What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Playstation 4 Thread (1 Viewer)

A simple search on twitter using #ps4 will tell you all you need to know about what system everyone is buying this fall. Seems like MSFT has made quite a few costly mistakes.

Anyone see anything about Sony allowing publishers to utilize "used game passes"? I read a comment that insinuated this was in a spec sheet or something.

Seems similar to Microsoft's policy, if true.

As of right now, I'm waiting till possibly next year to buy a next gen unit. But if I had to buy one this holiday season, it would be the PS4, hands down.

Smart marketing ideas by Sony here. Cheaper than xb1. No drm issues with used games. Announce it all after Microsoft drops their bomb. A lot of wins there. They can slip a monthly fee for psn in there because of these points. People either wont care because xbox live already charges or they will care but not so much to not pay it.

Very smart so far.

Anyone see anything about Sony allowing publishers to utilize "used game passes"? I read a comment that insinuated this was in a spec sheet or something. Seems similar to Microsoft's policy, if true.
I doubt that they'll prevent publishers from doing that, but it's been a huge failure for the ones that have tried it on the PS3 and 360. And allowing publishers to come up with their own scheme and baking the DRM right into the system seems like a gigantic difference to me.

As of right now, I'm waiting till possibly next year to buy a next gen unit. But if I had to buy one this holiday season, it would be the PS4, hands down.
As much as I vastly prefer my 360 over my PS3 today, I feel the same way this next generation.

Before yesterday I was pretty heavily skewed toward the XB1. But Sony looked really, really good in their presentation. I still don't care about the whole DRM/used game thing, but the price point and potentially larger number of people buying the PS4 may tip me in that direction. Neither console showed me any games that are must have, IMO so I'll be sitting out for a bit to see how this plays out.

Anyone see anything about Sony allowing publishers to utilize "used game passes"? I read a comment that insinuated this was in a spec sheet or something. Seems similar to Microsoft's policy, if true.
I doubt that they'll prevent publishers from doing that, but it's been a huge failure for the ones that have tried it on the PS3 and 360.And allowing publishers to come up with their own scheme and baking the DRM right into the system seems like a gigantic difference to me.
Well it's two separate issues right? The "24 hour check-in" is one issue and the used game policy is another.

If neither company puts any in-house restrictions on used games but leaves it up to the publishers, then it's a wash on that one. I still don't quite understand microsoft's game "sharing" policy. Hoping they clarify that this week.

Same here. I really want to learn more about DriveClub, since it's apparently "free" at launch, assuming a PS+ membership which is now annoyingly required for online play. Back at the February reveal, it looked like a GT/Forza wannabe, which I have no interest in at all. But yesterday it looked more like an arcade-style racer, which I have a lot of interest in (The Crew looked like a really good possibility too). But I'm probably looking at PS4 + Battlefield on day one, unless I see something really bad about Battlefield.

Welcome to the dark side fellow ex Xboxers. I got tired of getting nickeled and dimed to death by MS way back when. Glad to see Sony actually listening to their customers as opposed to just doing anything and everything to make it a money grab.

amazon has this available for pre-order for 399.99...but a release date of dec 31, weird release date

I think I am 100% in but will likely wait until late 2014 early 2015 to jump in to allow the games to build up and come down in price via the after market.

I have no horse in this race so I just hope both consoles come out relatively bug free hardware wise for the early adopters. The last generation was not smooth with the over heating issues.

amazon has this available for pre-order for 399.99...but a release date of dec 31, weird release date
I think it's because Sony hasn't announced a specific date yet. They just said 'holiday season' 2013. Which makes retailers like amazon list the release date as the latest possible day in that window.

Same with XB1. I think someone said 'November 2013', so amazon has it listed for the last day of November.

I think it's because Sony hasn't announced a specific date yet. They just said 'holiday season' 2013. Which makes retailers like amazon list the release date as the latest possible day in that window.

Same with XB1. I think someone said 'November 2013', so amazon has it listed for the last day of November.
:goodposting:

12/31 is just a placeholder.

I think I am 100% in but will likely wait until late 2014 early 2015 to jump in to allow the games to build up and come down in price via the after market.I have no horse in this race so I just hope both consoles come out relatively bug free hardware wise for the early adopters. The last generation was not smooth with the over heating issues.
Same here. I'm so far behind in the 360 games I already have that there's no rush for me to get either the One or PS4.

There is still time to change my mind but I'm leaning PS4 now. If nothing changes then it's a slam dunk, but I'm still feeling like maybe Sony has some bad secrets they might not be sharing with us yet. And MS may be able to change directions before launch.

There is still time to change my mind but I'm leaning PS4 now. If nothing changes then it's a slam dunk, but I'm still feeling like maybe Sony has some bad secrets they might not be sharing with us yet. And MS may be able to change directions before launch.
I'm going to guess the only things they can change are the connected at least once in a 24 hour period or kinect connection required. I'm guessing the publishers and exclusive deals were conditioned on the used games issue.

Probably will be going Sony after years with xbox. Dumb question, is the PS4 backward capable? Wouldn't mind paying all the Sony exclusives I missed out on this era

My bad. I guess the answer is a qualified "yes" in that it will be a streaming service for PS3 titles.
So based on that, some PS3 titles will be available, but you won't be able to play any PS3 games you own on your PS4. You'll have to re-purchase them?
That would be my guess unless they do some sort of disc-to-digital program like Vudu or Cinemanow does. But I'm not holding my breath for that.

Worm said:
Anyone see anything about Sony allowing publishers to utilize "used game passes"? I read a comment that insinuated this was in a spec sheet or something.

Seems similar to Microsoft's policy, if true.
only xbox will be restricting used games.. ps4 decided not to

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Worm said:
GroveDiesel said:
Worm said:
I doubt that they'll prevent publishers from doing that, but it's been a huge failure for the ones that have tried it on the PS3 and 360.And allowing publishers to come up with their own scheme and baking the DRM right into the system seems like a gigantic difference to me.
Well it's two separate issues right? The "24 hour check-in" is one issue and the used game policy is another. If neither company puts any in-house restrictions on used games but leaves it up to the publishers, then it's a wash on that one. I still don't quite understand microsoft's game "sharing" policy. Hoping they clarify that this week.
Actually, the 24 hour check in is specifically to enforce the DRM related to used games, etc.

Andy Dufresne said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Have they said what the hard drive capacity is?
500 GB

Of course, I just put a 750gb hard drive in my PS3. :flex:
SSD?
Yes. Mine might have been a little easier because I have an original 60gb model. Don't know if the process is the same with the new slim models.

Edit: Wait. Not an SSD. It was a SATA 2.5" drive. Here are the directions I followed.
I was asking about the PS4 drive, actually. If I'm going to upgrade to the PS4, I would like to have an SSD in it. Guess I could always put it in after the fact, but that would make the PS4 much more expensive.

No way it's an SSD in a $399 console. A ~500gb SSD would almost match the price you're paying for the entire console itself.

I've only owned xboxes. Can somebody break down why everyone's switching to the PS4?
Better graphics, cheaper, no DRM, no always-online, no kinect required. Only advantage xbox has is a better multi-player system.
And better exclusive/first offering. The only advantage is the one the majority of gamers care about. Although has PS4 stated anything about their network? Maybe it's better.

I've only owned xboxes. Can somebody break down why everyone's switching to the PS4?
Better graphics, cheaper, no DRM, no always-online, no kinect required. Only advantage xbox has is a better multi-player system.
And better exclusive/first offering. The only advantage is the one the majority of gamers care about. Although has PS4 stated anything about their network? Maybe it's better.
I think you may be the only person who thinks that one console's launch or near-launch lineup is clearly superior to the other's. Obviously if you saw something during Microsoft's conference that struck your fancy, great. But I don't think I've seen anybody else making the argument that anybody has "won" the exclusive lineup contest this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread