What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official NHL 2023-24 Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I don't know much about this Reinbacher dude (apparently neither does Carey Price) but I was sure hoping they'd go for the potential uber-talent of Michkov as opposed to the boring predictable "steady" top-4 D-man. A 1st OA and a 5th nets them little in the way of potential stardom. I'm no GM but not wowed by their moves here.

Lucic to the Bruins. That's so Bruins. What, our defensemen kept breaking down in the series we lost and kept turning the puck over? What, we could barely break out of the zone without a problem on the back end?

Gritty retread goon winger. That's our answer.

I don't mean "our" as in "they're my team," either. Just a rhetorical device.

Last edited:
Taylor Hall will be missed by the Bruins, but apparently they had to do it for cap reasons. He showed a bunch of flashes this year when he played and fit in really well with the Bruins. Too bad.

Killorn contract was breathtaking. Never thought he’d get 4 or close to 6.5. I thought 3 years x 4.

man did we overpay/overcommit to Jarry
This is a dreadful signing and no fan is happy about it. Not sure why he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh because no one can stand him. But there is no way another team was offering that term and money for a backup level goalie at best.

the nhl is killing itself with the hard cap, especially without any meaningful increases year over year. inflation is crazy and things are getting pricier, but the NHL moves the cap $1mm YOY? i understand the overall economics, but teams can barely hold on to players. they need a bird rights for 1 or 2 players. something that allows teams to exceed in a flat market.

The Kings better be able to score 10 goals a game as they don't have anybody to stop the puck. Copley was a surprise last year but he really wasn't that good. Watching him game in and game out he seemed more just there than anything else. Maybe that is a testament to him being good but I don't buy it. I don't think Cam Talbot is an answer either.

I don't know much about Dubois but he better be all that because Villardi was finally getting it and still young. I hated to seem him go. I will say the Kings got pushed around by bigger teams so Dubois should help with that. Resigning Gavrikov was also a big bonus as well as having him for a full year will definitely be an improvement on the back end.

Not sure what bringing Lewis back into the fold will do but he was cheap. I always liked him as a player and maybe he can be a glue guy and help the youngsters. He doesn't take anything away.

I am looking forward to the season already.

Patrice Bergeron makes it official:

Gotta admit, as a B's fan reading that made me a bit misty-eyed. He was my daughter's first favorite Bruin, and she modeled her work ethic, her focus on team first, and her 200' game on the ice after Patrice. She's now doing the recruiting dance aspiring to play hockey in college, and her dream is to go to school and play in Boston.

Thanks for being her inspiration Patrice, and for bringing nothing but class to the organization for 20 years.

Cooley signing with Arizona was a bummer. I was looking forward to another year with him in Minnesota. I think he's a 60+ point guy and in the Calder conversation. Glad he still gets to play on a college rink.

Auston Matthews breaking his own extension today was pretty cool.

My thoughts on the $$$ is... who the hell cares, Matthews is a Leaf until at least the 2027-28 season. I didn't ever think he was leaving (the Arizona stuff was always hilarious for a guy who absolutely bathes in the big city spotlight like Matthews does) but nice to have it done nice and early.

Now do Nylander for 8/76 or something because we all know it's ending up around there either with the Leafs or someone else and let's go.

I love the idea in theory, but the thing about Red Zone is the anticipation of what could happen. I don’t see any way of duplicating that for the NHL, at least as far as goals are concerned, which makes it just a rapid paced highlight package.

I’d still check it out to see how it works, but :shrug: .

Cooley signing with Arizona was a bummer. I was looking forward to another year with him in Minnesota. I think he's a 60+ point guy and in the Calder conversation. Glad he still gets to play on a college rink.

Cooley had quite the goal against L.A. over in Australia. Spin-o-rama

Sick stuff

The Athletic has the Coyotes as the number twenty-four team in their projections this year. An improvement!

ESPN is creating an NHL version of 'NFL RedZone' — called ‘Frozen Frenzy’.

It launches Oct. 24th on ESPN2 with all 32 teams in action, hosted by John Buccigross.

"Fans will see every goal, every power play, and every hit."

if fans can see "every hit" this way, I guess that confirms there really aren't that many hits in the league anymore. sad.

We sticking with this thread for the year?
why not?
Tradition? I don't really care, I just know all the other years have their own separate threads.

I am really excited to watch Bedard tonight/this year. The hype seems ridiculous (Frank Seravalli has him getting over 100 points this year) but so far he's met and exceeded every expectation. That Blackhawks team doesn't give him a ton to work with but maybe Taylor Hall finds his game again and the PP should be fairly deadly with Bedard acting as both primary passer and shooter but also have the ability to find Hall and Seth Jones for big chances when all four defenders on the ice (rightfully) key on him.

FanDuel Canada has "Bedard Specials", not sure if they have them in the states. One was Bedard +115 to score a hat trick this season. I threw a bit on it. Looks like it's moved to +105 but I still really like it. McDavid did not get a hat trick in his first season FWIW. Auston Matthews scored four goals in his first NHL game.

Can someone explain to me why NSH took a timeout there? Are they just being sporting to allow TBL to rest after their icing?

B's looked solid last night...they will be OK this year...the Poitras kid looks very legit and just what the Doctor ordered...they have really caught a break with him especially since Lysall is slow to develop...Beecher brings some young, fast legs to the table and has nice size...they didn't draft him in the 1st round to be a 4th liner but he will be a nice addition...Lohrei who I think will be the real deal on D will be up sooner rather than later so that should give them 3 quality rookies this year that play regularly...not sure if Lauko is considered a rookie but he has an opportunity to solidify a regular role...for a franchise that has been thin with the prospects this has the potential to be a best-case scenario as they enter the post Bergeron/Krejci world.

Bedard is as advertised...kid looks like he is 14 but it is easy to see he is special.

Jack Hughes is finding his inner superstar.

Wings are going to be a lot better this year. Mo and Wahlman are a legit shutdown pairing (unless they are playing Hughes), better depth at D, and some better fitting vets like Sprong and Compher. DeBrincat is exactly what the offense needed,

Really wish we were back out west, Atlantic Division is unfair. :ptts:

Jack Hughes is finding his inner superstar.

Wings are going to be a lot better this year. Mo and Wahlman are a legit shutdown pairing (unless they are playing Hughes), better depth at D, and some better fitting vets like Sprong and Compher. DeBrincat is exactly what the offense needed,

Really wish we were back out west, Atlantic Division is unfair. :ptts:
i do like some of what detroit has done to join the league. they have cosa too somewhere?

toews signed for 7x7.25. yes, please!!!

colorado has following unsigned for next year:
drouin
tatar
cogliano
oluffson
tufte (restricted)
mcdermid
jack johnson
francouz
annunnen (restricted)

77m tied up with everyone else (landeskog included), so about 10m in cap space.

It's amazing how much earlier hockey season really starts when your NFL team (NYG) stinks and is dreadful to watch while your NHL team (NYD) isn't too shabby and is a lot of fun to watch.

drouin
tatar
cogliano
oluffson
tufte (restricted)
mcdermid
jack johnson
francouz
annunnen (restricted)

That's a nice list of unsigned players. Seriously, let every single one of them walk.

I am loving the super stars being super stars early this year.

Bedard is meeting the hype. Jack Hughes looks phenomenal. Auston Matthews looks like MVP Auston Matthews again (Nylander was absolutely flying too. He's going the secure the :moneybag: in a huge way). Elias Pettersson was really great. Crosby scored in game one. Rantanen/MacKinnon/Makar all big games.

Edmonton the outlier (only one game) but I think it has been about as exciting a start to the season as you can hope for.

drouin
tatar
cogliano
oluffson
tufte (restricted)
mcdermid
jack johnson
francouz
annunnen (restricted)

I'm quite curious to see how Drouin does this year. He was a train wreck for the Habs and surely one of the 5 worst trades ever for the cluib.

Users who are viewing this thread