What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pittsburgh Pirates 2014 Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Good to see Marte now signed long term. Doubt they'll be able to do that with Alvarez and Cole, but at least they have now locked up two of their horses for the next 5+years.
That's a good deal. I'm a little nervous about the Taillon elbow discomfort. Any setbacks and I doubt we see him in the majors this year.
http://www.piratesprospects.com/2014/04/jameson-taillon-had-second-opinion-now-all-parties-quiet-as-pirates-decide-the-next-step.html

2-0 ... offense struggling.

morton pitched well, so that's good.

pretty sure i want melancon out of the 8th inning ASAP. like, NOW.

tony watson is good.

pedro alvarez ... probably needs a RH pinch hitter once in a while in big situations ... seventh inning or later.

Good to see Marte now signed long term. Doubt they'll be able to do that with Alvarez and Cole, but at least they have now locked up two of their horses for the next 5+years.
That's a good deal. I'm a little nervous about the Taillon elbow discomfort. Any setbacks and I doubt we see him in the majors this year.
http://www.piratesprospects.com/2014/04/jameson-taillon-had-second-opinion-now-all-parties-quiet-as-pirates-decide-the-next-step.html
See you in 2015 Jameson (or perhaps 2016)

After 3 games, looks just like last year. The pitching has been dominant. Period. And PNC remains a tough place for scoring, though no MLB offense looks to be tearing things up from the get-go. Beyond that, Hurdle has good timing, all things considered, on how/when to use the bullpen.

Don't know how much thought has been given to Russell Martin at DH against AL teams' left-handers if Tony Sanchez plays well. If the Bucs stand pat with the roster until then, while starting Gaby and Tabata against lefties, both Tony S and Martin may be the best right-handed hitters for those match-ups. And it would keep Martin in the game if needed for later behind the plate.

Boras may bark at this notion since agents have inordinate clout these days on what/when/where their clients' can perform. But we've talked often on the need for a complement to Gaby. Maybe Pedro Alvarez is that player instead of their present option. Locating a good acquisition to play third could be a bit easier than the quest for an MLB left-handed hitting first-baseman. If Pedro is not the long-term answer at third (or even on the team in a few years), a position switch sooner instead of later may be wise.

There is a lot of good buzz on the Pirates. This squad has a more determined "don't quit" disposition which appeared to surface more clearly last June. Didn't seem to be true under John Russell a few years ago.

Hope Tailon is not hurt significantly, since it would deflate the balloon.

The series with St. Louis ought to be engaging. Imagine, heightened interest in a Pirates' series in April.

pretty sure i want melancon out of the 8th inning ASAP. like, NOW.
Yes, I dont see why this is a given at this point with how good the pen is/is expected to be. It looked like he got figured out late last season and hasnt comeback with an answer.

monessen said:
Don't know how much thought has been given to Russell Martin at DH against AL teams' left-handers if Tony Sanchez plays well. If the Bucs stand pat with the roster until then, while starting Gaby and Tabata against lefties, both Tony S and Martin may be the best right-handed hitters for those match-ups. And it would keep Martin in the game if needed for later behind the plate.

Boras may bark at this notion since agents have inordinate clout these days on what/when/where their clients' can perform. But we've talked often on the need for a complement to Gaby. Maybe Pedro Alvarez is that player instead of their present option. Locating a good acquisition to play third could be a bit easier than the quest for an MLB left-handed hitting first-baseman. If Pedro is not the long-term answer at third (or even on the team in a few years), a position switch sooner instead of later may be wise.
I dont see why not per the bolded. Honestly, I dont understand why Tabata isnt the (mostly) everyday RF until Polanco gets called up. Snider's chances/deserving of his apparent role has set its sail IMO.

GL on moving Pedro to 1B Id guess.

Tommy John.

Tommy John.
Ok well the Bucs still have a solid club right now and have some pretty good depth in the minors. It sucks that Taillon won't contribute until 2016 at the earliest but hopefully he will still have a strong career ahead of him. There have been success stories of guys coming off TJ

Tommy John.
Ok well the Bucs still have a solid club right now and have some pretty good depth in the minors. It sucks that Taillon won't contribute until 2016 at the earliest but hopefully he will still have a strong career ahead of him. There have been success stories of guys coming off TJ
Tommy John, for one.

Tommy John.
It definitely stinks for the near term, as he was considered a blue chip prospect. But I have also read that the Pirates have another wave of highly regarded pitchers making their way up from the low minors (Glasnow, Kingham, and Heredia).

With Polanco on the horizon, the offense should be solid, but they need to find another pitcher next to Cole to bring them into the future.

Tommy John.
It definitely stinks for the near term, as he was considered a blue chip prospect. But I have also read that the Pirates have another wave of highly regarded pitchers making their way up from the low minors (Glasnow, Kingham, and Heredia).

With Polanco on the horizon, the offense should be solid, but they need to find another pitcher next to Cole to bring them into the future.
I've heard some experts say that Kingham may end up better than Taillon in the long run (this was before the TJ news). Glasgow and Heredia are also coveted prospects and they have a few others who can add solid depth. This is why I'm not devastated by the Taillon news. As you mentioned, Polanco will be up soon and that will hopefully immediately fix their hole in RF. Unlike past years, this team can absorb a huge hit like they took today.

fred_1_15301 said:
Balco said:
fred_1_15301 said:
Plorfu said:
Tommy John.

I've heard some experts say that Kingham may end up better than Taillon in the long run (this was before the TJ news). Glasgow and Heredia are also coveted prospects and they have a few others who can add solid depth. This is why I'm not devastated by the Taillon news. As you mentioned, Polanco will be up soon and that will hopefully immediately fix their hole in RF. Unlike past years, this team can absorb a huge hit like they took today.
Dont forget Brandon Cumpton in AAA as well, a really solid option there -- Polanco really needs to be up in the majors ASAP.

Nice win last night - Morton didnt have his best stuff but offense helped pick him up and win a NL Central game. Off to a decent start for sure.

Maybe this games turns our way later with HRs again, but Liriano was crushing it downstairs with sliders and changes and then decides to throw high fastballs and were down 3-0 quick.

Only eleven games in, I know, but April is not telling us much on how good this team may be. Kind of a mixed bag.

Another game where the only form of offense from the Pirates is a 1 run home run. You would think that six in one game would be enough to handle the Reds. Nope

Burnett to the Phillies---1 year, $16 million----just a little higher than the Bucs' offer of 1 year at 8.5 million :lol: :lol:

Burnett and Marlon Byrd will be missed. Both may have still have enough in the tank to help Philadelphia get to the playoffs.

With the money saved, the team may be able to pursue a Kendrys Morales. With 64 runs scored and 80 RBI over a full season last year and not breaking his leg jumping on home plate in 2014, Morales could be had. The Mariners now have Hart, Morrison, Morales, and Smoak. And one of the latter two will be expendable. So the Pirates can look to acquire the player Seattle doesn't want or need, unless the Orioles jump in there first.
Full Terms of the deal.

Very glad the Pirates didn't do something that stupid.
Again, very glad.

Travis Snider is not exactly disappointing thus far. :o
I think he could a trade candidate later this year if he can keep it up or possibly get a look at 1B.
Not sure what he makes per year, but if he continues hitting the way he has, I would think it would be tough/stupid to trade him, especially since he would finally be showing the Pirates what they had hoped he would show them. They've been pretty patient with the guy. I'd hate for this to be Brandon Moss all over again.

I think he could a trade candidate later this year if he can keep it up or possibly get a look at 1B.
Not sure what he makes per year, but if he continues hitting the way he has, I would think it would be tough/stupid to trade him, especially since he would finally be showing the Pirates what they had hoped he would show them. They've been pretty patient with the guy. I'd hate for this to be Brandon Moss all over again.
This. Brandon Moss, or god forbid Jose Bautista.

That game last night was fun as #### to watch, hopefully they can can get a W out of it today. Any word on who were expected to roll out onto the mound in the 7th?

Kenny Powers said:
Copeman said:
Drunken Cowboy said:
Copeman said:
This. Brandon Moss, or god forbid Jose Bautista.
They aren't going to block Polanco for him though.

Burnett to the Phillies---1 year, $16 million----just a little higher than the Bucs' offer of 1 year at 8.5 million :lol: :lol:

Burnett and Marlon Byrd will be missed. Both may have still have enough in the tank to help Philadelphia get to the playoffs.

With the money saved, the team may be able to pursue a Kendrys Morales. With 64 runs scored and 80 RBI over a full season last year and not breaking his leg jumping on home plate in 2014, Morales could be had. The Mariners now have Hart, Morrison, Morales, and Smoak. And one of the latter two will be expendable. So the Pirates can look to acquire the player Seattle doesn't want or need, unless the Orioles jump in there first.
Full Terms of the deal.

Again, very glad.
And are you enjoying how the Pirates have not spent what they saved on Burnett to improve the club?

Full Terms of the deal.

Again, very glad.
And are you enjoying how the Pirates have not spent what they saved on Burnett to improve the club?
This is who they gave the money to

The Orioles signed Ubaldo Jimenez to a 4-year, $50 million dollar deal. I suppose they had to move quickly on Jimenez after losing out on Burnett.

He's a pretty good pitcher, but he's no Edinson Volquez.
Oh yes. I mentioned Volquez a couple of months ago. Could be this year's Liriano if this year's Liriano becomes last year's Volquez.

Wasn't saying they should have signed Burnett or Byrd, just that they could focus on how to use the money saved. Perhaps they are still trying to determine the best way. Or it has been spent. Been a good year for skiing in West Virginia. Winter is hanging on. Am sure there are resorts in WV that have been upgraded if you catch my (snow) drift.

Great win last night, Volquez had another QS and the offense showed up in a big way.

Against the hated Brewers no less as well!

Users who are viewing this thread