What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2014 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Burnett to the Phillies---1 year, $16 million----just a little higher than the Bucs' offer of 1 year at 8.5 million :lol: :lol:

Burnett and Marlon Byrd will be missed. Both may have still have enough in the tank to help Philadelphia get to the playoffs.

With the money saved, the team may be able to pursue a Kendrys Morales. With 64 runs scored and 80 RBI over a full season last year and not breaking his leg jumping on home plate in 2014, Morales could be had. The Mariners now have Hart, Morrison, Morales, and Smoak. And one of the latter two will be expendable. So the Pirates can look to acquire the player Seattle doesn't want or need, unless the Orioles jump in there first.
I am not entirely sure Morales is even worth the first round pick if he plays for free. A Lambo/Sanchez platoon should give close to his production at the plate, but with better overall D.
You're forgetting that I won the World Series after signing Kendrys to my MLB The Show team (with Cutch on the cover).
:lol:

Burnett to the Phillies---1 year, $16 million----just a little higher than the Bucs' offer of 1 year at 8.5 million :lol: :lol:

Burnett and Marlon Byrd will be missed. Both may have still have enough in the tank to help Philadelphia get to the playoffs.

With the money saved, the team may be able to pursue a Kendrys Morales. With 64 runs scored and 80 RBI over a full season last year and not breaking his leg jumping on home plate in 2014, Morales could be had. The Mariners now have Hart, Morrison, Morales, and Smoak. And one of the latter two will be expendable. So the Pirates can look to acquire the player Seattle doesn't want or need, unless the Orioles jump in there first.
Full Terms of the deal.

Very glad the Pirates didn't do something that stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pirates reported offer was 1 yr 12 mil per Jon Heyman

Full Terms of the deal.

Very glad the Pirates didn't do something that stupid.
And people wonder what's wrong with baseball.

Full Terms of the deal.Very glad the Pirates didn't do something that stupid.
And people wonder what's wrong with baseball.
There are a number of things wrong with the game. The fact that everybody is making money isn't one of them.

The Orioles signed Ubaldo Jimenez to a 4-year, $50 million dollar deal. I suppose they had to move quickly on Jimenez after losing out on Burnett.

He's a pretty good pitcher, but he's no Edinson Volquez.

I like the fellow's question about Cole and fantasy ranking. If you had to chose 5 Pirates other than McCutchen and Cole irrespective of your team's needs and positions, who would you select, in rank-ordered placement?

monessen said:
I like the fellow's question about Cole and fantasy ranking. If you had to chose 5 Pirates other than McCutchen and Cole irrespective of your team's needs and positions, who would you select, in rank-ordered placement?
1. Starling Marte

2. Pedro Alvarez

3. Jason Girilli (I think Melencon is the better pitcher, but Girilli is the closer, and also a very good pitcher)

4. Francisco Liriano

5. I have no idea, don't really see any fantasy plays here.

1. Starling Marte

2. Pedro Alvarez

3. Jason Girilli (I think Melencon is the better pitcher, but Girilli is the closer, and also a very good pitcher)

4. Francisco Liriano

5. I have no idea, don't really see any fantasy plays here.
Anyone else would be a reach IMO -- Neil Walker or Russell Martin would be a decent choice in deeper leagues. Justin Wilson was on alot of rosters last year too.

The answer may be in late June when Polanco comes up from AAA

jordy mercer is good offense at SS ... mulling keeping him at $10 in my NL only league. doubt i will since i have pedro and marte.

I have a suspicion that Stolmy Pimentel sneaks his way into the rotation this year. That Hanrahan trade was a coup.

If Pedro eventually goes the way of Aramis Ramirez in the Bucs plans, it won't be pretty. But we did get Bobby Hill in that Cubs deal as forced by ownership which couldn't afford Ramirez. Hill went on to hit 2 home runs in his 3 remaining years as an MLB player. Can the transaction be counted as a total loss? Yes.

Quite an exciting off-season for the Pirates in adding significant pieces to build on last year's unexpectedly strong effort. Have had a tough time keeping up with the fierce activity. If anyone buys the lame "well, we made competitive offers" jive, they are pretty naïve. Competitive is a relative term. This front office can rationalize anything and many fans, buoyed by 2013, will buy it.

If Pedro eventually goes the way of Aramis Ramirez in the Bucs plans, it won't be pretty. But we did get Bobby Hill in that Cubs deal as forced by ownership which couldn't afford Ramirez. Hill went on to hit 2 home runs in his 3 remaining years as an MLB player. Can the transaction be counted as a total loss? Yes.

Quite an exciting off-season for the Pirates in adding significant pieces to build on last year's unexpectedly strong effort. Have had a tough time keeping up with the fierce activity. If anyone buys the lame "well, we made competitive offers" jive, they are pretty naïve. Competitive is a relative term. This front office can rationalize anything and many fans, buoyed by 2013, will buy it.
We get it, you don't like the ownership.

The Burnett signing was a huge waste of money for Philly. Who else are you wanting to sign? I personally don't want to see them throw away money.

The Burnett signing was a huge waste of money for Philly. Who else are you wanting to sign? I personally don't want to see them throw away money.
I believe you needn't worry about the Pirates throwing away money. The Nuttings may have the first dime they ever earned in business. Third-lowest payroll in MLB, is it? Sure, they got bang for the buck last year, but some of the pieces are gone. Are we happy with this present roster as competitive for 2014? Or is the organization looking to 2015 with fingers crossed?

Signing free agents is but one way to improve a team's roster. If NH and his scout(s) operated a bit more innovatively, they'd not be left to shrug and say we can't afford a Tanaka or offer Matt Garza a $50 million contract over 4 years like the large market Milwaukee Brewers. They'd be a bit bolder in proposing trades without fear of getting burned on parting with one of their much-lauded prospects. NH's mantra for trades is always "the asking price was too high."

I believe you needn't worry about the Pirates throwing away money. The Nuttings may have the first dime they ever earned in business. Third-lowest payroll in MLB, is it? Sure, they got bang for the buck last year, but some of the pieces are gone. Are we happy with this present roster as competitive for 2014? Or is the organization looking to 2015 with fingers crossed?

Signing free agents is but one way to improve a team's roster. If NH and his scout(s) operated a bit more innovatively, they'd not be left to shrug and say we can't afford a Tanaka or offer Matt Garza a $50 million contract over 4 years like the large market Milwaukee Brewers. They'd be a bit bolder in proposing trades without fear of getting burned on parting with one of their much-lauded prospects. NH's mantra for trades is always "the asking price was too high."
this will not be a good deal

this will not be a good deal
It likely would have taken more to get him to Pittsburgh. Just that another team would have been bidding would likely have driven up his price. I am quite happy Pittsburgh didn't go after him. With the talent they have in their pipeline, he would quite possibly be worthless after a couple of years.

Gaby Sanchez/Travis Ishikawa platoon at 1B. :bag: / :bag:
The Sanchez half is fine. They need to find a left handed 1B. I expect them to be active in the trade market. This should be a relatively cheap pickup.
You'd think it would be easy to find a major league bat who can play 1B but then you look at what the Brewers, Yankees and Astros put on the field last year.

ETA: case in point: the A's are apparently going to open the year with a Daric Barton/Alberto Callaspo platoon at 1B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see Marte now signed long term. Doubt they'll be able to do that with Alvarez and Cole, but at least they have now locked up two of their horses for the next 5+years.

Copeman said:
Good to see Marte now signed long term. Doubt they'll be able to do that with Alvarez and Cole, but at least they have now locked up two of their horses for the next 5+years.
That's a good deal. I'm a little nervous about the Taillon elbow discomfort. Any setbacks and I doubt we see him in the majors this year.

I'm mildly surprised to see Vin Mazzaro DFAed. He was an important part of a good bullpen last year.

here is how little respect the pirates are still getting (lol at this but i found it interesting).

in my rotis auction sunday, aj burnett went for $10 ... charlie morton went for $2 ... granted we're in philly and all, but that's stupid.

how about juan francisco for 1B?

I'm mildly surprised to see Vin Mazzaro DFAed. He was an important part of a good bullpen last year.
Bryan Morris had a tremendous spring, otherwise I think he would be the odd man out.

From what I've read, there is alot of trade interest in Mazzaro and that Huntington said he'd be surprised if it came to the waivers process.

here is how little respect the pirates are still getting (lol at this but i found it interesting).

in my rotis auction sunday, aj burnett went for $10 ... charlie morton went for $2 ... granted we're in philly and all, but that's stupid.

how about juan francisco for 1B?
How about anyone at 1B?

Gaby Sanchez/Travis Ishikawa platoon at 1B. :bag: / :bag:
Pretty bad when my grandmother even says they need a first baseman.
Your grandmother happens to be a baseball savant
Is she married?
Yeah, and my grandad is still pretty spry for 85. He hasnt been in a fight since the 1940's probably, but I wouldnt mess with him.
God bless 'em both

Pirates don't play a team outside of their division until April 29th :o Needless to say, it's important that this team gets off to a good start this year.

Users who are viewing this thread