing, even if your kid's league/team/association/governing body doesn't require the use of neck guards (and wrist guards) make them wear them. The excuses of "They don't feel right" or "no one else is wearing them" don't hold water when a tragic accident like this happens. My daughter caught a skate blade to her the underside of her wrist a couple of seasons ago when she got tangled up with another player and they both fell to the ice. While luckily it was not very deep, it was right over the vein. Any deeper and she could have been in real trouble. No one ever expects it and it happens in flash, so please keep them protected.

Prayers to his family and friends. And hug your hockey kids a little tighter today.

Former Pittsburgh (and Wilkes-Barre) Penguin and MN native Adam Johnson was caught by a skate blade in the throat/neck while playing for the Nottingham Panthers in England yesterday, and has sadly passed away due to the injury. Do yourself a favor and do not watch the video when it comes across whatever social media/news feed you use. Horrifying and sad. I watched it and wish I hadn't. Worse than the Malarchuk video to me.

Adam Johnson

As a Dad who still has a daughter playing, even if your kid's league/team/association/governing body doesn't require the use of neck guards (and wrist guards) make them wear them. The excuses of "They don't feel right" or "no one else is wearing them" don't hold water when a tragic accident like this happens. My daughter caught a skate blade to her the underside of her wrist a couple of seasons ago when she got tangled up with another player and they both fell to the ice. While luckily it was not very deep, it was right over the vein. Any deeper and she could have been in real trouble. No one ever expects it and it happens in flash, so please keep them protected.

Prayers to his family and friends. And hug your hockey kids a little tighter today.
Terrible all-around. Will be tough for anyone involved to get over that. Gives me shivers just thinking about it. 😞

Adam Johnson

Sadly, this video came up on a feed before I heard about what happened. It had zero trigger warnings and I watched it not knowing. I watch tons of hockey (hence why it came up on my feed), but don't play, nor do my kids...I'm thankful for that. I'm not sure I could ever watch my kids play after that video. Given that neck cuts have happened several times in the NHL, and likely dozens more in lower leagues that don't go as widely reported, I'm shocked neck guards aren't mandatory at this point.

Freak accident, but horribly sad.

What's the incentive for good service?

Adam Johnson

Penguins did a nice pregame tribute tonight. :thumbup:

un ****ing believe-able

Killed a 3 on 5 with 2 mins left and score a shorty with 12 secs to go to win to sweep a 4-game road trip.

Mintukov and macTavish are so ****ing good.

Lacombe is playing great.

Dostal has 5 wins.

Even when they were 1-4, they were playing well.

Hell must be freezing over as the Kings are the highest scoring team in the NHL. Just incredible. Now if they could just keep the puck out of their own net (although Talbot has been better as of late).

Nicklas Backstrom stepping away from hockey

I had to post something for a guy who has perpetually been overlooked in his career partly because he's been an Ovechkin enabler, and partly because of his demeanor as someone who just shows up and did his job and did it well. In another setting, it would have been Backstrom, not Ovi, who might have been the face of the franchise. Amazingly, despite years of consistent stellar play he only made 1 All-Star game.

In all honesty, I never expected him to recover from the hip resurfacing procedure - and I feel like not retiring a few years ago did the Caps a disservice in some regards (salary cap), but I'm still very sad to see him effectively hang up his skates. Just wanted to call it out since he's a guy who has always been underappreciated in my opinion.

Rangers have had a nice start to the year. One clunker against Nashville, but I dunno, I guess they drank the Laviolette kool aid because they have really been terrific since in all three zones. I think I saw they were 3rd in the NHL in faceoffs which is incredible since this was the worst faceoff team for years - I really think it was an achilles heel for them in some playoff series constantly losing the draws. And it's been a long time since they've had four solid lines - I mean I really don't like Vessey but him on the 4th line with Goodrow and a Bonino is a pretty decent shut down option when trying to kill off a game. And Trochek-Wheeler-Cullye line hasn't been scoring but they've been really good 5v5 all year. Their special teams and goalkeeping are going to win them plenty of games, but they keep playing like this 5v5 and well this is a cup contender. If only they could get Othmann up here 🙏
Good test for them tonight against the Canes who are still best 5v5 team in the league.

Red Wings really surprising me this year. I thought they were a few years away from being decent, but so far they've been good!

I refuse to watch the Flyers until they get new ownership.....sad

Getting rid of Fletcher was at least a huge step

Mintukov and macTavish are so ****ing good.

Lacombe is playing great.

Dostal has 5 wins.

Even when they were 1-4, they were playing well.
in uber and ffa drafts i liked korchinski and mintyukov as late round flyers. i had room for 1 on both teams and opted for mintyukov. pretty happy with that choice, given his hits and blocks.

in uber and ffa drafts i liked korchinski and mintyukov as late round flyers. i had room for 1 on both teams and opted for mintyukov. pretty happy with that choice, given his hits and blocks.
and 7 assists in 10 games. The play he made last night from the D end to getting the assist on the goal was so elite. It's amazing he's just 19

and 7 assists in 10 games. The play he made last night from the D end to getting the assist on the goal was so elite. It's amazing he's just 19
i don’t watch any ducks games. have a comparable on mintyukov? any idea if he’s a 60 point guy or a 30-40. really have no idea what i have in him. i am hyper surprised at the hits and blocks.

i don’t watch any ducks games. have a comparable on mintyukov? any idea if he’s a 60 point guy or a 30-40. really have no idea what i have in him. i am hyper surprised at the hits and blocks.
I think 50 is possible this year. His skating, play making, calmness and vision of the ice is elite. He wsa Def player of year in his junior league last year. The comparable LOL/. I'd get laughed at if I posted some of the comparables announcers have been saying. NHL Top 10 potential.

I know Zegras and Byfield aren’t scoring, but those two were the guys popping when I’ve seen them in person this year. Byfield in particular is so quick/fast on the forecheck it’s not even funny. I’m just pissed I missed Carlsson when the Ducks sat him against the Bruins. At least there’s a reason to go to Ducks games now.

I know Zegras and Byfield aren’t scoring, but those two were the guys popping when I’ve seen them in person this year. Byfield in particular is so quick/fast on the forecheck it’s not even funny. I’m just pissed I missed Carlsson when the Ducks sat him against the Bruins. At least there’s a reason to go to Ducks games now.
Byfield is getting assists (had three in the last game on Saturday). He is doing the dirty work and distributing the Kopi and Kempe. His role on that line is to go get the puck and get it to them. In time the goals will come but right now he is playing outstanding doing what he should be doing.

Rangers are just amazing me right now. No Igor, no Fox, no Chytil, but still rolling along. Trocheck has been great and that second line is almost always the best line on the ice for either team night in and night out. And Panarin playing mvp level here. Obviously they will not be this good all year, but been a nice rocket ship of a start.

And Edmonton lost to the Sharks last night, oof. Gonna be some big changes happening with the Oilers for sure. You just can't have 5 points after 12 games with that team.

Vegas a nice -520 tonight vs SJ.

Users who are viewing this thread