What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Anyone know anything about the USL? I JUST found out yesterday that apparently, there's a soccer team in Orlando, although you'd never know it. I've never seen one ad, one billboard, not even a flyer in the mail about it until yesterday. Apparently, though, they have home games coming up against Seville FC of Puerto Rico, and Bolton & Newcastle. Wondering if it's worth the trek to attend one of these.
Looks like the Orlando team will be playing Charelston in the next round of the US Open Cup.Just learned yesterday that Charleston will be hosting Portsmouth FC next month.
Forgot to say..."Oooooooooooh yeah !!!!"Love crowing over a team I didn't know existed until about a week or two ago. :lol:
Congrats on your newly discovered team's victory. I didn't attend the match, but the Battery have been in sad form lately.

Löw calls time on Ballack

Frankfurt/Main - Michael Ballack's career with the German national team has come to an end.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Former captain Michael Ballack has described as a "farce" an offer to end his Germany career with a friendly against Brazil in August, saying on Friday he was not being treated with respect by coach Joachim Loew.

The German football federation has offered Ballack, kept on as official captain despite recent injuries, a 99th and final international against Brazil.

Farewell match against Brazil?

"It goes without saying that Michael Ballack should be given an attractive farewell from the national team, as well as a massive thank-you for his services to German football."
Furious Ballack calls farewell match a 'farce'
BERLIN (Reuters) - Former captain Michael Ballack has described as a "farce" an offer to end his Germany career with a friendly against Brazil in August, saying on Friday he was not being treated with respect by coach Joachim Loew.

On Thursday Loew ruled out using the 34-year-old Bayer Leverkusen midfielder again, saying a number of talented younger players were now more important ahead of Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

"To call a friendly match that was arranged long ago a farewell match is a farce. I know I owe my fans this match but I cannot accept the offer," Ballack said in a statement.

The decision comes as a result of talks between head coach Joachim Löw and the long-time captain of the DFB eleven.

You guys ever heard of The American Outlaws? I know about Sam's Army, but I think these guys are new, and a bit more "agro".
Yes. It is an excellent group of fans started in all places of Nebraska. I think it goes back to 2007 with a small group and now they have official chapters in 48 cities. When you see the supporters group at games it is now pretty much an even mix of SAMs Army and the Outlaws. The Outlaws tend to be younger and more progressive in their thinking. I highly recommend any one who is interested in supporting the US join either the outlaws or the army.

Interesting bit of trivia.

Canada was losing 2-1 to England in the U17 World Cup late. Canada tied the score on a goal by their goal keeper (he played a long ball into the box that everyone misplayed and bounced in).

It mark the very first time in history that a gk scored a goal in any FIFA finals.

The US U17's are in rare position. Every team in group has one win and one loss after the first two games. US is in a dead tie I believe right now with NZ in first.

Here are the scenarios for the US going into the last game via Wiki. Any other scenario means awaiting all 3rd place teams to complete their games.

United States advance if

they defeat New Zealand or

they draw and Czech Republic and Uzbekistan draw

will be eliminated if they lose and either

Czech Republic and Uzbekistan draw or

Uzbekistan lose and their margin is at least 5 goals less than United States' margin (4 if Uzbekistan score more) or

Czech Republic lose and their margin is at least 5 goals less than United States' margin (4 if Czech Republic score at least 4 more)

The final group games will be played simultaneously so that no one has an advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley Young to Manchester Utd for 17M pounds

Second English signing this summer. Curious move with the number of wingers they have already - Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs. Dont know if Park will be back so maybe thats the rationale. Also, the price, while artificially high because hes English, is not as outrageous as I wouldve thought. Wright Phillips cost 20M+ plus and was not as accomplished as Young IMO.
They got a good deal because he only had one year left on his contract.It would seem to counter-balance the ridiculous amount of money they spent on Jones.
With Park at 30 already wondering if he has a future at United as his skills decline (I guess he feels 30 is old) and Giggs surely considering retirement as well, Young comes in and gives them a future at winger. PLUS, he is someone that can move up top if need be. And with all the injuries they had this year, youth and depth is something SAF may be thinking about.

There is also a rumor that Bayern will be offering up 30 mill for Nani. And if Berbatov is moved, what a great way to pay for Sneijder or Modric.

Here is the complete list of free transfers in the EPL. Toronto has made an offer to Owen Hargreaves already

Arsenal

Cruise, Thomas Daniel

Deacon, Roarie

Randall, Mark

Aston Villa

Berry, Durrell Joel

Carew, John

Deeney, Ellis John Paul

Flanagan, Calum Reiss

Forrester, Harry Lee

Halfhuid, Arsenio Amerencio

Osbourne, Isaiah George

Pires, Robert

Reo-Coker, Nigel Shola Andre

Salifou, Moustapha

Birmingham City

Bent, Marcus Nathan

Bowyer, Lee David

Larsson, Sebastian Bengt Ulf

McFadden, James

McPike, Mitchell Leslie

O'Shea, James

Parnaby, Stuart

Phillips, Kevin Mark

Preston, Daniel Sean

Rowe, Luke Jonothan

Shroot, Robin

Taylor, Maik Stefan

Blackburn Rovers

Bowen, Jordan Dale

Brown, Jason Roy

Khizanishvili, Zurab

Mwaruwari, Benjani

Potts, Michael Craig Thomas

Rigters, Maceo

Blackpool

Carney, David

Coid, Daniel John

Demontagnac, Ishmel

Edwards, Robert Owen

Euell, Jason Joseph

Harewood, Marlon Anderson

Kingson, Richard

Martin, Malaury

Rachubka, Paul Stephen

Reid, Andrew Matthew

Sbai, Salaheddine

Bolton Wanderers

Cohen, Tamir

Elmander, Johan Erik Calvin

Gardner, Ricardo

O'Brien, Joseph Martin

Samuel, Jlloyd

Sheridan, Samuel

Chelsea

Hutchinson, Samuel Edward

Magnay, Carl

Philliskirk, Daniel

Sebek, Jan

Woods, Michael James

Everton

Agard, Kieran Ricardo

Akpan, Hope

Craig, Nathan

Kinsella, Gerard

McArdle, Lee J

Turner, Iain

Fulham

Gera, Zoltan

Johnson, Edward

Kamara, Diomansy

Pantsil, John

Saunders, Matthew

Liverpool

Banton, Jason

Chamberlain, Deale

Cooper, Alexander Douglas

Highdale, Sean

Irwin, Steven Alan

Saric, Nikola

Manchester City

Garrido, Javier

Kay, Scott John David

Logan, Shaleum

Poole, James Alexander

Tutte, Andrew William

Vidal, Javan

Vieira, Patrick

Wood, James Robert Fraser

Manchester United

Devlin, Conor

Hargreaves, Owen

Neville, Gary Alexander

Scholes, Paul

Van Der Sar, Edwin

Newcastle United

Campbell, Sulzeer Jeremiah

Kuqi, Shefki

McLaughlin, Patrick Joseph

Stoke City

Faye, Abdoulaye Diagne

Gudjohnsen, Eidur Smari

Sonko, Ibrahima

Sunderland

Kay, Michael Joseph

Luscombe, Nathan John

Madden, Daniel Richard

Weir, Robert James

Wilson, Nathan

Yves Mvoto Owono, Jean

Zenden, Boudewijn

Tottenham Hotspur

Woodgate, Jonathan Simon

West Bromwich Albion

Barnes, Giles Gordon

Haber, Marcus

Kiely, Dean Lawrence

Meite, Abdoulaye

West Ham United

Edgar, Anthony James

Eyjolfsson, Holmar Orn

Gabbidon, Daniel Leon

Jacobsen, Lars Christian

Modelski, Filip

Spector, Jonathan Michael Paul

Street, Adam Owen

Upson, Matthew James

Wigan Athletic

Caldwell, Steven

De Ridder, Daniel

Holt, Joseph

Koumas, Jason

Lambert, Daniel Thomas

Oakes, Thomas Philip

Pollitt, Michael Francis

Serrano Davila, Abian Jose

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Basso, Adriano

Craddock, Jody Darryl

Dunleavy, John Francis

Hahnemann, Marcus Stephan

Jones, David Frank Llwyd

Canada was losing 2-1 to England in the U17 World Cup late. Canada tied the score on a goal by their goal keeper (he played a long ball into the box that everyone misplayed and bounced in).

It mark the very first time in history that a gk scored a goal in any FIFA finals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_vmCPUrP8I&feature=related
I'm a bit of a n00b, but why doesn't someone put a little pressure on him to keep the ball out of the box, if nothing else?

I'm a bit of a n00b, but why doesn't someone put a little pressure on him to keep the ball out of the box, if nothing else?
It is a good question. I have no idea why he was not challenged close to midfield. It is not like they had everyone in the box either.

U17

If the US and NZ draw tomorrow I think they will have to have a coin flip to determine their respective spots in the group as I think every tie breaker will be equal.

Here is the TV information for the two US games tomorrow.

U17 World Cup: US vs NZ. 7:00pm eastern ESPNU/ESPN3 live Galavision delayed

Gold Cup Final: US vs Mexico. 9:00pm eastern FSC/Univision live

Note for those looking to DVR, the FSC schedule has not updated yet, at least on DirectTv. Hopefully they will fix soon.

That's some classic English goal keeping right there. He'll fit right in with the National Team.

Probably a combination of the fact that it was late in the game and no one wanted to commit to the GK and leave one of the defenders uncovered.

That's some classic English goal keeping right there. He'll fit right in with the National Team.
I wouldn't call it classic. Up until the last 10 years England had exceptional goalkeepers. Gordon Banks, Ray Clemence, Peter Shilton & David Seaman.

I wouldn't call it classic. Up until the last 10 years England had exceptional goalkeepers. Gordon Banks, Ray Clemence, Peter Shilton & David Seaman.
You forgot David Seaman's Moustache & David Seaman's Ponytail.

You forgot David Seaman's Moustache & David Seaman's Ponytail.
Swashbuckling looks aside, he was pretty solid :lmao:

Second English signing this summer. Curious move with the number of wingers they have already - Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs. Dont know if Park will be back so maybe thats the rationale. Also, the price, while artificially high because hes English, is not as outrageous as I wouldve thought. Wright Phillips cost 20M+ plus and was not as accomplished as Young IMO.
They got a good deal because he only had one year left on his contract.It would seem to counter-balance the ridiculous amount of money they spent on Jones.
With Park at 30 already wondering if he has a future at United as his skills decline (I guess he feels 30 is old) and Giggs surely considering retirement as well, Young comes in and gives them a future at winger. PLUS, he is someone that can move up top if need be. And with all the injuries they had this year, youth and depth is something SAF may be thinking about.

There is also a rumor that Bayern will be offering up 30 mill for Nani. And if Berbatov is moved, what a great way to pay for Sneijder or Modric.
I really like the Young signing. He's never really been given an opportunity to play important soccer with a world class side. I do agree that United now has too many wings, but I think Park's time at OT is about over. While what he offered in the way of work rate and effort will be difficult to replace, he was never a prolific piece of the attack. Also, while United has went on record saying they will not sell Nani, I'd be totally fine if they went ahead and got rid of him for top dollar. I doubt his value will be any higher. This almost assuredly will be Giggs last year also. United's biggest glaring concern is central midfield. I don't see them getting Modric, asking price is ridiculous. I don't think they get Snejidar either. But, they need to get someone in there quickly. Their attack and defense will be stout, but without a link to build through the middle, they are going to have trouble scoring, and moreseo keeping possession. Sure, they'll be flying down the wings all day with Young, Nani, Valencia, Rafael, Evra, et al....but this may not lead to goals, just lots of dangerous balls.

I'm also interested to see who will take set pieces in scoring position. Young, Nani, Rooney and Giggs are all gonna be standing over the ball.

Berbatov gonna be a tricky one. Overpaid, underrespected, kinda damned if you do move him, damned if you don't. United wouldn't have been top 3, let alone with the premier league without Berbatov from Sept-begging of 11. Rooney was hurt, out, ineffective, Hernandez was finding his place, dude played great every game. Pretty big slap in the face for SAF to not dress him for the CL final. I'm not saying he would have hit the pitch, but come on, at least let him suit up.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him one more year. Maybe a guy like Welbeck can take the next step and make him expendable and not have them need to resign Owen.

Juventus has quietly built up a pretty formidable side. Always rooted for them, got a bit pissed when they offed Diego, but I think next year they make it back to CL play for sure. bunch of new faces, locked up four guys already, including Matri, melo for Meireles would be an effing steal.

I really like the Young signing. He's never really been given an opportunity to play important soccer with a world class side. I do agree that United now has too many wings, but I think Park's time at OT is about over. While what he offered in the way of work rate and effort will be difficult to replace, he was never a prolific piece of the attack. Also, while United has went on record saying they will not sell Nani, I'd be totally fine if they went ahead and got rid of him for top dollar. I doubt his value will be any higher. This almost assuredly will be Giggs last year also. United's biggest glaring concern is central midfield. I don't see them getting Modric, asking price is ridiculous. I don't think they get Snejidar either. But, they need to get someone in there quickly. Their attack and defense will be stout, but without a link to build through the middle, they are going to have trouble scoring, and moreseo keeping possession. Sure, they'll be flying down the wings all day with Young, Nani, Valencia, Rafael, Evra, et al....but this may not lead to goals, just lots of dangerous balls.

I'm also interested to see who will take set pieces in scoring position. Young, Nani, Rooney and Giggs are all gonna be standing over the ball.

Berbatov gonna be a tricky one. Overpaid, underrespected, kinda damned if you do move him, damned if you don't. United wouldn't have been top 3, let alone with the premier league without Berbatov from Sept-begging of 11. Rooney was hurt, out, ineffective, Hernandez was finding his place, dude played great every game. Pretty big slap in the face for SAF to not dress him for the CL final. I'm not saying he would have hit the pitch, but come on, at least let him suit up.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him one more year. Maybe a guy like Welbeck can take the next step and make him expendable and not have them need to resign Owen.

Juventus has quietly built up a pretty formidable side. Always rooted for them, got a bit pissed when they offed Diego, but I think next year they make it back to CL play for sure. bunch of new faces, locked up four guys already, including Matri, melo for Meireles would be an effing steal.
:goodposting: True, you cant deny what Berb meant to United to start the year. And I agree he should have been on the bench over Owen for the CL final. However, he never really fit in with the United style and his goals all came in bunches. If he scored it usually meant he would get three in that game. United are a fast break hit you in transition kind of team. Their speed is 2nd to none with Rooney, Chicharito, Nani, Valencia, Evra and I hope Young has the speed to burn. Berb is a more slow down and keep possesion methodical plodder. He doesnt have the speed to run like the others. It can be difficult to change styles when he comes on. BUT he did keep them going while Rooney was bad. They may need to keep Berb although if they do and Welbeck or Macheda shows something, Berb could be gone in January too.

When Nani is unselfish he is a fantastic player. All too often he tries to go Ronaldo and hang on to the ball, stepovers galore, and kills the runs up front. If they can get 30 for him, and 20 for Berbatov (whos value may never be higher as co EPL scoring leader) then they have the cash to go after Sneijder. Modric isnt going anywhere and Tottenham needs him to challenge for CL next year.

United's depth in the back (Evra, Rafael, Fabio, Rio, Vidic, Jones, Smalling),on the wing (Nani, Park, Giggs, Valencia, Young and in a pinch Rafael and Fabio and do we dare mention Obertan?) and up front (Rooney, Chicharito, Welback, Macheda, Owen, Berbatov) is fantastic. Midfield is an issue. Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson... I know I am missing a few.

I think Young is a bad fit for United. Wynalda has pointed out before that Young is the type of winger who drives forwards nuts. Because you have no idea when he's going to cross. It's really hard to time your runs with him. I say Rooney tears his throat out by December.

I think Young is a bad fit for United. Wynalda has pointed out before that Young is the type of winger who drives forwards nuts. Because you have no idea when he's going to cross. It's really hard to time your runs with him. I say Rooney tears his throat out by December.
I hope thats not the case. But if he doesnt learn to serve the ball at the right time, he will be sitting next to Bebe and Obertan!
Almost the entire contingent of American fans have assembled early at the Rose Bowl. Z, is that you in the white hat?

http://yfrog.com/kkicmoj
now thats funny!

'newteech said:
figured this would be the best thread to ask this:My daughter is 4 and I want to start helping her with her soccer skills. Right now about all she can do is kick the ball forward about five feet.Tips? suggestions and/or drills I could introduce to her?TIA
She's 4, just let her enjoy kicking the ball.

'newteech said:
figured this would be the best thread to ask this:My daughter is 4 and I want to start helping her with her soccer skills. Right now about all she can do is kick the ball forward about five feet.Tips? suggestions and/or drills I could introduce to her?TIA
Slightly older girls do well with a "Red Light/Green Light" game. When I assistant coached my friend's 6 year old's team, I'd have the girls dribble the ball when I yelled "Green Light." They had to stop the ball when I yelled "Red Light." If the ball was far away from their body when they had to stop, they were "out." The girl that finished first (it was about 30 yards with maybe 3 calls of "Red Light") won.

'scoobygang said:
This is not the first time I've heard this criticism in regard to Young, but the exact same has been said of Nani in the past too. A forward makes a run to a spot, only to see Nani fail to deliver a cross, and try to take the defender 1v1. Nani has worked out alright. Further, the forwards that United will employ are not necessarily space eaters that necessitate arial crosses to score, such as AV had with Carew and Heskey. Their goals are formed more in the flow of the attack with more passing into spaces, which I do feel fit Young's play just fine. Possible Rooney rips Young's throat out. I have just always happened to been a fan of Young and think this will work out. Still a huge concern with central midfield.

'newteech said:
Make it fun.If you have any cones, knock them over and have her "wake them up" with her feet- one foot flips the cone slowly and with control back up... good for developing her balance standing on a plant foot for kicking. Then have her dribble the ball around and knock the cones down with the ball- it will get her thinking about small kicks vs big kicks and develop some control while she maneuvers the ball to each cone.Play a kind of flag-tag, where you have her chase you (without a ball) and try to grab a t-shirt/towel out of your waistband- gets her moving around and looking up, and hopefully a little competitive.Then have her chase you around while she dribbles the ball (call them "little kicks") and give her stickers or something every time she can hit you with the ball- I use the word chase lightly- you'll go slow and zig-zag ever so slightly as she gets used to dribbling so that she has the idea to look up and follow you while also changing direction while also dribbling. It will probably start with you hitting her kicks instead of the otherway around.Play a game of golf, where she tries to kick the ball at things you've layed out ahead of time (cones, toys, t-shirts... whatever, but ideally each one is different and distinct, like mini-golf)- you can keep score. Set up an obstacle course of some kind- first zig-zag through the cones, then jump over the cones, do a cartwheel or something she can handle and then give a big "hi-ya" kick into a goal. You can always change what she does, but try to incorporate agility stuff- rolling on the ground, jumping, etc- before the big kick. Always have her do a goal dance- see if you can find a youtube compilation of goal celebrations in case you need inspiration.Then there's always just having her try to score goals on you, while you look foolish trying to stop them. At least... my just turned 4yo son likes that.Mostly, like Christo says, just have fun- make it something you do together regularly so that she can expect it and hopefully expect to have fun. My kid started off quasi-interested, and now seems to relish this as a "dad" thing he gets to do. Also has started to want to watch games on tv with me (at least for a few minutes)- asks me to watch a game together... I couldn't be more proud :sniff:

'scoobygang said:
This is not the first time I've heard this criticism in regard to Young, but the exact same has been said of Nani in the past too. A forward makes a run to a spot, only to see Nani fail to deliver a cross, and try to take the defender 1v1. Nani has worked out alright. Further, the forwards that United will employ are not necessarily space eaters that necessitate arial crosses to score, such as AV had with Carew and Heskey. Their goals are formed more in the flow of the attack with more passing into spaces, which I do feel fit Young's play just fine. Possible Rooney rips Young's throat out. I have just always happened to been a fan of Young and think this will work out. Still a huge concern with central midfield.
:goodposting: all the way around. Seems like a good fit to me and I dont expect Sir Al to abide by any foolishness by Young, or he'll ride pine. I'm not a huge fan of Young's though- has always seemed inconsistent to me... kinda disappears, and yeah- doesn't always play the smart ball. But still should be a good move for him in the long run as a player.

Can someone point me to a good online discussion between the strengths and weaknesses of the 4-4-2 and the 4-3-3, or just formations in general?
Zonalmarking.net is a site that does tactical analysis and breakdowns of major matches across the top leagues in Europe throughout the season. Currently they have been doing reviews of the Gold Cup. For example here is their review of the US v Panama game.Jonathan Wilson is probably the best writer on tactics and theory going round at the moment. He writes for The Guardian and for Sports Illustrated. Here is his article list on The Guardian site. I would also highly recommend his book Inverting The Pyramid to anyone in this thread - it is essentially a history of football tactics and strategy from the roots of the game in the 19th Century up to when it was published in 2008.

'Christo said:
'newteech said:
That's why the US sucks at soccer, guy :mellow:

'Christo said:
'newteech said:
That's why the US sucks at soccer, guy :mellow:
The rest of the world is better than us because they love the game. If people don't love the game they won't work hard at it.

Can someone point me to a good online discussion between the strengths and weaknesses of the 4-4-2 and the 4-3-3, or just formations in general?
Zonalmarking.net is a site that does tactical analysis and breakdowns of major matches across the top leagues in Europe throughout the season. Currently they have been doing reviews of the Gold Cup. For example here is their review of the US v Panama game.Jonathan Wilson is probably the best writer on tactics and theory going round at the moment. He writes for The Guardian and for Sports Illustrated. Here is his article list on The Guardian site. I would also highly recommend his book Inverting The Pyramid to anyone in this thread - it is essentially a history of football tactics and strategy from the roots of the game in the 19th Century up to when it was published in 2008.
Rules. Thank you!

This is an awesome post

This is an awesome post
yeah- wow. never even heard of that!btw... and I wonder if andy used the same formation as a kid- but my very first team when I was 10 (late 70s) used a 2-3-5. 5 freaking forwards, each with it's own name: left wing, left inside, center forward, etc. I still am not sure how 2 guys were supposed to mark 5... btw, scored a hat-trick in my first game :bowtie: ... seemed like it was a normal thing to do.

ok- off to birth La Floppolinha.

given the amount of kicking she's been doing the last bunch of months, it's pretty clear where her future lies... the 20th version of WPS playing for the Dubuque Diamonds.

The best book every written in formations in my opinion was Flat Back Four, The Tactical Game. It really gives a wonderful historical and technical analysis of formations over time and shows how some of the great teams employed them.It is an older book (90's) but you can find it on eBay and Amazon pretty easily.

This is an awesome post
yeah- wow. never even heard of that!btw... and I wonder if andy used the same formation as a kid- but my very first team when I was 10 (late 70s) used a 2-3-5. 5 freaking forwards, each with it's own name: left wing, left inside, center forward, etc. I still am not sure how 2 guys were supposed to mark 5... btw, scored a hat-trick in my first game :bowtie: ... seemed like it was a normal thing to do.

ok- off to birth La Floppolinha.

given the amount of kicking she's been doing the last bunch of months, it's pretty clear where her future lies... the 20th version of WPS playing for the Dubuque Diamonds.
Yup, I certainly remember the 2-3-5. I think every youth team in the country used that in the late 70's :) . Wish you the best of luck on the birth!!!

btw... and I wonder if andy used the same formation as a kid- but my very first team when I was 10 (late 70s) used a 2-3-5. 5 freaking forwards, each with it's own name: left wing, left inside, center forward, etc.
Yup, I certainly remember the 2-3-5. I think every youth team in the country used that in the late 70's :) .
this brings back a long stored memory.My father was an Italian immigrant. He understood libero, cattenachio and the various severe defensive formations Italy used in the 70's.

I remember him taking me to my first game and the American dad who was coaching us set us up in the 2-3-5. My dad scratched his head and then proceeded to argue with the coach that the formation must be inverted :rant: :rant: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was embarrassed at the time but now I can see the humor in it.

2-3-5 and variations on it is what teams played in the early 20th century, until 4-2-4 took over as the predominant formation in the late 1940s/early 50s. Not sure why youth teams would be playing that way in the 1970s though, seems really dumb.

2-3-5 and variations on it is what teams played in the early 20th century, until 4-2-4 took over as the predominant formation in the late 1940s/early 50s. Not sure why youth teams would be playing that way in the 1970s though, seems really dumb.
Think about the soccer knowledge at the time in the country. They were literally clueless but god bless them. If the clueless dads did not help get youth soccer going during the Pele boom, who knows where we would be right now.

Really not that shocking. Americans put a premium on offense, so you overload there. Though I think my early teams were a 3-3-4, moving to a 4-3-3 as I got older.

The U17 results from yesterday really favored the US. Surprisingly Holland was the first team eliminated followed by Jamaica. Argentina is in a precarious position in 3rd with a negative GD.

Mexico went 3-0 in the first round to easily win group A.

Here are the scenarios for the US from wiki

advance if they do not lose to New Zealand

will be eliminated if they lose and either

Czech Republic and Uzbekistan draw or

Uzbekistan lose and their margin is at least 5 goals less than United States' margin (4 if Uzbekistan score more) or

Czech Republic lose and their margin is at least 5 goals less than United States' margin (4 if Czech Republic score at least 4 more)

US game starts in about 10 minutes.

Argentina got a great result when Canada and Rwanda manage to kock both themselves out with a 0-0 draw that recently finished. . Argentina are through as one of the 3rd place teams.

Users who are viewing this thread