What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Washington Redskins 2013 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Yes, it is depressing reading that, but what did it tell us that we didn't already know/fear? At this point, if Griffin comes back and has a HOF as we all imagined he would earlier this year, he should have Dr. Andrews introduce him. For better or worse, the track of this franchise depends on the fragile knee of RG3.

I'm not sure if Rich Tandler has a source or not, but he's saying it's "possible" that Hall moves to FS. It could just be his thoughts on what to do with Hall.

Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_TandlerCSNBack if $ can be worked out. Move to FS possible. RT @skins212689: Do u see D. Hall coming back next year & do u think he might move to F.S

Lost in all the RG3 talk is that the Redskins are still pursuing a reduction in the cap penalty for 2013 and there has been some thought that they may actually be successful.
That's good...is there an article or something with the latest?
Monday's Wash Post:
Mike Shanahan suggests Redskins not done with salary cap case

By Mark Maske , Updated: January 7, 2013

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan suggested Monday that the team isn’t done contesting the $36 million in salary cap reductions over two years that it was given in March by the NFL.

“I can’t answer that at this time,” Shanahan said. “So that means we’re still involved in it. Yes, we’re still involved in it. When I can speak about that, I will speak. But at this time, I can’t. I think that answers your question.”

The league, with the consent of the players’ union, gave the Redskins a $36 million cap reduction over two years for the way in which the team structured players’ contracts during the sport’s season without a salary cap in 2010. The Dallas Cowboys were given a $10 million salary cap reduction over two years. The league ruled that the teams technically violated no salary cap rules but attempted to gain an unfair competitive advantage.

The teams denied wrongdoing and challenged the cap reductions in an arbitration case. But that case was dismissed by an arbitrator in May. The union filed a collusion case against the league the following day, accusing teams of operating with a secret salary cap in the uncapped year. But a federal judge in Minnesota dismissed the union’s collusion case last week.

Several people familiar with the case have said they believe it’s highly unlikely that the Redskins or Cowboys will be able to regain any of the salary cap space they’ve lost.
Hmm, I thought I heard Grant Paulsen or Chris Russell on the radio the other day saying "insiders" were confident they could regain a large chunk of it.
Aritcle on the Cowboy's 2013 cap situation (currently, they will be over the cap next year). Basically, they'll probably have problems keeping some of the players they already have (that they would want), not to mention signing any new players.Whether the 'Skins can reclaim some of their penalty-reduced space or not, aren't they already under for 2013?

Aritcle on the Cowboy's 2013 cap situation (currently, they will be over the cap next year). Basically, they'll probably have problems keeping some of the players they already have (that they would want), not to mention signing any new players.

Whether the 'Skins can reclaim some of their penalty-reduced space or not, aren't they already under for 2013?
Rich Tandler answers my question. He's saying the 'Skins are currently $4 million over.
Estimates for all teams

Rich Campbell shares his thoughts on RGIII's knee injury/rehab. It's long, with lots of "temper your expectations" reminders. He ends with the following, though:
When I went to Baylor for Griffin’s Pro Day last March, coach Art Briles and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery described to me how Griffin matured and grew as a passer during his rehabilitation, which cost him most of the 2009 season.“Something was taken away from him that he loved – football,” Briles said. “He got to see how much he missed it. He got to look at it from a different perspective – from the sideline with the headphones and in the press box, watching practice, watching tape from a different perspective. He wasn’t watching himself as much as he watching schemes and understanding the intricacies of why they should work in this situation. That part of it was a natural maturing process that he handled extremely well.”Added Montgomery: “It was rough on him. He had never been hurt. It allowed him, No. 1, to physically develop a little bit more. He got to put on some good weight, get a little bit stronger. He worked his tail off, now. It also let him sit back and watch the game and see things and how things were happening on the field. It was like that redshirt year that he didn’t have. But he already had a taste of it and knew what he was looking for and what he could do if he was in that situation, so it was an even better scenario from that standpoint of, OK, it’s been taken away from me. When he came back, he worked every day like it was the last because it had been taken away. When you have something like that that you love and then you finally get it back, it was special.”So the next time we see Griffin, and I'm not sure when that will be, it's safe to assume he will have watched a ton of game film.

Washington Redskins were also targeted by an imposter using a fake female identity onlinehttp://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/washington-redskins-were-targeted-imposter-using-fake-female-181105506--nfl.html

Maybe Manti Te'o will fit in the NFL better than we all thought.In mid-December, well before it was reported that Te'o was duped in a "catfishing" scheme by a perpetrator who made up a woman named Lennay Kekua that Te'o believed to be his girlfriend, the Washington Redskins were told to avoid a person who was initiating contact with players by using a fake identity, NFL.com reported.The online name of the person in question was @RedRidnH00d, "her" pseudonym was Sidney Ackerman and the report said at least four Redskins had online contact with the person. The players were told to avoid the person running the scam via a memo that went up on the wall of the team's locker room."If you think about it, a lot of them are single guys, and they see somebody who looks good in a picture or something," Redskins director of player development Phillip Daniels told NFL.com. "In many cases, it involves someone who is a fan of the team, so they'll start talking about the team. You have to recognize that something just isn't right."But you're talking about a lot of guys who are single. I don't fault the guys. I fault the people who are doing this crazy stuff, causing these problems."The report said "Ackerman" used pictures of adult entertainer C.J. Miles to start conversations with the players. The Facebook and Twitter accounts used by the imposter were taken down once it was clear NFL.com was going to publish the story. Another Twitter account, @RideAndDieChick, also used Miles' pictures as an avatar and was followed by 22 verified NFL players and six verified NBA players, the report said, and according to NFL.com the person operating that account claimed to have had conversations with three prominent football players. That account was deactivated this week.This type of story most likely isn't limited to the Redskins and Te'o - those are just the ones we now know about. Te'o's much publicized hoax probably had many people, including famous athletes, doing a double take and figuring out if women they had befriended online were in fact, real. While the Redskins' scam artist didn't get as far as those who pulled the trick on Te'o, it's obviously an issue that, at very least, professional teams and the leagues themselves will have to deal with, including educating their players.

Washington Redskins were also targeted by an imposter using a fake female identity onlinehttp://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/washington-redskins-were-targeted-imposter-using-fake-female-181105506--nfl.html

Maybe Manti Te'o will fit in the NFL better than we all thought.In mid-December, well before it was reported that Te'o was duped in a "catfishing" scheme by a perpetrator who made up a woman named Lennay Kekua that Te'o believed to be his girlfriend, the Washington Redskins were told to avoid a person who was initiating contact with players by using a fake identity, NFL.com reported.The online name of the person in question was @RedRidnH00d, "her" pseudonym was Sidney Ackerman and the report said at least four Redskins had online contact with the person. The players were told to avoid the person running the scam via a memo that went up on the wall of the team's locker room."If you think about it, a lot of them are single guys, and they see somebody who looks good in a picture or something," Redskins director of player development Phillip Daniels told NFL.com. "In many cases, it involves someone who is a fan of the team, so they'll start talking about the team. You have to recognize that something just isn't right."But you're talking about a lot of guys who are single. I don't fault the guys. I fault the people who are doing this crazy stuff, causing these problems."The report said "Ackerman" used pictures of adult entertainer C.J. Miles to start conversations with the players. The Facebook and Twitter accounts used by the imposter were taken down once it was clear NFL.com was going to publish the story. Another Twitter account, @RideAndDieChick, also used Miles' pictures as an avatar and was followed by 22 verified NFL players and six verified NBA players, the report said, and according to NFL.com the person operating that account claimed to have had conversations with three prominent football players. That account was deactivated this week.This type of story most likely isn't limited to the Redskins and Te'o - those are just the ones we now know about. Te'o's much publicized hoax probably had many people, including famous athletes, doing a double take and figuring out if women they had befriended online were in fact, real. While the Redskins' scam artist didn't get as far as those who pulled the trick on Te'o, it's obviously an issue that, at very least, professional teams and the leagues themselves will have to deal with, including educating their players.
the junks were talking about it todaytook the redskins players 3 days to realize it was a hoax.. took te'o 3 years :rolleyes:

How bad was he hurt? This is diappointing. It really seemed like he was turning his life around. I know the article says that he wasn't a suspect but at the same time he was tasered three times? Why would they do that? (other than perhaps if he was just large and the police were racist...and not sure if there is evidence for that...)I'm sure he'll be fine next year but it's still worrisome based on his past suspensions for MJ. Also, whenever I hear bar fight, I think of Brandon Banks getting stabbed in the lung, and never returning the same again...

How bad was he hurt? This is diappointing. It really seemed like he was turning his life around. I know the article says that he wasn't a suspect but at the same time he was tasered three times? Why would they do that? (other than perhaps if he was just large and the police were racist...and not sure if there is evidence for that...)I'm sure he'll be fine next year but it's still worrisome based on his past suspensions for MJ. Also, whenever I hear bar fight, I think of Brandon Banks getting stabbed in the lung, and never returning the same again...
Do some reading. The cops didn't taser Trent, the guy they arrested did. He tasered him and hit him over the head with a champagne bottle, and was arrested.

Do some reading. The cops didn't taser Trent, the guy they arrested did. He tasered him and hit him over the head with a champagne bottle, and was arrested.
I read the article and didn't see a statement that the man arrested did the tasering. This is what I read: "He required seven stitches after someone cracked a bottle over his head, and he was reportedly tasered during the melee..." It wasn't clear to me who was doing the tasering. Good to know however that it wasn't the police. Can you point me to the place in the article where it says that the guy doing the tasering was the man arrested...not sure why I missed it!

I read the article and didn't see a statement that the man arrested did the tasering. This is what I read: "He required seven stitches after someone cracked a bottle over his head, and he was reportedly tasered during the melee..." It wasn't clear to me who was doing the tasering. Good to know however that it wasn't the police. Can you point me to the place in the article where it says that the guy doing the tasering was the man arrested...not sure why I missed it!
OK, this one clarifies: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/trent-williams-was-hit-by-a-champagne-bottle-tasered-in-fight/Has it been reported how the fight started and why Williams was involved?

Danny Smith is the first coaching move of the offseason...he is moving on to the Steelers to be their ST coach. After getting requests for years to interview him and 'Skins saying "NO," this time they said "YES" and BAM he's gone. Addition by subtraction boyz!!!!

OK, this one clarifies: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/trent-williams-was-hit-by-a-champagne-bottle-tasered-in-fight/Has it been reported how the fight started and why Williams was involved?
Last I heard (haven't followed this the last couple days) is that Williams and his agent weren't commenting and weren't even returning phone calls to reporters.

Special teams coach Danny Smith leaving for Pittsburgh SteelersBy Lenny Bernstein , Updated: January 30, 2013Longtime Redskins special teams coach Danny Smith has accepted the same position with the Pittsburgh Steelers, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed Wednesday.Smith, who has coached Washington’s special teams since 2004, received permission to interview with the Steelers earlier this week. He has long been pursued by opposing teams, but the Redskins have always worked to keep him on staff.The Steelers asked to interview Smith in 2010, but were denied. But the Redskins allowed Smith to interview with his hometown team this offseason. Smith still has family in the Pittsburgh area
.http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/30/special-teams-coach-danny-smith-leaving-for-pittsburgh-steelers/

From PFT: There are a lot of free agent tackles this year. With so many available and a deep draft class of tackles, it may be hard for them all to get paid. If true, that could be good news for the Redskins, who have had trouble finding a free agent RT.

Free-agent tackles could have a hard time getting paidPosted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2013, 3:54 PM EST When assessing the value of a looming free agent, one of the most overlooked factors is a team’s ability to replace him. For teams faced with the possibility of losing a tackle to free agency, this year it’ll be pretty easy to fill the position. There’s a glut of free-agent tackles due to hit the market, and tackle is regarded as one of the deepest talent pools in this year’s draft. So if the Dolphins opt not to pay Jake Long $15 million under the franchise tag or to give him a long-term deal with the franchise number serving as the starting point, the Dolphins will have options. Ditto for other teams, like the Chiefs. Instead of spending big money to keep Branden Albert, Kansas City could simply use the first overall pick on Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel, nailing down the position for at least the next five years. Or the Chiefs could sign one of the other tackles who’ll be available on the open market — especially after the first week, when the money slows down. In New England, if Sebastian Vollmer wants too much money, the Pats could opt to go with Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon, supplementing the position with veterans who will be begging for work once the free-agent music stops playing. This reality makes the Broncos’ reported willingness to use the franchise tag on Ryan Clady a little confusing. It could be, however, that the Broncos are more concerned about continuity, given that there’s a narrow window within which Peyton Manning can pursue another Super Bowl win. Still, plenty of alternatives will be available in free agency, from Demetress Bell (who was cut this week by the Eagles) to Sam Baker to Gosder Cherilus to Winston Justice to Phil Loadholt to Bryant McKinnie to Andre Smith to Jermon Bushrod to Long, Albert, and Vollmer. The sheer numbers, coupled with the influx of rookie tackles, will make it difficult to get paid. Long could have the best luck to get a big deal on the open market, given the sizzle that goes along with being the first pick in the 2008 draft. Though it’s believed his play has declined in recent years, there likely will be a team both with a need and the cap room to make a splash, if/when the Dolphins decide not to tender a franchise tag reflecting a 20-percent raise over the eight-figure cap number that applied to Long in 2012.

Fred Davis

IMO, it is crucial to sign this guy. He is far superior to what they have at TE and in this offense, a TE threat is essential. Especially when the WR talent is middle of the road. After he was lost for the season in the 1st Giant game, they had their two worst offensive games of the season - at Pit & the homecoming debacle against Carolina. It took a bye week then home cookin vs the bEagles for the offense to adjust to his absence. much like V Davis is a key for SF...Witten for Dallas...Graham in NO...etc...we need to keep Sleepy Davis :football:

Keith Burns hired as special teams coordinator.
The Redskins hired Burns to be their special teams coordinator Monday, a league source confirmed. One team official said the move was not yet official, but it is expected to be announced Tuesday. Burns spent the past six seasons as an assistant coach with Denver after being hired by Shanahan in 2007 as a special teams assistant. Burns takes over for Danny Smith, who left to join Pittsburgh's staff after nine seasons with Washington.Burns, who played for T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, spent 13 years in the NFL, including 11 with Denver in a career that started as a seventh-round pick in 1994. He was a special teams standout on the Broncos teams that won the Super Bowl after the 1997 and 1998 seasons.He spent two years as a special teams assistant, two more as a coaching assistant and the past two seasons as the assistant special teams coach.

Fred DavisIMO, it is crucial to sign this guy. He is far superior to what they have at TE and in this offense, a TE threat is essential. Especially when the WR talent is middle of the road. After he was lost for the season in the 1st Giant game, they had their two worst offensive games of the season - at Pit & the homecoming debacle against Carolina. It took a bye week then home cookin vs the bEagles for the offense to adjust to his absence. much like V Davis is a key for SF...Witten for Dallas...Graham in NO...etc...we need to keep Sleepy Davis :football:
Heard on ESPN 980 that many think Davis is on the verge of being an elite TE. If the Redskins think he will recover from his injury, they should lock him up with a long term deal.I also think it is ironic in 2008 when Davis was drafted, that so many hated the pick because we already had Chris Cooley. It turns out that despite all 10 picks making the team, only Davis and Rob Jackson had any long term value. I have always claimed that the point of the draft is to get good players, regardless of their position. If you pick the right players, you will have a good team. If you pick the wrong ones (or keep trading away your picks), the team will suck.FYI, the 2008 draft class was:2 34 Devin Thomas2 48 Fred Davis2 51 Malcolm Kelly3 96 Chad Rinehart4 124 Justin Tryon6 168 Durant Brooks6 180 Kareem Moore6 186 Colt Brennan7 242 Rob Jackson7 249 Chris Horton

Fred Davis

IMO, it is crucial to sign this guy. He is far superior to what they have at TE and in this offense, a TE threat is essential. Especially when the WR talent is middle of the road. After he was lost for the season in the 1st Giant game, they had their two worst offensive games of the season - at Pit & the homecoming debacle against Carolina. It took a bye week then home cookin vs the bEagles for the offense to adjust to his absence. much like V Davis is a key for SF...Witten for Dallas...Graham in NO...etc...we need to keep Sleepy Davis :football:
Heard on ESPN 980 that many think Davis is on the verge of being an elite TE. If the Redskins think he will recover from his injury, they should lock him up with a long term deal.
I guess I'll play the contrarian. :) Re-signing Davis worries me a little, for a few reasons. One reason is, although I certainly think he's talented, for varying reasons (not all related to on-field talent) he has not completed a full season as the starting TE. I know that can seem petty, or like I'm not taking into consideration all the reasons and circumstances surrounding that fact, but it still raises red flags in my mind.

Another reason is that, in it's most recent games, this team has done plenty well without Davis. I'm just not convinced that they would have scored more points, or won more games had Davis not been injured. And if the offense works just fine without him, why pay him elite TE money?

A final reason for me is that elite TE money. The 'Skins are already needing to reduce their cap number. Are they going to be able to afford to pay Davis $5 million or more like the top TEs?

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit if they let him shop around. If he can find another team willing to pay him top dollar, I say let him leave. But if they can agree to a nice cap friendly deal, then absolutely bring him back.

Fred Davis

Heard on ESPN 980 that many think Davis is on the verge of being an elite TE. If the Redskins think he will recover from his injury, they should lock him up with a long term deal.
I guess I'll play the contrarian. :) Re-signing Davis worries me a little, for a few reasons. One reason is, although I certainly think he's talented, for varying reasons (not all related to on-field talent) he has not completed a full season as the starting TE. I know that can seem petty, or like I'm not taking into consideration all the reasons and circumstances surrounding that fact, but it still raises red flags in my mind.

Another reason is that, in it's most recent games, this team has done plenty well without Davis. I'm just not convinced that they would have scored more points, or won more games had Davis not been injured. And if the offense works just fine without him, why pay him elite TE money?

A final reason for me is that elite TE money. The 'Skins are already needing to reduce their cap number. Are they going to be able to afford to pay Davis $5 million or more like the top TEs?

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit if they let him shop around. If he can find another team willing to pay him top dollar, I say let him leave. But if they can agree to a nice cap friendly deal, then absolutely bring him back.
Those question marks will keep the Davis' contract figures down. The article was talking about a contract like John Carlson for $25M for 5 years from a year ago. That is not top 5 money, but it is still a lot.

Those question marks will keep the Davis' contract figures down. The article was talking about a contract like John Carlson for $25M for 5 years from a year ago. That is not top 5 money, but it is still a lot.
If it's $5M/year in base salary, then it is top 5 money (see link in my previous post). If it's a potential $5M due to incentives, bonuses, etc. than that would be a little more palatable, IMO.I still think I'd rather see them stick with Paulsen/Cooley/Paul and save the millions for upgrading safety, or to go after a legit WR #1.

I know TEs have been more involved in the NFL the last several years, but I have a hard time justifying a big contract for one.

If it's $5M/year in base salary, then it is top 5 money (see link in my previous post). If it's a potential $5M due to incentives, bonuses, etc. than that would be a little more palatable, IMO.I still think I'd rather see them stick with Paulsen/Cooley/Paul and save the millions for upgrading safety, or to go after a legit WR #1.
I haven't looked at contracts of TEs, but I have hard time believing John Carson and Seattle's Zach Miller are top 5 TE, especially since Gronkowski and Hernandez signed new deals recently.

I haven't looked at contracts of TEs, but I have hard time believing John Carson and Seattle's Zach Miller are top 5 TE, especially since Gronkowski and Hernandez signed new deals recently.
Just read this article. It has the top TE salary at $9M and the 5th TE salary at $7.235. I suspect those are actual salaries and not cap figures, which tend to be lower in the initial years and higher in the out years.

I would like them to pick up Casey, let Davis go, and upgrade in DB

Brace and Merling, two reclamation projects on the DL...I like it. It worked with Carriker (still the best trade, value-wise, of the Shanahan era so far). Although Carriker was in the wrong scheme all along, so it's a hit different.

Users who are viewing this thread