What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (3 Viewers)

I did not understand the point of the scene when Kim got stuck in the oil field.  

Was that suppose to be a foreshadow for the car accident at the end of the show?

They just keep underlining her as the kind of person who puts it all on herself. Most gals would make that cel call to the cowboy. Crashin' Kimmy dont play.
I tried that board under a tire once and it didn't work.  Of course I was in mud.  Maybe a little booze in me too. Thankfully the farmer, whose land me and my buddies were trespassing on to fish, pulled me out with his tractor.  He was pretty nice considering the circumstances. 

I tried that board under a tire once and it didn't work.  Of course I was in mud.  Maybe a little booze in me too. Thankfully the farmer, whose land me and my buddies were trespassing on to fish, pulled me out with his tractor.  He was pretty nice considering the circumstances. 
I was trespassing on a neighbor's land to fish and he shot me in the back with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.  my parents said I deserved it. 

can you imagine what would happen if you shot a ####### 8 year old with a 12 gauge loaded with rock salt today?

I did not understand the point of the scene when Kim got stuck in the oil field.  

Was that suppose to be a foreshadow for the car accident at the end of the show?
At the time of Kim being stuck, I was wondering if after talking with the oil cowboy, that she stumbled across maybe a natural disaster around the area of the oil drilling that was across the state line - therefore possibly becoming a much larger FEDERAL case. 

St. Louis Bob said:
Jimmy ####### with Irene finally crossed a line with me.  You just don't mess with old people, man.

ETA

INNOCENT old people. 
Agreed.  They really made liking Jimmy a lot more difficult after that.  Conning an elderly lady to where all of her friends turn on her to serve your end is a total **** move. 

Sure. She was in over her head and close to the edge. Trying to handle everything. And all because of Jimmy.

Sure. She was in over her head and close to the edge. Trying to handle everything. And all because of Jimmy.
Jimmy lost a lot of face for the Irene stuff but not sure we can really pin Kim's issues on him.  All along he's practically pleaded with her to not worry about his half, which he has said repeatedly he would take care of and has delivered on each time.

Jimmy lost a lot of face for the Irene stuff but not sure we can really pin Kim's issues on him.  All along he's practically pleaded with her to not worry about his half, which he has said repeatedly he would take care of and has delivered on each time.
I meant because she got involved with him in the first place. It's been a slow developing storm that's now reached hurricane levels.

Assuming HHM settles... will they now have the 8m cash in their coffers to buy off Chuck?
I was thinking about this as well...  but the offer was 17.4, HHM gets 33% so 5.8mil...  Jimmy gets 20% of 5.8mil, so that only leaves HHM w/ 4.64mil...  would Chuck take over 4mil to just go away?  could work....

Assuming HHM settles... will they now have the 8m cash in their coffers to buy off Chuck?
I was thinking that was the whole reason for the "And I know the company does not have that money" line from Chuck, but then I questioned how big would HHM's cut even be?  I would assume after the clients get their small piece, Jimmy gets his chunk and Davis and Mane grab what I assume will be a very large chunk, there would not be much left.

I was thinking about this as well...  but the offer was 17.4, HHM gets 33% so 5.8mil...  Jimmy gets 20% of 5.8mil, so that only leaves HHM w/ 4.64mil...  would Chuck take over 4mil to just go away?  could work....
The 4 mill would add to what ever they may also have in reserve.  When Chuck said he knew they did not have 8 million, it does not preclude them from having 5-6 million on hand before the settlement.

Thanks for the 33% number, that answered my concern from above.

The 4 mill would add to what ever they may also have in reserve.  When Chuck said he knew they did not have 8 million, it does not preclude them from having 5-6 million on hand before the settlement.

Thanks for the 33% number, that answered my concern from above.
I forgot about Davis and Mane tho, I don't remember their cut.

So did Kim just zone out or did she fall asleep at the wheel? The quick cut made me think she fell asleep.

Agreed.  They really made liking Jimmy a lot more difficult after that.  Conning an elderly lady to where all of her friends turn on her to serve your end is a total **** move. 
I think the writers knew that and threw in that scene where Jimmy appeals to Howard to settle in order to sand the edges a bit.  Yes, it benefits Jimmy (and Howard seeing right through that was choice) but it really also benefits the members of the class action - dragging it out was really only benefiting HHM and Davis & Main.  Jimmy's chicanery is still self-serving and cruel, but positioning it this way stopped it from being utterly loathsome.

I thought she fell asleep. Some long blinks in the time before the crash.
I rewound it to watch again and they don't ever show her eyes close.

I was actually saying that I hoped she didn't have an accident and die just before it happened. It seemed set up for one of those typical smash from the side scenes. Even anticipating it, I jumped when it happened.

interesting how she was saying "this deal is more than fair" for the presentation to the landowners--  obviously it is a payoff and benefits the oil rig owner, so she may have realized that this is the kind of deal Jimmy would make, and she is going against her better judgement by making this deal- all because of Jimmy..  and then CRASH!

I was actually saying that I hoped she didn't have an accident and die just before it happened. It seemed set up for one of those typical smash from the side scenes. Even anticipating it, I jumped when it happened.
Sepinwall's review mentioned how, as viewers, anytime we see out the side window from the perspective of the driver or passenger, we're conditioned now to expect the car to get T-boned. It's true, whenever I see that shot, I always think it's coming.

If they showed her actually dozing off before crashing it wouldn't have been so startling. They showed it in a realistic way from her perspective. That's how people who fall asleep at the wheel would describe the experience. Like everything else in the show it was shot really well.

Sepinwall's review mentioned how, as viewers, anytime we see out the side window from the perspective of the driver or passenger, we're conditioned now to expect the car to get T-boned. It's true, whenever I see that shot, I always think it's coming.
Definitely! I hate when they do it and hate now that I'm always thinking it's going to happen.

If they showed her actually dozing off before crashing it wouldn't have been so startling. They showed it in a realistic way from her perspective. That's how people who fall asleep at the wheel would describe the experience. Like everything else in the show it was shot really well.
Exactly, that's why I thought she fell asleep. My wife was just thinking she wasn't paying attention. It went too quick for her to be awake, imo.

Exactly, that's why I thought she fell asleep. My wife was just thinking she wasn't paying attention. It went too quick for her to be awake, imo.
She came to at the moment of impact. Jump cut from just before dozing off to crash. More foreshadowing in my opinion with the final shot pulling back to show the sharp curve in the road ahead.

It's gonna be a bad ending for Chuck.  The firm he built doesn't want him back.  He either settles for money and leaves the firm, or he returns to a firm that doesn't want him. 

Plus he is still struggling with his mental illness.  Not having any hope of returning to the firm will only exacerbate his demise since he views his true calling in life to be a respected lawyer.  That has been taken from him and the lawsuit he is threatening to file won't bring that back for him.  Jimmy isn't going to be around to help him either when the firm isn't there to support him any longer. 

It's gonna be a bad ending for Chuck.  The firm he built doesn't want him back.  He either settles for money and leaves the firm, or he returns to a firm that doesn't want him. 

Plus he is still struggling with his mental illness.  Not having any hope of returning to the firm will only exacerbate his demise since he views his true calling in life to be a respected lawyer.  That has been taken from him and the lawsuit he is threatening to file won't bring that back for him.  Jimmy isn't going to be around to help him either when the firm isn't there to support him any longer. 
Maybe Chuck turns into the wheelchair ding-ding guy.

I was trespassing on a neighbor's land to fish and he shot me in the back with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.  my parents said I deserved it. 

can you imagine what would happen if you shot a ####### 8 year old with a 12 gauge loaded with rock salt today?
There was a guy an old farmer that had wheat in a flood plain by my house when I was a kid.  My cousin and myself like to make trails, forts and stuff in it.  Many times we were shot at with rock salt which was part of the fun.  Didn't even occur to me until your post that the land it was grown on was nourished many time with nuclear waste.

Yeah, there was a definition jump/cut in the camera before the crash, as if there was a gap missing (IE the short duration she was asleep).

Chuck doesn't want to be bought out, being a lawyer is priceless to him.  Plus what does he need more money for, he already has more camping equipment than a Boy Scout Jamboree.

I fell asleep and drove through a wooden telphone pole.

I didn't remember a thing but being in pain laying on my seat

Last edited by a moderator:

I think there is zero chance Chuck would take any money. Chuck wants to either remain with the firm or he would drag this out as long as he possibly could making this case his job for however long he could.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting how she was saying "this deal is more than fair" for the presentation to the landowners--  obviously it is a payoff and benefits the oil rig owner, so she may have realized that this is the kind of deal Jimmy would make, and she is going against her better judgement by making this deal- all because of Jimmy..  and then CRASH!
interesting take...nice

This was my take on it.

When Jimmy told her the Sandpiper case settled, she was surprised by it settling so soon... and probably knew Jimmy pulled his tricks to get it settled quicker because he needed it settled quick, but that the clients would probably be better served by letting the case run its course. 

When she was in the car preparing for the conversation, she realized she was getting the Gatwood case settled quicker because she needed it settled quick, but that the client would probably be better served by letting the case run its course. 

When she realized what she was doing to Gatwood is no different than what Jimmy did to the victims of Sandpiper, she was so shocked she forgot that she was driving and crashed.

This was my take on it.

When Jimmy told her the Sandpiper case settled, she was surprised by it settling so soon... and probably knew Jimmy pulled his tricks to get it settled quicker because he needed it settled quick, but that the clients would probably be better served by letting the case run its course. 

When she was in the car preparing for the conversation, she realized she was getting the Gatwood case settled quicker because she needed it settled quick, but that the client would probably be better served by letting the case run its course. 

When she realized what she was doing to Gatwood is no different than what Jimmy did to the victims of Sandpiper, she was so shocked she forgot that she was driving and crashed.
The client said he would prefer to have it done in two weeks so he didn't have to pay the taxes.  You're not very good at watching tv.

Jimmy realized HHM was holding out for more $$ with no concern about the clients all being very old and likely to die before they see any money.  Sure he needed his too, but Irene and co. probably don't have 5-10 years to wait for a settlement.  This was the only way he could make Irene go against the lawyers at HHM. 

This was my take on it.

i'd call that a pretty good fulcrum for what will happen next week

Users who are viewing this thread