What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official NHL 2023-24 Thread *** (1 Viewer)

So 5 players placed on leave "for personal reasons" who were members of that 2018 Canada WJC team were Cal Foote and Michael McLeod from the Devils, Carter Hart from the Flyers, Dillon Dune from the Flames and Alex Formenton (playing in Swiss league but Ottawa has his rights).

There won't be a press conference about the charges by the authorities until Feb 5th.

Apparently Hockey Canada had a fun specifically to pay settles if these kinds of allegations and have done so numerous times over the last couple of decades. Just disgraceful.

-QG

Formenton was thought to be a prime candidate given him ending up in Switzerland (though apparently Ottawa did qualify him this past off-season). Hart and McLeod have had this hanging over them as well. Foote's agent had put an actual denial out there so in that sense a little more surprising for him to be one of the 5. The Flames statement a couple of days ago characterized Dube's leave as for "mental health reasons" which looks pretty bad at the moment.

Like a half hour after the announcement about 5 players being asked to turned themselves in a story popped about Utah asking formally for a review of them for an expansion team which was widely derided as the NHL trying a lame attempt to distract.

-QG

One day after returning to practice with the Rangers since suffering a suspected concussion in November, Filip Chytil was down for several minutes and had to be helped off the ice at an optional skate this morning at MSG before Friday’s game against the Golden Knights.

Kings tie the NHL record for wins on the road to start a season with a 3 goal third period comeback.

Amazing offense by just rolling four lines. All playing great
My how things change quickly around here. Now they can't buy a win.

Rangers coming in hot after the ASB. What's remarkable is that their PP hasn't scored in their last 6 or 7 games and that's what they've relied upon to get the offense going. Chytil done for the year (maybe career) is a severe bummer as he's so young and arguably the best u25 player on the team.
In futures betting I had grabbed McKinnon for MVP last week at -130. Guy is on another level this year. He can really be just an unstoppable force.
Hughes is a strong favorite for Norris, but I like Makar at +150. Yes, Hughes had a great first half, but he's a smaller defenseman and if he gets banged up and Makar stays healthy, or Hughes just hits a second half wall here, Makar is a better player, imho.
And Hellebuck is the favorite for the Vezina, but Thatcher should be right there as well. And from what I've seen of Markstrom the past few weeks, 20/1 isn't that outrageous a punt. Best two goalies I've seen this year have been Hill and Quick, but neither is going to get enough games. Quick's been an absolute godsend for the Rangers, but Shesty put up his first SO this year last night so hopefully that gets him rolling 🙏

Anaheim did not show up last night. Getting spanked by Montreal is not a good sign for them. Not sure I've seen an easier shutout.
Montreal's #1 from 2 years ago is starting to look like he may actually be a great pick. Certainly looks like he i sin position to be the best from that year if he keeps trending in this direction.

How boot some old time hockey boys? Love seeing the Red Wings playing meaningful games on the West Coast in February! Saddle up boys!

Flyers are a real fun team to watch except when they have to put Cal Peterson in the net. I don't know where that guy feel apart so bad, but holy moly he is just useless in the net.

Flyers are a real fun team to watch except when they have to put Cal Peterson in the net. I don't know where that guy feel apart so bad, but holy moly he is just useless in the net.
Yeah when your #1 is going to jail for a long time tough to fill the gaps

Tarasenko to the Panthers for a couple of draft picks is a huge steal IMO. Team is a wagon and going to be a very tough out again in the East.

Penguins have done nothing with deadline here. Pretty sad, and they will either lose Guentzel for nothing or even more idiotic sign him until he needs a walker. But par for the course since most of the lineup is over 50 years old. They have the worst roster in the league aside from Cosby. Was hoping a team would be dumb enough to want Jarry but he is Sullivan's pet so he probably wouldn't let it happen anyway. And they let Sullivan keep coaching like it's 2017. What a sad fall from grace, but at least I saw a few cups before the demise.

Last edited:
Penguins have done nothing with deadline here. Pretty sad, and they will either lose Guentzel for nothing or even more idiotic sign him until he needs a walker. But par for the course since most of the lineup is over 50 years old. They have the worst roster in the league aside from Cosby. Was hoping a team would be dumb enough to want Jarry but he is Sullivan's pet so he probably wouldn't let it happen anyway. And they let Sullivan keep coaching like it's 2017. What a sad fall from grace, but at least I saw a few cups before the demise.
guentzel to teh canes

And Pens getting slaughtered by the horrible Caps 5-0 & only the 2nd period. What does it actually take to get Sullivan axed. The team has clearly given up & has zero interest. Softest team in the league and has been for the last 5 years. What an awful time to be a Pittsburgh sports fan.

guentzel to teh canes
I assume you are hoping or did you see something?

guentzel to teh canes
I assume you are hoping or did you see something?
saw it, seems official…..waiting for their games to announce full details. bunting coming back, not sure what else.

Guentzel trade details

The full trade consists of Guentzel and defenseman Ty Smith heading to Carolina, while Bunting, forward prospects Ville Koivunen, Cruz Lucius and Vasili Ponomarev, as well as a conditional 2024 first round pick and a conditional 2024 fifth round pick will be headed to Pittsburgh.

Like Duclair to the bolts but I just don’t know if they have teh juice this year. Got whomped by a mid-Calgary team last night.

Ovi with 2 more goals (so far) tonight. 49 goals from tying Gretz, 50 away from breaking the record.

Something like 15 goals in his last 23 games. Fun to watch.
I was definitely worried early in the season that he might not make it. Still a possibility he doesn't, but I feel confident now. 14 games left this season, so he'll probably add 5-10 more. If this current streak continues into next season, he could break it by the end of next season but that's obviously a long shot to expect >0.60 gpg at this age over that long of a timeframe.

He's missed about 75 games due to a lockout and COVID affecting the whole league. That's probably about 45 goals right there, so he could have been knocking on the door in the next couple weeks. Gretzky had a season with a lockout, costing him about 10 goals.

When does Quick get the chance to break the record? Will it be tomorrow vs Aves or Saturday vs Yotes? I can't wait to watch him do it.

When does Quick get the chance to break the record? Will it be tomorrow vs Aves or Saturday vs Yotes? I can't wait to watch him do it.
yotes imo
That would be my guess as well
Agreed - playing the Avs is another measuring stick for the Rangers and I'm sure Igor will be between the pipes. Possibly doing it at a small college hockey arena in Phoenix is probably a bit disingenuous to Quick, but it is what it is.

Possibly doing it at a small college hockey arena in Phoenix is probably a bit disingenuous to Quick, but it is what it is.
Quick got it done but it was ugly. Rags had a few 2 goal leads that they lost and turned it into a slugfest with an 8-5 win.

Pretty similar to his entire career. He made big saves when he needed to but gave up some goals when he had space to allow them. Wins are all that matter to Quick and he typically shows just enough to win.

Possibly doing it at a small college hockey arena in Phoenix is probably a bit disingenuous to Quick, but it is what it is.
Quick got it done but it was ugly. Rags had a few 2 goal leads that they lost and turned it into a slugfest with an 8-5 win.

Pretty similar to his entire career. He made big saves when he needed to but gave up some goals when he had space to allow them. Wins are all that matter to Quick and he typically shows just enough to win.
He won plenty against the Rangers in the Cup finals a decade ago, and that’s what sticks with us most.

He won plenty against the Rangers in the Cup finals a decade ago, and that’s what sticks with us most.
I was at every home playoff game that year including the double OT clincher. The winning goal was scored right below our seats and I could see it happening the whole way down the ice. It was incredible and so surreal. The most emotionally draining sporting event I have ever been to.

Yeah, last night's game was lit, but I was a little annoyed with losing Trouba and Miller for the entire damn game - Laviolette should have seen this coming and either a) told them not to get involved or else b)start 4 and 56. Hell, I would have dressed Scanlin and Ruwhedel for the opening drop. I cannot stand Vesey, and he was the only guy not ejected :wall:

Going to be some AWESOME first round playoff matchups, especially in the west where you're likely looking at:
Avs/Jets
Oilers/VGK
and very well could end up with Stars/Preds who are pretty much the two hottest teams in the NHL right now meeting in the first round.
In the East, Leafs/Panthers is a likely first round matchup. The other ones are a bit up in the air, but it looks like Bruins/Lightning.
Caps coming on strong right now but have the Wings/Isles and Pens right on their tail - honestly, Flyers may very well lose out on a playoff spot as they are fading pretty fast losing 5 in a row, with their next three games as must wins really or else they're done.

Very looking forward to the playoffs.

Congrats to Brad Marchand on his 400th career goal tonight, the 5th Bruin to score at least 400 goals for the team. Pasta looking to possibly join that club late next season (currently at 348).

3 more goals and Marchy will move into 4th all-time for the Bruins for goals, behind only Bucyk, Espo, and Bergy.

Amazing career for a kid who started as a 4th-line, energy guy.

Long time, no post. Still kicking ... unlike my namesake. :cry: Do we talk the hockeys here any more?

I'm drinking already and trying to deny the inevitable BC-BU championship showdown and how unbearable my world will be because of it.

Penguins trading for Erik Karlsson might be the worst in franchise history. He single handedly probably kept them out of the playoffs with his pathetic performance tonight. He's been awful all year but saved his worst for the biggest game of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread